Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 09. Intension
User Name
Password
deps
06-29-2006, 11:28 AM

okay, i'm totally going out of on a limb here, but i nreversed this song and found an amazing spoken word part in the intro....

can anyone tell me what it says?!
Old 06-29-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Reverse the Intro

okay, i'm totally going out of on a limb here, but i nreversed this song and found an amazing spoken word part in the intro....

can anyone tell me what it says?!
xxx_jpk_xxx's Avatar xxx_jpk_xxx
06-29-2006, 11:33 AM

Are you sure its 10,000 Days? Cus there is a spoken word part in Intension. Maynard is whispering "Work hard, Listen to your mother, stay in school, your father was right" (probably fucked up the order he says it in), Ill go and reverse the intro and listen to it, though. How far into it is it?

God isn't all that exists... God is all that doesn't exist.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5
Re: Reverse the Intro

Are you sure its 10,000 Days? Cus there is a spoken word part in Intension. Maynard is whispering "Work hard, Listen to your mother, stay in school, your father was right" (probably fucked up the order he says it in), Ill go and reverse the intro and listen to it, though. How far into it is it?

God isn't all that exists... God is all that doesn't exist.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 3653

Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
07-04-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx_jpk_xxx
Yeah, he says that here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBPuw9hrGE&search=Tool%20mtv%20interview
Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Prana

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx_jpk_xxx
Yeah, he says that here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBPuw9hrGE&search=Tool%20mtv%20interview
07-12-2006, 04:42 AM

so are we supposed to take the 'secret message' literally, or are we to reverse the meaning of the message as well and take it as the opposite of the original message? that's a tough one for me because they're both beleiveable.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:42 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

so are we supposed to take the 'secret message' literally, or are we to reverse the meaning of the message as well and take it as the opposite of the original message? that's a tough one for me because they're both beleiveable.
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
07-12-2006, 11:34 AM

just listen to it the way it is, then it sounds alot better.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

just listen to it the way it is, then it sounds alot better.
[ænima]
07-14-2006, 02:51 PM

both ways are amazing
Old 07-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

both ways are amazing
Nietzsche's Dead's Avatar Nietzsche's Dead
07-17-2006, 04:17 PM

maybe he's serious, maybe not.
but i take it as comedy. im sure he knew die-hards would feel there's a deep hidden message and reverse it, only to find mjk's suddenly turned into an old man :)
i mean - such strict opinions, on such a spiritual song?
and a message aimed at the well being of children?
i think not, kind sir. i think not

XD
Old 07-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

but i take it as comedy. im sure he knew die-hards would feel there's a deep hidden message and reverse it, only to find mjk's suddenly turned into an old man :)

XD
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
07-20-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche's Dead

XD
I think he was kind of serious about his point but at the same time he did it jokingly. He said in an interview before about how back in the days kids always listened to their parents and had respect for their parents and nowadays they never do and their parents always try to tell them what the right thing to do is with their lives but they always seem to have to go find out for themselves the hard way and later when they grow up they stop and think "damn they were right all along". I think that may be his serious part but, perhaps put it in their in a way that you could obviously tell there was a reversed track and get people thinking it was some satanic message and get parents or ( cough..FCC ) to fall off their rockers just to find out it's a fruitful message.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche's Dead

XD
I think he was kind of serious about his point but at the same time he did it jokingly. He said in an interview before about how back in the days kids always listened to their parents and had respect for their parents and nowadays they never do and their parents always try to tell them what the right thing to do is with their lives but they always seem to have to go find out for themselves the hard way and later when they grow up they stop and think "damn they were right all along". I think that may be his serious part but, perhaps put it in their in a way that you could obviously tell there was a reversed track and get people thinking it was some satanic message and get parents or ( cough..FCC ) to fall off their rockers just to find out it's a fruitful message.
07-21-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochey-o
Thanks for that link. I couldn't find the program I was told to find.....
Old 07-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: The Gulch Jerome, Airport Mesa, Sedona. No longer Eugene, OR. Now Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn
Bincount™: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochey-o
Thanks for that link. I couldn't find the program I was told to find.....
07-22-2006, 08:47 PM

he also seems to be whispering something forward....

"listen... closely..." other things too, i just cant make it out....

maybe he put the satanic message forward? hiding in plain sight? that'd fuck up the fcc.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:47 PM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

he also seems to be whispering something forward....

"listen... closely..." other things too, i just cant make it out....

maybe he put the satanic message forward? hiding in plain sight? that'd fuck up the fcc.
Semp's Avatar Semp
07-22-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighterbandit
I think the point is that they're playing on the stereotype of metal bands as being satanic, and the hoary old tale of the album with the reverse message telling you to worship satan or do other things that sends the moral majority into a fit of outrage and concern. Instead of killing your parents or worshipping Satan, we actually have here a message telling listeners to do the sort of things the moral majority would approve of.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:55 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighterbandit
I think the point is that they're playing on the stereotype of metal bands as being satanic, and the hoary old tale of the album with the reverse message telling you to worship satan or do other things that sends the moral majority into a fit of outrage and concern. Instead of killing your parents or worshipping Satan, we actually have here a message telling listeners to do the sort of things the moral majority would approve of.
ufopancakes's Avatar ufopancakes
07-23-2006, 04:20 AM

"Work hard, stay in school, listen to your mother, your father is right."

Reverse the whole song, and listen to it from 5:45. You'll hear it.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:20 AM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1

"Work hard, stay in school, listen to your mother, your father is right."

Reverse the whole song, and listen to it from 5:45. You'll hear it.
07-23-2006, 04:21 AM

By the way, Im not cool enough to figure that out on my own, that I got from Wikipedia... but its totally right.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:21 AM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

By the way, Im not cool enough to figure that out on my own, that I got from Wikipedia... but its totally right.
07-30-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp
Isn't that basically the same exact thing I said already?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:20 PM   #15
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp
Isn't that basically the same exact thing I said already?
09-09-2006, 10:21 AM

I think it's amazing how the hidden message doesn't fit with the content of the song in my opinion.
The lyrics say "Moved by will alone". In my opinion this says that noone can tell you what to do and you have to find out for yourself what is right or wrong.
And then there are those hidden lyrics that say "Work hard. Stay in school. Listen to your mother. Your father is right" I think they were reversed to clarify the meaning of the song, because when you do everything exactly how other people want you to do it, you can't find out what is right or wrong for you.

Last edited by Solaris; 09-09-2006 at 10:24 AM..
Old 09-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think it's amazing how the hidden message doesn't fit with the content of the song in my opinion.
The lyrics say "Moved by will alone". In my opinion this says that noone can tell you what to do and you have to find out for yourself what is right or wrong.
And then there are those hidden lyrics that say "Work hard. Stay in school. Listen to your mother. Your father is right" I think they were reversed to clarify the meaning of the song, because when you do everything exactly how other people want you to do it, you can't find out what is right or wrong for you.

Last edited by Solaris; 09-09-2006 at 10:24 AM..
Solaris's Avatar Solaris
09-22-2006, 06:27 AM

Following your will means to me to do what I want. The reversed vocals make no thematic sense because they are telling you to do what others (parents,school) want you to do. If you do everything like others want you to, you can't find the right way for yourself. Maybe what they want you to do is wrong. Maybe you could make it better your way.
I don't mean that you shouldn't listen to your parents or stay in school, I don't mean that you should be lazy. I only say (and in my opinion that'sthe meaning of the song) That you should do things your way.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:27 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Following your will means to me to do what I want. The reversed vocals make no thematic sense because they are telling you to do what others (parents,school) want you to do. If you do everything like others want you to, you can't find the right way for yourself. Maybe what they want you to do is wrong. Maybe you could make it better your way.
I don't mean that you shouldn't listen to your parents or stay in school, I don't mean that you should be lazy. I only say (and in my opinion that'sthe meaning of the song) That you should do things your way.
09-23-2006, 07:34 PM

will = intension (see "intention" by tool)
Old 09-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #18
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

will = intension (see "intention" by tool)
11-26-2006, 03:44 PM

what about thelema??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema

Thelema is the English transliteration of the Ancient Greek noun θέλημα: "will", from the verb θέλω: to will, wish, purpose.

So I think that this song is whole about this.

Crowley summed up the Law of Thelema[23] in these phrases from the Book:

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"
"Love is the law, love under will"
"There is no Law beyond Do what thou wilt"

That's why I think that the meaning of the message should be understood in the reversed way.. (don't go to school.. etc.)

and.. sorry for my English :)
Old 11-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

what about thelema??

Thelema is the English transliteration of the Ancient Greek noun θέλημα: "will", from the verb θέλω: to will, wish, purpose.

That's why I think that the meaning of the message should be understood in the reversed way.. (don't go to school.. etc.)

magicbus's Avatar magicbus
11-28-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post

Yea that's it. This is probably just Maynard's way of poking fun at the whole "satanic reverse message" phenomenon.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post

Yea that's it. This is probably just Maynard's way of poking fun at the whole "satanic reverse message" phenomenon.
brcy's Avatar brcy
02-14-2007, 02:37 PM

If you play it backwards, and it says to work hard, then if you play it forward it must tell you to not to.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

If you play it backwards, and it says to work hard, then if you play it forward it must tell you to not to.
04-25-2007, 12:28 AM

maybe the message is for the choosen one who didn't graduate from fucking high school
Old 04-25-2007, 12:28 AM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

maybe the message is for the choosen one who didn't graduate from fucking high school
Esurient4Truth's Avatar Esurient4Truth
04-25-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochey-o View Post
Audacity?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #23
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

Quote:
Audacity?
04-28-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
Following your Will means gaining knowledge and conversation of your guardian angel and doing what HE tells you to do. Many people believe that this so-called guardian angel is actually more akin to the super-ego or the (supposedly) perfect, inspired reason that resides in the subconscious mind. So following your Will basically means "doing what you know you should" or "not being lazy."

And before you say I'm crazy, please notice that Maynard talks about his "will" a LOT in both Tool and APC. In light of all the weird Rosicrucian type shit going on with this band, I don't think it's a huge leap to think he's talking about Thelema. Will with a capital W.

If the glove fits...
Well Weed centainly Got me daamn lazy. I mean I appreciate the horizon-opening abilities it gave my mind.
I actually think Intension's subliminal word triggered an anxiety attack I had a few months ago, while I was high.

I've got this idea that tool wanted me too panic, so I could realize that weed makes my will lazy.
If that's the case, which I truly believe. I seriously thank tool for plunging me into the swamp, so I could quiet the Habit of smoking weed every day.
I'm now totally clean :)
And Im beginning to feel more and more motivated :D ..jaaiii
"In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? - like some hand of god hovering above... At least it is true, that man has no control even over his own will."
Old 04-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1759

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
Following your Will means gaining knowledge and conversation of your guardian angel and doing what HE tells you to do. Many people believe that this so-called guardian angel is actually more akin to the super-ego or the (supposedly) perfect, inspired reason that resides in the subconscious mind. So following your Will basically means "doing what you know you should" or "not being lazy."

And before you say I'm crazy, please notice that Maynard talks about his "will" a LOT in both Tool and APC. In light of all the weird Rosicrucian type shit going on with this band, I don't think it's a huge leap to think he's talking about Thelema. Will with a capital W.

If the glove fits...
Well Weed centainly Got me daamn lazy. I mean I appreciate the horizon-opening abilities it gave my mind.
I actually think Intension's subliminal word triggered an anxiety attack I had a few months ago, while I was high.

I've got this idea that tool wanted me too panic, so I could realize that weed makes my will lazy.
If that's the case, which I truly believe. I seriously thank tool for plunging me into the swamp, so I could quiet the Habit of smoking weed every day.
I'm now totally clean :)
And Im beginning to feel more and more motivated :D ..jaaiii
"In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? - like some hand of god hovering above... At least it is true, that man has no control even over his own will."
mawrestler_140's Avatar mawrestler_140
04-28-2007, 10:07 AM

Does that give anyone else chills???
Old 04-28-2007, 10:07 AM   #25
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 261

Does that give anyone else chills???
05-12-2007, 03:40 AM

It makes me smile rather than gives me chills. I love that kind of sense of humor. It's always - PLay certains records backwards and you will hear Satan and he will eat your soul. And when you take Tool record and play it backwards, Maynard suggests you to be a good boy;). Brilliant.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:40 AM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

It makes me smile rather than gives me chills. I love that kind of sense of humor. It's always - PLay certains records backwards and you will hear Satan and he will eat your soul. And when you take Tool record and play it backwards, Maynard suggests you to be a good boy;). Brilliant.
Matt8's Avatar Matt8
05-14-2007, 02:38 PM

stay in school. the rosetta stoned character never did. perhaps the aliens told him this. i dunno.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #27
On Probation

Bincount™: 249

stay in school. the rosetta stoned character never did. perhaps the aliens told him this. i dunno.
M00N's Avatar M00N
05-16-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
wow thats amazing... its so clear... lol isn't subliminal messages illegal? or just frowned upon... whatever. This is great, thank you for posting.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
wow thats amazing... its so clear... lol isn't subliminal messages illegal? or just frowned upon... whatever. This is great, thank you for posting.
08-04-2007, 04:16 PM

no way that subliminal messages are illegal.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #29
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

no way that subliminal messages are illegal.
ufopancakes's Avatar ufopancakes
02-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayten View Post
what about thelema??

Don't waste your time. Sadly, many people are less interested in the philosophies that the art points towards, and more concerned about maynards personal life, what he takes in his coffee, etc...
Old 02-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #30
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayten View Post
what about thelema??

Don't waste your time. Sadly, many people are less interested in the philosophies that the art points towards, and more concerned about maynards personal life, what he takes in his coffee, etc...
02-25-2008, 01:53 PM

I will have to try the intro reverse thing. Will is a very important theme in philosophy as some believe that it is the only pure thing in the world. As long as the will is good, the results from an action with good will driving that action are irrelevant.

I for one are interested in philosophy. Never had any exposure to Crowley tho. I dealt mainly with the existential guys, Nietzsche, Camus, Rand (yuk), Kierkegard (my fav) and Freud. anyone wanting to talk philosophy (lightly at first as i havnt studied them hard in a year and a half) pm me or whatever.

I believe that the reversed words are more of a tongue-in-cheek punch at the idea of subliminals in songs. Making fun of the idea of subliminal words in songs being dark and malicious and the racous they have caused thru the years. Remember the famous "DO IT" in one of Judas Priest songs...what the fuck man.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka
Bincount™: 80

I will have to try the intro reverse thing. Will is a very important theme in philosophy as some believe that it is the only pure thing in the world. As long as the will is good, the results from an action with good will driving that action are irrelevant.

I for one are interested in philosophy. Never had any exposure to Crowley tho. I dealt mainly with the existential guys, Nietzsche, Camus, Rand (yuk), Kierkegard (my fav) and Freud. anyone wanting to talk philosophy (lightly at first as i havnt studied them hard in a year and a half) pm me or whatever.

I believe that the reversed words are more of a tongue-in-cheek punch at the idea of subliminals in songs. Making fun of the idea of subliminal words in songs being dark and malicious and the racous they have caused thru the years. Remember the famous "DO IT" in one of Judas Priest songs...what the fuck man.
02-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude420 View Post

That's exactly how I see it as well and have said before about the reverse whispers on one of the threads around here somewhere.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #32
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

That's exactly how I see it as well and have said before about the reverse whispers on one of the threads around here somewhere.
02-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Thats cool, but i aint tryin to rip you off or anything, i just said that.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka
Bincount™: 80

02-26-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I know, I never said you were.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #34
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I know, I never said you were.
05-09-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post
I've tried reversing the song with Fruity Loops, and that IS what it says.
I was stunned, because I was somewhat of a skeptic over that theory.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #35
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post
I've tried reversing the song with Fruity Loops, and that IS what it says.
I was stunned, because I was somewhat of a skeptic over that theory.
silverysights's Avatar silverysights
11-15-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booshee View Post
i smiled as well.

would've never known that was there, as i don't care enough to play songs backwards. interesting hidden message.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #36
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booshee View Post
i smiled as well.

would've never known that was there, as i don't care enough to play songs backwards. interesting hidden message.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply