Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Jaap74
05-12-2010, 12:41 AM

Hi,

First post on the forums.

I did a search for this but found nothing so :

Has anyone heard the DTS 5.1 version of 10,000 Days which is floating around on various torrent sites ? I just listened to it and thought it was pretty good, perhaps a little too much coming from the sub but I managed to turn that down.

Any other opinions ?

NB : I have of course bought a copy of 10,000 Days so thought there no harm downloading the torrent. I would never of course encourage ripping the band off via illegal downloads !

Cheers,
Jaap

Last edited by Jaap74; 05-12-2010 at 12:49 AM..
Old 05-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
DTS 5.1 version of 10,000 Days

Hi,

First post on the forums.

I did a search for this but found nothing so :

Has anyone heard the DTS 5.1 version of 10,000 Days which is floating around on various torrent sites ? I just listened to it and thought it was pretty good, perhaps a little too much coming from the sub but I managed to turn that down.

Any other opinions ?

NB : I have of course bought a copy of 10,000 Days so thought there no harm downloading the torrent. I would never of course encourage ripping the band off via illegal downloads !

Cheers,
Jaap

Last edited by Jaap74; 05-12-2010 at 12:49 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Michał's Avatar Michał
05-12-2010, 10:55 PM

Wow, dude, it would be impressive. I'm pretty sure it's just an unofficial remix.
I'd really check it out, but I own a stereo system only and I'm not looking forward to get 5.1 at all (all that standards, speaker alignment, you'd need a separate room with the couch in the middle :P). This album has some serious potential for spacial effects, Barresi also mentioned the 24Bit/192kHz sources kept somewhere in a safe place.
One question: How about the dynamic range? Is it as compressed as the original or even more? :D
Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 35
Re: DTS 5.1 version of 10,000 Days

Wow, dude, it would be impressive. I'm pretty sure it's just an unofficial remix.
I'd really check it out, but I own a stereo system only and I'm not looking forward to get 5.1 at all (all that standards, speaker alignment, you'd need a separate room with the couch in the middle :P). This album has some serious potential for spacial effects, Barresi also mentioned the 24Bit/192kHz sources kept somewhere in a safe place.
One question: How about the dynamic range? Is it as compressed as the original or even more? :D
tummy_sticks
05-13-2010, 05:36 AM

Like they released Parabola and The Pot on 5.1, not going to happen.

I want it recorded from the masters, but Adam seems to not wnat to step into the 21st century, or release it in 20 years time, he knows this band has laid the golden egg.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
On Probation

Bincount™: 472

I want it recorded from the masters, but Adam seems to not wnat to step into the 21st century, or release it in 20 years time, he knows this band has laid the golden egg.
Jaap74
05-13-2010, 08:34 PM

Yeah I know it wasn't an official release. Not sure how it was done but it works ok. I didn't notice any difference re dynamic range to the CD version
Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Yeah I know it wasn't an official release. Not sure how it was done but it works ok. I didn't notice any difference re dynamic range to the CD version
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
05-14-2010, 02:15 PM

5 bucks says someone took the CD of the album, put it through a pirated surround sound mixer, and pooped out a 5.1 mix that will fool idiots on the internet. I'm not even going to bother looking for it because I'm certain it's homemade.

You want a 5.1 mix? Set your receiver to Dolby Pro Logic II and upmix it that way. It actually works pretty well, and some receivers let you change the parameters too, so you can tweak the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy_sticks View Post
What are you talking about? The Parabola and Schism (not The Pot) DVD's are in stereo only. Salival has 5.1 mixes, as well as the Vicarious DVD.

Quote:
Say what? The CD was created from the masters...if that's what you're talking about. They recorded analog, dumped it to digital, then edited with Pro Tools and created a digital master, which was used to master the CD.

Barresi hinted at the possibilities of a 5.1 mix in one of the first interviews he did on the album. Everything is sitting there, digitally ready to roll, it just needs someone to do the mix...

Last edited by hushypushy; 05-15-2010 at 11:06 AM..
Old 05-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

5 bucks says someone took the CD of the album, put it through a pirated surround sound mixer, and pooped out a 5.1 mix that will fool idiots on the internet. I'm not even going to bother looking for it because I'm certain it's homemade.

You want a 5.1 mix? Set your receiver to Dolby Pro Logic II and upmix it that way. It actually works pretty well, and some receivers let you change the parameters too, so you can tweak the sound.

Quote:
What are you talking about? The Parabola and Schism (not The Pot) DVD's are in stereo only. Salival has 5.1 mixes, as well as the Vicarious DVD.

Quote:
Say what? The CD was created from the masters...if that's what you're talking about. They recorded analog, dumped it to digital, then edited with Pro Tools and created a digital master, which was used to master the CD.

Barresi hinted at the possibilities of a 5.1 mix in one of the first interviews he did on the album. Everything is sitting there, digitally ready to roll, it just needs someone to do the mix...

Last edited by hushypushy; 05-15-2010 at 11:06 AM..
Jaap74
05-14-2010, 07:24 PM

Well regardless of it being homemade I like it so thats all that matters !
Old 05-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Well regardless of it being homemade I like it so thats all that matters !
05-15-2010, 10:58 AM

Just out of curiosity, does your receiver have any upmixing modes? Have you tried them? Even my super cheap Pioneer had a couple of Pro Logic II settings. If you can, put in the stereo CD and check out the hardware upmix. I listened to quite a few albums on the "music" setting, it's actually not bad. Wings for Marie was particularly interesting, among 10,000 Days tracks. The whole album worked pretty well actually.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Level 11 - Clamorous

Just out of curiosity, does your receiver have any upmixing modes? Have you tried them? Even my super cheap Pioneer had a couple of Pro Logic II settings. If you can, put in the stereo CD and check out the hardware upmix. I listened to quite a few albums on the "music" setting, it's actually not bad. Wings for Marie was particularly interesting, among 10,000 Days tracks. The whole album worked pretty well actually.
05-15-2010, 01:13 PM

I'd only really like to hear Wings/10,000 Days in 5.1. Every time i listen to them with a good set of headphones, Adam's part with his delay mix oscillating from left to right and the tremolo effect make it sound like its spiraling around my head. I'd love to actually hear that with full surround. If I had a 5.1 setup at my disposal, I'd certainly give that upmixing method a try.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

I'd only really like to hear Wings/10,000 Days in 5.1. Every time i listen to them with a good set of headphones, Adam's part with his delay mix oscillating from left to right and the tremolo effect make it sound like its spiraling around my head. I'd love to actually hear that with full surround. If I had a 5.1 setup at my disposal, I'd certainly give that upmixing method a try.
05-16-2010, 12:46 PM

That's the cool thing, the upmix really works. The swirling crap goes through the rear speakers, pretty neato.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
Level 11 - Clamorous

That's the cool thing, the upmix really works. The swirling crap goes through the rear speakers, pretty neato.
05-16-2010, 12:57 PM

No shit? Hmm. Looks like I have something to invest in now.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

05-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
I used to be a fiend for 5.1 mixes. If you're the type who gets really immersed in music, surround sound is fantastic. For most people it's an annoyance to have to sit in the sweet spot to hear everything correctly.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
I used to be a fiend for 5.1 mixes. If you're the type who gets really immersed in music, surround sound is fantastic. For most people it's an annoyance to have to sit in the sweet spot to hear everything correctly.
02-18-2012, 09:08 AM

At the risk of sounding like a salesman,Let me tell you I bought a program to make dvd surround discs of my collections.Called HD audio solo. I gotta say for the most part it works BUT it has to be good quality files.It mostly works but sometimes you make coasters. But when I get a good one it's freakin awsome. I never use mp3's for use flac or better.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

At the risk of sounding like a salesman,Let me tell you I bought a program to make dvd surround discs of my collections.Called HD audio solo. I gotta say for the most part it works BUT it has to be good quality files.It mostly works but sometimes you make coasters. But when I get a good one it's freakin awsome. I never use mp3's for use flac or better.
narenn
08-12-2018, 03:00 AM

At the risk of sounding like another tool navy fsggit- by no way of encouraging such home-made sorround sound upmixes- let alone pirated ip. For some one who hadn't bought any tool merchandise and still calls himself a fan I really enjoyed the DTS copy- though the audio may be subpar to the original stereo /digitally mastered.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:00 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

At the risk of sounding like another tool navy fsggit- by no way of encouraging such home-made sorround sound upmixes- let alone pirated ip. For some one who hadn't bought any tool merchandise and still calls himself a fan I really enjoyed the DTS copy- though the audio may be subpar to the original stereo /digitally mastered.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply