Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
praefector's Avatar praefector
04-15-2006, 10:18 PM

as annoying as all the new threads either lauding vicarious as the best song of the year or condemning it as a monumental step backwards, i went back and read our good friend Kabir's review.

i found this snippet to be entirely appropriate:

(about half-way through the album)

"To this point, I had noticed many little sprinkles from previous albums, callbacks to other themes and other progressions, perhaps tying these new tracks sonically and thematically to their older siblings. I continued to notice them throughout the record. Allusions to various songs kept appearing, though I rapidly lost track of where they all were. It will be fun to go through again and hear them, before you stop thinking of them as allusions to old songs and start thinking of them as parts of new ones. "

the point?... our reactions, good or bad....our comparisons, just or unjust are extremely premature. we dont even have the entire album yet and some have already decided tool are losing their edge...that maynard is "too old" and "losing his tool voice" and a whole other helping of horseshit...

and we all wonder why the band is so reluctant to release information and music to us as soon as we want it.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020
When in doubt, look to the wise words of Kabir...

as annoying as all the new threads either lauding vicarious as the best song of the year or condemning it as a monumental step backwards, i went back and read our good friend Kabir's review.

"To this point, I had noticed many little sprinkles from previous albums, callbacks to other themes and other progressions, perhaps tying these new tracks sonically and thematically to their older siblings. I continued to notice them throughout the record. Allusions to various songs kept appearing, though I rapidly lost track of where they all were. It will be fun to go through again and hear them, before you stop thinking of them as allusions to old songs and start thinking of them as parts of new ones. "

the point?... our reactions, good or bad....our comparisons, just or unjust are extremely premature. we dont even have the entire album yet and some have already decided tool are losing their edge...that maynard is "too old" and "losing his tool voice" and a whole other helping of horseshit...

and we all wonder why the band is so reluctant to release information and music to us as soon as we want it.
auralassassin
04-15-2006, 10:22 PM

as a producer of Drum n bass, dub, and breakbeats... I can personally tell you, sampling old breaks, etc work like a charm.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 10
Re: When in doubt, look to the wise words of Kabir...

as a producer of Drum n bass, dub, and breakbeats... I can personally tell you, sampling old breaks, etc work like a charm.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Myriad: Days To Come's Avatar Myriad: Days To Come
04-15-2006, 10:23 PM

is there a chance you could PM the Kabir review? That would help alot. As far as youre post goes. I entirely agree with you. People who rant on how Nard is losing his Symbiotically dark voice have no ground to stand on when judging what they (tool) is going to throw at us with the album (in it's entirety).
Old 04-15-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

is there a chance you could PM the Kabir review? That would help alot. As far as youre post goes. I entirely agree with you. People who rant on how Nard is losing his Symbiotically dark voice have no ground to stand on when judging what they (tool) is going to throw at us with the album (in it's entirety).
auralassassin
04-15-2006, 10:23 PM

yes yes... where is the entire review?
Old 04-15-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
Banned.

yes yes... where is the entire review?
Spongebob's Avatar Spongebob
04-15-2006, 10:36 PM

still haven't read the review.
It stays there like Excalibur
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Take this cool dark steeled blade
Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
I drown with you to be together
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
Old 04-15-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1669

still haven't read the review.
It stays there like Excalibur
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Take this cool dark steeled blade
Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
I drown with you to be together
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
Siel Yardman
04-16-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector

jesus would be proud of you my son.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:33 AM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector

jesus would be proud of you my son.
chalk_line's Avatar chalk_line
04-16-2006, 12:36 AM

am i the only one who doesn't want to read the reviews , i feel it will spoil the intense feeling i will have in hearing the new album unbiased and fresh
Old 04-16-2006, 12:36 AM   #7
a headstone waiting for words

Bincount™: 6093

am i the only one who doesn't want to read the reviews , i feel it will spoil the intense feeling i will have in hearing the new album unbiased and fresh
Siel Yardman
04-16-2006, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalk_line
honestly, if you havent learned in life yet...reviews [ read or not] will not change your opinion of the final outcome.

that is unless you are sheepish.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:41 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
honestly, if you havent learned in life yet...reviews [ read or not] will not change your opinion of the final outcome.

that is unless you are sheepish.
04-16-2006, 12:50 AM

i wouldn't let the reviews sway my opinion ,i just dont want to know the end of the movie before i watch it, maybe thats why i hated the passion so much..
Old 04-16-2006, 12:50 AM   #9

i wouldn't let the reviews sway my opinion ,i just dont want to know the end of the movie before i watch it, maybe thats why i hated the passion so much..
auralassassin
04-16-2006, 12:56 AM

I still want to read a good review. I liked this song... but you never know, I have the ability to shift perspective and see things from another point of view, and still maintain my own... but sometimes it changes it.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:56 AM   #10
Banned.

I still want to read a good review. I liked this song... but you never know, I have the ability to shift perspective and see things from another point of view, and still maintain my own... but sometimes it changes it.
Looque's Avatar Looque
04-16-2006, 12:58 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing what Kabir had to say about the album, either. If anyone can PM me a link, that'd be great.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:58 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I wouldn't mind seeing what Kabir had to say about the album, either. If anyone can PM me a link, that'd be great.
Siel Yardman
04-16-2006, 01:04 AM

Quote:
well, if you didnt know how that one turned out already i dont know where you've been. even the non-religious knew how that worked out.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:04 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
well, if you didnt know how that one turned out already i dont know where you've been. even the non-religious knew how that worked out.
04-16-2006, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siel Yardman
do you really think i didnt know how it turned out, what i am stating is that i dont want to read reviews because i dont want it to spoil what i've been waiting for for years, you can read wahtever you want i could care less..im just stating my opinion. is that so hard to understand? get off my back jerkoff
Old 04-16-2006, 01:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siel Yardman
do you really think i didnt know how it turned out, what i am stating is that i dont want to read reviews because i dont want it to spoil what i've been waiting for for years, you can read wahtever you want i could care less..im just stating my opinion. is that so hard to understand? get off my back jerkoff
praefector's Avatar praefector
04-17-2006, 09:14 AM

days later

this still applies
Old 04-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #14
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

days later

this still applies

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply