Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
MentalSanityOff's Avatar MentalSanityOff
04-22-2006, 10:27 AM

I get the feeling a lot of people here don't even know what the Rosetta Stone is, so I'll give a brief summary. It was found in 1799, and was an announcement written on a stone slab. It featured the same message written twice on the same slab in two different languages, one in Greek, one in Egyptian Heiroglyph. The fact that Greek is still spoken make the Rosetta Stone the key to translating Egyptian Heiroglyphics, and is the cornerstone that allowed for all modern translations of Ancient Egyptian Heiroglyphics. Without the Rosetta Stone, we would have next to no information about Ancient Egypt at all.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 21
The Rosetta Stone

I get the feeling a lot of people here don't even know what the Rosetta Stone is, so I'll give a brief summary. It was found in 1799, and was an announcement written on a stone slab. It featured the same message written twice on the same slab in two different languages, one in Greek, one in Egyptian Heiroglyph. The fact that Greek is still spoken make the Rosetta Stone the key to translating Egyptian Heiroglyphics, and is the cornerstone that allowed for all modern translations of Ancient Egyptian Heiroglyphics. Without the Rosetta Stone, we would have next to no information about Ancient Egypt at all.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
T-13h's Avatar T-13h
04-22-2006, 10:32 AM

^True.

It was discovered by the French army, btw.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 911
Re: The Rosetta Stone

^True.

It was discovered by the French army, btw.
04-22-2006, 10:48 AM

Don't be patronising, I imagine most people do know what the Rosetta Stone is.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

KFJ
04-22-2006, 10:51 AM

I didn't, but only because I was too lazy to look it up.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
KFJ
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I didn't, but only because I was too lazy to look it up.
04-22-2006, 11:01 AM

Oh... looks like I poaned myself then. Haha.

The Lux Ferous and Steam Noire.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Oh... looks like I poaned myself then. Haha.

Tertius Oculum's Avatar Tertius Oculum
04-22-2006, 11:55 AM

Weird, I had heard it was a message in 3 different languages, not 2. Now if I can only remember where I heard that.

A very bad thread.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 688

Weird, I had heard it was a message in 3 different languages, not 2. Now if I can only remember where I heard that.

A very bad thread.
T-13h's Avatar T-13h
04-22-2006, 11:57 AM

Check it: http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/writing/rosetta.html

Egyptian used two different scripts. Those plus the Greek.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 911

Check it: http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/writing/rosetta.html

Egyptian used two different scripts. Those plus the Greek.
04-22-2006, 12:08 PM

Oh sweet, so I did hear correctly kind of.

A very bad thread.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 688

Oh sweet, so I did hear correctly kind of.

A very bad thread.
Sagacious Foetu
04-22-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21122012
i know i didn't. and i don't think he was trying to be patronizing. he was just saying "in case most people don't know, here it is..."

but it's not every day common knowledge anyway, so assuming that most people here know what it is, itself is kind of patronizing...

in a weird way.

whatever. good thread either way.

-- Third Eye
Old 04-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21122012
i know i didn't. and i don't think he was trying to be patronizing. he was just saying "in case most people don't know, here it is..."

but it's not every day common knowledge anyway, so assuming that most people here know what it is, itself is kind of patronizing...

in a weird way.

-- Third Eye
04-22-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagacious Foetu

in a weird way.

I guess so [insert laughing smiley here].

Old 04-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagacious Foetu

in a weird way.

I guess so [insert laughing smiley here].

Eulogy33's Avatar Eulogy33
08-22-2007, 12:19 AM

iknew exactly what it was before the song came out..and as soon as i learned the name of it(stoned)...i had a good laugh.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

iknew exactly what it was before the song came out..and as soon as i learned the name of it(stoned)...i had a good laugh.
09-18-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tertius Oculum View Post
it does, both old hieroglyphs and new.. plus greek.

i was well aware of what the rosetta stone was before this album came out.. upon first listen i knew this song would be key to the album.. maybe tool.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #12
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tertius Oculum View Post
it does, both old hieroglyphs and new.. plus greek.

i was well aware of what the rosetta stone was before this album came out.. upon first listen i knew this song would be key to the album.. maybe tool.
10-10-2007, 05:41 PM

So i'm sure I'm the 10,000th person to mention this, but if Rosetta Stone has two (and a half?) languages on it, greek and heiroglyphics- some know the one language, and can use their understanding to interpret the other- maybe that's the format of this song. I mean think about it, he rambles through a megaphone for half the song, and sings through a mic through the other half. Is it an intential metaphor? If so, which half of the song are we, or some of us, supposed to already understand, and how can we use that understanding to interpret the other half?

And is the origin of the rosetta stone a mystery? I'm not too good at history, were ancient egyptians around at the same time as ancient greece? they spoke to eachother???

Last edited by Aenima7988; 10-10-2007 at 05:43 PM..
Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #13

Bincount™: 15

So i'm sure I'm the 10,000th person to mention this, but if Rosetta Stone has two (and a half?) languages on it, greek and heiroglyphics- some know the one language, and can use their understanding to interpret the other- maybe that's the format of this song. I mean think about it, he rambles through a megaphone for half the song, and sings through a mic through the other half. Is it an intential metaphor? If so, which half of the song are we, or some of us, supposed to already understand, and how can we use that understanding to interpret the other half?

And is the origin of the rosetta stone a mystery? I'm not too good at history, were ancient egyptians around at the same time as ancient greece? they spoke to eachother???

Last edited by Aenima7988; 10-10-2007 at 05:43 PM..
Shiver Me Timber's Avatar Shiver Me Timber
10-29-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenima7988 View Post

Sorry if I sound harsh, I think you have it all wrong.

Maybe it can be like a metaphor or whatever, but I am pretty sure the connection between the song title and the actual Rosetta Stone is this:

The Rosetta Stone is the REASON why we can translate Ancient Greek to Heiroglyphics today. That was a huge deal, to be able to now understand Heiroglyphics.

Therefore, the Rosetta Stone is used as a metaphor for new discoveries, such as the beginning to a whole new world. (Ex. 'This message from the aliens is the Rosetta Stone of a new understanding of beings outside of the Earth.')

And, as we all know, the song is about some guy interacting with aliens (it can be deeper than that but you get the point). And, since he was either 'stoned' when the aliens picked him up, or if he was just going crazy from the fact that he 'forgot his pen' and couldn't remember what they told him, it is a reference to being 'stoned.'

Therefore, the song name is Rosetta Stoned.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenima7988 View Post

Maybe it can be like a metaphor or whatever, but I am pretty sure the connection between the song title and the actual Rosetta Stone is this:

The Rosetta Stone is the REASON why we can translate Ancient Greek to Heiroglyphics today. That was a huge deal, to be able to now understand Heiroglyphics.

Therefore, the Rosetta Stone is used as a metaphor for new discoveries, such as the beginning to a whole new world. (Ex. 'This message from the aliens is the Rosetta Stone of a new understanding of beings outside of the Earth.')

And, as we all know, the song is about some guy interacting with aliens (it can be deeper than that but you get the point). And, since he was either 'stoned' when the aliens picked him up, or if he was just going crazy from the fact that he 'forgot his pen' and couldn't remember what they told him, it is a reference to being 'stoned.'

slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
10-29-2007, 03:53 PM

quick version

dead head chemistry is not going to be the decoder to mysteries of life.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #15
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

quick version

dead head chemistry is not going to be the decoder to mysteries of life.
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
10-29-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timber View Post

bingo.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 10-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timber View Post

bingo.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
hemiola's Avatar hemiola
10-30-2007, 07:14 AM

It's funny how little attention is paid to the actual message on the stone itself. Even on sites dedicated to the damn thing, there's barely mention of the message, beyond a translation of the first partagraph or two, which primarily just kiss the pharoah's ass.

If memory serves, I think it was an invitation to a party.

Regardless, slamminsalmon made my favorite single sentence assessment of a tool song, #15 above. Right on.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #17

Bincount™: 20

It's funny how little attention is paid to the actual message on the stone itself. Even on sites dedicated to the damn thing, there's barely mention of the message, beyond a translation of the first partagraph or two, which primarily just kiss the pharoah's ass.

If memory serves, I think it was an invitation to a party.

Regardless, slamminsalmon made my favorite single sentence assessment of a tool song, #15 above. Right on.
Peanut's Parents's Avatar Peanut's Parents
10-30-2007, 10:39 AM

Please forgive this maybe stupid question, but. Who is Bob?
"Bob please help me." is the line.
Can anyone answer that for me?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Please forgive this maybe stupid question, but. Who is Bob?
"Bob please help me." is the line.
Can anyone answer that for me?
10-30-2007, 10:56 AM

Nevermind, i found the BOB HELP ME forum, Seek and you shall fucking find.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Nevermind, i found the BOB HELP ME forum, Seek and you shall fucking find.
10-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
wtf? Link?
I think he's referring to a thread covering this subject. But to make it easy for ya' Bob is what Maynard calls God. It's a joke and I beleive meant to humanize the idea of what god is. Kind of like saying Jesus was just a regular guy with a good idea and message but he was still a mortal like the rest of us. I may be wrong about his meaning behind it but, instead of saying "God help me" he says "Bob help me"...perhaps because he refuses to choose any particular god.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #20
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
wtf? Link?
I think he's referring to a thread covering this subject. But to make it easy for ya' Bob is what Maynard calls God. It's a joke and I beleive meant to humanize the idea of what god is. Kind of like saying Jesus was just a regular guy with a good idea and message but he was still a mortal like the rest of us. I may be wrong about his meaning behind it but, instead of saying "God help me" he says "Bob help me"...perhaps because he refuses to choose any particular god.
11-11-2007, 05:21 PM

The same message written twice in different languages? Almost like how the riffs present in Rosetta Stoned are recontextualisations of several key Tool riffs from other songs?

Last edited by Jimmeny; 11-11-2007 at 05:26 PM..
Old 11-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #21
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

The same message written twice in different languages? Almost like how the riffs present in Rosetta Stoned are recontextualisations of several key Tool riffs from other songs?

Last edited by Jimmeny; 11-11-2007 at 05:26 PM..
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
11-12-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny View Post
fluxterpation, anyone?

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 11-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny View Post
fluxterpation, anyone?

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
hemiola's Avatar hemiola
12-26-2007, 01:29 PM

the message was written three times
Old 12-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #23

Bincount™: 20

the message was written three times
Nikeda-Taylor
12-27-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalSanityOff View Post
Yeah, i remember my world history teacher telling us briefly about the Rosetta Stone in class a long time ago.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalSanityOff View Post
Yeah, i remember my world history teacher telling us briefly about the Rosetta Stone in class a long time ago.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply