opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/05/10 - Denver, CO - Temple Buell Theatre

SETLIST --

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/10 - Denver, CO - Temple Buell Theatre

incredible show. first time to see the best band mankind has produced.

same set list. Lateralus was the best song. we cried during "spiral out" section. it was danny's birthday?!?! maynard mentioned it four times. wasn't excited at first to hear Schism, but very glad they chose to do it.

the entire set rubbed my pole. i wouldn't change a thing except the t-shirt prices. other highlights were sober and ænema. the band was so tight. acoustics were excellent. they rock your world with incredible, intense sound but they're just standing still on the stage. no hijinx. maynard played the synthesizer. on two songs Justin played lead high on his bass while Adam played the bass line low on his guitar. amazing.

visuals were great. The crowd was fantastic. Afterward, we kept breaking into spontaneous yelling episodes on the way out and in the streets.

Maynard said the album had gone to number one. He said the safest way to keep it there was if we all went out and purchased another copy each week for 52 weeks. After the sit down "encore" he said "Bitch, bitch, bitch." It was funny.

wrote this on my hand-held. more later. peace out/shit the bed.

Last edited by murphy; 05-10-2006 at 11:53 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
Introverted Extrovert

Bincount™: 6698

Fucking incredible show.

Hey...did y'all know? I's Danny's birthday!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Set list:

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
AEnima

I'm not sure if that's 100% in order.
Happy birthday, Danny!
What an amazing show.

If anyone saw a small girl with red and black hair dancing around in a trance-like manner in BALC D, Row A, that was me. :) I hope you all had as much fun as me. I can't wait until they come back. Best show I've ever been to!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacruz6
If anyone saw a small girl with red and black hair dancing around in a trance-like manner in BALC D, Row A, that was me. :) I hope you all had as much fun as me. I can't wait until they come back. Best show I've ever been to!
omg, lik I think I saw you!!!!

That show was beyond incredible. I know I went in wanting to see some songs, but I still wouldn't change the set-list for anything. The venue was just so unique for this kind of a show. I think the lights went down at about 7:50, and it was just so surreal.

Congrats to the girl who got past security and ran up on stage and hugged Adam at the end :p And I wonder what was wrong before the Patient... Danny kept working on something on his computer or whatever it was. Maybe he was checking his myspace.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Sweet show. Pretty tight. Adam Goofed on the talk box solo and the lateralus solo. Oh well.

Wish people wouldn't sing along so i could hear maynard better. The kid next to me was basically yelling the whole show and making hand gestures to every lyric. Again oh well.

pretty impressive as usual. The new stuff sounded great live. Hell everything sounded great. Aenema was awesom as usual.

I think it was Danny's birthday.

Maynard said he hated to cut it short but they needed to get danny back to the old folks home since his oxygen tank ran out.

I think the sound was ok. I expected better. The filmore has a better system IMO. Seats were awesome even in the balcony man it was small.

Show started at 7:50 and went for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Really up beat show kept moving which was really nice.

Maynard looks like one of those troll creatures you find in the caves of Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV.

New stuff way better then I thought it would be. Aenema stuff always great. Not much of a fan of Schism or Sober.

Can't complaing definitly worth the money. I need to let it sink in.

Gotta go seinfeld is on and these pretzels are making me thirsty
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Before the show started we were aproached by a stranger asking us if we would give him a ticket. He then informed us that he was able to walk through the doors to the venue with a ticket for another concert and was hoping to find a real ticket so that he could actually walk around the venue before the show started.

Maynard was in a very playful mood. I have not seen him move that much or be that talkative ever. He was moving during some songs, mainly sober, like it was 1993 again. Rosetta Stoned and Lost Keys are amazing and intense live. Lateralus stood out tonight for both charissa and I, they nailed it dead on for that song. The Pot and The Patient were very good but were a little empty compared to songs like Sober or Lateralus. Aenima was really fun for me. I usually don't like this song much live, they seem to close with it often and when I hear it I know I wont get to hear other songs I would rather had them play instead. We payed $450 for a pair of tickets to the nicest, smallest, loudest venue I have ever seen a Tool show in. It was worth every penny. As for the guy with no ticket. We saw him at the end of the show glowing, he got his moneys worth.

Karl
11.15.96, 11.19.96, 03.04.97, 07.04.97, 07.15.97, 07.16.97, 07.18.97, 07.20.97, 07.22.97, 07.26.97, 07.14.98, 07.15.98, 07.21.98, 07.22.98, 07.23.98, 05.18.01, 07.01.01, 09.07.07, 09.08.01, 09.15.01, 09.16.01, 07.19.02, 08.30.02, 09.01.02, 10.18.02, 05.10.06, 08.30.06, 6.28.10, 6.29.10
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

i think i just splurged my pants. first time seeing the band, that was amazing. temple buell had amazing acoustics for the band, i still cant hear properly, the croud was great for a small gig, maynard looked awesome, everyone played great. i only wish they would have given danny a couple min solo break since it is his bday and he is the greatest drummer alive

also, at some other venue, maybe vegas, someone posted danny was wearing a lakers jersey, but it was def a kansas one here.

Last edited by ecab805; 05-10-2006 at 08:57 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Location: The Phallus Palace Fernando Clavijo: Resigned!!! Sex: ***MALE***
Bincount™: 4914

Fuck my ass. With a steak knife. The show was amazing and then some. My first Tool concert and DEFINITELY not my last. I especially loved the atmosphere for the older songs (Stinkfist, 46&2, etc.). The audience was singing louder than Maynard was! Speaking of loud, Danny's bass drums...Fucking hell. The lights, the sound, the video, all of it was so perfectly intertwined to create an unrivalled musical experience. WOW.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
Introverted Extrovert

I've never been to a rock show at the Buell, but I'd have to say, god damn that was intense. I got a kick out of all the ushers and bartenders who were somewhere between the ages of 55-82. I don't think they knew what they were getting in to by agreeing to work.

Strip search I got was VERY intimate. Bitch went right on and between my tits, but much to my surprise, didn't seem to find anything but glandular tissue. :o)

And yes, the acoustics outside the place were awesome, all the yelling, honking horns. I laughed my ass off. The fans were great tonight.

I'm too tired to post much about the show now, more tomorrow, but...it rocked!! I'd put it up there with my top 2 Tool shows. I fell in love all over again. Well worth the $200 I dropped on the ticket.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCheese
Congrats to the girl who got past security and ran up on stage and hugged Adam at the end :p
Big girl. Took three security guys with a tranquilizer gun and a net to take her down . Seriously, how did she get all the way on stage and to Adam before security got to her? RIP Dimebag.

Seventh Tool show

- Tool at the Buell, who would believe it? Great venue and the acoustics were amazing.
- Fourteen rows from the band.
- Jambi and The Pot sound really good live.
- The band sounded the best on the three ÆNIMA tracks.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
Introverted Extrovert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCheese

Congrats to the girl who got past security and ran up on stage and hugged Adam at the end :p
I loved how he hopped up and waved like "I'm ok"
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

6th show, and I can only say that yes their style has changed slightly, but like wine, always better with age. A few minor goofs here and there, Maynard was a beat or two off at the beginning of schism I believe. I guess they are human. Not to repeat everyone else or the set list, but I echo the sentiments... As has been posted from other venues, Maynard was much more vocal and seemed to be having fun with everything.

When they sat down for the encore, he finally got up and made an aside, "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch..."

"Danny Carey's birthday"

"Last week we released our album, this week were #1 on the charts, I'd like to thank you for that. I'd like to keep it like that also, if you could all help out by buying our record again every week until were back here." (or something to this effect)

He still has the hypnotic agitation about himself onstage, but not as pronounced as it was in the Undertow/Aenima days. But it did make it's way out during Sober. Speaking of Sober, instead of fuck L. Ron Hubbard, it was fuck Rupert Murdoch and all of his clones, and he made this nagging gesture during the fuck these dysfunctional insecure actresses (spoken matter-of-factly, not sung).

The man is back and I can't wait for them to come back around. I'll see these guys any day. Lots of energy at the show, ran into some cool noobs. I especially liked all of the 90 year old ladies who were ushers- they probably shit themselves tonight.... Smell ya later...
Old 05-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Some of the awesome quotes Maynard dropped:

"Sorry to keep you up past your bedtime."

"New album came out last week. Thanks to y'all, I think it's number one on Billboard. I think you all need to go buy a new one every single week for the next year so it stays there. It's just the safest way, I can't think of anything else." (Not exact)

"Danny Carey's birthday" (five times or so haha)

"We hate to cut it short, but we gotta get Danny back to the nursing home. His wheelchair's out back, he ran out of oxygen." (again, not exact)

"See ya." (right before closing with AEnima)

Funny guy. :D
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Bought the tix for my girlfriend Jamie 2 1/2 weeks ago. She had no idea. She thought we were "going to dinner downtown." Which we did by the way. Then we went for a little "walk." Soon after we walked closer to the Buell, I revealed the tickets. I brought her a change of underwear, cuz she needed them. 15 rows away, great show, as you all know! No complaints! Love the Denver fans, my ears were bleeding right before the encore. Thanks again Tool and Happy Birthday Jamie my love and Danny!

-this changes everything
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

Let's see.

Maynard played a bit on the keyboard. He moved around a lot, but didn't seem to actually get into the songs as much.

Justin tore it up and was really getting into at the end.

Danny and Adam seemed the same to me. No complaints.

I enjoyed the little sitdown they had. I would too if I was in their position. Talk about a strange experience . . . 3,000 people screaming at you.

New stuff was good. Duh. The Pot and Vicarious worked the best live, I think, though I agree that The Pot does feel a bit empty. I enjoyed seeing Justin solo during The Pot (I'm pretty sure it was that song, right?). Rosetta was only ho-hum to me. I think The Grudge is a better opener. Still, the first part of any Tool show is a strange experience.

I loved the new graphics during Lateralus. Incorporating 10,000 Days stuff into older stuff. Nice. I thought the beginning half of The Patient was the hardest I've heard them play that song, but the end turned into a regular ending . . . which is good even though I think it's a better song on the record than live. I'd have preferred Parabola, naturally, as that is probably my favorite song live.

I thought Sober was good, but not great. It sounded off to me, but the intro was sweet. Danny drumming like crazy.

Well, all in all I thought the show was good. Not the best I've seen, but I don't think anything will ever top the first. Who cares?!?! They're all different and unique. Put me in a trance and send me to another planet. Which planet I visit is always a surprise.

Sleep . . . .
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

This was my 14th TOOL show..It was fuckin awesome, setlist was really smooth flowing i thought, it was so much different than the lateralus shows, all harder songs, which I thought was fuckin awesome....Anyway, Ive been waiting to see the drumming on the new songs, and it didnt dissappoint. Especially the part at the end of Rosetta Stoned. The new songs were fuckin awesome live, especially Vicarious, during which i believe i levitated some 15 feet in the air. Sweet to see Adam use the talkbox in Jambi. To me it seems like the attitude of the new album is reflected in the show. Not as mysterious as the lateralus shows, just a straightforward kick ass fuckin show. Well i guess thats it for now, see you all in a few months.

TOOL IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Right now I'm so exhausted that all I can say is "Fucking amazing...."

Thanks again to BigCheese and zonacruz for helping out (that bottle of water lasted me all of 3 seconds.)

I'll probably have a little more to say tomorrow after work, time for sleep for me, that was a lot of energy to absorb but, man, was it so amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

I am incapable of expressing how cool this show was. First of all, let me apologize to anyone who was next to me as I danced (if you could call it that) very violently and sung a couple of the lyrics. Couldn't help myself. Secondly, who made the shirt with the protest phrase on the back? I should have spoken to you at greater length, but I was focused on getting inside. I felt like a sellout for buying a ticket and not bringing a sign, but you made up for it! Thanks for making my evening that much cooler. Now, about the show. Other than some very different sounds from Adam, a few timing errors and some missed lyrics, the songs were very well performed. Rosetta Stoned was great, but the crowd was not very animated at first. When the song finished, Maynard said "Sorry to keep you up past your bed time." Stinkfist was spot on, as was The Pot. Lots of energy, and this is where the crowd started singing. At a couple of different times during the show, Maynard let the crowd sing a chorus here and there, and he just kind of interacted or led the way when the fans started to get confused about the lyrics. I don't remember when Maynard started to mention that it was Danny Carey's birthday, but he reminded us a lot. Before Jambi, he made the comment about how to keep 10,000 days at the top of the charts. Funny stuff. Schism was excellent, it sounded very close to the studio version, as did the patient. Before Sober, Maynard asked "Do you believe in time travel?" after which Danny broke out into a drum solo. Has he done a solo at any other shows? Lateralus was a crowd pleaser, eliciting plenty of pumping fists, and at this point in the show the crowd was singing louder than Maynard for the choruses and easily recognizable parts. The solos that Adam played were only vaguely similar to the studio version. He apparently botched them pretty well, but he improvised some cool licks.The band took a short break to sit down on the stage (Adam in Maynard's lap, for a brief moment). They just sat there and talked to each other, staring back at all of these screaming fans. I had already lost the ability to cheer, just from releasing a guttoral scream at the end of every song, but the crowd noise was absolutely ridiculous. When they returned to their spots, Maynard retorted with "Bitch, bitch, bitch." Vicarious sounds so much more powerful when it's raw and unprocessed. And finally, Aenema was the perfect closer. I have to admit to singing through the whole song, but so was a large percentage of the crowd. My favorite song was Jambi. They had these infernal visuals that strengthened the idea of teetering on the brink of damnation. I would have liked to see a little more animation from the band, though Maynard did a couple of funny things like looking at his hand as if on acid (if you know what I mean). Adam barely moved at all. Justin actually got into it, though. Seeing him play the weird metered bass solo in Rosetta Stoned was pretty cool. All in all it was an awesome show, well worth the money I paid for my ticket. The Temple Buell was almost to small a venue to contain the intensity that the band put off. Can't wait for them to come back!
Old 05-11-2006, 01:04 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

I stood outside and listened because I could not get in. Sounded like a good time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 05:20 AM   #21
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1202

Old 05-11-2006, 05:44 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75
Great review, except they did not play H.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 07:10 AM   #23
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I emailed him to make that point
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 07:34 AM   #24
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsguitar

Wish people wouldn't sing along so i could hear maynard better. The kid next to me was basically yelling the whole show and making hand gestures to every lyric. Again oh well.
I love the fact that people sing the lyrics back to the band, that's what live shows are all about. You're experincing the music with other people and they are going to sing just like they do when they listen to the CD. It was a great show in a small place, so the fans were even louder.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:03 AM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

T-shirts were $35-40 apiece.

Incredible show! $200 each for center balcony for rows back was wll worth it. It's not often you get to experience something like that in such an intimate venue. TooL is like an unstoppable force of nature live and you just get consumed by it in a place like that!

I think a live show will make believers out of the doubters with regard to the new album. The new songs flow perfectly with the old ones and seeing them live was the highlight for me, especially The Pot and Jambi. But then we fired up a bone during The Pot, so maybe I'm biased. I like Hoffman/Rosetta for a kickoff--RS is way better live!

I'll be back for the stadium tour, but Tool at the Buell was something special! Do what it takes to catch this small venue mini-tour!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 08:07 AM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

I just posted a damn book, and it said I wasn't logged in and now my post is lost. I'm so pissed! I guess I'll re-type my thoughts when my anger dissipates.

'You believe me don't you? Please believe what I just said.'
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #27
Level 3 - Talker

I emaild Ricardo (the reviewer for Denver Post) and this was his reply:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:46 AM
To: Baca, Ricardo
Subject: Tool Review.

Ricardo,
I read your review this morning online, and although excellent, the band did not play H. I think you were referring to Stinkfist. (I apologize if you've already been told this.) Thanks.

-abi
---------------------

absolutely, abi, and thanks for the note. yeah, i got bad info from the guy next to me, as it wasn't a song i was familiar with. way my bad. but still, the show owned!
thanks for the note!
ricardo

-----------------------

Rock on!

OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Picture this if you will...

an advertisment for synthetic living, lobotomies, and brainwashing at an affordable price rolled from the house speakers as elderly ushers adjusted their hearing aids in frustration. wait, i forgot something. before that -- ambient techno beats raced inside my veins, diminishing my own personal safety zone. sounds familiar, i thought. high pitched frequencies filled the auditorium, obscuring voices in the crowd. eyes scanned the faces around me. blank stares. laughter. conversation. anticipation. time stood still. tuned in to these strange, uncomfortable frequencies, my mind has been elevated, prepared. i wondered if any of the others in attendance were also tuned in to this strange, new reality. the crowd cheers in muted waves of excitement... the house lights dimmed and the curtain opened. blue lights. two musicians were on stage. justin and adam. behind them, two risers. one supported mr. careys drum machine (or drumkit, if you prefer) and the other empty. behind the risers, four video screens screamed with color. walls of speakers, walls of lost keys & sound eminating, vibrating at unearthly volumes. my head is/was racing... danny approached the stage and plugged into his machine. the crowd responded with excessive noise, cheering, applause. still no vocalist in sight...

{{present(ly) tense}}

as the segue crescendos a shirtless, mohawked figure clad in bluejeans, dark sunglasses and cowboy boots appears from behind one of the speakers. maynardo the vocalist has made an entrance, apparently waiting for an appropriate moment to ascend from his hiding spot... the crowd responds as he approaches the second riser. The figure speaks into his distortion box. "Alrighty then, picture this if you will..." Sounds EXPLODE while distorted, inhuman vocals reverberate inside the collective mind of everyone in attendance. My head expands, prepares. Fractal, technicolor hallucinations burn images onto the video screens behind the performers as the crowd moves in robotic dream sequences of rhythmic elation. i am moved, transformed. behind the punishing wall of sound, in the back of my mind, silence...

& this is only
the beginning,
i thought...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

fuckin SICK show... trying to get some pics off my phone to show you guys. soooo good though. 1st tool show ever and probably the best concert i've ever been too. fucking amazing. spent 60 bones on a damn tshirt and big ass poster but it was worth it. we were in the first balcony, well, mezzanine in row D but two guys switched us they're orchestra tickets for our tickets so they could sit by there girlfriends which fuckin rocked. hilarious when maynard got up after they're sit down and said, "bitch, bitch, bitch."

danny carey's birthday...
Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool has been my favorite band for over 10 years now, and I was so excited to see them in concert, but the best part of the show wasn't even Tool. The crowd was absolutely DEAFENING during the little "intermission", it was amazing. Then when everyone spilled out onto the streets and were STILL screaming and applauding...I don't know, I found that really moving.

Anyway, it was an excellent show. I was up in the Balcony Section E, was a little worried about the seats when I bought them since I'd never been to the Temple Buell, but they were amazing, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. The acoustics were absolutely incredible in there, I think my ears are still ringing.

Highlights for me were:

Jambi (incredibly moving song, you can really feel it live)
The Pot (wow, this is actually one of my least favorite songs on 10,000 Days but it absolutely owned live)
Schism (another surprise, my least favorite song on Lateralus but the climax was breathtaking)
Lateralus (best performance of the night, the energy was amazing during the "spiral out" section)

Maynard was funny and entrancing as usual, but Danny was the real star for me tonight. He is an absolute animal, and on his birthday no less!

There were only a few cons really. Rosetta Stoned just didn't work for me live, I love it on the album, but I just didn't feel it last night (that's just me though). Also like many others I wish they had played a few songs they didn't (Reflection, Pushit, 10,000 Days), but that's not a big complaint, just me being a greedy Tool fan. Also to all the assholes who wouldn't stop screaming when the band didn't come out at exactly 7:30...I'm not even sure why you came to the show, just relax, take it all in, and enjoy the moment next time.

Anyway, my only real complaintis that it was almost TOO loud. I know that sounds lame, but I could hardly hear Maynard over the music for many songs. The crazy acoustics in the Buell probably contributed to that. Most of my favorite Tool songs (H., Reflection, Parabol/a, etc.) are more lyrically intensive, just so you see where I'm coming from. But really, I think the crowd made up for a lot of that. Tool is all about energy and emotion to me, and everyone personified those emotions last night.

All in all, my second Tool show was definitely better than my first (I saw them in 2001 at the ampitheatre in Mansfield, Maynard had a cold, it was raining, the sound sucked, and I was late, so not a tough choice there). I hope everyone who didn't make it in gets to see them when they come back this summer. It sucked seeing how many people were outside that couldn't get tickets, when I'm rich I'll buy some of you tickets to the next Tool tour!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyGold
I stood outside and listened because I could not get in. Sounded like a good time.
were you the maynard wannabe in the red pants, no shirt, painted blue?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinDieselFiesta
were you the maynard wannabe in the red pants, no shirt, painted blue?
I saw that guy too, when I was going inside. I felt bad for him, but... then I saw a great concert! :)

OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #33
tyc
Level 3 - Talker

holy fucking shit

my ears are still ringing... my favorite parts were stinkfist and vicarious. the t-shirts they had for sale were badass, worth the 35$

everyone screaming in the streets on the way out was bad ass lol i cant wait till they come back
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

Maybe I'm expecting a little more than I should. I thought the show was mediocre, and outside a couple of new songs off 10,000 days & it was a re-hash of old shows. Tool is Tool, so I got what I paid for, basically. But I still went away feeling a little had. 50 dollars for a shirt? Come on. But the wonderful thing about it, the magical thing about it, is that they could've charged twice that, and there still would have been a line to buy. Disappointing? Damn skippy. But nonetheless, an intimate setting.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #35
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias
Maybe I'm expecting a little more than I should. I thought the show was mediocre, and outside a couple of new songs off 10,000 days & it was a re-hash of old shows. Tool is Tool, so I got what I paid for, basically. But I still went away feeling a little had. 50 dollars for a shirt? Come on. But the wonderful thing about it, the magical thing about it, is that they could've charged twice that, and there still would have been a line to buy. Disappointing? Damn skippy. But nonetheless, an intimate setting.
I'm curious what you expected from a rock show, much less a warm up show?
Of course they are going to play old songs, they always have and always will. All bands do. This wasn't a production like Pink Floyd's The Wall. When they come back around the show will be a song or two longer, the set list will be a bit different, and there will be more visuals. It was a great show, but you have to remember this wasn't an all out tool show. They are just adjusting for the larger tour and allowing fans to come see them do it.
If you were disappointed by this show you'll be disappointed by every show.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie75
I'm curious what you expected from a rock show, much less a warm up show?
Of course they are going to play old songs, they always have and always will. All bands do. This wasn't a production like Pink Floyd's The Wall. When they come back around the show will be a song or two longer, the set list will be a bit different, and there will be more visuals. It was a great show, but you have to remember this wasn't an all out tool show. They are just adjusting for the larger tour and allowing fans to come see them do it.
If you were disappointed by this show you'll be disappointed by every show.

Amen.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

i second that!

Last edited by original f/x; 05-11-2006 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: i messed up
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #38
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

No, but he did play on a keyboard/synthesizer. I have never seen it before.

Anyways, was a great show. Everyone covered what happened last night. The DC drum solo before sober was really nice. Every time Danny hit that bass drum it felt like my body was being punched. My friend said he saw a few blinking red lights in the crowd so maybe we will have some video of this show or hopefully at least audio of it. Good times.

Last edited by c4nnon_fodder; 05-11-2006 at 02:17 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

I've waited all day to get on here and gush. Last night was nothing short of amazing. I was in the first row of the balcony center where the crowd was a bit more mellow, but it gave me a great view of the entire venue and the incredible energy! WOW, between the gyrating fans, deafening screams prior to the finale and the random eruptions of sound in the streets afterwards I don't know how you could be anything but thrilled to have been there.

I haven't seen Tool since they toured for Aenema and since then I've seen APC once. I'd nearly forgotten how intense an experience it is to be graced with the brilliance of this band's work. I was completely engrossed and I can't recall anything specific except for the piercing sound rattling my rib cage.

Freaking awesome, thanks to everyone for sharing and contributing to a killer rock show last night!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #40
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Alright, I'm more awake now and I can comment a little more on the show.

-This is the first time I've seen Danny drum since I've started to really appreciate his skills, and holy fucking shit.....that's all I did the entire show. It was amazing how he can pull it off so smoothly. I was really impressed with the end of Schism, and it was awesome to see him during the beginning of The Pot, towards the end of 46&2, and all of Jambi.

-It was great to see Tool after such a long break. I really liked how active Maynard seemed to be, a lot more motions, walking around, and his usual funny comments.

-The venue was very impressive. I was on the balcony, section D, row E, and it still was an amazing view. Very nice sound quality.

-Now I can't wait to see them on their big venue tour. I would've loved to hear Right In Two or especially 10,000 days. The setlist they played was awesome enough.

-I was really hoping that after mentioning Danny's birthday, Maynard would've busted out singing happy birthday or something, thought that would've been cool. That and I would've done anything to get one of Danny's drum heads. Maybe next show.....

Overall, great venue, great show, not a single thing to complain about.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: