opin.menu.register.jpgopin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Vicarious
User Name
Password
Reply
Old 12-25-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fifth Deminsion
Posts: 75
Bincount™: 1
audio is for crap.

Once again.....


They had to use the shitty compressed audio for broadcast on the DVD.

Why can't they just sync the album version to the video?

Highly disappointed in this, same shit as Schism and Parabola.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 644
Bincount™: 38
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzblome View Post
Once again.....


They had to use the shitty compressed audio for broadcast on the DVD.

Why can't they just sync the album version to the video?

Highly disappointed in this, same shit as Schism and Parabola.
Yeah, that's a shame. the audio is indeed shitty because of the compression. i wish they'd have used PCM. but then they probably had to stick to some DVD standards so...

maybe you can demux the audio from the video, "uncompress" the audio, and remux the audio and the video files when you play it. Not sure that would help much though...

i can't wait until 10,000 Days comes out on vinyls =)
__________________
"People who talk in metaphors ought to shampoo my crotch."

Last edited by godhenry; 12-25-2007 at 01:07 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
Level 10 - Vehement
 
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dorset, VT
Posts: 2,062
Bincount™: 217
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzblome View Post
Once again.....


They had to use the shitty compressed audio for broadcast on the DVD.

Why can't they just sync the album version to the video?

Highly disappointed in this, same shit as Schism and Parabola.
stfu, jizzblow (clever!)
__________________
i know, shit!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fifth Deminsion
Posts: 75
Bincount™: 1
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
stfu, jizzblow (clever!)

why the hostility?

can no one have an opinion?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement
 
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dorset, VT
Posts: 2,062
Bincount™: 217
Re: audio is for crap.

Why can't Juzblome just sync the album version to the video?
...i mean, if you're so disappointed, there are ways around your biases - other than bitchin' about ridiculous shit. no hostility, live and let.
__________________
i know, shit!

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 12-27-2007 at 12:38 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:13 AM   #6
Level 2 - Poster
 
Lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Your mind
Posts: 7
Bincount™: 0
Re: audio is for crap.

The intro sounds cool. Then... shit.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,200
Bincount™: 1
Re: audio is for crap.

I was wondering about that.

The ISIS and LoG dvds do that as well. You have to crank the volume all the way up and it still isn't that loud. Makes watching it less enjoyable in my opinion.

Any way to get around this? And why are some dvds made this way?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2
Bincount™: 0
Re: audio is for crap.

Whoever authored this dvd did it in the cheapest way possible.... the least they could have done (since in my humble opinion the video was not Tool's best) was do a 5.1 mix on with the audio. I think since the audio was so bad, that it really made the video seem alot worse. It is pretty shocking that the dvd's they release are such poor quality, when everything else they do is so amazing.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,200
Bincount™: 1
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendykroy View Post
Whoever authored this dvd did it in the cheapest way possible.... the least they could have done (since in my humble opinion the video was not Tool's best) was do a 5.1 mix on with the audio. I think since the audio was so bad, that it really made the video seem alot worse. It is pretty shocking that the dvd's they release are such poor quality, when everything else they do is so amazing.
Not sure if its the cheapest way possible, been looking around and some audiophiles swear by the "lower volume" being a truer sound. To me it's annoying as shit, but to each his own...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fifth Deminsion
Posts: 75
Bincount™: 1
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Not sure if its the cheapest way possible, been looking around and some audiophiles swear by the "lower volume" being a truer sound. To me it's annoying as shit, but to each his own...

It's not a question of "lower Volume".

It's lack of dynamic range. Although both the song Vicarious, and the entire album 10,000 days has been much argued about being too loud; This version is compressed even more and put on the disk at a lower volume. This makes total sense for people who watch the DVD on a tv or PC. You want it to be that way so it sounds good on a "4 speaker in the tv set or your desk top speakers. But play it through a nice stereo and you will notice a huge difference from the 10,000 days CD.

And I'm not talking about playing it in surround sound or pro logic, or 5.1, or 7.1 or any other multichannel system other than straight stereo.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2
Bincount™: 0
Re: audio is for crap.

Since this is a DVD, they do have the capability of selectable audio mixes. There is no excuse for the way they put these out, other than being cheap.

Last edited by wendykroy; 01-07-2008 at 06:15 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 644
Bincount™: 38
Re: audio is for crap.

why would anyone want to listen to music in 5.1 or 7.1 surround? it's not like there is a flying F-15 or an huge explosion in the middle of vicarious. there is nothing "directional" in music. the music was produced in stereo and should be listened in stereo. listening to studio music in 5.1 is like playing vinyl on 5.1 surround--that's just oxymoronic. and i've never bought into the whole DVD-A idea.

Juzblome was spot on in describing the problems associated with DVD audio. Like I said earlier, they should have put on the DVD an uncompressed PCM audio option.

Stereophile for live!
__________________
"People who talk in metaphors ought to shampoo my crotch."
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #13
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,200
Bincount™: 1
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzblome View Post
It's not a question of "lower Volume".

It's lack of dynamic range. Although both the song Vicarious, and the entire album 10,000 days has been much argued about being too loud; This version is compressed even more and put on the disk at a lower volume. This makes total sense for people who watch the DVD on a tv or PC. You want it to be that way so it sounds good on a "4 speaker in the tv set or your desk top speakers. But play it through a nice stereo and you will notice a huge difference from the 10,000 days CD.

And I'm not talking about playing it in surround sound or pro logic, or 5.1, or 7.1 or any other multichannel system other than straight stereo.
Oh well. I'm just on a straight stereo system. I thought 10,000 Days sounded great through it, but this DVD (and some others) sound like crap. Oh well, the video isn't that great anyway.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2
Bincount™: 0
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
there is nothing "directional" in music.
Aha,

I have a 7.1 system. It makes a quite a difference.

Also, a lot of people specially craft audio just for 5.1. Even if it wasn't originally in 5.1 remixing it is just as good if it's done right. The SACD of Dark Side of the Moon is awesome.

Anyway, what I think juzblume was trying to point out is that if they're going to go to all the effort to make a video why wouldn't they just put it in 5.1 as well? If I ever met them it would be the first question I'd ask.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Posts: 718
Bincount™: 0
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnack View Post
The SACD of Dark Side of the Moon is awesome.
I'll 2nd that.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fifth Deminsion
Posts: 75
Bincount™: 1
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnack View Post
Aha,

I have a 7.1 system. It makes a quite a difference.

Also, a lot of people specially craft audio just for 5.1. Even if it wasn't originally in 5.1 remixing it is just as good if it's done right. The SACD of Dark Side of the Moon is awesome.

Anyway, what I think juzblume was trying to point out is that if they're going to go to all the effort to make a video why wouldn't they just put it in 5.1 as well? If I ever met them it would be the first question I'd ask.

If they did a mix in 5.1, I would like to hear it. I have no problem with Multichannel formats. As long as it was mixed and encoded that way.

But I was meaning people that are listening to the stereo mix and just turning the prologic on. that does nothing but add phase anomilies, which would make it sound like it's "coming from all around". But ultimatly it's just adding an out of phase signal to the rear speakers.

I believe that most people who have commented are understanding what I'm putting down.

They said they made 24bit 196kHz Masters for 10,000 days, why not put that master on the disk. DVD's can hold it, although not all DVD players and Digital audio receivers can play it back. But, they can dither it down to it's playable resolution.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:29 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 644
Bincount™: 38
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzblome View Post
If they did a mix in 5.1, I would like to hear it. I have no problem with Multichannel formats. As long as it was mixed and encoded that way.

But I was meaning people that are listening to the stereo mix and just turning the prologic on. that does nothing but add phase anomilies, which would make it sound like it's "coming from all around". But ultimatly it's just adding an out of phase signal to the rear speakers.

I believe that most people who have commented are understanding what I'm putting down.
ahh then i misunderstood you slightly. my bad. i hear what you're saying. but as a matter of personal preference, i just prefer my music in stereo.

dsotm is a different story though, as is the wall. although i still think my dsotm vinyl sounds better than the SACD. but then again, it's just a personal preference.

Quote:
They said they made 24bit 196kHz Masters for 10,000 days, why not put that master on the disk. DVD's can hold it, although not all DVD players and Digital audio receivers can play it back. But, they can dither it down to it's playable resolution.
i would definitely love to get a hold of that!
__________________
"People who talk in metaphors ought to shampoo my crotch."
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fifth Deminsion
Posts: 75
Bincount™: 1
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
. but as a matter of personal preference, i just prefer my music in stereo.

Agreed 100%
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker
 
ego_mos_perceptum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 4
Bincount™: 0
Re: audio is for crap.

Actually, 10,000 days was mastered in surround.

"“If any record deserves to be heard in surround sound, it's this one. There's so much tone painting and so much color. It would just be a thrill to hear it in surround sound."

- Bob Ludwig

http://mixonline.com/recording/proje...ng_tools_days/
__________________
Nothing is really real unless it happens on television.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Posts: 718
Bincount™: 0
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego_mos_perceptum View Post
Actually, 10,000 days was mastered in surround.

"“If any record deserves to be heard in surround sound, it's this one. There's so much tone painting and so much color. It would just be a thrill to hear it in surround sound."

- Bob Ludwig

http://mixonline.com/recording/proje...ng_tools_days/
Actually, it was mastered in a way that it could be mixed in surround without having to start over. The next sentence in that quote was " And with 96k, 24-bit masters, we're ready for any kind of high-resolution digital projects".
They haven't actually done a surround mix, but they could.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: england
Posts: 2
Bincount™: 0
Re: audio is for crap.

Originally Posted by ego_mos_perceptum View Post
Actually, 10,000 days was mastered in surround.

"“If any record deserves to be heard in surround sound, it's this one. There's so much tone painting and so much color. It would just be a thrill to hear it in surround sound."

- Bob Ludwig

http://mixonline.com/recording/proje...ng_tools_days/


This doesn't mean it is! how did you derive that it was from that? he says it deserves it and WOULD be a thrill, not it IS a thrill.
Anyway even with the masters you wouldn't be able to make a surround sound mix. You go back to the original multi-tracks, mix them in surround, then master again. You can't re-pan instruments out of a master, it's just a stereo track.

but yes....would be ace....i need a 5.1 system first tho! :P
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #22
homer jay
 
slamminsalmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wtvl, Maine
Posts: 6,067
Bincount™: 4656
Re: audio is for crap.

there is a reason for everything they do imo

ludwig knows wut he is doing and so does the band.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #23
Level 3 - Talker
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 18
Bincount™: 0
Re: audio is for crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendykroy View Post
Whoever authored this dvd did it in the cheapest way possible.... the least they could have done (since in my humble opinion the video was not Tool's best) was do a 5.1 mix on with the audio. I think since the audio was so bad, that it really made the video seem alot worse. It is pretty shocking that the dvd's they release are such poor quality, when everything else they do is so amazing.
picky picky. I dont agree, maybe since they create the art themselves cost might have something to do with production but come on...is it that big of a deal. Im just glad that the video even exsists.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker
 
vicariouslyeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 43
Bincount™: 0
Re: audio is for crap.

it has nothing to do with picky, if a PAY for a friggin MUSIC dvd, i want good sound. just dont see the point in making a music video with crappy sound...
__________________
I'm back down. I'm in the undertow.
I'm helpless and awake in the undertow.
I'll die within your undertow.
It seems there's no other way out of this undertow.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote


Reply

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Quick Reply
Your Reply:
Forum Jump

all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.