opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 06-25-2006, 06:21 AM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/06/24 - Katowice, POL - Spodek Arena

damn. poor sound? are you all nuts? live show is to melt your face and kick your ass... if you want some siesta, stay home and listen to the cd.
pogo, moshing, head-banging? fuck you pussys, at least that a rock show, everyone let's one's emotions out. if you don't, again, stay home.
lack of connection with the audience? well, it's just not a thing you expect from Tool. Maynard shouting "scream for me katowice?" ridiculous...
the audience? oh yeah there were loads of idiots who came ONLY to bang heads and crowd-surf. not knowing the lyrics? I know them all, i sang, it's not my problem...
pogo & clapping? Tool's rhythm is harldy ever 4/4, so it's hard to move rhythmically, but there's nothing wrong in clapping to intro to Lateralus - if you can fit, and many of us did. and for fuck's sake, wash your damn long hair. right when i came in there were only 'stinkheads' around me.
It was my first Tool gig and I'm amazed, although it was too short, and it was sometimes diffculy the hear vocals. But damn, it was great.
and no one mentioned funny things - they were drinking polish beer Zywiec while we sung "sto lat sto lat" - old polish birthday song. then justin used the zywiec bottle to improve his psychedelic sound... and that's the unforgettable aspect of the damn show...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 07:22 AM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

it was not as good as in krakow in 2001 (the best concert i've ever seen) but it was also amazing. i'm in 10 000 pieces now waiting for november to put it all together.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 07:37 AM   #43
Level 2 - Poster

this was my firts tool show..and i am impressed. surely, there was nothing special compared to all previous concerts on this tour (as far as setlist and length is concerned) , but the flow of energy from Tool was amazing. Jambi was a killer, it sounded better than i thought it might sound. as for the sound - to me it was good - i could hear everything (unlike on other concerts i've been to), tho bass was too strong in my opinion..YOu could feel it not even standing on the ground

maynard may not have been too talkative - he never is, but in the end a lot of stuff was being thrown into the crowd - drum sticks, bottles of water...and some round, frisbee-lookalike stuff.

what really blew me, was instant pogo-reply to first few tones of lost keys..but i have a theory about it - last time tool played here was 2002. we had no APC shows here, nothing...so those 4 years have been a long foreplay, intensified by the new album...so i would say, that yesterday, we've been experiencing a 1hr 40 mins long orgasm.

generally, i'm happy...but i do hope that maynard didn't lie about november, and i do hope that they will come here again soon. i'm patiently waiting.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 07:49 AM   #44
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos Santino
I can't complain about the quality of the sound - for those who do - have you ever been in Stodola in Warsaw? After the (disastrous - in my opinion) Mars Volta concert last year I think it would take a total catastrophe to make me complain ;)
Not only mars volta...QOTSA was also crappy there, so comparing to this, i'd say that the sound was excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos Santino
Maynard also seemed to enjoy himself ( I couldn't see correctly but I think he didn't have his cowboy hat with him). I coulnd't see Danny and Adam, apart from a couple of times, but that didn't ruin the show for me, I had a great time listening to the music.
Maynard did wear cowboy hat during Jambi. As for Adam - didn't move to much, so YOu didn't loose much ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 07:59 AM   #45
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobrawa
Does anyone know what exactly is going to be in autumn this year? an european tour in November or sth?
there are no official dates, but reading other reviews from shows around Europe almost everywhere Maynard did say see You soon in september/november. there is hope!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 08:23 AM   #46
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 177

Here's my long 2 cents after seeing TOOL live in Katowice, PL.

PART 1

Got home at 4 am (Katowice to Warsaw), slept until 1pm today. Still have a slight buzzing/ringing sound in my ears which occasionally switches to a jackhammer-type pounding when I hear something loud.

This was my first TOOL show ever. the one major disappointment for me was our crowd. Some of you people were an utter disgrace.

1. I had people around me surprised that ISIS wasn't opening though this has been a widely-known fact for over 2 months now, so those people whom I told this were all like "aaaaaawwwww, what the f*ck?! They better make this the best, longest show ever!" which posed yet another problem...

2. ...The fact that the european dates are also warm-up shows. Literally NOBODY knew this. Every time, the conversation between another fan and me looked like this:

"gee, I hope they play Sober"
and I was like "they will"
they were like "how the fuck do you know"
and I'd be like "cause I know the whole setlist by heart, cause it's the same in every european country..."
and they were like "no way, how?"
and i'd be like "yeah, it's a warm-up tour, the show is only gonna be 1.5 hrs..."
and they were like "REALLY?!?!?! bullshit, I don't believe you..."

3. Because of that, the show ended, the lights came on, and people literally booed! I don't know where people pick up that kind of attitude, but those manners are totally unacceptable by standards of modern day ethics. It's just sad.

4. If it took a lot outta your wallet to pay 145 zł for the floor (yeah, it's a lot for Polish standards), then next time you may as well not go, because the argument that "I paid too much money for such a short show" is no justification for your behavior. You gave every other fan a bad name in front of a band whose life's work you SUPPOSEDLY appreciate. Next time, do the math, there's a bunch of english/polish forums and message boards where you can find information on shows, concerts, organisational changes and on the current state of setlists, average duration of a show, etc. They played Aenima, then left, the crowd cheered for more, then the lights came on and everybody went "AAAAAW! BOOOOOOO!" The nerve of some people. If it's too much for you to pay that sum of money to see a band and appreciate them, four words:

TOO BAD, YOUR LOSS.

I'm astounded at how much NEGATIVITY you people showed. After seeing TOOL. That is like the biggest paradox ever. You all know how positive the overall message of TOOL's music is, yet you're able to COMPLAIN after a decent TOOL show (because it was, at least decent, though I personally thing it was good). How does that work?!

Another party at fault was the organisational crew at METALMIND PRODUCTIONS. No partial cash returns after calling off ISIS, as well as hardly any information about the gig. First they said it was gonna be ISIS supporting, then, on their site, they changed it to "TOOL + special guest" and then they changed it to "An Evening With Tool". The floor at the Spodek Arena floor section was meant for 4000 people so guess what? They let 5000 people on the damn floor. I was WAY up front, right by the front metal bars, opposite Danny, the view was a DREAM. Justin came out ALONE in jogging pants and a navy polo T and went into Lost Keys, mostly messing with some knobs while on his knees. Then, out came Adam in an I *Rolling Stones Lips and tongue Logo* LA t-shirt, then Danny in a red LA Clippers uniform (the man could fight a bear, holy sh*t) and then, after a long wait, Maynard looking just like he did during every other show. The cowboy hat came later on.

Justin came out and that's when ALL HELL unleashed. 5000 people started pushing like crazy, I felt my ribcage was about to crack a couple of times, it was really dangerous. At one point, the bars started tipping over, at which point the security had to hold them up to keep them from tipping all the way. You've probably felt that at some concert where the venue was over-packed and every time people leaned up to one side, you wouldn't fall cuz people on the other side were like an elastic wall holding you up, and then that wall pushed back the other way. it's not even like moshing, it's worse, it was people pushing and shoving just for the fuck of getting to the front, it was pathetic, and I saw some guys having to LITERALLY brutally shove and punch people around them ON PURPOSE just to desperately pull their exhausted girlfriends/wives out of that hell-hole. I fully sympathise with you dudes, and I can understand that kind of aggression, because it was justified. Respect for saving your women, there was nothing else you could have done. Rosetta Stoned was a HORROR up front, could barely enjoy the song, I was busy fighting not to get killed. When it ended I thought "fuck this, I'm here for the songs not the view" and fought my way through Stinkfist just to get to the mid-rear section of the floor. The view was still okay, but the sound was much better and at least I was safe. I mean, I'm not that small, I'm 5"11 and 75 kg, but that was just TOO MUCH. I have a huge, bloody bruise on my back that's like 3cm wide and 30cm long (as if I got hit by a metal pole or something and I didn't even get hit by anything, it was just from the sheer force of the people pushing against me. I did get elbowed in the head a couple of times, which I still feel now, so to everybody intentionally chucking their elbows at my head, thanks a bunch. The floor was NOT a safe place to be and I am not going to think twice about getting good seats next time TOOL comes to play in Poland. I always mosh at like a Dillinger Escape Plan show or something like that, it's normal with them, but seriously.... BRUISES? AFTER A TOOL SHOW?!

--------- '']['' [{}] [{}] ][,, ---------

As for the show itself, the setlist was obviously the same and the DID NOT play the Pot. The sound was at about a 7 out of 10. Maynard never fucked up, he hit every note, the sound dude just didn't expose him as much as he should have in some parts.

The beginnig riff for Jambi was a bit off rhythm by Adam half way, but he got back on track for when the vocals come in. No gestures, no nothing, he just played, like always.

Justin is Justin, he had that whole "Me? Oh, just humping my bass, nothing much..." thing goin' on, lots of energy, awesome playing, nailed everything, absolutely KILLED the uber-fast Schism brigde, as did Daniel.

Dan was on fire, everything was played perfectly, didn't notice any mess-ups, though some things need to be mentioned. In plus, his kick drums were more audible than on any record, though at the same time, in minus, his snares were a bit too guiet and a tad "flat-sounding". The tabla part in Right In Two turned out great, and over-all, can't say anything bad about the playing of all 3 guys and the same goes for Maynards singing. Dan threw out some stichs and drum tops after the show.

Maynard changed up some parts to throw in a little variety, sang some bits with a different intonation than on the records. Basically, the arena's sound system is what needed polishing, not the band's execution of the music.

The visuals were far from stunning, because aside from the videos, they're just a bunch of colorful morphing effects like the ones in Windows Media Player except higher resolution and better quality. The Indian/Asian lady in Jambi with the zombified eyes and the flame on her forehead wasn't as breathtaking as I though it would be, and the blinking white lights when Maynard sings "black and white are all I see" in Lateralus, followed by red and yellow lights when he sings the "red and yellow" part was kinda cheesy. In conclusion, the visuals really did seem like a warm-up setup, just basic computer generated visual processing, and were far from being as stunning as what I've seen on bootlegs of the LATERALUS 2002 US-tour.

Maynard left out a significant part of Sober for the crowd to sing and as far as I could hear around me, everyone sang the words perfectly.

What rattkin said is worth mentioning again, the jams in between some songs were really beautiful, especially the mellow one before Vicarious, cause the one before Right In Two was just a short, no-lyrics version of Intension. Adam and Maynard both played on their keyboards. I think there was one before Stinkfist too, and the one before Sober was not one that resembled Merkaba, but rather a heavily distorted droning that was AWESOME for me, though hard to bear for some people around me (covering their ears) as it was really loud and all it was was a slowly pulsating HIGHLY distorted sound that lasted about 2-3 minutes. It was played by Justin, because it went dead a second before he started the bassline for the beginning of Sober.

Also, I agree very much with what rattkin said in that some people didn't get the whole 5 minute sitting break that the guys do 3/4 through the show. People were surprised, and reacted curiously, which could have been avoided if they'd just done their homework and checked that this is what the guys do every single show.

PART 2 below.

Last edited by Chuck_Of_Wah; 06-25-2006 at 12:38 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 08:24 AM   #47
Level 8 - Vociferous

PART 2

For a wrm-up show, this concert was PROMISING, as a stand-alone TOOL gig (which it wasn't because it was a warm-up gig, duh:), it was merely GOOD.

Indeed, the only Maynardisms were "Good evening" after Rosetta Stoned, and "Thank you very much, we'll see you soon, hopefully in November" after Vicarious and then instantly went into "hey hey hey hey hey hey...".

I loved the concert itself, I'm happy to have met some really cool people along the way, and was very pleasantly surprised because I thought that, even though the sound wasn't all that amazing and clearly needed polishing, I will now always assess the TOOL sound based on LIVE performances. The album sound is great, but nothing and no one will EVER top a band of this magnitude LIVE. It had that special something that the album version's sound will never capture, no matter what band, what song, and what technology comes along. It's LIVE, it's REAL, it has SOUL POWER.

As Lateralus started (the most awaited track for me, basically I'd have paid for them to come and play that one track alone just the way they played it, just the wayI dreamed for them to play it) I was on a spiritual plateau I have never before attained in my whole life.

When Dan hit that gong (it sounded PERFECT, it was EARTH-SHATTERING), it was the most amazing feeling I have ever felt, and at that very moment, all my frustrations and all my worries disappeared, and I felt cleansed. a day and 8 hours of sleep after, I feel my life has taken on new meaning. I can't help but feel anything but positivity and compassion.

I feel obliged to personally thank four particular guys for this feeling.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:34 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

First I was angry that Maynard didn't talk a lot. I thought he regarded us as a dumb non-english-speaking pack of wolves... and your posts here makes me almost sure about it ;)

My best moment was during aenema when security poured really huge amounts of water on us- my prayers for rain were at last granted ;)

as for yours opinion that previous gigs were much better- well, we all feed on older tool's albums, it's obvious we want to hear them...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 08:49 AM   #49
Level 2 - Poster

Ludzie tak naprawdę to z tym pogo była przeginka. Większość skupienia szła na to by się na nogach utrzymać i nie zostać zdeptanym niż na słuchaniu muzyki to raz. Jak wszyscy zaczynali skakać to się gubiło rytm i ogólna kicha wychodziła po chwili.
Mam nadzieje że na jesieni będzie spokojniej bo chciałbym posłuchać muzy a nie walczyć ze wszystkimi dookoła.

P.S.
W połowie koncertu jakoś gdy wszyscy skakali uderzyłem barkiem jakąś dziewczynę. Sorry to było przypadkowe.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 08:59 AM   #50
Level 4 - Thinker

Ma ktoś jakieś materiały audio/video ?

A i ten sektor E czerwony zajebisty był ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #51
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Of_Wah
I loved the concert itself, I'm happy to have met some really cool people along the way, and was very pleasantly surprised because I thought that, even though the sound wasn't all that amazing and clearly needed polishing, I will now always assess the TOOL sound based on LIVE performances. The album sound is great, but nothing and no one will EVER top a band of this magnitude LIVE. It had that special something that the album version's sound will never capture, no matter what band, what song, and what technology comes along. It's LIVE, it's REAL, it has SOUL POWER.

As Lateralus started (the most awaited track for me, basically I'd have paid for them to come and play that one track alone just the way they played it, just the wayI dreamed for them to play it) I was on a spiritual plateau I have never before attained in my whole life.

When Dan hit that gong (it sounded PERFECT, it was EARTH-SHATTERING), it was the most amazing feeling I have ever felt, and at that very moment, all my frustrations and all my worries disappeared, and I felt cleansed. a day and 8 hours of sleep after, I feel my life has taken on new meaning. I can't help but feel anything but positivity and compassion.
I'm totally with you on this one. I tried to write something like that in an earlier post, but You have put it much better. I will not describe in detail how much this show meant for me, but yes i do feel my life has taken on a new meaning now. Especially thanks to Sober, but not that i'm gonna go sober now or something. It's something deeper, it's the more general cleansing effect it all has put upon me...

Breathe in union...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 09:44 AM   #52
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

a few quick coments:

1) was it too short?

NO. I think 90-100 minutes only whets a listener's appetite, plus this is not san remo festical, this is Tool music, too much emotions might kill...

2) is it ok that Maynard stood in the back?

YES. it is very original and fits in well with the whole image of the band

3) Was the audience ok?

Yes it was, they sang the "big" songs with MJK, if they did not sing with him during aenima itwas probably because they did not expect it cause generally there was little interaction - which is also ok. I hate singer's rambling during the concerts.

4) was the acoustics ok?

no, it was a bit too loud. when you have music so loud all the subtleties of tool music are less aparent

5) did the band pay well?

Yes, they were amazing!!
all in all a great show with only small drawbacks
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #53
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

please write your favorite songs from the show.

for me it was stinkfist, jambi (MJK dancing was an amazing sight) and Vicarious - Vicarious is a monster live!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #54
Level 2 - Poster

rosetta stoned and sober :D
btw many ppl were smoking the pot ;) but tool didn't play it...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 10:36 AM   #55
Level 4 - Thinker

rosseta stoned, stinkfist and jambi
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #56
Level 2 - Poster

Aenima

And, Redbox, after standing on the floor, I'm really jealous about your (now I know that) great seats :)
Old 06-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #57
Level 4 - Thinker

Nice review back there, Chuck. But regarding to "You all know how positive the overall message of TOOL's music is" - erm... don't want to burst your bubble, but have you listened to lyrics of 10k days? :) Quite opposite of what i call "positive", hehe.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:43 PM   #58
Level 2 - Poster

PO pierwsze: czemu piszemy po angielsku skoro wszyscy jestesmy polakami i nikt zza granicy nie interesuje sie tym co przezylismy ;) PO 2 : najlepsze : Sober, Aenema i Right in Two :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 12:58 PM   #59
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna69
PO pierwsze: czemu piszemy po angielsku skoro wszyscy jestesmy polakami i nikt zza granicy nie interesuje sie tym co przezylismy ;) PO 2 : najlepsze : Sober, Aenema i Right in Two :)
No racja w sumie ;)

Pytam po raz drugi znalazł ktoś lub ma jakieś zdjęcia,filmy,audio z koncertu ?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #60
Level 8 - Vociferous

REPLY TO POST #58

I understand, rattkin, the lyrics may not seem positive if you take them LITERALLY, but read the sentence again:

"You all know how positive the overall message of TOOL's music is"

The OVERALL message.

This implies that:

1. I'm not referring to just the lyrics of one album.

2. I beleive that even though they have dubbed this their "blues album" the lyrics require us to READ BETWEEN THE LINES.

Maynard even says it in Aenima, a song that some people might take as violent and horrific until they understand the message it carries. The might say "What? so yeah, there's something wrong with that place so you think the best solution is for it to be put out of existence? Just "flush" it down, is that the answer to all the bad things there like the junkies and the lust for money and the cult fanatics like Hubbard and the superficial things peope care too much about like their morning Latte and their contract and their car? Wow, Maynard, you have a problem! you're violent and angry, you want to deal with stuff by destroying it and making it disappear!"

This is a way of looking at the lyrics LITERALLY.

Then Maynard comes along and says this:

"Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines."

Therefore, I gather he doesn't really accept this as the proper method to rid LA of the evil that embraces it, he is merely hoping for change, and sometimes people seek violent methods to carry out a plan, hence the praying for rain which would lead to tidal waves, but that's like someone who gets angry at someone who just pissed them off and says: "Oh yeah? Well fuck you, I hope you get hit by an 18-wheeler, asshole!" when what he really meant was "Damn, dude, you really got me angry, why would you say saomething like that? It really got to me...".

Get my point?

Aside from that, even if I were to talk about just that one album, 10 000 DAYS does, in my opinion, put forward a positive message OVERALL.

Yes, sure, Vicarious and Right in Two both talk about certain negative phenomena, but to me, they wouldn't just write a song about something negative and say "Look how bad some things are."

The true intention in my opinion is more like: "Do you see how bad some things are? Now THINK about it."

Thanks for the input, I hope I explained my point thoroughly.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #61
Level 2 - Poster

OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

No, it wasn't my first show. Never again. 10 hours' journey standing at the back of the train for what? 1:30 gig? No support? Thank you. ANd writing stuff like "it's tool music. too much emotin blah blah blah" Oh, come on. Don't give me no crap like that. I've been at two Mars volta shows, and they have songs like 32 minutes. And they play with any pauses for 240 minutes. I've been a Tool fan for 10 years, and most of you probably know only Lateralus. Warm-up gig or not, I'm not going to repeat it. They are old, they played their singles, it's like me goin' to work. Routine. nothing special. No emotions. Let's do it and go home. That is so not fair, concerning 4 great albums. Sound was awful (and I've been to concerts in Europe, so I know how it should sound), and the people didn't sing not because of the lyrics - they just didn't hear Maynard. Pogo? yeah, too much of that either. Mars Volta nicely put it once - "Dance, means not to hurt each other". I think it's my last tool show for a long time now. I just lost interest in it. I prefer my 30 video shows from '91-'98. That was Tool I like and remember from the old days. Peace.
And stop insulting Polish people. O gustach sie nie dyskutuje. Some may like and some don't. that's the truth. Kraków 2001 to było to, i wtedy miało sens podniecać się po wyjściu jak dla mnie.
Jak siekomuś podobało, i było wg niego najlepiej na świecie, to gratuluję, i oby wiecej takich przeżyć. ja jużswoje kilka miałem. To kwestia porównania. Bywało lepiej z Toolem na koncertach.

Last edited by Bązo; 06-25-2006 at 01:19 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
PART 2

For a wrm-up show, this concert was PROMISING, as a stand-alone TOOL gig (which it wasn't because it was a warm-up gig, duh:), it was merely GOOD.

Indeed, the only Maynardisms were "Good evening" after Rosetta Stoned, and "Thank you very much, we'll see you soon, hopefully in November" after Vicarious and then instantly went into "hey hey hey hey hey hey...".

I feel obliged to personally thank four particular guys for this feeling.
Mordercza precyzja a opisy wzrostu, wagi, rozmiaru uszkodzeń ciała - pycha - opis wrażeń - miód. Rozumiem, ze mogło Ci się podobać że zagrali wyrachowane , zaplanowane, ustalone, profesjonalne 150 minut. - gdzie tam 150, moze 90
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #64
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna69
Ale tam już każdy zaglądał... Chcę nowych ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #65
Level 1 - Lurker

It was my first Tool concert. The sound was imho not very good but acceptable. Jams between tracks were awesome, especially that one before Vicarious.

And extended version of Schism... Great evening.

Last edited by lukash9; 06-25-2006 at 01:46 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #66
Level 1 - Lurker

OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

btw- i wos siting on one of hightes sectors and i saw funy things- in best moments of "the" koncert on flore (niewiem jak sie pisze plyta :>) lights in cameras starts glittering :d
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

FUCKING GREAT!! Amzaing show as always!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #69
bzx
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

1. i stood just beside the technicians' console, "sweet-spot" i guess, and the sound was good, every instrument easily recognizable. but i agree that it could be worse in other areas, i was on my way to my standing point when they started the show, and i could *hear* the difference when i got to the middle.

2. too many people in the arena, it was impossible to move even in the back, from what i've read here it could be dangerous to stand closer to the scene... it's always like that in such large venues, but seems like this concert was way too packed.

3. no supporting band - this sucked.

4. overall, i enjoyed the show. i'll never regret any TOOL show. personally i like smaller gigs, and the one in Krakow, back in 2001, was better.

thank you TOOL and see you in novermber, hopefully.

PS

-- this is an English-spoken forum, that's why we should write in English. those who do not understand that fact are ignorant. i support Chuck_Of_Wah post.

-- so many posts about TOOL fans who did not know the lyrics - now excuse me but this is just bullshit. if you go to a TOOL concert (or any other concert) to make judgments about other people based on how well they know the lyrics, then you must be seriously fucked. and if you go to a TOOL concert (or any other concert) to show other people how much better fan you are because you know the lyrics and they don't, then you must be completely fucked. besides, i don't like when someone tries to imitate the singer and screams words into my ear.

-- did anyone notice poor quality of the ticket? printed on the paper, not the cardboard, as it's usually done for big concerts.. for this price of the ticket i should expect something nicer as a souvenir.. don't you think? and this ticket looks like it could be counterfeited..

Last edited by bzx; 06-25-2006 at 02:55 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #70
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 41

just to make a comment, yeah believe it or not non-Polish speaking peoples read these comments too, so Im sure they appreciate that you use English.

Here is something interesting that Danny said in that interview: "Teraz czekają nas jakieś dwa lata koncertów, potem rok przerwy i pewnie nowa płyta. Taki jest plan. Choć mam nadzieję, że nagramy ją wcześniej. Z drugiej strony nie ma sensu niczego na siłę przyśpieszać. " which translated means 2 next years on tour, a years break and then a new album, though he hopes new album will be out sooner....
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 03:12 PM   #71
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzx
-- this is an English-spoken forum, that's why we should write in English. those who do not understand that fact are ignorant. i support Chuck_Of_Wah post.

-- so many posts about TOOL fans who did not know the lyrics - now excuse me but this is just bullshit. if you go to a TOOL concert (or any other concert) to make judgments about other people based on how well they know the lyrics, then you must be seriously fucked. and if you go to a TOOL concert (or any other concert) to show other people how much better fan you are because you know the lyrics and they don't, then you must be completely fucked. besides, i don't like when someone tries to imitate the singer and screams words into my ear.

-- did anyone notice poor quality of the ticket? printed on the paper, not the cardboard, as it's usually done for big concerts.. for this price of the ticket i should expect something nicer as a souvenir.. don't you think? and this ticket looks like it could be counterfeited..

I agree, it's pretty selfish to judge someone just because they don't know the lyrics. Tool always says to read the lyrics later on, to pay attention to the music. Well what if someone was new to TOOL? Let them enjoy the music, who cares if they don't know the lyrics.

Yeah, the ticket was poor quality, but I have a different problem with the ticket than you do:) If tickets are on thick rough paper that resembles cardboard, they usually have a hologram and just the concert information PRINTED on it, I saw a ticket of today's show, my friend had it, he's in Prague now probably after the show. anyway, the ticket had no graphics, Just info: TOOL - Prague CZ and some dates and seat and sector numbers.

What *I* didn't like was that they made the graphics of our Spodek ticket look like shit, because if you hold the licket so that the letters say "tool" right side up, the two blue eyes on the sides (from the lateralus artwork) are upside down. Obviously the thing was designed by someone who wasn't familiar with TOOL's album art. also, the font for "TOOL" was from the lateralus era and so was the background graphics BUT this is all understandable, because when the tickets went on sale, and when they were printed, the current artwork and fonts from 10 000 DAYS had not yet been revealed. No one knew what they were going to look like. So the thing for me is that not only is the ticket on cheap paper, but it also looks cheap, but that's MetalMind for ya ;)
Old 06-25-2006, 03:59 PM   #72
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was awesome!!!
I was in the middle of the floor and sound was good, maybe a bit to loud. People around me were singing all the time, sometimes I couldn't even hear Maynard.

However, next time I will buy ticket for a seat, because stupid behaviour of some people interrupts the experience.

Great moment - during Aenema when "and I'm praying for..." started - all hands up and crowd singing.

Highlight - Lateralus

Last edited by Bober; 06-25-2006 at 04:36 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #73
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
1. I had people around me surprised that ISIS wasn't opening though this has been a widely-known fact for over 2 months now, so those people whom I told this were all like "aaaaaawwwww, what the f*ck?! They better make this the best, longest show ever!" which posed yet another problem...

2. ...The fact that the european dates are also warm-up shows. Literally NOBODY knew this. Every time, the conversation between another fan and me looked like this:

"gee, I hope they play Sober"
and I was like "they will"
they were like "how the fuck do you know"
and I'd be like "cause I know the whole setlist by heart, cause it's the same in every european country..."
and they were like "no way, how?"
and i'd be like "yeah, it's a warm-up tour, the show is only gonna be 1.5 hrs..."
and they were like "REALLY?!?!?! bullshit, I don't believe you..."

PART 2 below.
i'm totally with You on this one. i just couldn't believe people just didn't do their homework! the concert to me was exactly what i have expected it to be, cuz i read the f**king manual - i took a few minutes to read reviews of other concerts, so i learned how it's gonna be like and i knew it's going to be a warm up...

but of course, polish crowd thought Tool is U2, and their gonna do a special 3hr show especially for us, the chosen ones...DUH!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #74
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
You still don't get the point dude. I'll write it out in syllables for you, maybe it will help that I'll only use one-syllable words:

IT - WAS - A - WARM - UP - SHOW

Another thing. Do you know what a setlist is for?

It exists because something that seems so simple to you that you decide to take it for granted, some things, like planning a worldwide tour need *calculation* (wyrachowanie), so that the musicians know the order of their set, so that it is *planned out* (zaplanowane), so that they stick to a *fixed* timeline (ustalone) because they have to be in Prague a couple hundred kilometers away the very next fucking day (which you clearly don't give two shits about), so that they don't fuck anything up because they have been doing it for over 15 years and it would look kind of silly if they did (profesjonalne).

They were not going to play longer, this was obvious, it was a well known fact and if you were disappointed, it's because you did not know that the only thing you could expect from this concert was a warm-up show. I'm not going to be the one to force you out of the damn closet, but if you had THOUGHT for just 10 seconds, maybe youd have come to toolnavy earlier, you'd have seen what the warm-up shows looked like and you caould have said "No, this is not worth it, it's a short, 90minute warm-up show, not for this money, too expensive".

Even with ISIS, after it turned out they were not going to play, and after it turned out there would be no support group at all, you could have sold the ticket easily online.

Don't blame TOOL for the fact that YOU didn't feel like doing your homework.

Next time, get off your negative complaining ass and THINK.

Nie proponuj nikomu by myślał, to niegrzeczne. Koncert był warty każdego złotego, spędziełem weekend w samochodzie pokonując dystans z/do Gdańska by na nim być. I nie żałuję. Rozbawił mnie jedynie Twój chirurgiczny opis. To wszystko. Szlifuj angielski ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #75
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

Justin came out and that's when ALL HELL unleashed. 5000 people started pushing like crazy, I felt my ribcage was about to crack a couple of times, it was really dangerous. At one point, the bars started tipping over, at which point the security had to hold them up to keep them from tipping all the way. You've probably felt that at some concert where the venue was over-packed and every time people leaned up to one side, you wouldn't fall cuz people on the other side were like an elastic wall holding you up, and then that wall pushed back the other way. it's not even like moshing, it's worse, it was people pushing and shoving just for the fuck of getting to the front, it was pathetic, and I saw some guys having to LITERALLY brutally shove and punch people around them ON PURPOSE just to desperately pull their exhausted girlfriends/wives out of that hell-hole.

this was my biggest disappointment. before buying the tickets i tried to learn from people which place is the best. some recommended sitting sectors, some recommended standing sector..i thought that Tool is not a pogo band so i chose standing sector.this was a huge mistake. me and my husband managed to get out of this crazy crowd aroung 46&2 and we found a safe place at the back, a bit to the left - there was a good view and a lot of space and air so we could comfortably watch the show instead of trying to survive it...that's why i dont get this crazy-dance'n'jump'n'kick everyone attitude - i want to see the show not survive it.

so i learned my lesson and i'm buing the seats next time
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-26-2006, 02:35 AM   #76
Level 4 - Thinker

Well well well...

To all you complaining about the sound quality: next time pick up a pair of ear plugs and you'll be fine, the sound was crystal clear to me even with the somewhat muddy bass.

I was kind of disappointed that they didn't play 'the pot' and that maynard was back to his old 'don't give a fuck about the croud' attitude. then again with all the fucked up piece of shit moshers in the audience - i think they fucking deserved it. moshing to tool songs = totally missing the point.

It sucked that the stage was so low, im not a short guy but from the floor all i could see was the top 1/3 of the screens and an occasional danny carey :)

So, all in all, the band performance was spot on, too bad the 'fans' didn't get it. oh well.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-26-2006, 02:35 AM   #77
Level 3 - Talker

Ok - few cents from me.
1. my 2nd TOOL show (last one was Warsaw)
2. LK/RS had a little bit less impact live than I expected. just a little bit. ;)
3. they played 46&2 - that made me sooo happy
4. jambi IS a great live song (enjoyed it more than on the album acutally) - and from what I heard he's rather singing "Damn my eyes", but it's weird, so I dunno...
5. the intro before sober sounded a bit like faaip thing for me - nice!
6. during sober, the visuals contained more material than on video (there was some cool tattoed chest or something like this) - is this something new or I just missed sth?
7. the band having a break onstage - never seen it before and I totally liked it :)
8. during vicarious I got the idea that the lyrics were tuned up a little bit and sounded clearer - this song has great live feeling (oh and the very simple effect of putting "tv-noise" on the screens did the trick for me!)
9. although I was totally tuned to hear the new songs live, I must admit that aenima must have been the best performed song that evening - I almost clapped a hole in my laps (had a sitting place)

Here's exactly what (from my real-time notes) MJK said:
1. (between LK/RS and stinkfist): "Good evening"
2. (before aenima): "Thanks very much. See you soon. Hopefully in November".

And few words about Sober. I liked the way MJK left the chorus with holes for fans to sing, but I noticed one thing. During (I guess) 2nd chorus he sang like: "Why.... I just.... MOMMY, Why.... I just....". Maybe it was "TELL ME" but it felt like "MOMMY". Wonder why... :)

Summing up - TOOL's TOOL. They never dissapoint, Unless you expect to see a Linkin Park or Metallica show. ;) I paid a lot of cash for the ticket (around $80 + train + longsleeve with "THE eye" ;)) but I'd known it was coming and I was ready. So I just spent my cash. Period.

Cheers.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:33 AM   #78
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_okay
Well well well...
To all you complaining about the sound quality: next time pick up a pair of ear plugs and you'll be fine, the sound was crystal clear to me even with the somewhat muddy bass.
What kind of earplugs would you recommend? I saw someone with just small balls of cotton in their ears - i don't know if it's enough or not... I don't think that typical swimming earplugs are ok, because they're too hermetic - they only pass low frequencies, which were already very strong.

'Thanks from the mountain' for your advice :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-26-2006, 03:46 AM   #79
Level 4 - Thinker

Whoa, definitely hot place here... see how tool fans react :). All in all Chuck makes a good summaries in-between, so worth reading.

"during vicarious I got the idea that the lyrics were tuned up a little bit and sounded clearer - this song has great live feeling (oh and the very simple effect of putting "tv-noise" on the screens did the trick for me!)"

Ouch... sorry, pal, this is the video from aenima tour. Pretty old :). in 2001 it was played to 46'n'2 (in Warsaw) and to Swamp Song (in Krakow) - for which it was originally made, I suspect.

"from what I heard he's rather singing "Damn my eyes", but it's weird, so I dunno..."

Jambi - I'm gonna bet :P

As for ticket design - please remember that they were designed and printed before official TTD artwork has been released. They planned to release tickets as soon as possible (stupid and dunno why, but they for sure got reasons), so that's why the old (pretty lame yes, but ok when compared to ozzfest 2002 ticket :P) design happened.

Commenting about negative transimttal in TTD, I was rather joking. Catching the overall message in TOOL albums is rather fishy. You could for sure say, that whole Lateralus brings very positive feeling. Aenima just stay cryptic, and you can interpret it whatever way you like (Pushit could be positive or negative after all, depends on the light you see it in). TTD is more "the world is going down, so sad, but, uh, we don't really care, do we?" message. Definitely a blues album, where the pain is somewhat put. But then again MJK attitude change abit too. He stated in recent reviews that until Lateralus he believed that collective conscious, knowledge and cooperation can lift us up. But unfortunately he is not ths way anymore. And this has it's reflection in TTD.

It's not a place for such disscusion anyway, so let's EOT and focus on concert reviews.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:08 AM   #80
Level 3 - Talker

rattkin: thanks for info - mustave been high at Warsaw concert ;)
rattkin2: about "Jambi I" - I won't bet, cause I sat further from you probably :)
to all those who counted for more light effects than music itself: maybe tool should hire naked jugglers to perform onstage to sattisfy you? :o

oh and one more thing. there was this guy sitting in a row behind me. every "more popular" song (stinkfist/sober) he started pounding his head off and smashing the table (there were actually small tables at each seat) with his fists. goddamn - it felt like each time he was trying to break the table either with his fists or his head. luckily some woman talked to his senses before I got to him.
I mean - when you buy an expensive seat at the concert, you'll probably wanna enjoy the show with full view and hopefully-not-so-shitty sound. why then one would get so horny on start of a song he knows, that he looses control over his limbs and creates so much noise that even a band itself acts as a background.
but then - maybe he got the ticket for free...

Last edited by stoPMe; 06-26-2006 at 05:15 AM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: