opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 02. Eulogy
User Name
Password
Old 02-08-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Eulogy of Jesus Christ

When I first heard the song I asked who it was about, and my knowledgable Tool friend told me that it was about Bill Hicks, but some of the lyrics keep leading me back to think it simply must be about Jesus. Here are the lyrics and why I think they are about him

"You told us how you weren't afraid to die.
Well then, so long."
--Jesus always claimed he would have to die for us, even though he was in fact afraid of this fact, it is often represented that he wasn't

"Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried."
-- Bill Hicks was never considered a martyr (or was he)

"Ranting and pointing his finger
At everything but his heart."
-- Jesus Christ was always dealing with other people's problems, when he himself was facing the biggest problem of all, knowing that he would have to be crucified

"Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone prepared to lead the way, with
Someone who would die for me."

"You've claimed all this time that you would die for me.
Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy"
--Bill Hicks never claimed to die for anybody

"Come down.
Get off your fuckin cross.
We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr."
--Well I mean it doesnt get much more obvious that this, this is what seals it for me, that it must be referring to Jesus

"To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified"
--That was the deal God told Jesus, he had to go down to earth to die for our sins, and then he would on the third day ascend to Heaven

Not to mention the fact that it is a very negative Eulogy and Tool only had respect for Bill Hicks so why would they start bashing him.

Andy
Old 04-28-2003, 12:34 AM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
i agree

I believe it was a blatant statement that tool saw christianity as complete and utter BS they basically say jesus lied...damn heretics...lol...they even say we need the space to nail the next fool martyr...almost eager hmm....

R E V E R U S
Old 04-28-2003, 06:35 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3
"Get off your cross" is a common statement meaning stop acting like a martyr. It doesn't necessarily have to do with Jesus. And I don't think Jesus every actually said that he would die for us.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:52 AM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
I cant believe Maynard is talking to Jesus when he challenges whether or not he would die for us. Jesus obviously did, so that should again reroute the listener to another avenue of thought, such as the song is a mockery of followers (sheep) and a challenge to anyone who tries to lead people through loud words and emotions, therefore putting themselves on a pedestal.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:36 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

canceling out the messiah

Quote:
Originally posted by paraflux the song is a mockery of followers (sheep) and a challenge to anyone who tries to lead people through loud words and emotions, therefore putting themselves on a pedestal. [/B]
thats what opiate was about...this is a mockery of jesus in paticular i think so because the claims of jesus are indesputable truth and that pissed maynard of to the extent that in order to kill off the christian ideology he had to unearth enough external ideas as to drown the idea of the messiah. you know...like...jesus didn't die he ran away with magdalena to fricken france right? he was a fake, not a messiah...he wouldn't die for you...
Old 05-03-2003, 09:28 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Its about Bill Hicks, I'd say.

Go and listen to his stuff and you'll understand why I feel that way.

"All governments are liars and murderers and I am now Jesus".

There are references to Jesus there, Hicks saw Jesus as a man who told the truth, the way he saw himself. That could be why the song references Jesus.

I personally feel that the song reflects how sad a loss Bill 's death was for us all.

I can't get my head around a lot of the contradictions in the song, I'd say it was written for Hicks by Keenan and we can't fully understand all of it because it's deep.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:44 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool songs cannot be solved like a math equation. There is not one formula that you can run it through and have it all work. Meaning, a song like Eulogy isn't fully about one person in every line. I think the best you can hope for when trying to translate a song like this is to find a person that fits most lines, and accept the other lines as nothing but the glue that helps hold the music together. In my expirience with writing poetry, I have found that some parts I write are there to just sound good and keep with the overal mood, rather than only trying to support the main idea.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:02 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by paraflux
Jesus obviously did, so that should again reroute the listener to another avenue of thought, such as the song is a mockery of followers (sheep) and a challenge to anyone who tries to lead people through loud words and emotions, therefore putting themselves on a pedestal.
I agree and disagree at the same time. I do not believe Jesus died for anyone but himself. But, the rest of what you said is on target and correct, I believe.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:08 AM   #9
Banned.

Ok, let me clarify. I personally do not care whether the story of Jesus has historical significence, meaning I dont care whether he really lived or not. The story, like all sacred stories, are for us to learn by. Whether he was actually here or not does not change the story. The story is that Jesus died for our sins so that we could have a chance at heaven. Is it a metaphor?
Amidamaru - I agree with you. I dont think its necessarily about any one person in particular. Why does it have to be? Why do people just try to pinpoint a single entity?
Reverus - I dont even consider Opiate to be about Jesus. Again, Maynard's bitterness towards christianity takes the stage. I think Jesus, if he was really a spirit, is looking down today and shaking his head, appaled at the things going on in his name. You can go ahead and say well he is talking directly to Jesus, and no, really he isnt. When he says We both want to rape you, he is speaking from the perspective of the church. Same with Eulogy Its using christianity and its symbolism to get across the point. The point of view from the followers side is heavily mocked. The "get off your fuckin cross" is just the attitude of, "well, you're dead and of no more use to me. Get down so someone else can lead the way and die for us." That's ridiculous thinking, The cycle is not progressive. The followers are stupid, mindless beings. It is funny to listen to the song in this light. Imagine a frenzied throng of people all "filled with the spirit" because these so-called "leaders" are strong and loud, and most importantly, willing to lead and be put on the pedestal.
Lachrymologist - Yes, Jesus said he would die for us and be raised from the dead in three days. The difference between him and the others that the song is about is that Jesus actually did, or so the story goes.

Some people are stuck thinking that
a) Maynard is always writing from his own perspective when in actuality he takes on many different characters
b) Tool hates Jesus when it is actually christianity that is to blame, men in power controlling the weak

Andy - Jesus never really told anyone he wasnt afraid to die. In fact, accounts show that he was, in fact, afraid or at least very very nervous. Hell, wouldnt you be? The night of his arrest he prayed so hard that this cup be taken from him that his sweat ran like drops of blood. Yes, Bill hicks is considered a martyr in some circles, but I never saw how it was about him either. Ranting and pointing his finger at everything but his heart? Jesus? Come on. He seldom ranted, rants have no real point or purpose, Jesus' speeches had both. His heart was always on his sleeve. The "to ascend you must die, you must be crucified, for our sins, GOOD BYE!!" is not what God told Jesus. Why would God tell Jesus that to ascend he must die for God's sins? The perspective is of the crowd once more, and their frenzy to have someone take the lead, to die if necessary, and once they do, Goodbye, later, adios, get off your fuckin cross because we need the space for the next guy. According to the story of Jesus, there was no next guy. Maynard uses the cross as a symbol we can recognize, and thats as far as it goes.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:11 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Paraflux has again shown that he is a mighty warrier!

Well... I think that Paraflux is on the right track. I do not know Maynards intentions on this song, of course, so neither can nor will accuse you others for being wrong.

But saying that Maynard sings directly to Jesus, is in my mind incorrect.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:51 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

I couldn't agree more that maynard is taking on different characters in this song. If this was not true, he would be contradicting himself many times, for he praised this martyr he was talking about and degrated him just as well.... on second thought maybe he was being sarcastic while he was praising him. Well, ok so im not so sure on that, but what i CAN say im SURE of is that Maynard doesnt hate jessus, he is allways saying he hates the middle men, i dont believe ive heard him say "jessus is a shit face" or something along those lines in an interview.

-SHITonME
Old 06-22-2003, 10:26 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

plain in simple, it's about mocking Jesus. I can't even believe that people are actually still confused about that song. It's blatant and obvious. Forget Hicks, it has nothing to do with him.

over analyzing...
Old 06-23-2003, 10:33 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

I am almost certain that this song is aimed towards Jesus and his diciples. Because remember that Jesus was not the only one who was crucified and
"showed us how you (they) weren't afraid to die"
Old 06-24-2003, 01:27 PM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 277
Quote:
Originally posted by Aureolei
plain in simple, it's about mocking Jesus. I can't even believe that people are actually still confused about that song. It's blatant and obvious. Forget Hicks, it has nothing to do with him.

over analyzing...
Plain and simple, there is more than one interpretation for almost every single song ever written. I don't think this song is about Jesus, but about any kind of dogmatic fanatics and insane leaders. It could easily be about Hitler or Stalin or Branch Dividians...
Old 06-25-2003, 02:19 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

gimme a freaking break

Quote:
Originally posted by reedc33
Plain and simple, there is more than one interpretation for almost every single song ever written. I don't think this song is about Jesus, but about any kind of dogmatic fanatics and insane leaders. It could easily be about Hitler or Stalin or Branch Dividians...

You don't believe this song is about Jesus... I'm really trying not to offend anyone but I really need to ask this: what the hell are you on man? It's black and white.

If it could be so easily be about Hitler, Stalin, or Branch dividians, how come they didn't get put on a cross like the song says? Metaphor? Coincidence? Not hardly, did you see stalin or hitler get crucified? No.

Damn people, use your heads, it's not that hard to figure out. Maynard would probably be pissed as well, like he gets when people are way off base on his songs. He dodged around the issue when asked about Eulogy in an interview because he'd be under scrutiny, and the same goes for some of these people that say things to pass the buck. It's a perfect display of religious intolerance and people will say things like "ohhh maybe it's a metaphor" because they don't want to be in the same catagory as he is in.

Here's another: "identifiy with someone above the ground" Gee, who could that be? God maybe? I dont recall seeing Hitler floating around in the air.

And who is the one person, in the entire history of the world, that said He would die for EVERYONE? (everyone being the key word here btw)? Jesus did.

"You've claimed all this time that you would die for me."

And the last one: "To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified " Name me one of your alternate candidates that ascended ?? Oh... maybe it's another metaphor. Please... grow a brain I hate to sound all hostile like that but when something -that naive- is said, I get like that.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:36 PM   #16
Level 10 - Vehement

Re: gimme a freaking break

Thank you for eliminating metaphors from the process of analysis. You have made things much simpler, or simplistic, I should say. I am not offended, I just don't see things as black and white anymore.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:44 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

I must say that to ignore metaphors as a literary device in poetry would be quite misleading and blind. In poetry especially, metaphor is one of the most crucial and prevalent methods of articulating a particular subject, and you can see heavy use of metaphor in nearly all of Maynard's lyrics. How about "Stinkfist" as a metaphor for the desensitization of society, or "Aenima" as a metaphor for the purging of society's shallowness, conceit, and greed? Or maybe you see that interpretation as ridiculous and believe that Tool actually thinks that California is going to fall off into the ocean and Arizona is going to become beach-front property.

Regarding "Eulogy," I don't believe that the song is directly about Jesus, but rather (as others have said) about anyone who is overly self-righteous and, when faced with a true trial, becomes indignant that they should be tested. I tend to think that Tool would not have malicious sentiments towards Jesus himself, as Jesus was not insincere, greedy, shallow, arrogant, a sheep, or anything that Tool seems to despise. However, much of organized religion that has attempted to follow in his spirit has fallen into these characteristics and are a false representation of Jesus' legacy.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:37 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

On the note that maynard would be "pissed" reading this, did you even read his quote before comming to this board? it says right there that as long as someone is inspired by what he says, even in a way that is unintended, he is happy with that. Words have differnet meanings for each individual. By saying its "black and white" that makes you very narrow minded.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:03 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Maynard probablly thinks it's a good thing that we are using our brains to come up with our own interpetations about TooL's songs even if they are off base. At least we're not sheep following the herd. Because thats what TooL against. And I hate to bring up an over used quote but this is not "over thinking, over analyzing". I think everybody should have their own PERSONAL interpetation of Tool's songs and that's what it's about. Just because it may not be what Maynard was feeling or thinking doesn't make it wrong. As long as we are inspired. That is "thinking for yourself" and "reflecting" information in a personal way.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:06 AM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

Metaphores...Who Needs Metaphores?

This is a response to an earlier post by Aureolei...Not to retread what others have said, but seriously...no metaphore? The entire song is a metaphore. And besides, hasn't Maynard said, and isn't Tool about, having people think for themselves? Would they really write this song to be so plain and obvious? If you take it at face value, then you listen to the song once and you've got the whole thing, it would erase the depth. Tool uses metaphores all the time. Tool encourages us to think. I think it is simplifying way too much to say that "Eulogy" is exactly what it says it is.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:25 AM   #21
Level 10 - Vehement

Re: Metaphores...Who Needs Metaphores?

Quote:
Originally posted by NowImNothing
This is a response to an earlier post by Aureolei....
I hope we didn't scare Aureolei away.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:33 PM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

Ok if so, what's with the Judith lyrics from APC? That singled out one God and one faith, and guess who wrote it.. yeah.

Wanna retract now? No crap there's mataphors. I guess the obvious isn't too obvious for some.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:16 AM   #23
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aureolei
You don't believe this song is about Jesus... I'm really trying not to offend anyone but I really need to ask this: what the hell are you on man? It's black and white.

If it could be so easily be about Hitler, Stalin, or Branch dividians, how come they didn't get put on a cross like the song says? Metaphor? Coincidence? Not hardly, did you see stalin or hitler get crucified? No.

Damn people, use your heads, it's not that hard to figure out. Maynard would probably be pissed as well, like he gets when people are way off base on his songs. He dodged around the issue when asked about Eulogy in an interview because he'd be under scrutiny, and the same goes for some of these people that say things to pass the buck. It's a perfect display of religious intolerance and people will say things like "ohhh maybe it's a metaphor" because they don't want to be in the same catagory as he is in.

Here's another: "identifiy with someone above the ground" Gee, who could that be? God maybe? I dont recall seeing Hitler floating around in the air.

And who is the one person, in the entire history of the world, that said He would die for EVERYONE? (everyone being the key word here btw)? Jesus did.

"You've claimed all this time that you would die for me."

And the last one: "To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified " Name me one of your alternate candidates that ascended ?? Oh... maybe it's another metaphor. Please... grow a brain I hate to sound all hostile like that but when something -that naive- is said, I get like that.
If you read some of my other posts in this thread and others in the Eulogy section you should find that you should be careful who you tell to "grow a brain." That's just ignorant.

Metaphor. Look it up, they have lots of uses. Who is naive? Why must you take everything so literal? Lots of christians do that to the Bible and it irritates me to no end.

Sum up (because I hate to rehash) - Maynard uses the example of Christ, as he often does, to illustrate his point about sheep following blindly as well as to make fun of people who allow themselves to be put on a pedestal.

Judith is the name of Maynard's mom. Apparently she tried to teach him many christian teachings. That is why the one god and one faith is used. What other one did he have to talk to his mom about? She wasnt into Hinduism, I dont think.

How old are you?

edit: This just annoys me. Its also a little amusing, but very annoying that someone could barge in here and start telling everyone they are wrong, when part of the message of the band we love is that there doesnt have to be a right and wrong, there doesnt have to be a black and white. You dont want to offend... and then you ask someone what the hell they are on. You DO want to offend, obviously. Your entire tone is condescending.

"Identify with someone above the ground."
- If I stand on a chair I am above the ground. If a preacher stands on a pulpit he is above the ground.
"To ascend you must die, you must be crucified"
- I have ascended in my consciousness, very far from where I started 8 years ago. How I did this was by crucifying my ego, as otherwise stated in the song "Reflection" which you may or may not be familiar with.

You list Eulogy as your least favorite Tool song. Why then is this so damned important to you that you feel the need to talk down to everyone simply because they have progressed past the point where you are?

Last edited by paraflux; 07-10-2003 at 10:31 AM..
Old 07-12-2003, 01:35 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Well done Paraflux!
Take note Aureolei: Nothing is black and white like you say. I'm sure everyone wants to hear your opinion, but not in a hostile way like you've just put it. See how many people you've pissed off because of it? Not a good idea really...
Old 07-12-2003, 09:19 AM   #25
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Please... grow a brain I hate to sound all hostile like that but when something -that naive- is said, I get like that.
I tried to grow a brain, but it wouldn't take. It seems like most people agree, you are the one who is being naive(I am all for having different views here, but after reading some of your other posts, I think you are very intolerant).

Jesus Christ! Do the lyrics say someone hovering above the ground? The image I get when I hear this line is one of a leader speaking above a crowd, on a stage or pedestal. To me it isn't about Christ because the image of Christ never enters my mind as I listen to this song. I personally see an American politician or a Hitler like character, trying to identify with someone who will blindly believe in their cause!

Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice so strong and loud and I
(who had a voice that was strong and loud, you fucking idiot? Hitler?)
Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so
Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,
Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone who would die for me.

Perhaps your faith isn't as strong as you would like us to believe. You don't have to be defensive about something that you truly believe in, do you?

Will you? Will you now?
Would you die for me?
Don't you fuckin lie.

Don't you step out of line.
Don't you fuckin lie.

You've claimed all this time that you would die for me.
Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?

You had alot to say.
You had alot of nothing to say.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:58 AM   #26
Banned.

I don't think its a statement against Jesus, I doubt Maynard and the guys would openly insult Jesus like that, whether or not they believe in Jesus. It might be a statement against the Church, saying that they are basically capitalizing on Jesus's myth.....hmmm I don't know exactly.

I think its rather symbolic about discovering something you believed in was actually fake, and knowing that its fake, leads to the death of it, without "divinity" and rightfully so.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:27 AM   #27
Banned.

Re: Eulogy of Jesus Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaser
I don't think its a statement against Jesus, I doubt Maynard and the guys would openly insult Jesus like that, whether or not they believe in Jesus. It might be a statement against the Church, saying that they are basically capitalizing on Jesus's myth.....hmmm I don't know exactly.

I think its rather symbolic about discovering something you believed in was actually fake, and knowing that its fake, leads to the death of it, without "divinity" and rightfully so.

What they insult is people who would follow what some minister or preacher say WHAT JESUS MEANT. If it is so important to you, think about it yourself. It's fine to have influences, as Tool are one of mine, but the difference between Tool and a preacher is that Tool isnt preaching, they are teaching us to teach ourselves. Why all the outlandish pranks and false news and just generally fucking with the fans? To keep us on our toes, to keep us questioning.

Aureolei -
This ground is not the rock I...
I thought it would be!!!!

-Flood (Undertow)
Old 07-23-2003, 10:15 PM   #28
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
Why would God tell Jesus that to ascend he must die for God's sins? The perspective is of the crowd once more, and their frenzy to have someone take the lead, to die if necessary, and once they do, Goodbye, later, adios, get off your fuckin cross because we need the space for the next guy. According to the story of Jesus, there was no next guy. Maynard uses the cross as a symbol we can recognize, and thats as far as it goes.
It is depicted in many biblical stories that God told Jesus he would have to die in order to save the people from their sins. As for "get off your fucking cross..." the next guy (messiah) could be held for a different religious perspective such as Jewish Religions (where the messiah is still being searched for). Basically I see this song as the band displaying their hate for organized religion. (the Catholic Church is the richest business in the world... If it was considered a business (which I do)). I see tool as a religious band, but not so in a documented form. I may be wrong but I believe they have followed up on Timothy Leary's adivce of "Creating Your Own Religion". This is only an opinion nothing else...
Old 07-24-2003, 06:21 AM   #29
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paluka
It is depicted in many biblical stories that God told Jesus he would have to die in order to save the people from their sins. As for "get off your fucking cross..." the next guy (messiah) could be held for a different religious perspective such as Jewish Religions (where the messiah is still being searched for). Basically I see this song as the band displaying their hate for organized religion. (the Catholic Church is the richest business in the world... If it was considered a business (which I do)). I see tool as a religious band, but not so in a documented form. I may be wrong but I believe they have followed up on Timothy Leary's adivce of "Creating Your Own Religion". This is only an opinion nothing else...

I dont think the band hates anyone or anything. Thinking something is despicable is one thing, actually spending energy hating something is usually fruitless. After all, the famous Maynard quote, "Anger is constructive, hatred is not."

If you are confused, read my post again. I said why would God tell Jesus that he would have to die for GOD's sins?
Old 07-25-2003, 07:26 AM   #30
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I agree with you man. This song isn't about jebus. It's about how people say thing to exploit you or to gain your trust
Old 08-10-2003, 11:52 AM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
When I first heard the song I asked who it was about, and my knowledgable Tool friend told me that it was about Bill Hicks, but some of the lyrics keep leading me back to think it simply must be about Jesus. Here are the lyrics and why I think they are about him

"You told us how you weren't afraid to die.
Well then, so long."
--Jesus always claimed he would have to die for us, even though he was in fact afraid of this fact, it is often represented that he wasn't

"Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried."
-- Bill Hicks was never considered a martyr (or was he)

"Ranting and pointing his finger
At everything but his heart."
-- Jesus Christ was always dealing with other people's problems, when he himself was facing the biggest problem of all, knowing that he would have to be crucified

"Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone who would die for me."

"You've claimed all this time that you would die for me.
Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy"
--Bill Hicks never claimed to die for anybody

"Come down.
Get off your fuckin cross.
We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr."
--Well I mean it doesnt get much more obvious that this, this is what seals it for me, that it must be referring to Jesus

"To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified"
--That was the deal God told Jesus, he had to go down to earth to die for our sins, and then he would on the third day ascend to Heaven

Not to mention the fact that it is a very negative Eulogy and Tool only had respect for Bill Hicks so why would they start bashing him.

Andy

I think you are on the right track. Although this song's lyrics can be taken metaphorically, this song defines Jesus.

"Would you die for me? Don't you fucking lie!"
Is it so hard to believe Jesus did not die on the cross?

There are facts that state otherwise. Back in his day, could he have not fled to some place? let's say, France? Or is it more likely that he floated up to the sky on a cloud?

Is it hard to believe that a man could be attracted to and fall in love with a women? Then why not Mary Magdelene?

To doubters and christians alike, I suggest you look up the "Rennes-Le-Chateu". Just because you have heard the same story your whole life does not mean you should not question it.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:48 PM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

The very first time I heard this song, Jesus was not who I thought of. As a matter of fact, I have never thought about Jesus anytime I listen to this song. To me this song is about people who put themselves, or have been put there by others, on a soap box and try to make other people believe that they are something that they are not. It is about people (sheeple) who are too willing to believe the lies that the elite tell them. It is about people who want so bad to "be someone" that they will sacrifice themselves for something that is useless. Just because he says "to ascend you must die. you must be crucified" does not make it about Jesus. You have to listen to the song, not just hear it. You have to think about it. This song is not about any one person, it is about the many people who have done things to "be someone", to make themselves seem greater than they are.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:14 PM   #33
Banned.

Bincount™: 19
Does anyone see the humour in this song?

Maynard says christains follow jesus just because "he had a voice that was strong and loud," and then all you people start to agree with Maynard. Tell me again why you even know about Maynard's opinions.

Paraflux was pretty much right, though. Maynard just wants people to think for themselves . . . or make asses of themselves so that he can write songs about them.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:43 AM   #34
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

different mouths, same bullshit coming out of them...

I don't care if the first time you heard this song, or anytime you hear this song, jesus does not come to mind. That does not mean that this song is not about him.

I don't have to tell you again why I know Maynard's opinions. You don't see what I see, hear what I hear, know what I know. Why should I spoon feed you? You are to lazy to study history and find out the truth on your own. Oh, but if you did, then you would see you are making an ass out of yourself, and you would not want that, now would you?

You take this metaphorical shit to far. Some things did actually happen, truth is reality, that is why your dumb ass is here today.
You take the "Think for yourself" quote to far, over questioning.

Stop comparing this song to yourself, or any one else in the present or not to distant past without first knowing your history.
You only see the present, because instead of thinking for your self, you think only about yourself and your lifetime. You don't know anything about the past, so keep listening to your sunday school teachers, history teachers, freinds, whoever, and feed off their dumb ass veiws instead of picking up a shovel and digging for your self.

Go ahead, be a Hypocrite. Oh, you still don't understand? How about I speak your language then, "BAHHHH, BB- BHAHHHHH, BAAAAAHHH!" No, seriously, free the sheep.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #35
Level 10 - Vehement

Re: different mouths, same bullshit coming out of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca22
I don't care if the first time you heard this song, or anytime you hear this song, jesus does not come to mind. That does not mean that this song is not about him.

I don't have to tell you again why I know Maynard's opinions. You don't see what I see, hear what I hear, know what I know. Why should I spoon feed you? You are to lazy to study history and find out the truth on your own. Oh, but if you did, then you would see you are making an ass out of yourself, and you would not want that, now would you?

You take this metaphorical shit to far. Some things did actually happen, truth is reality, that is why your dumb ass is here today.

Stop comparing this song to yourself, or any one else in the present or not to distant past without first knowing your history.
You only see the present, because instead of thinking for your self, you think only about yourself and your lifetime. You don't know anything about the past, so keep listening to your sunday school teachers, history teachers, freinds, whoever, and feed off their dumb ass veiws instead of picking up a shovel and digging for your self.

Go ahead, be a Hypocrite. Oh, you still don't understand? How about I speak your language then, "BAHHHH, BB- BHAHHHHH, BAAAAAHHH!" No, seriously, free the sheep.
Who are you talking to?
Old 08-16-2003, 01:41 PM   #36
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: different mouths, same bullshit coming out of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca22

Hahahaha... you are funny. Since when are people able to know other people opinons unless they are published someplace? And unless you are him, then I would guess that you are just blowing smoke out your ass. And you know I really don't want anyone to spoon feed me, I like my opinons and don't really care if you agree with them or not. I don't know how you can propose to know someone else's opinons when you are not them, but I will tell you this, you gave me one hell of a laugh....you said a lot of crap and never really said anything at all.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:16 AM   #37
Banned.

I would find it amusing too, if it wasnt for the fact that this defines one of the problems we face today as a race. Thats fine Rebecca, if you would like to keep your head where its at (some might say it was in your ass, others might not), but just like you said, you dont see what I see, hear what I hear, and most certainly do not know what I know. Some things did actually happen??? Are you sure about this? I dont know, it seems that some things might not have happened. But I dont know, because I wasnt there. But apparently you were, so you enlighten us all and tell us what color Jesus' hair was. And which hand he used to wipe his ass? Did he shit sugary-crystalled rose petals? No? Are you sure? Because, see, you werent there.

You preach that people take the think for yourself thing too far and then call us all sheep. That makes more sense than anything else I have ever heard. Rock on.

Too Lazy to study the past? What the fuck does that have to do with anything? Sure, there is a book thats 2000 years old that some people base their entire lives on, which I have studied cover to cover, is that what you mean? Because I will still tell you that Maynard is using Christ as an example to get his main point across. If you want to go on thinking its about Jesus, and thats it, fine. It obviously suits your purpose. This thread was not for people to come in and start bashing those who think differently. No one bashed you till now.

For those of you wanting to explore the higher dimensions of this song, by all means continue.

Last edited by paraflux; 08-18-2003 at 07:24 AM..
Old 08-21-2003, 09:43 PM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

Not about Jesus...

The lyrics simply don't fit. Such phrases as "waiving and pointing his finger at everything but his heart." Jesus was never judgemental (except to the pharasees for THEIR hypocrisy), and was always loving, patient and kind. "It was SOO LOUD, he sure could YELL." Come on, do you honestly think Jesus ranted and raved and yelled? I don't think so, neither the Bible nor historical accounts suggest it. Also, he knew he would have to die, but he never openly told anyone, not even his disciples, that he was going to die for their sins. Also, Jesus wasn't a false messiah, he did die and was ressurrected, unlike say Jim Jones or David Koresh. I think this song is about false prophets such as those mentioned and basically anyone who takes something pure, such as Jesus' teachings, and skews them to his own ends. I understand why some of you people are angry and want to blame someone like Jesus, because it's easy to blame someone who doesn't fight back, but I think Jesus only did good for the world. It's people like Pope Innocent III (the crusades) and all those sick clergymen who raped and molested children that you should be angry at. Wear your grudges like crowns, but wear them wisely...
Old 08-25-2003, 10:59 AM   #39
Banned.

Getting back to intelligence...

If you can hear the anger, see if you can find it directed at the followers, in the form of mockery, instead of at the leader. The viewpoint is always from the followers, from beginning to end, and if you imagine watching a movie with these people saying these things, you might even find humor in the absurdity of what they are saying. But if you listen in the world today, you will hear some of these same exact words being said about new leaders.

I think it is a mockery of the sheep more than a angry tirade against false prophets or false leaders. They wouldnt exist if not for the stupidity of the followers.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:37 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Ok if so, what's with the Judith lyrics from APC? That singled out one God and one faith, and guess who wrote it.. yeah.
In Judith, Maynard sings "fuck your God, your Lord, your Christ". That's not synonymous to "fuck God, fuck Christ". am I getting hard to follow?

Maynard himself said in an interview that it wasn't about "THE god", but about a certain person's personal beliefs. see it as "fuck YOUR god, YOUR lord, YOUR christ".

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: