opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima
User Name
Password
Old 07-24-2003, 12:22 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Aenima's Numerolgic Track Listing

I've found an interesting pattern involving the track listings on Aenima. It seems that all double digit numbers, when added togther, can account for a single digit track. (i.e. 11 = 2, 15 = 6) This is all fine and dandy until you account for all the numbers except 9,8, and 7. Do those three digits sound familiar? They are the time signature and the original name of the title track to the latest release.
To continue with this theory, you can just say fuck the number 9, because, hey, Jimmy's dead. Hate to break it to ya, kid, but he is. You can then ad 8 and 7, and get 15, the final track on Aenima, and this signals that you're at the end of your pattern.
1 = 1
2 = 11
3 = 12
4 = 13
5 = 14
6 = 15
7 = ?
8 = ?
9 = ? (jimmy, and, whattaknow, he's dead)
10 = 1
11 = 2
12 = 3
13 = 4
14 = 5
15 = 6

It took a carton of cigarettes and 62 cups of coffee to grasp this, but if you've had a similar train of thought, feel free to mail me on it.

yrs.,
erik
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:27 PM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 102
I think you've got too much time on your hands. I think your odd pattern-finding skills could be put to better use.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:22 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
This would be much cooler if you could connect the songs together, such as Eulogy and Pushit. Unfortunately, I don't think Message to Harry Manback and Third Eye have much of a connection. Unless all of their songs really ARE about anal sex...but keep trying.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:28 AM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

song/album corrolations

My theory was not to connect the songs, necessarily, but to show that the entire album plots itself out; I suggest that the band concieved the track numbers prior to the track listing, that is to say, that they knew they would have 15 tracks, as opposed to, say 14 or 16.

You must view the album as a single entity, and this is a prime example of the sum of the parts being greater than the given whole. Upon dissection, there definitely are connections from song to song (someone mentioned Pushit/Eulogy), but song content put aside, I'm dealing strictly with numbers. It's a given that the content on the album is artistically brilliant, but I find it so much more impressive when, above and beyond the musical scope, they can include mathematics to their "secrets."

At first, I was on the same train of thought as you. I as well noticed no direct corrolation between 3rd eye and Harry's Msg., but after reading the article in which Danny discusses 987 being the 17th number in the Fibonnaci sequence, I realized that the corrolation of numbers goes beyond Aenima alone. Regardless if this IS on track or not, I really think they were alluding to the concept of Lateralis long before it existed. I wouldn't put it past them.

Does anyone know where I can find lists of track lengths? I'd be interested in doing a study on those as well. (I'll need more cigarettes. I'm running low.)

dysFUNctionally yrs.,
erik
Old 08-13-2003, 06:15 AM   #5
Banned.

Bincount™: 12
Re: song/album corrolations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendholsin
My theory was not to connect the songs, necessarily, but to show that the entire album plots itself out; I suggest that the band concieved the track numbers prior to the track listing, that is to say, that they knew they would have 15 tracks, as opposed to, say 14 or 16.
Sorry...but...well...who cares if they knew how many songs they were going to record.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:53 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

like bach

I agree -everything in moderation.

But at what point do we take all this "universe as 1" and "putting 1 and 1 together and getting 1" bullshit seriously? The statement that all Tool albums, and all track listings therein are connected just treats Tool's catalogue like a living entity (which is a conglomerate of multiple entities). I may be wrong, but I see this theme as being one of the more important, prominent, if not understated concepts beyond not only the lyrics, but the complete ideology of the band Tool.

To concieve of brilliant parts within a mechanism, that is nothing; For what is a part without a duty to preform its function?
But to concieve of the mechanism as a brilliant whole, and thusly appreciate all individual parts as one, only then can you comprehend the beauty that was intended. Often, what we percieve is comepletely different from that which was intended.

Now. (theoretically) If someone wanted to take this seriously, they could sit down with all 5 releases and plot how many albums Tool will have, how many tracks therein on each album, and the size of Maynard's jock strap.

dysFUNctionally yrs.,
erik

b.t.w. i gave up smoking.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:40 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

lost

i think it's safe to say you don't get it at all. you need to focus on something more constructive. while thinking so deeply on this, you've only gone further from the right direction. i also think it's safe to say you need to get out more.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:53 PM   #8
Banned.

Bincount™: 2518
i love it when people say they have a theory as to how the songs on an album are connected . . .

heres my theory: ALL OF THE SONGS ON AENIMA ARE ON ONE ALBUM . . . wow, what a connection . . .

theres no secret track listing . . . its simply enough that they are on the same album . . .

if you have that much time to figure out some whacked-out tracklisting for your favourite albums, then you have enough time to find a cure for cancer . . .

peace and blessed be . . .
Old 08-18-2003, 06:24 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

cancer cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow011
if you have that much time to figure out some whacked-out tracklisting for your favourite albums, then you have enough time to find a cure for cancer . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

there's a plant found only in Nevada called Witchweed. It's comparable to a leech. It attaches itself on roots of plants that are living and healthy, and sucks out their vital juices and such. The juices that it secretes to help break down the host's root structure is genetically designed (by nature) to go for specific cells within the host. So say we were to do a little engineering; what if we were to tell the DNA that it was to go after melanoma cells? lymphoma cells? At the very least, it would probably work for skin cancer.

At the very least, it would probably make a good onion dip for those unexpected guests.

yrs.,
erik
Old 09-04-2003, 07:55 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Re: Aenima's Numerolgic Track Listing

i've noticed that the album came out (on my mother's b-day, nonetheless) in 1996. '96. there are 9 actual songs on this album and 6 segues. 9 'tracks' on the first side of the cassette, and 6 on the other. these are the only great outstanding numbers i've noticed for this album outside of the asskicking time signatures. if you want to talk numerology, please skip to the lateralus forum. that's where the numbers lie...
Old 09-04-2003, 07:58 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

also, 9 and 6 equal 15, the (OBVIOUS) number of tracks on this album
Old 09-04-2003, 11:48 PM   #12
Banned at user request

Bincount™: 4029
11 is the number of the Man!
Old 09-11-2003, 01:24 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

i can count. 1-2-4-5-7. ims still is learn.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:51 AM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 561
You might be stretching it a bit, but still interesting.
And that would account for the songs that don't really need their own track (i.e. Useful Idiot).
Old 10-14-2003, 06:51 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Cigarettes and coffee?!Erik,is that really weed and whiskey that gave you this idea?My band released a cd once where every other song was one word.Coincidence,not done on purpose,later realized.
Speaking of the 987 theory on Lateralus,(MUSICIANS PAY ATTENTION),on the title track,when Adam plays the heavy riff,you count to 9 on the first chord,when you hit nine,you are at the end of the first chord,on the secord chord,the song only lets you count to 8,and the third chord 7.Then 9 again.If I am confusing you,musicians should understand.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:17 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendholsin
It took a carton of cigarettes and 62 cups of coffee to grasp this, but if you've had a similar train of thought, feel free to mail me on it.
get a life
Old 02-12-2005, 12:37 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstajduh
My train of thought...erik, lay off the coffee and cigarettes.

Take everything in Moderation!!.......even Moderation.
man, we need more guys like him, and yet you guys are telling him to lay off or whatever.
and im gonna tell you to fuck off bitch.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:40 AM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbilicalchemist
get a life
get a brain
Target has one on sale for $99, pick it up
Old 02-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #19
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 16122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile1011
I think you've got too much time on your hands. I think your odd pattern-finding skills could be put to better use.

any ideas?
Old 02-13-2005, 12:37 AM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard
any ideas?
nope. hes to stupid. its easier to bash someone else out of jealousy for finding something new than it would be to use his brain.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:50 AM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Re: lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by the C
i think it's safe to say you don't get it at all. you need to focus on something more constructive. while thinking so deeply on this, you've only gone further from the right direction. i also think it's safe to say you need to get out more.
the only reason why you think he thought so deeply about it is because you just dont get it, fuckin idiot. My greatest thoughts, my greatest discoveries, have come right off the top of my head, without much deep thought. Then ill take it further, and analyze it. But i dont tend to overanalyze, seeing as my concentration isnt the greatest, but thats beyond the point. You guys just come on here because you can only find a social life on the internet with other people who have the same exact things in common with you. Those are: The like of the band tool, and complete stupidity and lack of brain functionability to actively and creatively use it to find something complete and utterly new to you, or someone else.
I come on here and point out something new almost everytime (subtract a few bashing posts here and there, I am not like you guys anymore).
I will not be surprised if i get banned for "being different".
Old 10-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #22
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 3653

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA
Old 01-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

Just a random thought (since we're on the topic): wouldn't all of this also apply to ANY 15 track album? Pardon my French but how fucking stupid is this thread?
Old 02-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Haha... good point.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: