opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 02. Prison Sex
User Name
Password
Old 12-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 24
Possibly said before..

I'm sure others have gotten this idea but I haven's seen it in a while so I thought I might post this...

I've got my hands bound,
my head down, my eyes closed,
and my throat wide open.

This is what one might assume a postion of rape to be... Hands bound, head bent over, and your eyes pinched closed. The throat being your sort of exposed body... being vulnerable to attack.

Though this is also the assumed postion of prayer. Hands interlocked, head bowed over, and eyes closed to keep from distraction. Your throat, in this case, is exposed to god.

I feel that this is saying that in a way religion is rape. It's the ones who are so corrupt over it forcing you into it, just like rape.

And, like I said... it may not be a NEW idea. But leave your thoughts...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11
Re: Possibly said before..

Well thought out idea.
Could you maybe explain further how the idea of "religion is rape" agrees with the REST of the song though?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 96

the religion as a sort of rape thing is really ineteresting too, because the majority of people who are religious are forced into it from birth. Perhaps this strenghtens the point that Religion is like rape of a child. similarly to what Maynard claims to have experienced. As people grow up accepting religion, Maynard has now had to grow up with the horrors of child abuse.

Im not entirely sure Religion is a factor to this song, but i liked the point so i thought id add my two pennys.

Don't get big ideas, they are not going to happen.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

prayer, yes, spot on. (i think i've mentioned those lyrics as a reference to the depressing obsession of the crucifix - that we are just as dead as that man on his stick) ...but the mars volta has just recently kicked into this notion ...they've kinda tried to bring it into the phi proportions (me thinks). "my hands secrete a monument" may refer to the many variations of the golden ratio in the human form (as cited in stinkfist), "turn around and take my hand". keeping your hands clamped together (especially with your eyes closed) denies the ability to understand that we were indeed created within the divine proportions. please check out my recent stinkfist thread: http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=73434 ...then look over tmv's latest release "amputechture" in its entirety. from "day of the baphomets":

"how long must we fold by hand
the nuns are burning wheels again
dent of mattress to make it bare
come clean with the anecdote
after all we came undone
pale of sluts with host at fault
one day we won't pay your debt
our centipedes will get theirs yet"

basically, as i've come to understand, sure, past beliefs and institutions have had their neat lil' messages, ...but 2000 years later*, i mean, we've gone well beyond the time of evolving ideas, and to remain complacent is absolutely "repugnant".

* godhead - 2000 years of human error ...i bought it a lo-ong time ago, and never listened to it (still haven't) but how relative is this to tool's music?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: