Password
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
05-05-2006, 05:15 PM

I will think for myself
I will question authority
I will strive to be unique and different
I will not repeat what other people say

and most importantly...

I will not give this album any more credit than it deserves. It's an excellent B-sides record. The quality of the songs themselves are arguable, but the shitty production is not. Wake up. This is not a Tool masterpiece. The band could put out an hour of them farting with a phaser on it and you guys would call it Genius! Epic! Their best work to date! Give me a break... have you guys even listened to the second half of the album?
Old 05-05-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472
Non-conformist oath

I will think for myself

and most importantly...

I will not give this album any more credit than it deserves. It's an excellent B-sides record. The quality of the songs themselves are arguable, but the shitty production is not. Wake up. This is not a Tool masterpiece. The band could put out an hour of them farting with a phaser on it and you guys would call it Genius! Epic! Their best work to date! Give me a break... have you guys even listened to the second half of the album?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Caley
05-05-2006, 05:21 PM

I'm getting sick of this. Some people like this album as someting more than a "b-side" album. why does that get under your skin so much? Personally I don't care what you think of it, but don't imply that people are conformists because they like it more than you. Grow up.

Sure, i'll think for myself - I won't have you do that for me.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Non-conformist oath

I'm getting sick of this. Some people like this album as someting more than a "b-side" album. why does that get under your skin so much? Personally I don't care what you think of it, but don't imply that people are conformists because they like it more than you. Grow up.

05-05-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance.
The band could put out an hour of them farting with a phaser on it and you guys would call it Genius! Epic! Their best work to date!
da truf.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
On Probation

Bincount™: 810

Quote:
The band could put out an hour of them farting with a phaser on it and you guys would call it Genius! Epic! Their best work to date!
da truf.
Randall's Avatar Randall
05-05-2006, 05:23 PM

All i can say is first and second lines of what you said, We will question your authority, and think for ouselves.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

All i can say is first and second lines of what you said, We will question your authority, and think for ouselves.
05-05-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall
As long as you don't ignore the obvious... like the clipping, white noise, FOOL logo... ect...
Old 05-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #5
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall
As long as you don't ignore the obvious... like the clipping, white noise, FOOL logo... ect...
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
05-05-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caley

*standing ovation*
Old 05-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caley

*standing ovation*
2and46's Avatar 2and46
05-05-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I will think for myself

and most importantly...

Sorry the album didn't fit you're closed paradigm. What music/album in the past year would you consider superior to this album? Do you have to check you're vote count for American Idol? You will give me some obscure example of this or that band that has surpassed TOOL on the landscape, but you will be wrong. The fact that I'm working on my PhD. should be proof enough that I think for myself, I don't need another whiny, antagonist to prove me wrong. 10,000 days IS a masterpiece. Too bad you're so frustrated and immature to see that. I feel sorry for you.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:
I will think for myself

and most importantly...

Sorry the album didn't fit you're closed paradigm. What music/album in the past year would you consider superior to this album? Do you have to check you're vote count for American Idol? You will give me some obscure example of this or that band that has surpassed TOOL on the landscape, but you will be wrong. The fact that I'm working on my PhD. should be proof enough that I think for myself, I don't need another whiny, antagonist to prove me wrong. 10,000 days IS a masterpiece. Too bad you're so frustrated and immature to see that. I feel sorry for you.
05-05-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
Thanks for listening.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Thanks for listening.
Cynical/Sarcastic
05-05-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I will think for myself

and most importantly...

My own creed:
I will accept and respect other opinions as they come my way. However, I will not allow your negative views, or anyone else's, to affect my enjoyment of 10,000 Days. I will listen to the album when it comes and keep my opinions to myself.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 66

Quote:
I will think for myself

and most importantly...

My own creed:
I will accept and respect other opinions as they come my way. However, I will not allow your negative views, or anyone else's, to affect my enjoyment of 10,000 Days. I will listen to the album when it comes and keep my opinions to myself.
05-05-2006, 05:58 PM

Again.... I'm not talking about the songs themselves, I'm talking about the blatent shitty production that people keep ignoring. All songwriting/flow aside.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
amateur alchemist

Again.... I'm not talking about the songs themselves, I'm talking about the blatent shitty production that people keep ignoring. All songwriting/flow aside.
Descencia's Avatar Descencia
05-05-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Working on a PhD has nothing to do with thinking for yourself. You're just following a curriculum assembled from other materials from research and authorship. "Think for yourself, question authority" means to always be skeptical and only listen to yourself in the long run. To not accept a monolithic power structure as being right or just. Being dignified and believing in yourself even if it means your life. To never conform to anything someone else has said, or that you should do. It's great that you are getting an education but that's not what the quote or credo means.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

Quote:
Working on a PhD has nothing to do with thinking for yourself. You're just following a curriculum assembled from other materials from research and authorship. "Think for yourself, question authority" means to always be skeptical and only listen to yourself in the long run. To not accept a monolithic power structure as being right or just. Being dignified and believing in yourself even if it means your life. To never conform to anything someone else has said, or that you should do. It's great that you are getting an education but that's not what the quote or credo means.
Myramyd
05-05-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Amen resonance.

I've been away a few days--glad to see you are keeping the fire of truth going!

Amazing what passes for a gin-u-wine Tool album these days.

The amount of clipping had to of been intentional, I can't imagine anyone letting that pass them by. Let alone Bob Ludwig!?!? The man is THE guy who masters EVERYTHING. I guess he shut off his analyzation equipment that day. It doesn't add up.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Amen resonance.

I've been away a few days--glad to see you are keeping the fire of truth going!

Amazing what passes for a gin-u-wine Tool album these days.

The amount of clipping had to of been intentional, I can't imagine anyone letting that pass them by. Let alone Bob Ludwig!?!? The man is THE guy who masters EVERYTHING. I guess he shut off his analyzation equipment that day. It doesn't add up.
05-05-2006, 06:21 PM

clipping? where? specifics please.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

05-05-2006, 06:22 PM

isn't it a bit contradictory to swear an oath vowing not to conform?
Old 05-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Location: Not sure which is more dangerous, Iraq or college in Boston

isn't it a bit contradictory to swear an oath vowing not to conform?
05-05-2006, 06:22 PM

Why does it have to be one or the other? There are an infinite number of feelings and attitudes people can have toward this album. Language hinders us from explaining what we truely feel and this problem is exacerbated by the internet forum format.

I think anyone who has been listening to tool for a while will like this album, and that is all that matters. That you like it....not to what degree you like it etc

that's a vague enough term to work i guess.
"Why does God not blot out the sun?"

www.fozlur.com
Old 05-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Why does it have to be one or the other? There are an infinite number of feelings and attitudes people can have toward this album. Language hinders us from explaining what we truely feel and this problem is exacerbated by the internet forum format.

I think anyone who has been listening to tool for a while will like this album, and that is all that matters. That you like it....not to what degree you like it etc

that's a vague enough term to work i guess.
"Why does God not blot out the sun?"

www.fozlur.com
05-05-2006, 06:23 PM

See this thread for details:

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=46003
Old 05-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #16
amateur alchemist

Vaginal Replicator
05-05-2006, 06:24 PM

I got one thing to say: Who are you to constitute to us what we should and should like. Fuck you buddy, what the fuck do you care if people think this album's a masterpiece? I'll tell you one thing, i'm tired of the pretentious bullshit of Lateralus, and this album is much more straight forward, and certainly more interesting in my own opinion. Is it a masterpiece? I don't know, but I know that I don't need YOUR authority to know that I like a fucking album.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #17
Banned.

Bincount™: 1

I got one thing to say: Who are you to constitute to us what we should and should like. Fuck you buddy, what the fuck do you care if people think this album's a masterpiece? I'll tell you one thing, i'm tired of the pretentious bullshit of Lateralus, and this album is much more straight forward, and certainly more interesting in my own opinion. Is it a masterpiece? I don't know, but I know that I don't need YOUR authority to know that I like a fucking album.
2and46's Avatar 2and46
05-05-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descencia
You know nothing about me or what I believe. Everything you just stated should just be assumed about me. The thread starter is just trying to ignite a reaction by saying those who like the album "do not think for themselves". This is ridiculous, and so is your lecturing to me about that point. It's obvious you're an intelligent person, so you should have known better to remind me of you're thoughts.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #18
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descencia
You know nothing about me or what I believe. Everything you just stated should just be assumed about me. The thread starter is just trying to ignite a reaction by saying those who like the album "do not think for themselves". This is ridiculous, and so is your lecturing to me about that point. It's obvious you're an intelligent person, so you should have known better to remind me of you're thoughts.
05-05-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaginal Replicator
Lateralus pretentious? Listen to Right In Two again.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:28 PM   #19
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaginal Replicator
Supergroup's Avatar Supergroup
05-05-2006, 06:29 PM

I listen to shit loads of vinyl, I am used to cracks and white noise. I think it adds to the experience. I can't get into music in HD as much as I can vinyl... it sounds too clean. Bash away at the old timer....
Old 05-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I listen to shit loads of vinyl, I am used to cracks and white noise. I think it adds to the experience. I can't get into music in HD as much as I can vinyl... it sounds too clean. Bash away at the old timer....
05-05-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergroup
the entire album, I'd really like tool to put something up on their site about it. I can't even listen to the album with headphones the way it is.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #21
KJM
MJK impostor, 2002

Bincount™: 48

Quote:
the entire album, I'd really like tool to put something up on their site about it. I can't even listen to the album with headphones the way it is.
05-05-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
lol, Ride on the Spiral, Bathe in the fountain of our divinity, still be a human?

Right.

I'm not saying it's a bad record, it's probably still my favorite, but common man.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #22
Banned.

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
lol, Ride on the Spiral, Bathe in the fountain of our divinity, still be a human?

Right.

I'm not saying it's a bad record, it's probably still my favorite, but common man.
ProdigyDub's Avatar ProdigyDub
05-05-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for listening.
Why would anybody in their right mind listen to you?
Old 05-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Thanks for listening.
Supergroup's Avatar Supergroup
05-05-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM
I have decent headphones so I don't hear what you are talking about. If it really is a problem for some people then it should be addressed.

I think it sounds great on my stereo... each time I listen to it my ears seem to delve deeper into the strange mix... unfolding itself. Strange mix indeed, but no clipping here. Maybe HD is the problem, I don't think humans were meant to hear so perfectly.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM
I have decent headphones so I don't hear what you are talking about. If it really is a problem for some people then it should be addressed.

I think it sounds great on my stereo... each time I listen to it my ears seem to delve deeper into the strange mix... unfolding itself. Strange mix indeed, but no clipping here. Maybe HD is the problem, I don't think humans were meant to hear so perfectly.
05-05-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Don't listen to me, listen to the static on the record.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #25
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Don't listen to me, listen to the static on the record.
fibonacci's Avatar fibonacci
05-05-2006, 06:46 PM

I edited this post because it was mean

Last edited by fibonacci; 05-05-2006 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: sdf
Old 05-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 94

I edited this post because it was mean

Last edited by fibonacci; 05-05-2006 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: sdf
05-05-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:

I went through all the troubleshooting... 10,000 days is the problem, or at least my copy. By the looks of it I'm not alone.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #27
amateur alchemist

Quote:

I went through all the troubleshooting... 10,000 days is the problem, or at least my copy. By the looks of it I'm not alone.
Myramyd
05-05-2006, 06:51 PM

I'll take the warm pops and clicks of vinyl over the harsh spikes of digital noise anyday.

I hear a lot of people claiming Lateralus to be pretentious. By the true definition of the word, every lyric Maynard has written could be construed as such.

I think whenever someone uses that word (especially on this board) it should be translated to "I don't understand what you're trying to tell me Maynard because it is beyond the scope of my limited thinking/vocabulary."

Now I'm not bashing anyone in particular--just food for thought. Since the lyrics Maynard USUALLY writes in regards to expanding knowledge and consciousness. So isn't calling that album or any of his lyrics "pretentious" a bit ironic?
Old 05-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'll take the warm pops and clicks of vinyl over the harsh spikes of digital noise anyday.

I hear a lot of people claiming Lateralus to be pretentious. By the true definition of the word, every lyric Maynard has written could be construed as such.

I think whenever someone uses that word (especially on this board) it should be translated to "I don't understand what you're trying to tell me Maynard because it is beyond the scope of my limited thinking/vocabulary."

Now I'm not bashing anyone in particular--just food for thought. Since the lyrics Maynard USUALLY writes in regards to expanding knowledge and consciousness. So isn't calling that album or any of his lyrics "pretentious" a bit ironic?
05-05-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I wasn't saying that I know who you are and your values are questionable, just that College education is clearly important, but it's not integral to your own self enlightenment and critical thinking. You have to adapt to what you're learning in class and ultimately accept what the subject pertains to as far as completing a degree. But your own life experiences eventually become the backbone of your intellect and your empathy towards everything else. If you follow the herd that's lacking if you don't break out of it.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

Quote:
I wasn't saying that I know who you are and your values are questionable, just that College education is clearly important, but it's not integral to your own self enlightenment and critical thinking. You have to adapt to what you're learning in class and ultimately accept what the subject pertains to as far as completing a degree. But your own life experiences eventually become the backbone of your intellect and your empathy towards everything else. If you follow the herd that's lacking if you don't break out of it.
mike09's Avatar mike09
05-05-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM
Give some examples of clippings and static on the album.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #30
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM
05-05-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike09

Old 05-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #31
amateur alchemist

Quote:

KJM
05-05-2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:

I'm serious. The entire album. If it makes it easier, off the top of my head, the beginning of Jambi (right when the guitar kicks in) and the end of vicarious have a ton of noise.

it's really ridiculous.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #32
KJM
MJK impostor, 2002

Quote:

I'm serious. The entire album. If it makes it easier, off the top of my head, the beginning of Jambi (right when the guitar kicks in) and the end of vicarious have a ton of noise.

it's really ridiculous.
05-05-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM

it's really ridiculous.
Yeah. In the begining of Jambi, after it does the inital hard shit then quiets down, Maynard's mic comes in on the first bass kick, and hisses for like 5 seconds before he starts singing.

If anything just try this to humor me:

Play Right in Two for a little while. You can hear the white noise. Without changing the volume or anything play Parabol.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #33
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM

it's really ridiculous.
Yeah. In the begining of Jambi, after it does the inital hard shit then quiets down, Maynard's mic comes in on the first bass kick, and hisses for like 5 seconds before he starts singing.

Play Right in Two for a little while. You can hear the white noise. Without changing the volume or anything play Parabol.
mike09's Avatar mike09
05-05-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I don't get why they would leave that in there.

Quote:

Not sure I really understand what you are saying here.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #34
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Quote:
I don't get why they would leave that in there.

Quote:

HalfASandwidch
05-05-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I will think for myself
Well you pretty much failed with that last line because the first line is what everyone says. And your on tdn so welcome to conformity.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

Quote:
I will think for myself
Well you pretty much failed with that last line because the first line is what everyone says. And your on tdn so welcome to conformity.
HalfASandwidch
05-05-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blend
Am I the only one who finds this hilariously ironic? And therefore, disregards the pointless jabber made in the rest of his post and then doesn't even want to waste time degrading his character and/or opinion?
Lol i beat you to it!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

Quote:
Am I the only one who finds this hilariously ironic? And therefore, disregards the pointless jabber made in the rest of his post and then doesn't even want to waste time degrading his character and/or opinion?
Lol i beat you to it!
KJM
05-05-2006, 09:36 PM

That's a joke mjk would do live.

LOL YOU GOT HIM GOOD GUYS.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #37
KJM
MJK impostor, 2002

That's a joke mjk would do live.

LOL YOU GOT HIM GOOD GUYS.
05-05-2006, 09:40 PM

Can't read.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:40 PM   #38
KJM
MJK impostor, 2002

Can't read.
05-05-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
When I heard Maynard say that live, I watched as the massive crowd of people around me followed his every word. You can interpret it however you want to, but this whole thing just reminded me of that. Blind faith.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #39
amateur alchemist

Quote:
When I heard Maynard say that live, I watched as the massive crowd of people around me followed his every word. You can interpret it however you want to, but this whole thing just reminded me of that. Blind faith.
05-05-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
---
Just play the begining of one right after the other and listen for the white noise. The hiss. You may not be able to hear it unless it's moderatly loud or with headphones. The hiss is going to be there on every recording of a live instrument, but the difference is dramtic. You can tell in Parabol that there was at least an attempt made to cover it up.

Whatever, it's just an example... there are plenty of them.

Last edited by resonance.; 05-05-2006 at 10:16 PM..
Old 05-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #40
amateur alchemist

Quote:
---
Just play the begining of one right after the other and listen for the white noise. The hiss. You may not be able to hear it unless it's moderatly loud or with headphones. The hiss is going to be there on every recording of a live instrument, but the difference is dramtic. You can tell in Parabol that there was at least an attempt made to cover it up.

Whatever, it's just an example... there are plenty of them.

Last edited by resonance.; 05-05-2006 at 10:16 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply