opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 07. Parabola
User Name
Password
Old 12-08-2002, 10:03 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
The Parabolic Structure

Let me start my statement by giving the root definition of a parabola:
Para = same
Bolus = source

Someone, who has no idea what a "TOOL"(the band) is, told me this, although I cannot verify its accuracy.

Now, there are a number of things that have a parabolic structure, like flashlights, car headlights, and satellites. The parabolic structure in flashilights and car headlights are used to bounce the light coming from the "focus" into a uniformed direction which is parallel to the axis of symmetry (Algebra stuff). While in satellites, they use the parabolic structure to be able to gather information and direct it to the "focus". It's like the usage of flashlights reversed (pardon me but I'm really not good at explaining things).

So this is my interpretation of the song.

"This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality."

I think that the whole album is sort of the journey of a man, who may or may not be MJK, who has given so much only to reach fall and break apart, but in the process learns to embrace "the moment" and see the light.

Parabola is the stage (after Reflection, in which the guy decides to "crucify ego") wherein the man learns to shift his body in an embracing position, therefore creating a parabolic structure. This position enables him to grasp reality, feel pain. And he is embracing his mortality (which causes him great pain) through his parabolic body, but the pain that is amplified in his focus is so intense that somehow, he feels divinity. All of a sudden, there's no more pain, only divinity and an overwhelming holy experince. Only in his grasping and embracing mortality, does he feel divinty. I think that's the theme of the song. (There's a great in this, but it makes a whole lot of sense if I only had the ability to explain better).

Then again, I may be wrong.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: