Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
elusivEuphoria's Avatar elusivEuphoria
10-25-2010, 07:33 AM

I'm looking to get flange and tremolo effects added to my chain and I'd like to get some thoughts from you folks if possible. My hope would be to have some expression compatibility with both effects, mainly to change the rate in both cases. It feels like a pipe dream, but I would love to be able to control both while playing, moving them both in and out of phase with each other. But even if I can't have that, I'd like to hear some recommendations. Versatility is always a strong point with me, and i like it when pedals do unexpected or "undesired" things. So even if you know of some pedals that do funky things you don't like, let me know nonetheless. For example, I have a boss PS-5 with a T. Arm effect that whenever you play chords with anymore than two strings, the notes start jumping all over the place, kind of falling out of pitch. I love that! Sounds crazy.

Also any wah pedal recommendations thou might have would be appreciated too.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 10-25-2010 at 07:37 AM..
Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860
Pedal advice

I'm looking to get flange and tremolo effects added to my chain and I'd like to get some thoughts from you folks if possible. My hope would be to have some expression compatibility with both effects, mainly to change the rate in both cases. It feels like a pipe dream, but I would love to be able to control both while playing, moving them both in and out of phase with each other. But even if I can't have that, I'd like to hear some recommendations. Versatility is always a strong point with me, and i like it when pedals do unexpected or "undesired" things. So even if you know of some pedals that do funky things you don't like, let me know nonetheless. For example, I have a boss PS-5 with a T. Arm effect that whenever you play chords with anymore than two strings, the notes start jumping all over the place, kind of falling out of pitch. I love that! Sounds crazy.

Also any wah pedal recommendations thou might have would be appreciated too.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 10-25-2010 at 07:37 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
10-25-2010, 04:33 PM

Well, you can go Tom Morello style; he used to use an Ibanez flanger (now he apparently uses a MXR Phase 90 instead, which is a phaser) and a Boss TR-2 tremolo.

Personally, I have a DOD flanger. It has a very wide range of adjustment, from slow drone to super fast spaceship. I got it because it was cheap, and it turned out to be pretty good. Maxing out the settings yields a fairly trippy effect.

As for wah pedals, I've had good success with the classic Dunlop Crybaby. I've tried a couple other ones, including one in a big Boss multi-board, and they weren't nearly as good.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988
Re: Pedal advice

Well, you can go Tom Morello style; he used to use an Ibanez flanger (now he apparently uses a MXR Phase 90 instead, which is a phaser) and a Boss TR-2 tremolo.

Personally, I have a DOD flanger. It has a very wide range of adjustment, from slow drone to super fast spaceship. I got it because it was cheap, and it turned out to be pretty good. Maxing out the settings yields a fairly trippy effect.

As for wah pedals, I've had good success with the classic Dunlop Crybaby. I've tried a couple other ones, including one in a big Boss multi-board, and they weren't nearly as good.
10-25-2010, 04:41 PM

yup, the original crybaby is the best... also the only effect i use
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Old 10-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897

yup, the original crybaby is the best... also the only effect i use
10-25-2010, 05:36 PM

How well does the original crybaby handle the lower frequencies? Sometimes i like getting really deep in the mucky low end just to prove a point.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

How well does the original crybaby handle the lower frequencies? Sometimes i like getting really deep in the mucky low end just to prove a point.
imatoolhed's Avatar imatoolhed
10-25-2010, 05:58 PM

very nice imo
Old 10-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #5

very nice imo
Mooseifer's Avatar Mooseifer
10-26-2010, 10:48 AM

I've been using a Cry Baby for years until recently when I had to replace it with one of the newer versions. Hasn't been the same for me... I can't put my finger on what I don't like about it, it just doesn't feel right.

This make me unhappy...

Like this :(
Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
the moose is loose

Bincount™: 7462

I've been using a Cry Baby for years until recently when I had to replace it with one of the newer versions. Hasn't been the same for me... I can't put my finger on what I don't like about it, it just doesn't feel right.

This make me unhappy...

10-26-2010, 02:45 PM

check out pawn shops
Old 10-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #7

check out pawn shops
10-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseifer View Post

This make me unhappy...

See I've heard that before. My dad got a [new] original cry baby not too long ago, he's pleased with it, but when I've used it, it doesn't seem any more articulate or broader (in sweep that is) than the wah I have, which is just a run of the mill Line 6 wah/volume pedal on my foot controller. But I also never gave it a go in my effects chain, on my amp, with my guitars so i never felt i gave it a fair shake. But because of that, I've been pondering the 535Q, but everyone seems to say they are more pleased with the vintage dunlop wahs, rather than the ones they are making now.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseifer View Post

This make me unhappy...

See I've heard that before. My dad got a [new] original cry baby not too long ago, he's pleased with it, but when I've used it, it doesn't seem any more articulate or broader (in sweep that is) than the wah I have, which is just a run of the mill Line 6 wah/volume pedal on my foot controller. But I also never gave it a go in my effects chain, on my amp, with my guitars so i never felt i gave it a fair shake. But because of that, I've been pondering the 535Q, but everyone seems to say they are more pleased with the vintage dunlop wahs, rather than the ones they are making now.
imatoolhed's Avatar imatoolhed
10-26-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatoolhed View Post
check out pawn shops
Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:
check out pawn shops
10-26-2010, 07:54 PM

Don't worry bro, message received.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

Don't worry bro, message received.
10-26-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
check out pawn shops
Craigslist imo
Old 10-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
check out pawn shops
Craigslist imo
10-26-2010, 10:05 PM

true
Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #12

true
MypugsAreSmarterThanYou's Avatar MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
10-29-2010, 06:18 AM

I own the crybaby from hell. The sweep isn't as great as others but what I noticed when playing other wahs, was you don't really lose your distortion as much when the effect comes on with the dimebag cry.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #13
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 116

I own the crybaby from hell. The sweep isn't as great as others but what I noticed when playing other wahs, was you don't really lose your distortion as much when the effect comes on with the dimebag cry.
11-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
i think that, if you really like "unspexpected things" and stuff, the 535q is good choice.
playing at least just a track without all the noisy distortion of metal, you can get a sort of dyna-effect just with the red button boost.

that plus going up and down with the pedal and also with the freq selector, you may find a weird thing that once upon a time was the sound of something like a guitar.

you can even use an epilady and go for the weirdest thing ever: a shaved legs guitarrist on stage (?)
Old 11-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Kq_
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
i think that, if you really like "unspexpected things" and stuff, the 535q is good choice.
playing at least just a track without all the noisy distortion of metal, you can get a sort of dyna-effect just with the red button boost.

that plus going up and down with the pedal and also with the freq selector, you may find a weird thing that once upon a time was the sound of something like a guitar.

you can even use an epilady and go for the weirdest thing ever: a shaved legs guitarrist on stage (?)
11-07-2010, 03:20 PM

I've used my electric toothbrush before :)
Old 11-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Level 10 - Vehement

I've used my electric toothbrush before :)
11-07-2010, 10:19 PM

^ I've done that too, produces a great sound
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
Level 11 - Clamorous

^ I've done that too, produces a great sound

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply