Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
oneequalszero
05-02-2006, 11:43 PM

This song seems like one of those with a plain surface meaning, but too much to it to stop there (on the surface, it seems like a total joke of a song, which is kinda hard to believe). So, combing through the forums, here's an attempt to collect all the relevant pieces, as well as throw in a couple other things I noticed, and at least get some questions to work with. Anything I put in quotes I took from somewhere else (though I did a poor job showing this) in this forum, I'm not gonna bother formally quoting the whole damn thing.

Surface Meaning: Pretty straight forward. This song transitions in from "lost keys", together they make up the story of a patient in a hospital that has just tripped his brains off and is rambling about all the stuff he saw. In case you believe it isn't a drug experince, there are lots of clear indicators: "Blame Hofmann", referring to the guy that invented LSD, references to orange peels, which are commonly used along with acid to enhance the trip. In the end, he thinks he heard a great important message, but can't remember what it was (lost revalations being a pretty cliche experience of hallucinogenics). So that's that. Here's some interesting stuff that was dug up:

"Remember Blairs Ouija session he spoke about in Jan newsletter. He asks if it can tell the terrible secret one of the songs speak of. The answer he got was: (from the newsletter) * ** ET TESTS ON D"

The missing letters are A O R, as using them makes the message a scrambled version of "Rosetta Stoned". Thus: A OR ET TESTS ON D

A has been suggested to mean Adam, Acid, or Alien. I'm going with Acid, because the basic surface meaning of the song is that a guy thinks aliens nabbed him (ET TESTS) when really he's just tripping his ass off (thus the OR in between him, as in believe this or that).

"He asks what the letter D stands for and got the answer: DAVE
Then he asks what kind of vehicle does dave drive: VAN

Remember all this answers and now read from the March newsletter:

"And then I saw Dave. At first I thought it was just a mirage, but there he was in his van with the Phish sticker, door beads, and embroidered tapestries. I recognized him by his frizzy hair, dressed in a tie-dye tee, Baja hoodie and hemp pants, with the familiar Birkenstocks, kicking the hackiesack. So, the biker gangs didn't scare all the hippies away after all. They were back! Looking at him, I realized that Dave was the kind of guy who would hold tightly in his palm a certain piece of metal while repeating the word "Kazik." Well, at least he'd put something in that pipe of his and smoke it."

This comes from a book where a guy is given a communicator device by some aliens, and if he rubs it and says Kazik he can talk to them.

This is the Dave of course driving a Van and he even named the Birkenstocks we all know is in the lyrics of Rosetta Stoned."

The reference gets more specific here:

"The Dave the song is talking about is the character David from Six Feet Under. Specifically, the dream of David (in Season 5, one of the final episodes) where he's a hippy dude driving a van.

If you watch the scene closley, you'll see a sticker on the van that says, "Careful Not to Shit the Bed" and little alien head stickers all over the side.

Maynard (and TOOL in general) are close friends with Alan Ball (the creator of Six Feet Under). If you'll recall Alan Ball used one of A Perfect Circle's music videos in a past episode of Six Feet Under."

Something else, I think from a newsletter:

"The next question relating to the song, "Do you have any particular information about this song?"

"DIVINEKNOWLEDGECRPOLBAMSTOFGLO"

and here it is deciphered.

"Divine Knowledge
CRP = But
OL = I, Make, I made, 24, In the 24th part
BAMS = Forget, let them forget
TOFGLO = All things, all"

Divine knowledge.. but I forgot everything."

If this makes no sense to you, its enoch:
http://www.geocities.com/peripsol/En...Dictionary.htm

The title can be looked at like this: The speaker in the song (which looks to be this Dave guy from six feet under) used some powerful drugs, and hallucinated that he had been given an all important message. Rosetta refers to the message, Stoned refers to the fact that really he's just high as a kite.

Okay, thats the lyrical stuff. It's also been pointed out that there are a ridiculous number or riffs that seem to be derived or straight-up lifted from previous Tool songs (too many noted instances to list, but songs like Third Eye, H, The Grudge, and Triad have all been reportedly lifted from). Obviously, if a band was going to recycle old material because they had run out of inspiration, they wouldn't make it obvious by lumping it all into one huge derivative song, so we can assume there's some meaning behind this. It's been suggested that it's just a relation to the idea of acid, i.e. it gives it a flashback feeling, or a familiar but jumbled sort of feeling. I think there ought to be something deeper here, but I'm not really sure what to suggest. Suffice to say, I would like to see it more concretely tied into the meaning of the song.

One thing that has been almost totally ignored is the track length, which might be the first thing I noticed when I popped the CD in my computer. 11:11. I'm almost certain this isn't a coincidence, as its popped up before and there's a huge deal about it. One connection is the song Jimmy. He says eleven a bazillion times in there, the specific meaning behind it is up for debate. The most common theory is that it relates to him as a child age 11, but there's another that it relates to the big 11:11 conspiracy thing. If you're interested, try googling those four digits and that colon, you'll get more than you can handle. As I recall, its basically the idea that there is a chosen group of people, lightbringers or something like that, that exist to bring enlightenment to mankind. People that notice 11:11 a lot are lightbringers, its supposed to be a wake up call for them. Like I said, look into it. To me it seems like a bunch of garbage, which might play into the song's theme of idiocy.

One more thing about this: has anyone else noticed the track times on the CD seem oddly planned out? First of all, there are 11 tracks. Second, the middle track is exactly 1:11 long. Branching out from there, the CD has some odd symmetry to it. The two eleven minute numbers are each symetrically seperated from the center by one shorter track each. Looking past these to the first and last three, the relative lengths follow the same pattern: moving inward its middle, longest, shortest. This last bit is just the kind of random thing I notice, quite possible not significant at all. Anyway, thats all I can offer. Here's hoping it gets something good rolling.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Attempt at all-encompassing meaning summary

This song seems like one of those with a plain surface meaning, but too much to it to stop there (on the surface, it seems like a total joke of a song, which is kinda hard to believe). So, combing through the forums, here's an attempt to collect all the relevant pieces, as well as throw in a couple other things I noticed, and at least get some questions to work with. Anything I put in quotes I took from somewhere else (though I did a poor job showing this) in this forum, I'm not gonna bother formally quoting the whole damn thing.

Surface Meaning: Pretty straight forward. This song transitions in from "lost keys", together they make up the story of a patient in a hospital that has just tripped his brains off and is rambling about all the stuff he saw. In case you believe it isn't a drug experince, there are lots of clear indicators: "Blame Hofmann", referring to the guy that invented LSD, references to orange peels, which are commonly used along with acid to enhance the trip. In the end, he thinks he heard a great important message, but can't remember what it was (lost revalations being a pretty cliche experience of hallucinogenics). So that's that. Here's some interesting stuff that was dug up:

"Remember Blairs Ouija session he spoke about in Jan newsletter. He asks if it can tell the terrible secret one of the songs speak of. The answer he got was: (from the newsletter) * ** ET TESTS ON D"

The missing letters are A O R, as using them makes the message a scrambled version of "Rosetta Stoned". Thus: A OR ET TESTS ON D

A has been suggested to mean Adam, Acid, or Alien. I'm going with Acid, because the basic surface meaning of the song is that a guy thinks aliens nabbed him (ET TESTS) when really he's just tripping his ass off (thus the OR in between him, as in believe this or that).

"He asks what the letter D stands for and got the answer: DAVE
Then he asks what kind of vehicle does dave drive: VAN

Remember all this answers and now read from the March newsletter:

"And then I saw Dave. At first I thought it was just a mirage, but there he was in his van with the Phish sticker, door beads, and embroidered tapestries. I recognized him by his frizzy hair, dressed in a tie-dye tee, Baja hoodie and hemp pants, with the familiar Birkenstocks, kicking the hackiesack. So, the biker gangs didn't scare all the hippies away after all. They were back! Looking at him, I realized that Dave was the kind of guy who would hold tightly in his palm a certain piece of metal while repeating the word "Kazik." Well, at least he'd put something in that pipe of his and smoke it."

This comes from a book where a guy is given a communicator device by some aliens, and if he rubs it and says Kazik he can talk to them.

This is the Dave of course driving a Van and he even named the Birkenstocks we all know is in the lyrics of Rosetta Stoned."

The reference gets more specific here:

"The Dave the song is talking about is the character David from Six Feet Under. Specifically, the dream of David (in Season 5, one of the final episodes) where he's a hippy dude driving a van.

If you watch the scene closley, you'll see a sticker on the van that says, "Careful Not to Shit the Bed" and little alien head stickers all over the side.

Maynard (and TOOL in general) are close friends with Alan Ball (the creator of Six Feet Under). If you'll recall Alan Ball used one of A Perfect Circle's music videos in a past episode of Six Feet Under."

Something else, I think from a newsletter:

"The next question relating to the song, "Do you have any particular information about this song?"

"DIVINEKNOWLEDGECRPOLBAMSTOFGLO"

and here it is deciphered.

"Divine Knowledge
CRP = But
OL = I, Make, I made, 24, In the 24th part
BAMS = Forget, let them forget
TOFGLO = All things, all"

Divine knowledge.. but I forgot everything."

If this makes no sense to you, its enoch:
http://www.geocities.com/peripsol/En...Dictionary.htm

The title can be looked at like this: The speaker in the song (which looks to be this Dave guy from six feet under) used some powerful drugs, and hallucinated that he had been given an all important message. Rosetta refers to the message, Stoned refers to the fact that really he's just high as a kite.

Okay, thats the lyrical stuff. It's also been pointed out that there are a ridiculous number or riffs that seem to be derived or straight-up lifted from previous Tool songs (too many noted instances to list, but songs like Third Eye, H, The Grudge, and Triad have all been reportedly lifted from). Obviously, if a band was going to recycle old material because they had run out of inspiration, they wouldn't make it obvious by lumping it all into one huge derivative song, so we can assume there's some meaning behind this. It's been suggested that it's just a relation to the idea of acid, i.e. it gives it a flashback feeling, or a familiar but jumbled sort of feeling. I think there ought to be something deeper here, but I'm not really sure what to suggest. Suffice to say, I would like to see it more concretely tied into the meaning of the song.

One thing that has been almost totally ignored is the track length, which might be the first thing I noticed when I popped the CD in my computer. 11:11. I'm almost certain this isn't a coincidence, as its popped up before and there's a huge deal about it. One connection is the song Jimmy. He says eleven a bazillion times in there, the specific meaning behind it is up for debate. The most common theory is that it relates to him as a child age 11, but there's another that it relates to the big 11:11 conspiracy thing. If you're interested, try googling those four digits and that colon, you'll get more than you can handle. As I recall, its basically the idea that there is a chosen group of people, lightbringers or something like that, that exist to bring enlightenment to mankind. People that notice 11:11 a lot are lightbringers, its supposed to be a wake up call for them. Like I said, look into it. To me it seems like a bunch of garbage, which might play into the song's theme of idiocy.

One more thing about this: has anyone else noticed the track times on the CD seem oddly planned out? First of all, there are 11 tracks. Second, the middle track is exactly 1:11 long. Branching out from there, the CD has some odd symmetry to it. The two eleven minute numbers are each symetrically seperated from the center by one shorter track each. Looking past these to the first and last three, the relative lengths follow the same pattern: moving inward its middle, longest, shortest. This last bit is just the kind of random thing I notice, quite possible not significant at all. Anyway, thats all I can offer. Here's hoping it gets something good rolling.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
sasho81
05-03-2006, 02:24 AM

Nice work!
I just wanted to add that the title of the song is a play on words referring to the Rosetta Stone found in Egypt. That stone is considered to be the key to deciphering the hieroglyphs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_stone

If it has been mentioned before,just ignore it.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:24 AM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: Attempt at all-encompassing meaning summary

Nice work!
I just wanted to add that the title of the song is a play on words referring to the Rosetta Stone found in Egypt. That stone is considered to be the key to deciphering the hieroglyphs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_stone

If it has been mentioned before,just ignore it.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
agave21's Avatar agave21
05-03-2006, 04:55 AM

It has occurred to me that the snippets of other songs in Rosetta Stoned are keys to decipher their meanings or the true meaning of Rosetta Stoned.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:55 AM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

It has occurred to me that the snippets of other songs in Rosetta Stoned are keys to decipher their meanings or the true meaning of Rosetta Stoned.
05-03-2006, 05:30 AM

Rosetta Stoned i think makes 10000 days, somehow this song gives the whole ablum a mysterious feel, along with lost keys. I believe there is alot of meaning behind this song more than any of us can imagine. i have my own theory about what 11:11 means can anybody share theres??
Old 05-03-2006, 05:30 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Rosetta Stoned i think makes 10000 days, somehow this song gives the whole ablum a mysterious feel, along with lost keys. I believe there is alot of meaning behind this song more than any of us can imagine. i have my own theory about what 11:11 means can anybody share theres??
agave21's Avatar agave21
05-04-2006, 04:02 AM

"11:11
is a pre-encoded trigger
placed into our cellular memory banks
prior to our descent into matter."

http://www.nvisible.com/1111/1111Doorway.html
Old 05-04-2006, 04:02 AM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

"11:11
is a pre-encoded trigger
placed into our cellular memory banks
prior to our descent into matter."

http://www.nvisible.com/1111/1111Doorway.html
05-04-2006, 04:40 AM

I've said this before and i'll say it again:

Maynard, once interviewed, said that when young people start dabbling with drugs and start becoming 'spiritual' , the first thing they start noticing is strange synchronicities, like whenever they often look at their watch and see 11:11.

The interviewer then asked him if he found such patterns in life comforting. He said , "no, if anything they make life more confusing".

I think this is very relevant.

I will look for the interview (i think its up on youtube). Its the one where he's speaking to the asian girl whilst wearing some ridiculous sungalsses.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:40 AM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maynard, once interviewed, said that when young people start dabbling with drugs and start becoming 'spiritual' , the first thing they start noticing is strange synchronicities, like whenever they often look at their watch and see 11:11.

The interviewer then asked him if he found such patterns in life comforting. He said , "no, if anything they make life more confusing".

I will look for the interview (i think its up on youtube). Its the one where he's speaking to the asian girl whilst wearing some ridiculous sungalsses.
05-04-2006, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil

The interview: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lnNgYdw7eo0&search=maynard
Old 05-04-2006, 04:52 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil

The interview: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lnNgYdw7eo0&search=maynard

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply