Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
05-05-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcM_Emperor
How many shows in the APC tour did you see?
two. but i downloaded like 15 at the apc.net website when it was still up.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #41
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76
Re: Tool getting older

Quote:
How many shows in the APC tour did you see?
HalfASandwidch
05-05-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
More frequently? This happened in TWO shows that he saw, do you honestly believe Maynard never had a few cracks and mistakes in two back to back shows?
Do YOU honestly think this is helping you prove a point?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33

Quote:
More frequently? This happened in TWO shows that he saw, do you honestly believe Maynard never had a few cracks and mistakes in two back to back shows?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody
Well I wish I could download them all to see if by "a lot" you meant four times spread over 15 shows.

He made quite a few screw-ups during the aenima tour, but that must have been due to him being too young?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #43
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Well I wish I could download them all to see if by "a lot" you meant four times spread over 15 shows.

He made quite a few screw-ups during the aenima tour, but that must have been due to him being too young?
tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfASandwidch
Uh, obviously it is. If your definition of "more frequently" is based off two shows where he made a few screw-ups then your argument is terrible. As I've said, he's made cracks/mistakes plenty of times in the aenima and lateralus tour.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfASandwidch
Uh, obviously it is. If your definition of "more frequently" is based off two shows where he made a few screw-ups then your argument is terrible. As I've said, he's made cracks/mistakes plenty of times in the aenima and lateralus tour.
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
05-05-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:

no, I mean like every show his voice cracked at least once. ;)
Old 05-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #45
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

tcM_Emperor
05-05-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I wish I could see those, because I've downloaded dozens of clips of either one song or a few or more songs from APC tours and I havn't seen him screw up once ;)
Old 05-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #46

Quote:
I wish I could see those, because I've downloaded dozens of clips of either one song or a few or more songs from APC tours and I havn't seen him screw up once ;)
The Dharma Bum
05-05-2006, 01:09 PM

Wow, his voice cracked? next someone is going to say that he shits after eating. Please don't tell me the Messiah is human.

Of course they have aged, I'd say about five years.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #47

Bincount™: 1

Wow, his voice cracked? next someone is going to say that he shits after eating. Please don't tell me the Messiah is human.

Bloody's Avatar Bloody
05-05-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dharma Bum

five years exactly! how'd you know? lol
Old 05-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #48
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dharma Bum

five years exactly! how'd you know? lol
ifrigginghatethis
05-05-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
I've seen two shows so far on the mini tour, and I know this is a warmup, designed to give the band a chance to practice before hitting the world with a huge tour. BUT, here are some things common to the first 3 shows so far:

Maynards voice cracking during more challenging singing parts (Sober, Schism, etc). I have seen him a dozen times before and never once did i hear his voice crack like that, the only time I hear something like that is when *I* try to sing along.

Maynard notably less active onstage. I remember the first time I saw them, I was mezmerized by how he moved to the music. Very unique. Bending over backwards, swaying, etc. Now he seems much more relaxed and un animated. He is talking more than usual though, maybe to compensate?

Singers don't usually hold up over time, think of other great tenors, many of them have had to call it quits before their 50s because the vocal cords just aren't as loose as they once were.

I wish they called it quits after lateralus, it would have been a good way to end. I mean, they have to end it someday. And ending it on Lateralus would have made a good legacy. I think if they continue along the same track as 10k days we're in store for some utter shitwipe albums in the future. Maynard is visibly put out by being with the band. He only spent 12 months making this album -- watch the recent mtv interview. In light of this fact, I'm not surprised by the way the album turned out. That is absolutely no time at all. The other band members deserve way more than that. Personally, I enjoy Maynard's voice, but it's his personality that makes him distinctive--and that doesnt matter for shit when it comes to making music. It would probably be a better idea for the band to go separate ways. Maynard is more interested in making wine than music, and I would hate to see him ruin the band by influencing them to move in a shitty direction.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #49

Bincount™: 63

Quote:
I've seen two shows so far on the mini tour, and I know this is a warmup, designed to give the band a chance to practice before hitting the world with a huge tour. BUT, here are some things common to the first 3 shows so far:

Maynards voice cracking during more challenging singing parts (Sober, Schism, etc). I have seen him a dozen times before and never once did i hear his voice crack like that, the only time I hear something like that is when *I* try to sing along.

Maynard notably less active onstage. I remember the first time I saw them, I was mezmerized by how he moved to the music. Very unique. Bending over backwards, swaying, etc. Now he seems much more relaxed and un animated. He is talking more than usual though, maybe to compensate?

Singers don't usually hold up over time, think of other great tenors, many of them have had to call it quits before their 50s because the vocal cords just aren't as loose as they once were.

I wish they called it quits after lateralus, it would have been a good way to end. I mean, they have to end it someday. And ending it on Lateralus would have made a good legacy. I think if they continue along the same track as 10k days we're in store for some utter shitwipe albums in the future. Maynard is visibly put out by being with the band. He only spent 12 months making this album -- watch the recent mtv interview. In light of this fact, I'm not surprised by the way the album turned out. That is absolutely no time at all. The other band members deserve way more than that. Personally, I enjoy Maynard's voice, but it's his personality that makes him distinctive--and that doesnt matter for shit when it comes to making music. It would probably be a better idea for the band to go separate ways. Maynard is more interested in making wine than music, and I would hate to see him ruin the band by influencing them to move in a shitty direction.
#1raiderfan
05-05-2006, 01:51 PM

look, i think you are being a little too critical of the band, who gives a shit? Its alot nicer when you see them maybe once or twice a tour, but ive noticed that every so called "hardcore" tool fan that has seen them like 15 or 20 times, take those shows for granted. So they are alot more critical, next time you go, try not to be so critical, and enjoy yourself like it was your first tool show. you'll thank me
Old 05-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

look, i think you are being a little too critical of the band, who gives a shit? Its alot nicer when you see them maybe once or twice a tour, but ive noticed that every so called "hardcore" tool fan that has seen them like 15 or 20 times, take those shows for granted. So they are alot more critical, next time you go, try not to be so critical, and enjoy yourself like it was your first tool show. you'll thank me
jakethesnake
05-05-2006, 01:58 PM

I saw him at the Providence RI show back in '02. He fucked up the lyrics on Parabola, which was a song that he had sung for over a year of straight touring. Then the threw his mic down and sat.

The crowd sung the rest of the song for him.

http://toolshed.down.net/tour/summer02/020817.html

Here are the reviews for the show, 8 or 9 down is one from

MJK ([email protected])

I wonder if it's the real maynard...?

Anyway, moral is, people screw up. Obviously he's getting older, but he's clearly not losing his voice yet.

Last edited by jakethesnake; 05-05-2006 at 02:02 PM..
Old 05-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #51
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I saw him at the Providence RI show back in '02. He fucked up the lyrics on Parabola, which was a song that he had sung for over a year of straight touring. Then the threw his mic down and sat.

The crowd sung the rest of the song for him.

http://toolshed.down.net/tour/summer02/020817.html

Here are the reviews for the show, 8 or 9 down is one from

MJK ([email protected])

I wonder if it's the real maynard...?

Anyway, moral is, people screw up. Obviously he's getting older, but he's clearly not losing his voice yet.

Last edited by jakethesnake; 05-05-2006 at 02:02 PM..
Dungflowers
05-05-2006, 03:32 PM

Had this same discussion a few years back about Thom Yorke's (Radiohead) voice, and at first it was based on a performance prior to the release of Kid A. His voice cracked frequently and he couldn't hit the intense notes he used to. Everyone thought he was just rusty and needed time to get back to the Thom of old. Show after show after show you could hear it get noticeably worse. Its leveled off now, but his voice will of course never be the same. I call it the Steven Tyler syndrome.

Now basing Maynard's vocal decline off of one show is a bit ridiculous. Lets hear how he sounds throughout the tour and THEN make an assumption on his vocal abilitites. Oddly enough I read somewhere that male voices tend to hit their prime in the mid 40's, so go figure...
Old 05-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

Had this same discussion a few years back about Thom Yorke's (Radiohead) voice, and at first it was based on a performance prior to the release of Kid A. His voice cracked frequently and he couldn't hit the intense notes he used to. Everyone thought he was just rusty and needed time to get back to the Thom of old. Show after show after show you could hear it get noticeably worse. Its leveled off now, but his voice will of course never be the same. I call it the Steven Tyler syndrome.

Now basing Maynard's vocal decline off of one show is a bit ridiculous. Lets hear how he sounds throughout the tour and THEN make an assumption on his vocal abilitites. Oddly enough I read somewhere that male voices tend to hit their prime in the mid 40's, so go figure...
05-05-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:

i'll make up my own mind when i see them in nyc but if what you say is true about maynard then it's kind of sad.

i think he has one of the most amazing voices that i've heard (the plain beauty of it even when he sings in anger).

and i'm just happy that i've had the opportunity to own music made by him and the rest of tool and to have watched him with his different bands the 10 or so times i've seen them.

kamyar.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #53
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

Quote:

i'll make up my own mind when i see them in nyc but if what you say is true about maynard then it's kind of sad.

i think he has one of the most amazing voices that i've heard (the plain beauty of it even when he sings in anger).

and i'm just happy that i've had the opportunity to own music made by him and the rest of tool and to have watched him with his different bands the 10 or so times i've seen them.

kamyar.
moneyisevil's Avatar moneyisevil
05-05-2006, 04:01 PM

maynards lost it, he wears a fucken cowboy hat for christs sake....like stang said...undertow maynard wouldnt be having any of this
Old 05-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #54
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

maynards lost it, he wears a fucken cowboy hat for christs sake....like stang said...undertow maynard wouldnt be having any of this
YouSirAreAnIdiot's Avatar YouSirAreAnIdiot
05-05-2006, 04:17 PM

All of you are pathetic. Case closed.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #55
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

All of you are pathetic. Case closed.
05-05-2006, 04:29 PM

Some singers lose it with age, like Robert Plant, but others get better.
Sinatra was at his absolute peak in his late fifties, so it's dependent on the person and singing style.
I've seen Maynard miss notes in concert as far back as 95, so it's nothing new.
Remember, what's on the album is the one perfect take after hundreds of attempts, so it's unlikely that he'll ever be able to truly reproduce it live.
I haven't heard one recording from the Lateralus tour where he pulled off the scream in The Grudge.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:29 PM   #56
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Some singers lose it with age, like Robert Plant, but others get better.
Sinatra was at his absolute peak in his late fifties, so it's dependent on the person and singing style.
I've seen Maynard miss notes in concert as far back as 95, so it's nothing new.
Remember, what's on the album is the one perfect take after hundreds of attempts, so it's unlikely that he'll ever be able to truly reproduce it live.
I haven't heard one recording from the Lateralus tour where he pulled off the scream in The Grudge.
Reagunn
05-05-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungflowers
Oddly enough I read somewhere that male voices tend to hit their prime in the mid 40's, so go figure...
They do and not just men, but that referes to resonance and tone.
I can hear it on 10000 Days, the singing is clearer, more harmoniuis and complex, but he may be losing his ability to hold those screams as that's not a condition of his voice, but his lung capcity and fitness.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:34 PM   #57
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungflowers
Oddly enough I read somewhere that male voices tend to hit their prime in the mid 40's, so go figure...
They do and not just men, but that referes to resonance and tone.
I can hear it on 10000 Days, the singing is clearer, more harmoniuis and complex, but he may be losing his ability to hold those screams as that's not a condition of his voice, but his lung capcity and fitness.
HateSolstice
05-05-2006, 04:42 PM

You people are insane. Instead of being thankful for the fact that you have seen them live at all, you're arguing about Maynard getting on(even if he is only 42). I only wish and dream that I had the capacity and funds to see them live. That'd be the experience of a lifetime for me. But I also appreciate Tool for more than just bad ass songs.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #58
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

You people are insane. Instead of being thankful for the fact that you have seen them live at all, you're arguing about Maynard getting on(even if he is only 42). I only wish and dream that I had the capacity and funds to see them live. That'd be the experience of a lifetime for me. But I also appreciate Tool for more than just bad ass songs.
05-05-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
at least they arent getting younger

thatd be pretty wierd
I think there was a star trek episode where there was a species that did this.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #59
Fap

Bincount™: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
at least they arent getting younger

thatd be pretty wierd
Reagunn
05-05-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fap
Na-noo, Na-noo.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #60
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fap
Na-noo, Na-noo.
trixie
05-05-2006, 05:07 PM

Maynard's voice cracked when APC performed on The Tonight Show.

It made me smile but, personally I don't care. His voice cracking is better than most singers on a good day.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

It made me smile but, personally I don't care. His voice cracking is better than most singers on a good day.
05-05-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie

it didn't crack on the tonight show.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #62
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

trixie
05-05-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Yes it did. In the last part, the long yell... it cracked.
Got it on TiVo, seen it 50+ It was right before he had to cancel a show or some shows for his voice problems/being sick.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #63
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Got it on TiVo, seen it 50+ It was right before he had to cancel a show or some shows for his voice problems/being sick.
05-05-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
If i could hear it again that'd be good. I don't remember that though.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #64
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
If i could hear it again that'd be good. I don't remember that though.
Satan's Caulk
05-05-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:

First off....Maynard is not tenor. Jose Cura, Rolando Villazon, Andsnes Bostridge, those are tenors. Maynard is a rock singer. Regardless, the male voice reaches it's prime at age 35 but tenors/baritones/basses sing well into their 60's if they really wanted to. I believe he just has to get used to live singing again. But he's not really a trained singer so maybe it is harder to sustain that "type" of tone and upper range without proper technique. Look at fucking Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden though, he's getting up there. What? He's in his late 50's and he fucking belts it still. I've seen Iron Maiden live a few times and Number of the Beast and the like he just wails on those high notes.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #65
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

First off....Maynard is not tenor. Jose Cura, Rolando Villazon, Andsnes Bostridge, those are tenors. Maynard is a rock singer. Regardless, the male voice reaches it's prime at age 35 but tenors/baritones/basses sing well into their 60's if they really wanted to. I believe he just has to get used to live singing again. But he's not really a trained singer so maybe it is harder to sustain that "type" of tone and upper range without proper technique. Look at fucking Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden though, he's getting up there. What? He's in his late 50's and he fucking belts it still. I've seen Iron Maiden live a few times and Number of the Beast and the like he just wails on those high notes.
2and46's Avatar 2and46
05-05-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah because, judging them based off one show when they havn't played live in 3.5 years gives you the ability to make an accurate assesment of the band's current state.
Thank you!...why are there so many fucking negative posts? By the way, there are 3 other members who also kick ass. Danny is like 47 years old. Does he think he sucks too? These men "of age" can show a thing or two to most of these shit-head young bands. Give me a break!
Old 05-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #66
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Quote:
Yeah because, judging them based off one show when they havn't played live in 3.5 years gives you the ability to make an accurate assesment of the band's current state.
Thank you!...why are there so many fucking negative posts? By the way, there are 3 other members who also kick ass. Danny is like 47 years old. Does he think he sucks too? These men "of age" can show a thing or two to most of these shit-head young bands. Give me a break!
cant_be_faded's Avatar cant_be_faded
05-05-2006, 05:55 PM

Does every thread in this forum end up an argument like this?
"Why does God not blot out the sun?"

www.fozlur.com
Old 05-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #67
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

www.fozlur.com
Cynical/Sarcastic
05-05-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant_be_faded
Yes. Unless you wish to engage in circle-jerking.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #68
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant_be_faded
Yes. Unless you wish to engage in circle-jerking.
05-05-2006, 06:05 PM

Well it just seems like some people like being assholes for the sake of being assholes, which isn't a good thing.

just think 'what would maynard do' (wwmd)
not to be confused with WMD's

www.fozlur.com
Old 05-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #69
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Well it just seems like some people like being assholes for the sake of being assholes, which isn't a good thing.

just think 'what would maynard do' (wwmd)
not to be confused with WMD's

www.fozlur.com
Satan's Caulk
05-05-2006, 06:06 PM

Haha seriously. I mean come on guys! It's fucking Tool! They are some of the best musicians in the world. Yeah, seriously, these young douche bags just don't make music like they used to.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #70
Level 4 - Thinker

Haha seriously. I mean come on guys! It's fucking Tool! They are some of the best musicians in the world. Yeah, seriously, these young douche bags just don't make music like they used to.
Satan's Caulk
05-05-2006, 06:06 PM

Old 05-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #71
Level 4 - Thinker

Satan's Caulk
05-05-2006, 06:07 PM

Hmmm..I clicked it once...yet it posted it twice...
Old 05-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #72
Level 4 - Thinker

Hmmm..I clicked it once...yet it posted it twice...
05-05-2006, 06:08 PM

Even if maynard's voice changes with age, they can work around it. Look at bands like blue oyster cult and rolling stones.

If they can keep on rockin, tool can go until they are corpses.

www.fozlur.com
Old 05-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #73
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Even if maynard's voice changes with age, they can work around it. Look at bands like blue oyster cult and rolling stones.

If they can keep on rockin, tool can go until they are corpses.

www.fozlur.com
Satan's Caulk
05-05-2006, 06:22 PM

Tool can't die..they are demons...
Old 05-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #74
Level 4 - Thinker

Tool can't die..they are demons...
peripheral
05-05-2006, 06:56 PM

is satan's caulk used strictly for sodomy?
Old 05-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #75
Banned.

Bincount™: 70

erazorhead's Avatar erazorhead
05-05-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripheral
yes
Old 05-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #76
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripheral
yes
05-05-2006, 08:08 PM

All that I know is that Danny is old too but man can he play some drums. That is all I care about. Yeah maybe maynard is loosing it (i doubt it) but Danny seems better than ever
Old 05-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #77
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

All that I know is that Danny is old too but man can he play some drums. That is all I care about. Yeah maybe maynard is loosing it (i doubt it) but Danny seems better than ever
AlltheteainChina's Avatar AlltheteainChina
05-05-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Well, I mean, it's not really his fault that humans age. Everything you say may be correct, but this is all common knowledge that we all go into this with, so the fact that Tool is getting older is not a great kick to the teeth to anyone. Maybe his voice isn't the same as when he was 30, maybe he is socializing more between songs, but to fault him for it? They're maturing, they're progressing, things aren't the same now as they were then, and they won't be the same in the future as they are now. Time to let go buddy.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #78

Bincount™: 28

Quote:

Well, I mean, it's not really his fault that humans age. Everything you say may be correct, but this is all common knowledge that we all go into this with, so the fact that Tool is getting older is not a great kick to the teeth to anyone. Maybe his voice isn't the same as when he was 30, maybe he is socializing more between songs, but to fault him for it? They're maturing, they're progressing, things aren't the same now as they were then, and they won't be the same in the future as they are now. Time to let go buddy.
seneca77's Avatar seneca77
05-05-2006, 08:42 PM

Quote:

well, biology would prove that humans age and the workings of our bodies deteriorate over time. we all get old. we all die. maynard is not immortal.

he is 42 years old.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #79
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 762

Quote:

well, biology would prove that humans age and the workings of our bodies deteriorate over time. we all get old. we all die. maynard is not immortal.

he is 42 years old.
05-05-2006, 08:47 PM

This Wolfmother CD is pretty good.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #80
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

This Wolfmother CD is pretty good.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply