Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Winter ("AU Summer") 2011
User Name
Password
SadSummerSea's Avatar SadSummerSea
01-16-2011, 02:42 PM

SETLIST --

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
. Anthropophagite .

Bincount™: 553
01.26.11 - Big Day Out - Sydney

SETLIST --

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
njm's Avatar njm
01-26-2011, 05:19 AM

Setlist was (I think):
Third Eye
Jambi
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
Lateralus
Ænema
The Pot

Review later.. bed now!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #2
njm
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.26.11 - Big Day Out - Sydney

Setlist was (I think):
Third Eye
Jambi
Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Intolerance
Schism
Lateralus
Ænema
The Pot

Review later.. bed now!
ROCKMOUSE's Avatar ROCKMOUSE
01-26-2011, 08:48 AM

third eye
jambi
vicarious
the patient
intolerance
schism
lateralus
aenema
the pot
Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

third eye
jambi
vicarious
the patient
intolerance
schism
lateralus
aenema
the pot
01-26-2011, 02:20 PM

NJM's is the correct set, (and with the Orion jam during the extended Lateralus)

Justin seemed in great spirits tonight. He seems to really be enjoying this tour.
MJK was a bit flat at times as he has been thus far on this tour. Very noticable during Schism. Not a big deal though.

And even I thought the Aussie flags at the end were a nice touch, surprisingly because I'm usually very wary of OTT jingoism and nationalism... Seems heartfelt though.

8/10. Not the best Tool show I've seen, not the worst. Very solid. Still think they're not a band suited to BDO but do the very best to make it work.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #4

NJM's is the correct set, (and with the Orion jam during the extended Lateralus)

Justin seemed in great spirits tonight. He seems to really be enjoying this tour.
MJK was a bit flat at times as he has been thus far on this tour. Very noticable during Schism. Not a big deal though.

And even I thought the Aussie flags at the end were a nice touch, surprisingly because I'm usually very wary of OTT jingoism and nationalism... Seems heartfelt though.

8/10. Not the best Tool show I've seen, not the worst. Very solid. Still think they're not a band suited to BDO but do the very best to make it work.
spiral2spiral's Avatar spiral2spiral
01-26-2011, 02:45 PM

Opps, meant 7/10. Like it matters.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #5

Opps, meant 7/10. Like it matters.
merkaboy
01-26-2011, 03:53 PM

whoa!.....are you saying they DIDN'T play stinkfist?? isn't that, like a first? in a long long time at least?

8/21/98 * 8/5/01 * 8/6/01 * 8/7/01 * 8/8/01 * 11/6/01 * 11/8/01 * 7/20/02 * 10/2/02 * 10/3/02 * 5/2/06 * 8/27/06 * 12/4/07 * 12/5/07 * 12/7/07 * 12/8/07 * 7/19/09 * 6/28/10 * 6/29/10 * 7/9/10 * 7/10/10 * 7/13/10
Old 01-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

whoa!.....are you saying they DIDN'T play stinkfist?? isn't that, like a first? in a long long time at least?

8/21/98 * 8/5/01 * 8/6/01 * 8/7/01 * 8/8/01 * 11/6/01 * 11/8/01 * 7/20/02 * 10/2/02 * 10/3/02 * 5/2/06 * 8/27/06 * 12/4/07 * 12/5/07 * 12/7/07 * 12/8/07 * 7/19/09 * 6/28/10 * 6/29/10 * 7/9/10 * 7/10/10 * 7/13/10
01-26-2011, 04:28 PM

Correct, no Stinkfist. In a way, I enjoyed that.

Was very assuredly expecting it as the final song... Then The Pot. Nice bait and switch.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #7

Correct, no Stinkfist. In a way, I enjoyed that.

Was very assuredly expecting it as the final song... Then The Pot. Nice bait and switch.
iscar
01-26-2011, 09:28 PM

Enjoyed it. Agreed with whats been said about them not being a great BDO band, but i cant complain, it was my only opportunity to see them short of long and expensive travel.

I haven't really been looking at setlists so i had no idea what to expect. Third Eye really caught me off guard. It seemed a little rough initially, but was pretty good all up. Third Eye really threw confused a lot of the crowd too. I saw a lot of people leaving the crowd during it. Quote of the day went to the guy behind me who after Third Eye had finished yelled "this is shit, play something oldschool... we want oldschool tool". Thats big day out for you though. I've learned to just ignore it.

I think from intolerance onwards the crowd was getting into it more, and the band was dialed.

Any idea what the big "3" was on the piece of paper Maynard was showing the crowd? Something to do with the setlist? i dont know. Lastly like someone else mentioned, Maynard didn't seem _that_ into it, passed up on a few screams and often didn't move much. I could easily put this down to it being bid day out tho, I cant blame him.

Last edited by iscar; 01-26-2011 at 09:32 PM..
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

Enjoyed it. Agreed with whats been said about them not being a great BDO band, but i cant complain, it was my only opportunity to see them short of long and expensive travel.

I haven't really been looking at setlists so i had no idea what to expect. Third Eye really caught me off guard. It seemed a little rough initially, but was pretty good all up. Third Eye really threw confused a lot of the crowd too. I saw a lot of people leaving the crowd during it. Quote of the day went to the guy behind me who after Third Eye had finished yelled "this is shit, play something oldschool... we want oldschool tool". Thats big day out for you though. I've learned to just ignore it.

I think from intolerance onwards the crowd was getting into it more, and the band was dialed.

Any idea what the big "3" was on the piece of paper Maynard was showing the crowd? Something to do with the setlist? i dont know. Lastly like someone else mentioned, Maynard didn't seem _that_ into it, passed up on a few screams and often didn't move much. I could easily put this down to it being bid day out tho, I cant blame him.

Last edited by iscar; 01-26-2011 at 09:32 PM..
Riff's Avatar Riff
01-27-2011, 06:08 AM

Good show, but they really should get more creative with the lasers. Saw a Fever Ray concert with less lasers and was more thought-through and in accordance with the music. Very happy with the setlist, especially Third Eye and The Patient.

The audio quality of the main stages were poor, and slightest wind would make everything sound muddy and shit from further back. If you are on the sides it's worse.

Why can't BDO get proper equipment? It's a joke and a spit in the face for everyone who bought a ticket.

I remember when I saw Neil Young, about 5 rows from the front of the blue stage and all the sound went over us, so all you hear is people singing along around you. Fucking annoying after having spent hours waiting there just to get a good spot.

Nothing throws me off more than poor live audio, and unfortunately it shat all over TOOL's performance, hearing it from the seats a bit to the right where I had awesome view, but they performed well.

Justin screwed up the intro to Schism, Maynard held back screams, Adam messed up a bit, but Danny was flawless as far as I could tell.

How awesome was Rammstein though

oh, that's right it's because of this gangsta ass life i lead"
-bogsnarth

www.soundcloud.com/riff
Old 01-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
Can't you...SEE?

Bincount™: 4906

Good show, but they really should get more creative with the lasers. Saw a Fever Ray concert with less lasers and was more thought-through and in accordance with the music. Very happy with the setlist, especially Third Eye and The Patient.

The audio quality of the main stages were poor, and slightest wind would make everything sound muddy and shit from further back. If you are on the sides it's worse.

Why can't BDO get proper equipment? It's a joke and a spit in the face for everyone who bought a ticket.

I remember when I saw Neil Young, about 5 rows from the front of the blue stage and all the sound went over us, so all you hear is people singing along around you. Fucking annoying after having spent hours waiting there just to get a good spot.

Nothing throws me off more than poor live audio, and unfortunately it shat all over TOOL's performance, hearing it from the seats a bit to the right where I had awesome view, but they performed well.

Justin screwed up the intro to Schism, Maynard held back screams, Adam messed up a bit, but Danny was flawless as far as I could tell.

How awesome was Rammstein though

oh, that's right it's because of this gangsta ass life i lead"
-bogsnarth

www.soundcloud.com/riff
01-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iscar View Post
Third Eye really threw confused a lot of the crowd too. I saw a lot of people leaving the crowd during it. Quote of the day went to the guy behind me who after Third Eye had finished yelled "this is shit, play something oldschool... we want oldschool tool". Thats big day out for you though. I've learned to just ignore it.
Oh dear.
Indeed typical BDO.
I was in the D, and Third Eye deifnitiely thinned some of the herd, people who had come over from Rammstein then left early saying "This is boring"

So, good then. More room for the real fans.

Quote:
He's been rating Dannys drum solos after the Lateralus/Orion jam. (He gave him a 4 in Brisbane)

Maynard's been like that all tour. Very subdued, restrained. Been dropping the last line of Vicarious. Shortening the "goooooooone" in Jambi. Other songs being played at the solo shows but not at the BDO (won't mention which for spoiler reasons) he's been skipping lines or breaking them up too.

He sung The Pot in a whole lower key too, methinks.

He's getting older, the voice is getting weaker. Same issues came up on the US APC tour in Nov. He's doing the best with what he still has. Respect to that.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Third Eye really threw confused a lot of the crowd too. I saw a lot of people leaving the crowd during it. Quote of the day went to the guy behind me who after Third Eye had finished yelled "this is shit, play something oldschool... we want oldschool tool". Thats big day out for you though. I've learned to just ignore it.
Oh dear.
Indeed typical BDO.
I was in the D, and Third Eye deifnitiely thinned some of the herd, people who had come over from Rammstein then left early saying "This is boring"

So, good then. More room for the real fans.

Quote:
He's been rating Dannys drum solos after the Lateralus/Orion jam. (He gave him a 4 in Brisbane)

Maynard's been like that all tour. Very subdued, restrained. Been dropping the last line of Vicarious. Shortening the "goooooooone" in Jambi. Other songs being played at the solo shows but not at the BDO (won't mention which for spoiler reasons) he's been skipping lines or breaking them up too.

He sung The Pot in a whole lower key too, methinks.

He's getting older, the voice is getting weaker. Same issues came up on the US APC tour in Nov. He's doing the best with what he still has. Respect to that.
njm's Avatar njm
01-27-2011, 02:53 PM

I just thought I’d share a few observations I had at the show.

There’s no point arguing about this… but I didn’t like 3rd eye as the first song! For me it actually took until the patient before I got into the show. After 3rd eye Maynard said “we are too old” not sure why he thought that! Jambi and Vicarious sounded a bit flat… That might just be me though, and that’s cool.

The Patient was flawless though, loved it. Intolerance after that was just mind blowing! So much power in that song!

Did anyone else hear Adam play the guitar line of Pushit just before they broke into Schism? I think I was just deluding myself, but that’s what I thought I heard. The sped up midsection was slightly different, Adam walked over and pointed to Justin and made him start it off, playing Adams normal part. Was very cool.

Lateralus was awesome, but just once I would love to hear them do it straight through with no jam in the middle section! After Danny’s drum solo Maynard came out with a score of 0.. threw it onto Dannys kit and I saw that Danny was struggling! Not sure, but to me it looked like he was completely fucked! Possibly hungover!? Danny just scrunched the paper up and threw it on the stage, pretty funny. If he was tired, he didn’t show it while playing though.

After Aenema we were thinking there was one more song and it had to be Stinkfist. Then Maynard sang the first line of The Pot, waited and the crowd went nuts and sang the second part. Then Maynard came in with the second part and the song started. It fucking rocked.

After that, Maynard actually walked towards to front of the stage, gave Danny and Justin his Australian flags that he had been waving around, and waved to the crowd! While Adam just walked straight off stage.

All in all it was a great gig, I agree with everyone saying that Rammstein stole the show. But as a Tool nerd I still enjoyed them more!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
njm

I just thought I’d share a few observations I had at the show.

There’s no point arguing about this… but I didn’t like 3rd eye as the first song! For me it actually took until the patient before I got into the show. After 3rd eye Maynard said “we are too old” not sure why he thought that! Jambi and Vicarious sounded a bit flat… That might just be me though, and that’s cool.

The Patient was flawless though, loved it. Intolerance after that was just mind blowing! So much power in that song!

Did anyone else hear Adam play the guitar line of Pushit just before they broke into Schism? I think I was just deluding myself, but that’s what I thought I heard. The sped up midsection was slightly different, Adam walked over and pointed to Justin and made him start it off, playing Adams normal part. Was very cool.

Lateralus was awesome, but just once I would love to hear them do it straight through with no jam in the middle section! After Danny’s drum solo Maynard came out with a score of 0.. threw it onto Dannys kit and I saw that Danny was struggling! Not sure, but to me it looked like he was completely fucked! Possibly hungover!? Danny just scrunched the paper up and threw it on the stage, pretty funny. If he was tired, he didn’t show it while playing though.

After Aenema we were thinking there was one more song and it had to be Stinkfist. Then Maynard sang the first line of The Pot, waited and the crowd went nuts and sang the second part. Then Maynard came in with the second part and the song started. It fucking rocked.

After that, Maynard actually walked towards to front of the stage, gave Danny and Justin his Australian flags that he had been waving around, and waved to the crowd! While Adam just walked straight off stage.

All in all it was a great gig, I agree with everyone saying that Rammstein stole the show. But as a Tool nerd I still enjoyed them more!
01-27-2011, 03:26 PM

Could have sworn it was a 3, not a zero... I was at the back of the D though.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #12

Could have sworn it was a 3, not a zero... I was at the back of the D though.
BassMasta87
11-08-2011, 02:29 PM

I'm going to have to come down on Eon Blue Apocalypse and Third Eye. I do not feel like these songs are doing what the band intends for them to do. Plus, I thought the sound was off during Eon Blue Apocalypse at least. The band did seem really on for this show, though. I was happy to hear some of the extended jams.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

I'm going to have to come down on Eon Blue Apocalypse and Third Eye. I do not feel like these songs are doing what the band intends for them to do. Plus, I thought the sound was off during Eon Blue Apocalypse at least. The band did seem really on for this show, though. I was happy to hear some of the extended jams.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply