Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
zee deveel 17
04-23-2006, 12:03 AM

i really can't understand some people's love for this track. what am i missing? is the point of this song to be incoherently reminiscient of a bad acid trip? was the band's intention to make a terrible song? i don't understand the point of this song; it sounds like all they do is rehash old tracks (third eye, h) and add in a few corey taylor vocals here and there to go along with it.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 56
why do so many people love this song?

i really can't understand some people's love for this track. what am i missing? is the point of this song to be incoherently reminiscient of a bad acid trip? was the band's intention to make a terrible song? i don't understand the point of this song; it sounds like all they do is rehash old tracks (third eye, h) and add in a few corey taylor vocals here and there to go along with it.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
flakos
04-23-2006, 07:58 AM

Because.. it IS a good song. I don't understand why no one likes it. The music is great, and the whole premise is awesome, tripper is given the key to life by aliens but forgets it while he's high.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: why do so many people love this song?

Because.. it IS a good song. I don't understand why no one likes it. The music is great, and the whole premise is awesome, tripper is given the key to life by aliens but forgets it while he's high.
StoneyB's Avatar StoneyB
04-23-2006, 08:06 AM

It's the same old shit with Tool fans. They constantly quote "Think foryourself. Question authority," but when Tool releases something experimental with an awesome concept behind it, fans whine that the song isn't serious enough or Toolish enough. Give the band some credit for not giving a shit about your listening pleasure and writing whatever the hell they want to write.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

It's the same old shit with Tool fans. They constantly quote "Think foryourself. Question authority," but when Tool releases something experimental with an awesome concept behind it, fans whine that the song isn't serious enough or Toolish enough. Give the band some credit for not giving a shit about your listening pleasure and writing whatever the hell they want to write.
mujekun
04-23-2006, 08:16 AM

It is the awesomest song but to me it seems like Maynard deliberately messed it up with some of those vocals. It's because he doesn't care, you see. the vocals should be cleaner as well. Apart from that it is one of their best though.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

It is the awesomest song but to me it seems like Maynard deliberately messed it up with some of those vocals. It's because he doesn't care, you see. the vocals should be cleaner as well. Apart from that it is one of their best though.
rottenvicious462
04-23-2006, 08:26 AM

I understand the concept, and I like the whole idea, but I can't sit the whole way through it... I have, but not like I can with all the other tracks on this CD where I actually enjoy it... Don't worry, I don't get it either zee deveel...
Old 04-23-2006, 08:26 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

I understand the concept, and I like the whole idea, but I can't sit the whole way through it... I have, but not like I can with all the other tracks on this CD where I actually enjoy it... Don't worry, I don't get it either zee deveel...
PmF
04-23-2006, 08:35 AM

It has some strange feeling but the first part (with maynard talking) is just too long.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
PmF
Level 3 - Talker

It has some strange feeling but the first part (with maynard talking) is just too long.
vedhead
04-23-2006, 08:37 AM

Listen to the song...stop hearing it.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

04-23-2006, 08:50 AM

i think when things get so complicated
and you look for escape and rationalizations
they come in many different ways this song may
be a lot trippish but if you will include the dear lyrics
and see the paranoia of an artist..the absurdity of
todays society and culture. i think it is an attack on how
the artist percieves all this absurdity. it is more real
and raw than most of the work tool has presented. with
a bit of humor and every day life..RS is going down as
an all out battle..i swear it fucking has power
Old 04-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

i think when things get so complicated
and you look for escape and rationalizations
they come in many different ways this song may
be a lot trippish but if you will include the dear lyrics
and see the paranoia of an artist..the absurdity of
todays society and culture. i think it is an attack on how
the artist percieves all this absurdity. it is more real
and raw than most of the work tool has presented. with
a bit of humor and every day life..RS is going down as
an all out battle..i swear it fucking has power
04-23-2006, 08:54 AM

rosetta stoned is as powerful and difficult as Third Eye imo.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:54 AM   #9
Banned.

Bincount™: 1805

rosetta stoned is as powerful and difficult as Third Eye imo.
zee deveel 17
04-23-2006, 09:13 AM

i definitely understand the concept, but again, if you want to make a song about a bad acid trip it doesn't mean you should play/sing the song poorly just so it's reminiscient of such an experience. anyone agree?
Old 04-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #10

Bincount™: 56

i definitely understand the concept, but again, if you want to make a song about a bad acid trip it doesn't mean you should play/sing the song poorly just so it's reminiscient of such an experience. anyone agree?
placidium's Avatar placidium
04-23-2006, 09:18 AM

the guitar solo is poor, but the rest is very rough sounding, though polished in creation.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #11
Banned.

Bincount™: 1805

the guitar solo is poor, but the rest is very rough sounding, though polished in creation.
kyyuulle's Avatar kyyuulle
04-23-2006, 09:26 AM

i love this song because it is a direct shot to the under-educated petroleum distribution engineer flower children that have nothing better to do but find enlightenment through getting stoned all the time...

and to think if one were to engage in such extraterrestrial activities, you would at least remember it...but you are too stoned

"fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memory?"
Old 04-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

i love this song because it is a direct shot to the under-educated petroleum distribution engineer flower children that have nothing better to do but find enlightenment through getting stoned all the time...

and to think if one were to engage in such extraterrestrial activities, you would at least remember it...but you are too stoned

"fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memory?"
KEYGUN
04-23-2006, 09:39 AM

One of the best tracks on this bitch!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

One of the best tracks on this bitch!
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
04-24-2006, 06:41 PM

I love this song because it's about apple juice.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:41 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

I love this song because it's about apple juice.
04-24-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee deveel 17

Yes, it was the band's intention to make a terrible song that a bunch of people like except for you.

In fact, I sent an email to Blair about it and he said that the band made the song specifically to piss off some guy on the internet named zee deveel 17, just for kicks.

True story.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:53 PM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

Yes, it was the band's intention to make a terrible song that a bunch of people like except for you.

In fact, I sent an email to Blair about it and he said that the band made the song specifically to piss off some guy on the internet named zee deveel 17, just for kicks.

True story.
ljasonl
04-24-2006, 09:07 PM

cuz it fuckin rocks, man!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

cuz it fuckin rocks, man!
toot-ma-noot
04-24-2006, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedhead
the first time i listened to it i laughed my ass off, and liked it since.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:30 PM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedhead
the first time i listened to it i laughed my ass off, and liked it since.
Seethus
04-24-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidium
Ill be waiting for your superior guitar solo?
Didnt think so. Stop trying to criticise when you arent even in a posititon to.
'i liked it' 'I didnt like it' that is more appropriate.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Ill be waiting for your superior guitar solo?
Didnt think so. Stop trying to criticise when you arent even in a posititon to.
'i liked it' 'I didnt like it' that is more appropriate.
04-24-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:

Exactly. I mean, I'm sure a few of you have had episodes on drugs that could be described as mildly psychotic, and I have at some point, wandered around muttering to myself disjointedly in the same way, like a crazy person. It's very well done. To me, it doesn't sound like someone trying to sound like a lunatic, it is the sound of a lunatic. Very goddamned chilling.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:48 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

Exactly. I mean, I'm sure a few of you have had episodes on drugs that could be described as mildly psychotic, and I have at some point, wandered around muttering to myself disjointedly in the same way, like a crazy person. It's very well done. To me, it doesn't sound like someone trying to sound like a lunatic, it is the sound of a lunatic. Very goddamned chilling.
Nietzsche's Dead's Avatar Nietzsche's Dead
04-24-2006, 11:51 PM

i deeply enjoy the part where the lyrics seem to speed up (even more so) around 52 seconds into it, and it sounds like mjk is speaking in tongues :D

"hubba-duh hubba-duh hubba-duh"
Old 04-24-2006, 11:51 PM   #20

i deeply enjoy the part where the lyrics seem to speed up (even more so) around 52 seconds into it, and it sounds like mjk is speaking in tongues :D

"hubba-duh hubba-duh hubba-duh"
MantisMandibles's Avatar MantisMandibles
04-25-2006, 12:09 AM

I like it because it's sort of like listening to 'Third Eye' for the first few hundred times, again. I distinctly hated it the first couple of times I heard it. It sounded incredibly dissonant and hectic. But it's grown on me, and I no longer think it sounds so atonal. I think it was just the wack-ass vocals during the first couple minutes which threw me off. After that, though, the song gets fucking dope.

I think I just had to get kinda drunk in order to appreciate this album. My first reaction was like, "wtf?" Then I drank a sixer of Blue Moon and became suddenly enlightened as to how boss this effort really is. That appreciation has since stuck and chemical enhancement is no longer needed. Ah, but thank fuck for good beer!
Old 04-25-2006, 12:09 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 230

I like it because it's sort of like listening to 'Third Eye' for the first few hundred times, again. I distinctly hated it the first couple of times I heard it. It sounded incredibly dissonant and hectic. But it's grown on me, and I no longer think it sounds so atonal. I think it was just the wack-ass vocals during the first couple minutes which threw me off. After that, though, the song gets fucking dope.

I think I just had to get kinda drunk in order to appreciate this album. My first reaction was like, "wtf?" Then I drank a sixer of Blue Moon and became suddenly enlightened as to how boss this effort really is. That appreciation has since stuck and chemical enhancement is no longer needed. Ah, but thank fuck for good beer!
Pro Starcrafter's Avatar Pro Starcrafter
04-25-2006, 12:40 AM

Yeah Adam meant to do some really fast really crazy guitar solo that would rival melmsteen in technicallity and speed but then he remembered he doesn't do that shit.

Don't think about this song being about an acid trip when you listen to it, just listen to it. Maybe take some acid and listen to it.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:40 AM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17

Yeah Adam meant to do some really fast really crazy guitar solo that would rival melmsteen in technicallity and speed but then he remembered he doesn't do that shit.

Don't think about this song being about an acid trip when you listen to it, just listen to it. Maybe take some acid and listen to it.
ljasonl
04-25-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMeow
word
Old 04-25-2006, 07:33 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMeow
word
completetool
04-25-2006, 03:23 PM

So many people love this song because so many people have recognized that it is the best song on the album.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:23 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

So many people love this song because so many people have recognized that it is the best song on the album.
Dolophane's Avatar Dolophane
04-25-2006, 03:44 PM

LK/RS is currently my favorite part of the album. Rosetta Stoned just started, actually...
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
Old 04-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #25
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

LK/RS is currently my favorite part of the album. Rosetta Stoned just started, actually...
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
drastic
04-25-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Starcrafter
Haha.. love it.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Starcrafter
Haha.. love it.
drone007
04-25-2006, 04:19 PM

i like it because the musicianship is there, maynard's lyrics are a little bit deeper than first assumed, and the melodies are catchy. not every song has to be about something esoteric in order for it to be good. i like it
Old 04-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #27

i like it because the musicianship is there, maynard's lyrics are a little bit deeper than first assumed, and the melodies are catchy. not every song has to be about something esoteric in order for it to be good. i like it
04-25-2006, 05:27 PM

I fall into the "decoy leak" camp, and even I'll say that this song is pretty damned entertaining. I love it because:

1) the "chorus" part where Maynard finally sings "Imagine yourself in my position... to be the one." It's stellar, and I'm shocked if someone weaned off of previous Tool albums wouldn't love that part.
2) The chatter at the beginning of the song is genius... listen to the rythm of it... its all nonsense in free verse, but its totally on time with the beat of the song. I was really impressed in this sense.
3) It was made to be "3rd Eye, part 2" yet was not actually named "Third Eye, pt.2" In fact, the song quite literally has one of the exact same riffs from Third Eye on there. This is the "clincher" part of a joke leak, in my opinion.
- Oh yeah the part of the song near the end is "They'll know, oh no, they'll know, oh no"
being a double reference to the hoax and to the "in out in out in out" part of 3rd eye.
4) The lyrics are quite awesome, really. It tells a story about a guy that loses his mind. Awesome.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #28
Level 3 - Talker

I fall into the "decoy leak" camp, and even I'll say that this song is pretty damned entertaining. I love it because:

1) the "chorus" part where Maynard finally sings "Imagine yourself in my position... to be the one." It's stellar, and I'm shocked if someone weaned off of previous Tool albums wouldn't love that part.
2) The chatter at the beginning of the song is genius... listen to the rythm of it... its all nonsense in free verse, but its totally on time with the beat of the song. I was really impressed in this sense.
3) It was made to be "3rd Eye, part 2" yet was not actually named "Third Eye, pt.2" In fact, the song quite literally has one of the exact same riffs from Third Eye on there. This is the "clincher" part of a joke leak, in my opinion.
- Oh yeah the part of the song near the end is "They'll know, oh no, they'll know, oh no"
being a double reference to the hoax and to the "in out in out in out" part of 3rd eye.
4) The lyrics are quite awesome, really. It tells a story about a guy that loses his mind. Awesome.
ljasonl
04-25-2006, 07:49 PM

By the way, everyone, the riff is not the same as the one from Third Eye. It's similar, but it's different
Old 04-25-2006, 07:49 PM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

By the way, everyone, the riff is not the same as the one from Third Eye. It's similar, but it's different
Natalie Portman's Avatar Natalie Portman
04-25-2006, 11:12 PM

This song reminds me of Leaving Las Vegas. I've never done any drugs at all, so I can't really relate to the experiences here (well, vicariously through friends maybe). I've done some crazy shit bc of alcohol, but I have yet to shit the bed. In fact, I think that line ruins the song for me. It just sounds stupid.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 34

This song reminds me of Leaving Las Vegas. I've never done any drugs at all, so I can't really relate to the experiences here (well, vicariously through friends maybe). I've done some crazy shit bc of alcohol, but I have yet to shit the bed. In fact, I think that line ruins the song for me. It just sounds stupid.
Natalie Portman's Avatar Natalie Portman
04-25-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeperKhan
I fall into the "decoy leak" camp
$20 says you're wrong.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:13 PM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeperKhan
I fall into the "decoy leak" camp
$20 says you're wrong.
Garguantua's Avatar Garguantua
04-26-2006, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Dunno dude. In simplistic terms (probably the best terms), the song just rocks. For me, anyways. I don't care to analyze my feelings for the song. Perhaps you might stop thinking about all this. If the song bugs you or you don't like it, well, no biggie.
There are Tool songs that do little for me (Ticks and leeches, among others.) I just press skip and move on.

Nothing to be confused or bummed about.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Dunno dude. In simplistic terms (probably the best terms), the song just rocks. For me, anyways. I don't care to analyze my feelings for the song. Perhaps you might stop thinking about all this. If the song bugs you or you don't like it, well, no biggie.
There are Tool songs that do little for me (Ticks and leeches, among others.) I just press skip and move on.

Frenchy
04-26-2006, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyB
Hells Yeah! A Tool fan that actually thinks for theirself.

Plus, this is a great song! It's definitely the Third Eye of 10,000 Days in terms of creativity.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:26 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Hells Yeah! A Tool fan that actually thinks for theirself.

Plus, this is a great song! It's definitely the Third Eye of 10,000 Days in terms of creativity.
04-26-2006, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garguantua

What about Ticks and Leeches didn't you like? I've forgotten why I didn't like it at first. Now I love it... a bit like Third Eye I must admit (which I love).

Maybe it's 'cause I was 14 when I first started listening to Tool and couldn't make head nor tail of anything overly creative at the time (NIN was just a mess of noise then).
Old 04-26-2006, 05:29 AM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garguantua

What about Ticks and Leeches didn't you like? I've forgotten why I didn't like it at first. Now I love it... a bit like Third Eye I must admit (which I love).

Maybe it's 'cause I was 14 when I first started listening to Tool and couldn't make head nor tail of anything overly creative at the time (NIN was just a mess of noise then).
04-26-2006, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Give the band some credit for not giving a shit about your listening pleasure and writing whatever the hell they want to write.
I think I love you.

As far as this song goes, it's only growing on me now, much like The Pot. But it's definitely rockin and experimental. For me it's a slow build to the peak starting at 8:35 'Overwhelmed as one would be' - it almost gives me a shiver just thinking about it.

Last edited by Stev; 04-26-2006 at 05:45 AM..
Old 04-26-2006, 05:38 AM   #35

Bincount™: 18

Quote:
Give the band some credit for not giving a shit about your listening pleasure and writing whatever the hell they want to write.
I think I love you.

As far as this song goes, it's only growing on me now, much like The Pot. But it's definitely rockin and experimental. For me it's a slow build to the peak starting at 8:35 'Overwhelmed as one would be' - it almost gives me a shiver just thinking about it.

Last edited by Stev; 04-26-2006 at 05:45 AM..
Garguantua's Avatar Garguantua
04-26-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Nothing that I can articulate very well. The song just seems forced to me. The drumming is absolutely stunning, but the riff and Maynards vocals and lyrics just don't do it for me. I like the song. Just don't get off on it like I do for The Grudge, Schism, Reflection.
Also, there are parts of Lateralus that bug me too. Just small things. There are parts of Lateralus that are pure genius, but it's not genius all the way through. Same with all of Tool's music. Sometimes they hit the nail on the head, well...most times, but occasionally they hit their thumbs. It does not detract from my enjoyment of their music, no one's perfect. Well.. J.S. Bach was perfect, but that's another story.

I imagine that everyone has little things about the band that don't do it for them. I think that's why people are so angsty, here. They have put Tool upon a very high pedestal. Their own fault, if they hate the record.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Nothing that I can articulate very well. The song just seems forced to me. The drumming is absolutely stunning, but the riff and Maynards vocals and lyrics just don't do it for me. I like the song. Just don't get off on it like I do for The Grudge, Schism, Reflection.
Also, there are parts of Lateralus that bug me too. Just small things. There are parts of Lateralus that are pure genius, but it's not genius all the way through. Same with all of Tool's music. Sometimes they hit the nail on the head, well...most times, but occasionally they hit their thumbs. It does not detract from my enjoyment of their music, no one's perfect. Well.. J.S. Bach was perfect, but that's another story.

I imagine that everyone has little things about the band that don't do it for them. I think that's why people are so angsty, here. They have put Tool upon a very high pedestal. Their own fault, if they hate the record.
Raapy
04-26-2006, 06:03 AM

By far the best song on the album for me. The part starting at about 8 minutes in and lasting to about 9 minutes is one of Tool's greatest moments, in my opinion. The only other song on this album that has a almost as nice moment is The Pot, at 3.40-4.25. Simply ingenius. I'm sort of disappointed that there wasn't more of these moments, though; to me, they're what makes Tool so great. Aenima had tons of these, Lateralus had less, and this album has even fewer.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:03 AM   #37
Level 2 - Poster

By far the best song on the album for me. The part starting at about 8 minutes in and lasting to about 9 minutes is one of Tool's greatest moments, in my opinion. The only other song on this album that has a almost as nice moment is The Pot, at 3.40-4.25. Simply ingenius. I'm sort of disappointed that there wasn't more of these moments, though; to me, they're what makes Tool so great. Aenima had tons of these, Lateralus had less, and this album has even fewer.
s ti N Kfizt's Avatar s ti N Kfizt
04-26-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
the guitar solo is poor [..]
why? i think it's quite good.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:12 AM   #38
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 706

Quote:
the guitar solo is poor [..]
why? i think it's quite good.
seneca77's Avatar seneca77
04-26-2006, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiraith

True story.
i love posts that make me crack up. funny shit man.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:25 AM   #39
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiraith

True story.
i love posts that make me crack up. funny shit man.
04-26-2006, 10:42 AM

Corey Heart vocals?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #40
Level 2 - Poster

Corey Heart vocals?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply