opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #41
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Re: 2006/09/15 - Kansas City, MO - Kemper Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualize_epiphanies View Post
^agreed.

and while string quartets have been known to do justice to Tool's music, it cannot be denied that Tool fucking ROCKS. you can't help but have fun and rock out. i'm not a lemming, everything i shouted/cheered/lit up at that concert was for my own enjoyment solely.

i only wish i'd had a banner to hold up for the band: "LONG LIVE RUGGED INDIVIDUALISM"; i'm sure there were many like-minded INDIVIDUALS there who would have agreed with me.
I am 39 Years old, and in a venue and with a band such as Tool, I couldnt agree more. I dont smoke, but I benefit from the smoke of those who did :), and I do drink, but Could drive home at the end. Tool Sobered me with the music, the emotion in their song. Express yourself people, but always be conscience of those around you for which you share this world. If you want to sit and peacefully listen to Tool and find your place in life, I suggest you do it at home. Those who show up for the concert are mostly there to share a couple hours with likeminded, TOOL appreciative people, and I say ROCK ON to all of them. "IVE.... COME..... ROUND.... FULL CIRCLE!!!!!! Peace
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

This was Tool show number 6 for me...and actually my least favorite. Still a damn good show, but it didn't really compare to the past shows I've seen.

We got there a little late so we missed the first song or two from Isis, but saw the rest of the set. I enjoyed it...it was pretty cool, but I wasn't especially enthralled. I was happy that they didn't do so much of the cookie monster vocals and actually had some decent singing on some songs. I think they're a reasonable band to have open for Tool, but I didn't like them nearly as much as any of the past openers I've seen (King Crimson, Tricky, and Tomahawk).

Between the sets, while looking around at the arena, I realized that this was the biggest show I've ever been to. I think maybe the ridiculous size of the arena was part of the reason I didn't like it as much. We ended up with some drunk morons in front of us who tried to scream the song lyrics to each other and kept falling down. Unfortunately none of them fell hard enough.

I didn't think the setlist was that great...it was the EXACT same setlist as we saw in May, except they played 10,000 Days instead of the Patient. 10,000 days was cool, but to be honest, I think I like the Patient more even though its one of my less favorite songs from Lateralus. I wish they would've played Right in Two in place of say, the Pot, to at least throw SOME variation in there.

highlights:
the fast breakdown in schism
The energy of the last 3 songs
hearing 10,000days live for the first time

I thought the stage setup was kind of cool, but nowhere near as good as the Lateralus tours. The stage-as-a-screen thing had a couple really cool moments, but for the most part didn't work that well (maybe it was cooler if you were back?). I'd rather just see the screens really big like they've done on every other tour. The lasers and the fancy christmas lights in the back were kind of cool, but pretty boring and cheesy I think when compared to the Alex Grey stuff from the Lateralus tour.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Great show. If anyone has any pics, post them up. I took some with my phone and they came out shitty.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #44
Fighter of the Night Man

Bincount™: 8520

uh-mazing
also my first tool show and it was defff worth the plane ride from ga
fawk waiting till the second leg

danny carey > everything else
And I become the Night Man...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 03:36 PM   #45
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

After this show I lost respect for Tool fans. Not all of you are douche bags with no respect for other people or any common (or so I thought ) courtesy...but it appears most of you are. Granted, this was my first Tool concert, and I was on the floor, right against the rail. A lot of the time I didn't even get to focus my attention on the band as I had to watch who was trying to weasel their way in front of me, watch for people surfing over me, or to get the fist or elbow out of my back. People were getting crushed and had to get bailed out, girls were crying and only a few people even batted an eye. As long as you can squeeze your way 6 inches closer, huh? The band kicked ass, but the people were fucking retards. I went to listen and enjoy music, not to be in the middle of a fucking blender of douche bags and elbows.

I thought Isis kicked ass, I really dug their stuff. The dude's mic was turned down, but it wasn't a big deal.

I'll catch a show in the spring leg, but I'll get a seat if I can.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #46

Also, I could do without Rosetta Stoned...maybe put in Eulogy or Parabol/Parabola? That would be fucking sick.

I thought Schism kicked ass live, and Lateralus was the highest energy point. Amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 08:20 PM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

Anyone else in section 222/223/224 see the dude who threw up all over himself. As we were leaving the show he was sitting on the very end of the isle with his head between his legs and a massive pile of vomit on the floor and himself. This vomit flow extended into the isle and people were having to hurdle it to get out. Sucks to be that guy!!!! Oh yeah and tool was just about flawless. Sorry to all those who got pit tickets and were really lookin forward to seein the projections and stage show, you got fucked on that one. That matrix esque writing during rosetta stoned was just beyond bad ass...dont really have any better words to describe it. Oh yeah and i had some fire ass BBQ in KC, Arthur Bryants is mothers milk.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 08:48 PM   #48
Level 3 - Talker

i was breaking out joints to share with whoever wanted to smoke. to those who looked down their noses when the bone was offered, sorry fuckers. to those who partook or even were polite about not accepting it, right on.
tool is the best band ever. they are also the best live band ever, i believe. i want to become a tool head and travel to all the shows, but i'm afraid of what people might think if i say i'm a tool head. huh huh huh.
so, to the beautiful girls who were apparently hitting on me, i am sorry for ignoring you. i have a girlfriend and am trying to prove to myself that i'm not a total piece of shit. otherwise... you know. thanks anyway.
and to the guy who broke out the primo joint- just so you know, it's a waste of cocaine to burn it on a joint. i enjoyed smoking it anyway.
to the dipshits who elbowed their way back to the front, i think you are lucky i and many others were in too good of a mood to take offense to a big dumb shit pushing them out of the way and grunting in a language only the most typcast of football players might have a chance of understanding. pricks.
i love everyone else. especially tool. would have been nice to be tripping, but it wasn't necessary. great show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #49
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Dear TOOL-
Fuck you.
Fuck you for invalidating my entire album collection.
Fuck you for invalidating the hundreds of other live shows I've experienced.
Fuck you for enchanting me for an evening only to leave me bent over, bruised and bleeding from the ears.

Only if I saw the Zep tour with Pink Floyd and NIN, with The Doors as the opener, and have my night capped off with blow jobs from all the Victoria Secret angels would I have the burning desire to see another live show. Am I exaggerating? No. Well...maybe. Ok yeah...nonetheless, great night, great show, great band, high energy...can't get over it. Perhaps a road-trip to the Windy City is in order...
Old 09-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #50
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yac03 View Post
Dear TOOL-
Fuck you.
Fuck you for invalidating my entire album collection.
Fuck you for invalidating the hundreds of other live shows I've experienced.
Fuck you for enchanting me for an evening only to leave me bent over, bruised and bleeding from the ears.

Only if I saw the Zep tour with Pink Floyd and NIN, with The Doors as the opener, and have my night capped off with blow jobs from all the Victoria Secret angels would I have the burning desire to see another live show. Am I exaggerating? No. Well...maybe. Ok yeah...nonetheless, great night, great show, great band, high energy...can't get over it. Perhaps a road-trip to the Windy City is in order...
Yeah, and then my friends have the nerve to tell me how "mindblowing" Muse was! I wouldn't have missed them, probably, had it not been for Tool, but come on. I'll take them to the next Tool concert and show them mindblowing!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 03:27 AM   #51
Level 3 - Talker

with my first show being durning the lateralus tour i was very let down this show. Maynards mic was fucked up. the stage was stupid compared to the Lateralus tour. Adam was on the right track with having the stage as part of the screen but maybe he should have dne the oppsite. have it start behind the band and then flow into the roff and go overhead. That would have been good. None the less still a great show but not as good as the lateralus tour
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:19 AM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote from Minnesota show.."Re: 2006/09/16 - Minneapolis, MN - Target Center

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another maynardism:

-everyone screams, but it wasnt too energetic (I wanna say after 10k days, but I'm not sure)

-Maynard proclaims "kansas was louder..."

-Everyone screams pretty loud

-Maynard "I didn't say louder was a good thing, just they were louder"

Louder IS better, just didnt want to piss off those dumbasses!! haha
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 09:37 AM   #53
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey6719 View Post

Someone needs to tell Maynard he didn't play in Kansas...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:50 AM   #54
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

^oh come on, at least half of the audience was from kansas.

and the whole point is that kansas is danny's hometown crowd.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #55

Awesome show!!! #11 for me and to all the people who think this was the worst ever or not as good as Lateralus tour, or whatever, goddamn please shut the fuck up! I've been seeing them since 1993 and the band is only getting better, people. I was at Monday's show in Houston and, though it wasn't their best, Maynard did what he could given his illness and it wasn't a bad show at all. But that KC crowd was UNBELIEVABLE!!! Nice job fans. I'm from St. Louis and that was the most insane crowd I have ever seen. I have never witnessed so many people going so crazy and singing at the top of their lungs for two straight hours. I am not a big fan of hearing people close to me sing and not being able to hear Maynard. But fortunately we didn't have anyone close to us trying to drown him out. And it is a testament to what this band's music does to people. There really aren't words to describe it. We are lucky to have a band like this that even exists to enjoy every 4-5 years. It is a privilege and an honor to see a show like KC-Kemper arena and I will never forget it. Their legend continues to grow with every show they play. Thank you TOOL!!! See ya next spring in St. Louis and wherever in the Southeastern U.S.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

I got to the show fairly eairly with my floor ticket (my sister and a friend all drove out there together). And I have to say that ISIS rocked and deserve a mention.

If there's one lesson I've learned from going to a tool concert, that I should have known in advanced since I've seen them at Kemper twice before and once at the Kansas Col. in Wichita, it's that...never buy floor tickets! Ever. Their a waste of money. There was so much going on on that stage but you couldn't see it from the floor at all.

My friend passed out (My sister thinks he laced his J with something you don't want to smoke, so, fuck him for being an idiot) and we carried him off the floor and to the bathrooms. He walked out and we lost him. He had gone out to his truck, ...and I decided, "Fuck it, I'll go." and we left eairly. I could hear Wings for Marrie playing in the background when we left, and I was kinda sad. I'll get over it...

The show rocked, and I spent 60 or 70 bucks to enjoy 3/4 of it. So fuck me for being an idiot and leaving when I didn't have to.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #57
Level 2 - Poster

Show number 17 for me...which (as Kabir put it) isn't so freakish when you consider that it's over the course of 14 years.

A sick Maynard is better than a ton of singers on their most healthy days. I'm sure the performance hurt but none of us could tell he was under the weather. The man is a machine, really.

Rosetta Stoned is freekin' amazing live, period. Even if a few lyrics are cheated. HA!

At any rate, easily one of the best visual Tool shows of my time. I was nervous of the smaller screens behind the stage as I didn't think they would be big enough...damn I was wrong. Hope that those behind the stage were able to see some of the art/visuals because everything worked so well with each song. Anyone else notice that they did use the screen on the overhead scoreboard for the first song...it kept cutting out and the screen was distorted...eventually they just gave up on it.

I, like Justin, had to sit for Wings/10k Days. There are just so many layers to that song that I can't fully process it...and live? It's incredible. Thanks for adding it to the set list, guys, despite the energy it brings.

First time at a KC show...big ups to everyone I came in contact with as I met some really good people. Everyone around me (Sec 111 Row L) danced their asses off...glad I was in good company.

Only complaint...and it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MUSIC...was the tour shirts. I admit, I'm old and have no taste for tour shirts these days. But do you all remember when Tool had the coolest fookin' shirts ever? What's the deal with the cheesy screen printing of Alex's stuff? Everything at the merch table reeked of a 70's Iron Maiden show...not the detailed, well thought-out shirts of Tool's yester-years. Such is life.

Bob help me!

Maynard - Thanks for the West-Side ups on-stage. For a hick with a faux-hawk, you throw a mean gang symbol.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #58
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phnx View Post
I would like to say that I for one dug the shit outta ISIS. I only caught half thier set, But, well, I'm listening to some ISIS right now. And I'm tired of hearing them catch shit. Solid, heavy sounds, and besides. You went there to see Tool, right? ISIS was a free little appatizer to get the mood right. ISIS was there because Tool likes them and wanted to expose us (you) to something new. Kinda like when I got to see APC with Sunna... and now Sunna is ranked number 9 on my last.fm page. Or when Tool had Bill Hicks open those few shows... I don't even need to say anything else there.
Just a follow up, `cause it made me smile when I saw it. My new last.fm stats were posted, I dunno- overnight I guess. But with a whopping 341 ISIS tracks last WEEK (Tool had 95, in comparison), that makes ISIS my number 10 band since I started using last.fm... well, exactaly 1 year ago today. Sunna is still at 9. 20,137 tracks scrobbled in one year. Pretty nifty. Actually, on one of my hard drives I have an image stored of Tool with 1,001 tracks and APC at 1,000. ANd I never even planned that. I managed to just catch that as it happened.

Check my last.fm page here

http://www.last.fm/user/phnx_mods/
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #59
Level 1 - Lurker

OMG!!!! I was so impressed with the set. My wife and I are not your typical rock fans and so were a bit taken aback by the two seats in front us with that housed 6 people, 4 of which who were obviously friends of the two who were supposed to be there. They made it really hard to enjoy the show for awhile until I decided to let it go and just enjoy.
Maynard was really funny. His little quips and funny bull-riding gestures were great.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful art.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

I typed this up as soon as I got home late Friday, but had to wait while my brand spanking new account was activated. Enjoy.

One of my big "rules" when it comes to concerts is that I CAN NOT listen to whatever band I'm going to see during the entire day leading up to the concert. I've heard that other people do this too. I think it's silly to listen to a band you are JUST ABOUT TO SEE, and it takes away from the experience somewhat. So, of course as I'm walking in, I hear at least ten cars blaring a Tool song. Most of them were probably doing it because they thought it was the correct thing to do. Hey, look at ME! I'm at a Tool concert and I'm listening to TOOL! Sheesh. I’d say most of them were either playing “The Pot” or “Vicarious”, obviously since those are the 2 radio songs. Why not “4 Degrees”?

Overall, I was horrified to see some types of people there, looking like they got lost on the way to the Rocky Horror picture show. Seriously, you do NOT look good in the bright blue satin tube top and platform boots. As Maynard would say, they’re just rock songs.

I made it inside just as Isis was beginning to play. I was going to think about buying a shirt, but the cheapest one was THIRTY-EIGHT bucks. No thank you. I did buy a beer, though, for SIX BUCKS. Good Lord. But hell, I needed SOMETHING to occupy time with. Made it to the floor, and I was bummed out that they kept my ticket after giving me a bracelet. I know it's so that I don't give my stub to someone else, but can't they just draw an "X" on the back or something?

Isis only played until about 8:30 or so. I've heard them before, but I'm not big enough of a fan to really get into it. Their drummer was quite good, as was their bassist.

So, Isis finishes, and they bring the lights up and start setting up for Tool. The uncovering of Danny's drum kit got a bigger reaction than anything Isis did, which is sad in a way. They played what I think were Isis songs overhead in the interim. Several people came up and complemented me on my "Free the West Memphis Three" shirt, including some fine females. Some dude plays tonsil hockey with some slut near the soundboard. Seriously, I thought he was going to start fucking her right there, she was kicking her shoes off and everything. Some other blonde chick is wearing heels, a 2-inch skirt, and is about to pop out of her top. Hey, she looked good, but she must have gotten lost on the way to the Bunny Ranch. Why you would dress like that being on the floor at an arena concert is beyond me. Her boyfriend/pimp takes her away, but they return later and it turns out she's friends with the tonsil hockey slut. What a shock. They do the whole “Omigod!” thing, and hug.

Every time an overhead song would end, the crowd would erupt, thinking Tool was coming out. At 9:15, the lights went out, and the crowd went batshit. Danny was wearing his usual Kansas basketball jersey Maynard had the ATF jacket. Adam was in a t-shirt, which was surprising to me for some reason. Justin was REALLY into each song, as opposed to the last show (Lateralus tour) where he looked as solemn as Adam usually is.

I'd say at least 70% of the crowd sang the "I'll keep digging" part when the extended jam in Stinkfist started. Even worse, I'd say 50% then sang "Until I feel something". Well, at least they know the words, but if you've seen them before, you'd know it was coming. Maynard sang the regular "Chupa, pica..." part in the middle, rather than "Suspicious Minds" or "White Lines", pushing/pulling his microphone back and forth with each word. He screamed the extended "RIGHT!" rather than just the usual "WHAT?"

Maynard before "The Pot": "I've been sick for about a week now, and I shouldn't do this next song—but I'm going to do it anyway (cheers) because if I don't, you all are going to whine and bitch like a bunch of little babies. So here's my feel better song/sauce?—spread it around"

To the left of the stage, some people were holding up a "T O O L" sign (one person with a letter) and Maynard actually pointed at it and said something. I couldn't make out what it was, though. They ended up holding that damn "sign" up the ENTIRE SHOW, only putting it down in between songs. If I were going to do that, I'd spell out "FUCK BUSH" or something more original. But hey, Maynard commented on it, so it was a success.

Jambi: Adam got the spotlight treatment for his talk box solo. Nice to see him have his moment. However, the funniest part of this (and perhaps the whole evening) was Maynard doing a hoe down/square/line/a marching we will go dance during the part during and after Adam's solo. It fit perfectly in with the beat of the song and I was laughing hysterically.

I loved the sped up middle part in Schism. However, the rest of the song was pretty "meh". I guess I've heard it too many times, although the ending shook the fucking cement floor I was standing on.

Rosetta Stoned: A really funny moment was Maynard shortening his mic stand, then squatting to sing for a minute. He stood back up, and brought the stand back up as well, but it kept swiveling around away from him. He finally got it to stay in place and made a "stay!" motion at it. Hilarious. He also walked around to the front of the stage while singing into the "megaphone", which was surprising.

WFM/10k Days: Maynard reminded me of Bob Dylan, standing behind his keyboard/synthesizer in his cowboy hat. The opening pulses of WFM got NO reaction from the crowd. I was surprised. However, they had been doodling around before, so perhaps everyone thought it was part of that. But hell, how could you NOT recognize that? I knew right when Maynard turned his keyboard towards the audience (he had been singing with it turned to the right) that it was coming. Some idiots were next to me the entire time yelling at some friend of theirs in Row Z or something. Shut up! I really hope, and this is a weird hope, that WFM/10k is exclusive to this tour only and turns into a "Third Eye" type of HOLY SHIT special song in the future. The fucking fair weather MTV crowd fans don't respect it, thus they don't deserve it. Although during the last 5 minutes of 10k Days people started to get into it. I guess the band finally got their attention.

I'd like to know the meaning behind the "pow wow" break, as they've done it at every show, even back on the mini tour. I guess I'm just used to bands leaving the stage for 5 minutes. Another weird (but funny) thing was that both Justin and Adam's guitar techs would come out from time to time to help change guitars/pedals, and they were wearing white lab coats. Guitar doctors, I guess.

Maynard after Lateralus: Thank you, goodnight! (crowd cheers, I'm laughing my ass off because I know it's not over)

(10 seconds later): Just kidding, there's two more, sit down.

(more cheers)

(10 seconds later): Just kidding, goodnight!

(boos)

Maynard's voice cracked at the end of Vicarious, so he didn't sing the last line ("Much better you than I"). He also didn't sing the "La la lala la la la-lie" part either. So what, though. It kicked 10 kinds of ass.

Maynard: "OK, you can all go fuck off now." And he goes right into…..

Ænema: This got the biggest reaction of the night, and almost EVERYONE was singing along. It was amazing to see. I don't know if it's because everyone knew it was the last song or what, but the crowd (including the seats) were really into it. I think Maynard substituted Rupert Murdoch's name for L. Ron Hubbard's, but I'm not sure. He sang the entire lyrics though, and didn't repeat the one "Junkies" line over and over like at past shows.

They had their curtain call, with Danny tossing some drumsticks and heads into the crowd (he threw a drum head at Adam, that made me laugh). Maynard tossed some water bottles into the center, and quickly walked off. Danny, Adam, and Justin stayed behind for another minute or so and clapped (towards us), and that was it. They finished at about 11:05, so they played almost 2 hours, and it flew by like THAT.

I speed walk to my car, and get all the way to the exit of the parking area, and traffic northbound is jammed. So, I drive OVER the median, lawn, curbs, and into the street, make a U-Turn, and speed off onto I-35. Fuck waiting.

I thought it was a fantastic show, and wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone, anytime, anywhere, any price. My only wish was that Maynard could have talked more, but perhaps he was trying to rest his voice due to being sick. Oh, and no “Right in Two”, but oh well. Hopefully they'll come back in a year or so with a set list that is broader with stuff from Opiate and Undertow. Oh, and this is also (and this happens each time I see them) the LOUDEST concert I've ever been to. Not necessarily on music (obviously someone like Slayer would be heavier), but very heavy on the volume. Oh, and Danny Carey is easily the best drummer EVER! EVER!

I’ve seen them three times now, both “Lateralus” shows at Kemper, and now this one. What I’ve noticed at each “first” show is how much of the crowd seems to be there because Tool is popular. The second show still had some knuckleheads, but there seemed to be more true fans, if that makes sense. I have a feeling that’s what Tool believes as well. The first Lateralus show was the same setlist every night, while the second time around they changed it up quite a bit. Perhaps this show was for everyone, and the next time it will be for the true fans. After all, not too many MTV kids will pay $60+ twice.

But to sum it all up, FUCKING A!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #61
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phnx View Post
As Mad props to the people with the TOOL sign. I loved seeing one hand holding a letter, and the other hand holding a lighter.. ;p )
That was us!!! We had the signs! I'm still trying to find out what maynard said about us!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #62

Haha. I couldn't understand what he said either, but it looked like he was approving anyway.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 06:06 PM   #63
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus View Post
That was us!!! We had the signs! I'm still trying to find out what maynard said about us!!!
Awesome, awesome, awesome. I totally missed Maynard even pointing you out, so I can't help you out there. I was probably wiping the tears out of my eyes for the umpteenth time that night. Glad to see that you guys came down from St. Louis for the show. Hopefully Tool will do another leg and hit St. Louis that time around. If they do I'll be sure to come up and bring a TOOL sign of my own. Maybe Tool'll be cool and hit both StL and KC on the second leg?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #64
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by losdiablos View Post
First time at a KC show...big ups to everyone I came in contact with as I met some really good people. Everyone around me (Sec 111 Row L) danced their asses off...glad I was in good company.
Hey, wow. You're the closest to where I was that I've found here. I was in 111 as well. Row E, seat 14 (aisle seat on the end away from the stage)

How well did you like your seats? I was thrilled with mine (Especially when I realized it was on the aisle). My only hesitant thought was that if I was a few rows back I would been able to see the stage projections better. What'd your angle look like?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #65
Level 1 - Lurker

Well, we'll be there next time no matter where they're at...kc or stl...or both! And definitely have new signs too! Glad to see everybody appreciated them!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 08:11 PM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 8th TOOL show......freaking amazing. Drove from Denver on Friday to see them. And have got to say it was worth the miles, and even the drive through Kansas. The crowd in Kansas City was so much more into the show and the whole concert experiance than the crowd in Denver. My husband and I thougt KC was awesome, and would come back any time to see TOOL, and just to check out the city more. The set list was a dream come true. The crowd on the floor up front was OK, but who are the fuck-tards that think forming a pit and smacking into people is a way to culminate a TOOL show??? Assholes.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:46 PM   #67
Level 3 - Talker

as i reflect as to what i said. I will still hold strong that this wasn't the best tool show i had seen. I was let down. It weird. I knew every song at this show and every word. And when i went to my first show i didn't know a single song! maybe 46&2 if i can recall. My friend who lived down the street wanted me to listen. I don't recall what age i was but he was around 19 or so. So i listen to a few songs but didn't really get to me that much. A few days go by. He asks if i want to go see them live. My first tool show was my first concert. wow...i have to say it was the best show ever. didn't know any song nor lyric. this show a few days ago didn't even compare.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:47 PM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

I think this was my thousandth Tool experience. Isis was a fine band--so fine that maybe they should headline next time. Screamo-core--a new futile, marketable music genre. Someone tell Adam and Danny to put on a damn pair of shoes next time--or get some Birkenstocks maybe. It is sad that MJK does not know which state KC is in. The band's intimate show in May (actually in KS) was superior in sound and set list quality. The set list is stale, ironically, with newer, popular songs. They need to scatch the following: "Schism," "Rosetta Stoned." The band should incorporate older, better songs like "Opiate," "Eulogy," "Hooker with a Penis." It is embarassing to watch "Rosetta" live--vocals are inscrutable save for a few lines, and the guitar's untamed. Scratch "10,000 Days" please too.
Sound was better than average but still could have been more refined, etc.
MJK's vocals, when one could make them out, were fine. On one or two songs he would decide to skip out on a key line. For instance, he did not sing "Try and read between the lines" during "Aenima." Also, during the climax of "Vicarious" he neglected part of the key closing line--"much better you than I." These lines are important. Why did not KC get a buff, steroid man in a tutu? Adam only made a few errors--"Lateralus" opening riff was a little hammered. Get one of the fifty Isis guitarists for help on such matters.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 10:50 PM   #69
Level 3 - Talker

amazing show.....that's all i can say........i couldn't help but smile the entire time! Hell I'm still smiling...and haven't listened to anything but tool since the concert!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #70
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

I loved seeing the band members interact with one another - something which was absent from the Memorial Hall show in may. The best was at the end, Maynard gets off his platform and approaches each member one at a time, holds out his hands and does the little "finger wiggle" thing to each of them.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:42 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabola7001 View Post
as i reflect as to what i said. I will still hold strong that this wasn't the best tool show i had seen. I was let down. It weird. I knew every song at this show and every word. And when i went to my first show i didn't know a single song! maybe 46&2 if i can recall. My friend who lived down the street wanted me to listen. I don't recall what age i was but he was around 19 or so. So i listen to a few songs but didn't really get to me that much. A few days go by. He asks if i want to go see them live. My first tool show was my first concert. wow...i have to say it was the best show ever. didn't know any song nor lyric. this show a few days ago didn't even compare.
That is such a shame. You have somehow allowed yourself to become burned out on TOOL live. I cannot possibly fathom that happening. Sucks being you. I wouldn't attend any more shows if I came away disappointed in a show with as much energy as there was in Kemper Arena that night. Wow, I just really cannot comprehend feeling that way; and I'm so glad I don't. Hope you find what you're looking for in some other band.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:53 AM   #72
Level 1 - Lurker

Unbelievable show. My first Tool concert and I was simply amazed. There were a few things that bothered me through out the show, such as the Jumbo Tron not working for the video and the damn security guards and shining their flashlights into the crowd during Vicarious. Great show, great crowd, TRAFFIC SUCKED!

"Kansas was louder..." :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 06:16 AM   #73
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Yeah, kansas might have ben louder, thats the problem, the crowd was so drunk and loud you could hardly hear maynard. I just wish that everybody would have sat down and just listened to the music. It was my first tool concer, kick ass, would have been better if we all could actually hear and understand maynard's message.....live. All in all kick ass lighting, stage, lasers, all a kick ass set up.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 07:12 AM   #74
Level 1 - Lurker

I thought the KC was ok... I wish Maynard would've talked to us more. I wanted him to follow up saying 'Kansas Fucking City"... We're Back!"

But all we got was that he wasn't suppose to sing this song...C'mon Maynard... talk to us man!! Give us something that makes our KC concert unique from all the others.

The laserlights were cool, but the half screens SUCKED!!! I LOVE THE VIDEOS! don't hide them behind the band!!!

This was my 7th Tool Concert and it ranks last at number 7.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 07:28 AM   #75
Level 7 - Loquacious

fucking.....WOW.

this was my first tool show ever. i'm sitting in chicago now...awaiting my second. haha.

KC was fucking unbelievable. to all those people who BITCHED about ANYTHING to do with this tour (other than perhaps the san antonio people, but not really them either) need to just find a new perspective on life. you are a fucking BRAT....and you have much to learn if you ever hope to lead a happy and fulfilling life.

i've been to TONS of shows of all different genres/sizes, and this was far and away the most amazing musical perfomance i've EVER seen. THANK YOU to the guys in tool. you really made my decade. haha.

TO THE PEOPLE WITH THE 'TOOL SIGN': maynard said "you spelled it wrong". ;)

the lasers/lights? fucking AMAZING. whoever was saying the 'christmas lights' were hokey...you're a fucking IDIOT. in case you didn't notice....there were patterns moving around the lights. to say they "flicker" is an understatement. pay attention....it's almost as if they lights are "continuing" what is going on the visual screens. amazing.

lasers...amazing. i got the sense they chose this to kind of go along with the 3d theme of the album art work. the lasers, being what they are, create a seemingly tangible link between the WHOLE crowd (even the very back row) and the stage/band. and....i've seen ALOT of laser displays....and that was again...the best.

phenomenal show. still can't get over it.

also...i want to say again: i've been to many many shows, big and small, in many different cities...and all things considered, that was one of the BEST audiences i've ever seen a show with. little to no moshing, everyone on the floor was pretty repspectful. i was wearing a dark navy blue shirt...and was with a guy who had the blueish alex grey shirt (with the painting covering the whole thing).

the lighters at the beginning were a phenomenal way to welcome the band. and the lighters at the end....whoever described it as some sort of pagan temple..you NAILED IT. haha. i was thinking the same thing....but with EWOKS. heh.

what little i could see of the visuals were phenomenal.

so, THANK YOU TOOL, AND THANK YOU KANSAS CITY. :) truly one of the finest nights in my twenty five years on earth.

to all you "haters" (fuck...i HATE that term, lol): you need to fucking wake up, and smell the roses as it were. you're MISSING a phenomal thing...because you're too concerned with...well, i don't know what. appreciate what's HERE, and NOW. sounds cheesy....but it's good advice none the less. go fucking listen to parabol/parabola. ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 08:47 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusense View Post
fucking.....WOW.

this was my first tool show ever. i'm sitting in chicago now...awaiting my second. haha.

KC was fucking unbelievable. to all those people who BITCHED about ANYTHING to do with this tour (other than perhaps the san antonio people, but not really them either) need to just find a new perspective on life. you are a fucking BRAT....and you have much to learn if you ever hope to lead a happy and fulfilling life.

i've been to TONS of shows of all different genres/sizes, and this was far and away the most amazing musical perfomance i've EVER seen. THANK YOU to the guys in tool. you really made my decade. haha.

TO THE PEOPLE WITH THE 'TOOL SIGN': maynard said "you spelled it wrong". ;)

the lasers/lights? fucking AMAZING. whoever was saying the 'christmas lights' were hokey...you're a fucking IDIOT. in case you didn't notice....there were patterns moving around the lights. to say they "flicker" is an understatement. pay attention....it's almost as if they lights are "continuing" what is going on the visual screens. amazing.

lasers...amazing. i got the sense they chose this to kind of go along with the 3d theme of the album art work. the lasers, being what they are, create a seemingly tangible link between the WHOLE crowd (even the very back row) and the stage/band. and....i've seen ALOT of laser displays....and that was again...the best.

phenomenal show. still can't get over it.

also...i want to say again: i've been to many many shows, big and small, in many different cities...and all things considered, that was one of the BEST audiences i've ever seen a show with. little to no moshing, everyone on the floor was pretty repspectful. i was wearing a dark navy blue shirt...and was with a guy who had the blueish alex grey shirt (with the painting covering the whole thing).

the lighters at the beginning were a phenomenal way to welcome the band. and the lighters at the end....whoever described it as some sort of pagan temple..you NAILED IT. haha. i was thinking the same thing....but with EWOKS. heh.

what little i could see of the visuals were phenomenal.

so, THANK YOU TOOL, AND THANK YOU KANSAS CITY. :) truly one of the finest nights in my twenty five years on earth.

to all you "haters" (fuck...i HATE that term, lol): you need to fucking wake up, and smell the roses as it were. you're MISSING a phenomal thing...because you're too concerned with...well, i don't know what. appreciate what's HERE, and NOW. sounds cheesy....but it's good advice none the less. go fucking listen to parabol/parabola. ;)
Amen brother!! So well said. Brats, that's the word I was trying to think of. Way to nail it!! I, too, have been to MANY shows spanning nearly 30 years and there just is nothing on earth that exists like this. Wake up, brats. Or go get well first and then come back in 2011 repenting.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #77
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow... still absorbing what I saw... Incredible. By the way - the fireworks were for a hispanic festival thing in and around Southwest Blvd - not for Tool. :( Just a great coincidence.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #78
Level 3 - Talker

by all means i didn't burn myself out. But just my idea was it was going to be better. But it was pretty much the same. I don't think ill ever be burnt out as even the first tool show i saw wasn't the best.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #79
Level 1 - Lurker

Kemper Arean holds alot more people than Target Center, of course they are going to be louder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey6719 View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another maynardism:

-everyone screams, but it wasnt too energetic (I wanna say after 10k days, but I'm not sure)

-Maynard "I didn't say louder was a good thing, just they were louder"

Louder IS better, just didnt want to piss off those dumbasses!! haha
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #80
Level 1 - Lurker

Nusense!!! "My first tool show"... give me a break you rookie!!!

I've been watching Tool live since 94'... and to watch go through changes. GOD I WISH YOU COULD'VE SEEN WHAT THEY USED TO BE LIKE!!!!!!

How can you make a comment like that right after you said it is your first show?!?!
You probably have new tattoos and a sweet beastie-t!!!

you have no room to talk if it was your first show... and definitely no room to call someone a crybaby for critiquing the show!!!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: