Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
sonicanimal6
05-15-2007, 09:45 PM

What do you all think? I've loved the title, for the album, I mean, from the start, but now that I've gotten a feel for the atmosphere of the album in general, I appreciate it even more.

For instance, "The Pot." Loved the song, but it was probably my least favorite on the album, and quite possibly least favorite song by Tool, in general. I just recently thought about the title "10,000 Days" again, and, putting "The Pot" in context with said title, grew a new enormous appreciation for it.

Anyone have anything to add? Similar experiences? Similar experiences with other albums?

Most of all, though, anyone appreciate the title even more? Anyone any less?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
The title 10,000 Days, now that the chance has come and gone to digest it.

What do you all think? I've loved the title, for the album, I mean, from the start, but now that I've gotten a feel for the atmosphere of the album in general, I appreciate it even more.

For instance, "The Pot." Loved the song, but it was probably my least favorite on the album, and quite possibly least favorite song by Tool, in general. I just recently thought about the title "10,000 Days" again, and, putting "The Pot" in context with said title, grew a new enormous appreciation for it.

Anyone have anything to add? Similar experiences? Similar experiences with other albums?

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
akira
05-19-2007, 04:15 PM

"Have you really lived 10,000 or more days, or have you lived one day 10,000 or more times?" ~ Wayne Dyer

It probably went something along the lines of Maynard hearing this quote, finding a correlation between this quote by a self-help guru and his own personal life, and then taking the idea to the other guys for approval.

And what is the relationship you see between the title and 'The Pot', by the way?
Old 05-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Re: The title 10,000 Days, now that the chance has come and gone to digest it.

"Have you really lived 10,000 or more days, or have you lived one day 10,000 or more times?" ~ Wayne Dyer

It probably went something along the lines of Maynard hearing this quote, finding a correlation between this quote by a self-help guru and his own personal life, and then taking the idea to the other guys for approval.

And what is the relationship you see between the title and 'The Pot', by the way?
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
05-19-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicanimal6 View Post

I remember when I first heard the title... and thought, "awesome. Finally, a 'normal' name for an album". In the context of Tool, this means that they're loosening up, letting go, and just enjoying their craft. I think they took themselves a bit too seriously for Lateralus, for example. Don't get me wrong, Lat is a masterpiece; but I'm more a fan of chaos and mischeif and just plain enjoying yourself.

I really love this last album.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:

I remember when I first heard the title... and thought, "awesome. Finally, a 'normal' name for an album". In the context of Tool, this means that they're loosening up, letting go, and just enjoying their craft. I think they took themselves a bit too seriously for Lateralus, for example. Don't get me wrong, Lat is a masterpiece; but I'm more a fan of chaos and mischeif and just plain enjoying yourself.

I really love this last album.
sonicanimal6
05-20-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira View Post

Actually, it's not a relationship that I see between the title and "The Pot," itself, by any means really. What I'm referring to the feeling I get from the title and its surrounding atmospheres and artwork, etc. and relating that to the song "The Pot," which made me appreciate it more than I did in the start.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Actually, it's not a relationship that I see between the title and "The Pot," itself, by any means really. What I'm referring to the feeling I get from the title and its surrounding atmospheres and artwork, etc. and relating that to the song "The Pot," which made me appreciate it more than I did in the start.
hobbitcore
05-20-2007, 09:49 PM

doesn't it have something to do with Maynard's mom? (as evidenced by the lyric from the title track where he says "10,000 Days in the fire is long enough...you're going home"). I believe it was Kabir that brought that up in his pre-review, in non-specific terms.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

doesn't it have something to do with Maynard's mom? (as evidenced by the lyric from the title track where he says "10,000 Days in the fire is long enough...you're going home"). I believe it was Kabir that brought that up in his pre-review, in non-specific terms.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
05-20-2007, 11:07 PM

yes; that and more. that's what we're trying to get at...
Old 05-20-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

yes; that and more. that's what we're trying to get at...
Synergy's Avatar Synergy
05-21-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I still don't like it. The title sounds too much like Disturbed's latest album.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2410

Quote:
I still don't like it. The title sounds too much like Disturbed's latest album.
05-22-2007, 09:29 AM

Perhaps I should make clear that I am in no way referring to the song 10,000 Days, but the album title, and only that. I'm suggesting that the album title was created in a different context than the title song.

As for Disturbed, disregard that. Clearly, you have bad connotations with that band, so don't bother thinking of them or that horrible Ten Thousand Fists album. Think about it, get back to me.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Perhaps I should make clear that I am in no way referring to the song 10,000 Days, but the album title, and only that. I'm suggesting that the album title was created in a different context than the title song.

As for Disturbed, disregard that. Clearly, you have bad connotations with that band, so don't bother thinking of them or that horrible Ten Thousand Fists album. Think about it, get back to me.
0ctopod's Avatar 0ctopod
05-22-2007, 08:45 PM

I think it's a resonant album title, much like the others. It calls to mind many of their consistent themes. I still like it.

10,000 Fists is only one in a long line of albums titles to use that number before Tool. Look up "10,000" in the title section of gemm.com some time and you'll see what I mean.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think it's a resonant album title, much like the others. It calls to mind many of their consistent themes. I still like it.

10,000 Fists is only one in a long line of albums titles to use that number before Tool. Look up "10,000" in the title section of gemm.com some time and you'll see what I mean.
05-23-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Vey Interesting.........thanks for that tidbit!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:

Vey Interesting.........thanks for that tidbit!

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply