Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Placid_Storm
04-23-2006, 01:14 AM

I've heard a lot of people saying they could hear sounds on this track from past Tool albums. I've picked through this song and highlighted all the points that are reminescent (for me) of older Tool works.

I've listed the time that this "signature" occurs in Rosetta Stoned and which Tool album/work/song it is reminescent of (to me):

1:12 - Lateralus ; synthesizer

3:00-3:10 - Lateralus ; descending drum roll (sounds like a ball bouncing and then coming to a stop. End of "Disposition")

6:02 and 8:13 - *I'm stuck on this one...* either Third eye (10:07) or No Quarter (5:35 and 9:43).... or perhaps a mix of the two? I know I've heard this riff somewhere before.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:14 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Fingerprints from past Tool albums

I've heard a lot of people saying they could hear sounds on this track from past Tool albums. I've picked through this song and highlighted all the points that are reminescent (for me) of older Tool works.

I've listed the time that this "signature" occurs in Rosetta Stoned and which Tool album/work/song it is reminescent of (to me):

1:12 - Lateralus ; synthesizer

3:00-3:10 - Lateralus ; descending drum roll (sounds like a ball bouncing and then coming to a stop. End of "Disposition")

6:02 and 8:13 - *I'm stuck on this one...* either Third eye (10:07) or No Quarter (5:35 and 9:43).... or perhaps a mix of the two? I know I've heard this riff somewhere before.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
nepenthe
05-02-2006, 02:52 AM

The riff that kicks in just after the 6 minute mark reminds me a lot of the riff in in the midsection of H.

And I can't help but think of the last part of The Grudge when those clapping stick things come in just after Adam is getting into his Heresy era Lustmord solo (at least that is what it reminds me of, has been a long time since i've heard Heresy).
Old 05-02-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Re: Fingerprints from past Tool albums

The riff that kicks in just after the 6 minute mark reminds me a lot of the riff in in the midsection of H.

And I can't help but think of the last part of The Grudge when those clapping stick things come in just after Adam is getting into his Heresy era Lustmord solo (at least that is what it reminds me of, has been a long time since i've heard Heresy).
hump
05-02-2006, 06:46 PM

You can hear almost identical riffs from H, Triad, and Third Eye in this song. Third Eye at about the 3 min mark, H. at about the 6 min mark, and Triad at about 7:18. You can hear all of them through out the song, but they are most apparent to me at these times.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

You can hear almost identical riffs from H, Triad, and Third Eye in this song. Third Eye at about the 3 min mark, H. at about the 6 min mark, and Triad at about 7:18. You can hear all of them through out the song, but they are most apparent to me at these times.
Steventh
05-02-2006, 07:48 PM

Yeah, the riff in the middle of the song is practically identical to the one riff in Third Eye. Not really a problem for me, because I think it flows well with the song. I'm still trying to digest the vocals, though.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Yeah, the riff in the middle of the song is practically identical to the one riff in Third Eye. Not really a problem for me, because I think it flows well with the song. I'm still trying to digest the vocals, though.
Carny_Handles's Avatar Carny_Handles
05-02-2006, 08:09 PM

i think tool did this so it would add to the chaotic experience of a trip while listening to that song. I was high as fuck when I first heard the song, and i could have sworn i was tripping because I heard the main riff for third eye in it, then i heard parts of H so i thought.. 'okay i've lost it' then i even heard parts of pushit live (drum solo).. but it was freaky at the time, but also added to the song that much more. Genus!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

i think tool did this so it would add to the chaotic experience of a trip while listening to that song. I was high as fuck when I first heard the song, and i could have sworn i was tripping because I heard the main riff for third eye in it, then i heard parts of H so i thought.. 'okay i've lost it' then i even heard parts of pushit live (drum solo).. but it was freaky at the time, but also added to the song that much more. Genus!
05-02-2006, 08:51 PM

There's many sonical references to older Tool material. The Reflection synth, the flangered chord in the beginning from H., the clap percussion from The Grudge and the guitar solo effect from Triad. There's also the same weird time signature from Flood at one point.

It's like a Tool song you'd hear in a dream. It has parts of the real thing, but it's twisted.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:51 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

There's many sonical references to older Tool material. The Reflection synth, the flangered chord in the beginning from H., the clap percussion from The Grudge and the guitar solo effect from Triad. There's also the same weird time signature from Flood at one point.

It's like a Tool song you'd hear in a dream. It has parts of the real thing, but it's twisted.
05-02-2006, 09:19 PM

"It's like a Tool song you'd hear in a dream. It has parts of the real thing, but it's twisted."

I'd be less charitable. It's like a song you'd hear written by a high-school band entirely composed of obsessive Tool fans with no ideas of their own, instead endlessly recycling old bits of Tool albums.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

"It's like a Tool song you'd hear in a dream. It has parts of the real thing, but it's twisted."

I'd be less charitable. It's like a song you'd hear written by a high-school band entirely composed of obsessive Tool fans with no ideas of their own, instead endlessly recycling old bits of Tool albums.
Talking Monkey
05-02-2006, 09:20 PM

i noticed this to. listining to it for the first time it was like i almost knew what was coming next. its great how they recycled old classic riffs, or 'see them under a new light', as MJK might have once said.
similarly i think the solo in 'Right in Two' is remincant of the one in the live version of 'Pushit' from salival.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

i noticed this to. listining to it for the first time it was like i almost knew what was coming next. its great how they recycled old classic riffs, or 'see them under a new light', as MJK might have once said.
similarly i think the solo in 'Right in Two' is remincant of the one in the live version of 'Pushit' from salival.
05-03-2006, 06:49 AM

no the riffs are definately deliberate. the third eye and H bits are too similar - i think Rosetta is sort of a coming togetehr of tool songs, maybe as part of the 'key to tool' theory.
i'm not saying that its a valid excuse to reuse old stuff, but it is definately on purpose
Old 05-03-2006, 06:49 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

no the riffs are definately deliberate. the third eye and H bits are too similar - i think Rosetta is sort of a coming togetehr of tool songs, maybe as part of the 'key to tool' theory.
i'm not saying that its a valid excuse to reuse old stuff, but it is definately on purpose
TurdEye13's Avatar TurdEye13
05-03-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe
That is what I thought after a few listens as well
Old 05-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe
That is what I thought after a few listens as well
05-03-2006, 04:40 PM

does anyone else think parts of it sound like the patient?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

does anyone else think parts of it sound like the patient?
dice5199
05-06-2006, 10:05 PM

From 8:13-8:37, Adam's guitar part does sound similar to his guitar part at the bridge for "No Quarter".
Old 05-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #12
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 13

From 8:13-8:37, Adam's guitar part does sound similar to his guitar part at the bridge for "No Quarter".
05-06-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Kind of reminds me of 3:10 from Jimmy
Old 05-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Kind of reminds me of 3:10 from Jimmy
apathetic goat's Avatar apathetic goat
05-07-2006, 08:21 PM

Ok, here's a list:

• 1:11 (!!) - 'Reflection' synth (0:43)
• 1:38 - Bassline reminiscent of 'The Grudge' interlude (1:19)
• 2:55 - Pick-scrape similar to beginning of 'Prison Sex'
• 2:57 - Riff similar to 'Third Eye' (2:54)
• 2:58 - Drum sound similar to end of 'Disposition'
• 6:01 - Riff similar to 'H.' (3:28)
• 7:19 - Guitar "solo" supposedly very similar to beginning solo of 'Triad'
• 7:43 - "Percussive clapping" from 'The Grudge' (7:36)
• 8:13 - Riff similar to 'H.' (3:28)
• 8:23 - Throaty screech/growl similar to the scream in 'The Grudge' (6:29)
• 10:20 - 'Reflection' synth (0:43)

(NOTE: I haven't heard Salival so I don't know about this No Quarter/Pushit (Live) stuff. I think it's unlikely they'd add things from a cover song.)

I really wish there was more from Opiate/Undertow (and there probably is). The riff that starts the last section at 10:29 sounds very familiar.

Last edited by apathetic goat; 05-07-2006 at 08:24 PM..
Old 05-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Ok, here's a list:

• 1:11 (!!) - 'Reflection' synth (0:43)
• 1:38 - Bassline reminiscent of 'The Grudge' interlude (1:19)
• 2:55 - Pick-scrape similar to beginning of 'Prison Sex'
• 2:57 - Riff similar to 'Third Eye' (2:54)
• 2:58 - Drum sound similar to end of 'Disposition'
• 6:01 - Riff similar to 'H.' (3:28)
• 7:19 - Guitar "solo" supposedly very similar to beginning solo of 'Triad'
• 7:43 - "Percussive clapping" from 'The Grudge' (7:36)
• 8:13 - Riff similar to 'H.' (3:28)
• 8:23 - Throaty screech/growl similar to the scream in 'The Grudge' (6:29)
• 10:20 - 'Reflection' synth (0:43)

(NOTE: I haven't heard Salival so I don't know about this No Quarter/Pushit (Live) stuff. I think it's unlikely they'd add things from a cover song.)

I really wish there was more from Opiate/Undertow (and there probably is). The riff that starts the last section at 10:29 sounds very familiar.

Last edited by apathetic goat; 05-07-2006 at 08:24 PM..
grantek
05-08-2006, 02:06 AM

First time I listened to it, the "Holy fuckin' shit"s reminded me of the sound effect they used in the intro to Triad on the Lateralus tour, after the intermission (I was at the Sydney show, don't know how often they would've used it).

Listening to the bootleg of the show again, it sounds nothing like it, but it brought back a wave of memories the first time I heard it :)
Old 05-08-2006, 02:06 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

First time I listened to it, the "Holy fuckin' shit"s reminded me of the sound effect they used in the intro to Triad on the Lateralus tour, after the intermission (I was at the Sydney show, don't know how often they would've used it).

Listening to the bootleg of the show again, it sounds nothing like it, but it brought back a wave of memories the first time I heard it :)
jerico v
05-08-2006, 12:54 PM

apathetic, tool's no quarter isn't just a cover song. wait until you hear it :P
Old 05-08-2006, 12:54 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

apathetic, tool's no quarter isn't just a cover song. wait until you hear it :P
jengamaster
05-08-2006, 01:34 PM

OK this is kind of out there interpritation, but when you think about the rosetta stone, and bla bla interpriting hyroglypics, maybe the song is in some way doing the same thing, by taking parts that are similar to other older songs, and trying to help you interprit them. I don't really knw, but I'm trying to see the connection between the older riffs and the literal rosetta stone.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

OK this is kind of out there interpritation, but when you think about the rosetta stone, and bla bla interpriting hyroglypics, maybe the song is in some way doing the same thing, by taking parts that are similar to other older songs, and trying to help you interprit them. I don't really knw, but I'm trying to see the connection between the older riffs and the literal rosetta stone.
imatoolhed's Avatar imatoolhed
05-08-2006, 01:38 PM

Just sounds like tool to me.
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Old 05-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #18
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897

Just sounds like tool to me.
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
05-08-2006, 01:50 PM

It eludes to older material. I love the way they've done this. It eludes to third eye(a song about drugs and psychadelic experiences.) This song is about portraying a feeling /experience and it does that well.

Tool are too be looked at as one big thing. You cant brek them down into riffs. thats bullshit.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

It eludes to older material. I love the way they've done this. It eludes to third eye(a song about drugs and psychadelic experiences.) This song is about portraying a feeling /experience and it does that well.

Tool are too be looked at as one big thing. You cant brek them down into riffs. thats bullshit.

I avoid cliches like the plague.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply