Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Se7en
04-20-2006, 09:16 PM

Well....I have no idea if this has been posted or not. But...Lost keys has the conversation of a woman speaking to a doctor in front of a very panicked patient. THe doctor begins to talk to the patient and tells him he is in a safe place. Well, the patient is insane and his rant is.....Rosetta Stoned.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
How It Links to Lost Keys

Well....I have no idea if this has been posted or not. But...Lost keys has the conversation of a woman speaking to a doctor in front of a very panicked patient. THe doctor begins to talk to the patient and tells him he is in a safe place. Well, the patient is insane and his rant is.....Rosetta Stoned.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
illumine
04-20-2006, 09:18 PM

that was pretty much my take on it, except rather than insane, it sounds like a real bad trip.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: How It Links to Lost Keys

that was pretty much my take on it, except rather than insane, it sounds like a real bad trip.
Se7en
04-20-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumine
Definetly. Actually. THat makes more sense. Since often times, "Bad Trips" result in panic and such, delusion, hallucinations, etc.

EDIT: I'm set on this belief now. Rosetta Stone is the ranting of someone on a horribly bad trip, no idea what's going, and basically hallucinating the fuck out, all the while set to chaotic music, to symbolize his state of mind. Bing Bang this is it. The aliens and all that shit are all in his head. He's just some junkie with a bad trip. So to recap.....

Vicarious: TV Is The Drug
The Pot: Pot is the Drug
Keys/Rosetta: Acid

I'm thinkin the others must have something perhaps too.

Last edited by Se7en; 04-20-2006 at 09:22 PM..
Old 04-20-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumine
Definetly. Actually. THat makes more sense. Since often times, "Bad Trips" result in panic and such, delusion, hallucinations, etc.

EDIT: I'm set on this belief now. Rosetta Stone is the ranting of someone on a horribly bad trip, no idea what's going, and basically hallucinating the fuck out, all the while set to chaotic music, to symbolize his state of mind. Bing Bang this is it. The aliens and all that shit are all in his head. He's just some junkie with a bad trip. So to recap.....

Vicarious: TV Is The Drug
The Pot: Pot is the Drug
Keys/Rosetta: Acid

I'm thinkin the others must have something perhaps too.

Last edited by Se7en; 04-20-2006 at 09:22 PM..
bunny_309
04-24-2006, 05:11 PM

I've been working in mental hospitals for a number of years now and the very first thing I thought of when I heard these two songs was that Lost keys was the staff's perspective and rosetta stoned was the patients' perspective... the thing that I picked up on the most was the "strapped down to my bed" verse/chorus part... this sounds like the reality-based part of the song with the rest of it being flight of ideas/looseness of associations/delusions of grandeur aspects of mental illness or the effects of some drugs (sorry to use jargon). And of course, the "shit the bed" line... guess what happens when patients get put in restraints and get psych meds like haldol (or as like to call it, Haldol) and they have to go...

The only thing about these two songs that doesn't reflect a mental hospital setting is that in lost keys it sounds like the nurse and doctor really care about the guy and are surprised by his symptoms... do I sound jaded?
B
Old 04-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

I've been working in mental hospitals for a number of years now and the very first thing I thought of when I heard these two songs was that Lost keys was the staff's perspective and rosetta stoned was the patients' perspective... the thing that I picked up on the most was the "strapped down to my bed" verse/chorus part... this sounds like the reality-based part of the song with the rest of it being flight of ideas/looseness of associations/delusions of grandeur aspects of mental illness or the effects of some drugs (sorry to use jargon). And of course, the "shit the bed" line... guess what happens when patients get put in restraints and get psych meds like haldol (or as like to call it, Haldol) and they have to go...

The only thing about these two songs that doesn't reflect a mental hospital setting is that in lost keys it sounds like the nurse and doctor really care about the guy and are surprised by his symptoms... do I sound jaded?
B
chewy
04-25-2006, 09:04 PM

thats because this song isnt about drugs. it's about being contacted by energy forces that are what make up the collective of all life. i know from experience that you can tap into this through the use of drugs (if need be) or just intense meditation. i know that the boys are definately in line with this shit. what do you think they do with alex grey? in my opinion, the speaker has made contact with the collective unconcious and is unable to communicate this higher form of energy to other humans ("can't remember what they said...but i forgot my pen....shit the bed..."). you know it has to do with communication because of the title. the rosetta tells you that it was a communication problem while the stoned is a good way to show that the whole process is stifled because of the inabilities of the speaker to convey this higher knowledge that he feels has been passed onto him to convey.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:04 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

thats because this song isnt about drugs. it's about being contacted by energy forces that are what make up the collective of all life. i know from experience that you can tap into this through the use of drugs (if need be) or just intense meditation. i know that the boys are definately in line with this shit. what do you think they do with alex grey? in my opinion, the speaker has made contact with the collective unconcious and is unable to communicate this higher form of energy to other humans ("can't remember what they said...but i forgot my pen....shit the bed..."). you know it has to do with communication because of the title. the rosetta tells you that it was a communication problem while the stoned is a good way to show that the whole process is stifled because of the inabilities of the speaker to convey this higher knowledge that he feels has been passed onto him to convey.
04-25-2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en
Uhm, is it just me, or was this not completely blaringly obvious?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en
vedhead
04-26-2006, 10:47 AM

Funny, coz the first time I took acid, I lost my car keys.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

04-26-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedhead
holy crap me too

wierd
Old 04-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedhead
holy crap me too

wierd
xmorteferoz
04-26-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Portman
Same. I thought this was common knowledge.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Portman
Same. I thought this was common knowledge.
rembrandt_q_einstein's Avatar rembrandt_q_einstein
04-26-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
holy crap me too

wierd
yea its pretty hard to lose your keys on acid...
Old 04-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
holy crap me too

wierd
yea its pretty hard to lose your keys on acid...
04-26-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy
i absolutely disagree

this song is about being beyond fucked up and experiencing a crazy trip probably DMT
Old 04-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy
i absolutely disagree

this song is about being beyond fucked up and experiencing a crazy trip probably DMT

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply