opin.menu.register.jpgopin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Salival » 8. LAMC
User Name
Password
Reply
Old 11-27-2002, 10:45 PM   #1
Mr. 200,000
 
48&2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Australia.
Posts: 4,454
Bincount™: 3568
666.....hidden messages??

At one point during the song the lady starts going on about something then says press six......the person on the other end presses 6 three times '666'.....nothing that unusual but I thought I would mention it......Also I was wondering about maybe a secret message in this song with the pressing of the keys. Every time a key is pressed a different tone plays, if someone that has a phone similar to the one used on LAMC could match up the tones there could be some sought of hidden message in numbers or letters (like sms)....(im probably not making much sense) but if u get my drift and have a lot of spare time give it a go and tell me what you came up with....Spiral Out
__________________
He who devotes his whole mind to doing nothing, will have everything done for him.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 07:41 PM   #2
X
 
Mark D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Farmington MI/Ypsilanti MI
Posts: 3,871
Bincount™: 746
maening of life

i get what you're saying. hell, it could be a really important message, but I'm too lazy to try to figure it out.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:09 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: indiana
Posts: 21
Bincount™: 0
ive always been convinced he was pressing 666 too. i dont know about any secret messages especially tryin to figure them out because im pretty sure that the tones run vertically down the phone where 1, 4, and 7 make the same tone and so forth. i also like the use of "proposition 187" using the police code for murder. either just another funny number or meaning wanting to kill whoever made the system. who knows?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 09:39 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 1
Bincount™: 0
The fact is, that all phones make basically the same tones when buttons are pressed. And also, each button makes a different tone, (you can play a half assed song like mary had a little lamb by pressing the different numbers.) If the tones were different on different phones or the same on certain buttons, then you could not dial out a number very well. The computer looks for a certain tone when you press buttons. When it hears a certain tone, it registers the the tone and places it with it's corresponding number. It works very similarly to voice recognition software. Only much less complicated.

The 666 is most likely just a little joke tossed in by tool. Yes, they most likely created the song to mock the technology and idiocy of automated computer systems/people nowadays. I really also doubt that there's a "hidden message." It's not like MAJD a bunch of prophets, trying to get some important message accross. If they were trying to get an important message out, I'm sure they would tell us more straight forward.

-Live as Melchizedek.
__________________
As above, so below.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 03:48 AM   #5
parasite of this town (tdn $upporter)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Earth, usually.
Posts: 4
Bincount™: 0
actually..

All phones make exactly the same tones in terms of pitch when different keys are pressed. This is why whenever you use an automated messaging system it will work from any touch-tone phone. I used to have the knack of being able to pick out tones from hearing them (don't ask why ;) but I'm really out of practice. I'm sure somebody could do this, however.

But.. here's the caveat. If you take any sequence of numbers you are bound to be able to find some hidden message if you try hard enough. This might be an interesting diversion to attempt just on the merits of being different and fun, but any meaning derived from this that isn't Straight From the Horse's Mouth(tm) should be viewed with *extreme* skepticism. If you give me an arbitrary sequence of numbers and a few days to play with them I can gaurantee I'll return a "secret message" that would blow your mind if you didn't know better.
__________________
"question = (to) ? be : !be;" --Shakespeare
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 06:45 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: St.Petersburg,Russia
Posts: 19
Bincount™: 0
Re: actually..

Quote:
Originally posted by doubleyewdee

But.. here's the caveat. If you take any sequence of numbers you are bound to be able to find some hidden message if you try hard enough. This might be an interesting diversion to attempt just on the merits of being different and fun, but any meaning derived from this that isn't Straight From the Horse's Mouth(tm) should be viewed with *extreme* skepticism. If you give me an arbitrary sequence of numbers and a few days to play with them I can gaurantee I'll return a "secret message" that would blow your mind if you didn't know better.
Absolutely agree....same thing here LOL
__________________
www.toolband.org check it out..that's russian work
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:28 PM   #7
Mr. 200,000
 
48&2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Australia.
Posts: 4,454
Bincount™: 3568
Yep I know what you mean, I think I was looking a litle too far...
__________________
He who devotes his whole mind to doing nothing, will have everything done for him.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 12:25 AM   #8
On Probation
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 66
Bincount™: 2
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 08:09 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Internet.
Posts: 88
Bincount™: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by thelambslain
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Thats the dumbest thing you could say. no offense but those lyrics dont even mean that you shouldn't over think. Its illustrating the difference between thought and instinct. I am fed up with people using that to prove a point that doesnt even make sense. seriously though what is your point? Stop thinking everyone, its dangerous.
__________________
Karen O's voice is soaked with enough piercing reverb to lance white-hot needles of pain through your cochlea.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 08:16 PM   #10
Banned.
 
George Bush Sr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Undoing Myself
Posts: 1,520
Bincount™: 8
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

This is a good thing, NOT A BAD THING.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:24 PM   #11
. Anthropophagite .
 
SadSummerSea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In the Blue of my Oblivion
Posts: 3,178
Bincount™: 553
Quote:
Originally posted by George Bush Sr.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

This is a good thing, NOT A BAD THING.
AMEN
You're my hero, Mr. Bush.
__________________
What do you expect after this? Applause? Your name on stone?
You will have nothing but me and in a worse way than before -
Dissolving and reforming so quickly I seem only to flicker.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:33 PM   #12
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
seraph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 104
Bincount™: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by George Bush Sr.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

This is a good thing, NOT A BAD THING.
i'd disagree...mind and body are one, no separation

thinking and analyzing use logic and rationale but overdoing it causes unnecessary thought and the mind tends to trail off by thinking and thinking and thinking and thinking....thinking...withering intuition because intuition has no place in logic. intuition belongs to the non-thinking and more 'feeling' side of human nature.

be silent and trust your intuition...go in the dark, close your eyes and welcome whatever may come...'cept bats
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 10:18 PM   #13
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,008
Bincount™: 128
ehm.. i dunno... but i am THINKING and ANALYSING with my mind... not with my body
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 10:20 PM   #14
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,008
Bincount™: 128
and something about the 6!

in the "Sober" video... you see around 4.14 you see the floor... in the floor are holes... the left holes make a 6... if you look very good... just try... see?

*edit*also.. if you stop the video ecaxtly at 4.29 you can see that there are 6 glasses in the machine (or whatever it is)

*edit*... also.. yes again.. around 1.20 to 1.26 in the song... you see that tiny box... and guess again... yes the rope is going 6 times over the box... Strange

Last edited by Nirvana; 04-17-2003 at 10:25 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:03 AM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hellas
Posts: 64
Bincount™: 0
hmmm strange indeed..

as for intuition...well guys,intuition is a form of thinking i am afraid..what you may thinks is a 6th sence is just a more advanced way of thinking..ill give you an example how the mind works:

lets say you want to think about something from

1 to 5 (numbers could be anything..like if you really like someone)

and in order to take a desision you have to take all the steps one by one for that particular thing (ex 1hight 2face 3attitude etc)

well your intuition (your gutt) summs things up going from 1 to 5 and inthe same time going back to referances from other 1 to 5's youve done in the past..so..to stick to our example..you might think that you really like that person but your guts referance to other ppl youve met might tell you otherwise

just trying to help out the whole thing fot yous guys
__________________
beliefs makes your brain inactive
an inactive brain is clinically dead
believe in nothing...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #16
Level 2 - Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: saskatoon
Posts: 7
Bincount™: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by seraph
i'd disagree...mind and body are one, no separation

thinking and analyzing use logic and rationale but overdoing it causes unnecessary thought and the mind tends to trail off by thinking and thinking and thinking and thinking....thinking...withering intuition because intuition has no place in logic. intuition belongs to the non-thinking and more 'feeling' side of human nature.

be silent and trust your intuition...go in the dark, close your eyes and welcome whatever may come...'cept bats
I think its really your own interpretation, and thats what the album is all about, think about its called Lateralus, Lateral thinking, using that big blob of grey matter in your head and think outside the box, think about what im saying and use my thoughts to trigger your own thoughts, thats what i think all the albums on the song are trying to say, they arent some dictating religion to live your life by and quote them every time a possible situation comes up. And i dont think that they make their music to be one specific way, thats why there can be many interpretations on it and you can all still be right, there is no right or wrong answer and in the end let your own judgement be the one that dictates your train of thought.

ive said my bit
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 11:00 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
conical johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 242
Bincount™: 3
Getting back on topic...

If anybody wants to just figure out all the keys pressed in the song, you can plug them into www.phonespelling.com and see what you get. Meaning you wouldn't have to sit around for days looking at a phone and trying to figure something out.
__________________
There's, like, a whole other deeper level, man.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 12:43 AM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 939
Bincount™: 0
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

Well since you know about this...why don't you tell us the message you found? :)

This has my interest, l will return.
__________________
l don't want to be alone again today...
Hold me close and together we'll pray
That this moment never fades away...
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:19 PM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement
 
GregoryWohlwend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ames, IA
Posts: 2,528
Bincount™: 322
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

overthinking and overanalyzing IS a bad thing. If i could, i'd live as a child, with no thought and pure bliss

ignorance is bliss

trust me, you'll get there eventually, the pursuit of knowledge is the same as the pursuit of drugs, sex anything. stinkfist applies to all pursuit.
__________________
my blog
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:33 PM   #20
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Las vegas
Posts: 171
Bincount™: 0
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryWohlwend
overthinking and overanalyzing IS a bad thing. If i could, i'd live as a child, with no thought and pure bliss

ignorance is bliss

trust me, you'll get there eventually, the pursuit of knowledge is the same as the pursuit of drugs, sex anything. stinkfist applies to all pursuit.

I agree with you to an extent... alot of the time i find people hear over thinking over analyzing and all kinds of crazy stuff... but there is a need for thought sometimes..... these are thought proviking lyrics but alot of the times the message is so simple we see past it
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 02:48 AM   #21
987
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 370
Bincount™: 24
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

Salival has been in my cd player the last 6 (well what do you know...) days and LAMC caught my attention today. I started thinking maybe there is something more than just the obvious:
Quote:
Yes, they most likely created the song to mock the technology and idiocy of automated computer systems/people nowadays.
Fuck... I pressed escape and everything I just wrote disapeared. Yeah go on phlame me. Fuck that sucks... anyways... basically what I was saying was that I counted the bashing sounds and found out that it starts with 1 bash, then goes on to 2 bashes, 3 bashes, 4 bashes, 5 bashes, etc. until it reaches 30 bashes. I was hoping that if you added the numbers you would get the number 666, but it was 465.

Keep posting though if anyone finds out anything. It would be really cool if we ended up finding a new joke akin to the one in the booklet of the european version of ænima.
I remember how everyone was talking about over-analyzing and how stupid it was to try to find out anything and that Maynard was just saying what he said to fuck with us etc. Well, what we found definately was real, and funny as hell.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:53 AM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 939
Bincount™: 0
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

That sucks.
__________________
l don't want to be alone again today...
Hold me close and together we'll pray
That this moment never fades away...
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:40 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Metamorphosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 282
Bincount™: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph
i'd disagree...mind and body are one, no separation

thinking and analyzing use logic and rationale but overdoing it causes unnecessary thought and the mind tends to trail off by thinking and thinking and thinking and thinking....thinking...withering intuition because intuition has no place in logic. intuition belongs to the non-thinking and more 'feeling' side of human nature.

be silent and trust your intuition...go in the dark, close your eyes and welcome whatever may come...'cept bats
i have to say you are wrong, the body and the mind are both seperate. seperate because the body is what we live in and exists in the "material" world, our minds are actaully a conceptual term for our conciousness, therefore our minds can stray from our body (from the material world) and into the spiritual world, what do you think happens when you're high on psychadelik drugs.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:09 PM   #24
987
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 370
Bincount™: 24
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

After some months keeping this "song" in mind I don't think we'll ever find out what it means; simply because it doesn't mean shit exept from the obvious.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 01:08 PM   #25
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 939
Bincount™: 0
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

When do you think TOOL's next album will come out? Anyone have any ideas?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 02:47 AM   #26
CCD
If nothing is everything I've got it all (tdn $upporter)
 
CCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,496
Bincount™: 5332
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumzim13
ive always been convinced he was pressing 666 too. i dont know about any secret messages especially tryin to figure them out because im pretty sure that the tones run vertically down the phone where 1, 4, and 7 make the same tone and so forth. i also like the use of "proposition 187" using the police code for murder. either just another funny number or meaning wanting to kill whoever made the system. who knows?
Prop 187 was a California ballot proposition to restrict government benefits for illegal aliens. Perhaps this is what LAMC refers to?

P.S. As a side note, Los Angeles county no longer has a municipal court. All judicial functions are now handled by the superior court. So, the song is dated...
__________________
Let us now, as Futurists, enter one of these hospitals for anaemic sounds. There: the first bar brings the boredom of familiarity to your ear and anticipates the boredom of the bar to follow. Let us relish, from bar to bar, two or three varieties of genuine boredom, waiting all the while for the extraordinary sensation that never comes.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #27
987
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 370
Bincount™: 24
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllforUnity
When do you think TOOL's next album will come out? Anyone have any ideas?
Heard Manyard was going to work with Tool this summer, so it'll be out may 8 i think.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:31 PM   #28
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 939
Bincount™: 0
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

May 8th? That's pretty early...where is your source of information?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:15 PM   #29
987
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 370
Bincount™: 24
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

Error: Please read message one more time.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:38 PM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 939
Bincount™: 0
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

l realize you said you think that's when it will be out, and that you hear that...that's why l asked where you heard it from.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:57 PM   #31
987
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 370
Bincount™: 24
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

But you do realize that may 8th is before summer?


Ahh... I'll stop it's boring... No one knows when the next Tool album will be released. What we know is that Mr. Chancelor is working on bass lines and that the band will meet up this summer to work together.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:16 PM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 939
Bincount™: 0
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

l see the error your talking about now.




You got me?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:55 PM   #33
987
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 370
Bincount™: 24
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

Guess I did ;)
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:09 AM   #34
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 939
Bincount™: 0
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

Yep. l guess so.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 08:41 PM   #35
2005 TDN Bracketologist
 
CyberSlave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,061
Bincount™: 434
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

I think the song was there just to annoy people. The 666 is probably a hidden joke just so some stupid people will think they are satanists or nazis like Die Eier Von Satan.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:05 PM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 939
Bincount™: 0
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

Vandersexxx.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:51 PM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: dallas
Posts: 36
Bincount™: 5
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

well tool does love 666,
Maynards dick starts At 6:66 or 7:06
the gaping lotus experienve starts at track 6 about 6:06
so maybe they just have a weord facination with the number six
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:40 PM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 939
Bincount™: 0
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

Why don't you ask Crowley?
__________________
l don't want to be alone again today...
Hold me close and together we'll pray
That this moment never fades away...
Fade away, fade away, like any other day.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Mesiah?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: US
Posts: 32
Bincount™: 0
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph
i'd disagree...mind and body are one, no separation

thinking and analyzing use logic and rationale but overdoing it causes unnecessary thought and the mind tends to trail off by thinking and thinking and thinking and thinking....thinking...withering intuition because intuition has no place in logic. intuition belongs to the non-thinking and more 'feeling' side of human nature.

be silent and trust your intuition...go in the dark, close your eyes and welcome whatever may come...'cept bats
good call

[p.s. nice avatar]
__________________
well im bill barnes and im the extectutive director to the ba ba ba ba bbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrnnnnneeeesssssss ems ems ems zabillarns i like to make the history come alive to t he people that come bahhhhhhy meeeeeeeeee
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:07 PM   #40
Super Bat Kiss
 
5th Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbusland
Posts: 6,164
Bincount™: 9554
Re: 666.....hidden messages??

*rolls eyes at unnecessaliry revived thread*
__________________
music!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote


Reply

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Quick Reply
Your Reply:
Forum Jump

all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.