Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Rhymic
07-31-2006, 12:46 PM

I see this song as a joke played on Blair. Sure he said that that night he never ate Krispy Kremes or wore Birkenstocks or whatever else he claimed, but Maynard may be joking around calling him fat, lazy, stupid, ("...didn't even graduate...", doesn't matter if he did or not) and on drugs. Not to be mean in a way, but to be humorous. Maybe Blair forgets his pen all the time and can't remember what someone told him just 5 minutes before. He throws a few specifics in there, but once again I think they are there to pick on him. Why wouldn't a friend write a song about someone as a practical joke to them, but leave it so no one figures it out to be that one person? Adam even said in the last few interviews I've read that Maynard writes about whatever may happen in his life or to people around him and manipulates it.

As for how the lyrics go, I like a lot of the ideas and posts that are going on, I even like the ridiculous ones because they do give another insight, but we won't really know for sure. I don't care how many times you've heard specific letters sung, he sings a lot of times in muffled ways on purpose so the syllables fit the rhythm, even if it makes it sound like a totally different word. The album version of 3 Libras and the live version on Leno of it are sung differently. I think he even sings a few different words too. One of the things that is amazing about him is how he can make one word fit a whole line in a song. One syllable can equal ten in Maynard speak. That's what makes him a great vocalist. His voice is an instrument in the band. I'm sure most of you know all this, I'm just trying to clear up some of the arguing by saying a lot of syllables are sometimes part of the same word stretched out. You may think you hear specific letters, but they are just breaths and other vocal sounds accentuated in the rhythm. He was speaking really fast in the beginning of this song, so maybe while in the studio, he recorded it two or three times and layered them to cause confusion and chaos. Since it seems that that's what the feeling is meant to portray. It's spoken so fast that he may have stumbled some words, but said them decent enough other times so that it sounds like different things are being said. Good trick on the fans like us hehe.

All I'm saying is that no one is right and no one is wrong here. There are a few clear words here and there, but you never know. Sometimes a word can be part of a bigger word that changes the whole meaning of what's being said. If you can't figure out the syllables around that word, then it may be a whole different word or meaning altogether. I think what we have right now is good enough. I sing along to it from my interpretations and what I've read from you guys here and I enjoy the song a lot more than I originally did. The little lines said here and there make sense either way to the context of the song most of the time, so it just ends up being whatever you feel like it should be. I think that if there is an official lyric posting, it will have many parts that will leave everyone confused. Something written may not sound like something said... that's all I'm saying. :P
Old 07-31-2006, 12:46 PM   #961
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08 - Rosetta Stoned lyrics

I see this song as a joke played on Blair. Sure he said that that night he never ate Krispy Kremes or wore Birkenstocks or whatever else he claimed, but Maynard may be joking around calling him fat, lazy, stupid, ("...didn't even graduate...", doesn't matter if he did or not) and on drugs. Not to be mean in a way, but to be humorous. Maybe Blair forgets his pen all the time and can't remember what someone told him just 5 minutes before. He throws a few specifics in there, but once again I think they are there to pick on him. Why wouldn't a friend write a song about someone as a practical joke to them, but leave it so no one figures it out to be that one person? Adam even said in the last few interviews I've read that Maynard writes about whatever may happen in his life or to people around him and manipulates it.

As for how the lyrics go, I like a lot of the ideas and posts that are going on, I even like the ridiculous ones because they do give another insight, but we won't really know for sure. I don't care how many times you've heard specific letters sung, he sings a lot of times in muffled ways on purpose so the syllables fit the rhythm, even if it makes it sound like a totally different word. The album version of 3 Libras and the live version on Leno of it are sung differently. I think he even sings a few different words too. One of the things that is amazing about him is how he can make one word fit a whole line in a song. One syllable can equal ten in Maynard speak. That's what makes him a great vocalist. His voice is an instrument in the band. I'm sure most of you know all this, I'm just trying to clear up some of the arguing by saying a lot of syllables are sometimes part of the same word stretched out. You may think you hear specific letters, but they are just breaths and other vocal sounds accentuated in the rhythm. He was speaking really fast in the beginning of this song, so maybe while in the studio, he recorded it two or three times and layered them to cause confusion and chaos. Since it seems that that's what the feeling is meant to portray. It's spoken so fast that he may have stumbled some words, but said them decent enough other times so that it sounds like different things are being said. Good trick on the fans like us hehe.

All I'm saying is that no one is right and no one is wrong here. There are a few clear words here and there, but you never know. Sometimes a word can be part of a bigger word that changes the whole meaning of what's being said. If you can't figure out the syllables around that word, then it may be a whole different word or meaning altogether. I think what we have right now is good enough. I sing along to it from my interpretations and what I've read from you guys here and I enjoy the song a lot more than I originally did. The little lines said here and there make sense either way to the context of the song most of the time, so it just ends up being whatever you feel like it should be. I think that if there is an official lyric posting, it will have many parts that will leave everyone confused. Something written may not sound like something said... that's all I'm saying. :P
OFFLINE |  
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
07-31-2006, 05:00 PM

Why would they make fun of Blair?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:00 PM   #962
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

OFFLINE |  
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
07-31-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye11
It has to be introduced at some point. Just because it's not mentioned before this doesn't mean it isn't what's said. If it was said no where else in the song, I'd take both yours and Ranger's standpoint.
My point (& Ranger's I expect) is that one wouldn't usually introduce a plurality of individuals with a pronoun. One would usually give the pronoun reference first, eg...

I saw my friend Tom.
They were very happy. (WTF?)

I saw my friend Tom.
His girlfriend came too.
They were very happy. (See the difference?)
Old 07-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #963
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
It has to be introduced at some point. Just because it's not mentioned before this doesn't mean it isn't what's said. If it was said no where else in the song, I'd take both yours and Ranger's standpoint.
My point (& Ranger's I expect) is that one wouldn't usually introduce a plurality of individuals with a pronoun. One would usually give the pronoun reference first, eg...

I saw my friend Tom.

I saw my friend Tom.
His girlfriend came too.
07-31-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
Yeah! Isn't that our job?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:37 PM   #964
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
Yeah! Isn't that our job?
OFFLINE |  
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
07-31-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb

I saw my friend Tom.

I saw my friend Tom.
His girlfriend came too.
I agree. There are definitely multiple aliens in the song but not at that point, chronologically, within the timeline set by the song. At first, there is just one alien that does a wicked jump in the air in slow-mo while making the sound... you get the idea. *They* didn't do a jump... what is this, synchronized Olympic alien-leaping?

'...breath that reeked and did a wicked jump...'

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 07-31-2006, 06:45 PM   #965
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeyadb

I saw my friend Tom.

I saw my friend Tom.
His girlfriend came too.
I agree. There are definitely multiple aliens in the song but not at that point, chronologically, within the timeline set by the song. At first, there is just one alien that does a wicked jump in the air in slow-mo while making the sound... you get the idea. *They* didn't do a jump... what is this, synchronized Olympic alien-leaping?

'...breath that reeked and did a wicked jump...'

OFFLINE |  
Ranger10000
07-31-2006, 08:21 PM

Yes Space Monkey, and BlanketEffect, that's exactly what i'm saying. I too also hear

"and did a wicked jump"
Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #966
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Yes Space Monkey, and BlanketEffect, that's exactly what i'm saying. I too also hear

"and did a wicked jump"
OFFLINE |  
Thirdeye11
08-01-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger10000

"and did a wicked jump"
I won't disagree with that.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:09 AM   #967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger10000

"and did a wicked jump"
I won't disagree with that.
OFFLINE |  
A Spirit of Radio's Avatar A Spirit of Radio
08-01-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketEffect
'10-to-2-AM and actually eating a cleaned out box of Krispy Kremes'

That line is pretty easy to hear in my opinion. All the syllables and phonetics are in place and listening on headphones cleans it up a bit to understand.

What peaks my interest is the lines afterwards that noone has come up with a really good translation for.

"I did radical donuts on a dime and something right on my birkenstocks and you were yelping - Holy fucking shit'

That *sounds* like what he says, though it makes no sense and therefore is likely not correct.
JUST THEN A FLAMING STEALTH BANANA SPLIT THE SKY LIKE WIDE OPEN -YOU NEVER EALLY EXPECT TO SEE AT A PLACE LIKE THIS ANYWAY, THE BANANA STOPPED ON A DIME AND SOMETHING LANDED ON MY BIRKENSTOCKS AND I YELPED HOLY FUCKIN' SHIT
Old 08-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #968

Bincount™: 14

Quote:
'10-to-2-AM and actually eating a cleaned out box of Krispy Kremes'

That line is pretty easy to hear in my opinion. All the syllables and phonetics are in place and listening on headphones cleans it up a bit to understand.

What peaks my interest is the lines afterwards that noone has come up with a really good translation for.

"I did radical donuts on a dime and something right on my birkenstocks and you were yelping - Holy fucking shit'

That *sounds* like what he says, though it makes no sense and therefore is likely not correct.
JUST THEN A FLAMING STEALTH BANANA SPLIT THE SKY LIKE WIDE OPEN -YOU NEVER EALLY EXPECT TO SEE AT A PLACE LIKE THIS ANYWAY, THE BANANA STOPPED ON A DIME AND SOMETHING LANDED ON MY BIRKENSTOCKS AND I YELPED HOLY FUCKIN' SHIT
08-01-2006, 10:17 AM

Maybe the lyrics say "...the x-file beings..." and not just one. One of them spoons with him and gives him the message, but then they all float away. Sounds feasible to me.

I think Maynard is just picking on Blair because of his story about what happened when he was near Area 51. I could see him taking Blair's story and using it to make one of his own in a song. If he did take Blair's story, then Blair would be the narrator of the story who would be the one that was spooning with the x-file beings lol. It all makes sense. A lot of lyrics in their songs may be jokes played on their friends. You never know.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:17 AM   #969
Level 4 - Thinker

Maybe the lyrics say "...the x-file beings..." and not just one. One of them spoons with him and gives him the message, but then they all float away. Sounds feasible to me.

I think Maynard is just picking on Blair because of his story about what happened when he was near Area 51. I could see him taking Blair's story and using it to make one of his own in a song. If he did take Blair's story, then Blair would be the narrator of the story who would be the one that was spooning with the x-file beings lol. It all makes sense. A lot of lyrics in their songs may be jokes played on their friends. You never know.
OFFLINE |  
Thirdeye11
08-01-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymic

I've listened for that lyric and I believe it's the x-file being as opposed to beings. As far as them floating away, I believe that lyric is "like the time Dave floated away..." referring to the "protagonist" of the song, or so says Blair of Toolband.com.

Even though I realize you're defending a point I was trying to make earlier, which I appreciate, the lyric likely is "and did a wicked jump..."
Old 08-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #970

Quote:

I've listened for that lyric and I believe it's the x-file being as opposed to beings. As far as them floating away, I believe that lyric is "like the time Dave floated away..." referring to the "protagonist" of the song, or so says Blair of Toolband.com.

Even though I realize you're defending a point I was trying to make earlier, which I appreciate, the lyric likely is "and did a wicked jump..."
OFFLINE |  
evil mechanic
08-01-2006, 04:42 PM

10 to 2 AM
And actually eating up an old box of Krispy Kremes
And my "need-to-know potion"
Just outside Area 51
Contemplating the whole chosen people thing
When a flaming stealth banana split the sky like, wide open.
I never expected to see it in a place like this.
I do believe I spilled a diamond sundae
Or something wet on my Birkenstocks
And [you're yelping]
Holy fucking shit

Then the x-file beings who were like
some kind of blue-grey [Jackie Chan]
With Isabella Rossellini lips and breath that reeked
[They're wicked-shot terrorists all while making the sound]
abananadabanana so when I opened up my bug eyes, my gaping jaw and my sweaty lower and upper lip
And all I could think was
I hope that my partner here doesn't notice
that I pissed my fucking pants

So alive in this way
Like an apparition
You have me crying out
Fuck me
It's got to be
Dead head
Chemistry
The blotter got right
On top of me
Got me seeing
E mother-fucking T

And after calming me down with some orange slices
And some fetal spooning
The ET revealed to me his singular purpose
He said you are the chosen one
The one who'll deliver the message
A message of hope for those who chose to hear it
And a warning for those who do not
Me, the chosen one, they chose me
And I didn't graduate from fucking high school

You had better...
You had better...
You had better...
You had better listen

When he looked right through me
With somniferous almond eyes
Don't even know what that means
Must remember to write it down
This is SO REAL
Like the time they floated away
See, my heart is pounding
Cause this shit never happens to me

I can't breathe right now

It was so real
Like I woke up in Wonderland
All sort of terrifying
I don't want to be all alone
When I tell the story
And can anyone tell me why
It was a repeat experience
will I ever be coming down
This is so real
Finally it's my lucky day
See my heart is racing

You believe me don't you
Please believe what I just said
See they're telling the truth
And this wasn't all in my head
See they took me by the hand
And invited me right in
Then they showed me something
I don't even know where to begin

Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold, eyes red
I'm out my head
Am I alive? am I dead?
Can't remember what they said
God damn shit the bed

hey hey

Overwhelmed as one would be placed in my position
Such a heavy burden now to be the one
Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending
To write it down for all the world to see
But I forgot my pen shit the bed again
Typical

Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold and eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive am I dead
Sunkist and Sudafed
Gyroscopes and infrared
won't help the brain dead

God damn shit the bed

I Can't remember what they said to me
Can't remember what they said to make me out to be A HERO
I can't remember what they said

Don't know, Wont Know (repeated 11 times)

God damn shit the bed

Last edited by evil mechanic; 08-01-2006 at 04:53 PM..
Old 08-01-2006, 04:42 PM   #971
Level 1 - Lurker

10 to 2 AM
Just outside Area 51
And [you're yelping]
Holy fucking shit

abananadabanana so when I opened up my bug eyes, my gaping jaw and my sweaty lower and upper lip

So alive in this way
Like an apparition
You have me crying out
Fuck me
It's got to be
Dead head
Chemistry
The blotter got right
On top of me
Got me seeing
E mother-fucking T

And some fetal spooning

You had better...
You had better...
You had better...
You had better listen

This is SO REAL

It was so real
All sort of terrifying
When I tell the story
This is so real
See my heart is racing

You believe me don't you
And invited me right in

Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold, eyes red
I'm out my head
Am I alive? am I dead?
God damn shit the bed

hey hey

Typical

Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold and eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive am I dead
Sunkist and Sudafed
Gyroscopes and infrared

God damn shit the bed

God damn shit the bed

Last edited by evil mechanic; 08-01-2006 at 04:53 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
08-01-2006, 04:44 PM

I think it's rather you'd better listen.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #972
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

I think it's rather you'd better listen.
OFFLINE |  
Thirdeye11
08-01-2006, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil mechanic
10 to 2 AM
Just outside Area 51
And [you're yelping]
Holy fucking shit

So alive in this way
Like an apparition
You have me crying out
Fuck me
It's got to be
Dead head
Chemistry
The blotter got right
On top of me
Got me seeing
E mother-fucking T

And some fetal spooning

You had better...
You had better...
You had better...
You had better listen

This is SO REAL

It was so real
All sort of terrifying
When I tell the story
This is so real
See my heart is racing

You believe me don't you
And invited me right in

Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold, eyes red
I'm out my head
Am I alive? am I dead?
God damn shit the bed

hey hey

Typical

Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold and eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive am I dead
Sunkist and Sudafed
Gyroscopes and infrared

God damn shit the bed

God damn shit the bed

We have MANY versions of the lyrics much closer than this. Refer to my post for complete lyrics, that are very close.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #973

Quote:
10 to 2 AM
Just outside Area 51
And [you're yelping]
Holy fucking shit

So alive in this way
Like an apparition
You have me crying out
Fuck me
It's got to be
Dead head
Chemistry
The blotter got right
On top of me
Got me seeing
E mother-fucking T

And some fetal spooning

You had better...
You had better...
You had better...
You had better listen

This is SO REAL

It was so real
All sort of terrifying
When I tell the story
This is so real
See my heart is racing

You believe me don't you
And invited me right in

Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold, eyes red
I'm out my head
Am I alive? am I dead?
God damn shit the bed

hey hey

Typical

Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold and eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive am I dead
Sunkist and Sudafed
Gyroscopes and infrared

God damn shit the bed

God damn shit the bed

We have MANY versions of the lyrics much closer than this. Refer to my post for complete lyrics, that are very close.
OFFLINE |  
MentalSanityOff's Avatar MentalSanityOff
08-01-2006, 09:02 PM

I swear to god, I hear "And can anyone tell me why all of the sudden my penis hurts?" instead of "And can anyone tell me why it wa a repeat experience?"

Tell me that somebody else hears this and that I'm not just fucking insane. I've always heard it this way since the CD came out
Old 08-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #974
On Probation

Bincount™: 21

I swear to god, I hear "And can anyone tell me why all of the sudden my penis hurts?" instead of "And can anyone tell me why it wa a repeat experience?"

Tell me that somebody else hears this and that I'm not just fucking insane. I've always heard it this way since the CD came out
OFFLINE |  
Thirdeye11
08-01-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalSanityOff

Most have come to the conclusion that the line is "And can anyone tell me why, you all sound like peanuts parents?"

Referring to the cartoon "Peanuts" where every adult is unintelligible in the cartoon, and sound like a bunch of noise.

This also fits the theme of the song. Keep in my the vocals were likely recorded 2x and laid on top of one another, this causes things to not match up 100% of the time and it's difficult to interpret what's being said often times. Such as when he says "Then they took me by the hand" it sounds like he says "Then they took me by-by the hand" because it wasn't overlapped perfectly.

Chad
Old 08-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #975

Quote:

Most have come to the conclusion that the line is "And can anyone tell me why, you all sound like peanuts parents?"

Referring to the cartoon "Peanuts" where every adult is unintelligible in the cartoon, and sound like a bunch of noise.

This also fits the theme of the song. Keep in my the vocals were likely recorded 2x and laid on top of one another, this causes things to not match up 100% of the time and it's difficult to interpret what's being said often times. Such as when he says "Then they took me by the hand" it sounds like he says "Then they took me by-by the hand" because it wasn't overlapped perfectly.

Chad
OFFLINE |  
08-02-2006, 03:56 AM

Quote:

Yeah, others have heard this too, myself included. I think the "peanut's parents" alternative is more likely, though I think "penis hurts" is still a possibility. Personally, I think either of these two are far more likely than "repeat experience" which, to my ears, seems more of a stretch.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:56 AM   #976
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Yeah, others have heard this too, myself included. I think the "peanut's parents" alternative is more likely, though I think "penis hurts" is still a possibility. Personally, I think either of these two are far more likely than "repeat experience" which, to my ears, seems more of a stretch.
08-02-2006, 04:12 AM

the "peanuts parents" line doesn't make sense to me at all
Old 08-02-2006, 04:12 AM   #977
Level 4 - Thinker

the "peanuts parents" line doesn't make sense to me at all
OFFLINE |  
L0ST
08-02-2006, 04:31 AM

I'm not claiming that these are 100% correct or even 90% correct, but i guarantee they're more accurate than 99% of the versions out there... Let's all work on the second and third verses a little more.

Alright then
Picture this if you will

10 to 2AM and actually eating a
stale box of Krispy Kremes at my
Need-to-know post just outside of
Area 51 contemplating the whole
"Chosen people" thing but just then
A flaming stealth banana split the
Sky like one would hope but never really
expect to see in a place like this

Anyway,
I thought I was gonna die when
Something went in my Birkenstocks
And in the opening...
"Holy fucking shit!"

(Holy fucking shit...) [x4]

Then the X-Files being,
Who was some kind of blue-green Jackie Chan
Made a wicked jump all by making the sound "Abananadabanana"
So when I opened up my bug eyes, my gaping jaw and
my sweaty L. Ron Hubbard upper lip, and all I could think was...
I hope Uncle Martin here doesn't notice that I pissed my fucking pants

So alive in this way
Like an apparition
he had me crying out
Fuck me!
It's got to be
Deadhead chemistry
The blotter got on top of me
It's got me seeing
E motherfucking T.

And after calming me down with some
Orange slices and some fetal spooning,
ET revealed to me his singular purpose.
He said: "You are the chosen one.
The one who will deliver the message.
A message of hope for those who choose to hear it,
And a warning for those who do not."

Me.
The chosen one.
They chose me.
And I didn't graduate from fucking high school.

You'd better...
You'd better...
You'd better...
You'd better listen.

Then he looked right through me
I must remember to write it down
This is surreal
Like the time Dave floated away
See my heart is pounding
'Cause this shit never happens to me

I can't breathe right now!

It was so real,
It’s all sort of terrifying
When I tell this story
Will I ever be coming down?
This is so real
Finally, it's my lucky day
See my heart is racing

You believe me don't you?
See they're telling children

And invited me right in

Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold and eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive or am I dead?
Goddamn, shit the bed

High

Overwhelmed as one would be
Placed in my position
Born to bear and read to all
The details of our ending
But I forgot my pen
Shit the bed again
Typical

Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold and eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive or am I dead?
Sunkist with sudafed
Gyroscopes and infrared
Won't help, I'm braindead
Goddamn, shit the bed

I can't remember what they said to me
Can’t remember what they said
To make me out to be a hero

Mom, help me

Don't know...
Oh no...
Don't know...
Won't know...

Goddamn, shit the bed
Old 08-02-2006, 04:31 AM   #978
Level 4 - Thinker

I'm not claiming that these are 100% correct or even 90% correct, but i guarantee they're more accurate than 99% of the versions out there... Let's all work on the second and third verses a little more.

Alright then
Picture this if you will

10 to 2AM and actually eating a
stale box of Krispy Kremes at my
Need-to-know post just outside of
Area 51 contemplating the whole
"Chosen people" thing but just then
A flaming stealth banana split the
Sky like one would hope but never really
expect to see in a place like this

Anyway,
I thought I was gonna die when
Something went in my Birkenstocks
And in the opening...
"Holy fucking shit!"

(Holy fucking shit...) [x4]

Then the X-Files being,
Who was some kind of blue-green Jackie Chan
Made a wicked jump all by making the sound "Abananadabanana"
So when I opened up my bug eyes, my gaping jaw and
my sweaty L. Ron Hubbard upper lip, and all I could think was...
I hope Uncle Martin here doesn't notice that I pissed my fucking pants

So alive in this way
Like an apparition
he had me crying out
Fuck me!
It's got to be
Deadhead chemistry
The blotter got on top of me
It's got me seeing
E motherfucking T.

And after calming me down with some
Orange slices and some fetal spooning,
ET revealed to me his singular purpose.
He said: "You are the chosen one.
The one who will deliver the message.
A message of hope for those who choose to hear it,
And a warning for those who do not."

Me.
The chosen one.
They chose me.
And I didn't graduate from fucking high school.

You'd better...
You'd better...
You'd better...
You'd better listen.

Then he looked right through me
I must remember to write it down
This is surreal
Like the time Dave floated away
See my heart is pounding

I can't breathe right now!

It was so real,
It’s all sort of terrifying
When I tell this story
Will I ever be coming down?
This is so real
Finally, it's my lucky day
See my heart is racing

You believe me don't you?
See they're telling children

And invited me right in

Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold and eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive or am I dead?
Goddamn, shit the bed

High

Overwhelmed as one would be
Placed in my position
Born to bear and read to all
The details of our ending
But I forgot my pen
Shit the bed again
Typical

Strapped down to my bed
Feet cold and eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive or am I dead?
Sunkist with sudafed
Gyroscopes and infrared
Won't help, I'm braindead
Goddamn, shit the bed

I can't remember what they said to me
To make me out to be a hero

Mom, help me

Don't know...
Oh no...
Don't know...
Won't know...

Goddamn, shit the bed
OFFLINE |  
Rhymic
08-02-2006, 05:43 AM

I don't know. I think it would be too silly and weird to mention peanuts parents in that line, but who knows. It does sound like he says it, although in a very strange way. Well I hear repeat experience too. The only reason why I don't believe it's the repeat experience is because the word experience sounds a little off. It sounds like the last word actually starts with a T instead of a P. As if the word is actually talents, or tenants hehe. I even thought for a minute that he could be saying experiments.

I also don't think he says, "Like the time Dave floated away." I think the person the song is about was by himself this whole time. It almost sounds like he says, "... I hope nobody here doesn't notice that I pissed my fuckin pants." I think if he says that in that line, that means that he hopes that the beings don't see it. The Uncle Martin thing would make sense in this line then too. If he is there with someone else named Dave, and Dave floated away, then that would work, but I think he was alone the whole time. Also, if Dave is the protagonist of the song, then who is he?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:43 AM   #979
Level 4 - Thinker

I don't know. I think it would be too silly and weird to mention peanuts parents in that line, but who knows. It does sound like he says it, although in a very strange way. Well I hear repeat experience too. The only reason why I don't believe it's the repeat experience is because the word experience sounds a little off. It sounds like the last word actually starts with a T instead of a P. As if the word is actually talents, or tenants hehe. I even thought for a minute that he could be saying experiments.

I also don't think he says, "Like the time Dave floated away." I think the person the song is about was by himself this whole time. It almost sounds like he says, "... I hope nobody here doesn't notice that I pissed my fuckin pants." I think if he says that in that line, that means that he hopes that the beings don't see it. The Uncle Martin thing would make sense in this line then too. If he is there with someone else named Dave, and Dave floated away, then that would work, but I think he was alone the whole time. Also, if Dave is the protagonist of the song, then who is he?
OFFLINE |  
quicksand's Avatar quicksand
08-02-2006, 06:01 AM

Quote:

Peanuts Parents makes sense and is what I hear.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:01 AM   #980
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

Peanuts Parents makes sense and is what I hear.
OFFLINE |  
08-02-2006, 06:09 AM

can anyone tell me why we all sound like peanuts parents..... will i ever be coming down

now you all do know that he means charlie brown right? you know how the teacher or any adult in the peanuts cartoons sound? that's what he means- that everyone sounds like that whaaa whaaa waaaaaa sound from charlie brown cartoons.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:09 AM   #981

can anyone tell me why we all sound like peanuts parents..... will i ever be coming down

now you all do know that he means charlie brown right? you know how the teacher or any adult in the peanuts cartoons sound? that's what he means- that everyone sounds like that whaaa whaaa waaaaaa sound from charlie brown cartoons.
08-02-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
10 to 2 AM
Just outside Area 51
And [you're yelping]
Holy fucking shit

that I pissed my fucking pants ..........

..........God damn shit the bed
Yeah, that version is so old and inaccurate you should be banned for even posting it. Getting some shitty translation from a lyrics site (that doesn't have the official lyrics, either) and then posting it in a forum where people do nothing but try to figure out what's being said.... well... what's the term I'm looking for... "Fucktard" comes to mind.

Last edited by BlanketEffect; 08-02-2006 at 06:40 AM..
Old 08-02-2006, 06:36 AM   #982
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
10 to 2 AM
Just outside Area 51
And [you're yelping]
Holy fucking shit

that I pissed my fucking pants ..........

..........God damn shit the bed
Yeah, that version is so old and inaccurate you should be banned for even posting it. Getting some shitty translation from a lyrics site (that doesn't have the official lyrics, either) and then posting it in a forum where people do nothing but try to figure out what's being said.... well... what's the term I'm looking for... "Fucktard" comes to mind.

Last edited by BlanketEffect; 08-02-2006 at 06:40 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Rhymic
08-02-2006, 07:17 AM

How do you say that someone should be banned for posting something you disagree with and then call them a "Fucktard" without thinking that you may be banned yourself? Isn't name calling against the forum rules?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #983
Level 4 - Thinker

How do you say that someone should be banned for posting something you disagree with and then call them a "Fucktard" without thinking that you may be banned yourself? Isn't name calling against the forum rules?
OFFLINE |  
L0ST
08-02-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
yeah that works
Old 08-02-2006, 07:19 AM   #984
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
yeah that works
OFFLINE |  
L0ST
08-02-2006, 07:21 AM

i'm always open to suggestions, but the "peanuts parents" thing...i dunno...i hear "repeat experience" perfectly clear
Old 08-02-2006, 07:21 AM   #985
Level 4 - Thinker

i'm always open to suggestions, but the "peanuts parents" thing...i dunno...i hear "repeat experience" perfectly clear
OFFLINE |  
08-02-2006, 07:30 AM

^ Whatever the line maybe, there's no way in hell I'd EVER describe it as "perfectly clear"! LOL!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:30 AM   #986
Level 8 - Vociferous

^ Whatever the line maybe, there's no way in hell I'd EVER describe it as "perfectly clear"! LOL!
08-02-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Okay, before you go running off at the mouth maybe you should read more.

A) I never called anyone a name. I said the post brought the term 'fucktard' to mind.

B) That lyrics version, the one he posted, has been on lyrics sites since before the album was released. All of the areas of contention have been talked about for the past three months and none of them are right (with the possible exception of 'repeat experience'

C) It's not as though that's this new guy's interpretation. He found a lyrics site (which he assumes has the correct lyrics) and posts them here as though we don't have Google and can't find that version in a dozen places on the net. The EXACT same version he posted has been posted several times before, complete with the exact same wrong lyrics. It's a waste of thread space and my reading time to think someone might have some new insight only to find that it's a copy/paste job of something that's been posted in this SAME THREAD multiple times.

D) Wouldn't you think that we, on the biggest Tool forum on the net, wouldn't be discussing the lyrics if there was already an 'official' one out there; one that you could find just by going to a lyrics site?

E) Finally, why the fuck do people feel the absolute NEED to post the entire goddamn song? There are only like four or five placecs in the song that are still under scrutiny. Is it really necessary to post a mile long list of lyrics when you give *your* interpretation when only a few lines are going to be different? It's superfluous.

I do agree with you that everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that people that post obviously without having read the thread they're posting in should be banned. They're wasting their time as well as mine.

EDIT: Now, sitting back and pondering... fucktard still comes to mind.

Last edited by BlanketEffect; 08-02-2006 at 08:13 AM..
Old 08-02-2006, 07:34 AM   #987
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Okay, before you go running off at the mouth maybe you should read more.

A) I never called anyone a name. I said the post brought the term 'fucktard' to mind.

B) That lyrics version, the one he posted, has been on lyrics sites since before the album was released. All of the areas of contention have been talked about for the past three months and none of them are right (with the possible exception of 'repeat experience'

C) It's not as though that's this new guy's interpretation. He found a lyrics site (which he assumes has the correct lyrics) and posts them here as though we don't have Google and can't find that version in a dozen places on the net. The EXACT same version he posted has been posted several times before, complete with the exact same wrong lyrics. It's a waste of thread space and my reading time to think someone might have some new insight only to find that it's a copy/paste job of something that's been posted in this SAME THREAD multiple times.

D) Wouldn't you think that we, on the biggest Tool forum on the net, wouldn't be discussing the lyrics if there was already an 'official' one out there; one that you could find just by going to a lyrics site?

E) Finally, why the fuck do people feel the absolute NEED to post the entire goddamn song? There are only like four or five placecs in the song that are still under scrutiny. Is it really necessary to post a mile long list of lyrics when you give *your* interpretation when only a few lines are going to be different? It's superfluous.

I do agree with you that everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that people that post obviously without having read the thread they're posting in should be banned. They're wasting their time as well as mine.

EDIT: Now, sitting back and pondering... fucktard still comes to mind.

Last edited by BlanketEffect; 08-02-2006 at 08:13 AM..
OFFLINE |  
08-02-2006, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ST
I really support the idea that both are being said, on seperate tracks. The way they blend together makes it sound as though it could be either, but upon careful listening I find that when I listen to one track's voice I hear one, and when I pay attention to the other track's voice I hear the other.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:44 AM   #988
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ST
I really support the idea that both are being said, on seperate tracks. The way they blend together makes it sound as though it could be either, but upon careful listening I find that when I listen to one track's voice I hear one, and when I pay attention to the other track's voice I hear the other.

OFFLINE |  
Thirdeye11
08-02-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
There are definitely 2 vocals being recorded here. When I listen closely I can hear the same thing recorded, just 2 different takes. Because they are truly separate tracks, and not identical, I believe they are saying the same thing but at slightly different times. Even while trying to mentally "listen" for repeat experience, i just can't hear all the syllables for experience.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #989

Quote:
There are definitely 2 vocals being recorded here. When I listen closely I can hear the same thing recorded, just 2 different takes. Because they are truly separate tracks, and not identical, I believe they are saying the same thing but at slightly different times. Even while trying to mentally "listen" for repeat experience, i just can't hear all the syllables for experience.
OFFLINE |  
08-02-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
And it may be one or the other and only one. Could just be a coincidence that it sounds like both. It seems there are three vocal tracks. Two in a higher pitched tone and one in a low, more grumbly tone. The low tone and one of the high tones say 'Peanuts parents'; the remaining high tone says 'repeat experience'

As for there not being enough syllables for 'experience' I think he pronounces it as 'expeeryunce' - as in only using three syllables.

... why it was a re{peat expeeryunce}
... why you all sound like{Peanuts parents}

They line up like that. However, his enunciation is quite slurred there, so it lends slightly more leway to it being multiple lines. But like I said, might just be a coincidence.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #990
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
And it may be one or the other and only one. Could just be a coincidence that it sounds like both. It seems there are three vocal tracks. Two in a higher pitched tone and one in a low, more grumbly tone. The low tone and one of the high tones say 'Peanuts parents'; the remaining high tone says 'repeat experience'

As for there not being enough syllables for 'experience' I think he pronounces it as 'expeeryunce' - as in only using three syllables.

They line up like that. However, his enunciation is quite slurred there, so it lends slightly more leway to it being multiple lines. But like I said, might just be a coincidence.

OFFLINE |  
AndreTheShadow
08-02-2006, 12:14 PM

Goddamn, looking through this thread, I'm amazed the bastard can pull this song off live.

To think of it, it was amazing live..
Old 08-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #991
Level 1 - Lurker

Goddamn, looking through this thread, I'm amazed the bastard can pull this song off live.

To think of it, it was amazing live..
08-02-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Even given lyrics, we'll likely never know the real answer to this.

If there are 3 vocal tracks, that would make sense given the nature of the title of the song and its implications to a piece of history.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #992

Quote:

Even given lyrics, we'll likely never know the real answer to this.

If there are 3 vocal tracks, that would make sense given the nature of the title of the song and its implications to a piece of history.
OFFLINE |  
L0ST
08-03-2006, 05:53 AM

So nobody here has audio equipment capable of stripping the different tracks? The possibility of three vocal tracks does make a lot of sense...as in the three different languages used on the Rosetta Stone. Why does MJK have to be so difficult...
Old 08-03-2006, 05:53 AM   #993
Level 4 - Thinker

So nobody here has audio equipment capable of stripping the different tracks? The possibility of three vocal tracks does make a lot of sense...as in the three different languages used on the Rosetta Stone. Why does MJK have to be so difficult...
OFFLINE |  
08-03-2006, 06:37 AM

Damn learned people

Old 08-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #994
Level 8 - Vociferous

Damn learned people

OFFLINE |  
Thirdeye11
08-03-2006, 07:58 AM

You can't separate audio tracks from a song :P Gotta have a mixdown from an audio program.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:58 AM   #995

You can't separate audio tracks from a song :P Gotta have a mixdown from an audio program.
OFFLINE |  
08-03-2006, 09:15 AM

peanuts' parents makes perfect sense for some dude tripping out on acid etc.
everyone sounds weird to him like on charlie brown.

but the one line that everyone keeps putting down as abanandana or whatever-i think is something with 'the banana landed' in it. see if any of you can work that into your lyrics there. Because he talks about the banana that appears then he says the banana stopped on a dime and then it lands after the wicked jump.

anyone else hear that?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #996

but the one line that everyone keeps putting down as abanandana or whatever-i think is something with 'the banana landed' in it. see if any of you can work that into your lyrics there. Because he talks about the banana that appears then he says the banana stopped on a dime and then it lands after the wicked jump.

anyone else hear that?
08-03-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Spirit of Radio

anyone else hear that?
But part of the line immediately before says

'while making the sound:' - 'abanannadabananna'

Good idea, but I don't think it's right.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #997
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

anyone else hear that?
But part of the line immediately before says

'while making the sound:' - 'abanannadabananna'

Good idea, but I don't think it's right.

OFFLINE |  
Thirdeye11
08-03-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:

anyone else hear that?
He doesn't say The banana stopped on a dime IMO.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #998

Quote:

anyone else hear that?
He doesn't say The banana stopped on a dime IMO.
OFFLINE |  
08-03-2006, 07:21 PM

I do believe whatever is being said references 'stopping' on a dime or 'turning' on a dime. May have something to do with the ship. It shows up and splits the sky and then stops on a dime. He doesn't say this, lyrically, but I believe it ties in. The bananna stops on a dime and then does something to pull him up through the opening.

I think 'yelping' is more likely 'opening' although I hear 'yelping' more clearly.

"And you were yelping - Holy fucking shit!"

is more likely something like:

"...into the opening - Holy fucking shit!"

Old 08-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #999
Level 8 - Vociferous

I do believe whatever is being said references 'stopping' on a dime or 'turning' on a dime. May have something to do with the ship. It shows up and splits the sky and then stops on a dime. He doesn't say this, lyrically, but I believe it ties in. The bananna stops on a dime and then does something to pull him up through the opening.

I think 'yelping' is more likely 'opening' although I hear 'yelping' more clearly.

"And you were yelping - Holy fucking shit!"

is more likely something like:

"...into the opening - Holy fucking shit!"

OFFLINE |  
08-03-2006, 09:07 PM

And to conjure this one up again because no one answered it before:

'Like the time Dave floated away'

The popular theory right now is that the song is about some guy named 'Dave' and his experience on acid.

Throughout the whole song the narrator refers to himself in the first person. I/me/my and so on. So why would he refer to 'Dave' as floating away (in the third person perspective) and then in the same stanza say "see my heart is..." (referring to himself in the first person possessive)

Either the song is not sung from the perspective of (and therefore not about) Dave or he doesn't sing 'Like the time Dave floated away'.

So then the question is who is the song about; or, what does he say if it is not 'Dave'?

Old 08-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #1000
Level 8 - Vociferous

And to conjure this one up again because no one answered it before:

'Like the time Dave floated away'

The popular theory right now is that the song is about some guy named 'Dave' and his experience on acid.

Throughout the whole song the narrator refers to himself in the first person. I/me/my and so on. So why would he refer to 'Dave' as floating away (in the third person perspective) and then in the same stanza say "see my heart is..." (referring to himself in the first person possessive)

Either the song is not sung from the perspective of (and therefore not about) Dave or he doesn't sing 'Like the time Dave floated away'.

So then the question is who is the song about; or, what does he say if it is not 'Dave'?

OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply