opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Sober
User Name
Password
Old 08-12-2004, 10:46 AM   #1
Walker of Dissonant Worlds

Bincount™: 770
Fear

I think that what's inside of the box, is a fear that the little man has. He has put it i na box, tied it up, and puts it in the floorboards to keep it away. But, he opens it up and faces his fear eventually, and until then, he is restless. Or, perhaps it something bad he's done, like a murder or something, and it's on his concious, so he puts it in the box and keeps opening it to remind him of what he's done.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:45 PM   #2
Banned at user request

Bincount™: 4029
Re: Fear

I think we have had the same thought a couple of times. Try to find it somewhere between the Threads here in this Section.

I thing you are right though. I think the man is facing his fears in the box. He cannot resist the fact that something has happened that he fears so much.
I also thought about; how this box could held somthing that he loves but lost. Like a loved one or an emotion, a feeling. He opens the box to see/feel it.

This is one of the biggest mysteries. I really love this video. It's my fave.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:25 PM   #3

Yeah. Maybe the box held love. He opens it to remember what he once had or something. What about the chair though? I don't quite understand that part. Why does he always levitate?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:13 AM   #4
Banned at user request

I dont know. The chair symbolises something that can lift him into the air. Most people look to the sky/air because they look for something that never excisted, or to find some kind of peace. Air cant be touched.

I think this video has the most secrets of all Tool video's. That is something that I really love about this one. I dont know the answers to alot of things that happen in it. Though, I do have some clue what the video is about (my interpretation).
Old 08-13-2004, 10:27 AM   #5

What's your interpretation?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:44 AM   #6
Banned at user request

Well, I said it pretty much. I'm not feeling to get into it all too deep with others. I feel as if this video has some special meaning to me. I do think that the box hides/holds something from the person. I think he may be afraid to lose it. That's why he tights it with a robe.

I think the video pretty much reflects the inner beauty of the lyrics. I think you dont need to take the lyrics all to literal, but more like a metaphor.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #7

So your interpretation of the song is about a personal matter? Maybe the video is made so you can relate with it, kind of like what you said you are doing.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:26 AM   #8
Banned at user request

Probably. I try to find a personal matter in all songs of Tool. Sober is just the only video I can relate to on a personal level.

I just have 1 little question about the video. Do you know what the guy with the walking telescope means?!
Old 08-14-2004, 08:09 AM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 9

My favourite video. Paranoia and Fucked up human/machine/house cross over experiments all in twisted stop animation. I should be a subtitlist. awe... love making up words...
Old 08-14-2004, 08:26 AM   #10
Banned at user request

First of: Welcome to the boards dude(tte).

Then; You are right. The house is really freaky. It's extremely dark shaped and you see one part where the character looks around the corner into a long hallway that it feints. Or at least, something like that.

Another sppoky thing is the guy behind the glass. I think that reflects some kind of mirror, shows the inside of the main character.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:42 AM   #11

Yeah, the house is pretty delapatated.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:01 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

i thinnk that the box is a drug of some sort, he opens it up and gets high (the levitating chair could symbolize that). and the lyrics fit that to "i will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down" thats the drug talking. threwought the song and video he is trying to quit the addiction, it even appears that the little man is going threw withdrawls on his bed when he starts shaking.

one scene that is very powerful and the meaning is blunt, is when hes wondering the halls, mayby searching for somthing... ne way he comes to a place where theres two paths, one which is lighted and the other is dark, he looks to the light then looks to the dark, but when he trys to go to the light again, the light goes out, at which poin he slumps down. symbolizing the battle between the part of him that wants to quit the drug and the addiction.

the are many other parts that lend themselfs to this explanation
Old 08-14-2004, 03:05 PM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

[QUOTE=Prison Sex]Yeah. Maybe the box held love. He opens it to remember what he once had or something. What about the chair though? I don't quite understand that part. Why does he always levitate?[/QUOTE]

he opens the box to get high

he levitates because hes getting high
Old 08-14-2004, 03:11 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

[QUOTE=Windir]First of: Welcome to the boards dude(tte).

Then; You are right. The house is really freaky. It's extremely dark shaped and you see one part where the character looks around the corner into a long hallway that it feints. Or at least, something like that.

Another sppoky thing is the guy behind the glass. I think that reflects some kind of mirror, shows the inside of the main character.[/QUOTE]

or that could be the drug dealer (let me know if my interpretation makes any sence to you guys, it sure as hell does to me)
Old 08-14-2004, 08:57 PM   #15
Banned at user request

[QUOTE=ÆNIMA69][b]i thinnk that the box is a drug of some sort, he opens it up and gets high (the levitating chair could symbolize that). and the lyrics fit that to "i will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down" thats the drug talking. threwought the song and video he is trying to quit the addiction, it even appears that the little man is going threw withdrawls on his bed when he starts shaking.

one scene that is very powerful and the meaning is blunt, is when hes wondering the halls, mayby searching for somthing... ne way he comes to a place where theres two paths, one which is lighted and the other is dark, he looks to the light then looks to the dark, but when he trys to go to the light again, the light goes out, at which poin he slumps down. symbolizing the battle between the part of him that wants to quit the drug and the addiction.

the are many other parts that lend themselfs to this explanation[/b][/QUOTE]

I've seen this interpretation far too many times with Tool video's and songs that I dont really give a shit about it anymore. I dont think that Tool's music has anything to do with drugs, not the slicest (sp?) bit.

I think that Tool is more about the life that is underneath a person. The emotions and feelings that a person carries around his whole life, maybe not knowing that the feelings/thoughts/emotions are there in the first place.
I can prove that too; I know that aot of people felt new feelings, thought about new things that they never felt/thought before they heard a Tool song.

But drugs, sorry mate. I just cant believe they sing about that.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: