opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate » 4. Cold and Ugly
User Name
Password
Old 02-25-2005, 11:38 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23
The meaning of "Cold & Ugly"

I'm ready and willing to take any interpretations on this one.

I think it speaks about the fear that comes as a resultant to "waking up". You see when "asleep" you aren't aware of all the horrible and new things either as a part or a whole. When you "awaken" you now have an awareness of what's around and what's going on. And that can lead to fear. And so, now she has become so fearful that she has developed this wall, this barrier to keep her safe. And she hides it to keep it from getting hit with the shit she is now aware of. And Maynard (I guess) tries to comfort her by telling her that he is scared like her too. An odd way of comforting her and letting her have a chance to relate. I guess being afraid isn't as scary when you have someone there with you.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: The meaning of "Cold & Ugly"

I like that idea. Another take was that it was about the boy and girl's first sexual encounter. However I think it's deeper than that, meaning we're scared to do anything for the first time. Still, I like your interpretation.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
On Probation

Bincount™: 155

i think it's just about women wearing make up. there is little appreciation of what it is used for, it has become accepted as normal. essentially the kind of feelings that MJK is describing here that this particular woman is feeling, is felt by all women who use make up - they just don't know it. some of these women also think that muslim head dresses are bad for women and show oppresion. i find that funny, (that these women say that). they don't see the connection, not even an acknowledgement.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

i once posted this in a thread claiming that the Opiate album section deserved more posts, i posted it in arguement to someone saying that Opiate's songs lacked complexity in meaning, and abstract thought.
"i disagree... there are very many ways one could take in the messages for songs such as cold & ugly, i.e. one way to understand it is it's about a very bad trip, another way is it's about anal sex (as maynard once said "every album needs a song about anal sex), and yest a third way of understanding the meaning of this song is it being about someone whom portrays an extremity of vanity, due to the denial of how cold and ugly a person can be, using beauty as a way out of that terror, somewhat promoting the same message as the entire album of undertow, a fear of the unknown."
Old 03-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
On Probation

Bincount™: 24

well well well. i like the conversation here.
it could be said to be relating to the fact that there are many people so capable of greatness in the world, yet so many with great power are too afraid to live and breathe and share and instead do not let humanity/emotion/love penetrate and when love and warmth happen react negatively, even in some cases, killing others.

sad but true until we fix whats wrong with me and you...
me, for me,
and you, for you

until we both are capable of sharing equally and alike forever with all...etc...
Old 03-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
On Probation

Bincount™: 24

um oops. first attempt
Old 05-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasknight View Post
i think it's just about women wearing make up. there is little appreciation of what it is used for, it has become accepted as normal. essentially the kind of feelings that MJK is describing here that this particular woman is feeling, is felt by all women who use make up - they just don't know it. some of these women also think that muslim head dresses are bad for women and show oppresion. i find that funny, (that these women say that). they don't see the connection, not even an acknowledgement.
Instead of make-up, could you consider that the make-up is instead an emotional facade of sorts---a make-up that hides her true nature?
Old 09-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Simple, don't sugar coat reality. It's a cold and ugly world out there and you trying to make it seem otherwise only has you living in a fake bubble. Honesty is what we need regardless of whether we want it or not. We hide underneath our egos, appearances, and fake personalities (facades), we need to expose ourselves for who we truly are and then at least we can live an honest life, people can like us for who we are not for who we are trying to be. We're all scared of reality but if we confront it head on that's when we can grow and live a fulfilling life.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:28 AM   #9
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontages View Post
Simple, don't sugar coat reality. It's a cold and ugly world out there and you trying to make it seem otherwise only has you living in a fake bubble. Honesty is what we need regardless of whether we want it or not. We hide underneath our egos, appearances, and fake personalities (facades), we need to expose ourselves for who we truly are and then at least we can live an honest life, people can like us for who we are not for who we are trying to be. We're all scared of reality but if we confront it head on that's when we can grow and live a fulfilling life.
Good luck getting everybody to do that
Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

There in lies the problem...
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 35

It's a good post, Ontages, shedding some different light on this song. Indeed you are right about that whole "facade" thing. In my case lots had to happen before it got to me. I got trough a relationship which was just hiding behind facades on both sides. That relationship toppled over when all the truth has been revealed. To be honest meant to overpower the feelings, but it does feel better after all. "Schism" helped me a lot, whole that situation allowed me to understand Schism at last. "Reflection" is also somewhat related. As IE said it is almost impossible to get anybody to do that, I think this discovery has to be done by everybody on their own, sooner, later or... never.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Can't it just be about, a guy, who sees beneath all the bling, sees this person as a real threat, because she is so cold and manipulative, just terrified of what he's about to do,?..like use a knife,?....i know it's horrifying, but isn't that the point of the song?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
Banned.

I think Jerk-Off is the murder fantasy song
Old 05-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

I' just rolled one up,,first time today,,,haven't sparked yet,,,,but,,,words like FADE,...and nothing seems to penetrate her, cuz she's scared as helll"...i dunno, that sounds like a murder fantasy too

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: