Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2007
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
11-08-2007, 12:59 AM

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:59 AM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
Dec 05 Portland, OR Memorial Coliseum

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!
Freemena
12-06-2007, 01:09 AM

I was there. It was amazing, beautiful and inspiring. I did see why everyone makes fun of people that walk around wearing "Tool" t-shirts... about 20% of the population seemed to be in one and it was hilarious. Trans Am opened and the drummer and guitarist were pretty good, but I couldn't figure out why the guy in the pink shirt was on the stage. He did do a pretty good robot voice... but c'mon... it was a robot voice. The next up were the drummer and bassist for King Crimson (They called themselves TU), and they were tight as fuck! You could tell they knew what they were doing and they were just there for shits and giggles. Then Tool came on.

Our seats were directly to the right of the stage, about 30 rows back, so not only could we see the stage clearly, but we could see all the behind the scenes stuff. We saw when the band came out and stood behind the fake wall, and the "drum tech" (more gofer) that grabbed water for Maynard and beer, and beer, and more beer for Justin. It was truly an incredible experience. I have always been Maynard focused, but now that I have seen Danny and Justin actually play, no more. They were phenomenal. My memory is a wee bit clouded due to all the minutes spent in the smoking section before Tool came on, but I think this was the setlist (the order may be screwed up a bit).

Jambi
Ions
Stinkfist
Forty-six &2
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Schism
Wings for Marie/ 10,000 days
Lateralus (w/ a drum competition/jam with the drummer from King Crimson and the bass player backing up)
Vicarious

The light show was awesome and all the floor protections were be best part of it. I think the people sitting in the floor seats missed out a bit. It was so powerful. They ended abruptly and Maynard walked off the stage quickly, but the rest of the guys stuck around to listen to the crowd's applause and cheering.

One of the coolest parts of the concert was hearing the crowd singing with Maynard through almost every song, especially Forty-six & 2, Schism and Lateralus. It was like this seething mass of kids in black developed a bond within the music and everyone was on the same page. It was kick ass. An amazing experience.

Thank you for reading my review and have a fantastic day!

P.S. I am exhausted and this may not make sense, but I wanted to get it down before I forgot too much during sleep.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 8223
Re: Dec 05 Portland, OR Memorial Coliseum

I was there. It was amazing, beautiful and inspiring. I did see why everyone makes fun of people that walk around wearing "Tool" t-shirts... about 20% of the population seemed to be in one and it was hilarious. Trans Am opened and the drummer and guitarist were pretty good, but I couldn't figure out why the guy in the pink shirt was on the stage. He did do a pretty good robot voice... but c'mon... it was a robot voice. The next up were the drummer and bassist for King Crimson (They called themselves TU), and they were tight as fuck! You could tell they knew what they were doing and they were just there for shits and giggles. Then Tool came on.

Our seats were directly to the right of the stage, about 30 rows back, so not only could we see the stage clearly, but we could see all the behind the scenes stuff. We saw when the band came out and stood behind the fake wall, and the "drum tech" (more gofer) that grabbed water for Maynard and beer, and beer, and more beer for Justin. It was truly an incredible experience. I have always been Maynard focused, but now that I have seen Danny and Justin actually play, no more. They were phenomenal. My memory is a wee bit clouded due to all the minutes spent in the smoking section before Tool came on, but I think this was the setlist (the order may be screwed up a bit).

Jambi
Ions
Stinkfist
Forty-six &2
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Schism
Wings for Marie/ 10,000 days
Lateralus (w/ a drum competition/jam with the drummer from King Crimson and the bass player backing up)
Vicarious

The light show was awesome and all the floor protections were be best part of it. I think the people sitting in the floor seats missed out a bit. It was so powerful. They ended abruptly and Maynard walked off the stage quickly, but the rest of the guys stuck around to listen to the crowd's applause and cheering.

One of the coolest parts of the concert was hearing the crowd singing with Maynard through almost every song, especially Forty-six & 2, Schism and Lateralus. It was like this seething mass of kids in black developed a bond within the music and everyone was on the same page. It was kick ass. An amazing experience.

Thank you for reading my review and have a fantastic day!

P.S. I am exhausted and this may not make sense, but I wanted to get it down before I forgot too much during sleep.
OFFLINE |  
hobart_mixer
12-06-2007, 01:28 AM

This show was pretty incredible. It was my first Tool show and I was in the second row near the center. It was the coolest alien abduction I've ever been a part of. The light show was amazing and they kicked some serious ass. Trans Am kind of sucked a big one but TU was really cool. I wish they would turn up the levels on Maynard's mic. At the beginning he said something along the lines of "Prepare to shit yourself...alot."
By the way, Freemena, the bassist from Trans Am was using a vocoder for the robot voice.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:28 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

This show was pretty incredible. It was my first Tool show and I was in the second row near the center. It was the coolest alien abduction I've ever been a part of. The light show was amazing and they kicked some serious ass. Trans Am kind of sucked a big one but TU was really cool. I wish they would turn up the levels on Maynard's mic. At the beginning he said something along the lines of "Prepare to shit yourself...alot."
By the way, Freemena, the bassist from Trans Am was using a vocoder for the robot voice.
OFFLINE |  
the white's Avatar the white
12-06-2007, 05:34 AM

5th tool show. you could tell maynard was fighting through his viral infection, a few songs-off on parts here and there- anyway, really incredible show-dc was bringing it. visuals, were insane. Wings/10,000 days a definite stand out. TU 's opening set and Lateralus special guest appearance were sick. great night, wow its late, too blazed now to keep typing. sleeepy
Old 12-06-2007, 05:34 AM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

5th tool show. you could tell maynard was fighting through his viral infection, a few songs-off on parts here and there- anyway, really incredible show-dc was bringing it. visuals, were insane. Wings/10,000 days a definite stand out. TU 's opening set and Lateralus special guest appearance were sick. great night, wow its late, too blazed now to keep typing. sleeepy
12-06-2007, 08:34 AM

My first Tool show. Sigh, beautiful. It wasn't quite what I expected, it was better then that. The thing I noticed was that after their break, when they played Wings/10,000 Days, almost everybody sat down in this silent awed respect. I went to the show with a couple people who haven't heard their new stuff (Lateralus & 10,000 Days) so they didn't recognize a few of the tracks. Now they really want to hear those two albums. Came in a with a like of Tool, left a fan. Only problem was that I could barely hear maynard sing and when I did it sounded squeaky. My ears are still ringing, damn they play loud. Very impressive show.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

My first Tool show. Sigh, beautiful. It wasn't quite what I expected, it was better then that. The thing I noticed was that after their break, when they played Wings/10,000 Days, almost everybody sat down in this silent awed respect. I went to the show with a couple people who haven't heard their new stuff (Lateralus & 10,000 Days) so they didn't recognize a few of the tracks. Now they really want to hear those two albums. Came in a with a like of Tool, left a fan. Only problem was that I could barely hear maynard sing and when I did it sounded squeaky. My ears are still ringing, damn they play loud. Very impressive show.
12-06-2007, 10:29 AM

This was my third Tool show and it was the best concert experience I've ever had, bar none. I was front row, just to the right of Danny. Since I was right under the PA and was getting mostly direct stage-sound, I can't speak for the house mix, but from where I was, it was the best live sound quality I've ever heard. They were tighter than the last time I saw them (Nov. 6, '01), and they were pretty tight then! Everything about this show was just perfection. Great setlist, incredible performance, brilliant sound, fun Trey Gunn guest spot. I even loved the lights and video, which had underwhelmed me on the Lateralus tour.

Incredible show- a 100 on a scale of 1 - 10. Thank you, Tool!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

This was my third Tool show and it was the best concert experience I've ever had, bar none. I was front row, just to the right of Danny. Since I was right under the PA and was getting mostly direct stage-sound, I can't speak for the house mix, but from where I was, it was the best live sound quality I've ever heard. They were tighter than the last time I saw them (Nov. 6, '01), and they were pretty tight then! Everything about this show was just perfection. Great setlist, incredible performance, brilliant sound, fun Trey Gunn guest spot. I even loved the lights and video, which had underwhelmed me on the Lateralus tour.

Incredible show- a 100 on a scale of 1 - 10. Thank you, Tool!
OFFLINE |  
aperfectblue
12-06-2007, 11:44 AM

As was already pointed out, it was a very good show. My third T00L experience. Too, I'm not sure if it was just the Coliseum that made the sound how it was, with Maynard seeming to be drowned out at times by the loud music, or if it was his mic being turned down lower. Whatever the case, you could still hear his vocals and he seemed alright. I couldn't detect any evidence of a throat infection which is a good thing.

A couple songs in, Maynard greeted us and declared, "Be prepared to poop your pants!" "There's gonna be a lot of butt rumblin' going on."

Setlist was the same as the most recent shows.

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood

...Intermission w/ Lights and the already seen shot of the Vicarious video. Only the person looking up at the sun was slightly moving...

Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious

Some have asked whether or not they're playing the new Vicarious video at the shows, and I can say last night at least, they did not. Seems they'll likely save it until it comes out on December 18th. Which is fine, since they display incredible visuals nonetheless.

Stand Out Songs:
Stinkfist, Schism, Lateralus, Vicarious

The combo of Wings for Marie and 10,000 doesn't quite seem to be something to be played live. They pulled it off perfectly, with the great effects and so on, but with the mellow song you have a hard time hearing the vocals most of the time, and following it. The same can be said for Rosetta Stoned. Although both were great acts to see, performance wise.

All things considered, this was a great show. Well worth the price and 2 hour drive. Another positive was that I wasn't surrounded by too many people who were either stoned, drunk, or both. *Shakes Head* So that made it pleasant, being around people who enjoyed actually going to a T00L show to listen and take in the act.

I don't think this'll top the Lateralus Tour, but T00L is still THE show to see. The measuring stick in my mind, for other shows to be compared against.

Thanks T00L!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

As was already pointed out, it was a very good show. My third T00L experience. Too, I'm not sure if it was just the Coliseum that made the sound how it was, with Maynard seeming to be drowned out at times by the loud music, or if it was his mic being turned down lower. Whatever the case, you could still hear his vocals and he seemed alright. I couldn't detect any evidence of a throat infection which is a good thing.

A couple songs in, Maynard greeted us and declared, "Be prepared to poop your pants!" "There's gonna be a lot of butt rumblin' going on."

Setlist was the same as the most recent shows.

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood

...Intermission w/ Lights and the already seen shot of the Vicarious video. Only the person looking up at the sun was slightly moving...

Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious

Some have asked whether or not they're playing the new Vicarious video at the shows, and I can say last night at least, they did not. Seems they'll likely save it until it comes out on December 18th. Which is fine, since they display incredible visuals nonetheless.

Stand Out Songs:
Stinkfist, Schism, Lateralus, Vicarious

The combo of Wings for Marie and 10,000 doesn't quite seem to be something to be played live. They pulled it off perfectly, with the great effects and so on, but with the mellow song you have a hard time hearing the vocals most of the time, and following it. The same can be said for Rosetta Stoned. Although both were great acts to see, performance wise.

All things considered, this was a great show. Well worth the price and 2 hour drive. Another positive was that I wasn't surrounded by too many people who were either stoned, drunk, or both. *Shakes Head* So that made it pleasant, being around people who enjoyed actually going to a T00L show to listen and take in the act.

I don't think this'll top the Lateralus Tour, but T00L is still THE show to see. The measuring stick in my mind, for other shows to be compared against.

Thanks T00L!
12-06-2007, 12:45 PM

yeah, great show. I want to see that "devil board" up close that they had on the floor, behind danny and above him connected to the light. Its definitely a decagon with a dorje in the middle and 10 sigils at each point of the star, prob representing the 10 sephers. Also, kept catching glimpses of another sigil on the bigscreen with goetic demon sigils in the middle. It's funny what tool feeds to people without them realizing. What I don't get is all the dipshits trying to take 16kb snapshots on their $5 nokia flipfone?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

yeah, great show. I want to see that "devil board" up close that they had on the floor, behind danny and above him connected to the light. Its definitely a decagon with a dorje in the middle and 10 sigils at each point of the star, prob representing the 10 sephers. Also, kept catching glimpses of another sigil on the bigscreen with goetic demon sigils in the middle. It's funny what tool feeds to people without them realizing. What I don't get is all the dipshits trying to take 16kb snapshots on their $5 nokia flipfone?
OFFLINE |  
kcleveland
12-06-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
Great post! And you will notice as the days pass you will have gone from liking Tool just o.k. to a fan to wanting to see and hear them over and over. Get all the CD's get the lyrics out , crank it up and your Third Eye will open!

Breathe in Union.

Kevin
Old 12-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
Great post! And you will notice as the days pass you will have gone from liking Tool just o.k. to a fan to wanting to see and hear them over and over. Get all the CD's get the lyrics out , crank it up and your Third Eye will open!

Breathe in Union.

Kevin
OFFLINE |  
r2thet's Avatar r2thet
12-06-2007, 03:12 PM

This show was fucking awesome. This was me and my brother's first tool concert and we both loved it =]. My favorite songs played where Stinkfist Schism and Flood. The seats I had where good too. One of the guys a couple rows ahead of me caught one of Danny's drum sticks. I also got a Tool tour hat to remember my experience. If Tool ever comes back to Portland I'm going again.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

This show was fucking awesome. This was me and my brother's first tool concert and we both loved it =]. My favorite songs played where Stinkfist Schism and Flood. The seats I had where good too. One of the guys a couple rows ahead of me caught one of Danny's drum sticks. I also got a Tool tour hat to remember my experience. If Tool ever comes back to Portland I'm going again.
OFFLINE |  
ucrdoh
12-06-2007, 04:12 PM

It was the best concert I have ever been to, hands down. Tool played a great show, I had great seats, a great time with my gf and I. The only problem was we had a drunk guy next to us, just flailing his arms everywhere. Then as he left, he shoved us, and i was trying to get my hoodie, and he almost knocked my gf over. So I shoved him back about 3 feet with his friends in tow. I was just trying to leave, and apparently he was in a hurry.

But, besides that, best concert ever, never been so amazed.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

It was the best concert I have ever been to, hands down. Tool played a great show, I had great seats, a great time with my gf and I. The only problem was we had a drunk guy next to us, just flailing his arms everywhere. Then as he left, he shoved us, and i was trying to get my hoodie, and he almost knocked my gf over. So I shoved him back about 3 feet with his friends in tow. I was just trying to leave, and apparently he was in a hurry.

But, besides that, best concert ever, never been so amazed.
OFFLINE |  
Muladharius
12-06-2007, 07:03 PM

Unchanged setlist. I was a bit disappointed that I was going to know each song on the playlist before going but I have an idea why they play in the order they do: the show starts out with really heavy/rowdy songs that people want to move to. Seeing as how people are probably at their drunkest before the show starts (since I heard rumors of them cutting off alcohol when tool took the stage), getting those songs out of the way would tire out the drinkers by the time 10,000 days would come on so people would perhaps be more prone to sitting still and taking it in. Before 10,000 days was played they had about a 5-10 minute intermission with the Vicarious screen shot, but there were these purple light housings that came down from the rafters that looked quite a bit like eyes. These "eyes" then shot out spotlights that had a green spiral effect on the outside, but in the center of the light was a red haze. A friend of mine who had never seen tool live before said it looked like they were trying to "hypnotize" the audience with this. Made sense at the time as the next song was one meant to be a little calmer and personal.

Danny's drumming was just too over the top. There were several times it sounded like the band had gotten lost but then BAM they'd bring it back together. But in all honesty I am a bit worried about Danny drumming TOO crazily; the way he throws his arms all over the place seemed like he was almost trying to hurt himself again. I wonder if he'll ever reconfigure hsi kit if he has to accomodate his arm if it becomes a recurring problem. In any case though, Danny is one step shy of divine when behind that kit.

As for the drum battle, it was hardly one at all. I didn't hear if the guest drummer was Pat or Sebastian, but I did see Trey Gunn come out for the Lateralus jam. Problem was I couldn't hear him at all and i wonder if he felt the same way as he stormed off about 5 minutes into it, to which Maynard replied "Was it soemthing I said?" As for the drum battle itself, it seemed unfair and just there for Danny to flex his drumming prowess. It was impossible to hear Sebastian/Pat from where I was seated unless focused on him while watching him as well.

In between each song there was a small interlude of either guitar/bass notes. I wonder if these are ideas for new material to be used inthe future just as they did for 10k days during the Lateralus tour. Pay attention to these!

Maynard was very low in the mix. Understandable as he's been sick. I also felt they extended quite a few of the songs other than stinkfist,schism,lateralus to give him some more breathing room to ease the strain on his voice. I hope he isn't starting to lose his voice as a whole!

As for the show itself, unbelieveable. I took two friends who had never seen Tool live before because I wanted them to experience it before they're not around anymore. Both of them left saying they haden't seen anything like it before and that they had a new respect for the band.

Regardless of whatever petty criticism I can come up with a Tool show is still the best show on the planet. I will add more if I can remember any.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Unchanged setlist. I was a bit disappointed that I was going to know each song on the playlist before going but I have an idea why they play in the order they do: the show starts out with really heavy/rowdy songs that people want to move to. Seeing as how people are probably at their drunkest before the show starts (since I heard rumors of them cutting off alcohol when tool took the stage), getting those songs out of the way would tire out the drinkers by the time 10,000 days would come on so people would perhaps be more prone to sitting still and taking it in. Before 10,000 days was played they had about a 5-10 minute intermission with the Vicarious screen shot, but there were these purple light housings that came down from the rafters that looked quite a bit like eyes. These "eyes" then shot out spotlights that had a green spiral effect on the outside, but in the center of the light was a red haze. A friend of mine who had never seen tool live before said it looked like they were trying to "hypnotize" the audience with this. Made sense at the time as the next song was one meant to be a little calmer and personal.

Danny's drumming was just too over the top. There were several times it sounded like the band had gotten lost but then BAM they'd bring it back together. But in all honesty I am a bit worried about Danny drumming TOO crazily; the way he throws his arms all over the place seemed like he was almost trying to hurt himself again. I wonder if he'll ever reconfigure hsi kit if he has to accomodate his arm if it becomes a recurring problem. In any case though, Danny is one step shy of divine when behind that kit.

As for the drum battle, it was hardly one at all. I didn't hear if the guest drummer was Pat or Sebastian, but I did see Trey Gunn come out for the Lateralus jam. Problem was I couldn't hear him at all and i wonder if he felt the same way as he stormed off about 5 minutes into it, to which Maynard replied "Was it soemthing I said?" As for the drum battle itself, it seemed unfair and just there for Danny to flex his drumming prowess. It was impossible to hear Sebastian/Pat from where I was seated unless focused on him while watching him as well.

In between each song there was a small interlude of either guitar/bass notes. I wonder if these are ideas for new material to be used inthe future just as they did for 10k days during the Lateralus tour. Pay attention to these!

Maynard was very low in the mix. Understandable as he's been sick. I also felt they extended quite a few of the songs other than stinkfist,schism,lateralus to give him some more breathing room to ease the strain on his voice. I hope he isn't starting to lose his voice as a whole!

As for the show itself, unbelieveable. I took two friends who had never seen Tool live before because I wanted them to experience it before they're not around anymore. Both of them left saying they haden't seen anything like it before and that they had a new respect for the band.

Regardless of whatever petty criticism I can come up with a Tool show is still the best show on the planet. I will add more if I can remember any.
12-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Well, the concert last night was absolutely superb. This was my third TOOL experience and it was unique and wonderful just like all the others. The set list was great, and sparking up a joint during the beginning of 46 & 2 was a perfect compliment to the insanity the ensued. I was really happy that they played some of the old stuff, as the songs that really struck a chord with me were FLOOD and 46 & 2. Everyone did a great job but I especially noticed how well Danny Carry was doing on the drums, AMAZING! The light shows were definitely cool but I couldn't help but laugh at the alien abduction even if it was cool as fuck, I was straight cracking up. I hope the people around me weren't bothered too much by it, but I couldn't help but think it was some kind of brainwashing hypnotism to turn us all into TOOL ARMY members. Either way it was great. I was really blown away that King Crimson decided to come up, as the first time I saw TOOL at the Arline Schnitzer in Portland was with them and the nostalgic value was unparrelelled. You can tell Maynard (and I assume the other members as well) have a lot of respect for King Crimsons work, and so do I. They are a really great band.

Well, that about sums it up for me. Amazing musical experience. Lots of fun.

Will definitely go to see them again if they come through portland again. My only gripe was the fucking RIDICULOUS merchandise prices, the $40 T-Shirt kept me from getting some memorabilia from the show - because there is just no damn way I will pay $40 for a damn T-SHIRT.

Did anyone get pictures ? I would love to see them!

Last edited by hellotyler; 12-06-2007 at 07:21 PM..
Old 12-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Re: Dec 05

Well, the concert last night was absolutely superb. This was my third TOOL experience and it was unique and wonderful just like all the others. The set list was great, and sparking up a joint during the beginning of 46 & 2 was a perfect compliment to the insanity the ensued. I was really happy that they played some of the old stuff, as the songs that really struck a chord with me were FLOOD and 46 & 2. Everyone did a great job but I especially noticed how well Danny Carry was doing on the drums, AMAZING! The light shows were definitely cool but I couldn't help but laugh at the alien abduction even if it was cool as fuck, I was straight cracking up. I hope the people around me weren't bothered too much by it, but I couldn't help but think it was some kind of brainwashing hypnotism to turn us all into TOOL ARMY members. Either way it was great. I was really blown away that King Crimson decided to come up, as the first time I saw TOOL at the Arline Schnitzer in Portland was with them and the nostalgic value was unparrelelled. You can tell Maynard (and I assume the other members as well) have a lot of respect for King Crimsons work, and so do I. They are a really great band.

Well, that about sums it up for me. Amazing musical experience. Lots of fun.

Will definitely go to see them again if they come through portland again. My only gripe was the fucking RIDICULOUS merchandise prices, the $40 T-Shirt kept me from getting some memorabilia from the show - because there is just no damn way I will pay $40 for a damn T-SHIRT.

Did anyone get pictures ? I would love to see them!

Last edited by hellotyler; 12-06-2007 at 07:21 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Frunobulax's Avatar Frunobulax
12-06-2007, 07:13 PM

Another good Tool Show. I'm not sure if Trans Am was my thing or not, but I have to say that the drummer was damn talented and I always like to hear new things. I really dug the guys from King Crimson, very creative. I've listened to them a little bit, but I'll have to go back and check that out again.

The setlist was the same as posted above but I'm pretty sure they played Lost Keys or something based off of it after 46 & 2.

I won't say too much about the light show and visuals (great) because thats been pretty well covered above. The talent of these guys is always mind blowing. The sheer technical ability of Danny always amazed me. It seemed like the crowd had a lot of energy and I hope that convinces the band to keep Oregon in mind in the future, especially since I'm sure it was a bitch for a lot people to get there with the recent storm damage and I-5 closures, etc.

This was a pretty special show for me as I was diagnosed with a serious rare disease about two years ago. I kind of beat this thing last spring (I'm hoping it stays that way) and it was just a great feeling to be alive and present at such a powerful event. Yep, its good to be alive.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

Another good Tool Show. I'm not sure if Trans Am was my thing or not, but I have to say that the drummer was damn talented and I always like to hear new things. I really dug the guys from King Crimson, very creative. I've listened to them a little bit, but I'll have to go back and check that out again.

The setlist was the same as posted above but I'm pretty sure they played Lost Keys or something based off of it after 46 & 2.

I won't say too much about the light show and visuals (great) because thats been pretty well covered above. The talent of these guys is always mind blowing. The sheer technical ability of Danny always amazed me. It seemed like the crowd had a lot of energy and I hope that convinces the band to keep Oregon in mind in the future, especially since I'm sure it was a bitch for a lot people to get there with the recent storm damage and I-5 closures, etc.

This was a pretty special show for me as I was diagnosed with a serious rare disease about two years ago. I kind of beat this thing last spring (I'm hoping it stays that way) and it was just a great feeling to be alive and present at such a powerful event. Yep, its good to be alive.
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
12-06-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post

Right on, brother/sister!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post

Right on, brother/sister!
12-06-2007, 09:55 PM

the whole show so bad ass- for me 10000days/wings, 46 and 2, and flood were the definite standouts....
Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

the whole show so bad ass- for me 10000days/wings, 46 and 2, and flood were the definite standouts....
12-06-2007, 11:25 PM

I live in Olympia so I had to take a detour to get around I-5; an 8 hour drive for a concert? Absolutely 110% worth it! It was my 4th Tool show (I was in Everett the previous night) and every time I've seen them I say it was the best show I've ever seen, and this was the best show I've ever seen. Tool once again was beyond outstanding, the light show was outstanding, TU was also outstanding, I wasn't to impressed with them in Everett for whatever reason, but this time I was. Lateralus was amazing with the drummer from TU, the song lasted what, 25 minutes it seemed? The ceiling of lasers at the end Vicarious was an awesome way to end it!

Thank you Tool!! See you tomorrow in Spokane!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

I live in Olympia so I had to take a detour to get around I-5; an 8 hour drive for a concert? Absolutely 110% worth it! It was my 4th Tool show (I was in Everett the previous night) and every time I've seen them I say it was the best show I've ever seen, and this was the best show I've ever seen. Tool once again was beyond outstanding, the light show was outstanding, TU was also outstanding, I wasn't to impressed with them in Everett for whatever reason, but this time I was. Lateralus was amazing with the drummer from TU, the song lasted what, 25 minutes it seemed? The ceiling of lasers at the end Vicarious was an awesome way to end it!

Thank you Tool!! See you tomorrow in Spokane!
12-07-2007, 12:17 AM

This was my first concert ever and let me tell you, it rocked. I was on the floor, row 14 in the middle, dead straight to the stage. To keep it short, it was perfect. I was kind of skeptical and nervous that it might be canceled or postponed due to Maynard’s voice but he didn’t disappoint, he sounded great. His voice sounded very much younger then I thought it would. The only complaint I had was that there was a guy 6’5 standing right in front of me and during Wings for Marie I could not here Maynard voice at all.

Set list
· Jambi
· Stinkfist
· Forty-six & 2
· Rosetta Stoned
· Flood
· Schism
· Wings for Marie
· 10,000 days
· Lateralus (w/special guest Tu/ And three beers for Justin)
· Vicarious

PEACE
Old 12-07-2007, 12:17 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first concert ever and let me tell you, it rocked. I was on the floor, row 14 in the middle, dead straight to the stage. To keep it short, it was perfect. I was kind of skeptical and nervous that it might be canceled or postponed due to Maynard’s voice but he didn’t disappoint, he sounded great. His voice sounded very much younger then I thought it would. The only complaint I had was that there was a guy 6’5 standing right in front of me and during Wings for Marie I could not here Maynard voice at all.

Set list
· Jambi
· Stinkfist
· Forty-six & 2
· Rosetta Stoned
· Flood
· Schism
· Wings for Marie
· 10,000 days
· Lateralus (w/special guest Tu/ And three beers for Justin)
· Vicarious

PEACE
OFFLINE |  
innerspacegirl's Avatar innerspacegirl
12-08-2007, 06:15 AM

good times... it was so dank in there.

i met up with airport mesa before the show. he cool. wonder what happened to him...

i really thought maynard would use the front of the stage... at least a little. he was hard to see. he kicked ass though.

my favorite was stinkfist. that's when the show really picked up.

tool fans are sweet. they're more civil than the average rock crowd, predominantly dressed in black, and everyone knows the lyrics. portland had a good vibe. also generous stoners.

yeah, that was quite a show.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:15 AM   #19
hedonist extraordinaire

Bincount™: 2771

good times... it was so dank in there.

i met up with airport mesa before the show. he cool. wonder what happened to him...

i really thought maynard would use the front of the stage... at least a little. he was hard to see. he kicked ass though.

my favorite was stinkfist. that's when the show really picked up.

tool fans are sweet. they're more civil than the average rock crowd, predominantly dressed in black, and everyone knows the lyrics. portland had a good vibe. also generous stoners.

yeah, that was quite a show.
OFFLINE |  
Frunobulax's Avatar Frunobulax
12-08-2007, 08:24 PM

I agree, the crowd is definitely more civil than at most large concerts.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

I agree, the crowd is definitely more civil than at most large concerts.
OFFLINE |  
TOOL-Sharpener
12-09-2007, 11:53 AM

My 2nd Tool show. Much better show than the 2001 Portland show at Memorial Col. Amazing stage show with the lasers adding a lot of ambiance. Crowd was really in it and gave the band a 5 min standing ovation at the conclusion. Jambi was perfect to start the show and get the crowd fired up. 46 & 2 was a high light for me. Not sure if Vicarious was the song I would conclude the show with (maybe Anema instead) but still great. People in the lower rows could not see the visuals on the stage floor itself. The guys from King Crimson were pretty cool too. All in all an amazing show. Thanks Maynard for fighting through your illness for Portland.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

My 2nd Tool show. Much better show than the 2001 Portland show at Memorial Col. Amazing stage show with the lasers adding a lot of ambiance. Crowd was really in it and gave the band a 5 min standing ovation at the conclusion. Jambi was perfect to start the show and get the crowd fired up. 46 & 2 was a high light for me. Not sure if Vicarious was the song I would conclude the show with (maybe Anema instead) but still great. People in the lower rows could not see the visuals on the stage floor itself. The guys from King Crimson were pretty cool too. All in all an amazing show. Thanks Maynard for fighting through your illness for Portland.
OFFLINE |  
Airport Mesa's Avatar Airport Mesa
12-12-2007, 07:28 PM

I missed trans am, but I saw Tu which I dug. My girlfriend and I were in row 14, perfect seats. I had taken some vic's, some ganj cookies and smoked a bit. So I was pissed that I couldn't smoke inside. The floor was on lockdown. Security everywhere, checking everyone that walked by. I met up with innerspacegirl before Tool came on. She was nice to talk to for a few. We both lived in Tucson and moved to Oregon. Sorry K for not calling after the show, H and I decided to get to our hotel. We drove around forever looking for a subway to eat at. I was so exhausted after the experience and the drugs that we just made love and went to bed. I wish we could of chilled, but that day was the first day or our seven day road trip. We went to Spokane to see the show on my b-day. Then onto oroville/tonasket WA. Then to Vernon BC and Vancouver BC. Where by the way, I walked into the New Amsterdam Cafe to smoke a J and they were playing Aenima.

Only complaints, some dude ruined the extended part of stinkfist for me looking for his seat, back and forth like three times. But visuals were awesome. Different from Tucson and the Gorge. Sensory overload for sure. The presentation got better and better through this tour. I didn't like the poster. But I got one in spokane with my bday on it. The separate access was nice for the floor. Just walked right in, no waiting. I was going crazy during Flood. Though, it's hard to dance in seats. I hadn't heard it since my first show in Tucson. It was my highlight. The energy was chill. I enjoyed it and the people and meeting innnerspacegirl. A real person, not an electronic jokester. Seeing a show in my current home state was a relief in a sense.

The lateralus jam I have to say killed in Spokane though. It failed in Portland. But everything else was spiritual. Thanks to you all, hopefully we'll have that experience again sometime.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: The Gulch Jerome, Airport Mesa, Sedona. No longer Eugene, OR. Now Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn
Bincount™: 28

I missed trans am, but I saw Tu which I dug. My girlfriend and I were in row 14, perfect seats. I had taken some vic's, some ganj cookies and smoked a bit. So I was pissed that I couldn't smoke inside. The floor was on lockdown. Security everywhere, checking everyone that walked by. I met up with innerspacegirl before Tool came on. She was nice to talk to for a few. We both lived in Tucson and moved to Oregon. Sorry K for not calling after the show, H and I decided to get to our hotel. We drove around forever looking for a subway to eat at. I was so exhausted after the experience and the drugs that we just made love and went to bed. I wish we could of chilled, but that day was the first day or our seven day road trip. We went to Spokane to see the show on my b-day. Then onto oroville/tonasket WA. Then to Vernon BC and Vancouver BC. Where by the way, I walked into the New Amsterdam Cafe to smoke a J and they were playing Aenima.

Only complaints, some dude ruined the extended part of stinkfist for me looking for his seat, back and forth like three times. But visuals were awesome. Different from Tucson and the Gorge. Sensory overload for sure. The presentation got better and better through this tour. I didn't like the poster. But I got one in spokane with my bday on it. The separate access was nice for the floor. Just walked right in, no waiting. I was going crazy during Flood. Though, it's hard to dance in seats. I hadn't heard it since my first show in Tucson. It was my highlight. The energy was chill. I enjoyed it and the people and meeting innnerspacegirl. A real person, not an electronic jokester. Seeing a show in my current home state was a relief in a sense.

The lateralus jam I have to say killed in Spokane though. It failed in Portland. But everything else was spiritual. Thanks to you all, hopefully we'll have that experience again sometime.
12-21-2007, 10:34 PM

This was my first Tool concert. We sat just above the floor, directly in front of the stage. The show wasn't as awesome as I was expecting but was still a great experience. Everyone on the floor was in chairs, so no mosh pit. The best I could tell it was a sold out show. The crowd was really into it and were on their feet for the entire two hours of Tool.

Trans Am was pretty much a waste of time. They're a three piece instrumental group that combines 80s metal and electronica. It essentially sounded like a jam session with no real song structure or dynamics. The only redeeming thing about their performance was the drummer who managed to make it somewhat interesting.

We were then treated to a surprise performance by two members of King Crimson. They had one fewer member than Trans am but managed to play them out of the water. They played along pre-recorded bass and sound effects tracks. One tune had us thinking of the SNL “more cowbell” skit. Overall it was pretty entertaining and the audience seemed to appreciate their work.

JAMBI
A great opening that really got the audience pumped.

STINKFIST
Possibly the best audience reaction of the night. It was kinda fun with everyone singing along with Maynard. The visuals were a re-cut of the music video which seemed kinda distracting. The extended part in the middle was really great to hear, I hope I can someday find a good recording of it.

46&2
Like many have stated, I too am a bit tired of this song but the opening guitar and bass was great. Probably the second best audience reaction.

SCHISM
Like most of Stimkfist, this was like watching the music video with a live band playing in the corner.

ROSETTA STONED
the distorted vocals were interesting at first but soon got annoying. The drumming was excellent but I was begging for the song to end.

FLOOD
The beginning of the song was pure unadulterated power. Simply awesome! Most of the audience seemed to know the song, so I knew I was among die hards.

WINGS/10000 DAYS
Before 'Wings' began we were treated to an amazing light and laser show. Lots of “ooohs” and “ahhhs” although I was left wondering what it was all about. Wings pt. 1 was a waste of time. I was rather bored. 10,000 Days on the other hand was Tool at it's most powerful and dramatic. The cloud effect on the stage was neat. The performance was a little overpowered by the lasers. I came to see Tool, not Laser Floyd at the planetarium.

LATERALUS
A great rocking performance. Half way through they invited out the King Crimson Guys. The guitarist did a neat solo and the drummers had their duel. The drum-off wasn't as neat as I was expecting from the reviews of previous concerts with the Trans Am drummer. At the end Maynard thanked them and said they stole everything they know from King Crimson and that we should pull our heads out of our asses and get some of that.

VICARIOUS
A good ending but I would have liked one of the more epic songs like Third Eye or 10,000 days. At the end they all embraced and threw stuff into the audience. It was nice to see them have some fun.

Highlights:
The audience was on fire the entire show
The extended part of Stinkfist
The beginning of 46&2
The beginning of Flood
Maynard's strange posing

Lowlights:
I would have liked to hear at least one of my favorite songs: Sober, The Grudge, Hooker with a Penis, The Pot.
At times I felt like we were just watching a music video. The special effects distracted from the performance. I would have liked to see the band more especially Maynard.
Many of the songs had long synthesized beginnings that were completely pointless.
Wings pt. 1
Rosetta Stoned
I wish I could have been closer to the stage.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool concert. We sat just above the floor, directly in front of the stage. The show wasn't as awesome as I was expecting but was still a great experience. Everyone on the floor was in chairs, so no mosh pit. The best I could tell it was a sold out show. The crowd was really into it and were on their feet for the entire two hours of Tool.

Trans Am was pretty much a waste of time. They're a three piece instrumental group that combines 80s metal and electronica. It essentially sounded like a jam session with no real song structure or dynamics. The only redeeming thing about their performance was the drummer who managed to make it somewhat interesting.

We were then treated to a surprise performance by two members of King Crimson. They had one fewer member than Trans am but managed to play them out of the water. They played along pre-recorded bass and sound effects tracks. One tune had us thinking of the SNL “more cowbell” skit. Overall it was pretty entertaining and the audience seemed to appreciate their work.

JAMBI
A great opening that really got the audience pumped.

STINKFIST
Possibly the best audience reaction of the night. It was kinda fun with everyone singing along with Maynard. The visuals were a re-cut of the music video which seemed kinda distracting. The extended part in the middle was really great to hear, I hope I can someday find a good recording of it.

46&2
Like many have stated, I too am a bit tired of this song but the opening guitar and bass was great. Probably the second best audience reaction.

SCHISM
Like most of Stimkfist, this was like watching the music video with a live band playing in the corner.

ROSETTA STONED
the distorted vocals were interesting at first but soon got annoying. The drumming was excellent but I was begging for the song to end.

FLOOD
The beginning of the song was pure unadulterated power. Simply awesome! Most of the audience seemed to know the song, so I knew I was among die hards.

WINGS/10000 DAYS
Before 'Wings' began we were treated to an amazing light and laser show. Lots of “ooohs” and “ahhhs” although I was left wondering what it was all about. Wings pt. 1 was a waste of time. I was rather bored. 10,000 Days on the other hand was Tool at it's most powerful and dramatic. The cloud effect on the stage was neat. The performance was a little overpowered by the lasers. I came to see Tool, not Laser Floyd at the planetarium.

LATERALUS
A great rocking performance. Half way through they invited out the King Crimson Guys. The guitarist did a neat solo and the drummers had their duel. The drum-off wasn't as neat as I was expecting from the reviews of previous concerts with the Trans Am drummer. At the end Maynard thanked them and said they stole everything they know from King Crimson and that we should pull our heads out of our asses and get some of that.

VICARIOUS
A good ending but I would have liked one of the more epic songs like Third Eye or 10,000 days. At the end they all embraced and threw stuff into the audience. It was nice to see them have some fun.

Highlights:
The audience was on fire the entire show
The extended part of Stinkfist
The beginning of 46&2
The beginning of Flood
Maynard's strange posing

Lowlights:
I would have liked to hear at least one of my favorite songs: Sober, The Grudge, Hooker with a Penis, The Pot.
At times I felt like we were just watching a music video. The special effects distracted from the performance. I would have liked to see the band more especially Maynard.
Many of the songs had long synthesized beginnings that were completely pointless.
Wings pt. 1
Rosetta Stoned
I wish I could have been closer to the stage.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply