Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
JesusIsCuming's Avatar JesusIsCuming
05-12-2006, 12:48 PM

""And after calming me down, with some orange slices, and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose, He said, "You are the Chosen One, the One who will deliver the message. A message of hope to those who choose to hear it, and a warning to those who do not." Me. The Chosen One?
They chose me, and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school.""

This part of the song leaps out at me everytime I listen to the album. Not quite sure why. Perhaps its due to the fact that I like fetal spooning, or that I didn't finish high school.(To which I have gotten my GED and gone to college since)

Whatever it is that bring this portion of the song out to me must have some sort of meaning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
But before the fire, you die from fright."
Larry Smit - 1999

Last edited by JesusIsCuming; 05-12-2006 at 02:00 PM..
Old 05-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Orange slices and fetal spooning?

E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose, He said, "You are the Chosen One, the One who will deliver the message. A message of hope to those who choose to hear it, and a warning to those who do not." Me. The Chosen One?

This part of the song leaps out at me everytime I listen to the album. Not quite sure why. Perhaps its due to the fact that I like fetal spooning, or that I didn't finish high school.(To which I have gotten my GED and gone to college since)

Whatever it is that bring this portion of the song out to me must have some sort of meaning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
But before the fire, you die from fright."
Larry Smit - 1999

Last edited by JesusIsCuming; 05-12-2006 at 02:00 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
JE Mack's Avatar JE Mack
05-13-2006, 08:06 AM

what's fetal spooning mean?
Old 05-13-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 3972
Re: Orange slices and fetal spooning?

what's fetal spooning mean?
AlphaGeek's Avatar AlphaGeek
05-13-2006, 08:27 AM

Spooning...Fetal Spooning in particular would be the act of cuddling and caressing, "belly to back". In this case, the speaker would be lying on his side in the fetal position whilst the alien lie with it's abdomen pressed into the speakers back and gently caressed him.

Spooning is a sensual (?)tantric position for copulation, but it is not necessarily sexual.

It is common practice for a trip sitter to use spooning techniques and proximity, physical contact and reassurance to calm someone who is having a particularly intense trip, 7th (crown) chakra or disassociation experience. Orance slices are also common as the citric acid and vitamin C supposedly assist LSD to bond with fatty tissues. I think that latter fact is touched on again in the "Sunkist and Sudafed" line later on the song (sunkist being a manufacturer of Vitamin C suppliments as well). Sudafed contains pseudoephedrine,which I believe may be used to heighten alertness in a stuporous person, though I have never used it in this way.
This post was made with no warranties, expressed or implied. All comments are to be taked with a grain of salt. Athough attempts may or may not be made to accentuate the sarcasm, It is the sole responsibility of the reader to ascertain the particular level of sarcasm therein.

Quote:
"Stick that big goofy head back in your ass..."
- Sodemizer
Old 05-13-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Spooning...Fetal Spooning in particular would be the act of cuddling and caressing, "belly to back". In this case, the speaker would be lying on his side in the fetal position whilst the alien lie with it's abdomen pressed into the speakers back and gently caressed him.

Spooning is a sensual (?)tantric position for copulation, but it is not necessarily sexual.

It is common practice for a trip sitter to use spooning techniques and proximity, physical contact and reassurance to calm someone who is having a particularly intense trip, 7th (crown) chakra or disassociation experience. Orance slices are also common as the citric acid and vitamin C supposedly assist LSD to bond with fatty tissues. I think that latter fact is touched on again in the "Sunkist and Sudafed" line later on the song (sunkist being a manufacturer of Vitamin C suppliments as well). Sudafed contains pseudoephedrine,which I believe may be used to heighten alertness in a stuporous person, though I have never used it in this way.
This post was made with no warranties, expressed or implied. All comments are to be taked with a grain of salt. Athough attempts may or may not be made to accentuate the sarcasm, It is the sole responsibility of the reader to ascertain the particular level of sarcasm therein.

Quote:
- Sodemizer
TurdEye13's Avatar TurdEye13
05-13-2006, 08:30 AM

Weird
Old 05-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

Weird
05-13-2006, 10:12 AM

I learned so much about spooning today. THanks for making dreams come true.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

05-13-2006, 12:39 PM

While I suppose fetal spooning makes more sense than needle spooning, I hear needle, not fetal. I don't hear anything that sounds to me like the sound of an 'f'
Old 05-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

While I suppose fetal spooning makes more sense than needle spooning, I hear needle, not fetal. I don't hear anything that sounds to me like the sound of an 'f'
JE Mack's Avatar JE Mack
05-13-2006, 03:06 PM

i cant imagine the guy talking about aliens cuddling with him to calm him down. that would not calm me down at all. but i could be wrong. i don't hear "f" either. i hear a sound like "b" but beetle spooning makes no sense so i think maybe none of us have guessed those lyrics right yet.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
Banned.

i cant imagine the guy talking about aliens cuddling with him to calm him down. that would not calm me down at all. but i could be wrong. i don't hear "f" either. i hear a sound like "b" but beetle spooning makes no sense so i think maybe none of us have guessed those lyrics right yet.
AlphaGeek's Avatar AlphaGeek
05-13-2006, 04:35 PM

It has to be fetal spooning, considering the context of the passage.

Quote:
- Sodemizer
Old 05-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

It has to be fetal spooning, considering the context of the passage.

Quote:
- Sodemizer
½ - ∑mptﻹ's Avatar ½ - ∑mptﻹ
05-13-2006, 07:35 PM

nothin like a little citrus and alien lovin to calm them nerves.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

nothin like a little citrus and alien lovin to calm them nerves.
05-13-2006, 09:30 PM

No matter how many times I listen to the song, I still don't hear fetal spooning. From the very first listen I've heard "needle spooning", possibly a nod to heroin to calm the nerves of this strung out close encounters of the third kind-type witness. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by PHansTXMD; 05-13-2006 at 09:33 PM..
Old 05-13-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

No matter how many times I listen to the song, I still don't hear fetal spooning. From the very first listen I've heard "needle spooning", possibly a nod to heroin to calm the nerves of this strung out close encounters of the third kind-type witness. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by PHansTXMD; 05-13-2006 at 09:33 PM..
Kaiyuss's Avatar Kaiyuss
05-14-2006, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHansTXMD
Listen to some of the live bootlegs that have been on the web for a while. It's a lot easier to hear what Maynard says during Rosetta Stoned.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:12 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHansTXMD
Listen to some of the live bootlegs that have been on the web for a while. It's a lot easier to hear what Maynard says during Rosetta Stoned.
BrettAM
05-14-2006, 11:34 AM

I suppose we'll just wait for the official lyrics to come out. However, I also hear "needle spooning" and considering the protagonist of the song is none too bright, I wouldn't put it past him to combine LSD and Heroin.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:34 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

I suppose we'll just wait for the official lyrics to come out. However, I also hear "needle spooning" and considering the protagonist of the song is none too bright, I wouldn't put it past him to combine LSD and Heroin.
PriceisRight's Avatar PriceisRight
05-14-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGeek

So if spooning helps calm someone whos having a trip...could the guy in the song be talking to the listener and thinks an alien is speaking to him when it was really the doctor asking whats going on?

Just a thought...
Old 05-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGeek

So if spooning helps calm someone whos having a trip...could the guy in the song be talking to the listener and thinks an alien is speaking to him when it was really the doctor asking whats going on?

Just a thought...
05-14-2006, 12:10 PM

being beamed aboard a stealth banana sounds like it would be pretty traumatic.

locking yourself in the fetal position is instinctive during traumatic experiences. the intelligent aliens, as they were, would know this and comfort him with another tactic used to coax one out of a traumatic state: spooning.

behold fetal spooning.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #14

Bincount™: 1020

being beamed aboard a stealth banana sounds like it would be pretty traumatic.

locking yourself in the fetal position is instinctive during traumatic experiences. the intelligent aliens, as they were, would know this and comfort him with another tactic used to coax one out of a traumatic state: spooning.

behold fetal spooning.
Blanket_509's Avatar Blanket_509
05-14-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseLogic
And I suppose Jimi Hendrix must have sang, "excuse me while I kiss this guy".

C'mon guys, we all know that Maynard is not the most articulate singer...use your brains for this one.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #15

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

C'mon guys, we all know that Maynard is not the most articulate singer...use your brains for this one.
CaseLogic
05-14-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanket_509

No
Old 05-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanket_509

No
½ - ∑mptﻹ's Avatar ½ - ∑mptﻹ
05-14-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therandom
:laughing audibly:
Old 05-14-2006, 06:16 PM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by therandom
:laughing audibly:
05-14-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceisRight

Just a thought...

my thoughts exactly
Old 05-14-2006, 07:29 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceisRight

Just a thought...

my thoughts exactly
05-14-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
No
suit yourself =P
Old 05-14-2006, 11:00 PM   #19

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
No
suit yourself =P
Stratosphere
05-15-2006, 01:05 AM

I'm with needle spooning.....ie the use of a spoon to heat the drugs into a liquid and them the needle to administer it......some sort of narcotic soporifc was used to calm him down.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:05 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

I'm with needle spooning.....ie the use of a spoon to heat the drugs into a liquid and them the needle to administer it......some sort of narcotic soporifc was used to calm him down.
Rezbit's Avatar Rezbit
05-15-2006, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye13
Weird
lol I agree with this guy...wtfh man!
Old 05-15-2006, 02:21 AM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye13
Weird
lol I agree with this guy...wtfh man!
Triangular_Vision's Avatar Triangular_Vision
05-15-2006, 04:48 AM

its definately fetal spooning... and being one that has taken lsd several times before... people that have been close to me for years have come across as nothing less than aliens. I can rememer seeing up to 6 beings inside of my girlfriend while i was trying to tell her i didn't want to smoke out of her bong. I couldn't even deal with watching myself watch myself do that... And the time distortion was out of this world. I couldn't even remember who she was or why i was there because i would get soooo lost in other worlds. When i would come back to reality it had been a lifetime to me since i had been there so it took a while to remember.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:48 AM   #22
Banned.

Bincount™: 5

its definately fetal spooning... and being one that has taken lsd several times before... people that have been close to me for years have come across as nothing less than aliens. I can rememer seeing up to 6 beings inside of my girlfriend while i was trying to tell her i didn't want to smoke out of her bong. I couldn't even deal with watching myself watch myself do that... And the time distortion was out of this world. I couldn't even remember who she was or why i was there because i would get soooo lost in other worlds. When i would come back to reality it had been a lifetime to me since i had been there so it took a while to remember.
jugheadsjonesin
05-15-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsCuming
the vitamin c in orange slices helps to reduce anxiety during an acid trip. hallucinating depletes certain vitamins leading to tension, which is often the cause for freaking out when tripping. the hypertension leads an altered mind to think that something wrong has happened.

I think that this whole song is just about freaking out on acid. anyone who's done over the top amounts of hallucinogens has probably had a trip in which they became megalomanical to the point of temporary schizophrenia. (i.e. thoughts of divination, delusions of grandeur, no regard for self preservation, etc.)

at the same time, hallucinating can bring out very primal childlike feelings, and something like being wrapped in a pink blanket, human contact (such as spooning), or petting an animal can calm you down.

"will I ever be coming down?"
"it's gotta be deadhead chemistry" - l.s.d. for sure

I know there's more to the song than that. I won't pretend to know for sure what the whole alien shit is about. It's entirely possible that this is Maynard hyppothesizing that L. Ron Hubbard came up with Scientology under these circumstances. unless Maynard is on the Sun Ra tip now or some shit, and thinks he is from another planet. (which I doubt, but would find humorous)
Old 05-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsCuming
the vitamin c in orange slices helps to reduce anxiety during an acid trip. hallucinating depletes certain vitamins leading to tension, which is often the cause for freaking out when tripping. the hypertension leads an altered mind to think that something wrong has happened.

I think that this whole song is just about freaking out on acid. anyone who's done over the top amounts of hallucinogens has probably had a trip in which they became megalomanical to the point of temporary schizophrenia. (i.e. thoughts of divination, delusions of grandeur, no regard for self preservation, etc.)

at the same time, hallucinating can bring out very primal childlike feelings, and something like being wrapped in a pink blanket, human contact (such as spooning), or petting an animal can calm you down.

"will I ever be coming down?"
"it's gotta be deadhead chemistry" - l.s.d. for sure

I know there's more to the song than that. I won't pretend to know for sure what the whole alien shit is about. It's entirely possible that this is Maynard hyppothesizing that L. Ron Hubbard came up with Scientology under these circumstances. unless Maynard is on the Sun Ra tip now or some shit, and thinks he is from another planet. (which I doubt, but would find humorous)
JE Mack's Avatar JE Mack
05-15-2006, 11:49 AM

what if he just made up a word, like "E.T.-al" spooning? dumb, but thought i'd throw it out there.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:49 AM   #24
Banned.

what if he just made up a word, like "E.T.-al" spooning? dumb, but thought i'd throw it out there.
Bodhi
05-15-2006, 10:18 PM

Great Song.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Great Song.
05-16-2006, 09:13 AM

i heard anal.... no idea why. i agree now though, there is a T in there.. :)
Old 05-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

i heard anal.... no idea why. i agree now though, there is a T in there.. :)
praefector's Avatar praefector
05-16-2006, 09:20 AM

do any of you arguing for needle spooning know that cooking drugs in a spoon for IV injection isnt, nor has it ever been, called "needle spooning"...

do you think nard would just make up a term to fit the song that doesnt fit the song when something like "fetal spooning" makes perfect sense.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #27

do any of you arguing for needle spooning know that cooking drugs in a spoon for IV injection isnt, nor has it ever been, called "needle spooning"...

do you think nard would just make up a term to fit the song that doesnt fit the song when something like "fetal spooning" makes perfect sense.
bitter_enigma's Avatar bitter_enigma
05-16-2006, 09:21 AM

The local chinese place down the road gives you free orange slices for dessert.
No fetal spooning though. Should I complain?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23

The local chinese place down the road gives you free orange slices for dessert.
No fetal spooning though. Should I complain?
K In Yo Mouf
05-16-2006, 09:37 AM

I Fetal Spoon With McRogglez All the Time...
Old 05-16-2006, 09:37 AM   #29

Bincount™: 4

I Fetal Spoon With McRogglez All the Time...
05-16-2006, 10:00 AM

Remember when you took probably one too many blotters or a couple too many caps and you are subsequently ravaged by a torrent of ultra sonic light and sound waves and you try to maintain balance but the fucking ground below you wont stop twirling around in alternating spiral patterns, only later to be overcome by the deafening silent roar of some intangible alarm sounding somewhere between your cerebral cortex and the front of your fucking skull. you become powerless to intention and willfull action, and find yourself down in the dirt curled up in a fetal state, thrusting back in forth in an uncontrollable motion that could be acurately described as something like spooning?! it fits perfectly!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #30

Remember when you took probably one too many blotters or a couple too many caps and you are subsequently ravaged by a torrent of ultra sonic light and sound waves and you try to maintain balance but the fucking ground below you wont stop twirling around in alternating spiral patterns, only later to be overcome by the deafening silent roar of some intangible alarm sounding somewhere between your cerebral cortex and the front of your fucking skull. you become powerless to intention and willfull action, and find yourself down in the dirt curled up in a fetal state, thrusting back in forth in an uncontrollable motion that could be acurately described as something like spooning?! it fits perfectly!
05-16-2006, 11:46 AM

look...it's simple.

Fetal position is reverting back in a time of fear.

Spooning is a comforting position.

SIMPLE!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #31

look...it's simple.

Fetal position is reverting back in a time of fear.

Spooning is a comforting position.

SIMPLE!
05-16-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o00mega00

Yes, and i never wanna go back there again.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by o00mega00

Yes, and i never wanna go back there again.
05-16-2006, 08:50 PM

As someone who has never done acid, the lyrics make more sense now. But I still cant get over, "They chose me, and I didnt even graduate fucking high school." what the hell is that? Am I just missing a greater meaning here?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #33

Bincount™: 9

As someone who has never done acid, the lyrics make more sense now. But I still cant get over, "They chose me, and I didnt even graduate fucking high school." what the hell is that? Am I just missing a greater meaning here?
ladycommish's Avatar ladycommish
05-21-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiPp_1
"They chose me, and I didnt even graduate fucking high school." what the hell is that? Am I just missing a greater meaning here?
I agree, this makes no sense to me.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #34
Introverted Extrovert

Bincount™: 6698

Quote:
"They chose me, and I didnt even graduate fucking high school." what the hell is that? Am I just missing a greater meaning here?
I agree, this makes no sense to me.
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
05-21-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
It makes total sense, at least my interpretation does to me. This person is blasted out of the universe on acid and he's being told the secrets of the universe and of humanity. He's being told he's the chosen one. He's going to be delivering a message of hope. And he didn't even graduate from fucking highschool.

Wouldn't you be a bit overwhelemed if you hadn't even finished school and were now being chosen to speak the end to the world?

I think he's pointing out that when you're on acid, even the non-sensical can make complete and utter sense at the time. And the fact that he was the chosen one of all the people in the world and wasn't even a highschool graduate struck him as disturbingly humorous.

Kinda like telling someone "Yeah, I'm making $25/hour now working as a personal consultant - and I didn't even graduate highschool." - it's just a statement of musing disbelief.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 05-21-2006, 07:59 PM   #35
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
It makes total sense, at least my interpretation does to me. This person is blasted out of the universe on acid and he's being told the secrets of the universe and of humanity. He's being told he's the chosen one. He's going to be delivering a message of hope. And he didn't even graduate from fucking highschool.

Wouldn't you be a bit overwhelemed if you hadn't even finished school and were now being chosen to speak the end to the world?

I think he's pointing out that when you're on acid, even the non-sensical can make complete and utter sense at the time. And the fact that he was the chosen one of all the people in the world and wasn't even a highschool graduate struck him as disturbingly humorous.

Kinda like telling someone "Yeah, I'm making $25/hour now working as a personal consultant - and I didn't even graduate highschool." - it's just a statement of musing disbelief.

praefector's Avatar praefector
05-21-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
um

too many drugs = burnout

burnout = dropout

its not that complicated.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #36

Quote:
um

too many drugs = burnout

burnout = dropout

its not that complicated.
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
05-21-2006, 08:35 PM

fetal spooning = baby porno
Old 05-21-2006, 08:35 PM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

fetal spooning = baby porno
05-21-2006, 09:01 PM

i always listened to it as ego spooning
Old 05-21-2006, 09:01 PM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

i always listened to it as ego spooning
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
05-21-2006, 09:27 PM

Has no one here ever done any potent psychedelics? Have you never been so deep into a trip that you felt as though you were being cradled in the womb of the universe and that he/she/it was somehow holding you safely (fetal spooning)? I saw the connection the first time I read the potential lyrics - immediately.

Maybe I've done too many drugs. But I've a feeling Maynard has done more drugs than he hasn't done.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:27 PM   #39
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Has no one here ever done any potent psychedelics? Have you never been so deep into a trip that you felt as though you were being cradled in the womb of the universe and that he/she/it was somehow holding you safely (fetal spooning)? I saw the connection the first time I read the potential lyrics - immediately.

Maybe I've done too many drugs. But I've a feeling Maynard has done more drugs than he hasn't done.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply