Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
vedran
05-20-2006, 03:01 AM

Hey people, I've never posted on a forum before since I'm a selfish, usually internet avoiding bastard, and only use you guys for information. Anyway, I've been trying to compile some relatively accurate lyrics to the album, and you're all pretty good about figuring out most of them. However, I'm really surprised that no one has noticed/ brought this up, regardless of whether it's accurate or not (which I have some doubts about, but I'll tend to believe it). But here's what I hear in the lyrics, which would mostly be relevant only if this is in fact not actually Lipan, and kind of supports the joke theories and whatnot...

Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, tool
Heeyahenayah, new,
yahah new, yeaah

Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, tool
Heeyahenayah, cool

Anyway, it kind of works with the whole self-deprecating, mocking view of the track, with tool making fun of themselves and the whole mystical/metaphysical side of their music, as well as their fanbase and also the eagerness or occasional zealotry that this album has been expected with. It's what I heard the first time I listened to this segue, and what I've heard ever since, and I've found it holds together after much repeated listening. I thought it was funny as hell, anyway. Feel free to disect it, though.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
05 - Lipan Conjuring Lyrics....

Hey people, I've never posted on a forum before since I'm a selfish, usually internet avoiding bastard, and only use you guys for information. Anyway, I've been trying to compile some relatively accurate lyrics to the album, and you're all pretty good about figuring out most of them. However, I'm really surprised that no one has noticed/ brought this up, regardless of whether it's accurate or not (which I have some doubts about, but I'll tend to believe it). But here's what I hear in the lyrics, which would mostly be relevant only if this is in fact not actually Lipan, and kind of supports the joke theories and whatnot...

Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, tool
Heeyahenayah, new,
yahah new, yeaah

Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, tool
Heeyahenayah, cool

Anyway, it kind of works with the whole self-deprecating, mocking view of the track, with tool making fun of themselves and the whole mystical/metaphysical side of their music, as well as their fanbase and also the eagerness or occasional zealotry that this album has been expected with. It's what I heard the first time I listened to this segue, and what I've heard ever since, and I've found it holds together after much repeated listening. I thought it was funny as hell, anyway. Feel free to disect it, though.
OFFLINE |  
EdwardJamesKeenan
05-20-2006, 04:15 AM

you know what you could be right, lol
Old 05-20-2006, 04:15 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11
Re: Lipan Conjuring Lyrics....

you know what you could be right, lol
05-21-2006, 11:40 AM

Seems about right. Just wondering if we can make more from the heyahenayah part.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Seems about right. Just wondering if we can make more from the heyahenayah part.
05-21-2006, 11:43 AM

it's probably nonsense to see if people could focus on the new tool cool part, if that's valid.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

it's probably nonsense to see if people could focus on the new tool cool part, if that's valid.
OFFLINE |  
STA's Avatar STA
05-25-2006, 02:17 PM

If this is true, it gives me a whole new respect for Lipan Conjuring.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
STA
Banned.

Bincount™: 11285

If this is true, it gives me a whole new respect for Lipan Conjuring.
OFFLINE |  
Kristy31803's Avatar Kristy31803
05-26-2006, 08:52 AM

Doesn't Maynard emphasize in interviews that the band tries not to take themselves too seriously? If your theory is correct, then this song supports his statements. (Also it might have been Danny who said that... I'm getting my interviews mixed up.)
Old 05-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

Doesn't Maynard emphasize in interviews that the band tries not to take themselves too seriously? If your theory is correct, then this song supports his statements. (Also it might have been Danny who said that... I'm getting my interviews mixed up.)
05-26-2006, 04:42 PM

the band has stated that while they take their work very seriously, they often do not take themselves seriously, which in turn is expressed in their work.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #7

Bincount™: 1

the band has stated that while they take their work very seriously, they often do not take themselves seriously, which in turn is expressed in their work.
OFFLINE |  
Blanket_509's Avatar Blanket_509
05-26-2006, 04:45 PM

i listened to lipan again, and I believe you are right. That's some funny shit.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #8

i listened to lipan again, and I believe you are right. That's some funny shit.
OFFLINE |  
æmoeba•°·.'s Avatar æmoeba•°·.
06-02-2006, 10:06 PM

....ha
Old 06-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

....ha
stevejols
06-15-2006, 10:26 AM

hehe.... i hear it man i hear it!
Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #10

hehe.... i hear it man i hear it!
OFFLINE |  
UFOtofu's Avatar UFOtofu
06-15-2006, 11:53 AM

good stuff, man. whether it's correct or not, I'm always singing your way along with it. The Pot always puts me in a singing kind of mood. The drivers next to me must think I'm weird...and they would be right.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #11

Bincount™: 24

good stuff, man. whether it's correct or not, I'm always singing your way along with it. The Pot always puts me in a singing kind of mood. The drivers next to me must think I'm weird...and they would be right.
OFFLINE |  
Agent_202's Avatar Agent_202
06-15-2006, 03:21 PM

lol. i think you're on to something.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:21 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

lol. i think you're on to something.
06-15-2006, 08:10 PM

To this, I say "Holy CRAP, I think you're right enough for me to post my first post ever, even thought I've been a regular visitor of this site for almost Eight years..." Nice find, it does indeed sound like thats whats goin on here. Congrats to Tool for pulling off a hilarious large-scale prank most people will never know about, and took us FOREVER to discover. Excellent....
Old 06-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

To this, I say "Holy CRAP, I think you're right enough for me to post my first post ever, even thought I've been a regular visitor of this site for almost Eight years..." Nice find, it does indeed sound like thats whats goin on here. Congrats to Tool for pulling off a hilarious large-scale prank most people will never know about, and took us FOREVER to discover. Excellent....
06-15-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedran

Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, tool
Heeyahenayah, new,
yahah new, yeaah

Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, tool
Heeyahenayah, cool

Not to be one of those jerks who directs you to his own posts, but I put up some information about the singer and song's origin on
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=49790

I'll add that the song is supposedly sacred to Brown and the folks at Tracker, so it's supposedly true Lipan and meaningful. If it does turn out to be not Lipan or meaningful at all, maybe they put it on their album hoping to expose a fraud?

The "new-tool-cool" thing, btw, is awesome. Maybe pronunciations/accents were adjusted for the purpose just to really drive home the point.
"There were all kinds of things I was afraid of at first, ranging from grizzly bears to 'mean' horses and gun-fighters; but by acting as if I was not afraid I gradually ceased to be afraid." --Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:

Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, tool
Heeyahenayah, new,
yahah new, yeaah

Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, tool
Heeyahenayah, cool

Not to be one of those jerks who directs you to his own posts, but I put up some information about the singer and song's origin on
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=49790

I'll add that the song is supposedly sacred to Brown and the folks at Tracker, so it's supposedly true Lipan and meaningful. If it does turn out to be not Lipan or meaningful at all, maybe they put it on their album hoping to expose a fraud?

The "new-tool-cool" thing, btw, is awesome. Maybe pronunciations/accents were adjusted for the purpose just to really drive home the point.
"There were all kinds of things I was afraid of at first, ranging from grizzly bears to 'mean' horses and gun-fighters; but by acting as if I was not afraid I gradually ceased to be afraid." --Theodore Roosevelt
OFFLINE |  
vedran
06-17-2006, 05:06 PM

Not disagreeing, but tool did also say quite a few things about a book sacred to them.....you know, the one about lachrymology......
Old 06-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Not disagreeing, but tool did also say quite a few things about a book sacred to them.....you know, the one about lachrymology......
OFFLINE |  
NawnimNonNomen's Avatar NawnimNonNomen
06-17-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's not Tool claiming that the song is sacred to folks at the Tracker School (actually just to Tom); it's Tom (or his secretary anyway) who claims it's sacred. Obviously, when I heard the early assertions that it wasn't Lipan I immediately thought of Ronald Vincent. This could still be a hoax, but if so, it's a decidedly more elaborate hoax: rather than just making up a name (and easily avoiding a SLAPP without having to do any work), they'd have convince a purported expert whose claims are already challenged to take part in the hoax, which would likely cast even greater doubt on his claims (and, since he makes his living selling Lipan wisdom, threaten his livelihood). It's also riskier, since they're not inventing a philosophy/religious practice from scratch this time, but actually connecting it to a real people with a verifiable history.

So if it's a hoax, it's a well-developed one. (As an early lachrymology and spatilomancy* skeptic I'd like to think that the band felt a need to go to greater lengths to fool their fans, but then I remember how easily the Christian conversion hoax was accomplished.) I'm sure there are other possibilities, but I only have two well-fleshed scenarios in mind: either it's a wonderfully complex hoax or it's that it's their version of Arnaldo Lerma's usenet reveal--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnaldo_Lerma
There seem to be a lot of parallels between Tracker School's classes and CoS's OT levels.

Either way, it's damned cool.

*"Spatilomancy" is the closest divination practice to the aenema ritual I've yet come across. An alternative would be scatology, which I think makes it clear it's a hoax as well.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Actually, it's not Tool claiming that the song is sacred to folks at the Tracker School (actually just to Tom); it's Tom (or his secretary anyway) who claims it's sacred. Obviously, when I heard the early assertions that it wasn't Lipan I immediately thought of Ronald Vincent. This could still be a hoax, but if so, it's a decidedly more elaborate hoax: rather than just making up a name (and easily avoiding a SLAPP without having to do any work), they'd have convince a purported expert whose claims are already challenged to take part in the hoax, which would likely cast even greater doubt on his claims (and, since he makes his living selling Lipan wisdom, threaten his livelihood). It's also riskier, since they're not inventing a philosophy/religious practice from scratch this time, but actually connecting it to a real people with a verifiable history.

So if it's a hoax, it's a well-developed one. (As an early lachrymology and spatilomancy* skeptic I'd like to think that the band felt a need to go to greater lengths to fool their fans, but then I remember how easily the Christian conversion hoax was accomplished.) I'm sure there are other possibilities, but I only have two well-fleshed scenarios in mind: either it's a wonderfully complex hoax or it's that it's their version of Arnaldo Lerma's usenet reveal--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnaldo_Lerma
There seem to be a lot of parallels between Tracker School's classes and CoS's OT levels.

Either way, it's damned cool.

*"Spatilomancy" is the closest divination practice to the aenema ritual I've yet come across. An alternative would be scatology, which I think makes it clear it's a hoax as well.
OFFLINE |  
vedran
06-18-2006, 07:30 AM

huh.. cool
Old 06-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

huh.. cool
OFFLINE |  
RedMetalSox's Avatar RedMetalSox
06-18-2006, 03:06 PM

what the fuck is a lapin, and what is he conjuring?

I love the lyrics, they make me laught like Im high...good job buddy!
Old 06-18-2006, 03:06 PM   #18
King of Anal

Bincount™: 3492

what the fuck is a lapin, and what is he conjuring?

I love the lyrics, they make me laught like Im high...good job buddy!
OFFLINE |  
Ardent's Avatar Ardent
06-26-2006, 12:19 PM

this song always makes me laugh anyways...and the idea of new/tool/cool....ha...even better...it sounds like somthing they would do just to mess with people.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

this song always makes me laugh anyways...and the idea of new/tool/cool....ha...even better...it sounds like somthing they would do just to mess with people.
06-26-2006, 08:32 PM

According to a few websites I've seen, the Lipan are a clan of the Apache nation, and that
Lipan Apache means "Tall Grass People." (Drug reference?)
We are eternal; all this pain is an illusion.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

According to a few websites I've seen, the Lipan are a clan of the Apache nation, and that
Lipan Apache means "Tall Grass People." (Drug reference?)
We are eternal; all this pain is an illusion.
OFFLINE |  
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-29-2006, 03:23 PM

What about the first lyric line being: "Who are you"?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

What about the first lyric line being: "Who are you"?
OFFLINE |  
RedMetalSox's Avatar RedMetalSox
07-01-2006, 01:19 PM

oooooooooo oooooooooo oooooooo ooooh yeaheayea
oooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo oh yeahhhhyeahhhhh
hey yeahhhh alright yeah tool
hey yeah i neeed yea new yeah ha new ya
ooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo yeahhh
oooooooooooo oooooooooooooo oh yeahy yeahhhh
hey yea alright yeahh tool
hey yeah nice yeah cool
Old 07-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #22
King of Anal

Bincount™: 3492

oooooooooo oooooooooo oooooooo ooooh yeaheayea
oooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo oh yeahhhhyeahhhhh
hey yeahhhh alright yeah tool
hey yeah i neeed yea new yeah ha new ya
ooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo yeahhh
oooooooooooo oooooooooooooo oh yeahy yeahhhh
hey yea alright yeahh tool
hey yeah nice yeah cool
OFFLINE |  
soph's Avatar soph
07-02-2006, 02:57 AM

haha that's hilarious
Old 07-02-2006, 02:57 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 189

haha that's hilarious
OFFLINE |  
ween69's Avatar ween69
07-03-2006, 08:08 AM

that was quite a treat
Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #24

Bincount™: 22

that was quite a treat
corps d'allumen's Avatar corps d'allumen
07-03-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawnimNonNomen
"Yeah, so one of these new songs is just a bunch of bs chanting; I don't understand what's going on really. Don't really understand shamans, either, I just know they trip a lot... This has to be something deep though, it's new Tool for christ's sake. I don't want to not look "in the know" so I'll sing along to look cool, even if I don't know what they're saying."
(2nd verse same as the first!)
"Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, uhhh, tool!
Heeyahenayah, COOL!!!1!!"

"... fuck, I'm so drunk. Fuck this.
I'll just eat a bunch of acid, then I'll get it."

*start next storyline, trippin' balls and at the hospital*

Really, I just love the "drunk guy" scream at the end of the segue, just like a live show of anyone's.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
"Yeah, so one of these new songs is just a bunch of bs chanting; I don't understand what's going on really. Don't really understand shamans, either, I just know they trip a lot... This has to be something deep though, it's new Tool for christ's sake. I don't want to not look "in the know" so I'll sing along to look cool, even if I don't know what they're saying."
(2nd verse same as the first!)
"Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, uhhh, tool!
Heeyahenayah, COOL!!!1!!"

"... fuck, I'm so drunk. Fuck this.
I'll just eat a bunch of acid, then I'll get it."

*start next storyline, trippin' balls and at the hospital*

Really, I just love the "drunk guy" scream at the end of the segue, just like a live show of anyone's.
07-03-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's not Tool claiming that the song is sacred to folks at the Tracker School (actually just to Tom); it's Tom (or his secretary anyway) who claims it's sacred.
I twisted an arm, and here's the actual letter from Tracker School:

We were taken by surprise by the use of this song. Tom does not recall working or speaking with Justin Chancellor.

Billy McConnell no longer is connected with the school, nor did he have permission to use this material. The song is sacred to Tom and he does not reveal the meaning of the words to anyone.

I don't mean to take a harsh tone with you, but hearing someone sing a song, on an album no less, that Tom only shares with his students, has been upsetting to many people. It is like the breaking of a sacred trust.

Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.

[email protected]

Last edited by NawnimNonNomen; 07-03-2006 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: html snafu
Old 07-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Actually, it's not Tool claiming that the song is sacred to folks at the Tracker School (actually just to Tom); it's Tom (or his secretary anyway) who claims it's sacred.
I twisted an arm, and here's the actual letter from Tracker School:

We were taken by surprise by the use of this song. Tom does not recall working or speaking with Justin Chancellor.

Billy McConnell no longer is connected with the school, nor did he have permission to use this material. The song is sacred to Tom and he does not reveal the meaning of the words to anyone.

I don't mean to take a harsh tone with you, but hearing someone sing a song, on an album no less, that Tom only shares with his students, has been upsetting to many people. It is like the breaking of a sacred trust.

Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.

[email protected]

Last edited by NawnimNonNomen; 07-03-2006 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: html snafu
OFFLINE |  
A Spirit of Radio's Avatar A Spirit of Radio
07-07-2006, 12:18 PM

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, don't let other people hear this great prayer-song. They might laugh-which a lot ofdumbasses did.

but some of us-were moved and thought it was way cool and understood that chanting like that was the beginning of beautiful vocal expressions of the soul.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #27

Bincount™: 14

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, don't let other people hear this great prayer-song. They might laugh-which a lot ofdumbasses did.

but some of us-were moved and thought it was way cool and understood that chanting like that was the beginning of beautiful vocal expressions of the soul.
07-08-2006, 09:20 AM

why can't it be a "beautiful expression of the soul" and funny at the same time? god forbid we see that "tool-humor" after like 10 fuckin years... i dont think i got a single laugh from lateralus, except for faaip-de-oiad, but that was only after i stopped cringing.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:20 AM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

why can't it be a "beautiful expression of the soul" and funny at the same time? god forbid we see that "tool-humor" after like 10 fuckin years... i dont think i got a single laugh from lateralus, except for faaip-de-oiad, but that was only after i stopped cringing.
OFFLINE |  
jarbsy
07-09-2006, 01:49 AM

HAHAHAHA Works for me well found.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:49 AM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

HAHAHAHA Works for me well found.
OFFLINE |  
fugitive538's Avatar fugitive538
07-09-2006, 05:20 AM

Ok, i'm convinced, thats it.
The new Tool is cool.:) (and considering what i know of Tool's humour, fits perfectly.)
Old 07-09-2006, 05:20 AM   #30

Ok, i'm convinced, thats it.
The new Tool is cool.:) (and considering what i know of Tool's humour, fits perfectly.)
07-11-2006, 09:04 AM

keeps cracking me up every time I listen to it
Old 07-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #31

keeps cracking me up every time I listen to it
OFFLINE |  
fugitive538's Avatar fugitive538
07-14-2006, 07:54 AM

Why cant i edit my post here?
i just wanted to add that these should make it to the lyrics section of TDN :-)))))
Old 07-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #32

Why cant i edit my post here?
i just wanted to add that these should make it to the lyrics section of TDN :-)))))
07-19-2006, 05:57 PM

all this talking about a simple song about a roast beef sandwich... jeez.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

all this talking about a simple song about a roast beef sandwich... jeez.

OFFLINE |  
toocooltool's Avatar toocooltool
07-24-2006, 06:59 AM

lol @ this.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:59 AM   #34
Banned.

Bincount™: 4396

lol @ this.
OFFLINE |  
Opiate_Mass's Avatar Opiate_Mass
08-01-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Lachrymology wasn't real, it was made up by tool themselves, lol.
The art of speaking through crying -.- hahaha, funny.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 49

Quote:
Lachrymology wasn't real, it was made up by tool themselves, lol.
The art of speaking through crying -.- hahaha, funny.
Opiate_Mass's Avatar Opiate_Mass
08-01-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY
Well i got a laugh from the 'GOD' planted in the brain of the linear notes.
That was funny.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY
Well i got a laugh from the 'GOD' planted in the brain of the linear notes.
That was funny.
jesseAK
08-07-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, tool
Heeyahenayah, new,
yahah new, yeaah

Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, tool
Heeyahenayah, cool

You, sir, are a genius. ^.^
Old 08-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, tool
Heeyahenayah, new,
yahah new, yeaah

Oooayeayah...
Oooayeayah...
Heeyahenayah, tool
Heeyahenayah, cool

You, sir, are a genius. ^.^
OFFLINE |  
jesseAK
08-11-2006, 08:55 AM

Now, every time that song rolls by I bust up laughing and people look at me like "Wtf are you on dude?"
Old 08-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Now, every time that song rolls by I bust up laughing and people look at me like "Wtf are you on dude?"
OFFLINE |  
vedran
08-14-2006, 11:11 PM

Wow, Opiate_Mass, when I wrote that I was trying to point out that Tool are not above claiming that something is sacred to them purely as a joke. I wanted to use that past incident of "Lachrymology" to explain how this track could be a joke to the band despite the spiritual overtones. Of course I know they made up "A Joyful Guide to Crying". Thanks, though.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #39
Level 3 - Talker

Wow, Opiate_Mass, when I wrote that I was trying to point out that Tool are not above claiming that something is sacred to them purely as a joke. I wanted to use that past incident of "Lachrymology" to explain how this track could be a joke to the band despite the spiritual overtones. Of course I know they made up "A Joyful Guide to Crying". Thanks, though.
OFFLINE |  
Icculus
09-11-2006, 11:34 PM

http://www.indians.org/welker/lipanap.htm

The origins of the Castro Family start in the Northern part of the State of Texas. The Castro Family comes from proud Indian heritage and culture lost over the years to our families denial of being Native American.

The word Apache means:

"People of the Mountains";

the word Lipan means:

"Warriors of the Mountains".

However, to the Lipan Apache Band,

they called themselves the "Tindi",

which means the above mentioned in their Native language.

The Colonial Spanish Missionaries at San Saba Mission de La Santa Cruz gave the Castro surname to the Lipan Apache Band Chief Cuelga de Castro. Before 1725 the Lipan Apache Band village site was found some 250 miles Northwest of modern-day Austin, Texas.

In 1740, the Lipan Apache Band village site was located some 50 miles Northwest of today's San Antonio, Texas at Tancahe Camp on the Rio Colorado de Texas. In 1757, the Colonial Spanish Government built the Mission San Saba de la Santa Cruz for the Lipan Apache Band, closed the following year due to constant attacks by the Comanche Indians. The Mission San Saba is found ninety miles Northeast of San Antonio, Texas and is found on the banks of the San Saba River. During the mid 1700's, Spanish Missionaries wishing to convert the Native American peoples of Texas would give Native American leaders Spanish names before converting them into Christianity.

Spanish Missionaries gave Lipan Apache Band Chief Cuelga the name Cuelga de Castro. They have estimated that Cuelga was born in the year 1762. Cuelga de Castro was born in the Lipan Apache Band Village on the river banks between the San Saba and Colorado Rivers Texas. These rivers are found near what they called Lipan's Field. The strip of land is found between the Rio de Los Llanos toward the Guadalupe Rivers. In the year 1768 they spotted the Lipan Apache Band camped on the banks of the Rio Grande de Norte or today's Rio Grande River between Texas and Mexico. In the year 1772 Spanish settlers and missionaries were constantly spotting the Lipan Apache Band between the Nueches, Frio and Rio Grande Rivers of Texas, living in that area.

In the year 1819 the Lipan Apache Band camped on the banks of the Rio Grande west of Laredo, Texas. History records show that the Spanish Empire ruled Mexico until 1821, when a second revolution occurred. this revolution ended more than three hundred years of Spanish rule and created the Mexican government headed by Agustin de Iturabide. In August 1821, Mexican Emperor Iturabide ruled the newly formed government of Mexico. They recognized the following chiefs from the Lipan Apache Band:

Cuelga de Castro, Jose Chiquito, Yolcna Pocaropa, Flacco, and El Mocha.

They signed the first Lipan Apache Band Treaty with Mexico in Monclava, Mexico in 1821, Northern Frontier Commandant General Gaspar Lopez constructed this treaty. Chief Cuelga de Castro, Jose Chiquito, Caboe, and Flacco all signed this treaty. In the year 1822 Stephen F. Austin claimed that the Lipan Apache Band and the Comanches helped in supporting the Revolution in the Province of Texas in the year 1812.

To tell the Castro Family history better, I will use excerpts from Colonial French explorer Jean Louis Berlandier. Berlandier reports meeting Cuelga de Castro on February 7, 1828, in Laredo, Texas. Berlandier also mentions three other chiefs of the Lipan Apache Band. They were:

El Cojo and Yolcna Pocaropa,

whom they documented as witnesses to the official Coronation of Mexican Emperor Iturbide in August of 1822. While in Mexico City The chiefs mentioned above signed a peace treaty and alliance against the Comanche Indians with the Mexican Government on August 17, 1822.

In the year 1836, after the defeat of the Mexican Army at San Jacinto, the United States Government recommended the enlistment of the Lipan Apache Band as raiders against Mexican settlements. The Lipans and Texans participated in raids for ten years between 1836 and 1846, to secure Texas's independence from Mexico.

In 1838 R. A. Iron Indian Commission reports for Texas:

Iron said that Cuelga was a sagacious, shrewd and intelligent man who vowed eternal hatred for the Mexican and Texan; as quoted by Cuelga de Castro January 8, 1838.

On February 15, 1839 Cuelga led a large group of Lipan Apache warriors and a Texan battalion of soldiers to attack the Comanche Indian s Camp at Spring Creek in the San Saba Valley of Texas. Cuelga de Castro was the only representative from the Lipan Apache Band to sign a treaty with The Republic of Texas on January 8, 1838. The location site of the treaty signing was at Live Oak Point, Texas in the rural Northeastern part of San Antonio, Texas.

In 1844 Ramon Castro replaced his father Cuelga de Castro as chief of the Lipan Apache Band. Unfortunately, Cuelga de Castro died of what might be called liver cirrhosis, and was said to have died in the year 1852. He is buried in the Old Missionary Cemetery of San Antonio, Texas. In 1861 Ramon Castro and some followers settled at Fort Belknap, Texas.

In 1867 they transferred the Lipans to Fort Griffin near Albany, Texas. By 1885 less that 20 Lipan Apache Band members were alive. Afterwards they transferred them to the Oklahoma Agency.

In researching Cuelga de Castro Family, I have only found the names of six male Castros. They are as follows:

Simon Castro, Ramon Castro, Seuge Castro, Lemas Castro, Raymond Castro, and Juan Castro, A.K.A. John Castro.

The Castro Family histories suggest that Juan Castro, a.k.a. John Castro, was born in the year 1812, in the City of Beeville, or Three Rivers, Texas; encompassing the Bee and Live Oak Counties.

John Castro was a participant of the San Saba Treaty between the Republic of Texas, the U.S. Government, and the Lipan Apache Indians signed on October 28, 1851 at San Saba in Bexar County Texas. Cuelga de Castro, Seuge Castro, and Ramon Castro were participants in the Tehuacama Creek Treaty Negotiations; between the Republic of Texas Government and Lipan Apache Indians, signed on October 9, 1844, at Tehuacama Creek, Texas. They listed Lemas Castro, John Castro, and Raymond Castro as leaders in the Tehuacama Creek Treaty Tribal Leadership List for the Republic of Texas Government. It was signed by the Lipan Apache Band dated January 15, 1845, at Tehuacama Creek, Texas.

Ramon Castro was also listed as a leader in the Tehuacama Creek Treaty Tribal Leadership List, dated January 16, 1845, at Tehuacama Creek, Texas. Ramon was the only witness at the Treaty Council of Texas Tribes at Tehuacama Creek, Texas. This was an agreement with the Republic of Texas Government and U.S. Government from August 27, 1845 to September 27, 1845, signed at Tehuacama Creek, Texas.

Simon and Ramon Castro presented themselves at the Military Post Campo Ciblo, Texas requesting reimbursement from the Republic of Texas Government and U.S. Government for property stolen by white settlers. On May 30, 1845 they filed a complaint in San Antonio, Texas.

Based on oral family history Juan Castro, a.k.a. Porfirio Castro, died in the year 1887, in the City of Pettus, in the County of Bee, in the State of Texas. His wife, Francisca Gonzalez was born in 1823, in the City of Cerralvo, in the State of Nuevo Leon, Mexico. Juan Castro married Francisca Gonzalez in 1854, in the City of Monterrey, in the State of Nuevo Leon, Mexico. The only four known children were:

Calixtro Gonzalez Castro, Juanita Gonzalez Castro, Albino Gonzalez Castro, and Manuel Gonzalez Castro.

In their prime, Juan Castro was a respected Lipan Apache War Captain, who resided in the Rio Grande Valley region, which the Lipan Apache Band proclaimed as their ancestral winter grounds. Juan's wife Francisca Gonzalez, was said to be a home servant in the City of Laredo, in the State of Tamaulipas, Mexico.

In 1861 Juan Castro, along with several leaders of his tribe, refused to move to Fort Griffin. They decided to move his people to Laredo, in the northern Mexican State of Nuevo Leon, Mexico. Through his genius, Juan Castro took charge of his tribal village on the banks of the Mexican Rio Grande River. He would often defend his people against Texan and Mexican soldiers who periodically raided their village.

The second Castro Family Ranch, or Lipan Apache Band stronghold village, was founded in the Mexican State of Nuevo Leon. The name of the small town was Cerralvo and is some forty miles northeast of the Mexican and United States border. This small town provided the Lipan Apache people with a mountainous terrain, which was well suited by its natural protection.

During the second Mexican Revolutionary War, the Porfirio Diaz Government of Mexico ordered guerilla fighters to raid and set fire to all Indian villages and ranches found within the boundaries of the northern state provinces of Mexico. Mexican soldiers were also directed to kill all occupants living there despite age, gender, or sex. The Diaz government was retaliating for acts committed by Apaches bands, and other renegade tribal bands in the Rio Grande region.

Diaz also suspected all Indian peoples of hiding resistance fighters, who were trying to overthrow the regional governors in the provinces of northern Mexico. The Diaz Government therefore justified the mass killings of the Indian peoples based on misleading accounts from various regional governors and hacienda owners. This was the excuse used by the Diaz Government to say that the Indians were harboring resistance fighters.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #40
Level 3 - Talker

Re: 05 - Lipan Conjuring Lyrics....

http://www.indians.org/welker/lipanap.htm

The origins of the Castro Family start in the Northern part of the State of Texas. The Castro Family comes from proud Indian heritage and culture lost over the years to our families denial of being Native American.

The word Apache means:

"People of the Mountains";

the word Lipan means:

"Warriors of the Mountains".

However, to the Lipan Apache Band,

they called themselves the "Tindi",

which means the above mentioned in their Native language.

The Colonial Spanish Missionaries at San Saba Mission de La Santa Cruz gave the Castro surname to the Lipan Apache Band Chief Cuelga de Castro. Before 1725 the Lipan Apache Band village site was found some 250 miles Northwest of modern-day Austin, Texas.

In 1740, the Lipan Apache Band village site was located some 50 miles Northwest of today's San Antonio, Texas at Tancahe Camp on the Rio Colorado de Texas. In 1757, the Colonial Spanish Government built the Mission San Saba de la Santa Cruz for the Lipan Apache Band, closed the following year due to constant attacks by the Comanche Indians. The Mission San Saba is found ninety miles Northeast of San Antonio, Texas and is found on the banks of the San Saba River. During the mid 1700's, Spanish Missionaries wishing to convert the Native American peoples of Texas would give Native American leaders Spanish names before converting them into Christianity.

Spanish Missionaries gave Lipan Apache Band Chief Cuelga the name Cuelga de Castro. They have estimated that Cuelga was born in the year 1762. Cuelga de Castro was born in the Lipan Apache Band Village on the river banks between the San Saba and Colorado Rivers Texas. These rivers are found near what they called Lipan's Field. The strip of land is found between the Rio de Los Llanos toward the Guadalupe Rivers. In the year 1768 they spotted the Lipan Apache Band camped on the banks of the Rio Grande de Norte or today's Rio Grande River between Texas and Mexico. In the year 1772 Spanish settlers and missionaries were constantly spotting the Lipan Apache Band between the Nueches, Frio and Rio Grande Rivers of Texas, living in that area.

In the year 1819 the Lipan Apache Band camped on the banks of the Rio Grande west of Laredo, Texas. History records show that the Spanish Empire ruled Mexico until 1821, when a second revolution occurred. this revolution ended more than three hundred years of Spanish rule and created the Mexican government headed by Agustin de Iturabide. In August 1821, Mexican Emperor Iturabide ruled the newly formed government of Mexico. They recognized the following chiefs from the Lipan Apache Band:

Cuelga de Castro, Jose Chiquito, Yolcna Pocaropa, Flacco, and El Mocha.

They signed the first Lipan Apache Band Treaty with Mexico in Monclava, Mexico in 1821, Northern Frontier Commandant General Gaspar Lopez constructed this treaty. Chief Cuelga de Castro, Jose Chiquito, Caboe, and Flacco all signed this treaty. In the year 1822 Stephen F. Austin claimed that the Lipan Apache Band and the Comanches helped in supporting the Revolution in the Province of Texas in the year 1812.

To tell the Castro Family history better, I will use excerpts from Colonial French explorer Jean Louis Berlandier. Berlandier reports meeting Cuelga de Castro on February 7, 1828, in Laredo, Texas. Berlandier also mentions three other chiefs of the Lipan Apache Band. They were:

El Cojo and Yolcna Pocaropa,

whom they documented as witnesses to the official Coronation of Mexican Emperor Iturbide in August of 1822. While in Mexico City The chiefs mentioned above signed a peace treaty and alliance against the Comanche Indians with the Mexican Government on August 17, 1822.

In the year 1836, after the defeat of the Mexican Army at San Jacinto, the United States Government recommended the enlistment of the Lipan Apache Band as raiders against Mexican settlements. The Lipans and Texans participated in raids for ten years between 1836 and 1846, to secure Texas's independence from Mexico.

In 1838 R. A. Iron Indian Commission reports for Texas:

Iron said that Cuelga was a sagacious, shrewd and intelligent man who vowed eternal hatred for the Mexican and Texan; as quoted by Cuelga de Castro January 8, 1838.

On February 15, 1839 Cuelga led a large group of Lipan Apache warriors and a Texan battalion of soldiers to attack the Comanche Indian s Camp at Spring Creek in the San Saba Valley of Texas. Cuelga de Castro was the only representative from the Lipan Apache Band to sign a treaty with The Republic of Texas on January 8, 1838. The location site of the treaty signing was at Live Oak Point, Texas in the rural Northeastern part of San Antonio, Texas.

In 1844 Ramon Castro replaced his father Cuelga de Castro as chief of the Lipan Apache Band. Unfortunately, Cuelga de Castro died of what might be called liver cirrhosis, and was said to have died in the year 1852. He is buried in the Old Missionary Cemetery of San Antonio, Texas. In 1861 Ramon Castro and some followers settled at Fort Belknap, Texas.

In 1867 they transferred the Lipans to Fort Griffin near Albany, Texas. By 1885 less that 20 Lipan Apache Band members were alive. Afterwards they transferred them to the Oklahoma Agency.

In researching Cuelga de Castro Family, I have only found the names of six male Castros. They are as follows:

Simon Castro, Ramon Castro, Seuge Castro, Lemas Castro, Raymond Castro, and Juan Castro, A.K.A. John Castro.

The Castro Family histories suggest that Juan Castro, a.k.a. John Castro, was born in the year 1812, in the City of Beeville, or Three Rivers, Texas; encompassing the Bee and Live Oak Counties.

John Castro was a participant of the San Saba Treaty between the Republic of Texas, the U.S. Government, and the Lipan Apache Indians signed on October 28, 1851 at San Saba in Bexar County Texas. Cuelga de Castro, Seuge Castro, and Ramon Castro were participants in the Tehuacama Creek Treaty Negotiations; between the Republic of Texas Government and Lipan Apache Indians, signed on October 9, 1844, at Tehuacama Creek, Texas. They listed Lemas Castro, John Castro, and Raymond Castro as leaders in the Tehuacama Creek Treaty Tribal Leadership List for the Republic of Texas Government. It was signed by the Lipan Apache Band dated January 15, 1845, at Tehuacama Creek, Texas.

Ramon Castro was also listed as a leader in the Tehuacama Creek Treaty Tribal Leadership List, dated January 16, 1845, at Tehuacama Creek, Texas. Ramon was the only witness at the Treaty Council of Texas Tribes at Tehuacama Creek, Texas. This was an agreement with the Republic of Texas Government and U.S. Government from August 27, 1845 to September 27, 1845, signed at Tehuacama Creek, Texas.

Simon and Ramon Castro presented themselves at the Military Post Campo Ciblo, Texas requesting reimbursement from the Republic of Texas Government and U.S. Government for property stolen by white settlers. On May 30, 1845 they filed a complaint in San Antonio, Texas.

Based on oral family history Juan Castro, a.k.a. Porfirio Castro, died in the year 1887, in the City of Pettus, in the County of Bee, in the State of Texas. His wife, Francisca Gonzalez was born in 1823, in the City of Cerralvo, in the State of Nuevo Leon, Mexico. Juan Castro married Francisca Gonzalez in 1854, in the City of Monterrey, in the State of Nuevo Leon, Mexico. The only four known children were:

Calixtro Gonzalez Castro, Juanita Gonzalez Castro, Albino Gonzalez Castro, and Manuel Gonzalez Castro.

In their prime, Juan Castro was a respected Lipan Apache War Captain, who resided in the Rio Grande Valley region, which the Lipan Apache Band proclaimed as their ancestral winter grounds. Juan's wife Francisca Gonzalez, was said to be a home servant in the City of Laredo, in the State of Tamaulipas, Mexico.

In 1861 Juan Castro, along with several leaders of his tribe, refused to move to Fort Griffin. They decided to move his people to Laredo, in the northern Mexican State of Nuevo Leon, Mexico. Through his genius, Juan Castro took charge of his tribal village on the banks of the Mexican Rio Grande River. He would often defend his people against Texan and Mexican soldiers who periodically raided their village.

The second Castro Family Ranch, or Lipan Apache Band stronghold village, was founded in the Mexican State of Nuevo Leon. The name of the small town was Cerralvo and is some forty miles northeast of the Mexican and United States border. This small town provided the Lipan Apache people with a mountainous terrain, which was well suited by its natural protection.

During the second Mexican Revolutionary War, the Porfirio Diaz Government of Mexico ordered guerilla fighters to raid and set fire to all Indian villages and ranches found within the boundaries of the northern state provinces of Mexico. Mexican soldiers were also directed to kill all occupants living there despite age, gender, or sex. The Diaz government was retaliating for acts committed by Apaches bands, and other renegade tribal bands in the Rio Grande region.

Diaz also suspected all Indian peoples of hiding resistance fighters, who were trying to overthrow the regional governors in the provinces of northern Mexico. The Diaz Government therefore justified the mass killings of the Indian peoples based on misleading accounts from various regional governors and hacienda owners. This was the excuse used by the Diaz Government to say that the Indians were harboring resistance fighters.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply