Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
PriceisRight's Avatar PriceisRight
06-01-2006, 09:34 AM

I'm pretty sure he's saying:

"Give me pieeeeees"

he's just hungry...feed the man!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #161
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes, Dim my eyes

I'm pretty sure he's saying:

"Give me pieeeeees"

he's just hungry...feed the man!
06-01-2006, 10:34 AM

i thought it was "hair pies".....anyway its the best new song live in my opinion
Old 06-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #162
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

i thought it was "hair pies".....anyway its the best new song live in my opinion
k~nug's Avatar k~nug
06-01-2006, 08:07 PM

I thought it was damn until I heard it clearly through some car speaks. There is a J and a B.

Jambi

www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm

www.matter4u.com pics and music
Old 06-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #163

Bincount™: 4

I thought it was damn until I heard it clearly through some car speaks. There is a J and a B.

Jambi

www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm

www.matter4u.com pics and music
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
æmoeba•°·.'s Avatar æmoeba•°·.
06-01-2006, 08:15 PM

i'm telling you all it's " JAMBI..IIIIIIII'S " as in plural...he holds the "i"....

You can clearly here the "s" at the end and you can tell all he does is take the "I" in Jami and extends it and adds different pitches to it so that it flows with the music.....

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 06-01-2006 at 08:19 PM..
Old 06-01-2006, 08:15 PM   #164
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

i'm telling you all it's " JAMBI..IIIIIIII'S " as in plural...he holds the "i"....

You can clearly here the "s" at the end and you can tell all he does is take the "I" in Jami and extends it and adds different pitches to it so that it flows with the music.....

Last edited by æmoeba•°·.; 06-01-2006 at 08:19 PM..
06-01-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by æmoeba•°·.

no...there are three sylibals in the sentence.

Unless he says it like Jam-bi-iiiiiiiii which is stupid then it can't work.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #165

Quote:

Unless he says it like Jam-bi-iiiiiiiii which is stupid then it can't work.
06-01-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceisRight

Unless he says it like Jam-bi-iiiiiiiii's which is stupid then it can't work.

lol it isn't stupid and it does work, you don't understand the flow of music...
Old 06-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #166
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Unless he says it like Jam-bi-iiiiiiiii's which is stupid then it can't work.

Luosdasa's Avatar Luosdasa
06-01-2006, 11:11 PM

Im thinking that perhaps we should give this a rest... no ones going to change everyones mind untill official lyrics come out, seems kind of a waste of time.
Meh, i spose u can continue arguing it if u really want too, but im out.

(ps, theres a "j" on the second line... :P)
Old 06-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #167
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Im thinking that perhaps we should give this a rest... no ones going to change everyones mind untill official lyrics come out, seems kind of a waste of time.
Meh, i spose u can continue arguing it if u really want too, but im out.

(ps, theres a "j" on the second line... :P)
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
06-02-2006, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar
it doesn't matter if it makes sense to YOU. i'm not sure Maynard is singing this just for you. just because "jam-bye" doesn't make sense to you, then your rationale is that it is impossible Maynard can be singing that in a song. that's just bad reasoning.

stop writing "i think he says...." and "maybe it's...."

the phonetics are as follows: "D amn/im my eyes. J ambized/am my eyes. D im/amn my eyes if they should compromise....."

i'm not writing what I THINK it could be, i'm writing what is CLEARLY coming through my speakers. the speakers in my house, in my car, in my headphones, etc. it IS in the music. you may have a different copy of the cd, but in mine, and many others, these phonetics that i mentioned above are undoubtedly there.

please stop trying to deny it with a closed mind. whether or not you understand the lyrics is inconsequential. just because you have held steadfast in your belief of "damn, dim, dim" or "dim, dim, dim" doesn't mean you are right. sometimes people's closed minds end up closing their ears as well.

and no, i am not saying that you are a closed minded person for not agreeing with what he sings, or even not hearing what is clearly there. i'm just saying that someone who disagrees should come over and listen to the cd i have, and then try to tell me "JAMBI EYES" or "JAMBI-IZED" isn't there, right to my face.

just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it inconceivable.
So, are you telling me that you definitively know every word to every song on the album because the phoenetics are there? Come on! Are you saying that when the lyrics for Undertow finally came out you didn't experience any surprise? There are numerous lyrics spread throughout Tool's lexicon that (phoenetically interpreted) are suprising. Once Maynard tells us what he is actually saying, of course, it becomes much easier to hear the slight nuances that construct the whole. But your assertion that the phoentics are enough to draw definitive conclusion is flawed in the context of this band (and most bands of any value, for that matter).

Look, I'm not saying that it can't be "Jam-bye." I just think that if we are going to discuss lyrics at a time when there is no definitve canon available, then people need to construct their arguments in a way that explains or justifies their leaps. Aside from phoenetics (which really are muddied by effects processing and aggressive instrumentation), nobody can offer a rationale that is (as the root of "rationale" would seemingly require) rational.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-02-2006, 05:27 AM   #168
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar
it doesn't matter if it makes sense to YOU. i'm not sure Maynard is singing this just for you. just because "jam-bye" doesn't make sense to you, then your rationale is that it is impossible Maynard can be singing that in a song. that's just bad reasoning.

stop writing "i think he says...." and "maybe it's...."

the phonetics are as follows: "D amn/im my eyes. J ambized/am my eyes. D im/amn my eyes if they should compromise....."

i'm not writing what I THINK it could be, i'm writing what is CLEARLY coming through my speakers. the speakers in my house, in my car, in my headphones, etc. it IS in the music. you may have a different copy of the cd, but in mine, and many others, these phonetics that i mentioned above are undoubtedly there.

please stop trying to deny it with a closed mind. whether or not you understand the lyrics is inconsequential. just because you have held steadfast in your belief of "damn, dim, dim" or "dim, dim, dim" doesn't mean you are right. sometimes people's closed minds end up closing their ears as well.

and no, i am not saying that you are a closed minded person for not agreeing with what he sings, or even not hearing what is clearly there. i'm just saying that someone who disagrees should come over and listen to the cd i have, and then try to tell me "JAMBI EYES" or "JAMBI-IZED" isn't there, right to my face.

just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it inconceivable.
So, are you telling me that you definitively know every word to every song on the album because the phoenetics are there? Come on! Are you saying that when the lyrics for Undertow finally came out you didn't experience any surprise? There are numerous lyrics spread throughout Tool's lexicon that (phoenetically interpreted) are suprising. Once Maynard tells us what he is actually saying, of course, it becomes much easier to hear the slight nuances that construct the whole. But your assertion that the phoentics are enough to draw definitive conclusion is flawed in the context of this band (and most bands of any value, for that matter).

Look, I'm not saying that it can't be "Jam-bye." I just think that if we are going to discuss lyrics at a time when there is no definitve canon available, then people need to construct their arguments in a way that explains or justifies their leaps. Aside from phoenetics (which really are muddied by effects processing and aggressive instrumentation), nobody can offer a rationale that is (as the root of "rationale" would seemingly require) rational.
But I'll pull through
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
06-02-2006, 09:37 AM

I say it's "Dim my eyes, Jambi eyes, Damn my eyes
Old 06-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #169
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

I say it's "Dim my eyes, Jambi eyes, Damn my eyes
06-02-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
the only way I could see it working is if the not change makes it sound like a 3rd sylibal
Old 06-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #170

Quote:
the only way I could see it working is if the not change makes it sound like a 3rd sylibal
06-02-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
GOOD JOB CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!!...Maynard's done it in past songs before....
Old 06-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #171
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
06-02-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I'm so proud.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #172

Quote:
I'm so proud.
06-02-2006, 06:43 PM

lol...proud after the 5th time of me explainging it so vaguely and you finally getting it...
Old 06-02-2006, 06:43 PM   #173
Level 7 - Loquacious

lol...proud after the 5th time of me explainging it so vaguely and you finally getting it...
I Chas I's Avatar I Chas I
06-07-2006, 05:58 PM

dim my eyes
dim my eyes
dim my eyes if they should comprimise the fulcrum watching me. divide me then i might as well be gone.

Thats what i hear. Im not saying you are wrong. Im not saying im right. But that is what i will hear untill the official lyrics are posted. I have tried, but i have never, ever, herd Jambi eyes.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #174
Level 4 - Thinker

dim my eyes
dim my eyes
dim my eyes if they should comprimise the fulcrum watching me. divide me then i might as well be gone.

Thats what i hear. Im not saying you are wrong. Im not saying im right. But that is what i will hear untill the official lyrics are posted. I have tried, but i have never, ever, herd Jambi eyes.
06-07-2006, 07:48 PM

Can't believe you fools are still arguing about this. It is definately "Damn my eyes, Jambi eyes, Dim my eyes if they should compromise the fulcrum, want and need divide me then I might as well be gone" How does that just not make perfect sense.

Now for the sake of argument, if you look up the correct pronunciation of Jambi however, it is pronounced like "jahm-bee"...which is why for a long time I disagreed with "jambi" being said but if you turn all bass off and turn up the treble you can clearly hear "jam-bye" pronounced.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #175
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Can't believe you fools are still arguing about this. It is definately "Damn my eyes, Jambi eyes, Dim my eyes if they should compromise the fulcrum, want and need divide me then I might as well be gone" How does that just not make perfect sense.

Now for the sake of argument, if you look up the correct pronunciation of Jambi however, it is pronounced like "jahm-bee"...which is why for a long time I disagreed with "jambi" being said but if you turn all bass off and turn up the treble you can clearly hear "jam-bye" pronounced.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:13 AM   #176
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

06-10-2006, 04:51 PM

So this is still up . . ? I thought it was locked. Well, game on!
But I'll pull through
Old 06-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #177
Ron Swampson

So this is still up . . ? I thought it was locked. Well, game on!
But I'll pull through
QuantumMind's Avatar QuantumMind
06-10-2006, 05:05 PM

Damn my eyes, Jambi eyes, Jam my eyes if they should...
Old 06-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #178
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

tonedef
06-10-2006, 05:44 PM

i think that the context and enuciation in which the "jam" is refered to is "jamb", as in the frame of a door, -> eyes: "windows to the soul", door: through which one enters or exits -> soul perhaphs (connexion?) ??? possibly maybe. peace :-)
Old 06-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #179
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 4

i think that the context and enuciation in which the "jam" is refered to is "jamb", as in the frame of a door, -> eyes: "windows to the soul", door: through which one enters or exits -> soul perhaphs (connexion?) ??? possibly maybe. peace :-)
06-10-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumMind
Alright, your turn. What does this mean?
But I'll pull through
Old 06-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #180
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumMind
Alright, your turn. What does this mean?
But I'll pull through
06-10-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef
It's a bit of a stretch because it's yoda-speak (noun+possesive pronoun+noun=sentence?), but I suppose it's possible. The definition of jamb specifically references window frames, so you need not leap from doors to windows . . . I still can't quite see what it means, though . . .
But I'll pull through
Old 06-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #181
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef
It's a bit of a stretch because it's yoda-speak (noun+possesive pronoun+noun=sentence?), but I suppose it's possible. The definition of jamb specifically references window frames, so you need not leap from doors to windows . . . I still can't quite see what it means, though . . .
But I'll pull through
06-10-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00LHEAD
ok so jamb=door jam. so maybe bi=2 as in 2 eyes.
I'm not sold on that . . .
But I'll pull through
Old 06-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #182
Ron Swampson

Quote:
I'm not sold on that . . .
But I'll pull through
Shaz's Avatar Shaz
06-11-2006, 12:52 AM

Meh, i can wait till the lyrics are posted by the MAN, cuz he is the man. But maybe, if it is Jam-bi-iiiiii in the lyrics, and if its about his son... could be an inside joke between the two, something only a tool lead singer and his son would understand and laugh about 5, 10 years down the road.

but whatever
peace
Old 06-11-2006, 12:52 AM   #183
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Meh, i can wait till the lyrics are posted by the MAN, cuz he is the man. But maybe, if it is Jam-bi-iiiiii in the lyrics, and if its about his son... could be an inside joke between the two, something only a tool lead singer and his son would understand and laugh about 5, 10 years down the road.

but whatever
peace
06-11-2006, 06:24 AM

I'm pretty certain he sings "Vicarious's".
Old 06-11-2006, 06:24 AM   #184
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

kaross579
06-13-2006, 12:07 PM

OK, here's what I did:

Took the audio file and slowed the tempo down about 75%.... cut out the Bass and some of the mids to isolate the vocals more. Based on that, the first and third lines sound like "Damn" then "Dim" to me, but it is inconclusive. However, I am 100% sure that the middle line has a 'J' sound and 'B' sound in it.

Now granted, who knows if that's Maynard improvising or whatever, but the sounds are definitely there.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #185
Level 1 - Lurker

OK, here's what I did:

Took the audio file and slowed the tempo down about 75%.... cut out the Bass and some of the mids to isolate the vocals more. Based on that, the first and third lines sound like "Damn" then "Dim" to me, but it is inconclusive. However, I am 100% sure that the middle line has a 'J' sound and 'B' sound in it.

Now granted, who knows if that's Maynard improvising or whatever, but the sounds are definitely there.
06-13-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
You're such a Tool. It's "Viginti Tres's." Clear as day.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #186
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
But I'll pull through
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-13-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
Jammit! My fault.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #187
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
Jammit! My fault.
alootaps
06-15-2006, 07:04 AM

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...damn+your+eyes!

anybody ever take into account that maynard has an accent? or that he mumbles sometimes? damn your eyes is an old ass saying. i first heard it in the young frankenstein movie. no matter what maynard's mumblings sound like, i definitely believe he is saying "damn" my eyes. it makes the most sense in the context of the rest of the line, to me.

hell, maybe i'm wrong and it's "Jim, my eyes!"

as in, "Hey Jim! Where did you put my eyes? I can't see shit!"
Old 06-15-2006, 07:04 AM   #188
Level 2 - Poster

anybody ever take into account that maynard has an accent? or that he mumbles sometimes? damn your eyes is an old ass saying. i first heard it in the young frankenstein movie. no matter what maynard's mumblings sound like, i definitely believe he is saying "damn" my eyes. it makes the most sense in the context of the rest of the line, to me.

hell, maybe i'm wrong and it's "Jim, my eyes!"

as in, "Hey Jim! Where did you put my eyes? I can't see shit!"
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
06-16-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alootaps

"
I don't agree, Dim my eyes makes just as much sense...

I've listened to this so many different ways, the studio version and 5 different live versions and all i hear is Dim my eyes, Dim my eyes, Dim my eyes...

I predict when the lyrics come out, all of us that believe it's Dim my eyes x3, will be vindicated. Everyone else will be saying...damn...I really thought it was Damn my eyes or jambi eyes or whatever.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:22 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by alootaps

"
I don't agree, Dim my eyes makes just as much sense...

I've listened to this so many different ways, the studio version and 5 different live versions and all i hear is Dim my eyes, Dim my eyes, Dim my eyes...

I predict when the lyrics come out, all of us that believe it's Dim my eyes x3, will be vindicated. Everyone else will be saying...damn...I really thought it was Damn my eyes or jambi eyes or whatever.
06-21-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB
Here's a few confirmed dates, with tickets going on sale this weekend (except for the Honolulu shows, I believe). Keep checking as there will be A LOT MORE SHOWS ADDED once they're confirmed... as well as some other things that should make certain people very happy.
If I'm taking this hint correctly, it's quite possible that the official lyrics will be posted soon. Of course, anyone that waited for the Undertow lyrics may be prepared to wait another few years.

Considering "10,000 Days" is still missing from all the site areas (besides the news) it could really be anything, but here's hoping that we can get a little help with these debates.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:25 PM   #190
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB
Here's a few confirmed dates, with tickets going on sale this weekend (except for the Honolulu shows, I believe). Keep checking as there will be A LOT MORE SHOWS ADDED once they're confirmed... as well as some other things that should make certain people very happy.
If I'm taking this hint correctly, it's quite possible that the official lyrics will be posted soon. Of course, anyone that waited for the Undertow lyrics may be prepared to wait another few years.

Considering "10,000 Days" is still missing from all the site areas (besides the news) it could really be anything, but here's hoping that we can get a little help with these debates.
06-21-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticfactory

Yep, I was hoping the same thing when I visited Toolband today and read that.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticfactory

Yep, I was hoping the same thing when I visited Toolband today and read that.
06-21-2006, 01:41 PM

damn / Dim seems correct to me

jambiiiiiis, jambized, jambi eyes and stuff like that (with jambi in it) is - to me - plain bullshit
Old 06-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #192
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

jambiiiiiis, jambized, jambi eyes and stuff like that (with jambi in it) is - to me - plain bullshit
Kurtz

i am perfectly content to wait until maynard releases his lyrics.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #193
Level 4 - Thinker

i am perfectly content to wait until maynard releases his lyrics.
paraflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by somehappydipshit

... to you.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #194
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
Originally Posted by somehappydipshit

... to you.
Opiate_Mass's Avatar Opiate_Mass
06-21-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdoger
I think the idea of Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes/jambi eyes, dim my eyes is spot on. I hadn't thought of him saying three different things...but I think that's right. Whatever the middle one is, it deffinatly starts with a J.
sounds like "Jambi Eyes, Damn My Eyes, Damn my eyes if they should compromise" to me you can DEFINATELY hear a 'J' sound guys....
Old 06-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #195
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdoger
I think the idea of Damn my eyes, Jam my eyes/jambi eyes, dim my eyes is spot on. I hadn't thought of him saying three different things...but I think that's right. Whatever the middle one is, it deffinatly starts with a J.
sounds like "Jambi Eyes, Damn My Eyes, Damn my eyes if they should compromise" to me you can DEFINATELY hear a 'J' sound guys....
06-21-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Now that's just plain retarded
Old 06-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #196
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Now that's just plain retarded
06-21-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Notion
DAMN MY EYES...

DAMN MY EYES...

say it with me...

DAMN MY EYES...

IF you think it is anything else then kick yourself in the face for not being OGT enough to know how maynard sings when yelling.

say it again..

DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES

you all fail the entry test to verbal communication
OGT enough? hahahah you fucking loser, get a life
Old 06-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #197
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Notion
DAMN MY EYES...

DAMN MY EYES...

say it with me...

DAMN MY EYES...

IF you think it is anything else then kick yourself in the face for not being OGT enough to know how maynard sings when yelling.

say it again..

DAMN MY EYES

DAMN MY EYES

you all fail the entry test to verbal communication
OGT enough? hahahah you fucking loser, get a life
Opiate_Mass's Avatar Opiate_Mass
06-21-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muladhara
For fuck's sake.

If the song wasn't called Jambi you would not say "It's Jambi eyes!".

Explain to the class please exactly what 'Jambi eyes' means.

Show me where previously, Tool have just made up words IN THE LYRICS, not in the titles.

The only way "Jambi eyes" would make sense to the world at large is if it means "Eyes that see only Jambi" or "Eyes that were changed forever by Jambi".

Now considering that, how does that line make sense with the lines exactly before and after it which you concede are either "dim my eyes" or "damn my eyes".

"Kill me if these eyes that were changed forever by Jambi should compromise what I have with Jambi."

Because if Jambi is the subject of the song, whom he would give everything up for then that line makes NO FUCKING SENSE!
ok what about in rosetta stoned? "abananabananabananabananabanana, so that when i opened up my bug eyes."
Old 06-21-2006, 09:17 PM   #198
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: Dim my eyes, Dim my eyes, Dim my eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muladhara
For fuck's sake.

If the song wasn't called Jambi you would not say "It's Jambi eyes!".

Explain to the class please exactly what 'Jambi eyes' means.

Show me where previously, Tool have just made up words IN THE LYRICS, not in the titles.

The only way "Jambi eyes" would make sense to the world at large is if it means "Eyes that see only Jambi" or "Eyes that were changed forever by Jambi".

Now considering that, how does that line make sense with the lines exactly before and after it which you concede are either "dim my eyes" or "damn my eyes".

"Kill me if these eyes that were changed forever by Jambi should compromise what I have with Jambi."

Because if Jambi is the subject of the song, whom he would give everything up for then that line makes NO FUCKING SENSE!
ok what about in rosetta stoned? "abananabananabananabananabanana, so that when i opened up my bug eyes."
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
06-22-2006, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate_Mass

What's your point??
Old 06-22-2006, 06:55 AM   #199

Quote:

What's your point??
06-22-2006, 06:59 AM

Quote:
We don't even know that those are the real lyrics!!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:59 AM   #200
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
We don't even know that those are the real lyrics!!!!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply