Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
STA's Avatar STA
03-07-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateral Undertow
I remember watching a documetary or something about it. But I don't remember much.
The Rosetta Stone is what allowed us finally to understand Egyptian hieroglyphics. It's a stone - literally - with the same (partial) text inscribed in three different scripts. One of the three scripts was hieroglyphics, which up to that point we were unable to understand. Another of the scripts was Greek, which, of course, was perfectly readable. After about 30 years of study, researchers were eventually able to "decode" Egyptian hieroglyphics by comparing it to the Greek. (You should read up on how this was done and how hieroglyphics is read, it's fascinating.)

This is (one reason) why track titles of "Rosetta Stoned" and "Lost Keys" are interesting/suspicious/what-have-you. The Rosetta Stone is literally a lost key. (And, as someone else cleverly noted, it took about 10,000 days for researchers to decipher the hieroglyphics...) This is all meaningless conjecture, I'm sure, and the 10,000 days component is a massive stretch, but, as Blair would say, there it is.

Last edited by STA; 03-07-2006 at 12:39 PM..
Old 03-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #241
STA
Banned.

Bincount™: 11285
Re: according to rock sound magazine.

Quote:
I remember watching a documetary or something about it. But I don't remember much.
The Rosetta Stone is what allowed us finally to understand Egyptian hieroglyphics. It's a stone - literally - with the same (partial) text inscribed in three different scripts. One of the three scripts was hieroglyphics, which up to that point we were unable to understand. Another of the scripts was Greek, which, of course, was perfectly readable. After about 30 years of study, researchers were eventually able to "decode" Egyptian hieroglyphics by comparing it to the Greek. (You should read up on how this was done and how hieroglyphics is read, it's fascinating.)

This is (one reason) why track titles of "Rosetta Stoned" and "Lost Keys" are interesting/suspicious/what-have-you. The Rosetta Stone is literally a lost key. (And, as someone else cleverly noted, it took about 10,000 days for researchers to decipher the hieroglyphics...) This is all meaningless conjecture, I'm sure, and the 10,000 days component is a massive stretch, but, as Blair would say, there it is.

Last edited by STA; 03-07-2006 at 12:39 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Lateral Undertow's Avatar Lateral Undertow
03-07-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow to Anima

Thanks, I actually found a website that sums it up real quickly and concisely. I think I am going to study more about the translation and such. From what you have told me and the little bit I found out from just googling it, it sounds very interesting.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #242
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

Thanks, I actually found a website that sums it up real quickly and concisely. I think I am going to study more about the translation and such. From what you have told me and the little bit I found out from just googling it, it sounds very interesting.
mike09's Avatar mike09
03-07-2006, 01:05 PM

was it Andy King's review or the fake drum magazine review of "The Thorn" that said that the album sounded egyptian at times?
Old 03-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #243
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

was it Andy King's review or the fake drum magazine review of "The Thorn" that said that the album sounded egyptian at times?
Nebel
03-07-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike09
The fake drum magazine review of "The Thorn"
Old 03-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #244
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
The fake drum magazine review of "The Thorn"
mike09's Avatar mike09
03-07-2006, 01:08 PM

fuck, it would have nicely connected with post #250
Old 03-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #245
Banned.

fuck, it would have nicely connected with post #250
STA's Avatar STA
03-07-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Andy King's said track six sounded "Native American" (and "for no good reason"); I don't think there was any mention of "Egyptian". I don't recall what was said about "The Thorn".
Old 03-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #246
STA
Banned.

Quote:
Andy King's said track six sounded "Native American" (and "for no good reason"); I don't think there was any mention of "Egyptian". I don't recall what was said about "The Thorn".
adda da suh's Avatar adda da suh
03-07-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
We don't need people theorizing about what the Rosetta Stone is. Go to the British Museum and see it for yourself. While you're there, make sure you see the Elgin Marbles, too.
I know what it is..I was just wondering if this guy did. I could care less what the meaning of the song is right now. I am stating that is an actual object of historical 'importance' And I had no idea it is kept in the U.K I will be in Leeds in July, and could maybe go check it out, or anything else cool if you have any recommendations?
Old 03-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #247
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
We don't need people theorizing about what the Rosetta Stone is. Go to the British Museum and see it for yourself. While you're there, make sure you see the Elgin Marbles, too.
I know what it is..I was just wondering if this guy did. I could care less what the meaning of the song is right now. I am stating that is an actual object of historical 'importance' And I had no idea it is kept in the U.K I will be in Leeds in July, and could maybe go check it out, or anything else cool if you have any recommendations?
03-07-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I saw Carl Sagan talk about it on an old episode of "Cosmos" pretty interesting.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #248
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I saw Carl Sagan talk about it on an old episode of "Cosmos" pretty interesting.
mike09's Avatar mike09
03-07-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
what exactly does "Native American" sound like? Did they/do they have their own form of music?
Old 03-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #249
Banned.

Quote:
what exactly does "Native American" sound like? Did they/do they have their own form of music?
STA's Avatar STA
03-07-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what Andy King meant by that. In fact, I have no idea what to make of his review at all. As far as I know, Blair still hasn't commented on it, although I'm told that he mentioned several days ago that he'd be posting about it soon on Toolarmy. I've exchanged several emails with Andy about the review, which I promised I wouldn't post, and I must admit that he sounds sincere. However, I should also point out that his emails to me were peppered with plugs (for his website, for his radio show, for bands he's promoting . . . ), just like the moneyisevil/Andy King threads in this forum were.

That's a good question, though: Does anyone know what Native American music sounds like in general? Does it have a "general sound" at all?
Old 03-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #250
STA
Banned.

Quote:
I have no idea what Andy King meant by that. In fact, I have no idea what to make of his review at all. As far as I know, Blair still hasn't commented on it, although I'm told that he mentioned several days ago that he'd be posting about it soon on Toolarmy. I've exchanged several emails with Andy about the review, which I promised I wouldn't post, and I must admit that he sounds sincere. However, I should also point out that his emails to me were peppered with plugs (for his website, for his radio show, for bands he's promoting . . . ), just like the moneyisevil/Andy King threads in this forum were.

That's a good question, though: Does anyone know what Native American music sounds like in general? Does it have a "general sound" at all?
bozziodrummer000's Avatar bozziodrummer000
03-07-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Go home and destroy Aenima.
im not saying i wont listen to and probably love it... i just dont want to hear bush bashing or how bad the iraq war is...
And I become the Night Man...
Old 03-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #251
Fighter of the Night Man

Bincount™: 8520

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Go home and destroy Aenima.
im not saying i wont listen to and probably love it... i just dont want to hear bush bashing or how bad the iraq war is...
And I become the Night Man...
mike09's Avatar mike09
03-07-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozziodrummer000
It won't be like that. It's not going to be something obvious like American Idiot. Maynard's lyrics can be interpreted many ways anyway.

And on a completely different topic, I don't think Aenima is a political album at all. Stinkfist makes a commentary about censorship, but to me atleast, most of the songs are much more personal.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #252
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozziodrummer000
It won't be like that. It's not going to be something obvious like American Idiot. Maynard's lyrics can be interpreted many ways anyway.

And on a completely different topic, I don't think Aenima is a political album at all. Stinkfist makes a commentary about censorship, but to me atleast, most of the songs are much more personal.
jhnygsh's Avatar jhnygsh
03-07-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
www.rosettastoned.com

Someone do that magic thing you do when you get us all the information about a website.
as much as i dislike perpetuating the dismissal of the track titles and album title, none of the domain names are redirecting me to toolband when i type them in. if i remember properly, this is what would be happening if the titles were correct. Tool was supposed to buy all the domain names assocaiated with the new CD, right??

any thoughts?
Old 03-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #253
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
www.rosettastoned.com

Someone do that magic thing you do when you get us all the information about a website.
as much as i dislike perpetuating the dismissal of the track titles and album title, none of the domain names are redirecting me to toolband when i type them in. if i remember properly, this is what would be happening if the titles were correct. Tool was supposed to buy all the domain names assocaiated with the new CD, right??

any thoughts?
mike09's Avatar mike09
03-07-2006, 01:42 PM

well i maintain the titles and the album name are fake, though i stopped worrying about it yesterday, so...
Old 03-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #254
Banned.

well i maintain the titles and the album name are fake, though i stopped worrying about it yesterday, so...
STA's Avatar STA
03-07-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnygsh

any thoughts?
This has already been discussed in this thread. Check a few pages back.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #255
STA
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnygsh

any thoughts?
This has already been discussed in this thread. Check a few pages back.
03-07-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Its probably just a short segue with some banging drums and shakers, maybe something similar to the music in the background of the crazy scene in Natural born killers when Mickey is wigging out and ends up shooting the leader of the Tribe.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #256
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Its probably just a short segue with some banging drums and shakers, maybe something similar to the music in the background of the crazy scene in Natural born killers when Mickey is wigging out and ends up shooting the leader of the Tribe.
Goldfoot
03-07-2006, 02:52 PM

I saw on The Discovery Channel that the myth of the Holy Grail is equivalent to a novel, meaning that it was just a story made up to entertain.

The same special also uncovered that the Knights Templar was a fake organization.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #257
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 88

I saw on The Discovery Channel that the myth of the Holy Grail is equivalent to a novel, meaning that it was just a story made up to entertain.

The same special also uncovered that the Knights Templar was a fake organization.
03-08-2006, 01:46 PM

Isnt it the worst when you get way too rosetta stoned and you lose your keys?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #258
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

Isnt it the worst when you get way too rosetta stoned and you lose your keys?
03-08-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladdy16
I think that Reflection and Triad are good examples of what might happen if you combined Native American themes and Tool...
yea... native american music is pretty distinctive. Don't really know how I would describe it, though. That's why there's Google and Wikipedia, however. Research it for yourself.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #259
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladdy16
I think that Reflection and Triad are good examples of what might happen if you combined Native American themes and Tool...
yea... native american music is pretty distinctive. Don't really know how I would describe it, though. That's why there's Google and Wikipedia, however. Research it for yourself.
03-08-2006, 03:00 PM

I would describe modernly to music as to what some of the things and vocals styles ray did on the mayan factor stuff. And i know they may be a big band on this board but for those of you who dont know them the mayan factor is an excellent and very much its own genre band. http://www.myspace.com/themayanfactor listen to warflower
Old 03-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #260
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66

I would describe modernly to music as to what some of the things and vocals styles ray did on the mayan factor stuff. And i know they may be a big band on this board but for those of you who dont know them the mayan factor is an excellent and very much its own genre band. http://www.myspace.com/themayanfactor listen to warflower
03-08-2006, 03:02 PM

nevermind they took down warflower, listen to any of those 4 songs on their myspace page thoughl
Old 03-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #261
Level 8 - Vociferous

nevermind they took down warflower, listen to any of those 4 songs on their myspace page thoughl
03-08-2006, 03:19 PM

me not like. not at all.

oh shit, guitar solo! cut it out.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #262
Banned.

Bincount™: 932

me not like. not at all.

oh shit, guitar solo! cut it out.
Sol Invictus's Avatar Sol Invictus
03-08-2006, 03:24 PM

Im sorry just thought some people might enjoy the band its better than 98% of the shit on american radio. But im psyched about yesterdays new mogwai release now thats exciting.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #263
Level 8 - Vociferous

Im sorry just thought some people might enjoy the band its better than 98% of the shit on american radio. But im psyched about yesterdays new mogwai release now thats exciting.
03-08-2006, 07:48 PM

i totally called "lost keys"
Old 03-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #264
Level 4 - Thinker

dracomordag's Avatar dracomordag
03-08-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thautis
proof=http://www.toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=773868#post773868
Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #265
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

Quote:
Originally Posted by thautis
proof=http://www.toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=773868#post773868
03-08-2006, 08:08 PM

haha, yeah, and i was only being half serious with the "i called it"
Old 03-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #266
Level 4 - Thinker