opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-08-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/09/25 - Cleveland, OH - Wolstein Center

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/25 - Cleveland, OH - Wolstein Center

WOW.

I missed all the lateralus touring so I've been jonesing for some tool for a while now.

they did not disappoint.

I believe the set was exactly the same as the one I saw listed for toronto and every song was fantastic.

I'd never heard schism done that way before and I really liked it. my buddy turned to me at the beginning and was like "are they playing it slower than normal?" and then the sped-up bridge hit and we understood.

wings/10,000 days was a tour de force. there is really nothing else to say about it.

rosetta stoned was crazy - I know the words (as much as anyone does) and I couldn't even keep up he was racing through it so fast.

what I really liked most about the show was the fact that, after the first couple songs, they didn't play ANYTHING under at least 6 or 7 minutes. It really let me get lost in each and every song.

our seats were upper deck, to the left of the stage (if your looking out from the stage) and I was worried they would suck but with the bird's eye view we got of the stage floor, they were actually great seats.

my neck hurts,my throat is raw and I'll be sore all day tomorrow. It must have been a good show ;)

Last edited by lateralis; 09-25-2006 at 08:02 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

OMG!!! Such an amazing show! I am not dissapointed at all. I was in the lower level right to the left of the stage, so close to Adam!!!! Awesome awesome awesome! I can die happy now!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 3

wake Up.....
The show was amazing,the standing ovation at the end of the show was very heartfelt and you could tell they wanted to play more but danny had already tossed his drum heads..Sound...Lights and band were all on point..I hope I live to see them again..
Peace out....

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six and two
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Roseta Stoned
Wings/10,000
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

Last edited by Denots_a_Tesor; 09-25-2006 at 08:12 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

Great show, as usual. Stage setup was pretty nice. I still prefer to see the boys at more intimate locations (ie State Theater in Detroit), but this is probably the best 'arena' show I've seen. I'm very glad they got Wings/10,000 Days hammered out in time for us to see it. We actually could sit down at that point, still see the full presentation and take it all in. Fantastic.

My ears are still ringing but that's a good thing. The show was loud but crystal clear. I've been going to Tool shows since '93 and dread the day they stop making music. Is there anyone else out there who can touch them? I don't think so.

Matt

Last edited by mattalbr; 09-25-2006 at 08:09 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

I was on floor seats about 20 seats from the stage. Did anyone else think the sound was too loud for such a small arena? Especially some of the effects seemed too overpowering. Overall the performance was good, but hard to enjoy because it was impossible to hear the intricacies of the songs. There were several times where either Adam or Maynard was thrown off by a little bit, but it didn't have a large effect. What the hell was with that butcher who kept dicking around with shit on stage? I got the feeling tool wasn't really prepared. It would have been nice to hear a different set list than the same one heard in columbus. I'm still undecided about the show.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

wow. that's all there is to it.

was a little disappointed in the crowd...seems that not too many people were really gettin into the songs, i'm sure people around me thought i was nuts since they were sittin there like stumps.

but, of course, tool was...well, tool. god help us if they stop making music, ever. i'm lost in a fog at the experience.

Wings for Marie? 10,000 Days? No words to describe how incredible that was.

As for every other song...damn. Keep it comin. I did NOT want this concert to end.

Hard to hear some of the more intricate parts to the songs...balance of sounds seemed off. But who am i to complain?

Thank you, Tool. Come back soon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

great show....i was on the floor right next to the sound booth....i agree that some of the sound was a bit overpowering for the size of the venue

setlist is accurate....now i know why everyone says lateralus was the highlight of the show......totally fucking amazing....and i think that this would have been a great closer......i also agree that the band looked as though they wanted to maybe do 1 more song after the ovation they got when they finished aenima

the show was excellent.....did anyone see Maynard waving to the cops in the upper deck at the end of lateralus????
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade7 View Post
wow. that's all there is to it.

was a little disappointed in the crowd...seems that not too many people were really gettin into the songs, i'm sure people around me thought i was nuts since they were sittin there like stumps..
i hear ya on this one....i thought the cleveland crowd was way to mellow.....songs like the pot and jambi seemed to be unknown to alot of fans at the show.....

after Rosetta Stoned the crowd really seemed to pick up though
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyou13 View Post
OMG!!! Such an amazing show! I am not dissapointed at all. I was in the lower level right to the left of the stage, so close to Adam!!!! Awesome awesome awesome! I can die happy now!
I was in about the same area....Section 1, row E. Good show all around save the misstep on "Rosetta Stoned."

Looking forward to Pittsburgh.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:34 PM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Wake up...
...to the fact the Diebold (they make the voting machines) headquarters are right down the road from Akron-Canton airport where prezzy George W. Butcher no doubt had a visit to fulfill his destiny of being grade a asshole? Also on the same road as Diebold is Timken company, who funded the shit outta Bush's campaign and the CEO was rewarded with ambASSadorship in Germany.

Oh, wrong room, we're supposed to be talking about tool. {Puts a different kind of puppet stick back up ass}

Crack, Coke, Meth, Acid, Shrooms, and Pot are nothing compared to what TooL can stir up. Some kind of aether from a Joe Cell down undah. I'm still shaking but i'm probably just cold. To be honest i couldn't pay too much attention to the band on the stage, i was busy chasing a ghost around the arena. A highlight, before Isis came on I noticed a dude painted in white wearing blue shorts off stage right in the bleachers. Pretty nifty.

After the show fireworks could be heard being set off outside, nice. All in all the more interesting perks of the show were not the expected, but the unexpected results. People of different ages and networking joining to see this one band with something to share. Kinda religious and way fucking cooler than church if you ask me. It's hard to compete with something that defies definition. You could be deaf, blind and numb and still enjoy a show with tool.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

I agree also about the crowd...LAME LAME LAME!!!!! A slight roar than nothing....Maynard says "Detorit was louder than that"....and it got intence...for a whole 30 SECONDS..then Maynard says...."Ok...Columbus was louder"...obviously hoping to instill alittle energy in the crowd....again...NOTHING but a wimper compared to other concerts I have seen. COME ON PEOPLE!!! THIS IS TOOL...and that's ALL the louder you could scream???@@@!!! I don't blame Maynard for his last comment..."Ok..we'll play more, but out of pity"......DAMN..what a smack in the face of Cleveland..and MAYNARD IS FROM HERE!!!! Ok...enough about the crowd.....the concert was awesome!!! I lloved the new all white stage. Maynard got off timing on Rosetta Stoned and there were a few mistakes here and there in other areas..but overall...FLAWLESS. Vocals were strong....but the sound..at times..was over bearing for the venue....loud is good..but sometimes it was so loud it made it muddy. Set list was:
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six and two
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Roseta Stoned
Wings/10,000
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema
As great as this concert was...I would have still loved to hear SOMETHING off of Undertow and OPIATE. Great time.....Im not sure which show I like better...Detroit in May ot this one....they were both INCREDIBLE!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Freakin amazing show, Isis actually was pretty damn sweet. Once tool hit the stage it was over. I like how they hid the lasers and cool stuff till the middle of the show. The lasers once they kicked on and the stage was the screen. I liked the cloud effect going through the lasers during wings/10,000 days. Very emotional and awsome song, The most unforgettable thing was at the end of 10,000 days every one had lit there lighters and it was just awsome, even justin had 2 lighters that he had to run and get cause his other one was not working. A very special tribute to maynards mom indeed. Wish they would of played right in two , It did look like they were ready for one more song, after the standing ovation. Overall one of the top Tool shows.

Things to mention, before Rosetta stoned maynard is crawlin around on stage was quite funny. When maynard said Detroit was louder and people were like OMG and then it was deafining loud. And the intro played before Isis was on was off of a hidden track on mushroomhead good stuff.

Alright i could type for hours but the show was awsome, i cant talk im so hoarse and my throat hurts like hell. So with that Dont forget your pen!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 09:43 PM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

What a blast!
The show was top notch. I agree that the reverb drowned the labyrinthine at times, but it was tolerable. Nothing is perfect and that's what I love about live shows, especially TOOL.
We were in Section 5, Row 27 in front of the sound booth which was a spectacular position for the laser performance. Nevermind that I couldn't see the stage, I'm a little on the short side.

When the lights went out, we were trying to get back to our seats but ended up in the last row with an adorable couple who were standing on their chairs. I thought to join them since it didn't look like we would be able to get back into our own, and the seats next to them were not currently being occupied. That lasted only a short while. Security would tell us to get down, and we would. Then we'd get back up and down and up again until the people who bought the seats, next to the couple we happened upon, came back, when Security told us to move to our own seats. So we did, but at first there wasn't any room for us, so people had to shift around and around while we stood on our chairs and was absolutely forbidden from standing on them, not only because there were people behind us (that'd just be rude) but because of Security, who were actually pretty cool about smoking.
The CROWD was, in my very own fresh opinion, Wonderful. I loved looking around the venue at all the screwed up, happy fuckin' faces.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:45 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

As this was my first experience with the full-fledged tour, having seen two of the warm up dates, I found it interesting that they did a 3 song encore (Lateralus, Vicarious, Aenema) compared to the warm ups shows' 2 song postscript (Vicarious, Aenema). It's not that important, really, I'm just splitting hairs. Wherever the band wants to take a break in their set is fine by me.

I do agree with the above posters, the Cleveland crowd was rather timid in their enthusiasm.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was amazing, as can only be expected. Unfortunately, as big of a fan as I am, it's only the second time I've seen them (and the first time was at Ozzfest '98). Maynard was having a hell of time and so was everyone there. The highlight to me was Wings 1 and 2 and the crowd's response that followed. Still, unsurprisingly, I saw a lot of people leave to take a leak and try to buy beer then.

As to everyone talking about the crowd being lethargic, read posts from other shows. Maynard says that everywhere to rile people up. He just wants to see how loud he can make us scream. They played the same set almost everywhere, despite cries for an encore. It really didn't matter. They ended the show at 11:00pm sharp.

If you still think the crowd sounded less than enthusiastic after that nugget of truth, consider this. When Tool fans go to a concert, they are very attentive and want to watch and study the band as they play. They know the songs, and still want to hear Maynard sing them. I believe that fans (like myself and people I was with) just wanted to take in the experience. You don't need to scream at the band and headbang and knock other people over like an asshole when you dance around to do that. It's strictly optional. There were no mosh pits and I'm sure the band was awful sorry for that.

I will see Tool again, as long as they play again. Until then, I'll just have to satisfy myself with Tool's Volcano labelmate, "Weird" Al.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

I have been a fan ever since Undertow (after which I went back and bought Opiate, too), but due to college, finances and other stuff I have never been able to see these guys until tonight. What a show! The set list was like a highlight reel on SportsCenter - every single play (or in this case, song) was a masterpiece.

I've been reading up on the set lists for previous shows, and I had a really good feeling about tonight - I was not disappointed. I heard basically evrything I could have wanted to hear (although, let's face it - another twelve songs would have been awesome, too).

Speaking of which, I agree with other posters that it seems like the band might have wanted to bang out one more (and I wish it might have been "Right in Two" as someone else had mentioned), and I also agree with the guy who said "I did not want this concert to end".

Highlights for me were:

Stinkfist - The crowd went ballistic when Maynard appeared in his ATF shirt, cowboy hat, shades, and later revealed the Mohawk (nice!).

The Pot - I agree more people should have been screaming this one out, but those who knew it were going nuts. The song is a blistering indictment of judgmental hypocrites everywhere, and it demands to be sung LOUD!!!

Forty Six and Two - Did you ever notice how hard it is to bang your head at the end of this song? I think I hurt myself, but I don't care. Many of Tool's other songs are bad for the neck, too, but that's because these guys are musical geniuses with the way they use odd time signatures, often changing multiple times per song, and still they never miss a beat. Truly awesome.

Jambi - I hurt my neck even worse on this one, but it wasn't just the 9/8 beat - it's because this is the most face-melting song these guys do! Absolutely badass. I managed to get a short video of the squawk box solo (the sweetest part of this or any other Tool song, IMHO) before a narc snagged my camera batteries - too bad for him I had backups on my pocket (piss off, pigs!).

Schism - The "Schism on Crack" part was frigging sweet!

Lost Keys / Roseta Stoned - I couldn't understand why this song would make a good concert song. I'm happy to admit I was TOTALLY wrong. This was one of the best songs in the set! Maynard's voice pack was killer, and the breakneck speed of his lyrics was just sick!

Wings/10,000 Days - Lasers, lasers and more lasers. Masterful guitar work. Emotionally deep song. Simply awesome.

Lateralus - This song has deep and spiritual lyrics, but the way these dudes performed it tonight was like getting my teeth kicked in (and I liked it)!

Vicarious - The stage graphics were awesome (as with so many of the other songs). This really enhanced the atmosphere for this soaring, bonecrushing tune.

Aenema - An all-time Tool classic. I think I spent whatever good cells I had left in my larynx - I'm gonna be hoarse for days. Thanks, guys.

Adam, Danny, Justin & Maynard - thank you guys for an unforgettable night. You guys are geniuses and YOU FUCKING ROCK!!! Please come back soon.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 10:58 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barffyman View Post
I was on floor seats about 20 seats from the stage. Did anyone else think the sound was too loud for such a small arena? Especially some of the effects seemed too overpowering. Overall the performance was good, but hard to enjoy because it was impossible to hear the intricacies of the songs. There were several times where either Adam or Maynard was thrown off by a little bit, but it didn't have a large effect. What the hell was with that butcher who kept dicking around with shit on stage? I got the feeling tool wasn't really prepared. It would have been nice to hear a different set list than the same one heard in columbus. I'm still undecided about the show.
I agree with what you've said. I noticed many mistakes tonight. Missed cues, missed lyrics to name a few. The great thing about this band is the way they transition and fluently, tightly change. That was not there tonight . Also I think Chancellor's bass is too loud. It drowns out Keenen's vocs at times, and those certain intricacies that we all love so much. Also, could you tell when Justin or Maynard missed a cue? Adam's head would abruptly turn to his left, or back toward MJk. Some of Adam's solos were not up to par. (i.e. he ddin't have the sound ready to go at precisely the right time.) At times, Justin seemed to be in his own world and would not look up to make eye contact, and Adam looked over like "fuckin pay attention!". At times Keenan's mic was fine, and others it was way low or not clear enough. Can't decipher any words from the megaphone during Rosetta. Danny seemed great as usual. Wings was good. It's funny cause people don't know how to act from one song to the next. Hard driving riffs with heads banging, turns into Wings, which is Floydish in nature. I liked the additions to songs like 46+2 and Schism. I liked the instrumental leading into Vicarious. Laser's were cool. Especially when u look up and it's like there's a laser ceiling above you. Keenan's lean back cowboy dance was amusing during Jambi. I enjoyed the show even though I had all these complaints. I've seen them live alot. (4th time in '06 2nite) I expect more from these superb musicains, but they still are the best. Maybe their sound guy should read all these posts.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 11:08 PM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

The only major mistake of Tool, this evening, was during Rosetta Stoned. I think MJK's alterations on the lyrics + timing are throwing them off a bit. However, the effect was rather interesting actually.

I asked the info booth what the capacity was; they stated 17,000. Tool had sold 9,000 tickets. Just a little FYI.

Soundcheck, from 5:35 - 6:15 was as follows (was heard from outside):

*Danny & Justin playing, Justin goes into a little bit of Flood
*Stinkfist (alternative guitar parts by Adam)
*Wings For Marie
*10,000 Days
*Right In Two (note: they did not perform this song this evening)
*Stinkfist (up to 2nd verse, then they stopped)
Old 09-26-2006, 02:19 AM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steave View Post
When Tool fans go to a concert, they are very attentive and want to watch and study the band as they play. They know the songs, and still want to hear Maynard sing them. I believe that fans (like myself and people I was with) just wanted to take in the experience. You don't need to scream at the band and headbang and knock other people over like an asshole when you dance around to do that.
I agree with what you said wholeheartedly. Some dumbfucks in front of me were trying to mosh up in the fucking seats. And they were the kind that left during Wings/10,000 Days to go get beer. *rolls eyes*
This was my 6th Tool show. I was also at the Columbus show, and although that show was more intense for me personally I thought the vocals at this one were more audible, and certain parts of this one were better. -->Jambi was badass, I love the firey visuals. Maynard looks amazing in front of those. And I love his cowboy hat dance thing where he bends backwards. Every Tool show I've been to the vocals have always been at least somewhat drowned out by the guitars. If only they would turn that down. However I could hear better at this one.
He said at the beginning "Not only Ohio, but Cleveland at that" or something, I'm not sure of the exact wording. (?) The ONLY thing it lacked was anything off of Opiate or Undertow! I like this tour better than the Lateralus tour though, except for the fact that on that tour I did get to hear Opiate, and Cold and Ugly. =) I like the stage set up better on this one, it's simpler but in a a good way, and I think it's easier to see everybody. Maynard said some of the words out of order during Aenema, and of course the minor screwup during Rosetta Stoned. That's ok though. Highlights were 46&2, the Pot, Lateralus and Aenema. Wow. And Rosetta Stoned. And Jambi. lol. and of course 10,000 Days is beautiful. Yeah, the whole set list is awesome. Both shows I've seen on this tour have been fucking amazing. I cannot wait to see them again!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 04:28 AM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

"...I believe that fans (like myself and people I was with) just wanted to take in the experience. You don't need to scream at the band and headbang and knock other people over like an asshole when you dance around to do that. It's strictly optional. ..."

I totally agree...i don't want to be in the middle of a pit when i'm watching Tool. It's all about the undistorted experience, at least for me.

What I meant was, I was surprised at the lack of energy...most of the people around me weren't even singing along, let alone showing appreciation at the end of a song. It was interesting to me. I saw a few people get into it during bigger songs like Lateralus and Aenima (rightly so) but that was it. I feel that when a band like Tool is putting their energy out for us, the least we can do as fans is show that we appreciate it when they're done.

But hey, the crowd is the crowd. Tool is what was more important, and I've already said how amazing that was. I don't know how I'm going to do my job today.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 04:42 AM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 467

Isis - Played 1 song 4 times, or so it seems.

Volume - Another great show. I'll never, ever understand the logic behind having the house mix so overly loud. It's not just Tool. Lot's of bands have sound guys that mix everything so ridiculously loud, it really takes away from the show. I have seen Tool 16 times now, but this was the first time I remember such a blatantly loud mix. It's not like the vocals were louder than everything else, or the bass, drums or guitar. The entire mix was just painfully loud. I walked around the whole venue to see if I could find a sweet spot, but it sounded the same no matter where I stood. It's really too bad, because CSU is a oddly great sounding venue, when the sound is mixed properly. Oh well...

Tool - Not a flawless performance, but that's not what music is about. Every song was a highlight, except for Schism, which is just boring to hear at this point. The visuals were cool. The screens in the back just flashed a strange green for Stinkfist (intended?). For 'The Pot', the only screen behind the band that was on was the one directly behind Maynard. Again, I'm not sure if this was intended, or if the screens were just not working.

People complaining about the crowd's 'lack of enthusiasm': Get over it. If everyone was going apeshit and moshing, you'd be complaining about that, so...

Unfortunate - The only "missed vocal" that I noticed was in Aenima. Maynard sang "Don't just call me pessimist", then did not sing "Try and read between the lines". Oh well. Next time...

Overall, the performance was very tight. My only complaint was the overall volume of the house mix. Too loud...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 04:53 AM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

I've seen Tool 5 times before and feel they really stepped up the live show. I was sitting to the left of the sound board and could hear and see everything perfect. I thought the sound was unbelievable, maybe a bit loud for some people's taste, but I like it that way. I could really feel the pulse of the bass and drums and I could make out all the little details too. Best sounding Tool show Ive ever been too.

Dont want to spoil anything for people who havent seen Tool this tour, but the visual experience really raised the bar on live concert experiences. Wings/10,000 took me to another world while I was listening to the song.

As far as the crowd goes, I think everyone has their own way of enjoying a show and should do so as long as their not ruining anyone elses experience. I saw them in Pitt, PA out of all places and there was some drunk guy in front of me who insisted on screeching ("Tool fucking Tool" and "Play Sober") once every minute on the minute. As much as I appreciated the fellows enthusiasm, IT would distract me when I was really getting into a particular song.
I also saw them in a moshpit and for some reason Tool didnt make me angry and I did not feel a need to throw elbows at my fellow concert goers when listening to Tool's little ditties. Personally I am awestruck for many songs and can only stand there and take it all in.

Opening band ISIS reminded me of neurosis. They where still great none the less.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 05:05 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Show was awesome! My ears are still ringing today. I was seated dead center about 25 rows back on the floor. I have been hearing that people on the floor were not able to see all the effects on the stage. Other than not being able to see the stage floor, everything else was stellar. The lasers during Wings were exceptional, and I find it hard to believe that there was a better view of them elsewhere. This was my 6th Tool show, and this was easily the best stage show. Performance was on par with all the others. Highlight songs of the night - Wings/10000 Days and Lateralus. The latter blew everyone away. I was somewhat disapointed that Maynard did not mention anything about being home. The majority of times I have seen him in Cleveland (w/ Tool or APC) he has mentioned it was nice to be home. Also no songs from Undertow or Opiate :( Can't wait for Pittsbugh tonight!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 06:25 AM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

great show, I am pretty sure they switched up some of the lazers towards the end of the show since the columbus show....that or my seats were that much better I got to see more.

i got back at 5 am to oxford, 5 hours of sleep later and I can't talk right and my neck hurts.

it was a good night.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 07:01 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 2nd Tool show. Well, 3rd, but I was too stupid to appreciate them at Lallapalooza a while back so I did not pay enough attention then. I saw them front row at the/ Theater in Detroit this past spring. WOW! My husband caught a pick...that's pretty damn cool! Anyway, I thought this CLeveland show was great! I, too, am one of the fans who just enjoys getting so lost in what Tool is offering that clapping, yelling, moshing, etc. is just too distracting. I like to sit in awe and stare, taking it all in so that the feelings you get from it last for days instead of just until you get home and your hearing returns. I noticed a few mishaps in some of the songs, as did my husband, but hey, they are his songs, so really how can he "mess them up?" And let's face it, even when Tool has an off day, they are still damn good! My only complaint would be that Maynard sang with his back to the crowd too much. It's like my husband said, he needs to be front and center...commanding the audience's attention, the way he did back in the day. That is where he should be!
*God, please continue to provide Tool with the ability to make music...forever*
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 07:10 AM   #27
Level 2 - Poster

"My only complaint would be that Maynard sang with his back to the crowd too much. It's like my husband said, he needs to be front and center...commanding the audience's attention, the way he did back in the day. That is where he should be!"

Yeah, Tanna4, the whole
"in the back, in the dark" Maynard thing
is pretty silly. AND boring.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 07:11 AM   #28
Level 2 - Poster

Re: cleveland crowd

Enough about the crowd already. I feel that I showed plenty of gratitude by paying $65 for an upper level seat. Yes, I yelled and screamed at times but mostly I want to take it all in. I've been to many shows and afterwards had friends ask me "did you see this?" or "did you see that?". Most of the time I'd say no because I was too busy banging around or rocking out.

Everybody isn't 18 and angry anymore (that was 17 years ago for me!). Do what you will and have fun doing it. That's what it's all about.

Matt
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

I think I win the trophy for oldest Tool concert T. I was weairing my long sleeve Opiate shirt. Plenty faded, pretty thin and ragged now. Got plenty of comments from youngins who probably weren't in school yet when I bought it!

I sure hope they come back through sometime on this tour!

Matt
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 07:32 AM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 96
Re: cleveland crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalbr View Post
Enough about the crowd already. I feel that I showed plenty of gratitude by paying $65 for an upper level seat. Yes, I yelled and screamed at times but mostly I want to take it all in. I've been to many shows and afterwards had friends ask me "did you see this?" or "did you see that?". Most of the time I'd say no because I was too busy banging around or rocking out.

Everybody isn't 18 and angry anymore (that was 17 years ago for me!). Do what you will and have fun doing it. That's what it's all about.

Matt
Agreed.

Great show. The band put out a good energy and the crowd ate it up. Maynard wasn't as vocal as I thought he would be, though his antics were pretty entertaining. Wings/10,000 Days was the highlight.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 08:19 AM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanna4Tool View Post
I like to sit in awe and stare, taking it all in so that the feelings you get from it last for days instead of just until you get home and your hearing returns.
Very well said. I still have a smile on my face that will last for days.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 08:23 AM   #32
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman1 View Post
Isis - Played 1 song 4 times, or so it seems.
haha, so I'm not the only one who thought that. anyone else think it weird to have 3 guitarists?

referring back to my previous post, i did enjoy myself, and tool did perform greatly. my big beef was that i couldn't get in to the music as i did in columbus, simply because the volume(mixing?) was just too damn loud. whether it was the band's fault or tech's, someone needs to prepare better for smaller venues. tool is not a band best enjoyed at the loudest volume setting (in my opinion). knowing that they were practicing Right in Two makes me wonder if we demanded another song if they would've played it.

p.s. if anyone here has seen them perform Reflection or Third Eye, is it as amazing as i think it would be?

Last edited by barffyman; 09-26-2006 at 08:26 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 08:59 AM   #33
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

1st Tool show, and...well...good show, I thought. Isis was very very tight, though their sound mix was a little disappointing and they only played 4 songs.

Tool, though, exceeded my expectations, aside from the lack of huge projections. I thought they did pretty much perfect on every song (aside from the band (not Maynard) messing up Rosetta Stoned). Although, I agree that some parts were too loud, namely RS and the interludes (which were otherwise cool).

I think that WfM/10k Days is NOT a good live song, though. It lost a bit of the emotion that came from good quality CD sound, and the effects (e.g. thunder noises) were too loud. But they tried their best.

Lateralus and Ænema rocked, definitely my favorite live songs that I saw.

I had seats 16 rows back on the floor, and they turned out to be aisle seats...so I stood in the left-middle aisle most of the time (frantically headbanging at certain points), if anyone cares.

Well worth the money.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

I would like to say that the crowd is not the only problem. How can you have a pit when there are chairs on the floor? It should have been open so we could slam!!!!! There was an old lady with a pretzel on the floor. Are you kidding? I was trying to incite the kids around me to cut the chair straps and toss em out!!!!! I felt like a caged animal in that shitty arena!!!!!!! Couldn't really get into it as I would have liked to. But the band itself was electrifying!!!!!!!!

One of the security guards told me it was the band who didn't want people moshing. I find that hard to believe. If you don't want it, don't play that type of music. But I get the feeling that was just them tryin to pawn the bad blood about it ,off on the band. Pretty fucked up ask me. A request for Maynard? No more fucking arenas!!!!!!!!!!! Speaking for myself I want to mosh!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the reason for going to shows for me!!!!!!!

That being said, is the only disappointment of this show. And didn't hear Right in Two. One of my personal favs of the new album.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 09:18 AM   #35
Level 2 - Poster

Holy, fucking shit,
I loved the volume, loudest concert I have ever seen, and i am still recovering today (neck, throat, ears). I thought Maynard was really into the show, and he was pissed that the crowd didn't respond much to the newer songs like Rossetta and the Pot. Lateralus was by far the highlight of the night, and by the way, Danny is not human, I think he is an alien on steroids. I saw the guy painted white, thought that was cool. How did anyone have enough energy to go to Peabodies afterwards? I felt like someone had just kicked my ass, I could hardly function. Pittsburgh tonight, can't wait, might expire

Who takes their girlfreind to a Tool concert and hugs on her all night???????

not appropriate

Peace out
Old 09-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #36
Super Bat Kiss

Bincount™: 9554

I liked how after 10,000 Days everyone broke out their lighters for the five-minute break while the band chilled sitting in the middle of the stage...not something I'd expect to see at any other show (sitting on the stage, not the lighters).
Old 09-26-2006, 09:31 AM   #37
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 16

Last night was my first Tool show ever. I can't believe how awesome it was. Lateralus was my favorite song they played, but wings/10,000 took the cake for the best lights. I was in awe of it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 09:55 AM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by barffyman View Post
p.s. if anyone here has seen them perform Reflection or Third Eye, is it as amazing as i think it would be?
absolutely...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

[QUOTE=sixstring571;1433741]I would like to say that the crowd is not the only problem. How can you have a pit when there are chairs on the floor? It should have been open so we could slam!!!!! There was an old lady with a pretzel on the floor. Are you kidding? I was trying to incite the kids around me to cut the chair straps and toss em out!!!!! I felt like a caged animal in that shitty arena!!!!!!! Couldn't really get into it as I would have liked to. But the band itself was electrifying!!!!!!!!

One of the security guards told me it was the band who didn't want people moshing. I find that hard to believe. If you don't want it, don't play that type of music. But I get the feeling that was just them tryin to pawn the bad blood about it ,off on the band. Pretty fucked up ask me. A request for Maynard? No more fucking arenas!!!!!!!!!!! Speaking for myself I want to mosh!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the reason for going to shows for me!!!!!!!

FUCK YOU

Moshers are akin to scum. You want to mosh? You'd be happier at Godsmack concert. You're either a dumb kid or white trash, or both. We want to watch Tool perform, not have your dumb, pimple faced angst put unto us.

again, would be mosher, FUCK YOU, and i'm glad it dampered your experience.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

***UPDATE***

Well, it's the following day, and my head still hurts a bit - mainly due to my sinuses aching from all the smoke from various sources =) - my ears are still ringing slightly, my neck feels like I slept standing on my head, and even my knees hurt (I'm not sure why, I guess I'm getting old).

Oh, and I have one more symptom I'd like to mention...a PERMA-GRIN!

I'm still stoked - great show, guys. Don't pay attention to the haters and / or nitpickers who get caught up on the details about which lyrics were switched around or what technical difficulties came up. Tool teaches us (among other things) to reach up and out, and enjoy the entire experience of the forest (life) without spending too much time dwelling on the details.

"Over-thinking, over-analyzing, separates the body from the mind..."

Tool are four of the most talented individuals in all of music - and I mean physically, mentally, creatively, spiritually, the whole package. These guys are friggin' musical Jedi! Mad props, boys - job well done.

Peace

P.S. - IMHO, the crown didn't suck, either. Maynard has been baiting all the crowds the same way all throughout this tour (read posts for other shows before you start hatin') - it's his way of stirring up the proverbial "pot", and he's just having fun. Maybe you had some lamers standing around your general vicinity, but hey, we can't all be Tool Army Generals from day one! And going back to the quote above, did anyone notice that the crowd IN GENERAL was enormously pleased to be there, and showing it in spades?!? I myself can hardly speak today!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: