Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
El Scorcho's Avatar El Scorcho
05-02-2006, 09:53 PM

To me, it seems the song climaxes ("details of our ending" part) and hits a logical end by 9 minutes and 39 seconds in, and then it kicks back in and goes on for another useless minute and half. For some reason this really frustrates me every time I listen to it. When Maynard screams right after, it always pisses me off, and I don't really know why. I just feel they overextended an otherwise good song. Sure, a little part of that last 1.5 minutes is OK, but it starts to get really repetitive and I would like the song a lot more had they trimmed it a bit. Any thoughts?

If you need to get the gist of what I'm saying, listen from 7:20ish to 9:39. Maybe I'm alone on this.

Last edited by El Scorcho; 05-02-2006 at 09:59 PM..
Old 05-02-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Does anyone else this song should end at 9:39?

To me, it seems the song climaxes ("details of our ending" part) and hits a logical end by 9 minutes and 39 seconds in, and then it kicks back in and goes on for another useless minute and half. For some reason this really frustrates me every time I listen to it. When Maynard screams right after, it always pisses me off, and I don't really know why. I just feel they overextended an otherwise good song. Sure, a little part of that last 1.5 minutes is OK, but it starts to get really repetitive and I would like the song a lot more had they trimmed it a bit. Any thoughts?

If you need to get the gist of what I'm saying, listen from 7:20ish to 9:39. Maybe I'm alone on this.

Last edited by El Scorcho; 05-02-2006 at 09:59 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
rembrandt_q_einstein's Avatar rembrandt_q_einstein
05-02-2006, 10:03 PM

if TOOL wanted the song to end at 9:39 they would have.

Last edited by paraflux; 05-04-2006 at 06:21 AM..
Old 05-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 122
Re: Does anyone else think this song should end at 9:39?

if TOOL wanted the song to end at 9:39 they would have.

Last edited by paraflux; 05-04-2006 at 06:21 AM..
El Scorcho's Avatar El Scorcho
05-02-2006, 10:06 PM

Fair enough. But I can critique it if I want. That's why this forum is here, to discuss the song. And I think it fucking sucks that the song goes on too long, in my humble opinion.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Fair enough. But I can critique it if I want. That's why this forum is here, to discuss the song. And I think it fucking sucks that the song goes on too long, in my humble opinion.
guitarpete987
05-02-2006, 10:06 PM

Sadly, I don't agree. I think the stop-startishness of this fits perfectly with the song's mood and I don't find what comes after your suggested end to be repetitive or boring. In fact, when Adam comes in with that new riff and the band races toward that frenzied close, well, that just gives me chills.

We've all got our points of view though, so I'm not saying I'm right.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Sadly, I don't agree. I think the stop-startishness of this fits perfectly with the song's mood and I don't find what comes after your suggested end to be repetitive or boring. In fact, when Adam comes in with that new riff and the band races toward that frenzied close, well, that just gives me chills.

We've all got our points of view though, so I'm not saying I'm right.
05-02-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
yea that is why the forum is here... but i just hate when people act like they know EXACTLY what the band should have done... like TOOL fuckin owes you something i mean shit the whole song is bad ass
Old 05-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
yea that is why the forum is here... but i just hate when people act like they know EXACTLY what the band should have done... like TOOL fuckin owes you something i mean shit the whole song is bad ass
05-03-2006, 02:18 PM

9:40.
At nine forty is the best answer to:
Does anyone else think this song should end at 9:39?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
predicticus maximus

Bincount™: 2

9:40.
At nine forty is the best answer to:
Does anyone else think this song should end at 9:39?
Steventh
05-04-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:

I agree with you. The "Overwhelmed..." part is the climax of the song... it should have ended shortly after. I would of loved to see it go into a cool drum solo to end it. That would have rocked.

I feel the last minute and a half was kind of anti-climatic.

Still a great song, though.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Does anyone else this song should end at 9:39?

Quote:

I agree with you. The "Overwhelmed..." part is the climax of the song... it should have ended shortly after. I would of loved to see it go into a cool drum solo to end it. That would have rocked.

05-04-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventh

If the song ended at 9:35, 9:39, whatever, it wouldn't be 11:11.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
I'd rather listen to Hanson.

Quote:

If the song ended at 9:35, 9:39, whatever, it wouldn't be 11:11.
Steventh
05-04-2006, 03:08 PM

Yeah dude, but imagine... instead of that screaming and repeating sh|t, imagine a minute and a half drum solo to close out the song? That would be awesome.

I mean, yeah, I'm sure the band had some reason to do what they did with the song. I realize it's their song, but I'm just saying, a drum solo there would have been cool.

Last edited by Steventh; 05-04-2006 at 03:10 PM..
Old 05-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #9

Yeah dude, but imagine... instead of that screaming and repeating sh|t, imagine a minute and a half drum solo to close out the song? That would be awesome.

I mean, yeah, I'm sure the band had some reason to do what they did with the song. I realize it's their song, but I'm just saying, a drum solo there would have been cool.

Last edited by Steventh; 05-04-2006 at 03:10 PM..
parabol4
05-04-2006, 03:27 PM

The part around 9:39 with the screaming is too awesome... also the ending at 11:11 is great, so I guess the answer is no.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #10

The part around 9:39 with the screaming is too awesome... also the ending at 11:11 is great, so I guess the answer is no.
Asprinbah
05-04-2006, 03:30 PM

I love the ending, and the somewhat disjointed ending fits with the whole mind frame of the character. So, my answer is no.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:30 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

I love the ending, and the somewhat disjointed ending fits with the whole mind frame of the character. So, my answer is no.
xPOGOx's Avatar xPOGOx
05-04-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:

No. A minute and a half of drum solo would not be cool to end this song.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #12

Quote:

No. A minute and a half of drum solo would not be cool to end this song.
identitat soldat
05-04-2006, 03:48 PM

I gotta disagree, although I see where you are coming from.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:48 PM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I gotta disagree, although I see where you are coming from.
05-04-2006, 11:44 PM

I think it should end at 11:13...wait...it does

Oh noes!

Shit the bed!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:44 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Oh noes!

Shit the bed!
05-04-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Official Fiction

Oh noes!

Shit the bed!
It ends at 11:11.

10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2) ends at 11:13.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Official Fiction

Oh noes!

Shit the bed!
It ends at 11:11.

10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2) ends at 11:13.
05-05-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:

i actually went back and paid attention to the song at 9:39... i have no idea why you wouldn't want the rest of the track... there's two different breakdowns in the last 1.5 mins that are bad ass. id have to say that the last 1.5 mins are more than just "OK"
Old 05-05-2006, 07:19 AM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

i actually went back and paid attention to the song at 9:39... i have no idea why you wouldn't want the rest of the track... there's two different breakdowns in the last 1.5 mins that are bad ass. id have to say that the last 1.5 mins are more than just "OK"
05-05-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:

I know people are relating songs on this CD to other songs way too much, but I really do think of this song as another kinda of third eye. The length I think is important to its performativity. In a way this song, like third eye, is about and stylisticly made to be like an acid trip. An important part about thos eexperiences i s their overwhelming nature and duration. I must admit that later in the song (I think about 10:30) the song changes style, but then comes right back in to it and then it seems like less of a interruption and more of the chaotic nature of the whole experience. As far as length in general, I have no problem with very long songs, it one thing tool is amazing at doing well too, with great creshendos and build ups and ease downs
Old 05-05-2006, 07:45 AM   #17
win
Alive With Signs and Stars

Bincount™: 548

Quote:

I know people are relating songs on this CD to other songs way too much, but I really do think of this song as another kinda of third eye. The length I think is important to its performativity. In a way this song, like third eye, is about and stylisticly made to be like an acid trip. An important part about thos eexperiences i s their overwhelming nature and duration. I must admit that later in the song (I think about 10:30) the song changes style, but then comes right back in to it and then it seems like less of a interruption and more of the chaotic nature of the whole experience. As far as length in general, I have no problem with very long songs, it one thing tool is amazing at doing well too, with great creshendos and build ups and ease downs
pSYCHOtHErAPIST's Avatar pSYCHOtHErAPIST
05-05-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Just goes to show that if anyone but TOOL were TOOL, TOOL would suck.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:12 AM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Just goes to show that if anyone but TOOL were TOOL, TOOL would suck.
pSYCHOtHErAPIST's Avatar pSYCHOtHErAPIST
05-05-2006, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Why should something end right after the climax?

You ever trip?
It doesn't end right after you peak, that's for damn sure.

I'd say this is one of the more perfect TOOL songs ever recorded.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:15 AM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Why should something end right after the climax?

You ever trip?
It doesn't end right after you peak, that's for damn sure.

I'd say this is one of the more perfect TOOL songs ever recorded.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply