Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
dumbwhat
07-11-2006, 04:57 PM

the overall point of this album is simple, while past tool albums have been about human evolution and reaching the next plain of enlightentment, as well as being above all this stupidness that is what every individual frets over, this album is about actually being a human being, these guys are gettin old and they are seeing the the finality of life, this album is about admiting that yes they believe in so much more but what it comes down to is they are just human,

vicarious.. yes i see how fucked up the world is but it turns me on just like everyone else, theres not much you can do about it

jambi.. yes im asshole to my loved ones at times, and i endulge in the pleasures of life, even though i know im capable of so much more

wings/10k... i cry to.. i have a mom to... im human just like you... i believe theres more that just a god.. but i pray if im wrong my mother gets what she deserves

the pot...im hypocrytical at times... ive been caught calling the kettle black..sure i dont beleive in god but i hope my mom goes to heaven??? yes im stubborn but im human

lost keys.. shit i lost my keys, just anyone could

Rosetta.. fuck i shit the bed

Intension.. listen to your momma and dadda

right in two .... im divided in this album i dont beleive in god but i preach about it, im scared and disgusted by the world to

viginti tres... 23 find out what it means suckers

looking back i may have been a little drunk when i wrote this but my point is strong
Old 07-11-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
The point of this album

the overall point of this album is simple, while past tool albums have been about human evolution and reaching the next plain of enlightentment, as well as being above all this stupidness that is what every individual frets over, this album is about actually being a human being, these guys are gettin old and they are seeing the the finality of life, this album is about admiting that yes they believe in so much more but what it comes down to is they are just human,

vicarious.. yes i see how fucked up the world is but it turns me on just like everyone else, theres not much you can do about it

jambi.. yes im asshole to my loved ones at times, and i endulge in the pleasures of life, even though i know im capable of so much more

wings/10k... i cry to.. i have a mom to... im human just like you... i believe theres more that just a god.. but i pray if im wrong my mother gets what she deserves

the pot...im hypocrytical at times... ive been caught calling the kettle black..sure i dont beleive in god but i hope my mom goes to heaven??? yes im stubborn but im human

right in two .... im divided in this album i dont beleive in god but i preach about it, im scared and disgusted by the world to

looking back i may have been a little drunk when i wrote this but my point is strong
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
SpiraMirabilis's Avatar SpiraMirabilis
07-12-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbwhat
Yes, the feeling you get is that they are just human, but don´t underestimate the power of human emotion. Songs like Right in Two have a huge impact on my thoughts and feelings. I think 10,000 days is as strong, or if not, stronger than the other albums in the ability to change to way we think of the world.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:46 AM   #2
apt-get --dist-upgrade

Bincount™: 5286
Re: The point of this album

Quote:
Yes, the feeling you get is that they are just human, but don´t underestimate the power of human emotion. Songs like Right in Two have a huge impact on my thoughts and feelings. I think 10,000 days is as strong, or if not, stronger than the other albums in the ability to change to way we think of the world.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
07-12-2006, 06:04 AM

Heh, I love your overimplified analisation... There's some truth in what you're saying, definitely...
Old 07-12-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Heh, I love your overimplified analisation... There's some truth in what you're saying, definitely...
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
07-12-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:

short but simple point of the album. well, you could be right on your thoughts as well as there could be several others of points in each song. thats is whats amazing about tools music. you can decide what YOU think its about, and it could mean everything thats in your imagination.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:46 AM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

Quote:

short but simple point of the album. well, you could be right on your thoughts as well as there could be several others of points in each song. thats is whats amazing about tools music. you can decide what YOU think its about, and it could mean everything thats in your imagination.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
07-12-2006, 09:04 AM

Lost keys = die verlorenen Schlüssel der Wahrnehmung (haven't got a clue what that is in English), Albert Hofmann thought that LSD shows you something real, that you couldn't see in the usual world and taking you to a higher state of mind.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:04 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Lost keys = die verlorenen Schlüssel der Wahrnehmung (haven't got a clue what that is in English), Albert Hofmann thought that LSD shows you something real, that you couldn't see in the usual world and taking you to a higher state of mind.
MoreTool's Avatar MoreTool
07-12-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21

die verlorenen Schlüssel der Wahrnehmung = the lost keys of the perception
Old 07-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21

die verlorenen Schlüssel der Wahrnehmung = the lost keys of the perception
07-13-2006, 03:14 AM

Quote:
they are just human,
They have said this throughout their career. They have always stressed that point.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:14 AM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
they are just human,
They have said this throughout their career. They have always stressed that point.
Akasha's Avatar Akasha
07-13-2006, 03:51 AM

I see the point of this album as tool testing their main message over the years. Do our fans think for themselves.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:51 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29

I see the point of this album as tool testing their main message over the years. Do our fans think for themselves.
erazorhead's Avatar erazorhead
07-13-2006, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha
this made me laugh.

imo...

aenema was about the purging of mind, body and world. lateralus depicted the spiritual conquest achievable by the human unshackled from social games and values.

10k is the re-integration, a return to a previous form, with the protaganist clutching at vanishing feelings of extacy and enlightenment. spiritual concepts remain but must be re-interprited in a more mundane way in order to co-exist with everyday physical reality. Feelings and emotions become more poignant, and one becomes aware of themselves, beginning to nurture their ego's despite what past experience has taught them. 10k is the come-down
Old 07-13-2006, 04:37 AM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha
this made me laugh.

imo...

aenema was about the purging of mind, body and world. lateralus depicted the spiritual conquest achievable by the human unshackled from social games and values.

10k is the re-integration, a return to a previous form, with the protaganist clutching at vanishing feelings of extacy and enlightenment. spiritual concepts remain but must be re-interprited in a more mundane way in order to co-exist with everyday physical reality. Feelings and emotions become more poignant, and one becomes aware of themselves, beginning to nurture their ego's despite what past experience has taught them. 10k is the come-down
07-13-2006, 01:11 PM

Its about wasting time...
watching junk TV, wasting 10,000 days in a comma, complaining, doing pointless activities like shitting the bed and killing monkeys...

Well perhaps not killing monkeys, that sounds quite fun!

Its like being retired.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:11 PM   #10
apt-get --dist-upgrade

Bincount™: 5286

Its about wasting time...
watching junk TV, wasting 10,000 days in a comma, complaining, doing pointless activities like shitting the bed and killing monkeys...

Well perhaps not killing monkeys, that sounds quite fun!

Its like being retired.
mike09's Avatar mike09
07-13-2006, 05:16 PM

i didnt like this analysis of the album at all.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #11
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

i didnt like this analysis of the album at all.
walkerw8
07-13-2006, 05:42 PM

I don't think anyone spent 10,000 days in a comma (or a coma either!)! She was paralyzed, that's not the same as being in a coma
Old 07-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

I don't think anyone spent 10,000 days in a comma (or a coma either!)! She was paralyzed, that's not the same as being in a coma
07-13-2006, 07:00 PM

oh but there are sequences. Vicarious and Jambi. Part One and Part two obviously. From Lipan Conjuring to Lost Keys to Rosetta Stoned. From Intension to Right in Two. Think of it as several "mini-series" each telling a different piece of the larger story. It can be such a beautiful thing. The pieces fit. Of course the meanings of the song differ. That is because the meaning of Life differs from one situation to the next.

Cheers.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:00 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

oh but there are sequences. Vicarious and Jambi. Part One and Part two obviously. From Lipan Conjuring to Lost Keys to Rosetta Stoned. From Intension to Right in Two. Think of it as several "mini-series" each telling a different piece of the larger story. It can be such a beautiful thing. The pieces fit. Of course the meanings of the song differ. That is because the meaning of Life differs from one situation to the next.

Cheers.
07-13-2006, 07:40 PM

Oh. silly me. Well, I think that we've all learned that it's rather quite difficult to really get what some one means, a lot of times by reading words on message boards. You were talking about musically, and I was more looking at it lyrically. See what I mean. It's Tool, and with thie band we CAN have our cake and eat it too, so put that in youe pipe and smoke it. ;)

This is not directed at you Fredy Brown, but when I hear about interviews from Maynard saying he was "expressing disgust and disappointment that people haven't understood Tool's message or at least haven't done anything about it." And then I come here, a haven of TooL fans and see all the name calling and F-this and F-that, and a certain hostile tendency to blow off other people's opinions....I can't say that I disagree with Maynard in that regard. If TooL fans specifically don't get it, and we hear the message...

Last edited by walkerw8; 07-13-2006 at 07:42 PM..
Old 07-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Oh. silly me. Well, I think that we've all learned that it's rather quite difficult to really get what some one means, a lot of times by reading words on message boards. You were talking about musically, and I was more looking at it lyrically. See what I mean. It's Tool, and with thie band we CAN have our cake and eat it too, so put that in youe pipe and smoke it. ;)

This is not directed at you Fredy Brown, but when I hear about interviews from Maynard saying he was "expressing disgust and disappointment that people haven't understood Tool's message or at least haven't done anything about it." And then I come here, a haven of TooL fans and see all the name calling and F-this and F-that, and a certain hostile tendency to blow off other people's opinions....I can't say that I disagree with Maynard in that regard. If TooL fans specifically don't get it, and we hear the message...

Last edited by walkerw8; 07-13-2006 at 07:42 PM..
XyuTe's Avatar XyuTe
07-14-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you seem to have summed up quite a bit about the album better than a lot of people have managed. Not saying that you're definitely 'right' or anything, just that I can connect with what you wrote a lot.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Yeah, you seem to have summed up quite a bit about the album better than a lot of people have managed. Not saying that you're definitely 'right' or anything, just that I can connect with what you wrote a lot.
AMF
07-14-2006, 07:48 PM

Excellent post man, I like that a lot.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #16
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Excellent post man, I like that a lot.
asdf25
07-14-2006, 08:56 PM

Pretty good... especially "Rosetta.. fuck i shit the bed", that's exactly what I got out of it too. This album's very different from all the other albums... more of a sense of resignation... all the others were more looking to the future optimistically, albeit with immense rage about the present... but as they say, anger is productive... complaining about monkeys and vampires, not so much.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Pretty good... especially "Rosetta.. fuck i shit the bed", that's exactly what I got out of it too. This album's very different from all the other albums... more of a sense of resignation... all the others were more looking to the future optimistically, albeit with immense rage about the present... but as they say, anger is productive... complaining about monkeys and vampires, not so much.
this.anna's Avatar this.anna
07-16-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Hmmm. I don't know if I agree with all of your interpretations, but I think you are getting the gist of what you mean across. The uncertainty of everyone, including Maynard. How everyone has some kind of belief that has two sides. How everyone wants to be self-righteous but at some point, has questioned or gone against it.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #18
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 261

Quote:

Hmmm. I don't know if I agree with all of your interpretations, but I think you are getting the gist of what you mean across. The uncertainty of everyone, including Maynard. How everyone has some kind of belief that has two sides. How everyone wants to be self-righteous but at some point, has questioned or gone against it.
ÆmorphousEnigma's Avatar ÆmorphousEnigma
07-16-2006, 05:41 PM

The point of this album is epitomized by the statement:

"Goddamn, shit the bed."

/end discussion.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #19
Banned.

Bincount™: 355

The point of this album is epitomized by the statement:

"Goddamn, shit the bed."

/end discussion.
Crowl's Avatar Crowl
07-16-2006, 08:10 PM

id say the albums theme is to put down the pipe and open your eyes
Old 07-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

id say the albums theme is to put down the pipe and open your eyes
thepatient_10k
07-16-2006, 08:27 PM

the point of it is to listen to it and not overanalyze it. get with the program.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #21

Bincount™: 9

the point of it is to listen to it and not overanalyze it. get with the program.
UFOtofu's Avatar UFOtofu
07-17-2006, 08:49 AM

Nice perspective. And an equally intelligent summary.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #22

Bincount™: 24

Nice perspective. And an equally intelligent summary.
UFOtofu's Avatar UFOtofu
07-21-2006, 11:05 AM

Especially, the ONE line you chose for Rosetta. I like to interpret that as, "I've soiled the foundation for my dreams" metaphorically, of course. And opening with "God damn"...well, self explanatory. Cool.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #23

Bincount™: 24

Especially, the ONE line you chose for Rosetta. I like to interpret that as, "I've soiled the foundation for my dreams" metaphorically, of course. And opening with "God damn"...well, self explanatory. Cool.
Scrunzset's Avatar Scrunzset
07-22-2006, 10:47 AM

It's about religion... well, more base... I guess "faith". It's about how faith brings out the absolute best and worst in people.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

It's about religion... well, more base... I guess "faith". It's about how faith brings out the absolute best and worst in people.
07-23-2006, 04:13 PM

lol..they are not THAT old
Old 07-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

lol..they are not THAT old
undertoes
07-23-2006, 06:31 PM

you're all wrong. the simple purpose of this album was to make maynerd and co. more money, you silly silly people
Old 07-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #26
Banned.

Bincount™: 77

you're all wrong. the simple purpose of this album was to make maynerd and co. more money, you silly silly people
07-24-2006, 05:18 AM

^ well, yeah! But besides that?

(Please not the tone of sarcasm in my voice...)
Old 07-24-2006, 05:18 AM   #27
Banned.

^ well, yeah! But besides that?

(Please not the tone of sarcasm in my voice...)
lizbiz
07-24-2006, 05:59 AM

Nice post, I agree, oversimplified, but you got the right idea.

Just to add to your point, YES they are human, that's why they specifically took individual portrait shots for the album. The first time they've ever clearly showed their faces in their art.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:59 AM   #28

Bincount™: 1

Nice post, I agree, oversimplified, but you got the right idea.

Just to add to your point, YES they are human, that's why they specifically took individual portrait shots for the album. The first time they've ever clearly showed their faces in their art.
teknofear's Avatar teknofear
07-25-2006, 10:33 AM

Agreed about the re-integration...

But I'm also thinking more along the lines of multiple facets of existence, prior to any current realm, along with the trancendence (sp?) and transitional evolution of one's soul.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

Agreed about the re-integration...

But I'm also thinking more along the lines of multiple facets of existence, prior to any current realm, along with the trancendence (sp?) and transitional evolution of one's soul.
Sloobag
07-27-2006, 05:46 PM

The album doesn't mean anything... they got lazy and threw a bunch of random songs together. GET OVER IT!
Old 07-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #30
Level 2 - Poster

The album doesn't mean anything... they got lazy and threw a bunch of random songs together. GET OVER IT!
07-27-2006, 07:23 PM

^ I hate it when they do that!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #31
Banned.

^ I hate it when they do that!
inSin's Avatar inSin
07-27-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloobag
me too iota
Old 07-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloobag
me too iota
07-28-2006, 07:39 AM

God, I know! I feel like shit liking something that the band didn't take their time doing, you know?

:P
Old 07-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #33
Banned.

God, I know! I feel like shit liking something that the band didn't take their time doing, you know?

:P
paraflux
07-28-2006, 10:01 AM

whatever. since all you guys must have been at the rehearsals and whatnot, I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more than anyone else.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:01 AM   #34
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

whatever. since all you guys must have been at the rehearsals and whatnot, I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more than anyone else.
07-28-2006, 03:34 PM

i·ro·ny (r-n, r-)
n. pl. i·ro·nies

1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
2. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
3. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #35
Banned.

i·ro·ny (r-n, r-)
n. pl. i·ro·nies

1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
2. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
3. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
07-28-2006, 05:47 PM

i·o·ta (o-t, r-)

1. A registered member of the online opinion forum of the unofficial website of the metal band Tool, who used to be a good poster, but with nowadays has come to the conclusion that it's better to have an image as a spammer, a Hip-Hop listener and a not native speaking American.
2. The reincarnation of Nosferatu.
3. Cheese.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

i·o·ta (o-t, r-)

1. A registered member of the online opinion forum of the unofficial website of the metal band Tool, who used to be a good poster, but with nowadays has come to the conclusion that it's better to have an image as a spammer, a Hip-Hop listener and a not native speaking American.
2. The reincarnation of Nosferatu.
3. Cheese.
njm's Avatar njm
07-29-2006, 01:09 AM

What about the humuor!? To quote a cool aussie singer (Ash Grunwald) "Stop taking life so seriously" (repeat 5 times!). There is a lot of humour in all tool albums, which is sometimes missed by people looking to the spiritual realizations hinted at in other parts of the album. laughter, enjoyment of life, true humour are all defining features of "enlightened ones" anyway.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:09 AM   #37
njm

What about the humuor!? To quote a cool aussie singer (Ash Grunwald) "Stop taking life so seriously" (repeat 5 times!). There is a lot of humour in all tool albums, which is sometimes missed by people looking to the spiritual realizations hinted at in other parts of the album. laughter, enjoyment of life, true humour are all defining features of "enlightened ones" anyway.
07-29-2006, 07:35 AM

iota
One entry found for iota.
Main Entry: io·ta
Pronunciation: I-'O-t&
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek iOta, of Semitic origin; akin to Hebrew yOdh yod
1 : the 9th letter of the Greek alphabet -- see ALPHABET table
2 : an infinitesimal amount : JOT <did not show an iota of interest>

I have a fan!

You mean the reincarnation of Shirley Temple...
Old 07-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #38
Banned.

iota
One entry found for iota.
Main Entry: io·ta
Pronunciation: I-'O-t&
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek iOta, of Semitic origin; akin to Hebrew yOdh yod
1 : the 9th letter of the Greek alphabet -- see ALPHABET table
2 : an infinitesimal amount : JOT <did not show an iota of interest>

I have a fan!

You mean the reincarnation of Shirley Temple...
07-29-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njm

;)
Old 07-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #39
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njm

;)
clarity.'s Avatar clarity.
07-29-2006, 12:52 PM

I know the point of this album! I can explain it in one character:

$
Old 07-29-2006, 12:52 PM   #40
a moon full of stars
Suicide Booth ID: 23

Bincount™: 6220

I know the point of this album! I can explain it in one character: