Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
oracrest
04-28-2006, 05:53 PM

this has probably been posted already.... oh well.

but I keep coming back to some of Bill Hicks bits with the lyrics of the song. Seems to be very comparable to when he talked about aliens travelling millions of miles across the galaxy only to come in contact with the dumbest (hillbillies) types of people that they could. Seems the character he is describing in the song is just your average lazy dude who loses the meaning of such a message once given to him, being so overwhelmed with the experience itself.

While I was dissapointed in the album at first, mainly to the repetative nature that Adam's riffs seem to be on the whole album, I have to say that its really settling in and becoming quite an enjoyable record, this song specifically is definetly my favorite. At first, I read into his lyrical references to krispy kreme and birkentocks (not to mention "shit the bed") as akward songwriting, but the more I listen to it, the more it sounds like the lyrics themselves are progressive in their depth and intellect (progression being what I love most about TOOL songs,) Going from this characters perspective on an inhuman experience, to more powerful and metaphysical singing at the bridge (around 8:30ish)

Bill Hicks also talks about his experiences of witnessing aliens and ships while under the influence, and there seems to be another parallel with this. "Eyes Red.." seems to suggest drug use by the character, and I know myself that I have discovered and figured out some serious life philosophies and questions while tripping, only to lose my grasp on those concepts when I come back down. Like trying so hard to remember a dream that is all but forgotten.

I also interpret a message concerning the importance of information, and what we as people choose to do with it. Seems that the fact that this life loser (having not graduated from high school even) was so struck by the idea that HE was the one that had been chosen to become a savior in a sense... that the information itself was lost in the haze of this significant epiphany (of suddenly being considered very important). Like the power to be great is inside all of us, but our own premeditated self image can be so destructive towards achieving it.

anyway, just my interpretation, but thought it would be fun to share.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
bill hicks influence

this has probably been posted already.... oh well.

but I keep coming back to some of Bill Hicks bits with the lyrics of the song. Seems to be very comparable to when he talked about aliens travelling millions of miles across the galaxy only to come in contact with the dumbest (hillbillies) types of people that they could. Seems the character he is describing in the song is just your average lazy dude who loses the meaning of such a message once given to him, being so overwhelmed with the experience itself.

While I was dissapointed in the album at first, mainly to the repetative nature that Adam's riffs seem to be on the whole album, I have to say that its really settling in and becoming quite an enjoyable record, this song specifically is definetly my favorite. At first, I read into his lyrical references to krispy kreme and birkentocks (not to mention "shit the bed") as akward songwriting, but the more I listen to it, the more it sounds like the lyrics themselves are progressive in their depth and intellect (progression being what I love most about TOOL songs,) Going from this characters perspective on an inhuman experience, to more powerful and metaphysical singing at the bridge (around 8:30ish)

Bill Hicks also talks about his experiences of witnessing aliens and ships while under the influence, and there seems to be another parallel with this. "Eyes Red.." seems to suggest drug use by the character, and I know myself that I have discovered and figured out some serious life philosophies and questions while tripping, only to lose my grasp on those concepts when I come back down. Like trying so hard to remember a dream that is all but forgotten.

I also interpret a message concerning the importance of information, and what we as people choose to do with it. Seems that the fact that this life loser (having not graduated from high school even) was so struck by the idea that HE was the one that had been chosen to become a savior in a sense... that the information itself was lost in the haze of this significant epiphany (of suddenly being considered very important). Like the power to be great is inside all of us, but our own premeditated self image can be so destructive towards achieving it.

anyway, just my interpretation, but thought it would be fun to share.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
InertUniformity's Avatar InertUniformity
04-28-2006, 06:13 PM

i will listen to anyones interpretation of this song to be honest...

i was listening to the Bill Hicks in Montreal last night, and he mentioned something about UFOs "splitting the sky right open"...thats a familiar line no?

i also think people should check out Blairs March Newsletter...it might actually hold the key to everything about this song.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104
Re: bill hicks influence

i will listen to anyones interpretation of this song to be honest...

i was listening to the Bill Hicks in Montreal last night, and he mentioned something about UFOs "splitting the sky right open"...thats a familiar line no?

i also think people should check out Blairs March Newsletter...it might actually hold the key to everything about this song.
05-06-2006, 01:03 AM

don't forget the "stealth banana" reference... great shit
Old 05-06-2006, 01:03 AM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

don't forget the "stealth banana" reference... great shit
Vondruke
05-06-2006, 01:17 AM

See, everyone got boners over the technology, and it was pretty incredible. Watching missiles fly down air vents, pretty unbelievable. But couldn't we feasibly use that same technology to shoot food at hungry people? Know what I mean? Fly over Ethiopia, "There's a guy that needs a banana!" SHOOP. The Stealth Banana.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:17 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

See, everyone got boners over the technology, and it was pretty incredible. Watching missiles fly down air vents, pretty unbelievable. But couldn't we feasibly use that same technology to shoot food at hungry people? Know what I mean? Fly over Ethiopia, "There's a guy that needs a banana!" SHOOP. The Stealth Banana.
tescovee's Avatar tescovee
05-06-2006, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracrest
Wow that is going to be my new mantra, well said
Old 05-06-2006, 05:57 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracrest
Wow that is going to be my new mantra, well said
randomhero8823's Avatar randomhero8823
05-06-2006, 09:38 AM

I think Right In Two also may have a little bit of Bill Hicks in it as well.....when Maynard says "Silly monkeys give them thumbs" it reminds me of when Bill Hicks is talking to the audience and saying how "evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs, you know that right?" there is what seems to be a Bill hicks reference in almost every tool cd (the most obvious being Aenima) and of course Maynard and Bill would meet each other from Undertow (The band sent Bill a copy and said he was part of the inspiration) (I remember reading that they did not meet in comedy clubs doing stand up I think it was on Tool army FAQs or something) but anyway all this makes me think, how big of an influence was Bill on Maynard and/or the band. (specifically Maynard)
Old 05-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1657

I think Right In Two also may have a little bit of Bill Hicks in it as well.....when Maynard says "Silly monkeys give them thumbs" it reminds me of when Bill Hicks is talking to the audience and saying how "evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs, you know that right?" there is what seems to be a Bill hicks reference in almost every tool cd (the most obvious being Aenima) and of course Maynard and Bill would meet each other from Undertow (The band sent Bill a copy and said he was part of the inspiration) (I remember reading that they did not meet in comedy clubs doing stand up I think it was on Tool army FAQs or something) but anyway all this makes me think, how big of an influence was Bill on Maynard and/or the band. (specifically Maynard)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply