Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Croma
12-30-2011, 09:52 AM

Rosetta Stoned relates a LSD experience. Slang term for acid is the "keys to the universe." During an experience someone may express "I have the keys!" However you only have them while you are tripping, and then may be unable to explain the experience later. Lost Keys anyone?

I think the song lampoons hippies, especially self important ones who feel they are the only ones who could interpret something, as if some higher power chose them specifically to deliver the message to all mankind. And, many people have intense hallucinogenic experiences that can potentially make them feel more enlightened than others whether they really are or not. A lot of people on this forum, myself included, have to check our ego from time to time to make sure we don't act too pretentious for the same reasons lol...

If anyone doubts the origin of this slang, see the post about Tommy Chong, its could potentially explain the alien bit too. Guys don't forget Maynard has a sly sense of humor. It doesn't always have to be really deep - for example, Jambi uses iambic pentameter, but it is also named after the genie from peewee's playhouse, which is really funny. And its about wishes, so it makes sense.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Keys to the Universe=Lost Keys

Rosetta Stoned relates a LSD experience. Slang term for acid is the "keys to the universe." During an experience someone may express "I have the keys!" However you only have them while you are tripping, and then may be unable to explain the experience later. Lost Keys anyone?

I think the song lampoons hippies, especially self important ones who feel they are the only ones who could interpret something, as if some higher power chose them specifically to deliver the message to all mankind. And, many people have intense hallucinogenic experiences that can potentially make them feel more enlightened than others whether they really are or not. A lot of people on this forum, myself included, have to check our ego from time to time to make sure we don't act too pretentious for the same reasons lol...

If anyone doubts the origin of this slang, see the post about Tommy Chong, its could potentially explain the alien bit too. Guys don't forget Maynard has a sly sense of humor. It doesn't always have to be really deep - for example, Jambi uses iambic pentameter, but it is also named after the genie from peewee's playhouse, which is really funny. And its about wishes, so it makes sense.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
12-30-2011, 10:22 AM

it's okay to let your mind wash over the song as the song itself washes over the mind. as structured as each measure, each beat, rhythm, and motif ...may seeeeeeem ...it is all still our own subjective analysis of THEIR subjective truth. see:bill hicks. you cannot pretend to know the artist's intent, but the whole name of the game is wanting to see how their vision might apply to the self ...otherwise the art ceases to exist as anything but a creative outlet of a person speaking for their own self as if towards a wall. landing upon any one idea as if to settle upon tommy chong - of all things - is just as lethal to the wandering mind as any-thing. and if tool has elaborated upon any idea, it MIGHT be that it's better to just watch things die. like, i don't know about THAT. :an outward pointing finger fades a la back to the future:

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 12-30-2011 at 10:25 AM..
Old 12-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217
Re: Keys to the Universe=Lost Keys

it's okay to let your mind wash over the song as the song itself washes over the mind. as structured as each measure, each beat, rhythm, and motif ...may seeeeeeem ...it is all still our own subjective analysis of THEIR subjective truth. see:bill hicks. you cannot pretend to know the artist's intent, but the whole name of the game is wanting to see how their vision might apply to the self ...otherwise the art ceases to exist as anything but a creative outlet of a person speaking for their own self as if towards a wall. landing upon any one idea as if to settle upon tommy chong - of all things - is just as lethal to the wandering mind as any-thing. and if tool has elaborated upon any idea, it MIGHT be that it's better to just watch things die. like, i don't know about THAT. :an outward pointing finger fades a la back to the future:

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 12-30-2011 at 10:25 AM..
Croma
12-30-2011, 10:55 AM

WTF are you talking about? I am not saying that is the only way to interpret the song. I am just saying I have read all these cryptic interpretations and noone has mentioned the obvious one - Keys to the Universe is common slang for LSD EVEN BEFORE Tommy Chong. I just wanted people to know I didn't make it up.

I hope you are being ironic because your comment is exactly the kind of pretentious bullshit I was trying to avoid. Rosetta Stoned is definitely one of the tracks off of 10,000 days that I don't think should be taken too seriously. 10,000 days in general is a little bit more 'obvious' IMHO compared to Laterlus or AEnima, perhaps intentionally.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

WTF are you talking about? I am not saying that is the only way to interpret the song. I am just saying I have read all these cryptic interpretations and noone has mentioned the obvious one - Keys to the Universe is common slang for LSD EVEN BEFORE Tommy Chong. I just wanted people to know I didn't make it up.

I hope you are being ironic because your comment is exactly the kind of pretentious bullshit I was trying to avoid. Rosetta Stoned is definitely one of the tracks off of 10,000 days that I don't think should be taken too seriously. 10,000 days in general is a little bit more 'obvious' IMHO compared to Laterlus or AEnima, perhaps intentionally.
Croma
12-30-2011, 11:05 AM

BTW - just found out the reference is from Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams. Its actually slang used by Timothy Leary who makes a cameo in the movie. Timothy Leary...commonly referred to as the godfather of acid...the one responsible for the "Think for Yourself, Question Authority" speech.

Yeah, I guess this is totally out of the question, it must be deeper than that :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WISFFhU9hVc
Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

BTW - just found out the reference is from Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams. Its actually slang used by Timothy Leary who makes a cameo in the movie. Timothy Leary...commonly referred to as the godfather of acid...the one responsible for the "Think for Yourself, Question Authority" speech.

Yeah, I guess this is totally out of the question, it must be deeper than that :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WISFFhU9hVc
12-30-2011, 11:38 AM

look, that wasn't a "well, actually ...art is... so music must be..." response. pretentious? well what hell kind of response did you expect or are you now demanding? your expectations for anything are getting way the fuck out in front of you. calm your shit. it's okay to be five years behind the idea (seriously!!! no sleight on you), the idea IS what's important - so test it out, see what sticks ...but beliefs are fucked, and i was just responding by trying to reflect the fact. sorry i overlooked tommy fuckin' chong. ??? i am curious how you think everything else you've read of this song is so goddamn cryptic AND somehow missing the obvious ...especially when, for example, a few of us have the poster (or have at least seen the painting) by tool-collaborator alex grey called "st.albert and the lsd revelation revolution" ...which i can only assume was created from a deep saturation (through an entire collective's understanding) of what lsd has done of&for global consciousness in general (and an even deeper desire to express it). i guess even grey missed the obvious ...'cause i don't see tommy chong in that picture. but what you said is interesting. keep labeling us pretentious hippies, though. that'll get to the heart of the joke.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

look, that wasn't a "well, actually ...art is... so music must be..." response. pretentious? well what hell kind of response did you expect or are you now demanding? your expectations for anything are getting way the fuck out in front of you. calm your shit. it's okay to be five years behind the idea (seriously!!! no sleight on you), the idea IS what's important - so test it out, see what sticks ...but beliefs are fucked, and i was just responding by trying to reflect the fact. sorry i overlooked tommy fuckin' chong. ??? i am curious how you think everything else you've read of this song is so goddamn cryptic AND somehow missing the obvious ...especially when, for example, a few of us have the poster (or have at least seen the painting) by tool-collaborator alex grey called "st.albert and the lsd revelation revolution" ...which i can only assume was created from a deep saturation (through an entire collective's understanding) of what lsd has done of&for global consciousness in general (and an even deeper desire to express it). i guess even grey missed the obvious ...'cause i don't see tommy chong in that picture. but what you said is interesting. keep labeling us pretentious hippies, though. that'll get to the heart of the joke.
12-30-2011, 01:20 PM

i was told something ineffable by another being on an lsd trip.

tool made a song about that experience because im sure im not the only one.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

Croma
01-05-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
Wow you really think that you are the only one who knows about Grey's painting of Hoffman? I bet you don't know half of the other faces in the painting, like Alexander Shulgin, Terrence Mckenna, Jonathan Ott, Simon Posford (shpongle), and various other visionaries. And you really think I'm listening to 10,000 days for the first time? I have been listening to tool for over 15 years. I just didn't see anyone post about the slang. And again - this isn't about Tommy Chong. You are just a fucking kid who thinks that your comments are somehow witty or intelligent; you will probably respond and say "oh well you misconstrued blah blah blah, and the real truth is blah blah blah." Watch the damn video, Timothy Leary calls LSD the Keys to the Universe. Simple, obvious, and doesn't require any future explanation or debate. Keys to the Universe is slang for LSD, first used by TImothy Leary, and POSSIBLY what Lost Keys references. Don't let it hurt your head (or your feelings)
Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Wow you really think that you are the only one who knows about Grey's painting of Hoffman? I bet you don't know half of the other faces in the painting, like Alexander Shulgin, Terrence Mckenna, Jonathan Ott, Simon Posford (shpongle), and various other visionaries. And you really think I'm listening to 10,000 days for the first time? I have been listening to tool for over 15 years. I just didn't see anyone post about the slang. And again - this isn't about Tommy Chong. You are just a fucking kid who thinks that your comments are somehow witty or intelligent; you will probably respond and say "oh well you misconstrued blah blah blah, and the real truth is blah blah blah." Watch the damn video, Timothy Leary calls LSD the Keys to the Universe. Simple, obvious, and doesn't require any future explanation or debate. Keys to the Universe is slang for LSD, first used by TImothy Leary, and POSSIBLY what Lost Keys references. Don't let it hurt your head (or your feelings)
01-05-2012, 07:49 AM

i said a lot of us know about it.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Level 10 - Vehement

01-06-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
No you didn't. You said "sorry I overlooked tommy fuckin chong" thus illustrating you didn't know about this before. Have some self respect, you can't salvage this one.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
No you didn't. You said "sorry I overlooked tommy fuckin chong" thus illustrating you didn't know about this before. Have some self respect, you can't salvage this one.
01-06-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croma View Post
You said "sorry I overlooked tommy fuckin chong" thus illustrating you didn't know about this before. Have some self respect, you can't salvage this one.
ugh, fffffffffine ...here's the proper call-and-response series of events, see above^:

Quote:
I am just saying I have read all these cryptic interpretations and noone has mentioned the obvious one - Keys to the Universe is common slang for LSD EVEN BEFORE Tommy Chong. I just wanted people to know I didn't make it up.
Quote:
i am curious how you think everything else you've read of this song is so goddamn cryptic AND somehow missing the obvious ...especially when, for example, a few of us have the poster (or have at least seen the painting) by tool-collaborator alex grey called "st.albert and the lsd revelation revolution" ...which i can only assume was created from a deep saturation (through an entire collective's understanding) of what lsd has done of&for global consciousness in general (and an even deeper desire to express it). i guess even grey missed the obvious ...'cause i don't see tommy chong in that picture.
Quote:
Wow you really think that you are the only one who knows about Grey's painting of Hoffman?
Quote:
concerning tommy chong, what else do you want from me? i found what you shared interesting because i hadn't seen that video before (and i did watch it ...laughing leary, i get it), but lsd has affected many people. also, no one needed to tell ME that lsd was a key to the universe when i first tried it ...i it's just one of those things that race through your mind, you know, as revelations such as childhood-JOY is remembered again (at 23 years old). hope, where i once saw much despair. maybe i'm pretentious for choosing to overlook tommy chong, but to be honest i don't really care. but i wasn't saying that nobody should care about what you're bringing to the table, so why the hell are you being so combative about all of this? you NEED to be right about this? you NEED to be in-the-know? your defensive, hyperbolized retorts are forcing you blind to the actual conversation at hand ...how i saw this coming from the get-go, i don't know ...just something about your whole "this is it, guys, i'm the one with the key ...i've figured out 10k days probably isn't all that deep; you're all just a bunch of pretentious hippies who need to check your ego because you think you're so deep and philosophic, but you know what? you're not" attitude...

i guarantee the track "lost keys (blame hoffman)" has far more to do with albert HOFFMAN than tommy chong. maybe that's why i overlooked chong (and i'm not really sorry). mind you, my citing "st.albert and the lsd revelation revolution" by alex grey was only a TIP-of-the-iceberg, more-immediately-relavent-to-the-band-tool EXAMPLE(!) ...but you keep on, full steam ahead. i thought everyone and their mother saw that dicaprio documentary by now.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 01-06-2012 at 01:06 PM..
Old 01-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
You said "sorry I overlooked tommy fuckin chong" thus illustrating you didn't know about this before. Have some self respect, you can't salvage this one.
ugh, fffffffffine ...here's the proper call-and-response series of events, see above^:

Quote:
I am just saying I have read all these cryptic interpretations and noone has mentioned the obvious one - Keys to the Universe is common slang for LSD EVEN BEFORE Tommy Chong. I just wanted people to know I didn't make it up.
Quote:
i am curious how you think everything else you've read of this song is so goddamn cryptic AND somehow missing the obvious ...especially when, for example, a few of us have the poster (or have at least seen the painting) by tool-collaborator alex grey called "st.albert and the lsd revelation revolution" ...which i can only assume was created from a deep saturation (through an entire collective's understanding) of what lsd has done of&for global consciousness in general (and an even deeper desire to express it). i guess even grey missed the obvious ...'cause i don't see tommy chong in that picture.
Quote:
Wow you really think that you are the only one who knows about Grey's painting of Hoffman?
Quote:
concerning tommy chong, what else do you want from me? i found what you shared interesting because i hadn't seen that video before (and i did watch it ...laughing leary, i get it), but lsd has affected many people. also, no one needed to tell ME that lsd was a key to the universe when i first tried it ...i it's just one of those things that race through your mind, you know, as revelations such as childhood-JOY is remembered again (at 23 years old). hope, where i once saw much despair. maybe i'm pretentious for choosing to overlook tommy chong, but to be honest i don't really care. but i wasn't saying that nobody should care about what you're bringing to the table, so why the hell are you being so combative about all of this? you NEED to be right about this? you NEED to be in-the-know? your defensive, hyperbolized retorts are forcing you blind to the actual conversation at hand ...how i saw this coming from the get-go, i don't know ...just something about your whole "this is it, guys, i'm the one with the key ...i've figured out 10k days probably isn't all that deep; you're all just a bunch of pretentious hippies who need to check your ego because you think you're so deep and philosophic, but you know what? you're not" attitude...

i guarantee the track "lost keys (blame hoffman)" has far more to do with albert HOFFMAN than tommy chong. maybe that's why i overlooked chong (and i'm not really sorry). mind you, my citing "st.albert and the lsd revelation revolution" by alex grey was only a TIP-of-the-iceberg, more-immediately-relavent-to-the-band-tool EXAMPLE(!) ...but you keep on, full steam ahead. i thought everyone and their mother saw that dicaprio documentary by now.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 01-06-2012 at 01:06 PM..
Croma
01-19-2012, 04:08 AM

You still don't get it. The title "lost keys" is a reference to Timothy Leary, not Tommy Chong. The reference to Tommy Chong is somebody else's thread in regards to Rosetta Stoned. Oh, but nobody knew "blame hoffman" was a reference to Albert Hoffman, thats not obvious at all...

FYI: the phrase "I said a lot of people know about it" is what English teachers call a "reference error." 'it' could refer to any number of things you were talking about since you didn't specify what proper noun you were referring to (tommy chong, timothy leary, alex grey, the painting, the reference, the video, the song...etc.).

I saw this coming too...from the moment you got on here saying my random observation was invalid and unimportant and started advising me to "let your mind wash over the song as the song washes over you".....Who is ranting, me or you? I just asked you to drop it. This is not the only way to see this song, just a cool observation. I've been posting on ToolNavy for 10 years, and one of the reasons I deleted my old profile is because of douchebags like you - do you really think I care what "level" you are and how many threads you trolled in order to raise your post numbers? I can't believe you wasted your time editing quotes out of our previous posts in an effort to prove yourself right...you need to find a girlfriend or something man. Take the last word if you want, but I'm not responding to any more of your silly rants. You must have taken the brown syd, I feel sorry for you. Peace!

Last edited by Croma; 01-19-2012 at 04:17 AM..
Old 01-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

You still don't get it. The title "lost keys" is a reference to Timothy Leary, not Tommy Chong. The reference to Tommy Chong is somebody else's thread in regards to Rosetta Stoned. Oh, but nobody knew "blame hoffman" was a reference to Albert Hoffman, thats not obvious at all...

FYI: the phrase "I said a lot of people know about it" is what English teachers call a "reference error." 'it' could refer to any number of things you were talking about since you didn't specify what proper noun you were referring to (tommy chong, timothy leary, alex grey, the painting, the reference, the video, the song...etc.).

I saw this coming too...from the moment you got on here saying my random observation was invalid and unimportant and started advising me to "let your mind wash over the song as the song washes over you".....Who is ranting, me or you? I just asked you to drop it. This is not the only way to see this song, just a cool observation. I've been posting on ToolNavy for 10 years, and one of the reasons I deleted my old profile is because of douchebags like you - do you really think I care what "level" you are and how many threads you trolled in order to raise your post numbers? I can't believe you wasted your time editing quotes out of our previous posts in an effort to prove yourself right...you need to find a girlfriend or something man. Take the last word if you want, but I'm not responding to any more of your silly rants. You must have taken the brown syd, I feel sorry for you. Peace!

Last edited by Croma; 01-19-2012 at 04:17 AM..
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
01-19-2012, 04:32 AM

I haven't done acid in years (since before I got into Tool in 1996). I would love to spend a couple weeks at a cabin on a lake and trip on LSD and listen to aenima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days. The connections that I have with Tools music is extraordinary and I can only imagine that if I had the key and listened to those three albums several times I would accomplish many breakthroughs and have an even better understanding and closer relationship with certain songs. Hope that isn't off topic, just something tbat I would like to do in the near future.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

I haven't done acid in years (since before I got into Tool in 1996). I would love to spend a couple weeks at a cabin on a lake and trip on LSD and listen to aenima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days. The connections that I have with Tools music is extraordinary and I can only imagine that if I had the key and listened to those three albums several times I would accomplish many breakthroughs and have an even better understanding and closer relationship with certain songs. Hope that isn't off topic, just something tbat I would like to do in the near future.
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
01-19-2012, 05:14 AM

Actually think the last time I took LSD was in 96 at a Phish show.

Last time I did shrooms was in 98 while watching The Island of Doctor Moreau. The newer Val Kilmer one. It freaked me out lol

Edit: yeah, im old

Last edited by lotus.; 01-19-2012 at 05:15 AM..
Old 01-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Actually think the last time I took LSD was in 96 at a Phish show.

Last time I did shrooms was in 98 while watching The Island of Doctor Moreau. The newer Val Kilmer one. It freaked me out lol

Edit: yeah, im old

Last edited by lotus.; 01-19-2012 at 05:15 AM..
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
01-20-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus. View Post
That would be nice. Haven't done it since around then either...maybe 98 at the latest. Did shrooms maybe 10yrs ago one time and ordered some San Pedro cuttings about maybe 6yrs ago and tried that. I would need the right atmosphere/company in order to do it...somewhere with nature and/or very chill. Too old for the wild crazy trippin days I had as a kid...lol Problem is I don't even know where to get any of that kind of stuff anymore.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus. View Post
That would be nice. Haven't done it since around then either...maybe 98 at the latest. Did shrooms maybe 10yrs ago one time and ordered some San Pedro cuttings about maybe 6yrs ago and tried that. I would need the right atmosphere/company in order to do it...somewhere with nature and/or very chill. Too old for the wild crazy trippin days I had as a kid...lol Problem is I don't even know where to get any of that kind of stuff anymore.
01-22-2012, 04:49 PM

pretty easy to score something at a concert. Or more specifically a festival. I like to experiment once or twice a year. I'm much more laid back now, its not as appealing to me to be in a hot stuffy arena concert surrounded by cops....much rather lay back in the comfort of my own home and listen to music.....Nature is the best - camping trips are fun
Old 01-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

pretty easy to score something at a concert. Or more specifically a festival. I like to experiment once or twice a year. I'm much more laid back now, its not as appealing to me to be in a hot stuffy arena concert surrounded by cops....much rather lay back in the comfort of my own home and listen to music.....Nature is the best - camping trips are fun
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
02-01-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Agreed....however, I'm sure as hell not going around and asking/trying to buy shit from complete strangers, never know what you're actually getting and quite likely getting fake stuff to begin with. Off the top of my head, pot is really the only thing you can't fake the funk with, ya know
Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Agreed....however, I'm sure as hell not going around and asking/trying to buy shit from complete strangers, never know what you're actually getting and quite likely getting fake stuff to begin with. Off the top of my head, pot is really the only thing you can't fake the funk with, ya know
03-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon View Post

^This..

I had some rather ineffable experiences myself.. sober.. lol. Is it so much to really think that maybe it really was just an actual, true experience?

I hope the new album expands upon this song..
Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon View Post

^This..

I had some rather ineffable experiences myself.. sober.. lol. Is it so much to really think that maybe it really was just an actual, true experience?

I hope the new album expands upon this song..
03-13-2012, 09:50 PM

There's also a book titled "DMT: Spirit Molecule". I have yet to complete reading it, but the jist of it is all about Dr. Rick Strassman who conducted DEA-approved clinical research where he injected 60 volunteers with DMT, one of the most powerful psychedelics known, and recorded the mystical experiences described by his subjects, all of which were remarkably similar... "Many volunteers reported convincing encounters with intelligent nonhuman presences, especially 'aliens'. Nearly all felt that the sessions were among the most profound experiences of their lives."

Maybe, just maybe.. there was a chosen one sent to deliver a message.. you better listen ;)
Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

There's also a book titled "DMT: Spirit Molecule". I have yet to complete reading it, but the jist of it is all about Dr. Rick Strassman who conducted DEA-approved clinical research where he injected 60 volunteers with DMT, one of the most powerful psychedelics known, and recorded the mystical experiences described by his subjects, all of which were remarkably similar... "Many volunteers reported convincing encounters with intelligent nonhuman presences, especially 'aliens'. Nearly all felt that the sessions were among the most profound experiences of their lives."

Maybe, just maybe.. there was a chosen one sent to deliver a message.. you better listen ;)
07-17-2012, 11:08 PM

This song resonates in me because it has a meaning I am taking away from any literal meaning and applying my own experience ino it. I think Maynard intends for this to occur on many songs that he writes. He has more of an aspiration to inspire chefs to listen to his music and create a unique dish than having a scholar decipher his lyrics in an over analytical attempt to translate some hidden message beneath the surface.

Miscommunication often leads to a certainty of fixed perceptions. A person conveying the message can perceive the recipient to appear to be uninterested, set in their ways, unmoved etc. the recipient can be led to a perception the conveyer to be incompetent, misleading, and in the case of this song crazy. If we rewrite the lyrics in the same format but instead a Christian conveying the word of Christ and the doctor to be an agnostic audience, the tone may appear the same. We can use other topics to obtain the same result as well. An drug user or alcoholic hearing the words of a concerned family member but basically plug in your applied topic here. There are 2 main thesis to the song:

1) a clinical apprehension from the doctors view and eventually the patient. This is because the patient feels like he has an important message to deliver. A message that is dire to convey. The patient feels so confident that the words themselves will be convincing that he needs but to speak of them or write them down and the world will be convinced of it's authenticity. The patient has a problem with convincing the doctor of its importance and his excessive rambling that leads the doctor to admit the patient. Eventually the patient begins to believe it himself. In his loss of the text (alien warned him to write it down but the patient "forgot...( his) pen"). He gives into the paradigm he is ill therefore eventually allows the message to be downplayed (shit the bed again, strapped down in my bed...)

2). How much "truth" is lost in our perception in one that is clinically insane or any perception that diverts from the spirit in the intention of the message? For example, those that dispel the teachings of Christianity failing to incorporate a blueprint for spirituality because of the belief that immaculate conception is ludicrous. ("you believe me don't you? Please believe What I just said"). The message gets lost and we are diverted to this paradigm that when someone is wrong about one thing, they are discredited about all other things when in truth it's an extreme acceptance to a complex problem having different of a binary solution.

That's my interpretation. I may be off but I am open to your opinion if you agree or disagree and why.

Steve
Old 07-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

This song resonates in me because it has a meaning I am taking away from any literal meaning and applying my own experience ino it. I think Maynard intends for this to occur on many songs that he writes. He has more of an aspiration to inspire chefs to listen to his music and create a unique dish than having a scholar decipher his lyrics in an over analytical attempt to translate some hidden message beneath the surface.

Miscommunication often leads to a certainty of fixed perceptions. A person conveying the message can perceive the recipient to appear to be uninterested, set in their ways, unmoved etc. the recipient can be led to a perception the conveyer to be incompetent, misleading, and in the case of this song crazy. If we rewrite the lyrics in the same format but instead a Christian conveying the word of Christ and the doctor to be an agnostic audience, the tone may appear the same. We can use other topics to obtain the same result as well. An drug user or alcoholic hearing the words of a concerned family member but basically plug in your applied topic here. There are 2 main thesis to the song:

1) a clinical apprehension from the doctors view and eventually the patient. This is because the patient feels like he has an important message to deliver. A message that is dire to convey. The patient feels so confident that the words themselves will be convincing that he needs but to speak of them or write them down and the world will be convinced of it's authenticity. The patient has a problem with convincing the doctor of its importance and his excessive rambling that leads the doctor to admit the patient. Eventually the patient begins to believe it himself. In his loss of the text (alien warned him to write it down but the patient "forgot...( his) pen"). He gives into the paradigm he is ill therefore eventually allows the message to be downplayed (shit the bed again, strapped down in my bed...)

2). How much "truth" is lost in our perception in one that is clinically insane or any perception that diverts from the spirit in the intention of the message? For example, those that dispel the teachings of Christianity failing to incorporate a blueprint for spirituality because of the belief that immaculate conception is ludicrous. ("you believe me don't you? Please believe What I just said"). The message gets lost and we are diverted to this paradigm that when someone is wrong about one thing, they are discredited about all other things when in truth it's an extreme acceptance to a complex problem having different of a binary solution.

That's my interpretation. I may be off but I am open to your opinion if you agree or disagree and why.

Steve

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply