Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
FinneusPinkelheimer
07-29-2009, 01:20 PM

I'm the ogt guy from '92 the first ep. The first time I saw tool they played the masquerade, if you're familiar with that place. I thought the show was great. I'm kinda pissed at maynard as well, he didn't give me a reach around. As far as the floor section goes, I just stood away from the impacted doodoo and I was fine. I was thinking it was going to be a mixture of songs that included more undertow and opiate, but I wasn't let down.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #81
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

I'm the ogt guy from '92 the first ep. The first time I saw tool they played the masquerade, if you're familiar with that place. I thought the show was great. I'm kinda pissed at maynard as well, he didn't give me a reach around. As far as the floor section goes, I just stood away from the impacted doodoo and I was fine. I was thinking it was going to be a mixture of songs that included more undertow and opiate, but I wasn't let down.
OFFLINE |  
mondegreen
07-29-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimLoK View Post
and i'm sorry if i made it sound as though anyone who complains about moshers is arrogant. that was not my point. my point was that although there are "moshers" and other types of "bad fans", the majority of the fans i saw at this show and have seen at other shows were really into the music and not disturbing anyone (the flash photography and maynard is a different story, though). so for someone (not necessarily you) that might go lumping EVERYONE at the show into a category of being a bad crowd just because of some inconsiderate ppl they witnessed, think of all the ppl being good little boys and girls at the show (like most of the posters on this site that have been to multiple shows and travled a long way to get to some of them). sorry bundahead. no offense intended:) hope you enjoy your next show.
I guess I should have more specific, too. I was standing directly in front of Maynard, and the vast majority of problems came from my left (in front of Adam). Specifically, there was a group of guys in Tool shirts who looked like they had all come together (If you're from Georgia you know what I mean - they just had "that look"). They seemed to be the ones starting most of the problems in that area. There were some cool people there, especially the small-ish woman who thanked me for taking the brunt of the punishment from the assholes.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #82
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimLoK View Post
and i'm sorry if i made it sound as though anyone who complains about moshers is arrogant. that was not my point. my point was that although there are "moshers" and other types of "bad fans", the majority of the fans i saw at this show and have seen at other shows were really into the music and not disturbing anyone (the flash photography and maynard is a different story, though). so for someone (not necessarily you) that might go lumping EVERYONE at the show into a category of being a bad crowd just because of some inconsiderate ppl they witnessed, think of all the ppl being good little boys and girls at the show (like most of the posters on this site that have been to multiple shows and travled a long way to get to some of them). sorry bundahead. no offense intended:) hope you enjoy your next show.
I guess I should have more specific, too. I was standing directly in front of Maynard, and the vast majority of problems came from my left (in front of Adam). Specifically, there was a group of guys in Tool shirts who looked like they had all come together (If you're from Georgia you know what I mean - they just had "that look"). They seemed to be the ones starting most of the problems in that area. There were some cool people there, especially the small-ish woman who thanked me for taking the brunt of the punishment from the assholes.
OFFLINE |  
Toology55
07-29-2009, 04:48 PM

I feel bad for people on the floor, Section 107 was well behaved, a few drunks here and there but no problems except the guy next to me who kept talking about linux before the show :-)
Old 07-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #83
Level 1 - Lurker

I feel bad for people on the floor, Section 107 was well behaved, a few drunks here and there but no problems except the guy next to me who kept talking about linux before the show :-)
OFFLINE |  
Anon-Imus's Avatar Anon-Imus
07-29-2009, 09:20 PM

4th show: 2001 Roanoke Civic Center, 2006 Pittsburg (sucky ass arena), and 2007 Roanoke the sequel. My wife has missed them all, and complained every time that I never invited her/she couldn't go. She took up drums on GHWT, and was impressed by the Tool songs being the hardest. I talked her into going on the argument that she needed to see why. She said afterwards that she now knows why I think they are the best supergroup of our generation, and bumped them up to five on her top ten list. I thought that was cute.

Regardless, Maynard did not want to do this tour. I heard a radio show out of Chicago doing an interview with him. He was smack dab in the middle of his wine tour, and refused to talk about anything about Tool. The favor was called in, quote, and he had to go, like being called into duty. This tour will be lackluster for this reason on his vocals and participation. He still earned my $40 an hour for just showing up and giving me something, anything!

To add to the lyrics comments, I distinctly heard "Fret for your monkey" on Aenima. Did anyone hear that?! Then, I thought, MJK may have been commenting on LA's obession with MJ's death. Just a thought. And for Rosetta Stoned, I heard "and they fucked me up the ass" instead of "And I didn't graduate from fucking high school." These could have been auditory hallucinations, but I made a point to go stone cold sober, so someone please confirm.

And Justin was fucking on! He played like he was the lead, and in most of the songs he was! I found myself thrusting my pelvis in the same manner he was thrusting into his bass. They did a lot of playing on the ground too. I remembered from the 06/07, that the distortion parts were done with him standing. All I know is one or both of them made the loudest, highest pitched tone that I have ever heard, and held it for at least 5 or 6 minutes. That made Rosetta Stoned so much more sweeter when they released into it. Ahhh.

Lateralus is their Stairway hands down. Flood was awesome to hear. Aenima, 46 & 2, and Stinkfist would have been singles for that album, if they were as big as they are now at that time, which they are played often on the radio as they are edited well. Jambi, Vicarious, and Rosetta Stoned, outside of the Pot, are the greatest sound they have made yet. I cannot complain about the setlist, and I don't think you should go to the same show in a different city expecting different. At your job, do you do whatever you do differently and more complex every time? No, you find the easiest and fastest way to get the desired effect. Efficient setlist.

I liked the vocals volume, it helped you pick out the "maggots" (as I read before as an appropriate label) who were there to brag about going and not try to hear every sweet word coming out of MJK's mouth. In Roanoke, he actually commented on how well we were behaving in regards to the flash. I saw an interview from Aenima that he expects people to buy the ticket to experience the spectacle they offer, not to post it to the non-payers or for us to look back on later. We are there for the moment, and I try to forget it as soon as possible to not be disappointed with everyday life! The drive home 96.1 played every song in their Tool library back to back, much love and unheard of with today's pre-picked radio setlists!

Adam, Justin, and Danny were all wearing white; Adam and Justin were in jump suits and Danny had a white cut-off. Maynard was wearing the all black jump suit similar to the one he wore when I saw them in Roanoke in 2001 with his black mohawk. And, MJK is not the apex, frontman, or focal point. He is the last to touch the music. He is the softest part of the songs. He turns his back to us, but I have seen if we earn his trust he will face the audience and come up to the front. He did that at Roanoke 2001, and I have not seen it again. He is the temperamental cowbell in the band basically. You got to listen very closely and be good little Toolies if you want more cowbell. But, I still got that fever in Gwinnett, and I could not have asked for more from what I saw from us. Shame on you Georgia!

And to comment on the venue, it could have been worse! They were originally going to play an outdoor theater on that Sunday in the south side of Atlanta at the Amphitheater, with a John Myer wannabe playing at 7:30. Be thankful my droogies, and eat your eggy-weggies with pride you saw the boys, maybe for one of the last times! But that's what keeps us coming back, isn't it?!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #84
Level 4 - Thinker

4th show: 2001 Roanoke Civic Center, 2006 Pittsburg (sucky ass arena), and 2007 Roanoke the sequel. My wife has missed them all, and complained every time that I never invited her/she couldn't go. She took up drums on GHWT, and was impressed by the Tool songs being the hardest. I talked her into going on the argument that she needed to see why. She said afterwards that she now knows why I think they are the best supergroup of our generation, and bumped them up to five on her top ten list. I thought that was cute.

Regardless, Maynard did not want to do this tour. I heard a radio show out of Chicago doing an interview with him. He was smack dab in the middle of his wine tour, and refused to talk about anything about Tool. The favor was called in, quote, and he had to go, like being called into duty. This tour will be lackluster for this reason on his vocals and participation. He still earned my $40 an hour for just showing up and giving me something, anything!

To add to the lyrics comments, I distinctly heard "Fret for your monkey" on Aenima. Did anyone hear that?! Then, I thought, MJK may have been commenting on LA's obession with MJ's death. Just a thought. And for Rosetta Stoned, I heard "and they fucked me up the ass" instead of "And I didn't graduate from fucking high school." These could have been auditory hallucinations, but I made a point to go stone cold sober, so someone please confirm.

And Justin was fucking on! He played like he was the lead, and in most of the songs he was! I found myself thrusting my pelvis in the same manner he was thrusting into his bass. They did a lot of playing on the ground too. I remembered from the 06/07, that the distortion parts were done with him standing. All I know is one or both of them made the loudest, highest pitched tone that I have ever heard, and held it for at least 5 or 6 minutes. That made Rosetta Stoned so much more sweeter when they released into it. Ahhh.

Lateralus is their Stairway hands down. Flood was awesome to hear. Aenima, 46 & 2, and Stinkfist would have been singles for that album, if they were as big as they are now at that time, which they are played often on the radio as they are edited well. Jambi, Vicarious, and Rosetta Stoned, outside of the Pot, are the greatest sound they have made yet. I cannot complain about the setlist, and I don't think you should go to the same show in a different city expecting different. At your job, do you do whatever you do differently and more complex every time? No, you find the easiest and fastest way to get the desired effect. Efficient setlist.

I liked the vocals volume, it helped you pick out the "maggots" (as I read before as an appropriate label) who were there to brag about going and not try to hear every sweet word coming out of MJK's mouth. In Roanoke, he actually commented on how well we were behaving in regards to the flash. I saw an interview from Aenima that he expects people to buy the ticket to experience the spectacle they offer, not to post it to the non-payers or for us to look back on later. We are there for the moment, and I try to forget it as soon as possible to not be disappointed with everyday life! The drive home 96.1 played every song in their Tool library back to back, much love and unheard of with today's pre-picked radio setlists!

Adam, Justin, and Danny were all wearing white; Adam and Justin were in jump suits and Danny had a white cut-off. Maynard was wearing the all black jump suit similar to the one he wore when I saw them in Roanoke in 2001 with his black mohawk. And, MJK is not the apex, frontman, or focal point. He is the last to touch the music. He is the softest part of the songs. He turns his back to us, but I have seen if we earn his trust he will face the audience and come up to the front. He did that at Roanoke 2001, and I have not seen it again. He is the temperamental cowbell in the band basically. You got to listen very closely and be good little Toolies if you want more cowbell. But, I still got that fever in Gwinnett, and I could not have asked for more from what I saw from us. Shame on you Georgia!

And to comment on the venue, it could have been worse! They were originally going to play an outdoor theater on that Sunday in the south side of Atlanta at the Amphitheater, with a John Myer wannabe playing at 7:30. Be thankful my droogies, and eat your eggy-weggies with pride you saw the boys, maybe for one of the last times! But that's what keeps us coming back, isn't it?!
OFFLINE |  
marsss
07-29-2009, 09:51 PM

This was my first TOOL show ever and I was ecstatic, but a bit disappointed. I cried during Jambi, just because it was an intense start to the show and because I felt so amazed to finally be in the midst of my favourite band EVER... LIVE.

Well, the first 4 songs went on in this manner with minor glitches. Then I started to notice that these 4 songs would probably be as good as it got. LK/RS was amazing, but I just felt the energy die down after the first half. I would have loved to hear Maynard sing those last beautiful lines of Vicarious, but alas, he pinned that chore on us.

I did, however, FREAKING LOVE being on the floor RIGHT IN FRONT. I just love the feeling of being on the floor versus seats. It's almost as if the entire floor crowd is one entity, passionately fused together through the shared love of the music. My boyfriend kept picking me up above the crowd, which made me feel amazing. I was just SO into it, I didn't even really notice all of the big uh-oh's the band made. Even Maynard's verse-skip. I do wish they would have played Wings for Marie pt. 1 and 2, just because I feel it to be the most guttural, emotional song to ever flow out of Maynard's brain. My boyfriend saw them in 2007 in New Orleans and claims they played for a full SIX HOURS...

All in all, it was a great experience, even if it wasn't as good as it could have been. I'm looking forward to more, better TOOL concerts in my future.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #85
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first TOOL show ever and I was ecstatic, but a bit disappointed. I cried during Jambi, just because it was an intense start to the show and because I felt so amazed to finally be in the midst of my favourite band EVER... LIVE.

Well, the first 4 songs went on in this manner with minor glitches. Then I started to notice that these 4 songs would probably be as good as it got. LK/RS was amazing, but I just felt the energy die down after the first half. I would have loved to hear Maynard sing those last beautiful lines of Vicarious, but alas, he pinned that chore on us.

I did, however, FREAKING LOVE being on the floor RIGHT IN FRONT. I just love the feeling of being on the floor versus seats. It's almost as if the entire floor crowd is one entity, passionately fused together through the shared love of the music. My boyfriend kept picking me up above the crowd, which made me feel amazing. I was just SO into it, I didn't even really notice all of the big uh-oh's the band made. Even Maynard's verse-skip. I do wish they would have played Wings for Marie pt. 1 and 2, just because I feel it to be the most guttural, emotional song to ever flow out of Maynard's brain. My boyfriend saw them in 2007 in New Orleans and claims they played for a full SIX HOURS...

All in all, it was a great experience, even if it wasn't as good as it could have been. I'm looking forward to more, better TOOL concerts in my future.
OFFLINE |  
TheDude420
07-30-2009, 06:11 AM

i cant say im suprised with the setlist, but i am a little bit dissapointed. Schism was really good as well as flood, LOVE that intro. met some really cool people in the parking lot, so Stevie, Sara, and the other ladies and gents, whats up, its the dude.

PS, to the poster above me i saw them in Nawlins at the N.O. Arena in 07 and while they did play a while it surely wasnt 6 hrs.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:11 AM   #86
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka
Bincount™: 80

i cant say im suprised with the setlist, but i am a little bit dissapointed. Schism was really good as well as flood, LOVE that intro. met some really cool people in the parking lot, so Stevie, Sara, and the other ladies and gents, whats up, its the dude.

PS, to the poster above me i saw them in Nawlins at the N.O. Arena in 07 and while they did play a while it surely wasnt 6 hrs.
07-30-2009, 06:44 AM

Marsss:

You can now rest easy knowing that Tool played about 5 minutes longer at the New Orleans show than they did Monday night in Duluth (i.e. 2 hours). I was there. ;)

Although, that New Orleans gig was a fantastic performance, to be sure. Setlist was the same as Monday except instead of Ænema, they went straight into the Intermission after Flood and played Wings 1 + 2 after.

I really would love to see a LINK to this now infamous Maynard interview where he apparently claims he didn't want to tour. I've heard a lot of people echoing it like an overblown rumor, but have never seen/heard any proof.

I really wish they could figure out a way to stamp out this flash photography bullshit once and for all. I know it's impossible though. Aside from really searching people hard and just taking away any and all cameras. Aside from pissing off the "frontman," they're just plain annoying to see.

And as a photographer, it frustrates me to NO END knowing that all their pictures are going to turn out like SHIT for the sole reason that they're using flash (not considering how weak most of these cameras are anyway). Don't they realize that their pics are going to come out shitty and really not be any kind of "memory" at all? Just search the web and find one from Toolband or something. Jesus.

ETA:

Did anyone else find it odd/jarring that they began Ænema without Maynard's part? Have they been doing it that way at all the other gigs? Or is Maynard having vocal troubles again (i.e. getting sick)? I did see him really throwing back the water, as well as avoiding almost anything resembling a scream (even more-so than he's known to do these days).

Last edited by nusense; 07-30-2009 at 11:00 AM..
Old 07-30-2009, 06:44 AM   #87
Level 7 - Loquacious

Marsss:

You can now rest easy knowing that Tool played about 5 minutes longer at the New Orleans show than they did Monday night in Duluth (i.e. 2 hours). I was there. ;)

Although, that New Orleans gig was a fantastic performance, to be sure. Setlist was the same as Monday except instead of Ænema, they went straight into the Intermission after Flood and played Wings 1 + 2 after.

I really would love to see a LINK to this now infamous Maynard interview where he apparently claims he didn't want to tour. I've heard a lot of people echoing it like an overblown rumor, but have never seen/heard any proof.

I really wish they could figure out a way to stamp out this flash photography bullshit once and for all. I know it's impossible though. Aside from really searching people hard and just taking away any and all cameras. Aside from pissing off the "frontman," they're just plain annoying to see.

And as a photographer, it frustrates me to NO END knowing that all their pictures are going to turn out like SHIT for the sole reason that they're using flash (not considering how weak most of these cameras are anyway). Don't they realize that their pics are going to come out shitty and really not be any kind of "memory" at all? Just search the web and find one from Toolband or something. Jesus.

ETA:

Did anyone else find it odd/jarring that they began Ænema without Maynard's part? Have they been doing it that way at all the other gigs? Or is Maynard having vocal troubles again (i.e. getting sick)? I did see him really throwing back the water, as well as avoiding almost anything resembling a scream (even more-so than he's known to do these days).

Last edited by nusense; 07-30-2009 at 11:00 AM..
OFFLINE |  
TheDude420
07-30-2009, 01:14 PM

yea the "Hey hey hey hey" beginning from aenema was sorely missed
Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #88
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka
Bincount™: 80

yea the "Hey hey hey hey" beginning from aenema was sorely missed
07-31-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Imus View Post

Actually, youre wrong... they were slated to play Verizon Wireless in Alpharetta, which in my opinion wouldve been SICK. I did enjoy the ride home with the project though :)
Old 07-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #89
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Actually, youre wrong... they were slated to play Verizon Wireless in Alpharetta, which in my opinion wouldve been SICK. I did enjoy the ride home with the project though :)
OFFLINE |  
07-31-2009, 04:44 PM

I swear on my left big toe I heard a radio interview online during Maynard's wine signings at whole foods back in June in what I recall a rock station in Chicago (or some other major city he went to) that was 10 minutes of him talking about wine, and at the end of the interview when asked of the current tour, he said the "call in the favor" comment.

Since I read you post today and since I have nothing better to do, I searched high and low for this interview. But, for the life of me I could not find it or the link I had used to get to it. I hate to quote without references, but I did hear it. Maybe (conspiracy theory) it was pulled because it was bad for Tool.

At any rate this thread is probably dead now, and I just wanted to post my efforts. Sorry!

Last edited by Anon-Imus; 07-31-2009 at 04:49 PM..
Old 07-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #90
Level 4 - Thinker

I swear on my left big toe I heard a radio interview online during Maynard's wine signings at whole foods back in June in what I recall a rock station in Chicago (or some other major city he went to) that was 10 minutes of him talking about wine, and at the end of the interview when asked of the current tour, he said the "call in the favor" comment.

Since I read you post today and since I have nothing better to do, I searched high and low for this interview. But, for the life of me I could not find it or the link I had used to get to it. I hate to quote without references, but I did hear it. Maybe (conspiracy theory) it was pulled because it was bad for Tool.

At any rate this thread is probably dead now, and I just wanted to post my efforts. Sorry!

Last edited by Anon-Imus; 07-31-2009 at 04:49 PM..
OFFLINE |  
07-31-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr34k View Post
Oh I'm sorry for the misquote about South Atlanta thing, but if you look at Verizon Amphitheater's event list it was Starfest 2009: Jason Mraz on Monday, July 27 at 7:00 pm. Follow the link: http://www.vzwamp.com/e26-starfest-2009-jason-mraz.php

Still think it would have been, "sick"?
Old 07-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #91
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Oh I'm sorry for the misquote about South Atlanta thing, but if you look at Verizon Amphitheater's event list it was Starfest 2009: Jason Mraz on Monday, July 27 at 7:00 pm. Follow the link: http://www.vzwamp.com/e26-starfest-2009-jason-mraz.php

OFFLINE |  
dr funkmaster's Avatar dr funkmaster
08-01-2009, 12:05 AM

My 8th show and the highlights were definitely Rosetta Stoned and Flood. I was about 10 people from the stage on the floor right in front of Maynard. The sound was fantastic (didn't even need earplugs) and the view of the lasers was my favorite yet (4th laser show...very well done Junior). Of course I was hoping for a crazier set like everyone else, but it was nice hearing Aenema for the first time since '02. Before Lateralus, Adam was playing around on the guitar and I thought we were about to get Prison Sex, hah. Still absolutely no complaints though.

The one benefit of the very similar setlist was my friends and I were more loose and just enjoying it all rather than seriously taking it in like the spiritual experience it can often be.

The pit during Lateralus was befuddling but I only took one elbow to the liver while in the wall so it wasn't too bad, hah. I had to break up a fight at one point early in the show and save a few chicks and smaller dudes from the pit so it was a unique evening in that manner, haha. I've gone to enough shows over the years that I know any show in the south with loud music can turn into a mosh pit regardless of how inappropriate it may be for a particular song, so I can't say I was that surprised.

If I hit your car after the show with a frisbee I apologize again...though it seriously only hit the front grill, hah. And if you joined us for beer and shootin' the shit afterwards it was good to meet you. And thanks for sharing some of your brews when we ran out.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #92
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

My 8th show and the highlights were definitely Rosetta Stoned and Flood. I was about 10 people from the stage on the floor right in front of Maynard. The sound was fantastic (didn't even need earplugs) and the view of the lasers was my favorite yet (4th laser show...very well done Junior). Of course I was hoping for a crazier set like everyone else, but it was nice hearing Aenema for the first time since '02. Before Lateralus, Adam was playing around on the guitar and I thought we were about to get Prison Sex, hah. Still absolutely no complaints though.

The one benefit of the very similar setlist was my friends and I were more loose and just enjoying it all rather than seriously taking it in like the spiritual experience it can often be.

The pit during Lateralus was befuddling but I only took one elbow to the liver while in the wall so it wasn't too bad, hah. I had to break up a fight at one point early in the show and save a few chicks and smaller dudes from the pit so it was a unique evening in that manner, haha. I've gone to enough shows over the years that I know any show in the south with loud music can turn into a mosh pit regardless of how inappropriate it may be for a particular song, so I can't say I was that surprised.

If I hit your car after the show with a frisbee I apologize again...though it seriously only hit the front grill, hah. And if you joined us for beer and shootin' the shit afterwards it was good to meet you. And thanks for sharing some of your brews when we ran out.
08-02-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:

That was the reason the show had to be moved, as VZW amp. was double booked...And honestly yes, ive seen the facilities there, and they blow hi fi buys out of the water... But i guess its merely a matter of opinion
Old 08-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #93
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

That was the reason the show had to be moved, as VZW amp. was double booked...And honestly yes, ive seen the facilities there, and they blow hi fi buys out of the water... But i guess its merely a matter of opinion
OFFLINE |  
TAILPIPE05
08-02-2009, 06:16 PM

THAT WAS AN AMAZING SHOW BY THE ONE AND ONLY TOOL !

EVERYONE AROUND ME ON THE FLOOR IN FRONT OF ADAM HAD A BLAST AND HAD THEIR HANDS IN THE AIR THE WHOLE SHOW!

HEY TOOL _ _ GREAT FUCKING SHOW AS ALWAYS !
HEY MAYNARD --- GREAT FUCKING SHOW AS ALWAYS !
HEY TOOL FANS THAT LOVED THE SHOW--YOU GUYS ROCK!

Last edited by marcus; 08-02-2009 at 06:32 PM..
Old 08-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #94
Level 1 - Lurker

THAT WAS AN AMAZING SHOW BY THE ONE AND ONLY TOOL !

EVERYONE AROUND ME ON THE FLOOR IN FRONT OF ADAM HAD A BLAST AND HAD THEIR HANDS IN THE AIR THE WHOLE SHOW!

HEY TOOL _ _ GREAT FUCKING SHOW AS ALWAYS !
HEY MAYNARD --- GREAT FUCKING SHOW AS ALWAYS !
HEY TOOL FANS THAT LOVED THE SHOW--YOU GUYS ROCK!

Last edited by marcus; 08-02-2009 at 06:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
08-03-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I have never been there as this was my first concert in GA. It will probably be my last as I am a displaced Yankee, but if I get a cheap ticket there I will consider. I have heard good things, and I do like outdoor events!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #95
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I have never been there as this was my first concert in GA. It will probably be my last as I am a displaced Yankee, but if I get a cheap ticket there I will consider. I have heard good things, and I do like outdoor events!
OFFLINE |  
insaner's Avatar insaner
08-04-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
hmm.

i'm slightly confused to be honest with most of these posts.

compared to every other show since 2006, I don't see how maynard was any different last night?
damn man i meant to hook up with you for this show and charlotte, but my computer died.

anyways, i was on shrooms for this show and since they are an empathetic drug, i felt what these people are saying for the first time. i always defend tool and have no problem with setlists changing and all that shit, but maynard really seemed to be phoning it in this time. it just felt sad to me, that was the emotion i was feeling. i was high, but ive seen tool like 50 times now and this was the first time i ever got that kind of energy from maynard. i was way close to the stage and i could see and feel that he really didnt give a fuck. its almost like the sea of cell phones just ruined it for him after the first couple songs. the energy was really good until then, and he was talking but then he just shut it down. he went through the motions and if i remember correctly he played the rest of the show with his back to the sudience. of course in my state of mind, it made it all alittle worse but kind of like metallica at bonnaroo, he almost seemed like a sad caricature of the old version. a cartoon with a mohawk if you will. alas, tool isnt just maynard and the band got off as always. they made the show great, but as a veteran of shows since the very beginning, im sad to say that i think tool is boring for maynard now. lets hope im wrong.

charlotte was a little better but the same set and same maynard. thnaks to nobby and junior for the hospitality on my drunken state. and my dumbass left my setlist in the hotel room :( no fake songs this time but it did have sound and lighting direction on it with some funny stuff.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #96
On Probation

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
hmm.

i'm slightly confused to be honest with most of these posts.

compared to every other show since 2006, I don't see how maynard was any different last night?
damn man i meant to hook up with you for this show and charlotte, but my computer died.

anyways, i was on shrooms for this show and since they are an empathetic drug, i felt what these people are saying for the first time. i always defend tool and have no problem with setlists changing and all that shit, but maynard really seemed to be phoning it in this time. it just felt sad to me, that was the emotion i was feeling. i was high, but ive seen tool like 50 times now and this was the first time i ever got that kind of energy from maynard. i was way close to the stage and i could see and feel that he really didnt give a fuck. its almost like the sea of cell phones just ruined it for him after the first couple songs. the energy was really good until then, and he was talking but then he just shut it down. he went through the motions and if i remember correctly he played the rest of the show with his back to the sudience. of course in my state of mind, it made it all alittle worse but kind of like metallica at bonnaroo, he almost seemed like a sad caricature of the old version. a cartoon with a mohawk if you will. alas, tool isnt just maynard and the band got off as always. they made the show great, but as a veteran of shows since the very beginning, im sad to say that i think tool is boring for maynard now. lets hope im wrong.

charlotte was a little better but the same set and same maynard. thnaks to nobby and junior for the hospitality on my drunken state. and my dumbass left my setlist in the hotel room :( no fake songs this time but it did have sound and lighting direction on it with some funny stuff.
OFFLINE |  
insaner's Avatar insaner
08-05-2009, 07:03 PM

i meant to say atlanta was a little better. and a bored maynard is better than most any other lead singer.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #97
On Probation

Bincount™: 15

i meant to say atlanta was a little better. and a bored maynard is better than most any other lead singer.
OFFLINE |  
08-06-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaner View Post
Fuckin A MAN! That is right on so many levels. When Maynard gets on stage, whether you can see him, whether you can hear every word, he still can sell out shows with a single song. And all that metal shit out there now, you can't understand a damn word they say either! And I'd rather not see some of them, they most of the time look like they bathed in french fry grease.

Not every band has their own new age, prog-metal, wine-making, West Point graduate/vocalist/DJ/producer. Yes, our anti-frontman is a sleak, stream-lined, sarcastic sonnova bitch that makes people feel pissed when he doesn't give them what they want. Of course, the main point and the reason why you paid good money to see him and the other guys, is you get to feel, "pain" and simple!
Old 08-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #98
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Fuckin A MAN! That is right on so many levels. When Maynard gets on stage, whether you can see him, whether you can hear every word, he still can sell out shows with a single song. And all that metal shit out there now, you can't understand a damn word they say either! And I'd rather not see some of them, they most of the time look like they bathed in french fry grease.

Not every band has their own new age, prog-metal, wine-making, West Point graduate/vocalist/DJ/producer. Yes, our anti-frontman is a sleak, stream-lined, sarcastic sonnova bitch that makes people feel pissed when he doesn't give them what they want. Of course, the main point and the reason why you paid good money to see him and the other guys, is you get to feel, "pain" and simple!
OFFLINE |  
Prisoner 37
08-07-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:

MJK never went to West Point,much less graduated.He went to West Point Prep school.I imagine he could've moved on to West Point,but decided not to,so he could study art instead.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #99
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

MJK never went to West Point,much less graduated.He went to West Point Prep school.I imagine he could've moved on to West Point,but decided not to,so he could study art instead.
OFFLINE |  
enterangement
08-08-2009, 06:39 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2FA9A1l-q8 Maynard wasn't singing gibberish or skipping verses... now ya'll are just making up stuff to continue bashing the man...
Old 08-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #100
Level 2 - Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2FA9A1l-q8 Maynard wasn't singing gibberish or skipping verses... now ya'll are just making up stuff to continue bashing the man...
OFFLINE |  
grimLoK
08-08-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterangement View Post
ha! good point.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #101
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
ha! good point.
OFFLINE |  
mondegreen
08-11-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Maynard wasn't singing gibberish or skipping verses... now ya'll are just making up stuff to continue bashing the man...
See below:

Quote:
i was way close to the stage and i could see and feel that he really didnt give a fuck. its almost like the sea of cell phones just ruined it for him after the first couple songs. the energy was really good until then, and he was talking but then he just shut it down.
In any case, I'm glad I got to see Tool play again, and I would probably go to another show if I have the chance.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #102
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Maynard wasn't singing gibberish or skipping verses... now ya'll are just making up stuff to continue bashing the man...
See below:

Quote:
i was way close to the stage and i could see and feel that he really didnt give a fuck. its almost like the sea of cell phones just ruined it for him after the first couple songs. the energy was really good until then, and he was talking but then he just shut it down.
In any case, I'm glad I got to see Tool play again, and I would probably go to another show if I have the chance.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply