opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-29-2006, 02:57 PM   #81
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 2006/09/28 - Camden, NJ - Tweeter Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyblack View Post
This is the 12th Tool show I attended. Maybe it's just that I have seen them too much but last night's show was non-event. With all the drunk jag-offs and the pooring rain aside, and don't get me wrong, Tool is hands down my favotire band and will remain so I think forever and they are the only band today that manages to pull off that success- without-sellout but...

the set list is boring...nothing from Opiate or Undertow. In the past they had interesting sets and always changed the way the songs where played a bit. They used to through in a cover here and there. Just seems this tour they are not as daring just straight forward with all the singles in play. First time I heard "Wings" and "10,000 days" which was amazing and "Rosetta" may be the best song ever written, ever.

I don't know I will try to avoid being disenchanted.

The lighting near the end reminded me of some strange Vegas Cabaret act.
I agree on the setlist. They could do something to switch it up. On the Lateralus tour, they would at least switch between "Forty-six & 2" and "H.," or "Opiate" and "Third Eye." There could be places throughout the set for audibles, if Brokeback Maynard would take off the cowboy hat and get Heath Ledger's tongue out of his ear.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #82
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post
Wow, really an amazing show. This was only my 2nd Tool show, so I suppose I'm a newbie but I enjoyed it every bit. I had a great seat (thanks to Styx) and a clear view of the band.

My first comment would be how incredibly clear and, well, amazing Maynard's vocals sounded. I was blown away considering the amphitheatre venue. I also found Maynard animated just enough...sort of similar to the animated characters in the early Tool videos. His gesticulations (if that's not too crude of a word) were sometimes creepy as were his intense stares (he was staring at me, I believe!), but when he grooved, for instance during the Pot, he really got into the songs. Styx pointed out to me the surprising flexibility of his spine.

Maynard also looked cool, which I have to admit, I admire. He had a wicked mohawk thing going and he also pulled off a cowboy hat, which matched his cavalier attitude during many of the songs (there was something of a sarcastic rodeo theme, I believe, ha). Also, cool-ass jacket. I don't quite recall what was on it...three initials....

Since there wasn't a low during the show for me, it's hard to pick out a high. The three songs after the on-stage break were nothing short of spectacular, but I was pleasantly surprised by Rosetta Stoned. Maynard had a sinister-looking megaphone device strapped to him and sounded very good.

Justin's bass really stood out, which again was something of a surprise due to the venue. Adam's guitars were loud and had great presence. I was impressed by how full sounding Tool is live considering they play heavy music but w/ only one guitarist. The drums were sensational. I like that Danny is so mega-talented but his rhythms always fit the song and are not complex just to be complex.

My only regret is that I probably won't see them for another four or so years.

Oh, I almost forgot to add that I dug their hand-wiggly handshake thing at the end of the show. Maynard went around and wiggled his digits just above each band member's. It was an auspicious token of their camaraderie.
Well hello SirGrotius, aka dave:)
Yes, I noticed those 3 letters as well. Could of sworn it said ATF, but I was pretty far back so I'm not sure. Can anybody here clue us in?

11/23/96 - tool @ the electric factory - philadelphia, PA
07/11/98 - tool @ the tweeter center - camden, NJ (ozzfest)
05/20/01 - tool @ the hammerstein ballroom - new york city
09/27/01 - tool @ the first union center - philadelphia, PA
08/12/02 - tool @ the sovereign bank arena - trenton, NJ
10/29/02 - tool @ the first union spectrum - philadelphia, PA
05/17/06 - tool @ the tower theater - philadelphia, Pa
09/28/06 - tool @ the tweeter center - camden, NJ
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #83
Level 4 - Thinker

I went with my 10 year old son, and he loved it. It was his first concert. But he was dissapointed that they didn't play Sober or Opiate. We're going to the Wilkesburg one on Monday, so I hope they will play one of them. It was great though. My Son-In-Law got kicked out for taking a picture of Tool. He was really pissed. So were going again Monday. My son really liked the art work. The idiots in the bathroom annoyed me though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #84
Level 1 - Lurker

LOST KEYS / ROSETTA STONED: Fucking great!!!!! Visuals were the best part!!!
Video of some guy (Dave?) wandering down a desert road.... morphing into an alien... Alien schematic diagrams... visions of UFO's building the pyrimads....
Lights... Smoke... INSANE!!!!

Does anyone ever tell you that you make it insanely obvious that you didn't buy the album ? The initial internet leak has the "fairly common among True TOOL fans" mistake on it , and Frankly, I'm soooo sick of hearing some of you lesser minds refer to the above song as LOST KEYS/ROSETTA STONED. 2 things...First, The sons about the alien abduction,' Dave floating away', 'somniferious-almond-eyes',etc, is intension...NOT ROSETTA STONED. Jesus, people...Buy the freakin' Album !! Secondly, The fact that Maynard CLEARLY says : Here we have a stone" Should make this obvious that the song is called that. My friend got a hold of one of these flawed copies of 10,000 Days like 2 days before the release, and I knew it was a piece of sh*t. Please, if you care at all about TOOL, or at least don't want to look like an ..well, GO BUY THE REAL ALBUM !! What is it, $10 ? That's what I paid. Best $10 I ever spent. Gotta hand it to the TOOL people for releasing that thing,though. Makes for a great people filter to show the rest of us who is a true fan and who isn't.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #85
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate Addict View Post
LOST KEYS / ROSETTA STONED: Fucking great!!!!! Visuals were the best part!!!
Video of some guy (Dave?) wandering down a desert road.... morphing into an alien... Alien schematic diagrams... visions of UFO's building the pyrimads....
Lights... Smoke... INSANE!!!!

Does anyone ever tell you that you make it insanely obvious that you didn't buy the album ? The initial internet leak has the "fairly common among True TOOL fans" mistake on it , and Frankly, I'm soooo sick of hearing some of you lesser minds refer to the above song as LOST KEYS/ROSETTA STONED. 2 things...First, The sons about the alien abduction,' Dave floating away', 'somniferious-almond-eyes',etc, is intension...NOT ROSETTA STONED. Jesus, people...Buy the freakin' Album !! Secondly, The fact that Maynard CLEARLY says : Here we have a stone" Should make this obvious that the song is called that. My friend got a hold of one of these flawed copies of 10,000 Days like 2 days before the release, and I knew it was a piece of sh*t. Please, if you care at all about TOOL, or at least don't want to look like an ..well, GO BUY THE REAL ALBUM !! What is it, $10 ? That's what I paid. Best $10 I ever spent. Gotta hand it to the TOOL people for releasing that thing,though. Makes for a great people filter to show the rest of us who is a true fan and who isn't.
Ummm.... yeah it is Rosetta Stoned, you know number 8. But at least you're right about it being the best 10 bucks ever spent.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #86
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate Addict View Post
Frankly, I'm soooo sick of hearing some of you lesser minds refer to the above song as LOST KEYS/ROSETTA STONED. 2 things...First, The sons about the alien abduction,' Dave floating away', 'somniferious-almond-eyes',etc, is intension...NOT ROSETTA STONED.

<snip>

Makes for a great people filter to show the rest of us who is a true fan and who isn't.
"Lesser minds"? "True fan"? You're a perfect example of why so many Tool fans are scorned.

In addition -- Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman) is the instrumental introduction, with doctor/nurse dialogue, to Rosetta Stoned. Everything from "Ten to two A.M..." through "Don't know / won't know / God damn / Shit the bed" is Rosetta Stoned. Intension is an entirely different track on the album. If your album labels it any other way, your album is defective.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #87
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
Yes, I noticed those 3 letters as well. Could of sworn it said ATF, but I was pretty far back so I'm not sure. Can anybody here clue us in?
My first (and last) Tool show in the pit - and not just the pit - I'm on the rail, literally 10-12 feet from Adam. G-Zus fuckin' christ the dude's a precision player! Almost mechanically precise, and I think he uses the tightest possible strings or something 'cause I couldn't even see them vibrating, and from that distance I expected to see some kind of movement.
Anyway - Yep, Maynard's jacket had ATF printed on the back, with a red-circle cross-out (like a no-smoking sign) in the center of the T. So, presumably it means "No ATF" - but my eyes are pretty bad, so I may be mistaken about the circle part. But the ATF letters i'm 100% on.
With regards to the show itself, my ears are still ringing, and, judging by the amount of positive postings about the sound, I'm sure it's just 'cause i was too close, but I wasn't very impressed with the overall sound quality, mixing, etc. I'm slated for 3 shows next week (Hartford, PNC center, & Nassau Coliseum), all of I have seats for so I'll probably get a better sound mix there. I couldn't really hear Maynard during songs, and couldn't understand him during comments. Again, I'm pretty sure it's just positioning, I look forward to my upcoming shows to get the mix the way it's intended, not just sound blasting at me.
It's definitely a different vibe with the light-colored stage (versus the old black backdrop, etc), and it's refreshing. You get a more positive feeling and they seem more human like that as opposed to the figures in the shadows with dark stage settings.
Really, the main thing i learned at this show is that Adam is a fucking badass, tight, precise, clean, no-nonsense player. Basically, it boils down to the same shit that everyone knows already: when you ARE it, you don't have to flaunt it. And Adam has absolutely no need to thrash and be all flamboyant, Adam is IT.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:33 PM   #88
Level 4 - Thinker

Good job of pissing in the sinks, in the corners, right on the wall, and even in the trash after the show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 05:09 PM   #89
Level 1 - Lurker

Lucky dog!!!
I lost my tickets on campus three hours before the show, and someone turned them in to the university police. So thank you whoever you are for turning them in i feel so lucky also, I wouldn't have seen Maynard's SEXY MOVES.
A huge FUCK YOU goes out to the guy who grabbed my breasts without my permission, and another one to the dull people in section 203, you guys did nothing, not even clap. Why the fuck are you at the concert then, you could have saved these tickets for some fan who could enjoy the show better than you have.
Awesome list of songs, loved Vicarious the most, but once again Almighty Maynard's moves and voice tops everything in my opinion.

Love Tool forever.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #90
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuphat View Post
Another highlight, this was my 9 yr old daughter's first TOOL show. She was in awe and can't wait for Nassau Coliseum.
Thats really cool bro.

Hopefully one day i will take my daughter to see a TooL show. She is still a baby, but every now and then TOOL music gets her to bed.

Have fun at Nassau.

- P -

Last edited by mindlattice; 09-29-2006 at 05:38 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #91
Level 4 - Thinker

3rd tool show. took the 2 hour ride there, definetly was worth the trip. Highlight for me was Lateralus. Maybe its just me, but people seemed to give them the biggest applause after that song. friggin classic. I'm seeing them again at the meadowlands in a week, hopefully they add right in two or something different. I was telling this guy behind me that i wanted to hear the grudge or pushit, or something different. He said he wanted to hear maynards dick. yes......that would be cool, altho not gonna happen. keep on kicking ass maynard!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #92
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 751

i stood dead center right up against the rail in the lawn and it was a really good view. id like to be a little closer but it was still a good spot. except for the one fucking asshole that thought moshing to every single fucking song was what made life worth living it would have been one of the best experiences of my life. i wanted to hit that guy right in the face because he was the only one doing it. i met a group of people that were standing right next to me who drove up to camden from fucking talahassee, they were cool enough to buy me a beer too. one of them took acid halfway through isis' set and it was pretty funny watching him go crazy when Tool came on.

Isis was great, the drums sounded spectacular from where i was, and it didnt change with Tool. danny's little drum solo in the extended version if stinkfist was amazing. the setlist was good, but seeing the same songs again kinda made it bland, but still worth the money. lateralus was the best song of the set imo. probably because maynard could actually sing it this time. the rain made the lawn experience better i think. especially since it started raining at almost the exact same time tool came on stage. i definitely hope i can lock up that ticket to see them in East Rutherford. but i really cant wait to see them with a different set list on the next leg of the tour.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 04:03 AM   #93
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativenrg View Post
Anyway - Yep, Maynard's jacket had ATF printed on the back, with a red-circle cross-out (like a no-smoking sign) in the center of the T. So, presumably it means "No ATF" - but my eyes are pretty bad, so I may be mistaken about the circle part. But the ATF letters i'm 100% on.
maynard's jacket was an authentic ATF standard issue jacket.didn't see the red circle on it,though.if it was there,it probably meant "no tobacco".i think i was right behind you. :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 07:24 AM   #94
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodworm808 View Post
maynard's jacket was an authentic ATF standard issue jacket.didn't see the red circle on it,though.if it was there,it probably meant "no tobacco".i think i was right behind you. :)
Sweet--that was the jacket! Very cool and appropriate. I noticed some comments about disdain for the "special effects," i.e., the lasers, lights, smoke, etc. I really enjoyed the effects and thought they fit well w/ the other visuals. I consider Tool's live show a great example of performative art, which enchances the whole concert experience. I can understand how one might consider that going over the top, but IMO, it improved the show not detracted from it.

Last edited by SirGrotius; 09-30-2006 at 07:27 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 09:47 AM   #95
Level 1 - Lurker

my 3rd Tool show and I thought they were amazing (as usual!) The rain didn't bother me one bit! but I agree with so many others who were in the lawn area..the moshers really sucked! I've seen Isis several times (in small clubs) and they were also really good. It was nice to hear them with some good sound.
I met a really great guy who was standing up against the railing a little off to the side (right) and we talked before Tool came on for a while and then I got dragged away! really wish I had stayed with him because the view was so much better there ( both of the stage and of him) His name is Matt..sorry I couldn't get back to that spot. The show would have been so much better!
Can't wait until the next time!!!....also have to say to all who hate the Tweeter Center, it is a great place to see a show from the lawn. The sound is much better out there and usually the people as well!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #96
Level 1 - Lurker

I dont know how tool was fuckin 10 years ago becasue i was not around then to see them, but ive been waiting my ass off for these guys to come back on tour, and i was in heaven for the whole fuckin concert. I loved this show above all other shows i ever saw. Maynard is fuckin nuts and i love him. His screams are insane, and the way he moves around the stage is so fuckin unique and that makes him awesome. I really wish they would have played RIGHT IN TWO cuz thats my favorite song on that album, but its ok. 10000 days was a good add also, it got the whole crowd going. Aenema was loud as shit, and amazing. I liked every song, i thought the vocals were right on key, danny carey is the best fuckin drummer ever, and everyone played so well together. the hug at the end was kick ass too. I went to APC tour just so i could see maynard, and he was funny there, but he kept in the shadows. I love him when ehs out in the open moving with the music. Next time they come around im getting like 6 shows around my area. i will save up money to watch them again. No music is like tool, and tahts waht i love. Cant fuckin wait for them again!!!!!! o ya...when the rain came at the end of 10000 days again, that was awesome. The rain didnt bother me one bit, it only added to the pleasure i was having. Also Alex Grays artwork is insane, and the clay animations on the screens were buggin me out hahaha

Last edited by Jtothejawill; 09-30-2006 at 10:55 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #97
Level 3 - Talker

Alrighty...I'll try and be brief.

-preleminary background info.-
kay 1st off I live in Glen Burnie, MD. It's about 20min. from Baltimore.
Tool has warped my already fucked up perception of time, which I think is an illusion anyway...if not God's best joke. Ha-Ha on us.
-THE RUNDOWN-
(indulge me if you will, this all has a point, I promise)
Thursday(9/28) I went to bed at about 3:30AM,
woke up around 5:45AM, left the house for work...blared Tool the whole way, as per usual.
I got off work at about 3:30PM,
Left for NJ about 5:15PM,
Got to Tweeter at about 8:40, 8:45(I'm from MD, what do you expect? - I got lost).
I guess I missed whoever was opening. Isis or Meshuggah or whoever it was.
Left for NJ at about 12amish or so...I don't drive well in the rain cause I'm a new driver.
Got back home around 2:30AM(Fri.8/29/06)...
Got to bed at about 3:30 AM(YAY! the 24HR mark). Woke up to go to work at about 5:45ish or so.
Got off work at 3:30PM
Came home to write this little review thing(saved it to wordpad). Posted it today after I finally fucking went to sleep.
The point of that all is this.... I was fueled by that perfomance at Tweeter, before I went...during the show and afterwards.
After the concert...I actually played some Tool on the way back home...which is usually unheard of from me. After a show when people are leaving, I'm usually kind of sickened by the fact that people play more of the same band. It's like "geez...overkill"

-our little tribe-
Yes Maynard, it was raining.
My friends and I, started out in the rain with the rest of the pigs on the lawn. We were smoking cigarettes and such*
My friends and I sludged our way past some interesting people...some annoying people(none of which took away from me enjoying the show)..about halfway thru "The Pot" and made our way into the pit cause we had GA PIT TICKETS. Throughout the night a few "wetbacks" would infect the dry pit people. The metaphors hurt my head.
-THE SOUND-
From afar, Tool sound great, but up close...healing waves of energy are slammed into our minds. The grinding rhythms. I think I just realized the importance of some of these time signatures, not really knowing all the hand-written schematics of it all. It's a cleverly crafted plan of mathematics. It takes great communication and years of practice. Simplicity, but at the same time, complexities. Harmonies feeding off one another. Tool is the only band where I think every instrument, every band member is equally important. They are all on the same level. Some shine brighter in different songs...alot of the time, you'll get an awesome song that has everyone shining. I found myself focusing on different members at different times. On stage, I'm pretty sure that's why they space themselves about the same distance apart from each other.
I love Adams extended guitar on "Stinkfist", it gives the song much more persona. Maynard on "10,000 Days" was pure bliss. Justin playing "46&2" really stuck in my head, more than usual. Danny on "Jambi", "Rosetta Stoned" and pretty much everything. Him and Justin, I think is what gives Tool it's center. Maynard and Adam put it over the top...but like I said earlier, they all shine. Whatever the hell they amped up on "Schism" sounds awesome and fast as shit.
From what I believe to be true, the beginning of Schism during the Lateralus tour was sang in a higher octave than the recorded song. (Lateralus overall seems to have some of Maynards best high-octave singing - IE: Parabola, Reflection, etc.)
During tonights performance it was in the traditon lower key, but it seemed to resonate some sort of somber, eeiry monkish sound to me. (10,000 Days showcases some of Maynards Best lower-toned, somber vocals IE: Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days) Few and far between were there any "mistakes"...but there were some, but I couldn't tell you for sure where. I enjoy hearing little flubb-ups myself. Thank you YouTube! It lets me know that they're human. My theory that Tool are androids from Saturn has been denounced...well I'm still not sure about Danny.
-THE VISUALS-
In keeping w/the general theme of the album, which for me, is about witnessing/experiencing things from other peoples perspective, the light show reflects this. I'm sure people in the pit did not have the same visual show as people on the lawn. I truly believe that dead center, is the place to be at a Tool concert. I'm easily amused cause I'm a silly bitch. I thought the lazers were pretty and I appreciated them. I don't find lazers lame by any means, although I don't feel the need to talk constantly during one of the most tender, spiritual songs(10,000 Days) of the night to describe their prettyness. I liked the "Tool Doctors" in their little white labcoats.
-THE SMELL-
- pot - the reason your ass gets grabbed. The reason people slowly bump into you and say "Sorry,man" and then eyefuck you and then turnaway and then do a doubletake and become paranoid. the reason you appreciate things better.
- alcohol - the reason your ass gets grabbed. the reason why you have to plug your fingers w/your ears because of the screaming neanderthal mongoloid playing airbass saying 'yyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh Justin!!, Play that fucking bass...fuck yeah....! America! fuck yeah!", not that there's anything wrong w/that.
Since I'm from MD, I noticed that particular parts of NJ smell like poo....and when it rains, it just magnifies that smell. But I guess you become immune to that. I know I'm not the 1st person to pick on NJ. Parts of Baltimore are equally, if not more shitty smelling.
still this didn't affect the concert. I seemed to be smelling peaches for some reason.
-THE TOUCH-
The pit was people bumbling around, restraining themselves from attacking each other or "bumping uglies" w/someone regardless of age, race or gender. Sometimes people kept that shit in check, othertimes not so much.
-THE TASTE-
I wasn't too big on tasting people...but in retrospect, I might've enjoyed the show, had I tasted more people. The rain combined w/sweat tasted salty.
-THE 6th SENSE-
um...I don't remember seeing dead people, but there were a few zombies in the pit!
In conclusion, best show ever in my life!......so far. I think it will be for awhile.

I'll be at Verizon Center in D.C. (Sat. 9/30/06) as well. Section 112 somewhere.
i'm never brief am I?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #98
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
Well hello SirGrotius, aka dave:)
Yes, it was ATF on his jacket which stands for Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms!! Anyone know what jersey Danny was wearing, i was in 204 but his cymbal was blocking my view of him most of the time.

9/28/06 Camden
10/06/06 East Rutherford
7/18/07 Holmdel
2/01/12 East Rutherford
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #99
Level 3 - Talker

i love tool is for me. i love tool wa hoo yippi. i love tool, they played jambi. i love tool maynard did pee. i love tool he peed in me. i love tool wa hoo yippi.

it was definetley the best show i have ever seen. the white set, lazers, adam, justin maynard, and danny. the fifth member who perfectly times the videos, the sixth member who perfectly times the lights to D C's off tempo drumming. and the crazy dude in the lab coat who is adams g-tar tech? whats a sqaugs? jons a ***.
-10,000 days live will change your life. and anyone who saw the show from the lawn in the rain is awesome.

i love tool is for me. i love tool wa hoo yippi. i love tool, they played jambi. i love tool maynard did pee. i love tool he peed in me. i love tool wa hoo yippi.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #100
Level 4 - Thinker

When Maynard started the show he pulled out a bill of some sort, not sure if it was a 1, 5, 10, 20, etc but he called Adam over to his platform and handed him the bill. Adam seemed confused and just pocketed it. Anyone have any idea what that was about? Seemed like he was paying off a bet?

Maynard was also making gestures over to the side of the stage on Adam's side throughout the show, looked like he was asking them to adjust monitor or mic levels?

The show was incredible. I was in the pit, dead center. When the show started a couple total knuckleheads started jumping up and down, doing just plain stupid shit but luckily it didn;t keep up the entire show.

All songs were awesome. I have seen this setlist now 8 times this year (give or take 2-3 songs like Sober, Right in Two, The Patient) and I love it. All of the songs are done to near perfection. The new songs are especially powerul live.

During Wings pt 1 & pt 2 adam was wiping his eyes and nose as if he was crying.

The lazers looked awesome when view from the dead center. Much cooler than viewing them from the sides as I did at other shows.

I thought the sound mix was great, the guitar could have been a little louder during The Pot when it comes in.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #101

Show was awesome....my 10th show. Much better then the Pittsburgh show IMO.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #102
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grood View Post
last night it was like the hand of Odd reached into my brain and pulled out any semblance of control and just threw the rest of my mind into overdrive.
damn right. i thought my head had exploded, or that i'd suddenly come up from under water into a musical conflagration and my ears opened both at once. jeez, i'm glad it wasn't just in my head but it was real and i can hear it again should a good tape turn up.

i'm afraid it will have to be shoo-fly pie. i can at least throw some whipped cream on there, tho, ole Groody-one.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 02:49 PM   #103
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post
Sweet--that was the jacket! Very cool and appropriate. I noticed some comments about disdain for the "special effects," i.e., the lasers, lights, smoke, etc. I really enjoyed the effects and thought they fit well w/ the other visuals. I consider Tool's live show a great example of performative art, which enchances the whole concert experience. I can understand how one might consider that going over the top, but IMO, it improved the show not detracted from it.
Disdain is a pretty harsh term, I'll stick with "different". I surely didn't expect the white stage. Basically what it does is make them human, as opposed to spectres in the shadows, and I just wasn't expecting, let alone prepared, for that. Apparently that's a running theme with this latest album, they're more comfortable with presenting themselves to the world, hence the first album with their actual pictures, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't dissapointed by the show in any which way, but sadly, I can't help but compare to the Lateralus tour, which was life-changing for me. In fact, it was during the Continental Arena in NJ for the Lat tour that I realized that these shows (along with NIN shows) are my church - kinda like how you see those people on televangelist shows crying and connecting with ...whatever they connect with... that's me at these shows - and this was no exception.
I do realize the lights and stage effects are best appreciated from a distance, so next week I'll get the full effect of what's going on with them. Hehe, 3 times in a row for Hartford, Continental (back to church), then Nassau.

Oh, another thing, I'd kill to have Adam's setup (i know, i know, sounds like i'm in love with him..can you blame me?). I loved it when his tech comes out to test the sound and what not, and he just plucks or strums or touches a fuckin' string or two..and this massive sound appears completely out of proportion to the action.
It's Godlike, to move sonic mountains with the lightest touch...
Old 09-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #104
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
When Maynard started the show he pulled out a bill of some sort, not sure if it was a 1, 5, 10, 20, etc but he called Adam over to his platform and handed him the bill. Adam seemed confused and just pocketed it. Anyone have any idea what that was about? Seemed like he was paying off a bet?
My theory:

During the intro to "the pot" everyone during the whole tour sang along.....
but in Camden, no one did... they just waited for maynard to sing it......
Maynard then walked over and paid off the bet. who knows....
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 06:25 PM   #105
Level 1 - Lurker

im the guy whos grandmother died the day before the concert. luckily i got to the show after the viewing, i still felt a little guilty going and enjoying myself but i think thats what she wouldve wanted, plus i really needed the release to help get my feelings out. wings/10000 days was it for me. except for the fucking assholes that decided to fucking talk during the goddamn first half of the song. of course everyone gets quiet once the guitar gets heavy for the second half. these fucking assholes dont want to hear the first part of one of the most meaningful songs that tool has ever made. maybe im over reacting but at that moment i felt what maynard felt when he wrote that and probably feels everytime he sings it. other than that i wouldve payed the money just to see lateralus. fucking amazing. i can die happy.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #106
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtothejawill View Post
I dont know how tool was fuckin 10 years ago becasue i was not around then to see them, but ive been waiting my ass off for these guys to come back on tour, and i was in heaven for the whole fuckin concert. I loved this show above all other shows i ever saw. Maynard is fuckin nuts and i love him. His screams are insane, and the way he moves around the stage is so fuckin unique and that makes him awesome. I really wish they would have played RIGHT IN TWO cuz thats my favorite song on that album, but its ok. 10000 days was a good add also, it got the whole crowd going.
I do agree with you , RIGHT IN TWO would have been cool to watch live. I think the way Maynard moves around the stage is just amazing, i don't know why i can't forget his moves. Do you think a video of Maynard's moves at the concert will come out soon if someone has recorded the event??? GOD I HOPE SO...
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 02:26 AM   #107
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishani View Post
I do agree with you , RIGHT IN TWO would have been cool to watch live. I think the way Maynard moves around the stage is just amazing, i don't know why i can't forget his moves. Do you think a video of Maynard's moves at the concert will come out soon if someone has recorded the event??? GOD I HOPE SO...
I've seen a few shows this tour and for certain parts during certain songs he definately moves the same way. That weird anti-arch of the back when "The Pot" starts to kick in, That weird head bobble move, during one of the songs, The slamming of the foot on the ground. This makes me wonder if he actually choreographs his bizarre contorsions for everything or just during certain parts and goes on auto-pilot for the rest as he feels. Whatever the case, it's intense and beyond entertaining. It's a form of expression and connection I'm not that familar with.
I think in time, even Tool will release a live DVD. Perhaps their No Camera / No Audio/Video Recorders Policy is just their way of saying, "hey fuckers, save your money and buy the DVD instead" I nut myself everytime when I even think about a double-live DVD set 1 disc - Lateralus Tour, 1 disc - 10,000 Days Tour. I can dream, dammit! I'd buy it. Hell I've bought Lateralus like 7 times....i keep losing it. My room is full of lost Laterali, floating within the epicenter...one day I'll clean it. sorry gotta little of f topic there. maybe if we all dream together...it'll come to pass. got a little lord-of-the-ringy there, oh well.

Last edited by yourealizethis; 10-01-2006 at 02:35 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 07:09 AM   #108
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourealizethis View Post
I think in time, even Tool will release a live DVD. Perhaps their No Camera / No Audio/Video Recorders Policy is just their way of saying, "hey fuckers, save your money and buy the DVD instead" I nut myself everytime when I even think about a double-live DVD set 1 disc - Lateralus Tour, 1 disc - 10,000 Days Tour. I can dream, dammit! I'd buy it. Hell I've bought Lateralus like 7 times....i keep losing it. My room is full of lost Laterali, floating within the epicenter...one day I'll clean it. sorry gotta little of f topic there. maybe if we all dream together...it'll come to pass. got a little lord-of-the-ringy there, oh well.

WoW imagine if they release a live DVD of $10,000 days, i would buy it even if it costs $10,000. (gotta start saving now). I'll keep dreaming with you. I never thought i would see Tool in a concert, six years ago i could only dream about it. I only saw the concert atmosphere on T.V because back then i was in my country that has been in war for as long as i can remember. But hey, now i'm in the U.S and living my dream. Believe me if that came true, i think it is only realistic to wait for their DVD release..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 07:12 AM   #109
Level 2 - Poster

Camden for me always sucks so I was jaded entering the venue but when I got to my seats I was happier and everyone around me was so excited it was a good view in 102.

The show came on stinkfist was good, the pot was going well then someone threw a half full cup of beer on stage at justin. WTF.
Maynerd walked off his podium during (the first time I've seen that in like 20 tries) the song, picked up the cup and kinda lifted it like 'your an asshole' ....'liar lawyer mirror...."

we all remember the phoenix mishap. people are just begging for a death. wish

LKRS brought the pot out and up up and away we went

10000 days was so so so so so there the clouds so what I imagined lifetimes ago and it just hit home.

Tool made Camden a digestible experience, although I hope they never play there, never want to see that place again.

good 1st show of this tour..Mansfield was also 'wicked'..sykedout about this week (minus NH)
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #110
Level 1 - Lurker

So... We almost didn't get to the show in time. I would have been livid. But, we arrived 10 minutes before Tool began to play. It started pouring 5 minutes before that. Anyone notice how it only rained for like 15 minutes, stopped, and the started up again like 10 seconds before "Daylight dims..." at the end of 10,000 Days? It was really eerie. The rain actually highlighted the show on the lawn, I thought.

Any timing issues that the band had with respect to vocals in Rosetta Stoned have been completely sorted out. The sound was phenomenal. The new visualizations are phenomenal. Maynard was doing Rockette kicks during the solo in Jambi. He's fuckin' nuts. He didn't speak much. All I remember is twoards the beginning he said, "Is it raining out there yet? Yeah, we heard it was gonna rain. Well, let's do this. Just turn those frowns upside-down. Imagine we're having deviant sex and I'm peeing in your mouth."

After following these posts for some time I knew exactly what songs I would likely hear, and in which order. I was kind of frustrated every time I would log on and see that they played the same setlist the night before, not understanding why they weren't switching it up. After seeing it I know. I couldn't have done without a single song they played. The extended Stinkfist, though I heard it before on the Lateralus Tour in '02, functions extremely well as an opening track. It was fucking amazing. And that new version of Schism is absolutely unbelievable.

I can't stress enough how great the sound was on the lawn. The crowd was good too. Minimal moshing, but not until Lateralus, and they weren't bad or dragging in innocent bystanders. I'm in the third row on Friday at Continental. I hope that they sound as good and balanced from there, but I doubt they will. Camden was great. Love the Philly skyline to the left also, really cool venue.

http://www.myspace.com/uhwithuhteethuh
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 10:41 AM   #111
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhoffinhan View Post
i wore a devils shirt and got alot of shit for that.......what a bunch of fukin dikheads, a guy wearing a tool shirt to a tool show, da...what a nimrod....later
Ummmm, I wore my Tool shirt. WTF

http://www.myspace.com/uhwithuhteethuh
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #112
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings For KG View Post
I wore my Tool shirt.
Why? Just trying to understand this practice.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #113
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
Why? Just trying to understand this practice.

How about if someone wore CADUCEUS T-Shirt to Tool concert, would you think the same? :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #114
Level 4 - Thinker

here we go..this is the jacket that maynard wore to the concert in Camden...click on the image once ur on the page and it will show you a view of the back...

https://store.caduceus.org/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=45

the page is from maynard's winery caduceus..i tell you the internet is a lovely thing, i wasn't even trying to find it, i just went to the website to see what wines they have and then went on to the store and came across the jacket and decided to share the image with all of you since a lot of people (including myself) were wondering what his jacket said....
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #115
Level 4 - Thinker

Maynard undoubtedly has been practicing advanced yoga.

OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 07:13 PM   #116
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyShadow683 View Post
here we go..this is the jacket that maynard wore to the concert in Camden...click on the image once ur on the page and it will show you a view of the back...

https://store.caduceus.org/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=45

the page is from maynard's winery caduceus..i tell you the internet is a lovely thing, i wasn't even trying to find it, i just went to the website to see what wines they have and then went on to the store and came across the jacket and decided to share the image with all of you since a lot of people (including myself) were wondering what his jacket said....
Nice job MyShadow! And just a bit more money than the cheapest shirts sold at the venues. Notice that only the T is crossed out.......

OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #117
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhoffinhan View Post
i wore a devils shirt and got alot of shit for that.......what a bunch of fukin dikheads, a guy wearing a tool shirt to a tool show, da...what a nimrod....later
Yeah dude, ya wear a Devil's shirt to a show in the Philly area, you should expect to get plenty of shit. You may as well have put on a Klan outfit and walked about 8 blocks West of where we were. They don't like that.

Anyway, this show was the tightest and most polished of the four times I've seen Tool. I think it's funny to see people complain about the show:

Adam was too still (He has the cleanest guitar sound of anyone, people! He needs to be still to accomplish that sound)
It wasn't "intimate enough" (In my mind it was me and the band, nothing else mattered)
The setlist sucked (you gotta be kidding me)
People were wearing Tool shirts (GOD FORBID!)
The drums were too loud (Drums are supposed to be loud. Especially if Danny Carey is the man playing them)
Maynard is too loud (Right, because noone is there to see Maynard)

This was an incredible and unbelieveable show. Love it for what it was. For me it was probably the best concert experience I have ever seen. I can't imagine waking up the next morning and thinking "gee it was a good show, but all those people wearing Tool t-shirt ruined it for me."

I thank God I have never been "that guy."
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 04:02 AM   #118
Level 2 - Poster

All the people wearing Tool shirts definetely didn't ruin it for me at least, just made me laugh.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:38 AM   #119
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by palisa View Post
my 3rd Tool show and I thought they were amazing (as usual!) The rain didn't bother me one bit! but I agree with so many others who were in the lawn area..the moshers really sucked! I've seen Isis several times (in small clubs) and they were also really good. It was nice to hear them with some good sound.
I met a really great guy who was standing up against the railing a little off to the side (right) and we talked before Tool came on for a while and then I got dragged away! really wish I had stayed with him because the view was so much better there ( both of the stage and of him) His name is Matt..sorry I couldn't get back to that spot. The show would have been so much better!
Can't wait until the next time!!!....also have to say to all who hate the Tweeter Center, it is a great place to see a show from the lawn. The sound is much better out there and usually the people as well!
just want to add one more selfish thing here..if anyone out there knows who Matt is..he was in the lawn area to the right of the stage right up against the railing (near the pilar)with two or maybe three other guys..brown hair and long sleved shirt (light colored) would you tell him that Lisa would really like to "continue our conversation"..Thanks
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 07:03 AM   #120
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Wez View Post
All the people wearing Tool shirts definetely didn't ruin it for me at least, just made me laugh.
Just to clarify something. I proudly wore my Tool t-shirt to the show. Was it because I wanted everyone to know that "I'm the biggest Tool fan" or wanted to be "that guy"? You gotta be kidding me...

I wore my shirt because before and after the show when I was bar-hopping around Olde City I wanted others who were going to the show/went to the show to be able to spot me out so I could discuss how amazing the show was. Kind of like what we do here on this site. Personally I prefer to talk to people first hand about my experiences than sit on a computer and do it. I had a great time talking with many other "heads" both before and after the show. Only disappointment was that I figured the bar Eulogy would be packed with heads. I mean seriously, is there a better bar to drink at before a Tool show than Eulogy?
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: