Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Nong's Avatar Nong
04-06-2008, 02:14 PM

Hey Rolo, did you ever watch that Thunderbolts of the Gods video I posted for you in the Vicarious DVD thread?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #161
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: New Album

Hey Rolo, did you ever watch that Thunderbolts of the Gods video I posted for you in the Vicarious DVD thread?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Master_Of_Nothing
04-06-2008, 07:06 PM

who the fuck is Rush?

just kidding

But i still believe that anything more technical than what Adam does would ruin the songs. Its a matter of finding the balance between all the intruments. No one part stands out most of the time. The music is a joint effort, not just Adam thrashing the guitar. Know what i mean?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #162
On Probation

Bincount™: 189

who the fuck is Rush?

just kidding

But i still believe that anything more technical than what Adam does would ruin the songs. Its a matter of finding the balance between all the intruments. No one part stands out most of the time. The music is a joint effort, not just Adam thrashing the guitar. Know what i mean?
Master_Of_Nothing
04-06-2008, 08:11 PM

All Tool Albums are Experimental.

10k days was experimental because i don't believe i've heard anything similar guitarwise to Lost Keys, Intension, Rossetta Stoned, Or Wings 1 and 2 in any of the previous albums.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #163
On Probation

All Tool Albums are Experimental.

10k days was experimental because i don't believe i've heard anything similar guitarwise to Lost Keys, Intension, Rossetta Stoned, Or Wings 1 and 2 in any of the previous albums.
Master_Of_Nothing
04-06-2008, 08:20 PM

Uncreative in the world, yeah
Uncreative in Tool, No
Even if he just plucked the A string throughout the whole song it'd be creative for Tool
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #164
On Probation

Uncreative in the world, yeah
Uncreative in Tool, No
Even if he just plucked the A string throughout the whole song it'd be creative for Tool
Master_Of_Nothing
04-06-2008, 08:26 PM

Almost a burn on Tool. But not quite. I'm serious here.
Even in Dream Theatre or any other band, if they just played one string they'd be incredibly creative, from the guitar playing perspective, just because they've never done it before.

Burn Fucker Burn!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #165
On Probation

Almost a burn on Tool. But not quite. I'm serious here.
Even in Dream Theatre or any other band, if they just played one string they'd be incredibly creative, from the guitar playing perspective, just because they've never done it before.

Burn Fucker Burn!
Master_Of_Nothing
04-06-2008, 08:35 PM

Its quite true though. except its less so in Tools case cause i'm sure they actually did that in Lateralus
Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #166
On Probation

Its quite true though. except its less so in Tools case cause i'm sure they actually did that in Lateralus
Master_Of_Nothing
04-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Have a look at the semi official tab. I think it has a label
<<Mindblowing!! <<Sarcasm
Old 04-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #167
On Probation

Have a look at the semi official tab. I think it has a label
<<Mindblowing!! <<Sarcasm
Master_Of_Nothing
04-06-2008, 08:56 PM

In fact it is quite hard. My four year old cousin played it when i handed him my guitar, so he is pretty good.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #168
On Probation

In fact it is quite hard. My four year old cousin played it when i handed him my guitar, so he is pretty good.
Master_Of_Nothing
04-06-2008, 09:00 PM

nah its pretty hard

Note: The above two posts had sarcasm in it. If you are allergic to it, induce vomiting and call the local poisons helpline
Old 04-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #169
On Probation

nah its pretty hard

Note: The above two posts had sarcasm in it. If you are allergic to it, induce vomiting and call the local poisons helpline
Master_Of_Nothing
04-06-2008, 09:09 PM

Alcohol is a poison. Induce vomiting and call the AA/listen to the 13th Step album
Old 04-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #170
On Probation

Alcohol is a poison. Induce vomiting and call the AA/listen to the 13th Step album
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
04-06-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nong View Post
Yeah, i check out the first 10 minutes of it. Interesting stuff. I'm beeing a little busy so i didn't have the time yet to view it all. But i will eventually.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #171
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Yeah, i check out the first 10 minutes of it. Interesting stuff. I'm beeing a little busy so i didn't have the time yet to view it all. But i will eventually.
04-07-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody27 View Post
I like how everyone is so sure that there is only 12 notes, or 7 notees and 5 semitones in existence...what you should of said was there are only 12 notes in the Western scale. Eastern music explores tones between semitones, for example the sitar, contains notes between notes, i'm not sure of the correct number of notes on eastern scales, but just because europeans divided their music up into 12 notes doesn't mean that's how many notes there are. Every slight change in frequency of a wavelength is a different note, if you look at it from a worldly point of view. so there is technically an infinite amount of notes to be explored, but much less that can be differentiated by the human ear.
Well...I'm Western. I would like to see some more detail on the difference in the Eastern scales though. I've just never heard H notes or B.5 harmonics. Pretty interesting though.

I also don't think Tool is an "experimental" band. They do what they do in the hard prog rock format and they do it well, with no apologies.

Tool (and others) play a single open string lots of times.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:50 AM   #172
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I like how everyone is so sure that there is only 12 notes, or 7 notees and 5 semitones in existence...what you should of said was there are only 12 notes in the Western scale. Eastern music explores tones between semitones, for example the sitar, contains notes between notes, i'm not sure of the correct number of notes on eastern scales, but just because europeans divided their music up into 12 notes doesn't mean that's how many notes there are. Every slight change in frequency of a wavelength is a different note, if you look at it from a worldly point of view. so there is technically an infinite amount of notes to be explored, but much less that can be differentiated by the human ear.
Well...I'm Western. I would like to see some more detail on the difference in the Eastern scales though. I've just never heard H notes or B.5 harmonics. Pretty interesting though.

I also don't think Tool is an "experimental" band. They do what they do in the hard prog rock format and they do it well, with no apologies.

Tool (and others) play a single open string lots of times.
04-07-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
The opening clean riff in Lateralus is from the Rush song Test for Echo. I'm pretty sure it was a tribute of some sort.

Go to 1:50 of the video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=deUirMqTV6A
That friggin pisses me off...
Old 04-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #173
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
The opening clean riff in Lateralus is from the Rush song Test for Echo. I'm pretty sure it was a tribute of some sort.

Go to 1:50 of the video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=deUirMqTV6A
That friggin pisses me off...
04-07-2008, 05:40 AM

I accidentally ripped off that riff yesterday :(
Old 04-07-2008, 05:40 AM   #174
Illuminator of Lightitude
Suicide Booth ID: 20

Location: Van Diemens Land Penis Length: 1.4 inches Vagina Capacity: 7.2 inches
Bincount™: 21769

I accidentally ripped off that riff yesterday :(
04-07-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
Holy shit.

Well I would hope it's a tribute... not even I want to believe that Tool is stupid enough collectively to blatantly rip off an internationally famous band like Rush.
If they ripped it off, at least it was from a song that nobody fucking cares about. From an album nobody fucking cares about.

Well, except me. I think Test for Echo is a passable album, good song... but Driven is clearly the best song on that album. Though the riff should go back to Motorhead.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #175
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 336

Quote:
Holy shit.

Well I would hope it's a tribute... not even I want to believe that Tool is stupid enough collectively to blatantly rip off an internationally famous band like Rush.
If they ripped it off, at least it was from a song that nobody fucking cares about. From an album nobody fucking cares about.

Well, except me. I think Test for Echo is a passable album, good song... but Driven is clearly the best song on that album. Though the riff should go back to Motorhead.
04-07-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schema View Post
Though the riff should go back to Motorhead.
Now THAT is a band one would not easily mention in a Tool forum...
Old 04-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #176
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schema View Post
Though the riff should go back to Motorhead.
04-07-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Uh, yeah, western music explores that as well with pitch bends and vibrato. Tones and semitones are split up the way that they are because they work best with the principles of compositin and music theory.

You fail, completely and utterly. Get off my internet.
it seems we can't discuss tool or music without having an online alpha male pissing contest, so back to what i was saying, you can't just lob every note that isn't on the western scale into the categories of vibrato and pitch bends. So these godly universal principles of music theory you speak of don't allow things to exist outside the 12 notes and vibrato? I wish it were that simple Professor Rivek.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #177
On Probation

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Uh, yeah, western music explores that as well with pitch bends and vibrato. Tones and semitones are split up the way that they are because they work best with the principles of compositin and music theory.

You fail, completely and utterly. Get off my internet.
it seems we can't discuss tool or music without having an online alpha male pissing contest, so back to what i was saying, you can't just lob every note that isn't on the western scale into the categories of vibrato and pitch bends. So these godly universal principles of music theory you speak of don't allow things to exist outside the 12 notes and vibrato? I wish it were that simple Professor Rivek.
Schema's Avatar Schema
04-08-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Well, hey, weird shit happens at t.d.n.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #178
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Well, hey, weird shit happens at t.d.n.
04-08-2008, 04:30 AM

The Western scale is comprised of 12 notes and the music is played in half notes.

The Eastern scale is comprised of 24 notes and the music is played in quarter notes.

Western music is much more popular and the basis of this discussion (being that Tool uses the Western scale).
Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 AM   #179
Level 8 - Vociferous

The Western scale is comprised of 12 notes and the music is played in half notes.

The Eastern scale is comprised of 24 notes and the music is played in quarter notes.

Western music is much more popular and the basis of this discussion (being that Tool uses the Western scale).
04-08-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Uh, it is simple, you twat. We're talking about music theory as it relates to guitar at the moment. Do you know a fucking thing about how a guitar is set up? Every fret is set at the exact distance to change pitch by one semitone. Therefore the entire thing is set up for the principles of music theory as defined in scholarly circles, therefore your random ramblings about "BUT THERE ARE OTHER HERTZ BESIDES THE ONES WITH LETTER NAMES" don't make a fucking difference.

But despite that, I'll bite: Okay. Since you know so much, why don't you explain to us exactly how eastern music can perfectly reproduce every single one of these frequencies without some kind of defined and unified system? And while you're at it, care to explain why there are scales found incredibly commonly in eastern music that fits perfectly with the 12 semitone system?

Seriously, what a fucking moron.
If you were to bother and read what I said, I never said that Eastern scales reproduce every frequency you dolt. And I never said anything about not having to have a defined and unified system either, I just said that there are an infinite amount of frequencies to be reproduced, and yes we can only use the ones that are in range for the human ear to pickup and for convenience reasons divide them up into simple little sets. I've been playin guitar for almost a decade dude, i don't have to prove myself online to a bunch of obsessed tool nerds, i've cut heads with bb king, and i tell ya the ability to read or write music, or any music knowledge at all isn't really relevant when you're speakin your soul through your instrument. Like adam jones once said in an interview, something to the effect of - If you wanna learn scales and music theory then go to GTI (guitar tech school), but if you wanna start a band, then start a band.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:43 AM   #180
On Probation

Quote:
Uh, it is simple, you twat. We're talking about music theory as it relates to guitar at the moment. Do you know a fucking thing about how a guitar is set up? Every fret is set at the exact distance to change pitch by one semitone. Therefore the entire thing is set up for the principles of music theory as defined in scholarly circles, therefore your random ramblings about "BUT THERE ARE OTHER HERTZ BESIDES THE ONES WITH LETTER NAMES" don't make a fucking difference.

But despite that, I'll bite: Okay. Since you know so much, why don't you explain to us exactly how eastern music can perfectly reproduce every single one of these frequencies without some kind of defined and unified system? And while you're at it, care to explain why there are scales found incredibly commonly in eastern music that fits perfectly with the 12 semitone system?

Seriously, what a fucking moron.
If you were to bother and read what I said, I never said that Eastern scales reproduce every frequency you dolt. And I never said anything about not having to have a defined and unified system either, I just said that there are an infinite amount of frequencies to be reproduced, and yes we can only use the ones that are in range for the human ear to pickup and for convenience reasons divide them up into simple little sets. I've been playin guitar for almost a decade dude, i don't have to prove myself online to a bunch of obsessed tool nerds, i've cut heads with bb king, and i tell ya the ability to read or write music, or any music knowledge at all isn't really relevant when you're speakin your soul through your instrument. Like adam jones once said in an interview, something to the effect of - If you wanna learn scales and music theory then go to GTI (guitar tech school), but if you wanna start a band, then start a band.
Kody27
04-08-2008, 08:02 AM

jesus christ, i'm sorry i didn't realize i was dealing with someone who posts over 14 times average a day on this site alone....you know, there is a real world out there where things happen and it makes a difference so take the plug out of the back of your head neo and free your mind haha...seriously though, why is it important to be an online forum celebrity these days? isn't that what vicarious is about, stop living your life watching tv, living life through imaginary drama, unreal fantasies, get out there and do something man, if you put half the effort into doing something in the real world that you put into posting on this site, i bet you could come up with something to help all mankind...but i bet you'll put more creative energy into making me look like an inferior forum poster. Great job!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #181
On Probation

jesus christ, i'm sorry i didn't realize i was dealing with someone who posts over 14 times average a day on this site alone....you know, there is a real world out there where things happen and it makes a difference so take the plug out of the back of your head neo and free your mind haha...seriously though, why is it important to be an online forum celebrity these days? isn't that what vicarious is about, stop living your life watching tv, living life through imaginary drama, unreal fantasies, get out there and do something man, if you put half the effort into doing something in the real world that you put into posting on this site, i bet you could come up with something to help all mankind...but i bet you'll put more creative energy into making me look like an inferior forum poster. Great job!
gjamison27's Avatar gjamison27
04-08-2008, 08:08 AM

Werd.

The human auditory system is capable of hearing frequencies between 60hz and 60,000hz. This would be perfect hearing. I think most people can hear 80-20k or something like that.

Notes and frequency are two different things, however. A "C" note can be played at 90hz and again at 10,000hz. This is where octaves come in to play. A limited number of notes played at different octaves which give us higher and lower pitch.

That must have been an AMAZING experience to play with the King, I would love to hear more about it.

I would also like to hear more of the Eastern Scale and its details.

Music theory has nothing to do with being able to play great music, all you have to do is feel it.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #182
Level 8 - Vociferous

Werd.

The human auditory system is capable of hearing frequencies between 60hz and 60,000hz. This would be perfect hearing. I think most people can hear 80-20k or something like that.

Notes and frequency are two different things, however. A "C" note can be played at 90hz and again at 10,000hz. This is where octaves come in to play. A limited number of notes played at different octaves which give us higher and lower pitch.

That must have been an AMAZING experience to play with the King, I would love to hear more about it.

Music theory has nothing to do with being able to play great music, all you have to do is feel it.
04-08-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
While Rivek and Inner can be uneccesarily harsh at times, be wary that you don't expend an equal amount of time and energy doing the same thing...thinking you're doing something different.

This is the real world. This forum exists in the real world and we're all really participating in it. Don't do what you tell others not to do...

There is nothing we can do to save humanity.

Here is the proof...

http://www.talismanicidols.org/video.html
Old 04-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #183
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
While Rivek and Inner can be uneccesarily harsh at times, be wary that you don't expend an equal amount of time and energy doing the same thing...thinking you're doing something different.

This is the real world. This forum exists in the real world and we're all really participating in it. Don't do what you tell others not to do...

Here is the proof...

04-08-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjamison27 View Post
Werd.

Well I guess i should have reiterated my idea, thank you for the elaboration. As far as different "notes" go, before you reach an octave of the first note again, there are an infinte amount of frequencies between octaves even, it just depends on how far you break it down, now as for being able to actually hear the difference in a 90hz wave and a 90.00000000000001hz wave, that's a different story, but it exist nonetheless, like atoms, neutrons, quarks, eventually you'll come to a point where it seems impossible to break it down past the atoms that are making the sound vibrations in the first place...and i guess i was wrong about the western scale not reaching those notes, it's just harder to reach those same exact semi-semi-tones each time consistently without a different system of division between frequencies, i.e. Far Eastern and Middle Eastern scales, and music can't be divided into 2 halves like western and eastern. Just because most schools of music start teaching at the Bach era and beyond doensn't mean there's nothing else out there, there are thousands of styles of music existing right now in third world countries that no one has even heard of, that include the most random and ridiculous combination of frequencies notes and scales which would be unheard of with a Western head point of view. I'm not an extremely knowledgeable person on these matters but i do know what i've seen and heard and things that have ripped me out of my western music thought pattern. on a more western note though, jammin with BB was scary, it was his 80th birthday on beale street at his club in memphis and we jammed about 45 minutes playin straight up 12 bar blues and slide guitar, in B flat by the way, i guess that's what bb's vocal range is in these days. I have video and audio for it, and pictures of us on myspace if you'd like http://www.myspace.com/kodylovell
Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #184
On Probation

Quote:
Werd.

Well I guess i should have reiterated my idea, thank you for the elaboration. As far as different "notes" go, before you reach an octave of the first note again, there are an infinte amount of frequencies between octaves even, it just depends on how far you break it down, now as for being able to actually hear the difference in a 90hz wave and a 90.00000000000001hz wave, that's a different story, but it exist nonetheless, like atoms, neutrons, quarks, eventually you'll come to a point where it seems impossible to break it down past the atoms that are making the sound vibrations in the first place...and i guess i was wrong about the western scale not reaching those notes, it's just harder to reach those same exact semi-semi-tones each time consistently without a different system of division between frequencies, i.e. Far Eastern and Middle Eastern scales, and music can't be divided into 2 halves like western and eastern. Just because most schools of music start teaching at the Bach era and beyond doensn't mean there's nothing else out there, there are thousands of styles of music existing right now in third world countries that no one has even heard of, that include the most random and ridiculous combination of frequencies notes and scales which would be unheard of with a Western head point of view. I'm not an extremely knowledgeable person on these matters but i do know what i've seen and heard and things that have ripped me out of my western music thought pattern. on a more western note though, jammin with BB was scary, it was his 80th birthday on beale street at his club in memphis and we jammed about 45 minutes playin straight up 12 bar blues and slide guitar, in B flat by the way, i guess that's what bb's vocal range is in these days. I have video and audio for it, and pictures of us on myspace if you'd like http://www.myspace.com/kodylovell
Alex in Chains's Avatar Alex in Chains
04-08-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
My buddy wrote the clean riff in Lateralus two years before the record came out.

He sings and sux on the geetar...
I used to warm up with the outro to "Vicarious" for years, always thinking it would be cool in a song. Then "Vicarious" came out. No great loss, as it's not terribly inventive, but I was kind of awed that Adam Jones wrote the same riff I did.
<ru5ty> wat
Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #185
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

Quote:
My buddy wrote the clean riff in Lateralus two years before the record came out.

He sings and sux on the geetar...
I used to warm up with the outro to "Vicarious" for years, always thinking it would be cool in a song. Then "Vicarious" came out. No great loss, as it's not terribly inventive, but I was kind of awed that Adam Jones wrote the same riff I did.
<ru5ty> wat
gjamison27's Avatar gjamison27
04-08-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Don't think I'm arguing with you. Just adding missing information and I see your point.

I was pointing out that notes and frequency are seperate. Different frequency doesn't denote a different note, therefore, there isn't an unlimited number of different notes.

Each note can be played at each frequency. So you could run the scale at 90hz and again at 90.000000001hz.

And BB King himself could give a shit either way, as long as it feels good :-)
Old 04-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #186
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Don't think I'm arguing with you. Just adding missing information and I see your point.

I was pointing out that notes and frequency are seperate. Different frequency doesn't denote a different note, therefore, there isn't an unlimited number of different notes.

Each note can be played at each frequency. So you could run the scale at 90hz and again at 90.000000001hz.

And BB King himself could give a shit either way, as long as it feels good :-)
04-08-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that Adam bends the notes on his guitar to achieve intervals that appear in other systems of music? I'm pretty sure that would take extremely good pitch.
Well, if you play a given tone -- let's just say you play an E on your guitar, and you bend up half a step to F -- you bent through the Fd (F half-flat) between F anf Fb (E). To actually stop on it would take either great hearing or great skill.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #187
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that Adam bends the notes on his guitar to achieve intervals that appear in other systems of music? I'm pretty sure that would take extremely good pitch.
Well, if you play a given tone -- let's just say you play an E on your guitar, and you bend up half a step to F -- you bent through the Fd (F half-flat) between F anf Fb (E). To actually stop on it would take either great hearing or great skill.
04-08-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I want to take issue with your terminology; the music is played in half-tones and quarter-tones, respectively, last I checked...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #188
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

I want to take issue with your terminology; the music is played in half-tones and quarter-tones, respectively, last I checked...
04-08-2008, 09:14 AM

Half note, whole note, quarter note?

Tones are relative to intervals and scales.

Note frequency (hertz)
In all technicality, music can be composed of notes at any arbitrary frequency. Since the physical causes of music are vibrations of mechanical systems, they are often measured in hertz (Hz), with 1 Hz = 1 complete vibration per second. For historical and other reasons, especially in Western music, only twelve notes of fixed frequencies are used. These fixed frequencies are mathematically related to each other, and are defined around the central note, A4. The current "standard pitch" or modern "concert pitch" for this note is 440 Hz, although this varies in actual practice (see History of pitch standards).

The note-naming convention specifies a letter, any accidentals (sharps/flats), and an octave number. Any note is an integer of half-steps away from middle A (A4). Let this distance be denoted n. If the note is above A4, then n is positive; if it is below A4, then n is negative. The frequency of the note (f) (assuming equal temperament) is then:

f = 2n/12 × 440 Hz
For example, one can find the frequency of C5, the first C above A4. There are 3 half-steps between A4 and C5 (A4 → A♯4 → B4 → C5), and the note is above A4, so n = +3. The note's frequency is:

f = 23/12 × 440 Hz ≈ 523.2511 Hz.
To find the frequency of a note below A4, the value of n is negative. For example, the F below A4 is F4. There are 4 half-steps (A4 → A♭4 → G4 → G♭4 → F4), and the note is below A4, so n = −4. The note's frequency is:

f = 2−4/12 × 440 Hz ≈ 349.2290 Hz.
Finally, it can be seen from this formula that octaves automatically yield factors of two times the original frequency, since n is therefore a multiple of 12 (12k, where k is the number of octaves up or down), and so the formula reduces to:

f = 212k/12 × 440 Hz = 2k × 440 Hz,
yielding a factor of 2. In fact, this is the means by which this formula is derived, combined with the notion of equally-spaced intervals.

The distance of an equally tempered semitone is divided into 100 cents. So 1200 cents are equal to one octave — a frequency ratio of 2:1. This means that a cent is precisely equal to the 1200th root of 2, which is approximately 1.0005777895

For use with the MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) standard, a frequency mapping is defined by:

For notes in an A440 equal temperament, this formula delivers the standard MIDI note number. Any other frequencies fill the space between the whole numbers evenly. This allows MIDI instruments to be tuned very accurately in any microtuning scale, including non-western traditional tunings.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #189
Level 8 - Vociferous

Note frequency (hertz)
In all technicality, music can be composed of notes at any arbitrary frequency. Since the physical causes of music are vibrations of mechanical systems, they are often measured in hertz (Hz), with 1 Hz = 1 complete vibration per second. For historical and other reasons, especially in Western music, only twelve notes of fixed frequencies are used. These fixed frequencies are mathematically related to each other, and are defined around the central note, A4. The current "standard pitch" or modern "concert pitch" for this note is 440 Hz, although this varies in actual practice (see History of pitch standards).

The note-naming convention specifies a letter, any accidentals (sharps/flats), and an octave number. Any note is an integer of half-steps away from middle A (A4). Let this distance be denoted n. If the note is above A4, then n is positive; if it is below A4, then n is negative. The frequency of the note (f) (assuming equal temperament) is then:

f = 2n/12 × 440 Hz
For example, one can find the frequency of C5, the first C above A4. There are 3 half-steps between A4 and C5 (A4 → A♯4 → B4 → C5), and the note is above A4, so n = +3. The note's frequency is:

To find the frequency of a note below A4, the value of n is negative. For example, the F below A4 is F4. There are 4 half-steps (A4 → A♭4 → G4 → G♭4 → F4), and the note is below A4, so n = −4. The note's frequency is:

Finally, it can be seen from this formula that octaves automatically yield factors of two times the original frequency, since n is therefore a multiple of 12 (12k, where k is the number of octaves up or down), and so the formula reduces to:

yielding a factor of 2. In fact, this is the means by which this formula is derived, combined with the notion of equally-spaced intervals.

The distance of an equally tempered semitone is divided into 100 cents. So 1200 cents are equal to one octave — a frequency ratio of 2:1. This means that a cent is precisely equal to the 1200th root of 2, which is approximately 1.0005777895

For use with the MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) standard, a frequency mapping is defined by:

For notes in an A440 equal temperament, this formula delivers the standard MIDI note number. Any other frequencies fill the space between the whole numbers evenly. This allows MIDI instruments to be tuned very accurately in any microtuning scale, including non-western traditional tunings.
04-08-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Last I checked, they referred to length of the note. Half-tone=semitone=half-step =

E->F->F#->G->G#->A->A#...

Quarter-tone=half a semitone=quarter-step =
E->Fd->F->Gdb->Gb->Gd->G->Adb...

Quote:

Note frequency (hertz)

f = 2n/12 × 440 Hz

Lots of information, quite an interesting read... Thanks. I'm a bit behind on my knowledge of some of this.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #190
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Last I checked, they referred to length of the note. Half-tone=semitone=half-step =

E->F->F#->G->G#->A->A#...

Quarter-tone=half a semitone=quarter-step =
E->Fd->F->Gdb->Gb->Gd->G->Adb...

Quote:

Note frequency (hertz)

f = 2n/12 × 440 Hz

Lots of information, quite an interesting read... Thanks. I'm a bit behind on my knowledge of some of this.
04-08-2008, 09:28 AM

You're right, they do. I was referring to whole step, half step, quarter step and my verbiage was wrong.

A - A flat = half step (note interval)

A - B = whole step

So apparently the Eastern Scale recognizes A - x - A flat. Whereas x = quarter step (note interval)

Anyone know what this note might be?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #191
Level 8 - Vociferous

You're right, they do. I was referring to whole step, half step, quarter step and my verbiage was wrong.

A - B = whole step

So apparently the Eastern Scale recognizes A - x - A flat. Whereas x = quarter step (note interval)

04-08-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:

A - B = whole step

It's referred to as A-half-flat and is represented by Ad, or with a reversed flat-sign in front of it. The image also displays half-sharp, sharp-and-a-half, and flat-and-a-half.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #192
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

A - B = whole step

It's referred to as A-half-flat and is represented by Ad, or with a reversed flat-sign in front of it. The image also displays half-sharp, sharp-and-a-half, and flat-and-a-half.
04-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
It'd probably be just a different method of notation entirely...
It's possible... it's not something I know much about. I just know the basics of it. I'm just basing this off what I've read... which is little.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #193
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
It'd probably be just a different method of notation entirely...
It's possible... it's not something I know much about. I just know the basics of it. I'm just basing this off what I've read... which is little.
04-08-2008, 09:40 AM

Which I guess is Kodys' point. Whats between A and A 1/2 flat and whats between that and so on...

Valid but irrelevant to the East and the West :-O
Old 04-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #194
Level 8 - Vociferous

Which I guess is Kodys' point. Whats between A and A 1/2 flat and whats between that and so on...

Valid but irrelevant to the East and the West :-O
04-08-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I've been playin guitar for almost a decade dude, i don't have to prove myself online to a bunch of obsessed tool nerds, .
lol, in case you didn't realize, you're on here too
Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #195
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
I've been playin guitar for almost a decade dude, i don't have to prove myself online to a bunch of obsessed tool nerds, .
04-08-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Here is the proof...

I'm not harsh, I'm a realist dreamer.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #196
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Here is the proof...

I'm not harsh, I'm a realist dreamer.
04-08-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
Yeah, but he's not an obsessed Tool nerd and that makes ALL the difference!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #197
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
04-08-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I see. Anyways, I'm staying out of this music argument. I'm still trying to get good at Guitar Hero III let alone play an actual instrument.

Nonetheless, I would LOVE to learn to play guitar and/or drums one day
Old 04-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #198
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I see. Anyways, I'm staying out of this music argument. I'm still trying to get good at Guitar Hero III let alone play an actual instrument.

Nonetheless, I would LOVE to learn to play guitar and/or drums one day
04-08-2008, 10:29 AM

You shouldn't play guitar hero.

Blair says that it's stupid to waste time doing such meaningless things instead of learning to play a real instrument and write original music.

My wife still won't let me get it!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #199
Level 8 - Vociferous

Blair says that it's stupid to waste time doing such meaningless things instead of learning to play a real instrument and write original music.

04-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Oh but it's so much fun, and addictive.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #200
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Oh but it's so much fun, and addictive.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply