Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Jungmamr's Avatar Jungmamr
09-18-2007, 06:04 PM

http://mixonline.com/recording/proje...ng_tools_days/

It's a good read, definitely worth the time.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10
10,000 Days Recording Techniques

http://mixonline.com/recording/proje...ng_tools_days/

It's a good read, definitely worth the time.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Carny_Handles's Avatar Carny_Handles
09-18-2007, 06:18 PM

damn good read, especially if you're into recording and know what the hell he's talking about.

this quote sounds interesting: "And with 96k, 24-bit masters, we're ready for any kind of high-resolution digital projects."
Old 09-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695
Re: 10,000 Days Recording Techniques

damn good read, especially if you're into recording and know what the hell he's talking about.

this quote sounds interesting: "And with 96k, 24-bit masters, we're ready for any kind of high-resolution digital projects."
09-18-2007, 07:17 PM

Hmmm, don't believe I've seen this. Sike.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

plexus's Avatar plexus
09-18-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headphuq View Post
woah. bringing back the sike.
brutal.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headphuq View Post
brutal.
Headphuq's Avatar Headphuq
09-19-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
brutal.
Thought you all might like that.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
brutal.
Thought you all might like that.
Jungmamr's Avatar Jungmamr
09-19-2007, 05:31 AM

can anyone explain the part about maynards vocals, on how they are distorting it with a sm57?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

can anyone explain the part about maynards vocals, on how they are distorting it with a sm57?
P-Toes's Avatar P-Toes
09-19-2007, 09:32 AM

Actually SM57's aren't uncommon for vocals. For example, Anthony Kiedis has always done all his vocals through a 57. My guess about using the 57 for Maynard is that the output from the megaphone is probably pretty loud to get that distorted blaring sound. Since 57's are dynamic mics they can handle a lot hotter signal without blowing the diaphragm. It also provides a little natural compression since the transients on a 57 are going to be less pronounced than with a condenser or a ribbon mic. That could help the distorted vocals sit a little better in the mix without having to process them much.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Actually SM57's aren't uncommon for vocals. For example, Anthony Kiedis has always done all his vocals through a 57. My guess about using the 57 for Maynard is that the output from the megaphone is probably pretty loud to get that distorted blaring sound. Since 57's are dynamic mics they can handle a lot hotter signal without blowing the diaphragm. It also provides a little natural compression since the transients on a 57 are going to be less pronounced than with a condenser or a ribbon mic. That could help the distorted vocals sit a little better in the mix without having to process them much.
09-19-2007, 04:05 PM

hmmm interesting. i thikn i am going to pick up a 57, they seem like awesome universal do it all mics.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

hmmm interesting. i thikn i am going to pick up a 57, they seem like awesome universal do it all mics.
Eulogy33's Avatar Eulogy33
09-19-2007, 05:09 PM

yes, interesting.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

yes, interesting.
09-20-2007, 05:24 AM

I've got 3 sm57's and wouldn't mind having more. I don't use them on vocals though, you'd be better off getting a sm58 if you will use it mainly for vocals, because it's the same thing as a 57 just with the built in pop filter. The 58's are great for metal vox, imo. Sm57's are all I usually use when recording metal guitars, snares and high toms.

Edit: Coincidentally I was in another forum and someone had started a thread on this same article. Some linked this picture of maynard to see if anyone knew what mic he was using live. Someone said it was this mic. Looks like it too me, and its only $200.

Last edited by futant55; 09-20-2007 at 11:17 AM..
Old 09-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 567

I've got 3 sm57's and wouldn't mind having more. I don't use them on vocals though, you'd be better off getting a sm58 if you will use it mainly for vocals, because it's the same thing as a 57 just with the built in pop filter. The 58's are great for metal vox, imo. Sm57's are all I usually use when recording metal guitars, snares and high toms.

Edit: Coincidentally I was in another forum and someone had started a thread on this same article. Some linked this picture of maynard to see if anyone knew what mic he was using live. Someone said it was this mic. Looks like it too me, and its only $200.

Last edited by futant55; 09-20-2007 at 11:17 AM..
sui_city
09-25-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Toes View Post
Kiedis does not use SM57s. His most common mic for recording has been the SM7B.

Almost any mic can be over-driven by pushing it hard in the performance. However, this is unlikely to be done for an extended period of time. What is more likely done is an over-driving of the preamp, i.e. the input gain on the pre is set very high, with the output turned down so that it does not overload the recorder.

The SM57 also has a bump in the mid-range, a bit honky sometimes. That characteristic can help with driving the distortion in the pre because of the mic's emphasis being directly in the area of the human voice.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:20 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Toes View Post

Almost any mic can be over-driven by pushing it hard in the performance. However, this is unlikely to be done for an extended period of time. What is more likely done is an over-driving of the preamp, i.e. the input gain on the pre is set very high, with the output turned down so that it does not overload the recorder.

The SM57 also has a bump in the mid-range, a bit honky sometimes. That characteristic can help with driving the distortion in the pre because of the mic's emphasis being directly in the area of the human voice.
shifty50fs
09-28-2007, 09:12 AM

Am I the only one who is totally jealous of Adam? He has the luxury of playing once and getting like 6 different tracks to play with. What a life.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #12
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Am I the only one who is totally jealous of Adam? He has the luxury of playing once and getting like 6 different tracks to play with. What a life.
P-Toes's Avatar P-Toes
09-28-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sui_city View Post

Jim Scott, who produced Californication, said in an interview that Kiedis always used an SM57 for his vocal. So that's where I got that from. But it doesn't really matter to me either way.

I agree with you about getting distortion by overdriving the preamp. I was just trying to point out that because a 57 can handle a very hot signal it could handle the blaring and distortion of a loud megaphone if that's how they chose to do it.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sui_city View Post

Jim Scott, who produced Californication, said in an interview that Kiedis always used an SM57 for his vocal. So that's where I got that from. But it doesn't really matter to me either way.

I agree with you about getting distortion by overdriving the preamp. I was just trying to point out that because a 57 can handle a very hot signal it could handle the blaring and distortion of a loud megaphone if that's how they chose to do it.
09-29-2007, 02:30 AM

they're both a bit lame really....mind you i sont much like beanies....especially band ones.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:30 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 23

they're both a bit lame really....mind you i sont much like beanies....especially band ones.
10-10-2007, 11:29 AM

"I would have him sing into his main mic and a highly distorted SM57 at the same time — a tape-them-together kind of deal — and then run them in a parallel chain so I could separate them and track them to two tracks. Then I could add any kind of gain that I wanted by bringing up the 57.”

That reads to me that he processed the SM57 with distortion, and used it as a distorted underbed for the main microphone.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16

"I would have him sing into his main mic and a highly distorted SM57 at the same time — a tape-them-together kind of deal — and then run them in a parallel chain so I could separate them and track them to two tracks. Then I could add any kind of gain that I wanted by bringing up the 57.”

That reads to me that he processed the SM57 with distortion, and used it as a distorted underbed for the main microphone.
10-11-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
SM57s are instrument mics, not vocal mics, so I would assume the difference in frequency pickup would add some distortion...

nah dude, there's no distortion on SM57. They're just saying they put the really really good mic in front of him for clean vocals and ran the studio standard sm57 to a channel with distortion on it.

and mics that are usually used for vocals are tube condensors (I didn't make that up did I?) and large diaphragm condensors. Anthony Kefoeshffhdsis probably sings through an SM57 live, they're very durable and are good at representing sounds, so they're ideal for live performance. But they'r enot used in the studio because condensors have a much fatter sound - probably something to do with that mid peak thing someone was talking about in the SM57 frequency response

Last edited by Aenima7988; 10-11-2007 at 02:26 PM..
Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #16
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
SM57s are instrument mics, not vocal mics, so I would assume the difference in frequency pickup would add some distortion...

nah dude, there's no distortion on SM57. They're just saying they put the really really good mic in front of him for clean vocals and ran the studio standard sm57 to a channel with distortion on it.

and mics that are usually used for vocals are tube condensors (I didn't make that up did I?) and large diaphragm condensors. Anthony Kefoeshffhdsis probably sings through an SM57 live, they're very durable and are good at representing sounds, so they're ideal for live performance. But they'r enot used in the studio because condensors have a much fatter sound - probably something to do with that mid peak thing someone was talking about in the SM57 frequency response

Last edited by Aenima7988; 10-11-2007 at 02:26 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply