opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 07. Hooker with a Penis
User Name
Password
Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 AM   #1

Bincount™: 58
similar guitar riff with jambi...

i didn't take the time to search to see if this topic was already discussed... if so, i appologize and give everyone permission to stone me... not to death, just until i'm coughing up blood, then you can stop...

on to the thread now... i was listening to hooker and remembered i noticed a while back that the guitar riff that adam starts playing when the vocals kick in is almost identical to the opening guitar riff in jambi...

and the two songs seem to be complete opposites of each other lyrically... hooker with a penis seems to be more about the advancement of the ego with earthly possessions and money and stuff and all the false glory of being gluttonous... and on the other side with jambi... we have a complete detachment from earthly treasures for now it's realized that they really don't matter... "i would wish it all away... no (prize, price) that could hold sway or justify my giving away my center" as compared to " i sold my soul to make a record"... the "sold my soul" line also goes along with "(tempted,shout to) the devil with my song and got what i wanted all along"...

maybe not intentional, but interesting nonetheless...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #2

Re: similar guitar riff with jambi...

it would be cool if anyone would comment on this... i was hoping to get some agreeance, but now even criticism will do...
Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I'm in class right now, but don't worry, I'll check it out once I get back to my dorm.
"I went to the park and saw a kid flying a kite. The kid was really excited. I don't know why, that's what they're supposed to do. Now if he had a chair on the other end of that string, I would have been impressed."
--Mitch Hedberg

"The reason our institutions, our traditional religions, are crumbling is because they're no longer relevant."
-- Bill Hicks
Old 05-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Yeah, I see what you mean. It might be a coincidence, but I'm that short riff is basically identical to the first part of the opening Jambi riff.
"I went to the park and saw a kid flying a kite. The kid was really excited. I don't know why, that's what they're supposed to do. Now if he had a chair on the other end of that string, I would have been impressed."
--Mitch Hedberg

"The reason our institutions, our traditional religions, are crumbling is because they're no longer relevant."
-- Bill Hicks
Old 05-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Nah, man. Same notes, D and F, but a completely different pattern and feel.

Last edited by meshuggahj; 05-20-2008 at 09:15 AM..
Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshuggahj View Post
Nah, man. Same notes, D and F, but a completely different pattern and feel.
yeah that's what i said... similar, not exact... and then opposite lyric content... maybe i'm going to deep... overthinking right???
Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

adam jones' style isn't about playing fast as hell. however, the riff in jambi is certainly one of the fastest he's put out.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 94

True. A lot of the time, his notes aren't as quick and, may I say, musically curt as they are in Jambi.

It's a change, but not a negative one, and yes, I also concur with the fact that, though Jambi sounds similar, it's not the exact same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_bergeron View Post
yeah that's what i said... similar, not exact... and then opposite lyric content... maybe i'm going to deep... overthinking right???

Believe me, you'll recognize overthinking immediately when you see it. :)
Old 06-16-2008, 06:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshuggahj View Post
adam jones' style isn't about playing fast as hell. however, the riff in jambi is certainly one of the fastest he's put out.
and the cool thing about it is that it doesn't require as much finger movement as you would think.... it's just plucks and pull-offs..... really not hard once you get it....

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: