opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate » 6. Opiate
User Name
Password
Old 01-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Anybody heard this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ... well, said by MJK, before playing Opiate on the "Live in Houston" CD
Ever heard of... Jesus, or Buddah? Krishna? Mohammed, any of those guys? They had some pretty good ideas. Then their agents started trying to make some money on them, and fucked everything up. Never trust an agent. This song is about those agents.
So no, this song isn't about Jesus. It's about the people (agents) that use Jesus and his messages and teaching for their benefit. This really leads me to believe that MJK doesn't hate religion as a lot of people have suggested, but that he hates people that use religion to control people.

Makes a lot of sense to me, especially considering some of the stuff he sings about in his 10,000 days.
I don't think it matters what everyone else's opinion is on the meaning of a song. If you find a particular interpretation of a song that you really like and that has special meaning to you, then thats the meaning of the song for you. The songs are written by, and for, different points of view. Unless you're the millionaire rock star that wrote it, you'll never know what the true meaning of a song is.

Last edited by satchel; 01-24-2007 at 07:01 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5
Re: Anybody heard this?

its about whatever you want it to be about, dude.

as with any song
Terrified of what may come.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Medium Pimpin'

Bincount™: 1282

It's about anal sex. Like all of Tool's music. DUH!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

Quote from Maynard before he sings "Passive"

"This next song is called Fuck Britney Spears....in the ass"

C'mon, how relavent are the things maynard says before a song really?

I think that maynard is just bashing organized religion. You know, "Deaf and blind, and dumb and born to follow"
Old 02-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolloot View Post
It's about anal sex. Like all of Tool's music. DUH!
yeah! i heard him say something like that before 4 degrees on distortiononline.com

"this song, like all the songs. is about ass-sex"
Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
On Probation

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
So no, this song isn't about Jesus. It's about the people (agents) that use Jesus and his messages and teaching for their benefit. This really leads me to believe that MJK doesn't hate religion as a lot of people have suggested, but that he hates people that use religion to control people.

Makes a lot of sense to me, especially considering some of the stuff he sings about in his 10,000 days.

you contradict yourself. you say he says the songs not about jesus, right after you quote him saying the song is about jesus. i think he is saying, exactly, that he hates religion. jesus wasnt a religion. christianity is a religion that claims to follow the teaching of christ. claims bealing the key word.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

I thought Nard said in an early interview that this song was about Catholic Priests who would rape nuns and young boys.

For real.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaner View Post
you contradict yourself. you say he says the songs not about jesus, right after you quote him saying the song is about jesus. i think he is saying, exactly, that he hates religion. jesus wasnt a religion. christianity is a religion that claims to follow the teaching of christ. claims bealing the key word.
Did you read what the quote said? The song is about "those agents". I'd try to explain what he said to you, but I'd just be repeating the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushit_Salival
its about whatever you want it to be about, dude.

as with any song
If you believe that, what are you doing on the opinion forums?
I don't think it matters what everyone else's opinion is on the meaning of a song. If you find a particular interpretation of a song that you really like and that has special meaning to you, then thats the meaning of the song for you. The songs are written by, and for, different points of view. Unless you're the millionaire rock star that wrote it, you'll never know what the true meaning of a song is.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post

If you believe that, what are you doing on the opinion forums?
Oh, I wasn't aware that stating my opinion wasn't allowed on the opinion forums.

My bad.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

So wait, you get on my case for stating my opinion, then get defensive when I fire back? Whaaa?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #11
On Probation

Bincount™: 191

^ its the forum life. get used to it.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

Or i could just leave and forget I ever came on this message board. Come to think of it...
Old 03-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushit_Salival View Post
Oh, I wasn't aware that stating my opinion wasn't allowed on the opinion forums.

My bad.
The song's meaning is what Maynard intended it to be.

The meaning for you is something completely different. But as far as the song meaning, it only has one - the thought that was in the head of the writer.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
On Probation

The song isn't about hating religion or being against it.
Opiate is about the people who try to shove their religion down everyone's throats.
And I agree with Pushit_Salival who said that the song was about whatever you wanted it to be.
Adam said something like that in an interview with JJJ Australian radio.
The meanings of the songs can be about whatever you want them to be, as long as the meanings you find are positive.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Well I think it is very easy for one to play devils advocate and agree or disagree with everyone on this thread but to me yes the religious iconography is most definitely in here and you do get the idea it is about the people who use religion for profits of their own but according to their own commandments they will have to live with that and be judged for it. But in saying that I understand that they probably don't care or believe in their religion anyway, but that's living a life full of nothing and emptiness. Veni Vedi Vici
Old 06-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

As with all their songs take what you will out of it and grow. Some may get Joy some may take offence.
I myself take it as him being fed up with people who blindly follow what someone over them will say. The world is (and always has been.) filled with people who just need someone to lead them because they just don't want to search for themselves. It's so much easier to be told the way to go and not "Learn to Swim." and take things deeper.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: