Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
View Poll Results: How many plays of this album per week?
0... I never listen to this anymore 33 4.85%
1-3 129 18.97%
4-6 111 16.32%
I'd say I listen once a day on average 182 26.76%
More than once a day 107 15.74%
I'm obsessed with this album and play it constantly 118 17.35%
Voters: 680. You may not vote on this poll

champion's Avatar champion
05-20-2006, 07:19 AM

So, it's May 20th today. It's been almost three weeks since the release of the album. This question will put everyone where they are with the album now, whether they still listen to it like whe nit was first released, even moreso, or less.

I've found myself disappointed with this album. It doesn't have the same effect on me as the others. I really like the music, but there's something strange about it. It's not as good. Not only that, but there are so many others great bands and great albums and great shows, that I haven't checked into this record in at least a week straight, and I don't miss it that much.

All 10,000 Days is to me is another awesome album. So, has the record grown on you or faded on you? How often do you listen to it now?

Last edited by champion; 05-20-2006 at 07:50 AM..
Old 05-20-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 360
How often do you listen to 10,000 Days three weeks later?

So, it's May 20th today. It's been almost three weeks since the release of the album. This question will put everyone where they are with the album now, whether they still listen to it like whe nit was first released, even moreso, or less.

I've found myself disappointed with this album. It doesn't have the same effect on me as the others. I really like the music, but there's something strange about it. It's not as good. Not only that, but there are so many others great bands and great albums and great shows, that I haven't checked into this record in at least a week straight, and I don't miss it that much.

All 10,000 Days is to me is another awesome album. So, has the record grown on you or faded on you? How often do you listen to it now?

Last edited by champion; 05-20-2006 at 07:50 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
A groan's Avatar A groan
05-20-2006, 07:21 AM

I force myself to listen to it on my IPOD since its the only new Tool I have...but I still end up with a hard on once I notice its done Grudge comes on...then I knwo the ride has just begun.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 57
Re: How often do you listen to 10,000 Days three weeks later?

I force myself to listen to it on my IPOD since its the only new Tool I have...but I still end up with a hard on once I notice its done Grudge comes on...then I knwo the ride has just begun.
05-20-2006, 07:24 AM

I listen to it at work, or in my car, but not in my home. I work on an ambulance and I think that it sets a good mood to help me keep my perspective so I don't go nuts. And in my car I listen to it, sing very poorly, very loudly and I will probably continue to do so for quite some time.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
Just Some Dude (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1330

I listen to it at work, or in my car, but not in my home. I work on an ambulance and I think that it sets a good mood to help me keep my perspective so I don't go nuts. And in my car I listen to it, sing very poorly, very loudly and I will probably continue to do so for quite some time.
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
05-20-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion

Three weeks later and I still listen to the album once a day. I love the album but like you I know there are other awesome bands out there, so I have to divide my time.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion

Three weeks later and I still listen to the album once a day. I love the album but like you I know there are other awesome bands out there, so I have to divide my time.
05-20-2006, 08:39 AM

i haven't listened it much lately... one reason is that my cd-player is broken (but i could still use my brothers' stereos) and another reason is that i have much more cds to listen at the moment and i'm a bit bored to 10k days + it's not very good music for ''fun'' (especially wings I & II) etc. and...

i was different when i discovered Aenima and Lateralus and i listened them very much, now i'm probably growing out of this Tool-phase + the new album doesn't have any message for ME (like especially Lateralus did.. it is my favorite album ever at the moment and it ''woke me up'' a bit with it's message).. but for some others perhaps.. i'll still listen to it more soon and i hope they keep on doing more music.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 706

i haven't listened it much lately... one reason is that my cd-player is broken (but i could still use my brothers' stereos) and another reason is that i have much more cds to listen at the moment and i'm a bit bored to 10k days + it's not very good music for ''fun'' (especially wings I & II) etc. and...

i was different when i discovered Aenima and Lateralus and i listened them very much, now i'm probably growing out of this Tool-phase + the new album doesn't have any message for ME (like especially Lateralus did.. it is my favorite album ever at the moment and it ''woke me up'' a bit with it's message).. but for some others perhaps.. i'll still listen to it more soon and i hope they keep on doing more music.
Koan's Avatar Koan
05-20-2006, 09:21 AM

On average once a day. The album is getting better and deeper with each listen. It is fading into view. When I wake up I put on Vicarious and start freaking out to it, helps me wake up. Then there is at least one moment in each day where I put on my headphones, lie down in the dark and let it all sink in...

In the last couple of weeks, everytime I came home stoned, drunk or otherwise intoxicated, I put on Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. And after the soothing ambience and disturbing dialogue, the spoken word part just kicks me in the face and I can't say anything else but HOLY FUCKING SHIT!
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
Old 05-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

On average once a day. The album is getting better and deeper with each listen. It is fading into view. When I wake up I put on Vicarious and start freaking out to it, helps me wake up. Then there is at least one moment in each day where I put on my headphones, lie down in the dark and let it all sink in...

In the last couple of weeks, everytime I came home stoned, drunk or otherwise intoxicated, I put on Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. And after the soothing ambience and disturbing dialogue, the spoken word part just kicks me in the face and I can't say anything else but HOLY FUCKING SHIT!
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
praefector's Avatar praefector
05-20-2006, 09:41 AM

im fine until i start to listen to soemthing else

for some reason anything i hear makes me want to listen to rosetta stoned and right in two
Old 05-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #7
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

im fine until i start to listen to soemthing else

for some reason anything i hear makes me want to listen to rosetta stoned and right in two
BrokeN_Naols
05-20-2006, 10:27 AM

I pretty much listen tothis and a couple of other albums. Aenima. and Deviant by Pitchshifter. on my Mp3 while I clean windows. and listen to this, Aenima and Lateralus at home. and while in bed.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:27 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I pretty much listen tothis and a couple of other albums. Aenima. and Deviant by Pitchshifter. on my Mp3 while I clean windows. and listen to this, Aenima and Lateralus at home. and while in bed.
Ocelot199's Avatar Ocelot199
05-20-2006, 11:03 AM

If I wanted to listen to Tool I'd be listening to any of their other albums (which I do). When I feel like listening to A Perfect Tool, I turn on 10,000 Days.

I think I've listened to it 4 times since I bought it.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
On Probation

Bincount™: 8929

If I wanted to listen to Tool I'd be listening to any of their other albums (which I do). When I feel like listening to A Perfect Tool, I turn on 10,000 Days.

ATARI's Avatar ATARI
05-20-2006, 11:07 AM

maybe through about once every other day
Old 05-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 297

maybe through about once every other day
05-20-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot199

in what way does in sound like a perfect circle? please explain. b/c of its slow parts? come on little kid, LISTEN.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

Quote:

in what way does in sound like a perfect circle? please explain. b/c of its slow parts? come on little kid, LISTEN.
05-20-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody
Its just pussified Tool. Maynard sings in his whiny voice like he does with APC, and its not nearly as hard as Tool's earlier stuff. I didn't say it sounds exactly like APC, but it also doesn't sound entirely like Tool.

And whatever. I don't like it, so I'm not gonna listen to it. Tool have plenty of albums that are worth listening to, so I'm gonna stick with those.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:20 AM   #12
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody
Its just pussified Tool. Maynard sings in his whiny voice like he does with APC, and its not nearly as hard as Tool's earlier stuff. I didn't say it sounds exactly like APC, but it also doesn't sound entirely like Tool.

And whatever. I don't like it, so I'm not gonna listen to it. Tool have plenty of albums that are worth listening to, so I'm gonna stick with those.
A groan's Avatar A groan
05-20-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Ive said the same thing too..
face it theres some of us who over analyze shit to much and end up disliking things with the slightest lack of perfection..and there are those who dont see what we see...2 sides of the coin..

And no matter what us people who find 10k mediocre think and what the people who find it stunning they'll be no understanding fully..
this arguement has become like a discussion on religion...no reason to ask why or try to change the other person..just accept it..
Old 05-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:

Ive said the same thing too..
face it theres some of us who over analyze shit to much and end up disliking things with the slightest lack of perfection..and there are those who dont see what we see...2 sides of the coin..

And no matter what us people who find 10k mediocre think and what the people who find it stunning they'll be no understanding fully..
this arguement has become like a discussion on religion...no reason to ask why or try to change the other person..just accept it..
05-20-2006, 11:26 AM

tool has always had more depth than rocking your balls off and this album does have its moments of rock. but if all you've ever seen is rock with your cock out metal then you were missing the point from the beginning.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:26 AM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

tool has always had more depth than rocking your balls off and this album does have its moments of rock. but if all you've ever seen is rock with your cock out metal then you were missing the point from the beginning.
FortySix&Two
05-20-2006, 11:31 AM

I'd say I listen to at least parts of it, or maybe half of it a day.

Probably my most played tracks are Vicarious, Jambi, Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned.. and Right in Two is coming in my more frequently played tracks currently.

I still listen to the album more than any others for sure, but trying not to overkill.. And no, I don't agree with the whole APC Maynard thing.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #15

Bincount™: 2

I'd say I listen to at least parts of it, or maybe half of it a day.

Probably my most played tracks are Vicarious, Jambi, Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned.. and Right in Two is coming in my more frequently played tracks currently.

I still listen to the album more than any others for sure, but trying not to overkill.. And no, I don't agree with the whole APC Maynard thing.
A groan's Avatar A groan
05-20-2006, 11:32 AM

I look at it like this..and no I hate metal, pits etc..that shit is for angry frat boys..
but there it goes...

If you say look at the songs on lateralus they chnage and evolve over the duration of the song, weaving in and out up and down..coming back to points.
Imagine a graph as a Lat, Anema song..like ---___*****___^^...---****
like that lets imagine with the symbols and such I used, different ones for diffrent beats higher up for louder harder..lower so slower, and middle for just jamming..
But for me to use the same graph/symbol type example for 10k it would appear like
.......------**.........
thats it..low, then a raise, then a point of explosion..then just minutes of music with no direction up or down or back or forth..just taking up tiem till the end..

I knwo horrible example..but I had no real graph..so sue me..
Old 05-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #16

I look at it like this..and no I hate metal, pits etc..that shit is for angry frat boys..
but there it goes...

If you say look at the songs on lateralus they chnage and evolve over the duration of the song, weaving in and out up and down..coming back to points.
Imagine a graph as a Lat, Anema song..like ---___*****___^^...---****
like that lets imagine with the symbols and such I used, different ones for diffrent beats higher up for louder harder..lower so slower, and middle for just jamming..
But for me to use the same graph/symbol type example for 10k it would appear like
.......------**.........
thats it..low, then a raise, then a point of explosion..then just minutes of music with no direction up or down or back or forth..just taking up tiem till the end..

I knwo horrible example..but I had no real graph..so sue me..
05-20-2006, 11:34 AM

i've listened to it pretty much every day since it came out, usually multiple times. i absolutely love the album.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #17

i've listened to it pretty much every day since it came out, usually multiple times. i absolutely love the album.
05-20-2006, 11:36 AM

It's comments like those that make me wish there never was an a perfect circle. a perfect circle were a bit generic at times, I'm sorry. Without maynard what would apc have been? crap that's what. Maynard was A perfect circle imo. And now billy howerdel is going to try things without maynard LOL!!!! that's a laugh

/end rant
Old 05-20-2006, 11:36 AM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

It's comments like those that make me wish there never was an a perfect circle. a perfect circle were a bit generic at times, I'm sorry. Without maynard what would apc have been? crap that's what. Maynard was A perfect circle imo. And now billy howerdel is going to try things without maynard LOL!!!! that's a laugh

/end rant
mike tyson's Avatar mike tyson
05-20-2006, 11:45 AM

Well I just saw them on Wednesday, so I've been listening to it here and there. The mini-tour shows are just a tease, a preparation for the band, and for us. I'm listening to it right now on my 5.1 surround. I still think it's a let-down of an album in ways, but overall I'm glad I have new Tool.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:45 AM   #19
$2 + a potato = $2

Bincount™: 7267

Well I just saw them on Wednesday, so I've been listening to it here and there. The mini-tour shows are just a tease, a preparation for the band, and for us. I'm listening to it right now on my 5.1 surround. I still think it's a let-down of an album in ways, but overall I'm glad I have new Tool.
jenny
05-20-2006, 11:52 AM

i saw tool live lastnight for the first time! amazing show!! i was so rapped up in the moment i bought a $40 tool t-shirt! damnit im a sucker!
Old 05-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

i saw tool live lastnight for the first time! amazing show!! i was so rapped up in the moment i bought a $40 tool t-shirt! damnit im a sucker!
syd_jambi's Avatar syd_jambi
05-20-2006, 11:56 AM

I listen to it on average once a day. Sometimes twice, I'll put it into my walkman and doze off at night.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

I listen to it on average once a day. Sometimes twice, I'll put it into my walkman and doze off at night.
sweatyturtle19's Avatar sweatyturtle19
05-20-2006, 12:00 PM

I absolutely love this album. It's addicting. I've absorbed the previous Tool albums to the point where I don't even discover new things about them anymore. 10,000 days is still new and fresh. With every listen I begin to like it more and more, and am starting to understand the messages in the songs. This album is deeper than a lot of you think.

(I should also note that I did not think this album was amazing the first few times I listened to it. Once the 4th time hit, I became obsessed for some reason. Everything clicked.)
Old 05-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #22
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67

I absolutely love this album. It's addicting. I've absorbed the previous Tool albums to the point where I don't even discover new things about them anymore. 10,000 days is still new and fresh. With every listen I begin to like it more and more, and am starting to understand the messages in the songs. This album is deeper than a lot of you think.

(I should also note that I did not think this album was amazing the first few times I listened to it. Once the 4th time hit, I became obsessed for some reason. Everything clicked.)
Karmel Sutra's Avatar Karmel Sutra
05-20-2006, 12:13 PM

Still listening to it about once a day, sometimes twice, and discover something new each time.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:13 PM   #23

Bincount™: 1

Still listening to it about once a day, sometimes twice, and discover something new each time.
Aggroculture's Avatar Aggroculture
05-20-2006, 01:21 PM

I love it, but I had to stop listening to it, and now I'm enjoying a bunch of other music in its shadow. I peek at it here and there, but not as intensely.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

I love it, but I had to stop listening to it, and now I'm enjoying a bunch of other music in its shadow. I peek at it here and there, but not as intensely.
Towelie's Avatar Towelie
05-20-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:

I'm not a big Maynard fan but, I don't understand the APC hate. Pet has to be one of my favorite songs. I can't trash that endeavour at all because they gave me some very worthwhile songs.

The 10,000 Days will probably be on my rotation for a while. I listen to it while skating. To me, the album is a great work-out listening experience.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #25
Banned.

Bincount™: 7

Quote:

I'm not a big Maynard fan but, I don't understand the APC hate. Pet has to be one of my favorite songs. I can't trash that endeavour at all because they gave me some very worthwhile songs.

The 10,000 Days will probably be on my rotation for a while. I listen to it while skating. To me, the album is a great work-out listening experience.
Aggroculture's Avatar Aggroculture
05-20-2006, 01:49 PM

Dude! I thought you'd be listening to...Counterfist ;)
Old 05-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Dude! I thought you'd be listening to...Counterfist ;)
tomhet
05-20-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Amen, although I don't like it not because it's "pussified" Tool, but because it's kinda mediocre. I can withstand the metal and the non-metal parts of Tool (it's good that Tool has both) but this album is shallow work IMO.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Amen, although I don't like it not because it's "pussified" Tool, but because it's kinda mediocre. I can withstand the metal and the non-metal parts of Tool (it's good that Tool has both) but this album is shallow work IMO.
05-20-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie

I never said I didn't like APC. I like them just fine. I don't like it when they blend with Tool and fuck Tool up so they sound pussified.

Everything is fine in its place... it just bothers me that the APC influence is so incredibly apparent on 10,000 Days. If I wanted APC, I'd listen to Mer de Noms or 13th Step. If I want Tool, I listen to a Tool release.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #28
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie

I never said I didn't like APC. I like them just fine. I don't like it when they blend with Tool and fuck Tool up so they sound pussified.

Everything is fine in its place... it just bothers me that the APC influence is so incredibly apparent on 10,000 Days. If I wanted APC, I'd listen to Mer de Noms or 13th Step. If I want Tool, I listen to a Tool release.
05-20-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A groan
were still programmed on some primitive level to fight over it though. if theres nothing to fight about we still look for something...

example: even knowing that it's just his opinion, i still cant help but want to argue against ocelot's posts for a multitude of reasons...as im sure many others do. same goes for anyone that acts like their likes and dislikes are "right" and anyone who disagrees is "wrong". it feels like an instinctive reaction to me.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by A groan
were still programmed on some primitive level to fight over it though. if theres nothing to fight about we still look for something...

example: even knowing that it's just his opinion, i still cant help but want to argue against ocelot's posts for a multitude of reasons...as im sure many others do. same goes for anyone that acts like their likes and dislikes are "right" and anyone who disagrees is "wrong". it feels like an instinctive reaction to me.
05-20-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:

there is no APC influence.

you just have nothing else to compare it to so you use APC as a guideline for this new material.

what little billy howerdel does in his own free time is of no consequence to the members of Tool. maynard is just the voice he doesnt bring any influences from APC to Tool. any changes in the sound are a result of the indivudual members collective inspirations; regardless of where those are derived from... the music is still Tool.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #30

Quote:

there is no APC influence.

you just have nothing else to compare it to so you use APC as a guideline for this new material.

what little billy howerdel does in his own free time is of no consequence to the members of Tool. maynard is just the voice he doesnt bring any influences from APC to Tool. any changes in the sound are a result of the indivudual members collective inspirations; regardless of where those are derived from... the music is still Tool.
05-20-2006, 09:32 PM

You are entirely deaf if you can't hear the similarities between Maynard's pussified vocals from APC on 10,000 Days.

Completely. Fucking. Deaf.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #31
On Probation

You are entirely deaf if you can't hear the similarities between Maynard's pussified vocals from APC on 10,000 Days.

Completely. Fucking. Deaf.
Crisispoint
05-20-2006, 09:40 PM

I listen to it everyday at least twice. That's what i am into right now.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #32
Level 4 - Thinker

I listen to it everyday at least twice. That's what i am into right now.
Sol Invictus's Avatar Sol Invictus
05-20-2006, 09:49 PM

Old 05-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66

05-20-2006, 09:56 PM

I have my days, sometimes I'll listen to it like 3 times, other times I won't listen to it at all.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:56 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

I have my days, sometimes I'll listen to it like 3 times, other times I won't listen to it at all.
apathetic goat's Avatar apathetic goat
05-20-2006, 10:03 PM

I'd still be listening immense amounts if I hadn't become aware of the terrible production.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:03 PM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'd still be listening immense amounts if I hadn't become aware of the terrible production.
jim39n's Avatar jim39n
05-20-2006, 10:04 PM

10.000 days is not my favorite tool album. however, i still love it and it's been getting heavy rotation ever since i downloaded the leak (buying it next paycheck, i know i know, i'm a loser, but i spent all my money road tripping from alabama to coachella)

b.t.w at coachella, when maynard was talking about the new album coming out, i yelled out "we have it already" and he said "i know you fuckers downloaded it already" probly a coincidence...but it was funny anyway, and cool to feel like he was talkin to me.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 707

10.000 days is not my favorite tool album. however, i still love it and it's been getting heavy rotation ever since i downloaded the leak (buying it next paycheck, i know i know, i'm a loser, but i spent all my money road tripping from alabama to coachella)

b.t.w at coachella, when maynard was talking about the new album coming out, i yelled out "we have it already" and he said "i know you fuckers downloaded it already" probly a coincidence...but it was funny anyway, and cool to feel like he was talkin to me.
05-20-2006, 10:19 PM

1-3, which is about as much as any other album. i still prefer lateralus over it.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:19 PM   #37
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

1-3, which is about as much as any other album. i still prefer lateralus over it.
05-20-2006, 11:11 PM

i listen to it constantly with a small break for some Alice in Chains, and maybe some Lateralus, but fot almost evry time i hop in my truck i listen to 10,000dAYS. a masterpiece! straight the fuck up.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #38
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i listen to it constantly with a small break for some Alice in Chains, and maybe some Lateralus, but fot almost evry time i hop in my truck i listen to 10,000dAYS. a masterpiece! straight the fuck up.
Tunguska
05-20-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:

4 times???
You have no idea what your talking about.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:57 PM   #39

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

4 times???
You have no idea what your talking about.
Deliverance
05-21-2006, 12:39 AM

obsessed. like I was with all the albums prior to 10,000 days. Great band
Old 05-21-2006, 12:39 AM   #40
Level 2 - Poster

obsessed. like I was with all the albums prior to 10,000 days. Great band

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply