Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-06-2006, 06:49 AM

What? Who are you to make a judgement like that? How do you know how creative any of us are?

And what the fuck kind of statement is "Theres a difference between drummers turning themselves into drum machines, and drummers who turn themselves into creativity machines."

So anyone who chooses to learn what Danny can play is just a drum machine? What alot of fucking nonsense.

Just because Danny Carey is in Tool doesn't mean he's suddenly super creative and nobody can match him. Danny Carey is an excellent musician, but there are lots of musicians that are as good as him. I've just graduated from a music degree, and there were drummers as good as Danny Carey there. BUT THEY CAN'T HAVE BEEN, THEY AREN'T FAMOUS!!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!11

You guys completely miss the point about what music is about with these fucking stupid statements about how Tool are so much cleverer than all of us, they are so much better than all of us. They aren't superhuman, and they don't want to be thought of that way. They are infact just like us, and Danny Carey is a great example of that, he is one of the most humble guys in rock.

What Tool have is a collective. Their collective output is more imaginitive than alot of bands can manage, more distinctive. Not necessarily more creative, lets not confuse the two, although they are of course intrinsically linked.

I am a better guitarist than Adam Jones. My friend is as good a drummer as Danny Carey. I can get my head around what Danny plays. I understand it - I can't do it, but I understand it. However, there are only 4 musicians that could form Tool, and that's the 4 that are already doing it. It has FUCK ALL to do with ability, and EVERYTHING to do with vibe, creating a ONENESS in sound. And that oneness is different for every set of musicians.

The music industry doesn't work like ---> expert of their instrument == be famous. I don't like to quote myself, but: The most important songwriters throughout history have not been masters of their instrument, but masters of their imagination.

The question was what's the hardest Tool song to drum to. It's a subjective question. Anyone who says they can play it then gets blasted with the shit coming out of Akasha arse about how we're just replicating Danny and we're not as creative as him. WE WERE PROPOSED THE QUESTION. And nobody is saying they are better than Danny, just accept that there are people that are better musicians than you. Some are famous, many are not.

And for the record, I don't think Danny Carey is a more creative person than I am. But i somehow think you associate 'creative people' with 'famous people'. It doesn't work like that. My creative output is vast. Nobody wants to listen to it, admittedly :P
Old 06-06-2006, 06:49 AM   #81
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30
Re: Hardest Song to play on drums?

What? Who are you to make a judgement like that? How do you know how creative any of us are?

And what the fuck kind of statement is "Theres a difference between drummers turning themselves into drum machines, and drummers who turn themselves into creativity machines."

So anyone who chooses to learn what Danny can play is just a drum machine? What alot of fucking nonsense.

Just because Danny Carey is in Tool doesn't mean he's suddenly super creative and nobody can match him. Danny Carey is an excellent musician, but there are lots of musicians that are as good as him. I've just graduated from a music degree, and there were drummers as good as Danny Carey there. BUT THEY CAN'T HAVE BEEN, THEY AREN'T FAMOUS!!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!11

You guys completely miss the point about what music is about with these fucking stupid statements about how Tool are so much cleverer than all of us, they are so much better than all of us. They aren't superhuman, and they don't want to be thought of that way. They are infact just like us, and Danny Carey is a great example of that, he is one of the most humble guys in rock.

What Tool have is a collective. Their collective output is more imaginitive than alot of bands can manage, more distinctive. Not necessarily more creative, lets not confuse the two, although they are of course intrinsically linked.

I am a better guitarist than Adam Jones. My friend is as good a drummer as Danny Carey. I can get my head around what Danny plays. I understand it - I can't do it, but I understand it. However, there are only 4 musicians that could form Tool, and that's the 4 that are already doing it. It has FUCK ALL to do with ability, and EVERYTHING to do with vibe, creating a ONENESS in sound. And that oneness is different for every set of musicians.

The music industry doesn't work like ---> expert of their instrument == be famous. I don't like to quote myself, but: The most important songwriters throughout history have not been masters of their instrument, but masters of their imagination.

The question was what's the hardest Tool song to drum to. It's a subjective question. Anyone who says they can play it then gets blasted with the shit coming out of Akasha arse about how we're just replicating Danny and we're not as creative as him. WE WERE PROPOSED THE QUESTION. And nobody is saying they are better than Danny, just accept that there are people that are better musicians than you. Some are famous, many are not.

And for the record, I don't think Danny Carey is a more creative person than I am. But i somehow think you associate 'creative people' with 'famous people'. It doesn't work like that. My creative output is vast. Nobody wants to listen to it, admittedly :P
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
davelisowski's Avatar davelisowski
06-06-2006, 06:56 AM

You can do the electronic clicking on Eulogy by tapping your sticks on the rims of your ride toms. That's what I always do.

Personally, the ending of The Grudge is craziness. The rest isn't too bad. I cannot figure out Lateralus at all. I have no idea what extremity needs to be doing what.

I cannot comment on any of 10,000 Days since I've only played with it about 2 or 3 times. Apparently, the neighbors don't like when I play.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:56 AM   #82
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

You can do the electronic clicking on Eulogy by tapping your sticks on the rims of your ride toms. That's what I always do.

Personally, the ending of The Grudge is craziness. The rest isn't too bad. I cannot figure out Lateralus at all. I have no idea what extremity needs to be doing what.

I cannot comment on any of 10,000 Days since I've only played with it about 2 or 3 times. Apparently, the neighbors don't like when I play.
2and46's Avatar 2and46
06-06-2006, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny
Because being famous isn't an indicator of talent.

MarcDrums, here's a tab I did of this section for the bassline, and I included the snare hits. It shows the rhythm of the 5/8 and the snare.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59...ce/Rosetta.jpg
I'll agree with you on one thing, and that is talent doesn't equal being famous. I'm just a little wary of drummers who seem to feel they can duplicate what Danny does. Danny is one of the best, period. His creativity, and unique playing style is what sets him apart. By the way, I used to play drums, so I'm not completely a novist on the issue. I decided to go into a different direction with my life...that and the fact that I pretty much sucked.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:02 AM   #83
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:

MarcDrums, here's a tab I did of this section for the bassline, and I included the snare hits. It shows the rhythm of the 5/8 and the snare.

I'll agree with you on one thing, and that is talent doesn't equal being famous. I'm just a little wary of drummers who seem to feel they can duplicate what Danny does. Danny is one of the best, period. His creativity, and unique playing style is what sets him apart. By the way, I used to play drums, so I'm not completely a novist on the issue. I decided to go into a different direction with my life...that and the fact that I pretty much sucked.
Akasha's Avatar Akasha
06-06-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
ok, post up something uve created on drums, either in musical form, or notational form.

Quote:
I meant what i said, thers a differences between people who belive the amount of songs they can copy/replicate=their skill level (musicaly) and people who belive that a person's musical skill is their ability to create something that has never been created, regardless off the technicality involved.

Quote:
Dont put words in my mouth, thats not what i said or meant.

Quote:
Just because Danny Carey is in Tool doesn't mean he's suddenly super creative and nobody can match him.
I didnt even imply that, dont take this so personally.

Quote:
Danny Carey is an excellent musician, but there are lots of musicians that are as good as him. I've just graduated from a music degree, and there were drummers as good as Danny Carey there. BUT THEY CAN'T HAVE BEEN, THEY AREN'T FAMOUS!!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!11
lol, what, just as good technicality wise, yeh id agree, i think theres even more skilled drummers out there than danny. The difference is, danny balance creativity with skill, in a way thats never been done before. And please, dont think that because u have graduated from a degree that u are above anyone in music, go listen to rosetta stoned and take a lesson from what maynard says. btw, i belive that the most talented and creative people on this planet go unnoticed, to teach them a lesson, so dont try say i regard fame as a way to measure skill and creativity, i am in-fact from the complete opposite view point.

Quote:
Couldnt have said that better myself, except i never said anything about tool or danny being cleverer or better than us, or being superhuman.

Quote:
Im sorry, i just dont understand how you can try and seperate Imagination from Creativity, if u want to CREATE something completely original and distinctive, surely ud have to IMAGINE something, becuase unless you are using your IMAGINATION to CREATE, it's already been created.

Quote:
It has FUCK ALL to do with ability, and EVERYTHING to do with vibe.
EXACTLY.

Quote:
I don't like to quote myself, but: The most important songwriters throughout history have not been masters of their instrument, but masters of their imagination.
Jesus christ dude this is exactly what im trying to say.

Quote:
Sorry for going off track on the subject, but if you look at my first post, it wasnt directed at any of u, but solely in regards to a statement i agreed with.

Quote:
Not saying he is, you sound like me in this last paragraph, altho i DO NOT ASSOCIATE creative people' with 'famous people'.

No hard feelings mate, i wasnt aiming my initial post at u or any other drummers, solely at a comment i agreed with, you allowed yourself to be offended by a neutral statement, seriously. BTW, im not just a music listener, i am hugely involved in music and the creation of it, i have been involved with vast areas of music for the last 8 years, music and sound is my life.

Last edited by Akasha; 06-06-2006 at 07:35 AM..
Old 06-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #84
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
ok, post up something uve created on drums, either in musical form, or notational form.

Quote:
I meant what i said, thers a differences between people who belive the amount of songs they can copy/replicate=their skill level (musicaly) and people who belive that a person's musical skill is their ability to create something that has never been created, regardless off the technicality involved.

Quote:
Dont put words in my mouth, thats not what i said or meant.

Quote:
Just because Danny Carey is in Tool doesn't mean he's suddenly super creative and nobody can match him.
I didnt even imply that, dont take this so personally.

Quote:
Danny Carey is an excellent musician, but there are lots of musicians that are as good as him. I've just graduated from a music degree, and there were drummers as good as Danny Carey there. BUT THEY CAN'T HAVE BEEN, THEY AREN'T FAMOUS!!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!11
lol, what, just as good technicality wise, yeh id agree, i think theres even more skilled drummers out there than danny. The difference is, danny balance creativity with skill, in a way thats never been done before. And please, dont think that because u have graduated from a degree that u are above anyone in music, go listen to rosetta stoned and take a lesson from what maynard says. btw, i belive that the most talented and creative people on this planet go unnoticed, to teach them a lesson, so dont try say i regard fame as a way to measure skill and creativity, i am in-fact from the complete opposite view point.

Quote:
Couldnt have said that better myself, except i never said anything about tool or danny being cleverer or better than us, or being superhuman.

Quote:
Im sorry, i just dont understand how you can try and seperate Imagination from Creativity, if u want to CREATE something completely original and distinctive, surely ud have to IMAGINE something, becuase unless you are using your IMAGINATION to CREATE, it's already been created.

Quote:
It has FUCK ALL to do with ability, and EVERYTHING to do with vibe.
EXACTLY.

Quote:
I don't like to quote myself, but: The most important songwriters throughout history have not been masters of their instrument, but masters of their imagination.
Jesus christ dude this is exactly what im trying to say.

Quote:
Sorry for going off track on the subject, but if you look at my first post, it wasnt directed at any of u, but solely in regards to a statement i agreed with.

Quote:
Not saying he is, you sound like me in this last paragraph, altho i DO NOT ASSOCIATE creative people' with 'famous people'.

No hard feelings mate, i wasnt aiming my initial post at u or any other drummers, solely at a comment i agreed with, you allowed yourself to be offended by a neutral statement, seriously. BTW, im not just a music listener, i am hugely involved in music and the creation of it, i have been involved with vast areas of music for the last 8 years, music and sound is my life.

Last edited by Akasha; 06-06-2006 at 07:35 AM..
champion's Avatar champion
06-06-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelisowski

Lateralus is really not so difficult if you figure out the time signature. I can play Lateralus REALLY well, actually. It's one of the songs I plan to post up on here soon.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:34 AM   #85
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

Quote:

Lateralus is really not so difficult if you figure out the time signature. I can play Lateralus REALLY well, actually. It's one of the songs I plan to post up on here soon.
06-06-2006, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha
Exactly, i dont give a shit who can COPY and REPLICATE what danny carey does, you people lack what danny has, CREATIVITY, i bet none of u that can copy what danny does can CREATE something as good as what he does. Theres a difference between drummers turning themselves into drum machines, and drummers who turn themselves into creativity machines.
I'm in a great band, and while I like to play Danny's material because it's intriguing and improves my own skill, I play my own music all the time, and I consider myself a good musician with a great imagination.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:37 AM   #86
Banned.

Quote:
Exactly, i dont give a shit who can COPY and REPLICATE what danny carey does, you people lack what danny has, CREATIVITY, i bet none of u that can copy what danny does can CREATE something as good as what he does. Theres a difference between drummers turning themselves into drum machines, and drummers who turn themselves into creativity machines.
I'm in a great band, and while I like to play Danny's material because it's intriguing and improves my own skill, I play my own music all the time, and I consider myself a good musician with a great imagination.
06-06-2006, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*G*N
champion, are there any rock songs (non-Toolish) that is really hard for you to play?
Tons. Most Tool is hard for me to play. But I spent so much time on the Lateralus CD over the years, that I can play all of that record respectably. I even do Ticks and Leeches.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #87
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*G*N
champion, are there any rock songs (non-Toolish) that is really hard for you to play?
Tons. Most Tool is hard for me to play. But I spent so much time on the Lateralus CD over the years, that I can play all of that record respectably. I even do Ticks and Leeches.
elysianfields
06-06-2006, 07:53 AM

Well personally i think that on the 10,000 days record, the drumming was very different from Lateralus. In Lateralus Danny often carried the melody and rythme on his toms, as opposed to using the normal cymbal, bass, and snare combinations that are much more prevalent on 10,000 days.

Not to say this is bad! not at all! i cant even begin to understand some of the drumming on the new record, but i personally feel that Lateralus was a better cd for drumming. i.e. listen to Lateralus, Parabola, The Grudge (im sure you all have)... the way danny carries the songs with such complicated patterns on the toms is mind-boggling. by the way, it took me like 15 minutes to figure out ticks and leeches... its not that hard, just totally awesome to play.

hardest song to play?

Eulogy - the hihat accent beat where maynard sings "you claim all this time..."
this is quite possibly my favorite drum beat ever. i love it. and i cant play
it.....

The Grudge - just all of it... crazyness.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #88
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Well personally i think that on the 10,000 days record, the drumming was very different from Lateralus. In Lateralus Danny often carried the melody and rythme on his toms, as opposed to using the normal cymbal, bass, and snare combinations that are much more prevalent on 10,000 days.

Not to say this is bad! not at all! i cant even begin to understand some of the drumming on the new record, but i personally feel that Lateralus was a better cd for drumming. i.e. listen to Lateralus, Parabola, The Grudge (im sure you all have)... the way danny carries the songs with such complicated patterns on the toms is mind-boggling. by the way, it took me like 15 minutes to figure out ticks and leeches... its not that hard, just totally awesome to play.

hardest song to play?

it.....

06-06-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:
www.myspace.com/twilightamberego

Dimensions of Innovation and Crucifying Sighs. Although someone is bound to jump on my back, I'll put in this disclaimer - I don't think my stuff is harder than Tool, it's just that he asked for a link so I gave him a link :P

I never meant to sound like graduation from a degree made me better, I was just pointing out I've been at an institution full of expert musician, superior to me.

Quote:
Well, you can seperate them, strictly, is it possible to create something, but the thing you create has no imagination behind it? Alot, if not all, pop music is like that. Greenday create an awful lot, but there's not alot of imagination in it since Dookie. The keywords you put in there and 'original and distinctive'. The distinction I'm making here is: It takes imagination to be original and distinctive, it only takes technique to create something. And of course, I agree with you, Danny Carey is brilliant and using both of these. It's just in your post you implied that people here are just copying Danny, which is unfair.

The fact is, one guy said:
"I'm impressed by all the drummers who can easily duplicate Danny. If you can so flawlessly do what Danny can do, why haven't I heard of you?"
and you said:
'Exactly.'

Which made me wtf?

I'm not personally offended, the bit that peeved me was because you quoted a guy who actually was talking about people in the thread, and you said you agreed. So if you didn't mean to direct it at anyone personally, you did make it seem that way. I didn't take it as offensive, I just argued for everyone else really. :P

Last edited by Jimmeny; 06-06-2006 at 07:58 AM..
Old 06-06-2006, 07:54 AM   #89
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
www.myspace.com/twilightamberego

Dimensions of Innovation and Crucifying Sighs. Although someone is bound to jump on my back, I'll put in this disclaimer - I don't think my stuff is harder than Tool, it's just that he asked for a link so I gave him a link :P

I never meant to sound like graduation from a degree made me better, I was just pointing out I've been at an institution full of expert musician, superior to me.

Quote:
Well, you can seperate them, strictly, is it possible to create something, but the thing you create has no imagination behind it? Alot, if not all, pop music is like that. Greenday create an awful lot, but there's not alot of imagination in it since Dookie. The keywords you put in there and 'original and distinctive'. The distinction I'm making here is: It takes imagination to be original and distinctive, it only takes technique to create something. And of course, I agree with you, Danny Carey is brilliant and using both of these. It's just in your post you implied that people here are just copying Danny, which is unfair.

The fact is, one guy said:
"I'm impressed by all the drummers who can easily duplicate Danny. If you can so flawlessly do what Danny can do, why haven't I heard of you?"
and you said:
'Exactly.'

Which made me wtf?

I'm not personally offended, the bit that peeved me was because you quoted a guy who actually was talking about people in the thread, and you said you agreed. So if you didn't mean to direct it at anyone personally, you did make it seem that way. I didn't take it as offensive, I just argued for everyone else really. :P

Last edited by Jimmeny; 06-06-2006 at 07:58 AM..
06-06-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysianfields

hardest song to play?

it.....

I'm surprised you can play Ticks but not that beat in Eulogy. It's badass, but really not that difficult.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:57 AM   #90
Banned.

Quote:

hardest song to play?

it.....

I'm surprised you can play Ticks but not that beat in Eulogy. It's badass, but really not that difficult.
davelisowski's Avatar davelisowski
06-06-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion
A video from over your shoulder would rock. That way I could see everything that's happening.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:53 AM   #91
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
A video from over your shoulder would rock. That way I could see everything that's happening.
elysianfields
06-06-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Really? ill spend more time on it. but i think he's playing his hihat in three, and his snare and bass in four. i dunno, im not quite to that point of independence i dont think.

but yes... it is a badass beat.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #92
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Really? ill spend more time on it. but i think he's playing his hihat in three, and his snare and bass in four. i dunno, im not quite to that point of independence i dont think.

06-06-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
It might be difficult because of the placement of my drumset (in a corner), but I'll try to get a good shot of it.

I'm going to get a guitarist to my house to play a couple of songs with me this week, and I'll try to have somebody else film it from a good angle.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #93
Banned.

Quote:
It might be difficult because of the placement of my drumset (in a corner), but I'll try to get a good shot of it.

I'm going to get a guitarist to my house to play a couple of songs with me this week, and I'll try to have somebody else film it from a good angle.
06-06-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Yeah, it's actually not really difficult. It's independence, but one limb on three and one limb on four shouldn't be too hard to play after some practicing.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #94
Banned.

Quote:

Yeah, it's actually not really difficult. It's independence, but one limb on three and one limb on four shouldn't be too hard to play after some practicing.
Gajarigon's Avatar Gajarigon
06-06-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The hardest part is hitting the hi-hat so fast. Or at least it is for me.

*does some workout*

On a sidenote: is the ending fill of vicarious swiss triplets or just single stroke roll (with cross-over)?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #95
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
The hardest part is hitting the hi-hat so fast. Or at least it is for me.

*does some workout*

On a sidenote: is the ending fill of vicarious swiss triplets or just single stroke roll (with cross-over)?
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
06-06-2006, 10:42 AM

^ great album in your avatar
Old 06-06-2006, 10:42 AM   #96
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

^ great album in your avatar
toocooltool's Avatar toocooltool
06-06-2006, 11:05 AM

It's not the playing.. its the coming up with it....
Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #97
Banned.

Bincount™: 4396

Gajarigon's Avatar Gajarigon
06-06-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocooltool

Yeah but it would be fairly stupid to ask what would be the hardest song to come up with...
Old 06-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #98
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Quote:

Yeah but it would be fairly stupid to ask what would be the hardest song to come up with...
tDoXoMl
06-06-2006, 12:13 PM

whats a crotchet? that riff in the first song of jimmeny's myspace sounds really cool, wish ida thought of something so simple! the last song is cute too.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #99
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 70

whats a crotchet? that riff in the first song of jimmeny's myspace sounds really cool, wish ida thought of something so simple! the last song is cute too.
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-06-2006, 02:25 PM

Thanks man. I've changed the song orders around today so I don't know which one you mean by the first one. Crucifying Sighs uses a 7/8 guitar riff over 4/4 drums, and then in the verses a 5/8 riff over 4/4 drums. Dimensions of Innovation uses a 5/4 guitar riff over 4/4 drums (and later on I use a 5 bar motif over the 5/4 riff over the 4/4 riff so there are 3 layers of rotation going on!) Kaleidemote is all in 4/4, and has a Dream Theater-esque riff (although I'm no Petrucci).

A crotchet is basically the base unit of any bar. So when someone says 4/4, it means there are 4 crotchets per bar. In the section of Rosetta Stoned we're talking about, the crotchet rhythm is hit out by the hit hat (and later on by the Grudge digi-clapping).
Old 06-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #100
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Thanks man. I've changed the song orders around today so I don't know which one you mean by the first one. Crucifying Sighs uses a 7/8 guitar riff over 4/4 drums, and then in the verses a 5/8 riff over 4/4 drums. Dimensions of Innovation uses a 5/4 guitar riff over 4/4 drums (and later on I use a 5 bar motif over the 5/4 riff over the 4/4 riff so there are 3 layers of rotation going on!) Kaleidemote is all in 4/4, and has a Dream Theater-esque riff (although I'm no Petrucci).

A crotchet is basically the base unit of any bar. So when someone says 4/4, it means there are 4 crotchets per bar. In the section of Rosetta Stoned we're talking about, the crotchet rhythm is hit out by the hit hat (and later on by the Grudge digi-clapping).
Tachyon
06-06-2006, 03:18 PM

Yeah, does Danny do that grudge-digi-clapping live??? I didnŽt notice it in Holland. But I was always wandering if Danny did this or if it is a sample of the synthesizer thing from Maynard.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #101
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Yeah, does Danny do that grudge-digi-clapping live??? I didnŽt notice it in Holland. But I was always wandering if Danny did this or if it is a sample of the synthesizer thing from Maynard.
06-06-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
the thread starter was most likely asking so he can challenge himself on his drums and try to play along with some tough tunes. i drum to my favorite drummers all the time when i practice. nothing wrong with that.

staying on topic,,,i'd say that playing 'part of me' is pretty rough to get perfect. although it may seem very simple, it's really tough to play perfect note for note. try it and you'll see!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #102
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
the thread starter was most likely asking so he can challenge himself on his drums and try to play along with some tough tunes. i drum to my favorite drummers all the time when i practice. nothing wrong with that.

staying on topic,,,i'd say that playing 'part of me' is pretty rough to get perfect. although it may seem very simple, it's really tough to play perfect note for note. try it and you'll see!!!
drone007
06-06-2006, 04:22 PM

this might be kinda cool actually... maybe the drummers should all pick a song to play and do their own things to. i started to watch the eulogy video but i got bored b/c it seemed to just mimic the cd. anybody can play that, with all respect.

i'd like to see if there are people out there that put in some nice fills or beats.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #103
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

this might be kinda cool actually... maybe the drummers should all pick a song to play and do their own things to. i started to watch the eulogy video but i got bored b/c it seemed to just mimic the cd. anybody can play that, with all respect.

i'd like to see if there are people out there that put in some nice fills or beats.
06-06-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atbr
I think that would be Ticks and leeches and Lateralus, the last part of The Grudge is quite hard too
Agreed. The verse to Lateralus blew my mind the first time I heard it. I was only a year in at drumming and my friend wanted me to play it. I quit drumming for a month.

RS is impossible too... I've given up on trying to play the great songs from Lateralus/10,000 Days because I don't feel like putting in that time (unless I actually trusted the tabs these days...)

Tool_rules is just about 100% correct, listen to him.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #104

Quote:
I think that would be Ticks and leeches and Lateralus, the last part of The Grudge is quite hard too
Agreed. The verse to Lateralus blew my mind the first time I heard it. I was only a year in at drumming and my friend wanted me to play it. I quit drumming for a month.

RS is impossible too... I've given up on trying to play the great songs from Lateralus/10,000 Days because I don't feel like putting in that time (unless I actually trusted the tabs these days...)

Tool_rules is just about 100% correct, listen to him.
MarcDrums's Avatar MarcDrums
06-06-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:

awesome stuff :)
Old 06-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #105

Quote:

awesome stuff :)
mulhollanddriven
06-06-2006, 06:33 PM

The groove at the end of Triad is pretty amazing...requires a lot of four way independence. But Rosetta Stoned is probably the most impressive thing he has ever played.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #106

The groove at the end of Triad is pretty amazing...requires a lot of four way independence. But Rosetta Stoned is probably the most impressive thing he has ever played.
NAILS
06-06-2006, 07:48 PM

Jerk-offf
Old 06-06-2006, 07:48 PM   #107
Level 4 - Thinker

Jerk-offf
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM

I really love Danny's playing. While I think he has become a lot more "technical," I still LOVE his playing on Aenima. There are plenty of cool beats and little things that all make up what I like most about Danny - his taste. He knows he doesn't have to go apeshit all of the time, and he does what is right for the music. The electronic part in the middle of Pushit, for instance - sure with the right equipment, drummers on this board could emulate it, but it sounds so god damn good (as does the rest of the song - that snare sound is beautiful).
Old 06-06-2006, 08:58 PM   #108
Level 1 - Lurker

I really love Danny's playing. While I think he has become a lot more "technical," I still LOVE his playing on Aenima. There are plenty of cool beats and little things that all make up what I like most about Danny - his taste. He knows he doesn't have to go apeshit all of the time, and he does what is right for the music. The electronic part in the middle of Pushit, for instance - sure with the right equipment, drummers on this board could emulate it, but it sounds so god damn good (as does the rest of the song - that snare sound is beautiful).
guanche001's Avatar guanche001
06-06-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:

How do you mean? Like playing in different time sigs. with seperate limbs? That's silly :-)

If I remember correct the whole of eulogy is in 4/4. I'm original trained in classical drumming and with scores (also on the drumset), so I maybe visualise it different...

What's according to you guys the hardest part of ticks and leeches? cuz besides the beginning tom sequence and rhytm (which are a pleasure to play once you got the feeling of it) there isn't much else (what could be difficult) going on.... oh well, it does require some stamina

06-08-06: Dusseldorf (DU), Philipshalle
06-29-06: Werchter (BE), Rock Wercheter
06-01-02: Nijmegen (NL), Ozzfest
Old 06-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #109
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

How do you mean? Like playing in different time sigs. with seperate limbs? That's silly :-)

If I remember correct the whole of eulogy is in 4/4. I'm original trained in classical drumming and with scores (also on the drumset), so I maybe visualise it different...

What's according to you guys the hardest part of ticks and leeches? cuz besides the beginning tom sequence and rhytm (which are a pleasure to play once you got the feeling of it) there isn't much else (what could be difficult) going on.... oh well, it does require some stamina

Mozeley's Avatar Mozeley
06-07-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
I'm impressed by all the drummers who can easily duplicate Danny. If you can so flawlessly do what Danny can do, why haven't I heard of you?
Just because someone isn't famous doesn't mean that they can't duplicate Dannys drums. I can play all of Adams guitar parts....I ain't famous.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:42 AM   #110
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
I'm impressed by all the drummers who can easily duplicate Danny. If you can so flawlessly do what Danny can do, why haven't I heard of you?
Just because someone isn't famous doesn't mean that they can't duplicate Dannys drums. I can play all of Adams guitar parts....I ain't famous.
06-07-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:

I'm looking forward to that

Old 06-07-2006, 12:50 AM   #111
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

I'm looking forward to that

telder
06-07-2006, 03:30 AM

Quote:
I'll agree with Ticks and leeches. Grudge is cake though.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:30 AM   #112
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I'll agree with Ticks and leeches. Grudge is cake though.
06-07-2006, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozeley
It's easier to play Adams parts than Dannys parts :P
Old 06-07-2006, 03:32 AM   #113
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozeley
It's easier to play Adams parts than Dannys parts :P
telder
06-07-2006, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadgar346
Roseta Stoned hands down.

if anyone can do that, let me know lol
That song isn't as tough as you may think. But, there is one part that fucks with me. I think the lyric is "Then she showed me something..." right before the part when he sings, "Cause this shit never happened to me." It so innovative. Carey is my hero.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:34 AM   #114
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadgar346
Roseta Stoned hands down.

if anyone can do that, let me know lol
That song isn't as tough as you may think. But, there is one part that fucks with me. I think the lyric is "Then she showed me something..." right before the part when he sings, "Cause this shit never happened to me." It so innovative. Carey is my hero.
06-07-2006, 03:35 AM

Most of Rosetta isn't that hard aye, but as we've said the 7 to 8 minute break down is very challenging. There's bound to be another Tool song that has a minutes worth of trickiness and moresome, so I don't think Rosetta Stoned is overall the hardest.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:35 AM   #115
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Most of Rosetta isn't that hard aye, but as we've said the 7 to 8 minute break down is very challenging. There's bound to be another Tool song that has a minutes worth of trickiness and moresome, so I don't think Rosetta Stoned is overall the hardest.
telder
06-07-2006, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teratoma
why waste such talent on a shitty song I'll never understand.
couldn't disagree more. maybe my favorite song on the album.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:35 AM   #116
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teratoma
why waste such talent on a shitty song I'll never understand.
couldn't disagree more. maybe my favorite song on the album.
06-07-2006, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_Rules
(but boy, Pushit sure is fun) ?
Absolutely! I love playing that song.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:42 AM   #117
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
(but boy, Pushit sure is fun) ?
Absolutely! I love playing that song.
06-07-2006, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Some good opinions in this thread, but as a drummer of 34 years, on 10K Days Rosetta may very well be the most impressive. But Jambi and Vicarious, let's just say there's not a whole lot that is easy about those tunes, either. There's not an easy drumming song on any of their last two CDs. As a point of relativity, most of Undertow is real doable, less than half of Aenima is doable (but boy, Pushit sure is fun) and Lateralus just propelled Danny (or Danny took Lateralus) to a new dimension of his own drumming. And this CD goes at least a step or two beyond anything he has recorded with anyone including Lateralus. And he knows it. This man has fucking worked his tail off to become better and he is now without a doubt one of the top drummers in the world. No surprise. 46&2 is a great song, but the drum solo is not all that impressive, or, I shoud say, not as hard as it looks in either listening to it or watching him from 20-30 feet away doing it. Some of the off-time hi-hat things he does in the verses of that song are more impressive than that drum solo, IMO. I don't even yet have the nerve to try drumming to ANY of this current CD. It will be awhile. Lots of subtleties in Jambi that most non-drummers cannot comprehend or appreciate. I see nothing mentioned about that most awesome song or the (pehaps overplayed) Vicarious. All instruments and vocals shine on that song, sick as some may be of hearing it on radio (I don't listen to radio, thank God). Rosetta is unbelievable and I am so glad I got to see them do it in Chicago. The drumming in 10000 Days is nothing to scoff at. Ticks and Leeches is a bitch to be sure, one of the best ever, but some of the independence displayed on Triad is beyond belief to me, the same for the song Lateralus. As a drummer, 13 years ago he had me pulling my hair out. Now I don't even reach for my hair. I just shake my head and smile, and sigh. Anyone else with similar opinions about the advancement of Mr. Carey's drumming skills over the last three CDs?
Yeah man. Great post. I usually sit on the CD for a while. Really take it in. You need to notice all the little ghost notes and subtleties in his songs. His progression has grown exponentially and I take comfort in the fact that he wouldn't have it any other way. If we are lucky enough to be listening to a new tool release in five years or so, you can count on the fact that Danny will re-define drumming again.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:46 AM   #118
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Some good opinions in this thread, but as a drummer of 34 years, on 10K Days Rosetta may very well be the most impressive. But Jambi and Vicarious, let's just say there's not a whole lot that is easy about those tunes, either. There's not an easy drumming song on any of their last two CDs. As a point of relativity, most of Undertow is real doable, less than half of Aenima is doable (but boy, Pushit sure is fun) and Lateralus just propelled Danny (or Danny took Lateralus) to a new dimension of his own drumming. And this CD goes at least a step or two beyond anything he has recorded with anyone including Lateralus. And he knows it. This man has fucking worked his tail off to become better and he is now without a doubt one of the top drummers in the world. No surprise. 46&2 is a great song, but the drum solo is not all that impressive, or, I shoud say, not as hard as it looks in either listening to it or watching him from 20-30 feet away doing it. Some of the off-time hi-hat things he does in the verses of that song are more impressive than that drum solo, IMO. I don't even yet have the nerve to try drumming to ANY of this current CD. It will be awhile. Lots of subtleties in Jambi that most non-drummers cannot comprehend or appreciate. I see nothing mentioned about that most awesome song or the (pehaps overplayed) Vicarious. All instruments and vocals shine on that song, sick as some may be of hearing it on radio (I don't listen to radio, thank God). Rosetta is unbelievable and I am so glad I got to see them do it in Chicago. The drumming in 10000 Days is nothing to scoff at. Ticks and Leeches is a bitch to be sure, one of the best ever, but some of the independence displayed on Triad is beyond belief to me, the same for the song Lateralus. As a drummer, 13 years ago he had me pulling my hair out. Now I don't even reach for my hair. I just shake my head and smile, and sigh. Anyone else with similar opinions about the advancement of Mr. Carey's drumming skills over the last three CDs?
Yeah man. Great post. I usually sit on the CD for a while. Really take it in. You need to notice all the little ghost notes and subtleties in his songs. His progression has grown exponentially and I take comfort in the fact that he wouldn't have it any other way. If we are lucky enough to be listening to a new tool release in five years or so, you can count on the fact that Danny will re-define drumming again.
06-07-2006, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanche001
Can you tell your brother that he plays the main groove during the verses wrong. It's not a continued flow of '1-8th 2-16th' but broken with a single 8th at the end of the 4th count... (it is the case in the intro only)
Besides that, very well done. I wish I had such a great recording set up :-)

Eulogy and 'ticks and leeches' are BY FAARRR not the most complex songs on the drums.. everybody who claims that is ignorant.

Although it's hard to pick one and say: this is it.. My guess is that the Salival's pushit version is the most complex.. regarding to the tabla sequence in there (although not played by danny)
I'm proud somebody said it. But you are wrong about Eulogy. Absolutely NOT the hardest Tool song to play on drums. Ticks and leeches is up there though.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:24 AM   #119
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanche001
Can you tell your brother that he plays the main groove during the verses wrong. It's not a continued flow of '1-8th 2-16th' but broken with a single 8th at the end of the 4th count... (it is the case in the intro only)
Besides that, very well done. I wish I had such a great recording set up :-)

Eulogy and 'ticks and leeches' are BY FAARRR not the most complex songs on the drums.. everybody who claims that is ignorant.

Although it's hard to pick one and say: this is it.. My guess is that the Salival's pushit version is the most complex.. regarding to the tabla sequence in there (although not played by danny)
I'm proud somebody said it. But you are wrong about Eulogy. Absolutely NOT the hardest Tool song to play on drums. Ticks and leeches is up there though.
06-07-2006, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Because of three names: Justin, Adam, and Maynard. Danny may be the best, but it takes the rest of those guys for him to communicate the way he does.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:40 AM   #120
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Because of three names: Justin, Adam, and Maynard. Danny may be the best, but it takes the rest of those guys for him to communicate the way he does.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply