Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 02. Jambi
User Name
Password
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-24-2006, 04:22 PM

I saw there was a tthread about Floyd influence on here the other day about this song, so I suppose that's already been discussed. So you have 3 elements - that bass line, Maynard's reference to "The Dark Side", and the talk box. I guess this has to be Floyd influenced.

It takes a while to gel together, it's really proggie, and there are some rather harsh transitions. But believe me after about 25 listens it all starts to come together. It's "Mystical Metal" lol. Tool has invented a new style of music. One of their better songs imo. And that solo is just shit dislodging... Adam sounds like a man on that one. Sounds like he sprouted some hair on his chest.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #41
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61
Re: Who doesn't love this song?

I saw there was a tthread about Floyd influence on here the other day about this song, so I suppose that's already been discussed. So you have 3 elements - that bass line, Maynard's reference to "The Dark Side", and the talk box. I guess this has to be Floyd influenced.

It takes a while to gel together, it's really proggie, and there are some rather harsh transitions. But believe me after about 25 listens it all starts to come together. It's "Mystical Metal" lol. Tool has invented a new style of music. One of their better songs imo. And that solo is just shit dislodging... Adam sounds like a man on that one. Sounds like he sprouted some hair on his chest.
05-16-2006, 03:30 PM

*raises hand*

I think the vocal melody and pitch of his voice do not compliment the song for 60% or so of it. There are parts more towards the middle and end where he catches on. Sometimes having a harder song and using high/soft vocals as a contrast works....I don't think this was one of those times. There are so many gaps that are just begging for vocals to fill some of them.

Also, the lyrics (more often than not) are predictable rhymes that remind me of a cat in the hat book or a love poem someone would write around the age of 10. Maybe that was the intention? I dunno. I just think he should've sat on this one longer.

Maybe this is what he was going for though. If so, it's just not my bag..and that's ok.

The music = a bad ass mofo, however.

Last edited by SynapticSatisfaction; 05-17-2006 at 09:31 AM..
Old 05-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #42
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

*raises hand*

I think the vocal melody and pitch of his voice do not compliment the song for 60% or so of it. There are parts more towards the middle and end where he catches on. Sometimes having a harder song and using high/soft vocals as a contrast works....I don't think this was one of those times. There are so many gaps that are just begging for vocals to fill some of them.

Also, the lyrics (more often than not) are predictable rhymes that remind me of a cat in the hat book or a love poem someone would write around the age of 10. Maybe that was the intention? I dunno. I just think he should've sat on this one longer.

Maybe this is what he was going for though. If so, it's just not my bag..and that's ok.

The music = a bad ass mofo, however.

Last edited by SynapticSatisfaction; 05-17-2006 at 09:31 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
scorpioali
05-16-2006, 03:56 PM

While I like it, I have a friend who is another Tool fan who doesn't because of the so-called "metal gallop" right at the beginning. He also does a really funny, but inaccurate impression of it, air guitar and all.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #43
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

While I like it, I have a friend who is another Tool fan who doesn't because of the so-called "metal gallop" right at the beginning. He also does a really funny, but inaccurate impression of it, air guitar and all.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply