Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Apachana's Avatar Apachana
03-23-2009, 06:38 PM

I'm content with your solution.
"In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? - like some hand of god hovering above... At least it is true, that man has no control even over his own will."
Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #201
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1759
Re: Newsletter Secret.

I'm content with your solution.
"In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? - like some hand of god hovering above... At least it is true, that man has no control even over his own will."
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
ufopancakes's Avatar ufopancakes
03-24-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
By your assumptions and theories throughout this thread we might as well not have the word or quality of impossible at all. Yet it exists.

Basically this is what it boils down to:
1. Calculate the probability of a human being suddenly being able to breathe pure phosgene gas as if it were air.
2. Explain how this insanely low probability is significant enough to even bother with considering such a thing as a possibility.
The likelihood of that is next to nothing, and I agree that the insignificance would render it NEXT to impossible... and its so insignificant and irrelevant that it isn't even worth talking about... but we cannot approach it with as dismissive language as 'impossible'.

This is the bottom line... in the game of life, we are all infants in a fucking calculus class. We all draw our own subjective conclusions, and thats fine. We are all learning, and if we dismiss anything as impossible, even though we acknowledge that it in fact isn't, just highly improbable, we mentally condition ourselves to put obstacles in front of possible paths of innovation.

The only quarrel we are having here is about language... We both agree on the low degree of significance or relevance of the matter(s) itself... but it must be taken into consideration that language is HUGE. Its been proven that a person that states "I want a Cigarette" is far more likely to succeed quitting smoking than the person who habitually says "I need a cigarette".
Old 03-24-2009, 02:46 AM   #202
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
By your assumptions and theories throughout this thread we might as well not have the word or quality of impossible at all. Yet it exists.

Basically this is what it boils down to:
1. Calculate the probability of a human being suddenly being able to breathe pure phosgene gas as if it were air.
2. Explain how this insanely low probability is significant enough to even bother with considering such a thing as a possibility.
The likelihood of that is next to nothing, and I agree that the insignificance would render it NEXT to impossible... and its so insignificant and irrelevant that it isn't even worth talking about... but we cannot approach it with as dismissive language as 'impossible'.

This is the bottom line... in the game of life, we are all infants in a fucking calculus class. We all draw our own subjective conclusions, and thats fine. We are all learning, and if we dismiss anything as impossible, even though we acknowledge that it in fact isn't, just highly improbable, we mentally condition ourselves to put obstacles in front of possible paths of innovation.

The only quarrel we are having here is about language... We both agree on the low degree of significance or relevance of the matter(s) itself... but it must be taken into consideration that language is HUGE. Its been proven that a person that states "I want a Cigarette" is far more likely to succeed quitting smoking than the person who habitually says "I need a cigarette".
03-24-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Lol. I don't hang, nor do I physically fuck with in any way, people who want to attempt forward thinking.
Come again? Are you implying that evolution and innovation are bad things? Is there anything wrong with forward thinking when the world we live in is less than satisfactory?

Quote:
And besides, the very fact that quantum particles have a discrete state of existance when observed, which is the only way to experience such phenomena, shows that it is flatly impossible to view something that is everywhere at once. You are impaled by your own strawman.
*Everywhere and Nowhere* Thats the theory anyway... And the only way to experience such phenomina is in fact technology. The point wasn't the theory or the experiment... the point is that many people are dismissing it because they are so baffled by what it implies, and the most painful of implications to these ego heads is that they may have been wrong, and things may be quite different than what they seem.

I don't think its a coincidence that you have a hard time admitting fault from what I've seen.

Quote:
It's okay though. Everybody goes through the phase you're going through. I had my own phase of insisting that nothing is impossible. But eventually I, just as many others before and after me, realized that when it comes time to talk about reality, things have to be written off after a certain cutoff point as impossible.
aaaand... my point is that when you do that you put road blocks on innovation and possible discoveries. With our finite perspective and existence, nothing can be fully determined to be infinately impossible, which is what you imply by simply stating the word "Impossible". There is a big difference between "That is impossible" and "That is not possible at this time for us".

Is it at all impossible that dismissive language like that could prevent someone from persuing thought in an arean, and possibly make a new discovery?

Quote:
Ask a mathematics expert to define a finite number divided by infinity. The young inexperienced ones will try to explain the idea of an-ever decreasing quantity with the asymptote at zero. The ones who don't care to bother with the bullshit and have real work to do will call it zero.
Are you implying that you have some "real work to do"? You sure spend a lot of time on these forums for me to believe that one...
Old 03-24-2009, 03:13 AM   #203
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Lol. I don't hang, nor do I physically fuck with in any way, people who want to attempt forward thinking.
Come again? Are you implying that evolution and innovation are bad things? Is there anything wrong with forward thinking when the world we live in is less than satisfactory?

Quote:
And besides, the very fact that quantum particles have a discrete state of existance when observed, which is the only way to experience such phenomena, shows that it is flatly impossible to view something that is everywhere at once. You are impaled by your own strawman.
*Everywhere and Nowhere* Thats the theory anyway... And the only way to experience such phenomina is in fact technology. The point wasn't the theory or the experiment... the point is that many people are dismissing it because they are so baffled by what it implies, and the most painful of implications to these ego heads is that they may have been wrong, and things may be quite different than what they seem.

I don't think its a coincidence that you have a hard time admitting fault from what I've seen.

Quote:
It's okay though. Everybody goes through the phase you're going through. I had my own phase of insisting that nothing is impossible. But eventually I, just as many others before and after me, realized that when it comes time to talk about reality, things have to be written off after a certain cutoff point as impossible.
aaaand... my point is that when you do that you put road blocks on innovation and possible discoveries. With our finite perspective and existence, nothing can be fully determined to be infinately impossible, which is what you imply by simply stating the word "Impossible". There is a big difference between "That is impossible" and "That is not possible at this time for us".

Is it at all impossible that dismissive language like that could prevent someone from persuing thought in an arean, and possibly make a new discovery?

Quote:
Ask a mathematics expert to define a finite number divided by infinity. The young inexperienced ones will try to explain the idea of an-ever decreasing quantity with the asymptote at zero. The ones who don't care to bother with the bullshit and have real work to do will call it zero.
Are you implying that you have some "real work to do"? You sure spend a lot of time on these forums for me to believe that one...
03-24-2009, 03:17 PM

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII JUST WANNA TELL YOU HOW I'M FEELIIIIINN
GOTTA MAKE YOU UNDERSTAAAAND

NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP
NEVER GONNA LET YOU DOWN
NEVER GONNA TURRRN AROUUUUND
Old 03-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #204
On Probation

Bincount™: 7

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII JUST WANNA TELL YOU HOW I'M FEELIIIIINN
GOTTA MAKE YOU UNDERSTAAAAND