Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » General Discussion
User Name
Password
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
11-05-2017, 12:31 AM

I think it's the promoters that take care of that kind of stuff, moreso than the band.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:31 AM   #5721
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619
Re: General Tool Discussion

I think it's the promoters that take care of that kind of stuff, moreso than the band.
11-05-2017, 03:50 AM

If anyone is interested in seeing A Perfect Circle in Camden, NJ, I have 2 extra tickets I'm looking to sell for MUCH less than face value. These are 12th row seats (section 101 Row D). Please contact me ASAP via private message or email me at [email protected] Thanks.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:50 AM   #5722
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

If anyone is interested in seeing A Perfect Circle in Camden, NJ, I have 2 extra tickets I'm looking to sell for MUCH less than face value. These are 12th row seats (section 101 Row D). Please contact me ASAP via private message or email me at [email protected] Thanks.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
swimminginmusic's Avatar swimminginmusic
11-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Welp, since I have nothing better to do for my birthday, and tickets are cheap, looks like I'll be seeing APC in Seattle. Anyone heard of they have a support act for this tour?
[Tucson07] [LasVegas07] [Phoenix09] [Tucson12] [SanDiego14] [SanFrancisco16] [SanDiego16] [TheGorge17] [Chicago18] [Denver19] [Denver19] [Glendale20] [Portland20] [Tacoma22] [Anaheim22] [SaltLakeCity22] [Orlando22] [Chicago22] [London22]
Old 11-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #5723
Level 7 - Loquacious

Welp, since I have nothing better to do for my birthday, and tickets are cheap, looks like I'll be seeing APC in Seattle. Anyone heard of they have a support act for this tour?
[Tucson07] [LasVegas07] [Phoenix09] [Tucson12] [SanDiego14] [SanFrancisco16] [SanDiego16] [TheGorge17] [Chicago18] [Denver19] [Denver19] [Glendale20] [Portland20] [Tacoma22] [Anaheim22] [SaltLakeCity22] [Orlando22] [Chicago22] [London22]
11-19-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimminginmusic View Post
Yeah, it's the Beta Machine, which is basically just a couple of the guys from APC.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #5724
crows before hoes

Quote:
Yeah, it's the Beta Machine, which is basically just a couple of the guys from APC.
11-26-2017, 02:32 AM

Went and saw APC in Chicago last night. This was the first time for both my wife and I... for one reason or another, I never got around to seeing them in years past. Here are my thoughts in their entirety...

(I included a TLDR if this wall of text makes you queasy)

1. Beta Machine - Was actually very enjoyable. More of a tempered, electronica vibe in contrast to APC themselves. 2 of the members are APC's drummer and bassist, joined by a female lead vocalist/keyboardist, and a dude on guitar/keys/synth(?). I've forgotten their names and I'm just lazy enough not to google for a possible wiki bio page. Regardless, enjoyable warm-up set.

2. Maynard's Voice - It was surprisingly exceptional for the duration of the set and very up front in the mix. He sounded and acted very energetic and enthusiastic. For the record, I'm of the opinion that his voice has aged quite well, all things considered. I feel he hit a rough patch between 2007-11 where age and prolonged touring caught up with him, and during that time he struggled a bit to find a happy medium between being faithful to the material and his capabilities. Since then, I'd say his performance has only improved. It will never be what it was in his prime, but this show was the best I've heard from him since 10kdays, personally. His runs were controlled, pitch felt on all night, he knocked out a couple high notes on Orestes (as well as couple other songs in the set) and nailed a couple power screams (notably the "CoalEEEEEsce" in the middle of Outsider). I did catch his voice come unraveled just for a moment during Thomas while tackling the "REEEEEE-" portion of one of the 'hoping to reconnect to you' bits at the end. For what it's worth, I think he's always struggled with those and when it did break - he got it back under control almost immediately and finished the song with energy. He didn't go all deva and act mopey the rest of the set or anything.

3. The Lighting and Stage - I assume this was Junior's work, although I'm not sure. High marks here. Nothing to complain about. From this show and what I've seen from bootlegs; an APC show seems to be intentionally about 1 or 2 orders of magnitude lower than a Tool show on the visual stimulation front. No large video screens, but where the screens do occur, they are tastefully placed and usually running some cohesive abstract animations that work well with the mood of each song. The lights and color choices... again, appropriate and tasteful. Overall it felt like it was visually exciting but left more of a focus on the band. Only one hiccup that seemed to occur during Thinking of You... the band started the song and got about a measure or two into it before the lights and screens came back on. I kinda chuckled when it happened. I somehow like seeing technical issues like that happen at shows. It's redeemable seeing how the band and crew handle it. In this case the band was unphased, and once the lights and screens came back on they were in sync with the band from then on out. Minimal distraction. If there was any stand out visual element to this show, it was during The Package which was also the opener. The band was backlit with spot lights that left only their silhouettes cast against a veil that was draped across the front of the stage. The lights turned on only when that particular member was "playing". The effect was simple in concept but really captivating in execution. The veil dropped at a key moment in the song, I'm sure you could guess.

4. Crowd Banter - Some of it I laughed at, other things, I rolled my eyes.

LOL I fucking broke the character limit. That's a first... I guess the will have to be a two-post review.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 11-26-2017 at 02:39 AM..
Old 11-26-2017, 02:32 AM   #5725
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

Went and saw APC in Chicago last night. This was the first time for both my wife and I... for one reason or another, I never got around to seeing them in years past. Here are my thoughts in their entirety...

(I included a TLDR if this wall of text makes you queasy)

1. Beta Machine - Was actually very enjoyable. More of a tempered, electronica vibe in contrast to APC themselves. 2 of the members are APC's drummer and bassist, joined by a female lead vocalist/keyboardist, and a dude on guitar/keys/synth(?). I've forgotten their names and I'm just lazy enough not to google for a possible wiki bio page. Regardless, enjoyable warm-up set.

2. Maynard's Voice - It was surprisingly exceptional for the duration of the set and very up front in the mix. He sounded and acted very energetic and enthusiastic. For the record, I'm of the opinion that his voice has aged quite well, all things considered. I feel he hit a rough patch between 2007-11 where age and prolonged touring caught up with him, and during that time he struggled a bit to find a happy medium between being faithful to the material and his capabilities. Since then, I'd say his performance has only improved. It will never be what it was in his prime, but this show was the best I've heard from him since 10kdays, personally. His runs were controlled, pitch felt on all night, he knocked out a couple high notes on Orestes (as well as couple other songs in the set) and nailed a couple power screams (notably the "CoalEEEEEsce" in the middle of Outsider). I did catch his voice come unraveled just for a moment during Thomas while tackling the "REEEEEE-" portion of one of the 'hoping to reconnect to you' bits at the end. For what it's worth, I think he's always struggled with those and when it did break - he got it back under control almost immediately and finished the song with energy. He didn't go all deva and act mopey the rest of the set or anything.

3. The Lighting and Stage - I assume this was Junior's work, although I'm not sure. High marks here. Nothing to complain about. From this show and what I've seen from bootlegs; an APC show seems to be intentionally about 1 or 2 orders of magnitude lower than a Tool show on the visual stimulation front. No large video screens, but where the screens do occur, they are tastefully placed and usually running some cohesive abstract animations that work well with the mood of each song. The lights and color choices... again, appropriate and tasteful. Overall it felt like it was visually exciting but left more of a focus on the band. Only one hiccup that seemed to occur during Thinking of You... the band started the song and got about a measure or two into it before the lights and screens came back on. I kinda chuckled when it happened. I somehow like seeing technical issues like that happen at shows. It's redeemable seeing how the band and crew handle it. In this case the band was unphased, and once the lights and screens came back on they were in sync with the band from then on out. Minimal distraction. If there was any stand out visual element to this show, it was during The Package which was also the opener. The band was backlit with spot lights that left only their silhouettes cast against a veil that was draped across the front of the stage. The lights turned on only when that particular member was "playing". The effect was simple in concept but really captivating in execution. The veil dropped at a key moment in the song, I'm sure you could guess.

4. Crowd Banter - Some of it I laughed at, other things, I rolled my eyes.

LOL I fucking broke the character limit. That's a first... I guess the will have to be a two-post review.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 11-26-2017 at 02:39 AM..
elusivEuphoria's Avatar elusivEuphoria
11-26-2017, 02:33 AM

5. The Setlist and Performance - I peeked at the setlist when the tour started, so I had an idea of what to expect. I really haven't looked to see if I missed out on anything, but it was basically exactly what I was expecting.

It started out more aimed at MDN/13th-Step material which sounded great. The Package was a solid opener. The whole band nailed it. Guns blazing by the time they got to the big "Give this to ME!". But in general, first several songs made me remember why I like this band in the first place.

About a third of the way into the set came the first emotive track of the night; Imagine - followed by By and Down. The latter; I have never really hated nor loved. Of the new songs, I like it the most and seeing/hearing it live helped solidify it for me as a juuuust slighly below average APC song, but an admissible part of their repertoire. I would have been more excited by this song had Maynard gone for the high note at the end. The only time I've heard him do this was a bootleg of the show when they debuted the song. This was 1 of 2 times during the show where I thought because he sounded so athletic with his range up to that point, that maybe (just maybe) he'd take a stab at a risky note.

Imagine on the other hand; I liked that song the most when I first heard it and then it fairly rapidly became a 'meh' song for me. I don't hate it, but it doesn't do anything for me anymore and seeing it live didn't improve it any.

Thomas came next and was definitely one of the highlights of the night for me. Helped me get excited again.

People are People followed - Billy's one and only time on lead vocals. Coming from someone who was never put off by Emotive, nor by Billy singing, but both then and now would prefer the alternative(s) - This song was probably my least favorite off that album. That said... the way they've tweaked it for the live setting is redeemable. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

The halfway point in the set was marked by Orestes, a favorite of mine. They basically performed the same version the did back in 2013, which is well documented by the Red Rocks show on Stone and Echo. I liked it. I think it's an honorable version of the song... but I do think it gets a little self-serving with the extended guitar soloing toward the end. It adds a bit of glossy pretentiousness to what I would otherwise consider a raw, visceral, and vulnerable song. This song also marked the peak of my enjoyment of the show. It didn't come to a screeching halt for me ... but there where several points from here on out where (again, for me) the show pumped the brakes pretty hard.

The next three songs were Vanishing, Thinking of You and Stranger in that order. While I wouldn't consider any of these to be among my favorite APC songs, I love the studio releases of these 3 and the live performances were just as good. BUT - the vibe they have and the order in which they occurred felt schizophrenic. Up until this point in the set, I hadn't even paid attention to how much time had gone by... but I was starting to feel some of my enthusiasm waning by the time Stranger was over. My only objective complaint would be with the tone of the whiny guitar melody at the beginning of Thinking of You - The bit that sort of matches Maynard's vocals for "Lying all alone and restless". It sounded abrasive and kind of broke my focus.

Then the came the nose dive - Remixed 3 Libras (All Main Courses) - All I can say is the band loves performing this song. That much is clear. Lots of energy and they perform it well. But man... I'd rather hear a "2013 Orestes"-style attempt at the original version, a different song, or nothing at all than this bastardized version of the song. I never objected to it when I heard it on aMotion; if anything I thought it was intriguing that they made that song sound that heavy. But at least then it was presented alongside (if memory serves) 2(?) other remixes of 3 Libras. For me, it can stand up only in that context - It does not work for me in a live setting. Given what Maynard is able to pull off in other songs, I don't think I'd accept that this song exists in the set because "it was a popular single but he can't sing original, so this is what we get". I think it exists because they want the setlist to ROCK more. To me, that's not the appeal of APC. I don't like this band because of how hard they rock. If anything, I've always revered the vulnerable emoting and delicate, ethereal melodies that almost come across as improvised, but I digress.

Hourglass - Rock bottom. I like nothing about this song. If it were food, I'd spit it out. No amount of "pairing" can make it "taste" enjoyable. The band disagrees, based on their performance. They played it with heart.

Counting Bodies... (etc) - a mild recovery - This song live is like RATM pretending they are NIN while covering The Pet. My thoughts on this are much the same as anything else from eMotive/aMotion... I didn't mind it when it first came out but having now seen it live... I'd care not to see/hear it live again or possibly at all. My wife dug it, however. I leaned over to her when it started and said "Think, Nine Inch Nails." and given that she loves Trent, I think that helped her perspective of it. She had never heard the song before, and she told me after the show that had it been the other way around, she wouldn't have liked that song. The performance sold it for her.

The Doomed - *sigh* Of the 4 new APC songs, this one ranks a VERY low 3rd for me. Seeing it live did nothing to improve my perception of this song. Before digging into why I don't like it, I'll say what (now) sets it just out ahead of Hourglass for me. Compositionally; It's more dynamic... arguably than any of the new songs and it has moments where the instrumentation and vocals become tonally reminiscent of what I like about APC. That's pretty much where my praise stops though. There are equally as many points in the song where it exemplifies what I don't like hearing from this band. At least on what I'd consider to be a serious effort. I'll admit to being one that defended eMotive back in the day... but any reason I had for doing so is now gone. I treated eMotive as Maynard's brief foray into the political arena and assumed he'd likely not return to in any more of a direct way, certainly not with APC. Basically, I just never took it all that seriously. But for fuck sake.... this "woke" finger-waggling pretentiousness is just gut-wrenching to see continuing to come from this band. I feel like I'm the last person in a line of people that have every reason to believe now that this band isn't going to diverge from this material anytime soon. And yet, somehow if this song was a Puscifer song, I wouldn't mind it as much. In the context of APC however; it almost irreparably breaks the mold of what I'd expect and look forward to see/hear.

Outsider - Great performance from the band all around. Maynard went for the scream a but bailed on the high note (2 of 2) for "FAR AWAY" at the end. That said, this song did little to boost my enthusiasm and here's why: When 13th step came out, I remember there being some article about the album that touched on the writing process, noting that there was some friction between Maynard and Billy about the "heaviness" of a few of the tracks (Package/Outsider/Pet). Billy being the one that wanted to get more heavy, while Maynard felt like he already had a project (Tool) with which to explore those types of sounds. Instead he had more of an interest in participating in the "other" songs. To me, those three songs occurring on the album in the way that they did felt like Maynard saying, "Okay, this is as far as I'll go before I try to pull back on the reins." -- Hearing this song in the context of this set made me feel that Maynard has let go of the reins entirely. Instead I feel much more of a "fuck it" approach to this band from him. "Billy, you get as heavy as you want and I'll get as political as I want. Fuck what the fans think. It was never about them in the first place." While that may be true... I feel like this particular project is so far off the rails that there may be no hope of it returning to anything that resembles its beginnings.

Feathers - I like this song about as much as I like By and Down. I can essentially wash/rinse/repeat my thoughts here. But seeing as though it closed out the set, all I can add is that I hope the album has more songs like this than the likes of Hourglass and The Doomed; otherwise I suspect my interest in this band is also doomed.

TOO FUCKING LONG - THERE IS NO FUCKING WAY I'M READING ALL OF THAT
Band Performance: 10/10
Visuals: 9.5/10
Setlist: 6/10
Overall: 7/10

Songs I wish I heard but didn't: Brena, Gravity, Judith, Over
Songs my wife wishes she heard: Brena, When The Levee Breaks

My take-away from this show was as follows: Maynard and Billy seem to be remorseless about the direction they wish to take this project. If the new songs and this tour are any indication (as I feel they should be) about what to expect from this new album when it drops... I expect to be disappointing. At best I'm expecting a 50/50 split of songs I like and don't like, and of the ones I do, I'm holding out hope that there will be a couple that will make me go, "THIS... MORE OF THIS". Should that somehow be the case, based on this show... I probably would go see them again when they tour to support the release. It was an energetic concert. The band played with passion. That much was encouraging.

And of course... all of this almost assuredly means no Tool album until at least 2019. I guess that means both bands will have effectively gone through a 13-14 year drought, should that be the case. At least the last Tool show I saw and what they've teased doesn't have me as worried as I am about APC, but there's still time.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:33 AM   #5726
Level 10 - Vehement

5. The Setlist and Performance - I peeked at the setlist when the tour started, so I had an idea of what to expect. I really haven't looked to see if I missed out on anything, but it was basically exactly what I was expecting.

It started out more aimed at MDN/13th-Step material which sounded great. The Package was a solid opener. The whole band nailed it. Guns blazing by the time they got to the big "Give this to ME!". But in general, first several songs made me remember why I like this band in the first place.

About a third of the way into the set came the first emotive track of the night; Imagine - followed by By and Down. The latter; I have never really hated nor loved. Of the new songs, I like it the most and seeing/hearing it live helped solidify it for me as a juuuust slighly below average APC song, but an admissible part of their repertoire. I would have been more excited by this song had Maynard gone for the high note at the end. The only time I've heard him do this was a bootleg of the show when they debuted the song. This was 1 of 2 times during the show where I thought because he sounded so athletic with his range up to that point, that maybe (just maybe) he'd take a stab at a risky note.

Imagine on the other hand; I liked that song the most when I first heard it and then it fairly rapidly became a 'meh' song for me. I don't hate it, but it doesn't do anything for me anymore and seeing it live didn't improve it any.

Thomas came next and was definitely one of the highlights of the night for me. Helped me get excited again.

People are People followed - Billy's one and only time on lead vocals. Coming from someone who was never put off by Emotive, nor by Billy singing, but both then and now would prefer the alternative(s) - This song was probably my least favorite off that album. That said... the way they've tweaked it for the live setting is redeemable. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

The halfway point in the set was marked by Orestes, a favorite of mine. They basically performed the same version the did back in 2013, which is well documented by the Red Rocks show on Stone and Echo. I liked it. I think it's an honorable version of the song... but I do think it gets a little self-serving with the extended guitar soloing toward the end. It adds a bit of glossy pretentiousness to what I would otherwise consider a raw, visceral, and vulnerable song. This song also marked the peak of my enjoyment of the show. It didn't come to a screeching halt for me ... but there where several points from here on out where (again, for me) the show pumped the brakes pretty hard.

The next three songs were Vanishing, Thinking of You and Stranger in that order. While I wouldn't consider any of these to be among my favorite APC songs, I love the studio releases of these 3 and the live performances were just as good. BUT - the vibe they have and the order in which they occurred felt schizophrenic. Up until this point in the set, I hadn't even paid attention to how much time had gone by... but I was starting to feel some of my enthusiasm waning by the time Stranger was over. My only objective complaint would be with the tone of the whiny guitar melody at the beginning of Thinking of You - The bit that sort of matches Maynard's vocals for "Lying all alone and restless". It sounded abrasive and kind of broke my focus.

Then the came the nose dive - Remixed 3 Libras (All Main Courses) - All I can say is the band loves performing this song. That much is clear. Lots of energy and they perform it well. But man... I'd rather hear a "2013 Orestes"-style attempt at the original version, a different song, or nothing at all than this bastardized version of the song. I never objected to it when I heard it on aMotion; if anything I thought it was intriguing that they made that song sound that heavy. But at least then it was presented alongside (if memory serves) 2(?) other remixes of 3 Libras. For me, it can stand up only in that context - It does not work for me in a live setting. Given what Maynard is able to pull off in other songs, I don't think I'd accept that this song exists in the set because "it was a popular single but he can't sing original, so this is what we get". I think it exists because they want the setlist to ROCK more. To me, that's not the appeal of APC. I don't like this band because of how hard they rock. If anything, I've always revered the vulnerable emoting and delicate, ethereal melodies that almost come across as improvised, but I digress.

Hourglass - Rock bottom. I like nothing about this song. If it were food, I'd spit it out. No amount of "pairing" can make it "taste" enjoyable. The band disagrees, based on their performance. They played it with heart.

Counting Bodies... (etc) - a mild recovery - This song live is like RATM pretending they are NIN while covering The Pet. My thoughts on this are much the same as anything else from eMotive/aMotion... I didn't mind it when it first came out but having now seen it live... I'd care not to see/hear it live again or possibly at all. My wife dug it, however. I leaned over to her when it started and said "Think, Nine Inch Nails." and given that she loves Trent, I think that helped her perspective of it. She had never heard the song before, and she told me after the show that had it been the other way around, she wouldn't have liked that song. The performance sold it for her.

The Doomed - *sigh* Of the 4 new APC songs, this one ranks a VERY low 3rd for me. Seeing it live did nothing to improve my perception of this song. Before digging into why I don't like it, I'll say what (now) sets it just out ahead of Hourglass for me. Compositionally; It's more dynamic... arguably than any of the new songs and it has moments where the instrumentation and vocals become tonally reminiscent of what I like about APC. That's pretty much where my praise stops though. There are equally as many points in the song where it exemplifies what I don't like hearing from this band. At least on what I'd consider to be a serious effort. I'll admit to being one that defended eMotive back in the day... but any reason I had for doing so is now gone. I treated eMotive as Maynard's brief foray into the political arena and assumed he'd likely not return to in any more of a direct way, certainly not with APC. Basically, I just never took it all that seriously. But for fuck sake.... this "woke" finger-waggling pretentiousness is just gut-wrenching to see continuing to come from this band. I feel like I'm the last person in a line of people that have every reason to believe now that this band isn't going to diverge from this material anytime soon. And yet, somehow if this song was a Puscifer song, I wouldn't mind it as much. In the context of APC however; it almost irreparably breaks the mold of what I'd expect and look forward to see/hear.

Outsider - Great performance from the band all around. Maynard went for the scream a but bailed on the high note (2 of 2) for "FAR AWAY" at the end. That said, this song did little to boost my enthusiasm and here's why: When 13th step came out, I remember there being some article about the album that touched on the writing process, noting that there was some friction between Maynard and Billy about the "heaviness" of a few of the tracks (Package/Outsider/Pet). Billy being the one that wanted to get more heavy, while Maynard felt like he already had a project (Tool) with which to explore those types of sounds. Instead he had more of an interest in participating in the "other" songs. To me, those three songs occurring on the album in the way that they did felt like Maynard saying, "Okay, this is as far as I'll go before I try to pull back on the reins." -- Hearing this song in the context of this set made me feel that Maynard has let go of the reins entirely. Instead I feel much more of a "fuck it" approach to this band from him. "Billy, you get as heavy as you want and I'll get as political as I want. Fuck what the fans think. It was never about them in the first place." While that may be true... I feel like this particular project is so far off the rails that there may be no hope of it returning to anything that resembles its beginnings.

Feathers - I like this song about as much as I like By and Down. I can essentially wash/rinse/repeat my thoughts here. But seeing as though it closed out the set, all I can add is that I hope the album has more songs like this than the likes of Hourglass and The Doomed; otherwise I suspect my interest in this band is also doomed.

TOO FUCKING LONG - THERE IS NO FUCKING WAY I'M READING ALL OF THAT
Band Performance: 10/10
Visuals: 9.5/10
Setlist: 6/10
Overall: 7/10

Songs I wish I heard but didn't: Brena, Gravity, Judith, Over
Songs my wife wishes she heard: Brena, When The Levee Breaks

My take-away from this show was as follows: Maynard and Billy seem to be remorseless about the direction they wish to take this project. If the new songs and this tour are any indication (as I feel they should be) about what to expect from this new album when it drops... I expect to be disappointing. At best I'm expecting a 50/50 split of songs I like and don't like, and of the ones I do, I'm holding out hope that there will be a couple that will make me go, "THIS... MORE OF THIS". Should that somehow be the case, based on this show... I probably would go see them again when they tour to support the release. It was an energetic concert. The band played with passion. That much was encouraging.

And of course... all of this almost assuredly means no Tool album until at least 2019. I guess that means both bands will have effectively gone through a 13-14 year drought, should that be the case. At least the last Tool show I saw and what they've teased doesn't have me as worried as I am about APC, but there's still time.
millermt's Avatar millermt
11-27-2017, 06:36 AM

Tool headlining Rock on the Range in mid-May. Thoughts on whether there is a new album by then?
12-Aug-02 Trenton, NJ | 13-Aug-02 NYC | 29-Oct-02 PHL | 17-May-06 PHL | 19-May-06 NYC | 20-May-06 NYC | 28-Sep-06 Camden, NJ | 02-Oct-06 Wilkes-Barre, PA | 05-Oct-06 Hartford, CT | 06-Oct-06 East Rutherford, NJ | 07-Oct-06 Long Island, NY | 09-Jun-07 Atlantic City, NJ | 23-Jun-07 Fort Wayne, IN | 29-Jun-07 Cincinnati, OH | 07-Aug-09 Cincinnati, OH | 16-Jul-10 Las Vegas, NV | 15-Mar-14 Las Vegas, NV | 22-Jan-16 STL | 23-Jan-16 Nashville, TN | 29-Oct-16 NOLA | 08-Jun-17 Rosemont, IL | 20-May-18 Columbus, OH | 08-May-19 Louisville, KY | 13-May-19 STL | 04-Jun-19 Prague | 05-Jun-19 Vienna | 15-Oct-19 DEN | 16-Oct-19 DEN | 31-Oct-19 MKE | 11-Nov-19 Toronto | 12-Nov-19 Toronto | 24-Nov-19 Raleigh, NC | 18-Jan-20 Glendale, AZ | 21-Jan-20 ATX | 29-Jan-20 Nashville, TN
Old 11-27-2017, 06:36 AM   #5727
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Tool headlining Rock on the Range in mid-May. Thoughts on whether there is a new album by then?
12-Aug-02 Trenton, NJ | 13-Aug-02 NYC | 29-Oct-02 PHL | 17-May-06 PHL | 19-May-06 NYC | 20-May-06 NYC | 28-Sep-06 Camden, NJ | 02-Oct-06 Wilkes-Barre, PA | 05-Oct-06 Hartford, CT | 06-Oct-06 East Rutherford, NJ | 07-Oct-06 Long Island, NY | 09-Jun-07 Atlantic City, NJ | 23-Jun-07 Fort Wayne, IN | 29-Jun-07 Cincinnati, OH | 07-Aug-09 Cincinnati, OH | 16-Jul-10 Las Vegas, NV | 15-Mar-14 Las Vegas, NV | 22-Jan-16 STL | 23-Jan-16 Nashville, TN | 29-Oct-16 NOLA | 08-Jun-17 Rosemont, IL | 20-May-18 Columbus, OH | 08-May-19 Louisville, KY | 13-May-19 STL | 04-Jun-19 Prague | 05-Jun-19 Vienna | 15-Oct-19 DEN | 16-Oct-19 DEN | 31-Oct-19 MKE | 11-Nov-19 Toronto | 12-Nov-19 Toronto | 24-Nov-19 Raleigh, NC | 18-Jan-20 Glendale, AZ | 21-Jan-20 ATX | 29-Jan-20 Nashville, TN
Rexum420
11-27-2017, 08:05 AM

Toolband.com says its one of the only shows of 2018 so i doubt the album is before lol
07/05/2007 - Grand Rapids MI | 01/24/2012 - Toledo, OH | 01/22/2016 St. Louis | 10/26/2016 - Denver | 06/08/2017 - Rosemont, IL | 06/09/2017 - St Paul, MN | 05/13/2018 Norther Invasion | 05/20/2018 Rock on the Range | 05/16/2019 Lincoln NE | 05/17/2019 Des Moines IA | 10/31/2019 Milwaukee | 11/02/2019 Indianapolis | 11/09/2019 Detroit |
Old 11-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #5728
Level 7 - Loquacious

Toolband.com says its one of the only shows of 2018 so i doubt the album is before lol
07/05/2007 - Grand Rapids MI | 01/24/2012 - Toledo, OH | 01/22/2016 St. Louis | 10/26/2016 - Denver | 06/08/2017 - Rosemont, IL | 06/09/2017 - St Paul, MN | 05/13/2018 Norther Invasion | 05/20/2018 Rock on the Range | 05/16/2019 Lincoln NE | 05/17/2019 Des Moines IA | 10/31/2019 Milwaukee | 11/02/2019 Indianapolis | 11/09/2019 Detroit |
millermt's Avatar millermt
11-27-2017, 08:37 AM

Wow, guess that means no album in 2018?
Old 11-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #5729
Level 8 - Vociferous

Wow, guess that means no album in 2018?
J A G's Avatar J A G
11-27-2017, 09:16 AM

no one here can answer that
Old 11-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #5730

Bincount™: 7676

no one here can answer that
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
11-27-2017, 09:40 AM

There will have been 4 US presidents by the time between 10,000 Days and the new album.

Bush
Obama
Fucking Moron
Old 11-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #5731
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

There will have been 4 US presidents by the time between 10,000 Days and the new album.

Bush
Obama
Fucking Moron
Rexum420
11-28-2017, 11:00 AM

Any one here considering ROTR?

Its not far for me so im gonna make the haul. Current AIC line up is pretty good. Also APC and Tool in the same weekend is awesome lol.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #5732
Level 7 - Loquacious

Its not far for me so im gonna make the haul. Current AIC line up is pretty good. Also APC and Tool in the same weekend is awesome lol.
J A G's Avatar J A G
11-28-2017, 11:06 AM

ROTR?

I might make the drive.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #5733

ROTR?

I might make the drive.
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
11-28-2017, 02:08 PM

I may give it another read just to brush up.

Rules of the Road https://g.co/kgs/6WS856
Old 11-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #5734
Up From The Skies

I may give it another read just to brush up.

Rules of the Road https://g.co/kgs/6WS856
junior
11-29-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post

3. The Lighting and Stage - I assume this was Junior's work, although I'm not sure.

It’s not. Sarah Landau does APC now.
I last lit APC in 2014 at Cinquanta.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #5735
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

3. The Lighting and Stage - I assume this was Junior's work, although I'm not sure.

It’s not. Sarah Landau does APC now.
I last lit APC in 2014 at Cinquanta.
Rexum420
12-02-2017, 01:00 PM

Well ROTR is booked.

I wonder if there are gonna be any other shows.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #5736
Level 7 - Loquacious

Well ROTR is booked.

I wonder if there are gonna be any other shows.
12-02-2017, 05:28 PM

Got to hear Maynard impersonate Bon Scott while APC did an AC/DC cover last night. It was quite entertaining. Thought his voice sounded pretty good, even though he said he had some throat issues he picked up in Spokane. There was a song-ending scream that he botched... cleared his threat and apologized for it. He seems to be doing just fine, though.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #5737
Level 7 - Loquacious

Got to hear Maynard impersonate Bon Scott while APC did an AC/DC cover last night. It was quite entertaining. Thought his voice sounded pretty good, even though he said he had some throat issues he picked up in Spokane. There was a song-ending scream that he botched... cleared his threat and apologized for it. He seems to be doing just fine, though.
TheCurler
12-02-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexum420 View Post
Definitely the best ROTR lineup yet.
Always love being in Cali.

http://www.reggaeontheriver.com/
Old 12-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #5738
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexum420 View Post
Definitely the best ROTR lineup yet.
Always love being in Cali.

http://www.reggaeontheriver.com/
12-04-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah the show at the Key Arena was really good. Definitely better than a few years ago when APC played at the Showare Center in Kent. Maynard was very talkative and the new songs sound good live. Maynard confirmed new APC album in 2018 right before playing Hourglass.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #5739
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Yeah the show at the Key Arena was really good. Definitely better than a few years ago when APC played at the Showare Center in Kent. Maynard was very talkative and the new songs sound good live. Maynard confirmed new APC album in 2018 right before playing Hourglass.
12-04-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:

.......My take-away from this show was as follows: Maynard and Billy seem to be remorseless about the direction they wish to take this project. If the new songs and this tour are any indication (as I feel they should be) about what to expect from this new album when it drops... I expect to be disappointing. At best I'm expecting a 50/50 split of songs I like and don't like, and of the ones I do, I'm holding out hope that there will be a couple that will make me go, "THIS... MORE OF THIS". Should that somehow be the case, based on this show... I probably would go see them again when they tour to support the release. It was an energetic concert. The band played with passion. That much was encouraging.

I disagree with Hourglass and The Doomed. I love both those songs and when I saw them live a few nights ago I like them even more. I am looking forward to new APC if it songs like The Doomed and Hourglass.

I do agree that the 3 libras remix has got to go. That to me is rock bottom.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #5740
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:

.......My take-away from this show was as follows: Maynard and Billy seem to be remorseless about the direction they wish to take this project. If the new songs and this tour are any indication (as I feel they should be) about what to expect from this new album when it drops... I expect to be disappointing. At best I'm expecting a 50/50 split of songs I like and don't like, and of the ones I do, I'm holding out hope that there will be a couple that will make me go, "THIS... MORE OF THIS". Should that somehow be the case, based on this show... I probably would go see them again when they tour to support the release. It was an energetic concert. The band played with passion. That much was encouraging.

I disagree with Hourglass and The Doomed. I love both those songs and when I saw them live a few nights ago I like them even more. I am looking forward to new APC if it songs like The Doomed and Hourglass.

12-04-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew77 View Post
Doesn't do much for me either. Cool with them not playing the original anymore if they feel it's not their thing, but play something else instead.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #5741
crows before hoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew77 View Post
Doesn't do much for me either. Cool with them not playing the original anymore if they feel it's not their thing, but play something else instead.
12-05-2017, 08:25 AM

Yeah the remix is not appealing at all. Hopefully its cut for the shorter set at ROTR lol.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #5742
Level 7 - Loquacious

Yeah the remix is not appealing at all. Hopefully its cut for the shorter set at ROTR lol.
Rexum420
12-08-2017, 08:47 AM

I see APC is booked for something in Vegas in late April. I suspected ROTR would be around some kind of tour for APC and their new album. I wonder if ROTR is gonna be the only Tool show, or if they will book one or two the week before/after.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #5743
Level 7 - Loquacious

I see APC is booked for something in Vegas in late April. I suspected ROTR would be around some kind of tour for APC and their new album. I wonder if ROTR is gonna be the only Tool show, or if they will book one or two the week before/after.
J A G's Avatar J A G
12-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Wreckem hard
Wreckem often
Wreck that rectum

Get all your ROTR updates @ http://www.curling.ca/2017roaroftherings/
Old 12-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #5744

Wreckem hard
Wreckem often
Wreck that rectum

Get all your ROTR updates @ http://www.curling.ca/2017roaroftherings/
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
12-08-2017, 10:18 AM

Rectum, nearly killed em.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #5745
Up From The Skies

Rectum, nearly killed em.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #5746
Banned.

Rexum420
12-08-2017, 02:20 PM

"Maynard and Billy seem to be remorseless about the direction they wish to take this project. "

why should they have any regret or guilt about where they want to take their band?
Old 12-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #5747
Level 7 - Loquacious

"Maynard and Billy seem to be remorseless about the direction they wish to take this project. "

why should they have any regret or guilt about where they want to take their band?
12-08-2017, 02:42 PM

I wouldn't expect them to; necessarily. I'm just pointing to the fact that they took a lot of flack for eMotive with regard to it's politically charged tone... and we're seeing the same themes carry on with this tour and next album.

It's possible that Maynard is simply done being overtly introspective and is now aiming his lyrical themes at processing the world in the state that it is through his filter of experience. For me, this comes across overly judgemental and preachy. 15 years ago I wouldn't have expected him to be taking this direction with such determination; and certainly not with APC.

IOW, it feels like to me they are sacrificing APC's original artistic tone just to make a social-political statement that ultimately I think will have very little impact other than to shrink their fan base.

edit: what's also concerning is given Maynard's speeches during tours with Tool and slight lyrical change ups while performing with Tool... I'm expecting this to carry over into Tool's next album too.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 12-08-2017 at 02:46 PM..
Old 12-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #5748
Level 10 - Vehement

I wouldn't expect them to; necessarily. I'm just pointing to the fact that they took a lot of flack for eMotive with regard to it's politically charged tone... and we're seeing the same themes carry on with this tour and next album.

It's possible that Maynard is simply done being overtly introspective and is now aiming his lyrical themes at processing the world in the state that it is through his filter of experience. For me, this comes across overly judgemental and preachy. 15 years ago I wouldn't have expected him to be taking this direction with such determination; and certainly not with APC.

IOW, it feels like to me they are sacrificing APC's original artistic tone just to make a social-political statement that ultimately I think will have very little impact other than to shrink their fan base.

edit: what's also concerning is given Maynard's speeches during tours with Tool and slight lyrical change ups while performing with Tool... I'm expecting this to carry over into Tool's next album too.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 12-08-2017 at 02:46 PM..
Rexum420
12-08-2017, 04:43 PM

ah ok. I definitely better understand what you were alluding to now. Im not worried about it carrying over though. IMO everything new except for hourglass has been great.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #5749
Level 7 - Loquacious

ah ok. I definitely better understand what you were alluding to now. Im not worried about it carrying over though. IMO everything new except for hourglass has been great.
12-08-2017, 11:20 PM

Given that it's danny saying it, I won't hold my breath.

"definitely, probably, maybe if..." Yeah sure, bud. Proof is in the pudding. See you in 2019.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:20 PM   #5750
Level 10 - Vehement

Given that it's danny saying it, I won't hold my breath.

"definitely, probably, maybe if..." Yeah sure, bud. Proof is in the pudding. See you in 2019.
Malaclypse
12-08-2017, 11:36 PM

it would be just like them lol
Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 PM   #5751
Banned.

it would be just like them lol
12-09-2017, 11:52 PM

Sounds like they're pretty serious about trying to record in 2018, which isn't a huge shock to me. I'll still be a little surprised if it releases that year.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #5752
crows before hoes

Sounds like they're pretty serious about trying to record in 2018, which isn't a huge shock to me. I'll still be a little surprised if it releases that year.
12-11-2017, 07:46 AM

Kinda Pissed that i shelled out for ROTR when Norther Invasion has Both APC/Tool and its significantly cheaper.

Might still go to Sunday if they end up selling any single day passes.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #5753
Level 7 - Loquacious

Kinda Pissed that i shelled out for ROTR when Norther Invasion has Both APC/Tool and its significantly cheaper.

Might still go to Sunday if they end up selling any single day passes.
12-11-2017, 05:31 PM

ROTR has a much better lineup though. Northern Invasion has pretty much Tool & APC, and fuck all else worth seeing.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #5754
crows before hoes

ROTR has a much better lineup though. Northern Invasion has pretty much Tool & APC, and fuck all else worth seeing.
12-11-2017, 05:33 PM

Black veil brides, tho.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #5755
Level 10 - Vehement

Black veil brides, tho.
Rexum420
12-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Yeah i guess pissed is probably a poor choice of words. Just erked me a bit lol.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #5756
Level 7 - Loquacious

Yeah i guess pissed is probably a poor choice of words. Just erked me a bit lol.
12-12-2017, 03:58 PM

http://drummagazine.com/danny-carey-...oming-in-2018/

Quote:
“It’s gonna be really good,” he said. “We’re really excited about it. We’re getting really close, too. We’re probably going to write the rest of this year and then start tracking early in the new year. So, it’ll be out some time in 2018.”
Old 12-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #5757
crows before hoes

http://drummagazine.com/danny-carey-...oming-in-2018/

Quote:
“It’s gonna be really good,” he said. “We’re really excited about it. We’re getting really close, too. We’re probably going to write the rest of this year and then start tracking early in the new year. So, it’ll be out some time in 2018.”
12-13-2017, 05:14 AM

Well, good to hear things are progressing at least. I thought this was pretty exciting:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BclgwriA...-by=tommorello
Old 12-13-2017, 05:14 AM   #5758
Level 8 - Vociferous

Well, good to hear things are progressing at least. I thought this was pretty exciting:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BclgwriA...-by=tommorello
12-22-2017, 12:19 PM

noticed toolband.com was/is down. think they're re-doing it again?
Old 12-22-2017, 12:19 PM   #5759
Level 7 - Loquacious

noticed toolband.com was/is down. think they're re-doing it again?
12-22-2017, 04:17 PM

Hopefully, the new site kinda sucks
Old 12-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #5760
crows before hoes

Hopefully, the new site kinda sucks

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply