Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
lateral_circle's Avatar lateral_circle
04-17-2006, 04:17 PM

My first 3 or 4 spins, the song sounded mediocre at best. Just a re-hash of old riffs and melodies.

After that, Dannys drums and Justins bass jumped out majorly. Still couldn't get into Maynards vocals.

Here I am, 3 days later, and I'm in love. This song is TOOL bringing everything they know together and magnifying it ten-fold. Maynard keeps things on the brink until the 5 minute mark or so. From then on, the BEST sounds they have put together, period.

I prefer playing it loud as hell and on repeat :)
Old 04-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Vicarious observations

My first 3 or 4 spins, the song sounded mediocre at best. Just a re-hash of old riffs and melodies.

After that, Dannys drums and Justins bass jumped out majorly. Still couldn't get into Maynards vocals.

Here I am, 3 days later, and I'm in love. This song is TOOL bringing everything they know together and magnifying it ten-fold. Maynard keeps things on the brink until the 5 minute mark or so. From then on, the BEST sounds they have put together, period.

I prefer playing it loud as hell and on repeat :)
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
spiralout11235's Avatar spiralout11235
04-17-2006, 04:49 PM

Yeah I've had this mother fucker on repeat for a while.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 23
Re: Vicarious observations..............

Yeah I've had this mother fucker on repeat for a while.
04-17-2006, 04:51 PM

Loving that 5 minute mark too man.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Loving that 5 minute mark too man.
lateral_circle's Avatar lateral_circle
04-17-2006, 05:00 PM

So I've noticed a large group of people complaining that Maynards vocals are not "deep" enough. But, IMO, they have a few possible angles to view them from. He could be imagining he's one of the many idiot Americans, he could be seeing the world as a terrorist, or the last one I've contemplated; he is God watching the world. Which would explain the blood, ocean, and ground comments. Any thoughts?
Old 04-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

So I've noticed a large group of people complaining that Maynards vocals are not "deep" enough. But, IMO, they have a few possible angles to view them from. He could be imagining he's one of the many idiot Americans, he could be seeing the world as a terrorist, or the last one I've contemplated; he is God watching the world. Which would explain the blood, ocean, and ground comments. Any thoughts?
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
04-17-2006, 05:11 PM

It would depend on what version of God you're talking about. I agree with the others as possibilities, but I think the terrorist idea is least likely. As far as these lyrics being God's perspective or something, I just don't see it that way. I am in agreement with the idea expressed by Maynard and, I think, endorsed by the rest of the band that the real God is all love and forgiveness. On the aMotion DVD in the part with the commentary by Maynard, he talks about the first line in the Book of John (he says Genesis, but it's John) that says, in the original Hebrew, that "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with god, and the word was love." Considering that, I can't see Vicarious being about any idea Maynard has about God. Like in Merkaba.

Edit: I meant to quote lateral_circle.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
Prana

Bincount™: 8

It would depend on what version of God you're talking about. I agree with the others as possibilities, but I think the terrorist idea is least likely. As far as these lyrics being God's perspective or something, I just don't see it that way. I am in agreement with the idea expressed by Maynard and, I think, endorsed by the rest of the band that the real God is all love and forgiveness. On the aMotion DVD in the part with the commentary by Maynard, he talks about the first line in the Book of John (he says Genesis, but it's John) that says, in the original Hebrew, that "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with god, and the word was love." Considering that, I can't see Vicarious being about any idea Maynard has about God. Like in Merkaba.

Edit: I meant to quote lateral_circle.
04-17-2006, 05:13 PM

5:00 to 6:30 is killer.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

5:00 to 6:30 is killer.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply