opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Upcoming and Unreleased
User Name
Password
Old 12-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Live Video Projections

Hi,

I've seen Tool live a few times this past year. I'm interested in developing video content for projection, and from what I've seen, Tool is using this as well or better than anyone else I've seen.

I wondered if anyone here might have any information, or could point me to resources about the hardware technology involved. The only info the 'guy' in the 'booth' seemed able to provide was that they are using rear-projection. Is the video triggered via midi? Do they use a master controller or stacked dvd? Maybe a proprietary box and mixer?

What really impressed me about thier last performance (which I somehow failed to notice previously) was that there seemed to be absolutely NO latency between some of the percussion hits and the video cues. Maybe one of the Mandalas is set up to trigger video? Or could it be linked to a spectrum analyser? Anybody know?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Re: Live Video Projections

I ber they are using a midi controller to change the video. Just like the lights of bands like Phish (I'm sure you all hate Phish here but its a good example) are really accurate with changes in the music because they have a relaly good lighting director with good rythm. I am sure tool is the same. Just like Adam has to hit that chord the same time as Danny hits the snare.... the guy doing projections has to hit that midi key at the same time.... but i really don't know, this is just how people do video for some more local bands I have seen.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

i was thinking they rehearsed the songs well enough they could just use preprogrammed lighting for each song so they can do different sets now and then. most of their shows have been pretty close time-wise, im sure they tweak the lights from time to time though cause Trey Gunn was saying how they looked better recently.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidabyss View Post
i was thinking they rehearsed the songs well enough they could just use preprogrammed lighting for each song so they can do different sets now and then. most of their shows have been pretty close time-wise, im sure they tweak the lights from time to time though cause Trey Gunn was saying how they looked better recently.
No. They have the videos trigged to what they play, there is an interview somewhere I'm sure if you search the forum you can find it but it talks about it, they used to do preprogrammed stuff but not anymore
Old 12-13-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

guess preprogrammed stuff was on the aenima-tour....think stevejols is right! also read that interview but don`t know, where it was...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishspinner View Post
Hi,

I've seen Tool live a few times this past year. I'm interested in developing video content for projection, and from what I've seen, Tool is using this as well or better than anyone else I've seen.

I wondered if anyone here might have any information, or could point me to resources about the hardware technology involved. The only info the 'guy' in the 'booth' seemed able to provide was that they are using rear-projection. Is the video triggered via midi? Do they use a master controller or stacked dvd? Maybe a proprietary box and mixer?

What really impressed me about thier last performance (which I somehow failed to notice previously) was that there seemed to be absolutely NO latency between some of the percussion hits and the video cues. Maybe one of the Mandalas is set up to trigger video? Or could it be linked to a spectrum analyser? Anybody know?
Theres this article here, which may satiate your curiosity
http://livedesignonline.com/concerts/tool_time/

Though it doesn't mention Dannys mandalas, it would be silly if they didn't use them to trigger stage effects.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 17

Thanks a lot for posting that link man!
Old 12-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

fyi chet zar sells a dvd with quite a lot of the aenima/lateralus tour 3d animation loops he made for those shows.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:33 AM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Theres this article here, which may satiate your curiosity
http://livedesignonline.com/concerts/tool_time/

Though it doesn't mention Dannys mandalas, it would be silly if they didn't use them to trigger stage effects.
Danny's mandalas don't trigger any of the stage effects. Silly or not, that's how it is.

Also, though fairly accurate, there are some inaccuracies in that article and a number of mis-quotes.

Last edited by junior; 12-21-2007 at 04:40 AM..
Old 12-21-2007, 04:51 AM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingflame View Post
guess preprogrammed stuff was on the aenima-tour....think stevejols is right! also read that interview but don`t know, where it was...
During the Aenima tour the video was all played back on either S-VHS decks or Beta decks. There were 2 videotape decks and a small mixer to mix back and forth between the 2 decks. It was done this way up until 2001.
At that point a digital system was devised to allow Camella to play back Quicktime clips on a MIDI keyboard (a small Roland or Yamaha). Clips were played back with the keys and some of the black keys controlled speed and direction.
Midway through 2002 the transition to an early version of the current system took place when Camella left the road to take care of her other projects at home (Spiraleyes, Bütcher, etc.). This new system (as described in the article) is controlled by a lighting console (not the same one lighting uses, but similar), and the content is on broadcast quality video decks.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Thanks for the info junior,

Are there plans to use the audio/data streams from the band members to trigger effects?
I realize it's not as simple as running the cat5 from the stage and plugging it in to the control box, but it could produce some interesting results,

I have visions of Danny doing Merkaba and triggering an intricate laser show emanating from behind the drum kit,

Actually, do you have any info on Dannys Mandala setup that you can share? More so the back-end technical side rather than the physical setup.

Last edited by Winston; 12-21-2007 at 02:32 PM..
Old 12-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Thanks for the info junior,

Are there plans to use the audio/data streams from the band members to trigger effects?
I realize it's not as simple as running the cat5 from the stage and plugging it in to the control box, but it could produce some interesting results,

I have visions of Danny doing Merkaba and triggering an intricate laser show emanating from behind the drum kit,

Actually, do you have any info on Dannys Mandala setup that you can share? More so the back-end technical side rather than the physical setup.
The video guy, Breck, did some experiments with band triggered effects in 2002 and the results were less than exciting. If we find a good reason to do it I suppose we are still open to it.

I don't have a lot of info about the Mandala. Danny's tech (Joe Paul) and the bass/electronics tech (Mat) would know more about it, as would Vince (the inventor). All I know about it is that they are connected to some sort of trigger interface that talks to an offstage PowerMac G5 (it might be a MacPro now). I believe one of the programs involved is called Battery (a drum sampler), but I'm not sure if they still use that.
There is a remote monitor, keyboard and mouse on Dannys riser so he can make adjustments during the show.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: