Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
isurusband's Avatar isurusband
10-28-2010, 12:34 AM

Isurus are a progressive rock band from London, England.

The main trait and solidifying force within the band is a progressive and original style of musicality and artwork in general. This ethos infiltrates every aspect of the project and is not only reserved for their music. The current line up of Isurus consists of Martin Szomszor on bass, Thomas Drew on drums and Lizod on guitar. The band is currently engaged in a search for a suitable vocalist. If you are interested in auditioning, contact us through: [email protected] or on our myspace/facebook pages.

Check our material out, we hope you like it!

www.isurusband.com
http://www.myspace.com/isurusband
http://www.facebook.com/pages/isurus/50151860525
http://www.youtube.com/isurusband
http://www.isurusforum.com/

Below is a direct link to a video of a live performance in our studio:

http://www.youtube.com/isurusband#p/a/u/0/lyFtKQQPY6k
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Isurus. British Progressive Rock / Metal Band

Isurus are a progressive rock band from London, England.

The main trait and solidifying force within the band is a progressive and original style of musicality and artwork in general. This ethos infiltrates every aspect of the project and is not only reserved for their music. The current line up of Isurus consists of Martin Szomszor on bass, Thomas Drew on drums and Lizod on guitar. The band is currently engaged in a search for a suitable vocalist. If you are interested in auditioning, contact us through: [email protected] or on our myspace/facebook pages.

Check our material out, we hope you like it!

www.isurusband.com
http://www.myspace.com/isurusband
http://www.facebook.com/pages/isurus/50151860525
http://www.youtube.com/isurusband
http://www.isurusforum.com/

Below is a direct link to a video of a live performance in our studio:

http://www.youtube.com/isurusband#p/a/u/0/lyFtKQQPY6k
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
jakesstuff_69's Avatar jakesstuff_69
10-28-2010, 07:10 AM

those drums sound terrible. altogether production of the sound seems really low. The music has potential, just get better recording gear and instruments
Old 10-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Ski Free

Bincount™: 1219
Re: Isurus. British Progressive Rock / Metal Band

those drums sound terrible. altogether production of the sound seems really low. The music has potential, just get better recording gear and instruments
10-30-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesstuff_69 View Post
Bear in mind that this is a demo that we've created to find a singer.

What recording gear and instruments would you recommend and do you have any production techniques that you would also suggest?

I am the drummer and use a Drum Workshop Collectors series kit going into a Mackie mixing desk then into Cubase via 3 M Audio Delta 1010 AD/DA converters. Then we use Solid State Logic Duende PICe card for compression and EQ. We monitor through Genelec 8030 monitors. So, there is really nothing lacking in terms of gear or know how.

I think that the issue is that this is a DEMO. It has NOT been mastered. The loudness has not been bought up to the level of a commercial mix, etc.

But by all means, if you have any other wise and obviously well informed advice, feel free to share.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesstuff_69 View Post
Bear in mind that this is a demo that we've created to find a singer.

What recording gear and instruments would you recommend and do you have any production techniques that you would also suggest?

I am the drummer and use a Drum Workshop Collectors series kit going into a Mackie mixing desk then into Cubase via 3 M Audio Delta 1010 AD/DA converters. Then we use Solid State Logic Duende PICe card for compression and EQ. We monitor through Genelec 8030 monitors. So, there is really nothing lacking in terms of gear or know how.

I think that the issue is that this is a DEMO. It has NOT been mastered. The loudness has not been bought up to the level of a commercial mix, etc.

But by all means, if you have any other wise and obviously well informed advice, feel free to share.
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
11-04-2010, 07:36 AM

a bit sensitive?

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

a bit sensitive?

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Metlamaniac's Avatar Metlamaniac
11-04-2010, 11:21 AM

Why get a vocalist? Instrumental all the way. Work on bass drum sound I think. Good job
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 15

Why get a vocalist? Instrumental all the way. Work on bass drum sound I think. Good job
jakesstuff_69's Avatar jakesstuff_69
11-04-2010, 11:57 AM

for me, the toms and snare drum sound really flat like you have deadened the resonance of them too much. And the bass drum is a little too quiet compared to the rest of the set. The cymbals all sound fine. When I listen to all of those demos I hear that the guitars tone changes with the music, but the drums sound all the same through most of it. I'd definitely tamper around with your EQ and mixing levels of the drums. And don't be afraid to change those levels per song to get more bassier tones during heavy parts of the song and vice versa.

I don't know much about recording drums, so Idk what equipment you need or should get. I just know that they could sound way better.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Ski Free

Bincount™: 1219

for me, the toms and snare drum sound really flat like you have deadened the resonance of them too much. And the bass drum is a little too quiet compared to the rest of the set. The cymbals all sound fine. When I listen to all of those demos I hear that the guitars tone changes with the music, but the drums sound all the same through most of it. I'd definitely tamper around with your EQ and mixing levels of the drums. And don't be afraid to change those levels per song to get more bassier tones during heavy parts of the song and vice versa.

I don't know much about recording drums, so Idk what equipment you need or should get. I just know that they could sound way better.
11-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveboat Captain View Post
a bit sensitive?
Hahaha!! Got a point there.

Metlamaniac - We have considered continuing as an instrumental band and for a long while I thought it was the way forward but I'd like to hear what a good singer can do. Also, I'm loving the bass drum sound. It may be the way that it is interacting with the bass guitar that you are hearing.

jakesstuff - Apologies for my snyde remark directed at you. To be honest we had a problem with the tom sound due to the mics that we ended up using. I am now experimenting with using a new reverb that we have recently bought. This is far from the finished product, just a demo. i.e. not mastered, etc as we thought it's not worth doing until we have a full line up with material finalized.

Well, we have been pretty successful with finding a singer and have about 10 people coming in for auditions but if there's anyone else on here that is interested, get in touch at [email protected]

So as our material becomes more complete and higher quality recordings, etc, I'll post it up hear and then get very sensitive about any responses that I get.

Cheers!!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveboat Captain View Post
a bit sensitive?
Hahaha!! Got a point there.

Metlamaniac - We have considered continuing as an instrumental band and for a long while I thought it was the way forward but I'd like to hear what a good singer can do. Also, I'm loving the bass drum sound. It may be the way that it is interacting with the bass guitar that you are hearing.

jakesstuff - Apologies for my snyde remark directed at you. To be honest we had a problem with the tom sound due to the mics that we ended up using. I am now experimenting with using a new reverb that we have recently bought. This is far from the finished product, just a demo. i.e. not mastered, etc as we thought it's not worth doing until we have a full line up with material finalized.

Well, we have been pretty successful with finding a singer and have about 10 people coming in for auditions but if there's anyone else on here that is interested, get in touch at [email protected]

So as our material becomes more complete and higher quality recordings, etc, I'll post it up hear and then get very sensitive about any responses that I get.

Cheers!!
fearandloathing's Avatar fearandloathing
11-04-2010, 08:17 PM

I listened to that youtube video and I gotta say, it's not bad. I wouldn't call the drums terrible, although they're certainly subpar. like what was said before, get better equipment and it would sound good. I also think you're fine without a vocalist, but that's your decision to make.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 14

I listened to that youtube video and I gotta say, it's not bad. I wouldn't call the drums terrible, although they're certainly subpar. like what was said before, get better equipment and it would sound good. I also think you're fine without a vocalist, but that's your decision to make.
11-05-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearandloathing View Post
Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated.

Next recording we make I'll be working a lot on drum sound.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearandloathing View Post
Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated.

Next recording we make I'll be working a lot on drum sound.
Tyro
11-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Watched the youtube video. I think that the music is good but I think the guitar tone is a bit thin and the bass could use a bit of crunch/murkiness to blend a bit. (to my ear)

And yes, I'm aware this isn't mastered and that the tones could sound waaaayyyyy better live than the youtube video.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 101

Watched the youtube video. I think that the music is good but I think the guitar tone is a bit thin and the bass could use a bit of crunch/murkiness to blend a bit. (to my ear)

And yes, I'm aware this isn't mastered and that the tones could sound waaaayyyyy better live than the youtube video.
11-12-2010, 02:18 PM

I think you definitely have serious potential, although I have to agree- there's a "tinny" sound all around, I'm partial to "thicker" sounds. On the plus side, there's a nice smoothness to it, reminds me of Mastodon. (Though I personally wouldn't go that route with vocals, it's overdone..) Serious potential, definitely.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
Banned.

Bincount™: 3

I think you definitely have serious potential, although I have to agree- there's a "tinny" sound all around, I'm partial to "thicker" sounds. On the plus side, there's a nice smoothness to it, reminds me of Mastodon. (Though I personally wouldn't go that route with vocals, it's overdone..) Serious potential, definitely.
11-14-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobahn View Post
Thanks Tyro and Siobahn for your input.

I agree about the sound and am working on it as we speak. Next release will be much more full sounding.

Also, I would totally agree that what we have is potential, it's just turning that potential into a reality that is the difficult part. Right now the main focus for us has to be finding a singer which has been going on for a while now. We have been holding auditions every week in the studio but are still yet to find the right person. It's not easy.

Check this out: The singer from this band.. http://www.myspace.com/definitiverage - is looking for a new band and I have sent a message to her but not received a reply in 2 days.. GODAMNIT!!! I think she would be perfect. What do you think?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:25 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Thanks Tyro and Siobahn for your input.

I agree about the sound and am working on it as we speak. Next release will be much more full sounding.

Also, I would totally agree that what we have is potential, it's just turning that potential into a reality that is the difficult part. Right now the main focus for us has to be finding a singer which has been going on for a while now. We have been holding auditions every week in the studio but are still yet to find the right person. It's not easy.

Check this out: The singer from this band.. http://www.myspace.com/definitiverage - is looking for a new band and I have sent a message to her but not received a reply in 2 days.. GODAMNIT!!! I think she would be perfect. What do you think?
siobahn
11-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isurusband View Post
No idea...can't get the page to open fully and play anything =^(
Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Banned.

Quote:
11-16-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, myspace was being weird today. Try now. I've been in touch with the singer so we'll see.

According to a dozen or so messages I've received from random youtube users, female singers are the future. Who am I to argue??
Old 11-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Yeah, myspace was being weird today. Try now. I've been in touch with the singer so we'll see.

According to a dozen or so messages I've received from random youtube users, female singers are the future. Who am I to argue??
siobahn
11-17-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Normally, I'm not fond of female singers, I find them annoying as hell. But this one IS good- sounds like the chick from Stolen Babies! Good choice ;^)
Old 11-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #15
Banned.

Quote:

Normally, I'm not fond of female singers, I find them annoying as hell. But this one IS good- sounds like the chick from Stolen Babies! Good choice ;^)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply