Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 03. Wings for Marie
User Name
Password
13th_Shell
06-26-2006, 12:07 PM

I'm relatively new here, so try not to thrash me too bad if my thoughts have already been discussed.

The line, "Day light dims leaving cold fluorescence" reminds me of sitting with someone in a hospital, watching the sun dip under the horizon and having the day light replaced with that eerie tint of fluorescent light from the ceiling bulbs.

And the next line, "Difficult to see you in this light" surely represents the notion that it's emotionally hard for him to see her in this place and in this state.

The rest I believe is him asking her what he should say to all the people (ghouls)that are haunting him with questions about his mother. It's a selfish question because he's asking for her help in her time of need. Then he offers her a suggestion or gives her an example of what he would tell them.

I hope that made at least a little sense. I'm especially in love with this snippet of lyrics because I've been in that room before. In my mind, these lyrics describe a scene that is all too familiar for me.

Am I just relating these lyrics to something personal when they mean something else all together?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Hospital room?

I'm relatively new here, so try not to thrash me too bad if my thoughts have already been discussed.

The line, "Day light dims leaving cold fluorescence" reminds me of sitting with someone in a hospital, watching the sun dip under the horizon and having the day light replaced with that eerie tint of fluorescent light from the ceiling bulbs.

And the next line, "Difficult to see you in this light" surely represents the notion that it's emotionally hard for him to see her in this place and in this state.

The rest I believe is him asking her what he should say to all the people (ghouls)that are haunting him with questions about his mother. It's a selfish question because he's asking for her help in her time of need. Then he offers her a suggestion or gives her an example of what he would tell them.

I hope that made at least a little sense. I'm especially in love with this snippet of lyrics because I've been in that room before. In my mind, these lyrics describe a scene that is all too familiar for me.

Am I just relating these lyrics to something personal when they mean something else all together?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Get_Ya_Wicked_On
06-26-2006, 12:13 PM

Good shit. Me likey...
Old 06-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17
Re: Hospital room?

Good shit. Me likey...
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
06-26-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th_Shell

Those are some good thoughts man, who cares if they are relating to something personal... That's part of what it's all about! :)
Old 06-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

Those are some good thoughts man, who cares if they are relating to something personal... That's part of what it's all about! :)
Impatient215's Avatar Impatient215
07-24-2006, 03:11 PM

I agree. When I first listened to WFM, I immediately visualized a hopital room when he says the line "Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence/fluorescents". I heard something about how fluorescent lights (especially the ones in hospitals) cast a sickly blue or green tint on everything, almost to the degree of distortion. That would explain why he says "Difficult to see you in this light" (besides the reason stated by 13th_Shell).
Old 07-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
Cat got my tongue

Bincount™: 3250

I agree. When I first listened to WFM, I immediately visualized a hopital room when he says the line "Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence/fluorescents". I heard something about how fluorescent lights (especially the ones in hospitals) cast a sickly blue or green tint on everything, almost to the degree of distortion. That would explain why he says "Difficult to see you in this light" (besides the reason stated by 13th_Shell).
Assimilate13's Avatar Assimilate13
07-24-2006, 04:15 PM

I, too, tend to think of WFM being written/conceived in a hospital room for the reasons stated above. 10,000 days, however, makes me think of the actual funeral (the religious imagery at the beginning/througout = in a church; "The ignorant flippants/fibbers/whatever in the congregation gather around spewing sympathy" = the others at the service; "difficult to see you in this light" = another possible interpretation of this line, that is, emotionally painful to see you this way as opposed to the literal difficulty in the stale, sickly light of a hospital room). I find it very interesting and fruitful to think of this/these song(s) in this way, to consider the actual scenarios that inspired it/them...
I'm pretty new here, so sorry if this has all been said before...
Old 07-24-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

I, too, tend to think of WFM being written/conceived in a hospital room for the reasons stated above. 10,000 days, however, makes me think of the actual funeral (the religious imagery at the beginning/througout = in a church; "The ignorant flippants/fibbers/whatever in the congregation gather around spewing sympathy" = the others at the service; "difficult to see you in this light" = another possible interpretation of this line, that is, emotionally painful to see you this way as opposed to the literal difficulty in the stale, sickly light of a hospital room). I find it very interesting and fruitful to think of this/these song(s) in this way, to consider the actual scenarios that inspired it/them...
I'm pretty new here, so sorry if this has all been said before...
parables in the world's Avatar parables in the world
07-24-2006, 07:48 PM

Also the drum at the end of Wings could be the time which she went.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14

lizbiz
07-26-2006, 08:28 AM

Great observations.

Now who are the 'Ghouls' he's going to see tonight?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Great observations.

mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
07-26-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:

this line is a beautiful piece of lyrical expression and perfection. of course nobody wants to be in that place. i've almost been there (indirectly) when my grandfather died. I knew he was sick (fuckin Cancer) and it was only a matter of time before it was the end of him. i did'nt really get the chance to say goodbye and i was affraid of what my friends and school mate would ask me off when i'd tell them. it was'nt fun at all
Old 07-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #8
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

Quote:

this line is a beautiful piece of lyrical expression and perfection. of course nobody wants to be in that place. i've almost been there (indirectly) when my grandfather died. I knew he was sick (fuckin Cancer) and it was only a matter of time before it was the end of him. i did'nt really get the chance to say goodbye and i was affraid of what my friends and school mate would ask me off when i'd tell them. it was'nt fun at all
EolianVision
07-26-2006, 10:01 AM

I've always imagined it as him at her actual funeral, with the sunlight fading leaving a cold florescence in the sky. Meaning it's difficult to see her in an open casket funeral. Asking her to tell him what to say in the Eulogy and explain who she was to "all these ghouls" and "the ignorant fibbers in the congregation". However I liked your interpretation too, and can definitely see it.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

I've always imagined it as him at her actual funeral, with the sunlight fading leaving a cold florescence in the sky. Meaning it's difficult to see her in an open casket funeral. Asking her to tell him what to say in the Eulogy and explain who she was to "all these ghouls" and "the ignorant fibbers in the congregation". However I liked your interpretation too, and can definitely see it.
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
07-26-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbiz
Great observations.

The ghouls are all the hippocrits and 'ingnorant fibbers in the congregation.' The same people who always put on the front like they were so sincere in their love and care for her. But, much like you will see in "the congregations" is a gathering of hippocrits....People who go to church geared towards nothing more than their own benefit....their own personal agenda....
Old 07-26-2006, 05:54 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbiz
Great observations.

The ghouls are all the hippocrits and 'ingnorant fibbers in the congregation.' The same people who always put on the front like they were so sincere in their love and care for her. But, much like you will see in "the congregations" is a gathering of hippocrits....People who go to church geared towards nothing more than their own benefit....their own personal agenda....
07-26-2006, 07:15 PM

I think "Wings" takes place at the hospital, and the final loud sound at the end (which sounds eerily like a casket closing) marks the moment of death. "10,000 Days" picks up during the funeral, I think, intercut with Judith's journey to heaven (or whatever you want to call it).
<ru5ty> wat
Old 07-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #11
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934

I think "Wings" takes place at the hospital, and the final loud sound at the end (which sounds eerily like a casket closing) marks the moment of death. "10,000 Days" picks up during the funeral, I think, intercut with Judith's journey to heaven (or whatever you want to call it).
<ru5ty> wat
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
07-26-2006, 09:53 PM

hmmmm....could be
Old 07-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

hmmmm....could be
10-08-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Chains View Post
This is exactly how I interpret that part as well.

Then what follows after, is a plea to god to give meaning to her life, a life that was based on love in its purest form and not being judgemental and fake like the congregation she was part of (at least that's the way I see it). She trancsended them in so many ways. It was a plea to god to give her her wings she deserved after living a life so completely devoid of malicious intent.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
This is exactly how I interpret that part as well.

Then what follows after, is a plea to god to give meaning to her life, a life that was based on love in its purest form and not being judgemental and fake like the congregation she was part of (at least that's the way I see it). She trancsended them in so many ways. It was a plea to god to give her her wings she deserved after living a life so completely devoid of malicious intent.
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
10-11-2006, 10:14 AM

"cold flouresence", what other setting could you possibly get from this?

a hospital, no shit.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:14 AM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

a hospital, no shit.
10-11-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Why would MJK say "I only pray heaven knows when to lift you out." at the funeral? She's been lifted out of the fire already, hasn't she?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 27

Quote:
Why would MJK say "I only pray heaven knows when to lift you out." at the funeral? She's been lifted out of the fire already, hasn't she?
05-21-2007, 12:24 AM

I agree completely with the OP.
As for the ghouls question, i believe it is the relatives. You know how when someone in your family dies, you always have the people at the hospital and at the funeral that haven't come to see the person in like, 5 years? You ask yourself,"why the fuck are they here? they didn't come to see them when they were alive."
Those people seem that they live on other's pain. They only come out when someone is sick or dead. I think that those are the ghouls. Just my 2 cents.

Now I'm out of my shell and I'm happier than whores with chivalrous clientele
Old 05-21-2007, 12:24 AM   #16

Bincount™: 26

I agree completely with the OP.
As for the ghouls question, i believe it is the relatives. You know how when someone in your family dies, you always have the people at the hospital and at the funeral that haven't come to see the person in like, 5 years? You ask yourself,"why the fuck are they here? they didn't come to see them when they were alive."
Those people seem that they live on other's pain. They only come out when someone is sick or dead. I think that those are the ghouls. Just my 2 cents.

Now I'm out of my shell and I'm happier than whores with chivalrous clientele
Ghostwriter's Avatar Ghostwriter
07-02-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parables in the world View Post
I think the gong marks her passing.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

Quote:
I think the gong marks her passing.
parables in the world's Avatar parables in the world
07-02-2007, 01:47 PM

it sounds like a mandala pad or something. I don't think it sounds like a gong. a gong has a more metalish sound. but yea either way you know what i mean.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14

it sounds like a mandala pad or something. I don't think it sounds like a gong. a gong has a more metalish sound. but yea either way you know what i mean.

p.r.a.i.s.e.'s Avatar p.r.a.i.s.e.
08-11-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th_Shell View Post

this is exactly what i thought too.
the mentioning of "cold fluorescence" just gives me the mental image of him standing beside her hospital bed.
i like your interpritation
Old 08-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

this is exactly what i thought too.
the mentioning of "cold fluorescence" just gives me the mental image of him standing beside her hospital bed.
i like your interpritation
Carny_Handles's Avatar Carny_Handles
03-16-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post

a hospital, no shit.

also the beeping of a heart monitor kinda gave it away for me too.

You can hear it in the beginning and in the end right after the guitar pans from L to R ear, there is a split second "beep" that is kinda faint. Its only audible with headphones btw.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #20
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post

a hospital, no shit.

also the beeping of a heart monitor kinda gave it away for me too.

You can hear it in the beginning and in the end right after the guitar pans from L to R ear, there is a split second "beep" that is kinda faint. Its only audible with headphones btw.
03-27-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:

dude i've srsly had the exact same image/idea of the situation since i heard the song. Great minds think alike.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

dude i've srsly had the exact same image/idea of the situation since i heard the song. Great minds think alike.
dekline
04-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. nikki jensen View Post
I was also in the same state of mind last year when my step father passed away with stomach cancer.Its hard to see people you love and care for in a place where you know the end is coming and there is nothing you can do about it.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. nikki jensen View Post
I was also in the same state of mind last year when my step father passed away with stomach cancer.Its hard to see people you love and care for in a place where you know the end is coming and there is nothing you can do about it.
theamazingtool's Avatar theamazingtool
04-24-2009, 08:50 AM

it sure is.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #23
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

it sure is.
Puzzle
05-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
That is how see it too. Being so, death kind of like splits this one big piece (WFM and 10000 days) in two parts. First part deals with moments before his mother's passing, second part with time after she's gone.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
That is how see it too. Being so, death kind of like splits this one big piece (WFM and 10000 days) in two parts. First part deals with moments before his mother's passing, second part with time after she's gone.
05-11-2011, 01:26 PM

The guitar hints at it being cyclical. life and death then life then death. wings part 2 is her new life beginning in heaven
Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #25

The guitar hints at it being cyclical. life and death then life then death. wings part 2 is her new life beginning in heaven
62827's Avatar 62827
05-11-2011, 04:21 PM

I find it interesting how "hospital" is a re-occuring theme on this album. Obviously "Lost Keys" takes place in a hospital setting too, I wonder if there's any correlation with that and WFM + 10,000 Days but I would suspect not.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #26

I find it interesting how "hospital" is a re-occuring theme on this album. Obviously "Lost Keys" takes place in a hospital setting too, I wonder if there's any correlation with that and WFM + 10,000 Days but I would suspect not.
05-31-2011, 09:21 PM

That is interesting that there are several mentions to a hospital. This also correlates to The Patient. An overall theme of healing throughout Tool's work?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #27

That is interesting that there are several mentions to a hospital. This also correlates to The Patient. An overall theme of healing throughout Tool's work?
62827's Avatar 62827
06-01-2011, 08:21 PM

That would make sense. I know that sometime during the AEnima period at live shows Maynard would be in a wheelchair as if he was a patient in a hospital.

Also, I have exactly 69 posts now :)

Last edited by 62827; 06-01-2011 at 08:22 PM..
Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #28

That would make sense. I know that sometime during the AEnima period at live shows Maynard would be in a wheelchair as if he was a patient in a hospital.

Also, I have exactly 69 posts now :)

Last edited by 62827; 06-01-2011 at 08:22 PM..
Lateralareallofus's Avatar Lateralareallofus
06-07-2011, 05:15 AM

haha i never heard that maynard rolled out on a wheelchair back in the aenima days. thats kinda ridiculous.

congrats on the 69 posts bro
Old 06-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #29

haha i never heard that maynard rolled out on a wheelchair back in the aenima days. thats kinda ridiculous.

congrats on the 69 posts bro
62827's Avatar 62827
06-07-2011, 01:44 PM

haha thanks man, although sadly my 69 post streak was short lived :(

and now I wish I can remember when Maynard was doing the whole wheelchair act. I wanna say it was around when they were doing the Lollapalooza tour in the late 90's but I could be mistaken, I just remember reading about it in the article section on this site in one of the concert reviews. You actually learn alot about the band through those articles, I wish they'd update them to atleast 2006 though so I can get to know more about what was going on post Lateralus up until 10K Days!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #30

haha thanks man, although sadly my 69 post streak was short lived :(

and now I wish I can remember when Maynard was doing the whole wheelchair act. I wanna say it was around when they were doing the Lollapalooza tour in the late 90's but I could be mistaken, I just remember reading about it in the article section on this site in one of the concert reviews. You actually learn alot about the band through those articles, I wish they'd update them to atleast 2006 though so I can get to know more about what was going on post Lateralus up until 10K Days!
06-07-2011, 11:39 PM

You should elaborate more on this thought. Now I'm curious as to what you're referring to.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #31

You should elaborate more on this thought. Now I'm curious as to what you're referring to.
06-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Its emotionally difficult for maynard to see his mom in a hospital. You can imagine that she was in a bad condition and literally on her deathbed so its a very emotional time for maynard and relatives.

It is also difficult to see her because she was "the light and the way" aka pure light aka good. Now this little light of hers is saturated by the cold fluorescence. Fluorescent lighting is artificial and is associated with hospitals and other sterile places. This juxtaposes Judith who was boundless, open, and a passionate spirit.

Also it is literally hard to see her because the flourescence sucks and its not the same as seeing someone in daylight.

Anyone else hate flourescent lighting? I never can adjust my eyes to it and i find it has a numbing effect on me.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #32

Its emotionally difficult for maynard to see his mom in a hospital. You can imagine that she was in a bad condition and literally on her deathbed so its a very emotional time for maynard and relatives.

It is also difficult to see her because she was "the light and the way" aka pure light aka good. Now this little light of hers is saturated by the cold fluorescence. Fluorescent lighting is artificial and is associated with hospitals and other sterile places. This juxtaposes Judith who was boundless, open, and a passionate spirit.

Also it is literally hard to see her because the flourescence sucks and its not the same as seeing someone in daylight.

Anyone else hate flourescent lighting? I never can adjust my eyes to it and i find it has a numbing effect on me.
62827's Avatar 62827
06-09-2011, 01:13 PM

I am not a fan either. It makes me feel "drugged" in a way just being in a room with fluorescent lighting, like my eyes have strange filters infront of them that makes everything bright and hazy. But yeah now I understand the double entendre aegean_okra mentioned earlier.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #33

I am not a fan either. It makes me feel "drugged" in a way just being in a room with fluorescent lighting, like my eyes have strange filters infront of them that makes everything bright and hazy. But yeah now I understand the double entendre aegean_okra mentioned earlier.
07-16-2011, 04:34 PM

I thought of school.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #34
dsl
Banned.

Bincount™: 1278

I thought of school.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
08-12-2011, 12:06 PM

I'm thinking fried chicken and porn, giggidy giggidy
Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #35
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

I'm thinking fried chicken and porn, giggidy giggidy
02-25-2014, 02:45 PM

I think both songs are the hospital part one as she's dying part two acceptance. I hear breathing on a respirator. The pot Judith speaking to him or his interpitIon of his final understanding of her faith and life. Rosetta a reflection coming to grips with and understanding of faith. Intension funeral whispers work hard stay in school listen to your mother your father was right right in two Judith's asscention and that worlds view of us
Just my opinion
Old 02-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #36
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I think both songs are the hospital part one as she's dying part two acceptance. I hear breathing on a respirator. The pot Judith speaking to him or his interpitIon of his final understanding of her faith and life. Rosetta a reflection coming to grips with and understanding of faith. Intension funeral whispers work hard stay in school listen to your mother your father was right right in two Judith's asscention and that worlds view of us
Just my opinion

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply